Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288204 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2450 on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »
I haven't bid on the spinning wheel yet.  Trademe has one week listings, it is now on week 3 (at least).  I have a chance to try another make of wheel this weekend, so this may end up not being my "dream" wheel anyway. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2451 on: March 04, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
AND with 8" of snow overnight I've decided this actually wasn't a stupid thing to be lusting after. Should probably post it in the "share your badassity" stubborn engineer makes 45 year old snowblower run like new... well except of the vicegrips.

You're absolutely entitled to brag about that, and to lust after a better machine when that one finally kicks the bucket.

(Also, from someone in Georgia right now whose heart has always belonged to northern New England: your snow sounds fabulous, and I'm jealous. :))

Thanks. I can't believe how well it is running now. Spent a total of about $25 in new parts thanks to my father's collection of old engines I salvaged the most critical part from.

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2452 on: March 04, 2020, 07:35:48 PM »
I've been lusting after a record player and a bunch of my favorite albums to spin for quite some time.

I really don't need it, I can stream any album I want to the stereo with a click.  Also, I have a lot of favorite albums, if I set down this path I could see myself purchasing FAR too many. 

So I'll continue to resist.  Sigh.  I try to remind myself that storing physical media is a PITA, that it would require shelves I don't want, that records scratch...

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2453 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »
An electric motorcycle.

I've wanted one ever since a test ride of a Zero a few years ago.  I've said to myself that once one is capable of 150 miles of range a freeway speed I'm going to do it.

They're almost there. 

Damon Motorcycles, a startup in Vancouver, BC, is floating my boat right now.  I hope it doesn't turn out to be vaporware.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2454 on: March 10, 2020, 02:09:59 AM »
What I want? A boring/mundane life with no crises.

Cost? Who knows

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2455 on: March 10, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
What I want? A boring/mundane life with no crises.

Cost? Who knows
According to old mastercard ads, it might be priceless.

My peeps - I had an epiphany walking to work this morning when I was "I am never going to spend FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a HANDBAG" and blinding moral clarity that this wasn't acceptable to me, so that crisis has now passed. I wonder what the next wild-eyed start will be.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2456 on: March 10, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
Does this count?

Spoiler: show

It's absolutely impractical for me to even be thinking about it at this point in time for many reasons, but I want it.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2457 on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Does this count?

It's absolutely impractical for me to even be thinking about it at this point in time for many reasons, but I want it.

I'd buy it. So many papaya and banana. Seems to be central/south america or somewhere in Africa, lakeside?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2458 on: March 10, 2020, 08:49:40 AM »
Does this count?

I'd buy it. So many papaya and banana. Seems to be central/south america or somewhere in Africa, lakeside?

Roatan, Honduras.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2459 on: March 12, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »
Thinking about cars again here...  I currently have 2 (sportscars), but both of them parts are getting super scarce.  Have already had to retrofit parts from newer model cars onto them just to keep them going.  May have to let them go at some point soon.  I'm in the 2020 cohort (which includes enough buffer to easily get a new car of the Toyota 86 variety if I so chose).  However, the 86 would not be a true replacement, just doesn't spark the same joy that I have every time I get into my current cars.  I really wouldn't *need* a car I guess if I moved forward on schedule either, but I think I'd be missing something I truly love.  There's nothing like the sheer joy of a good handling sportscar and the open road.

Soooo, have started looking at earlier Gallardos and the C8 Corvette...  I figure if I work an extra 2 years I could easily afford the purchase and ongoing maintenance (at this rate if I order a Corvette I probably wouldn't have it for 2 years, the demand is insanely outstripping supply on the model).  Stupid as I have no need whatsoever, but I don't know that I can get myself to live without a car to go out and have fun in.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2460 on: March 12, 2020, 02:06:40 PM »
My car list had been cured for the moment. The money I was not comfortable investing at thieves p/e ratios I'll hopefully be diluting until the market soon. When though...? With a plan to have that money no longer burning a hike in a high you'll savings account it's no longer around for contemplating spending and I sure as heck an not financing a car... Unless maybe 0% rates if manufacturers get desperate. Hmmm.... Maybe not completely cured.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2461 on: March 12, 2020, 05:44:59 PM »

Soooo, have started looking at earlier Gallardos and the C8 Corvette...  I figure if I work an extra 2 years I could easily afford the purchase and ongoing maintenance (at this rate if I order a Corvette I probably wouldn't have it for 2 years, the demand is insanely outstripping supply on the model).  Stupid as I have no need whatsoever, but I don't know that I can get myself to live without a car to go out and have fun in.

You do you. I think there are few toys that would give you (or me) as much pleasure out of US $60k as a C8 Corvette. Lovely car.

Unfortunately it's going to cost about $160,000 here in Australia - someone at head office has got their head up their arse about the conversion - so I suspect demand here will be muted.

I'm still considering a used McLaren and their prices keep going in free fall - and I'm guessing the current economic conditions aren't going to help residuals either. I guess there's a silver lining to every cloud.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #2462 on: March 30, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
A full size F350/3500 pickup truck and a 4 season truck camper. We currently live full time in a home made RV(High roof Ram Promaster). We've been travelling for 2 yrs(as of middle of April) and we haven't come even remotely close to seeing all the things we want to/getting bored with the lifestyle.

We discussed getting an RV, but we really didn't like the limitations the size would put on where we can go in the woods/ability to get around in cities, and really would prefer to NOT have a tow vehicle. Finally, we hit upon getting a truck camper, which would necessitate getting a truck to go with.

I've been browsing hard side/4 season/no slide truck campers and have a list of 11 options to narrow down from. For the trucks, I have been researching but finding accurate payload info is challenging(I want something that when camper is fully loaded with water, propane and gear I still have about 1000 lb in excess payload due to us liking to go down forest roads in the middle of nowhere and get lost for a week or two.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2463 on: March 30, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
A fancy new e-bike, such as the Frey CC (currently offered with free shipping, which is normally $800). 

I have a perfectly fine e-bike already.  Battery capacity has degraded somewhat over 5000+ miles, but it still does absolutely everything I need it to.  I do plan to get another e-bike at some point so DW can have one, and probably would shift my current one to her since I'm the one who does all of the riding.  Still...it's at least 1-2 years early on that.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2464 on: March 30, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »
Grocery shopping at a leisurely pace, in a store with well-stocked groceries, and without worrying about contracting a virus.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2465 on: March 30, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »
Grocery shopping at a leisurely pace, in a store with well-stocked groceries, and without worrying about contracting a virus.
I was going to post something similar.....I long for the days when grocery shopping didn't feel like Russian roulette.

But it's not stupid to yearn to feel safe again.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2466 on: March 30, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
A full size F350/3500 pickup truck and a 4 season truck camper. We currently live full time in a home made RV(High roof Ram Promaster). We've been travelling for 2 yrs(as of middle of April) and we haven't come even remotely close to seeing all the things we want to/getting bored with the lifestyle.

We discussed getting an RV, but we really didn't like the limitations the size would put on where we can go in the woods/ability to get around in cities, and really would prefer to NOT have a tow vehicle. Finally, we hit upon getting a truck camper, which would necessitate getting a truck to go with.

I've been browsing hard side/4 season/no slide truck campers and have a list of 11 options to narrow down from. For the trucks, I have been researching but finding accurate payload info is challenging(I want something that when camper is fully loaded with water, propane and gear I still have about 1000 lb in excess payload due to us liking to go down forest roads in the middle of nowhere and get lost for a week or two.

What about a 4wd E-350 Sportsmobile?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2467 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
A big box of king crab from Costco that is about $300.

That is insanity! Hahahaha

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2468 on: March 30, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »
A fancy new e-bike, such as the Frey CC (currently offered with free shipping, which is normally $800). 

I have a perfectly fine e-bike already.  Battery capacity has degraded somewhat over 5000+ miles, but it still does absolutely everything I need it to.  I do plan to get another e-bike at some point so DW can have one, and probably would shift my current one to her since I'm the one who does all of the riding.  Still...it's at least 1-2 years early on that.

I too have this lust.  Nothing wrong with my current e-bike other than it is hub drive instead of mid, and the battery is under the rack over the rear tire instead of on the downtube.  It's a bit top heavy and ALL the weight is in the rear. 

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2469 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:17 AM »
Two things I'm itching for at the moment:

• New Bedroom Furniture ($500): Staying at home in New York City these past few weeks has made me hypersensitive to my surroundings. For a while now, I've been wanting to replace the mismatched nightstands and rug in my bedroom with something more cozy and aesthetically pleasing. The quarantine has taken this urge to a new level.
  • Roller Hockey Equipment ($1000): We just extended our lease another 24 months and there is a beautiful athletic park across the street with the perfect surface for roller hockey. I used to play competitive ice hockey, and lately I've developed a real urge to pick up skates, gloves, and a stick. It would be a creative outlet and excellent source of cardio.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2470 on: March 31, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »
I'm into the second week of working from home, which has been a steep learning curve - particularly since I conducted a fairly drastic change of career direction at the start of March.

Right now I'm working in an Ikea Poang chair in our spare bedroom, with my home laptop running my workspace and my work laptop on the floor beside me for email and calendar access. I'm already looking enviously at desks and monitors which would let me work more comfortably, notwithstanding that this is a temporary arrangement. It wouldn't even be especially expensive; I just can't currently justify buying a desk, office chair, monitor, keyboard, mouse and whatever else to make the next few weeks a little more comfortable.

That said, there's a strong possibility that part of my work will move permanently to a remote setup. If that does happen, I'll be shopping for home office equipment immediately!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2471 on: June 13, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
Too much time at home is bad for me...

Been researching homes in the area we want to retire. If the market drops it will be tempting to try to buy something. But it isn’t the right time for that.

I was looking at thread up for secondhand clothes even though I don’t need anything new.

But my big want is a camper. I’ve wanted one for a while and we were supposed to start saving to buy in cash this year. Travel is important to me and especially now, camping is easier and cheaper than many other options. However, pandemics happen and we need to focus on the EF. Getting the EF from 4 to 12 months is more important than a camper.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2472 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »

An electric bike (e-bike) for $1300 to $2000.  Since the ones that I like have not been in stock for a while, it made it easy not to give in.  I'll keep riding my man-powered Trek for now.

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2473 on: June 17, 2020, 09:35:05 PM »
A big box of king crab from Costco that is about $300.

That is insanity! Hahahaha

Do it!  Well worth it! :)

We bought a box of lobsters from Costco a couple months ago and we still have a few lobsters left.  In some way it is frugal since we do not go to a restaurant for lobsters.  After we finish them we will buy a box of king crab next.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2474 on: June 18, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »

An electric bike (e-bike) for $1300 to $2000.  Since the ones that I like have not been in stock for a while, it made it easy not to give in.  I'll keep riding my man-powered Trek for now.

Depending on how often you plan on using it, this doesn't sound stupid to me at all. I've got 1,600 miles on mine so far and I do not regret it one bit.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2475 on: June 18, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »

Depending on how often you plan on using it, this doesn't sound stupid to me at all. I've got 1,600 miles on mine so far and I do not regret it one bit.

I think you're right, it's not really stupid, but since I already have a bike that ride a lot, I feel like it is harder to justify.  I ride mostly for exercise, but some of those hills and strong headwinds can be a killer!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2476 on: June 18, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
Nothing at the moment, as I just renewed my hifi system for another decade. For everything else, if I need something I buy it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2477 on: June 18, 2020, 11:26:35 PM »
I think I've posted something similar before, but high-end riding boots in an impractical color.  I just discovered a brand where you can build custom boots in a million combinations with a 3-D mockup, and they have a leather color that would match my green show coat (which I've never had a chance to show in).  I'm telling myself I can get a pair for my birthday, so at least that puts it off for 4.5 more months, then it will be mud season and I won't want fancy boots...

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2478 on: June 22, 2020, 09:10:06 PM »
Mountain property. Thinking it will be nice for camping. Found a nice property for a reasonable price. Just don’t have the money and not sure how much we would actually use it.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2479 on: June 22, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
So the 570S that I've been looking at has dropped from $300,000 to $260,000 in the last 9 months. Not bad movement, just gotta wait for it to drop a bit more then snatch it up! Maybe.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2480 on: June 23, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »
Our cottage. It would cost us $15K to fly one way back to Canada to visit the cottage, and then we wouldn’t be able to get back to China so it would cost us both our jobs, but I really really really want to spend time at the lake right now.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2481 on: June 23, 2020, 04:45:49 AM »
I'm happy to say I don't have any (material) needs at this moment. Only wants are making house nicer (cleaning/decluttering, yard improvements) but those things involve time and sweat, not money. Did get to go to the beach for a few days, and that was reasonable cost and well worth it (but too short).

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2482 on: June 23, 2020, 05:03:23 AM »
Currently contemplating outdoor toys - one or more of:

-A bike for trail/light off-road riding (already have a road bike)
-A Paddleboard
-A kayak

Actually, most of these don't sound all that stupid/frivolous given Covid making outdoor activities that much more attractive relative to indoor ones.  Although I could definitely *MAKE* them frivolous depending on how much I choose to spend.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2483 on: June 23, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »
So the 570S that I've been looking at has dropped from $300,000 to $260,000 in the last 9 months. Not bad movement, just gotta wait for it to drop a bit more then snatch it up! Maybe.
$4,444/month! They'll definitely keep dropping. Maybe down to $150-160k AUD in 3 years?

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2484 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
$4,444/month! They'll definitely keep dropping. Maybe down to $150-160k AUD in 3 years?

New 570S here is about $400k after all taxes and on-roads. The cheapest 3-year-old model is going for about $280k after all taxes and on-roads. I assume with a bit of negotiation that would go down to $250k. We haven't really seen what will happen to the Sport Series McLarens after they come out of warranty but I think there's a good chance they'd plummet like a stone so yeah, I think a 5-6 year old 570S would definitely be had for sub $150k. At that price it is seriously good value. Because that's about how much a C63/Boxster S costs here (so I assume about $70k USD equivalent).

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2485 on: June 23, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
I would like a professional paint job in my condo with high quality paint to make the 40 year old walls look smooth and clean again.  I’d also like HOA-approved window covering a that is NOT ugly or flimsy but blocks light and sound.   I’d also like a new recliner that fits my body better than the cheap Wayfair recliners I bought prior to a surgery in 2018.  I wanted all this pre pandemic but being home more has made the wanting sharper. 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2486 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
A house contract for my birthday, which is Friday. Since the listing agreement was just signed today, and the absolute earliest it could possibly be on the MLS is Thursday, that is definitely a stupid thing I am lusting after right now.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2487 on: June 26, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
I broke down and bought a smart lock for my front door.  There were (maybe not so good) reasons for this, but it was way more than I'd planned on spending today.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2488 on: June 26, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
an air fryer

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2489 on: June 26, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer, Classic Plus or Artisan series. Factory-refurb will do.

Been making bread weekly for last 4 years in a bread maker. Want to use a stand mixer to make multiple breads and shapes since kids are growing and eat more and they want variety. Plus motivation to make breads seen in baking shows.

The current $50 bread maker works very well, no need to get rid of, hence can't really justify spend a couple of hundred on a new machine. Plus have to find a storage space since it is 14.5 inches tall in the tilt position.

#FirstWorldProblemsBeingMarriedToFrugalCPAWife

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2490 on: June 26, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »
As the amount of hair remaining on my head slowly dwindles, my lusting for a Tilley hat keeps increasing.

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/t4mo-1-hikers-hat.html

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #2491 on: June 26, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
As the amount of hair remaining on my head slowly dwindles, my lusting for a Tilley hat keeps increasing.

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/t4mo-1-hikers-hat.html

Gotta say, I love love love my Tilley hat.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2492 on: June 26, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »
Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer, Classic Plus or Artisan series. Factory-refurb will do.

Been making bread weekly for last 4 years in a bread maker. Want to use a stand mixer to make multiple breads and shapes since kids are growing and eat more and they want variety. Plus motivation to make breads seen in baking shows.

The current $50 bread maker works very well, no need to get rid of, hence can't really justify spend a couple of hundred on a new machine. Plus have to find a storage space since it is 14.5 inches tall in the tilt position.

You might have a use case - I certainly don't and I think my cost-per-use for the stand mixer (in crystal blue) is down to $70. Plus it's half a centimetre too tall to fit in any of our shelves or cupboards (non-adjustable) and eats up a spectacular amount of bench space. Oh and weighs 10kg.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2493 on: June 26, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
I can't stop looking at RVs and I already have (a tiny) van.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2494 on: June 26, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
SRAM Force 1 AXS Power Meter.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2495 on: June 26, 2020, 08:18:54 PM »
an air fryer
An air fryer is actually a convection oven. So if your oven has a convection feature, you don’t need an air fryer! I ended up getting a $60 toaster oven with convection and love it - it has a much larger capacity, and doubles as a dehydrator, toaster, etc. it’s well worth not having to heat my whole house with the oven most nights as it handles dinner for 2 quite easily and in less time.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2496 on: June 27, 2020, 06:01:38 AM »
SRAM Force 1 AXS Power Meter.

So I’ve been looking at getting crank based power too, what is it about the AXS that makes it better?  For me, I keep wobbling between the Power2Max NGEco, the quarq dzero dub and “you suck at cycling anyways, stop looking at power meters”.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2497 on: June 27, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »
A new camera.  The something from the Fujifilm GFX line with the 50mm and the 110 mm lenses.  .... 'spensive.  Will not.  But want to.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2498 on: June 27, 2020, 08:06:41 AM »

You might have a use case - I certainly don't and I think my cost-per-use for the stand mixer (in crystal blue) is down to $70. Plus it's half a centimetre too tall to fit in any of our shelves or cupboards (non-adjustable) and eats up a spectacular amount of bench space. Oh and weighs 10kg.

I have a professional 5+ and love it.  I use it at a couple of times a week, almost always for kneading bread dough.  I make bread far more often than I would if I had to knead by hand.  I would choose the mixer over a bread machine without hesitation because it gives you a lot more flexibility, but the choice might be more difficult if I already had a bread machine. 

By the way, Kitchenaids seem to be built to last.  By coincidence, mine "walked" its way off the counter and fell about three feet to a ceramic tile floor.  It dented the head a bit, but did absolutely no other damage and it still works perfectly.  I've heard that the older ones were built better than newer ones (mines relatively new), but I'm impressed with the current build quality.  BTW, I'm told that the artisan series has some plastic gears and internals and that the upper level ones use metal.  I'd look into it if I were buying one. 

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2499 on: June 27, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
A new camera.  The something from the Fujifilm GFX line with the 50mm and the 110 mm lenses.  .... 'spensive.  Will not.  But want to.

Not quite as grand, but I've been browsing for an upgrade to me Eos M with a cracked screen, and a nice tripod for video. After much deliberation, I made do with a <£10 ebay special tripod, and made myself a beanbag out of an old neoprene case from a telephone headset and some dried beans.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!