Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1295386 times)

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2300 on: October 16, 2019, 08:19:07 AM »
Refurbished 2019 Macbook Pro. My current personal computer, a 2012 Macbook Air, is still going strong (whenever I do use it). Yet, I do notice a considerable slowdown at times. I would also like to begin digitizing a lot of my stuff. I know I will eventually need a new laptop - but do I need it now?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2301 on: October 17, 2019, 03:32:11 AM »
two things actually.

Looking at /for /thinking about buying what would be an ideal home for us
Been looking at like 2 year old low mileage Toyota Pickups.

The house thing I have been doing casually for the last two years I'd guess but the pickup is new. Most things just stay the same but will see.

CharlesBronzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2302 on: October 17, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »
Google nest hub max, when it becomes available.

I will finally get to see the hundreds of family  photos locked up in multiple phones and cloud storage.

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub_max

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2303 on: October 18, 2019, 01:47:53 AM »
Google nest hub max, when it becomes available.

I will finally get to see the hundreds of family  photos locked up in multiple phones and cloud storage.

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub_max

I always have concerns about the privacy of Google assistant / Alexa / similar "always listening" devices. This article is centered on Alexa, but they're all similar: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/09/alexa-are-you-invading-my-privacy-the-dark-side-of-our-voice-assistants

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #2304 on: October 18, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
A new fake Christmas tree, pre-lit with colour changing LED bulbs.  I have a perfectly good fake tree already (bought 14 years ago, fake because old apartment building banned real trees) and a bunch of perfectly good white LED lights for it and I really, really don't need to buy another piece of plastic garbage that will go in a landfill when I'm eventually done with it.

But it's pretty and shiny, so my stupid brain wants it.

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2305 on: October 20, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »
Dillon 1050.

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #2306 on: October 21, 2019, 06:25:55 AM »
A 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2wd base model. I have a friend that is thinking about getting rid of one that is in perfect condition with only 50,000 miles. I could make that truck last for the next couple decades.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2307 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »
A 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2wd base model. I have a friend that is thinking about getting rid of one that is in perfect condition with only 50,000 miles. I could make that truck last for the next couple decades.

I guess if you can get it for a good price.  Around here, any Tacoma with that low a mileage would be a $10k+ truck, and they're pretty unrefined for $10k. 

YankeeSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2308 on: October 28, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
A new barbell such as the Rogue Ohio Power Bar or similar.

I bought a cheap, used barbell when I initially set up my home gym. It's chromed and the knurling is so slick that it practically feels non-existent.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2309 on: October 28, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »
Well, after seeing our US Congresswoman's, explicit nude, girl/girl, bong-laden, iron-cross tattoo photos.........Katie Hill.

Stupid? Yes. Lusting? Absolutely.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2310 on: October 28, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »
A titanium 29+ bikepacking bike.  I have two bikes, both work fine.  Me still wantee!

And a beagle.  I miss having dogs, but plan on waiting until I retire to get another one.  Working and having a family makes having a dog a real hassle in many ways.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: October 29, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
I was lusting after a nice Vitamix blender for a while and we finally pulled the trigger on the Vitamix 5300. We’d been using a crappy $20 wal mart blender for years. We’ve been drinking this shake for about a month or so and once we decided we were going to keep drinking it, we decided to upgrade. The new blender actually makes the shake taste like a real smoothie vs a chunky egg white/vegetable drink that you chew as much as drink.. It made the difference, it was worth it..

Here’s our shake mix we developed based on a lot of research, you can imagine how it may taste not blended well. Delicious when blended..

Daily Shake:
* 1 scoop vanilla protein     P:24g   F:1g   Carb:3g   Calorie:120
* 1 cup egg whites     P:26g   F:0g   Carb:0g   Calorie:133
* 2 cups almond milk     P:2g   F:5g   Carb:2g   Calorie:60
* 1 banana     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:27g   Calorie:105
* 4 tbsp flax seed     P:6g   F:12g   Carb:8g   Calorie:140
* 3 cup chopped kale leaves     P:9g   F:2g   Carb:8g   Calorie:99
* 2 medium carrots     P:1g   F:0.3g   Carb:11.7g   Calorie:50
* 1 cup blue berries     P:1g   F:1g   Carb:17g   Calorie:70
* 1 cup strawberries     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:13g   Calorie:50
* 4 tsp spirulina powder     P:8g   F:0g   Carb:4g   Calorie:60
* 1/2 cup shelled edamame     P:12g   F:4.5g   Carb:8g   Calorie:120
* 6 tbsp coconut flakes     P:2g   F:20g   Carb:6g   Calorie:220 (removed 10/6)
* 1 tbsp miso paste     P:2g   F:1g   Carb:4g   Calorie:35
* 2 tsp ground Tumeric     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:0.7g   Calorie:17
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:0.7g   Calorie:3

Total--  Protein:91g   Fat:27   Carb:107g   Calorie:1,062

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2312 on: October 30, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »
Still want a C8 Corvette...

My wife finally gave me the OK for the corvette for our 10th anniversary which is 2 yrs away.
Don't know if I can pull the trigger as I'm cheap by nature and spending $60k+ on a car is a big waste.
One thing I am rethinking is that the C7 will be much cheaper and I might go that route instead.
If I can get a new 19 vette for say $45k vs $60K. Thats a huge difference.
When those 19 vettes sit on the lot for while. We'll see how low the dealers will go.
Always been a dream of mine so I'm going to get one regardless. You only live once.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2313 on: October 30, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »

My wife finally gave me the OK for the corvette for our 10th anniversary which is 2 yrs away.
Don't know if I can pull the trigger as I'm cheap by nature and spending $60k+ on a car is a big waste.
One thing I am rethinking is that the C7 will be much cheaper and I might go that route instead.
When those 19 vettes sit on the lot for while. We'll see how low the dealers will go.
Always been a dream of mine so I'm going to get one regardless. You only live once.

After reading reviews and contemplating how much money it really is, I don't really want a C8. They're supposed to be spectacular on track but a bit on the docile / tame side for daily driving, and I prefer a little bit of drama in my fun car. 

That said, you can already get 19's in the mid 40's: https://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inventory/?body%5B0%5D=1YY07&action=filter&sort=msrp&order=ASC

I am selling my 2004 Z06 and will sit on cash in hopes of finding a deal on a C7 Z51 either this or next winter. I'm hoping that the combination of winter pricing, C8's being out, and potentially economic uncertainty (who knows) will result in a nice dip in pricing.  I've also thought about a 996 Turbo instead (similar price range, but 10-15 years older) for stable value, but when I drove one I didn't get the fun factor I did out of a C7.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2314 on: October 30, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
A plumber.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2315 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »
After reading reviews and contemplating how much money it really is, I don't really want a C8. They're supposed to be spectacular on track but a bit on the docile / tame side for daily driving, and I prefer a little bit of drama in my fun car.
Drama, you say? How about an Alfa Romeo 4C or Jaguar F-Type R?

I am selling my 2004 Z06
I haven't seen your listing on Bring a Trailer yet. When does it go up?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2316 on: October 30, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »

I am selling my 2004 Z06

I should have the draft listing next week, presumably it'll go live soon thereafter!

I fear that 4C's are too slow -- I didn't really want to go slower than the C5Z.  I had not considered an F-Type.....hmm. I wonder how much depreciation they have left in them (Corvettes are nice in that respect).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2317 on: October 30, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

I am selling my 2004 Z06

I should have the draft listing next week, presumably it'll go live soon thereafter!

I fear that 4C's are too slow -- I didn't really want to go slower than the C5Z.  I had not considered an F-Type.....hmm. I wonder how much depreciation they have left in them (Corvettes are nice in that respect).

4C is about a half second slower in the quarter mile than the C5 Z06. But since they are so lightweight you gain a lot of tossability in exchange for raw speed. The 2015 F-Type R should be around $43k-48k, according to KBB. They were $99k MSRP (+options). Looks like the depreciation curve has flattened quite a bit:
https://usedfirst.com/cars/jaguar/f-type/
https://usedfirst.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/

Definitely worth test driving one, at the very least!

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #2318 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2319 on: October 30, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
I want that stick vacuum that frugalwoods just reviewed. I have a perfectly good vacuum but it's a bit heavy, and I generally hate having things plugged in all the time. But I could see myself vacuuming more often if I had the stick thing. Gahh.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2320 on: October 30, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
McLaren 650S retailed three years ago for $450k here in Aus and is now down to $270k (without any haggling). Reckon in a couple of years I could get that down to $200k. Buy it and write off most of its running costs/depreciation/maintenance as a business expense (our tax laws allow this to be done) and over time it's not as expensive as it seems.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2321 on: October 31, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
Stated last year, but will state it again, because the lust has increased proportionally with the income and NW increase:
Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring, Manual Transmission with GT-S, with options, soul red, $38,135 + deliver + tax,tag,title,etc.
I wouldn't baby it, this would be a daily driver.
Unfortunately I'm a good dad who takes kids for sports etc and lots of family activities, so use would be restricted. It would be anti-mustachian from a use case perspective. If there was something similar in a 4-door...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2322 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:50 AM »
A fancier bike (specifically, this bike). My used via Craigslist bike is perfectly functional and rideable.

Fancy yarn, since receiving the seasonal catalog from a favorite yarn store. I already have enough yarn and planned knitting projects to keep me busy for the next two winters.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2323 on: October 31, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
Individual stocks. I love to analyze hated companies and put in those limit orders when I see an attractive one.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2324 on: October 31, 2019, 08:45:58 AM »
Mazda MX-5 Miata RF [...] If there was something similar in a 4-door...

There really isn't anything very similar in a 4 door. The closest thing is probably a BMW 3-Series (surprisingly close in price).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2325 on: October 31, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Otherjen. That bike looks like heavy junk. Better off going used and getting something exceptionally nice in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2326 on: October 31, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Still lusting after a Ducati. 

Must be a Ducati Red Ducati. 

Like this:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/d/seattle-fs-1997-ducati-mi/7009712460.html

Resistance is weakening and if there were room in the garage I would likely have already succumbed.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2327 on: October 31, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »

Like this:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/d/seattle-fs-1997-ducati-mi/7009712460.html

Resistance is weakening and if there were room in the garage I would likely have already succumbed.

Looks sexy. Get it!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2328 on: October 31, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
Otherjen. That bike looks like heavy junk. Better off going used and getting something exceptionally nice in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I mean, this is the "stupidest thing you're lusting after" thread...

Since I know little about bikes, care to recommend something that isn't junk? I'm limited by not wanting to spend more than $500 and the need for a Small or X-Small frame. I'm 5 feet tall and my current bike, an 11" frame, was actually marketed for older girls. A 13" frame would be perfect.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:59:00 PM by OtherJen »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2329 on: November 01, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »

Like this:

I love the way these look and sound, but I thought this generation was a bit of a pig handling-wise? I could be wrong, I’m far from a Ducati expert.

If I was going to buy a motorcycle tomorrow, I’d be on a Triumph Street Triple.  Character almost like an old Ducati, but not QUITE as troublesome as an old Ducati.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2330 on: November 03, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
To replace my back deck with a screened in porch.  This will likely happen in 2021.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2331 on: November 03, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »

Like this:

I love the way these look and sound, but I thought this generation was a bit of a pig handling-wise? I could be wrong, I’m far from a Ducati expert.

If I was going to buy a motorcycle tomorrow, I’d be on a Triumph Street Triple.  Character almost like an old Ducati, but not QUITE as troublesome as an old Ducati.

Somebody to talk motorcycles with! 

I've ridden a Street Triple a few times - nice bike.  My main ride is a BMW R nineT.

Yah, I don't know how that 916 handles, either, I just know that it looks just as sexy as a red-headed Italian should.  (Also, it was the first Ducati that came up when I looked for an example to link to.)

I'm REALLY lusting after the Panigale V4S, which I have test ridden.  Goodness gracious, holy cow, shit-oh-dear.  I would get in SO much trouble on the street with it; and $25k for a track bike is a bit much.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:50:17 PM by alienbogey »

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2332 on: November 04, 2019, 09:20:42 AM »

That said, you can already get 19's in the mid 40's: https://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inventory/?body%5B0%5D=1YY07&action=filter&sort=msrp&order=ASC

I am selling my 2004 Z06 and will sit on cash in hopes of finding a deal on a C7 Z51 either this or next winter. I'm hoping that the combination of winter pricing, C8's being out, and potentially economic uncertainty (who knows) will result in a nice dip in pricing.  I've also thought about a 996 Turbo instead (similar price range, but 10-15 years older) for stable value, but when I drove one I didn't get the fun factor I did out of a C7.

The $45k includes an additional $4k saving which is $3k loyalty discount and $1K financing with GM.
All the dealer's prices include a loyalty discount and I don't have an old Vette.
Getting a new automatic C7 Vette for $45K will probably be difficult.
Regardless, I'm getting one sooner or later.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #2333 on: November 05, 2019, 06:39:05 AM »
I don’t know if it’s stupid (it’s probably stupid), but right now I really want a half a million dollar luxury condo in a HCOL city, downtown, on a subway line, preferably overlooking the lake.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2334 on: November 05, 2019, 06:47:43 AM »
Biggest thing is to pay someone 1500-2000 to hire someone to get my bathroom remodel DONE (tiling the shower enclosure with bench, and installing the HEAVY shower door). So far I have been very cost conscious so everything up to this point has been about 1300. I could theoretically do it myself (fixing an issue with shower pan, and large format tiling with some difficult cuts) but I am afraid the first may be time consuming and frustrating, and the 2nd may end up not looking professional. I have the money; it might be worth it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:49:17 AM by partgypsy »

cliner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2335 on: November 05, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »

I bought a cheap, used barbell when I initially set up my home gym. It's chromed and the knurling is so slick that it practically feels non-existent.

I don't think that's stupid. I also use a cheap barbell I bought on CL for $25 (with a flat bench included!). I bought it off a guy who had 5 or 6 barbells, and I picked the least rusted/pitted with the most knurling remaining. It served its purpose, but it has bent a good 1-2cm since I bought it a year and a half ago. Time for a new one, so I'm eyeing ohio power bar, holding out for a deal. I'm always checking the boneyard for seconds, but I'll probably end up buying new bar for its lifetime warranty. We'll see what deals they have this black friday.

As for my stupid thing I'm lusting after right now... a smith & wesson 3913 pistol. Sexy stainless that stands out in a sea of black polymer.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2336 on: November 05, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
Good gravy, SO MUCH car talk in this thread. Motorcycles, people! The ultimate mustachian performance. Go by a mid-00's liter bike for $4k and scare the bejeezus outta yourself.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2337 on: November 05, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »

Yah, I don't know how that 916 handles, either,

I do! I have put some miles on a Ducati 748. That thing is an absolute blast through the twisties and handles exactly like it looks it should. I wanna say the 748 has the exact same geometry as the 916?

ETA: 

How about a second motorcycle as something really stupid to lust after. I would love to have this Kawi for two-up riding and longer trips. GSXR is brutal to be on for longer than 3 hours.

https://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/ninja/hypersport/ninja-h2-sx?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-MPP
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:28:25 AM by eljefe-speaks »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2338 on: November 05, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
Good gravy, SO MUCH car talk in this thread. Motorcycles, people! The ultimate mustachian performance. Go by a mid-00's liter bike for $4k and scare the bejeezus outta yourself.

I know that if I ever got a sport bike, I'd kill myself on it within a month. I used to drive my Harley 100+ mph.

I actually sold my bike (pictured below) a week before I got married 5 years ago to pay off the last of my debt. I have wanted another (less expensive) bike since, and I will eventually get one, whether my wife likes it or not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2339 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »

Between weather and traffic, there's hardly a point to a bike in my area :(

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2340 on: November 05, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »

I don't think that's stupid. I also use a cheap barbell I bought on CL for $25 (with a flat bench included!). I bought it off a guy who had 5 or 6 barbells, and I picked the least rusted/pitted with the most knurling remaining. It served its purpose, but it has bent a good 1-2cm since I bought it a year and a half ago. Time for a new one, so I'm eyeing ohio power bar, holding out for a deal. I'm always checking the boneyard for seconds, but I'll probably end up buying new bar for its lifetime warranty. We'll see what deals they have this black friday.

As for my stupid thing I'm lusting after right now... a smith & wesson 3913 pistol. Sexy stainless that stands out in a sea of black polymer.

I wouldn't call wanting a good bar "stupid" if you use it a lot, but be sure to try the Ohio Power Bar before you order it.  I have an Ohio Power Bar for power lifting and I'm not in love with it.  I find the knurling too aggressive.  It takes chunks out of my shins when I deadlift and scrapes my back up pretty badly when I squat, even through my shirt.  I don't doubt that it will last forever, though.  In terms of feel, I much prefer my bare steel Pendlay bar.  The Pendlay bar was made for the Olympic lifts, but I use it for squat/bench/deadlift as well since it is unlikely to ever see 500 pounds, although I am still trying (the triumph of hope over experience). 

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2341 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:22 PM »
Saved for two years and purchased it....could not fight off my dream car.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2342 on: November 06, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »

While I totally agree that motorcycles are the best performance per dollar out there, they’re a lot less useable than a car is so you use them less. You can go to the grocery store and get 4 bags of groceries in a Miata, but definitely not on a sport bike.  Road tripping with your dog is possible in a Miata...not so much with a sportbike.

I did commute the hell out of my 2006 cbr600rr, it was way more comfortable than the R6 I bought after that. The CBR had 20k miles on it when I bought it and 46k when I sold it two years later to “upgrade” to the R6, which I then proceeded to only put 6k miles in 3 years.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2343 on: November 06, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »

Yah, I don't know how that 916 handles, either,
ETA: 

How about a second motorcycle as something really stupid to lust after. I would love to have this Kawi for two-up riding and longer trips. GSXR is brutal to be on for longer than 3 hours.

https://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/ninja/hypersport/ninja-h2-sx?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-MPP

Ummm....yeah, well....we already have 7.

Go ahead and facepunch me, people.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2344 on: November 08, 2019, 05:32:20 AM »
Why stupid?  Because I don't need a bike.  But just thought it appropriate...

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #2345 on: November 08, 2019, 05:48:22 AM »
Arctic commuter 25.  To live on :)

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2346 on: November 26, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »
Saved for two years and purchased it....could not fight off my dream car.

CONGRATS!! At least you saved and purchased the Mustachian way!!

New thing I'm lusting after is a fabulous landscaping job on my front & back yard. It's the wilderness out there, and I'm tired of sweat equity. It takes too many hours and too many cuts/scrapes/bruises/sore muscles, dangit!!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2347 on: February 03, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
An air fryer oven with multiple racks/trays and a rotisserie basket.
It will replace my toaster, toaster oven and microwave.  Possibly my slow cooker.
It will save me from buying a food dehydrator.  Possibly a deep fryer.

I wanted a counter top infra-red / convection oven For years, but I wouldn't buy one with a lift off - set aside 'power unit' and enclosure because they're so impractical.  I knew something better would come along in time.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2348 on: February 03, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »
Tesla Cyber Truck

SugarMagnolia77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2349 on: February 03, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »
An Audi Q5.

20+ years of driving adequate, but not comfortable cars and I want something that's fun and enjoyable to drive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!