Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288148 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2200 on: August 13, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
Another MIG welder.. I've only got 4 freaking welding processes in my shop..:)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2201 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
I'm not sure it would be considered stupid....but it is kind of impractical at the moment.  I want another dog.  And there's this beautiful 3 year-old Great Dane in one of the local shelters (GDs almost never come through the local shelters here).  But we already have the biggest, dopiest golden retriever on the planet and he just got put on what is probably going to be life-longs daily meds.  Feeding 250 lbs worth of dogs just isn't in the budget right now. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2202 on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
Every time I post a desire in this thread the universe conspires to make sure I get it. Usually at 50% off. Let's hope that trend continues.

I'm lusting after a trip to Malta.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2203 on: August 29, 2019, 05:46:55 AM »
Every time I post a desire in this thread the universe conspires to make sure I get it. Usually at 50% off. Let's hope that trend continues.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2204 on: August 29, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

LOL at that gif.

I have a friend in Malta who has graciously offered a Warlord-sized spot in her longhall if I can get myself there. I'm considering flying to Barcelona for a few days, then carrying on to Malta, since it would be cheaper than just flying straight to Malta. Depends on the finances and her schedule.

ecchastang

• Stubble
« Reply #2205 on: August 29, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »
The newly released Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #2206 on: August 29, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
Personal training classes or any fitness class pass... I guess I just kind of feel bad since I can technically work out for free at home.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2207 on: August 30, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
Don't know if it is stupid or not, but I have the itch to build a computer again.

I have held off on this desire for a long time as I could not justify the end product (I do not need the caliber of computer I would build, even if it was a basic integrated graphics desktop).

But now the DW has accepted a new boss is recommending setting up a work from home space; complete with the ability to remote into work from home. As luck would have it her current computer (11 inch ~$200 chromebook) is just not a good setup. So, I am considering scratching my itch with a "decent" desktop.

I've already day dreamed up a pcpartspicker list.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2208 on: August 31, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
A portable kayak.  I really want to get into kayaking more seriously, but I'm pretty hampered by where I live (SoCal, no inland kayaking within an hour's drive).  There is some kayaking in bays/inlets, though it's 20-40 minutes of driving, then fighting for parking, and lugging a kayak several hundred feet.  I also don't have the room for a rigid kayak at home. 

However, I've been toying with the idea of a decent inflatable that I could attach to my e-bike trailer.  I think I'm trying to balance aspirations and reality; it sounds great to bike to the beach, hop on a kayak, and bike back.  However, it might be enough extra effort that I wouldn't do it often enough to justify - riding to the beach (7 miles each way), inflating the kayak, paddling around, deflating, drying and repacking the kayak, and riding back isn't a quick trip.  That would be several hours, and I don't often get those blocks of time.

Nevertheless, it's fun to fantasize a bit.  Currently favoring the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite.

Did a trial run to the beach last weekend.  The route is pretty doable on my e-bike, and there's a nice place to park the bike and put in the paddle.  My fantasy is feasible.  It's also still expensive - that thousand bucks or so is probably better used as soldiers in my FI army!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2209 on: August 31, 2019, 11:52:01 PM »
Don't know if it is stupid or not, but I have the itch to build a computer again.

I have held off on this desire for a long time as I could not justify the end product (I do not need the caliber of computer I would build, even if it was a basic integrated graphics desktop).

But now the DW has accepted a new boss is recommending setting up a work from home space; complete with the ability to remote into work from home. As luck would have it her current computer (11 inch ~$200 chromebook) is just not a good setup. So, I am considering scratching my itch with a "decent" desktop.

If it's a work from home space get there company to pay for it.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2210 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »

If it's a work from home space get there company to pay for it.

Unfortunately that won't happen. A) Policy, B) Her new boss telling her to consider a work from home space was clearly for the employees benefit, not the company's (I admit I wasn't clear on this in my original post), and C) Even if A&B didn't apply they would probably provide her with the same things they issue at work which are abysmal (think 2 core-cpu, 4GB RAM with all of the institutional software, 5400RPM HDD as the boot drive) and that I hear constant complaining about.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2211 on: September 03, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »
Here is a stupid thing..

I been thinking about this for a while. I am fired with more money than I'll ever need (in theory) so what am I lusting after?

Absolutely nothing.. I mean I feel i SHOULD be lusting after something but I'm just not.

I know that if I go and buy an Audi R8 or a lower end Ferarri I would simply end up with a massive dose of buyer's remorse and DW saying "well that was a stupid purchase!"

Its a problem..:)

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2212 on: September 03, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
Here is a stupid thing..

I been thinking about this for a while. I am fired with more money than I'll ever need (in theory) so what am I lusting after?

Absolutely nothing.. I mean I feel i SHOULD be lusting after something but I'm just not.

I know that if I go and buy an Audi R8 or a lower end Ferarri I would simply end up with a massive dose of buyer's remorse and DW saying "well that was a stupid purchase!"

Its a problem..:)

Buy a C8 Corvette. Less of a remorse.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:51:20 PM by golfreak12 »

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #2213 on: September 03, 2019, 10:31:48 PM »
A second home in a bug-out location OR a cargo van build out. But not enough to do a single thing about either of them!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2214 on: September 04, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
A landscape designer, who can look at the hundreds of high maintenance plants on our yard & come up with a plan of what to do. The amount of upkeep is unbearable, we do it ourselves & it's a huge PITA & always looks terrible no matter what. And, it's not drought resistant.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2215 on: September 04, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
A Toyota 70 series Land Cruiser. 

Expensive, fuel inefficient, uncomfortable, and unsafe in comparison to newer designs.  But also incredibly capable off road, simple, reliable, and serviceable in the developing world.  One of the top choices for militaries, safari camps, miners, farmers, and others who want a true working vehicle. 

They don't sell them in the US, but they are still available in Africa, Australia, and the Middle East.  Not to be confused with the 200 series Land Cruiser which is sold in the US as both a Toyota and a Lexus.  That is still a very capable 4x4 as well, but the versions sold in the US are loaded down with luxury options and lack the serious off-road options like diesel engines, extra fuel tanks, and differential locks.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2216 on: September 04, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »

Expensive, fuel inefficient, uncomfortable, and unsafe in comparison to newer designs.  But also incredibly capable off road, simple, reliable, and serviceable in the developing world.  One of the top choices for militaries, safari camps, miners, farmers, and others who want a true working vehicle. 

They don't sell them in the US, but they are still available in Africa, Australia, and the Middle East.  Not to be confused with the 200 series Land Cruiser which is sold in the US as both a Toyota and a Lexus.  That is still a very capable 4x4 as well, but the versions sold in the US are loaded down with luxury options and lack the serious off-road options like diesel engines, extra fuel tanks, and differential locks.
Heh, I remember riding around in the oil fields of sub-saharan Africain some of those about 12 years ago!

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2217 on: September 04, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »
I just bought a used ping-pong table for $100 (two years old, sells for $400 new). One long overdue itch scratched.

The next itch is either a quality used tandem or two smaller hard-shell kayaks for area lakes and slow rivers. Looking at CL and FB market, but if any fellow kayakers have other resources, LMK!

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2218 on: September 05, 2019, 12:50:23 AM »

Heh, I remember riding around in the oil fields of sub-saharan Africain some of those about 12 years ago!

Does your back still hurt?  :)    I shold have added that they're the vehicle of choice in the oil fields and with rebel groups (along with the ubiquitous Toyota Hilux, of course).  The current 70 series is almost unchanged from 12 years ago, except that you can now get a diesel V8 and they've added a couple of airbags and abs braking.  They still won't sell one with an automatic transmission, though.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2219 on: September 05, 2019, 05:17:30 AM »

Does your back still hurt?  :)    I shold have added that they're the vehicle of choice in the oil fields and with rebel groups (along with the ubiquitous Toyota Hilux, of course).  The current 70 series is almost unchanged from 12 years ago, except that you can now get a diesel V8 and they've added a couple of airbags and abs braking.  They still won't sell one with an automatic transmission, though.
Ha! I was still young back then.  But yeah, those corrugated latterite roads were pretty bone-jarring.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #2220 on: September 05, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »
A Nintendo Switch. I have a back catalog of games I haven't yet played and still more that I haven't finished or could easily get more enjoyment out of, yet here I am salivating over this blasted thing.

To make matters even more absurd, I rarely have the time to play (a big cause of the aforementioned backlog) so it wouldn't be getting a ton of usage anyways.

The lust is still going strong, but I've continued to resist temptation. There are a few games coming out soon that I am super interested in (New Pokemon and a Zelda remake), but I'm going to continue holding off. I miiiight splurge and buy one for myself once I hit $100K net worth (possibly by year end), but that remains to be seen. As mentioned in my original post, I don't have a lot of free time to play, so I'd hate to spend the money only for it to sit below the TV collecting dust.

katcrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2221 on: September 07, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
A driver to drive me around. Hate driving, so no car and it is too hot right now in Florida to go anywhere, whether on foot or bike, if there is no water at the end of it of the excursion.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2222 on: September 08, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »
A really good pair of shoes. They're £180. But £180 for a pair of shoes is insane

This is kind of old but I think the answer to this depends on a few things.

How long do you expect those shoes to last? Are you the type of person to wear the same shoes until they wear out? If so, at some point there is a pricepoint that buying more expensive shoes makes sense.

A few years ago I bought a nice pair of leather boots (RedWings) that were around $300. I wore my previous pair probably 4+ months a year for almost 10 years, so I felt like buying a nice pair was going to be ok.

But I don't know how that pricepoint compares for shoes.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #2223 on: September 08, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
I want a Combo Metal Lathe Mill Drill Machine . I had a small lathe that I got cheap, but it was damaged during a hurricane. I did get replacement money from insurance, but I have to have double that amount for the combo unit.
 But, it seems stupidest is not in the eye of the beholder!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:19:44 AM by Tempname23 »

rlogue06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2224 on: September 08, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
I've been having a hard time with house envy lately. I can afford a bigger, fancier house, but I don't actually need one. I bought the "worst house in the best neighborhood" and even though I've fixed it up, it's still not a status symbol. I hate that I want a status symbol. I want a cottage on a lake and a big airy house in the city - like my dad did when I was growing up. Instead, I have a little lower-middle class house like my mom. I'm proud that I made the sensible choice to buy a modest place, but I want....

Gentle facepunches wanted.

I just had the same scenario.  I’ve always lived well beneath my means, but I had a nice little house in a really crappy little neighborhood.  I still stand by my decisions to by a house in a nicer neighborhood, but I probably overdid it buying a brand new house in a subdivision.  Now I’ve got the additional debt and high taxes to contend with.  The move was important to me, but I probably could’ve gained the same amount of happiness by purchasing a used home on a nice little piece of land.

Either way, now I’m 48 and have to adjust my plan to account for the extra expenses.  Not devastating, but definitely changed things with my FIRE plan.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #2225 on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
A BIG HOUSE!!
Love my house and location but man i want a large farmhouse with land and all the storage and whatnot.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2226 on: September 10, 2019, 02:31:36 PM »
I've been having a hard time with house envy lately. I can afford a bigger, fancier house, but I don't actually need one. I bought the "worst house in the best neighborhood" and even though I've fixed it up, it's still not a status symbol. I hate that I want a status symbol. I want a cottage on a lake and a big airy house in the city - like my dad did when I was growing up. Instead, I have a little lower-middle class house like my mom. I'm proud that I made the sensible choice to buy a modest place, but I want....

I just had the same scenario.  I’ve always lived well beneath my means, but I had a nice little house in a really crappy little neighborhood.  I still stand by my decisions to by a house in a nicer neighborhood, but I probably overdid it buying a brand new house in a subdivision.  Now I’ve got the additional debt and high taxes to contend with.  The move was important to me, but I probably could’ve gained the same amount of happiness by purchasing a used home on a nice little piece of land.

Either way, now I’m 48 and have to adjust my plan to account for the extra expenses.  Not devastating, but definitely changed things with my FIRE plan.

I'm in a similar situation, bought a very modest fixer upper in an "up-and-coming" neighborhood. I find the disparity in this location to be crazy; literally $350k difference in home value while on the same block. I find joy and a sense of accomplishment from completing renovation projects on my home, but man it would be nice to have one of the completely refurbished homes in the area.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #2227 on: September 10, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »
I'm lusting after a newer, tidier house. My job takes me into other people's homes and I'm often just so jealous of the bathroom sink that isn't rusted, baseboards around the floors, and someplace that doesn't have boxes all over the place and a hoarders basement!!

I know the solution is to clean up my own garbage and somehow, someway figure out how to address my husband's inability to throw anything away. It is just more fun to lust after other people's stuff.... :-/

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2228 on: September 10, 2019, 04:44:37 PM »
I want a Combo Metal Lathe Mill Drill Machine . I had a small lathe that I got cheap, but it was damaged during a hurricane. I did get replacement money from insurance, but I have to have double that amount for the combo unit.
 But, it seems stupidest is not in the eye of the beholder!

Hmm I have a combo lathe/mill.

The biggest problems I have were.

1) motors are fixed speed, chuck speed is changed by changing the belt pulley.. Giant PITA and was resolved by using treadmill motors with the treadmill PWM motor controller. Now chuck speed is changed by turning a knob.. Much better.

2) Fixed toolpost  where you adjust the height of the cutting tool by shimming the tool.. No.. just NO!. It was about $130 to upgrade to a proper SHARS wedge type toolpost.. Much better.

3) The leadscrew speed and thus feed rate was geared to the chuck.. Great for screw cutting but not much else. I fixed this by using a windsheild wiper motor to drive the leadscrew and removing the gears. Its easy to re-install the gears for screw cutting.

4) The machine is a bit limited on size. Always need a bigger one with a 4 jaw chuck etc..:)

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #2229 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:53 PM »
I want one of those hard-sided rolling $250 suitcases.
It's not very critical or practical, because I take about 2 business trips per year and usually not even ones where I have to fly, and most of my other travel involves camping.
But I want it.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2230 on: September 10, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
I've been having a hard time with house envy lately. I can afford a bigger, fancier house, but I don't actually need one. I bought the "worst house in the best (okayest) neighborhood" and even though I've fixed it up, it's still not a status symbol. I hate that I want a status symbol. I want a cottage on a lake and a big airy house in the city - like my dad did when I was growing up. Instead, I have a little lower-middle class house like my mom. I'm proud that I made the sensible choice to buy a modest place, but I want....

I can relate.. I’ve averaged about $150k-$250k income the last 5-6 years. For 5 years we lived in a 42’ 5th wheel that was $56k.

Last fall we finally sold our trailer and rented an apartment.. Our 1 bed 1 bath was about $1100/mo.. We only had a 6 month lease.

Last spring we moved an hour away and got a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment for $1600/mo..

I take home around $20k-$22k/mo at my current position and my contract lasts another 1.5-2 years... I feel like we “could” have so much nicer, and I long for a $2800/mo townhome in the middle of the city with a 2 car garage within walking distance of the most beautiful city park with a perfect 3 mile loop (I run 25 miles/wk).. But alas.. not quite yet... Some day.

That being said - after living in our trailer for so long, our current two bedroom apartment feels like a huge mansion and so fancy.. I am still very very happy with our current situation.

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #2231 on: September 10, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
My 35 year old dryer- it was a basic model Kenmore  is no longer blowing hot air.  I'm amazed it lasted so long and we never even had to repair it.  It's original to the house and it's the last of our appliances to go.  Now I'm debating- do I repair it, replace it with something cheap or get what I really want.  I REALLY want a heat pump dryer because they are ventless and energy efficient.   But they are $!600!!!  We are venting the current dryer to the garage, which makes it dirty with lint and adds humidity - we have to open the garage door while it's running.   My husband is looking into fixing it.  I hear they don't build them like they use to

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2232 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
New Apple products....watch, iPhone.  I'd buy it all if I wasn't so FIRE'd up.

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #2233 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:57 AM »
Herman Miller Aeron chair. I used one for a week and now I want one. Going rate seems to be $500.

Seems stupid mostly because it is the iconic excessive purchase for small businesses that don't understand the value of money yet.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2234 on: September 11, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Herman Miller Aeron chair. I used one for a week and now I want one. Going rate seems to be $500.

Seems stupid mostly because it is the iconic excessive purchase for small businesses that don't understand the value of money yet.

That's not totally out of line for a good ergonomic chair.  I've seen them go up to $1000, especially if you're talking about something that has to have special features (counter height for example, or made to support heavier people).  I like the Humanscale chairs, but will never buy one because $$$.

I've been trying to convince my bosses that I need a reclining workstation, but so far no one has gone for it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2235 on: September 11, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »
My 35 year old dryer- it was a basic model Kenmore  is no longer blowing hot air.  I'm amazed it lasted so long and we never even had to repair it.  It's original to the house and it's the last of our appliances to go.  Now I'm debating- do I repair it, replace it with something cheap or get what I really want.  I REALLY want a heat pump dryer because they are ventless and energy efficient.   But they are $!600!!!  We are venting the current dryer to the garage, which makes it dirty with lint and adds humidity - we have to open the garage door while it's running.   My husband is looking into fixing it.  I hear they don't build them like they use to

I had not heard of those, they sound really neat. I also hate that our dryer vents to the garage. Is the price you typed supposed to be $1600?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2236 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
A beach house.  A specific beach house.  I keep looking at the real estate ad longingly.  I don't need a beach house.  I already have a beach RV.  But I want it.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2237 on: September 11, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »

The main reason why a dryer doesn't heat up anymore is due to a clogged vent hose that overheats the element and trips the thermal fuse.  Its a ~$6 part and is maybe 20 minutes to replace.  Just get a multi-meter and check your fuses.  Oh and clean your vent hose. 

If the element is bad (you'll see that the wire is not continuous, though a multi-meter can be used there too), that's no biggie either, replacing the element on an old school electric dryer is stupid easy also.  I went with OEM parts on mine because I was feeling fancy, and it was still only like $40.  Generic parts are like $20. 

I get wanting fancy new stuff, but you can keep an older style dryer going for a LOOONG time. 

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #2238 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »
Actually, I think it's fixed. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I run a load.  The actual vent wasn't blocked....I checked that first, but there was a ton of lint , and some pens, and some pencils, and probably 35 years worth of needle caps probably from my uniform pockets (I'm a nurse) around the fan.  Thank you google.

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #2239 on: September 11, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »

I had not heard of those, they sound really neat. I also hate that our dryer vents to the garage. Is the price you typed supposed to be $1600?

Yes, they are $1600- for a full size one.  The apartment size stackable  ones are "only" $800.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2240 on: September 12, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »

I'm in a similar situation, bought a very modest fixer upper in an "up-and-coming" neighborhood. I find the disparity in this location to be crazy; literally $350k difference in home value while on the same block. I find joy and a sense of accomplishment from completing renovation projects on my home, but man it would be nice to have one of the completely refurbished homes in the area.
yes you're telling me. My house has appreciated nicely from when I bought it so it is estimated zillow value of 350-360K. Around the corner someone is selling their (very nice house) for 1.4 million. sometimes I fantasize about downsizing to same size house, slightly bigger lot father out, for the same or less price. But I like my walkable location so for now sticking it out.   

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #2241 on: September 12, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
A family car like Honda odessey. I own a 2012 civic.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #2242 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »

Yes, they are $1600- for a full size one.  The apartment size stackable  ones are "only" $800.

Washing machines and driers don't really need all those extra features IMO, most people don't even use them. We just got a small capacity 1.6 ct ft washer for about $300 which was not that much more than a used washer from local appliance stores.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #2243 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:41 PM »
Stupid zelda cups that are exclusively sold at 7-11 gas stains in Canada. 3 cups on eBay... $25. =(

55-60% savings rate this year but I can't bring myself to pay that for the plastic cups out of principle even though I want them. Maybe the market will be flooded and the price will drop lol.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2244 on: September 12, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »

Washing machines and driers don't really need all those extra features IMO, most people don't even use them. We just got a small capacity 1.6 ct ft washer for about $300 which was not that much more than a used washer from local appliance stores.

I use about half the modes on my washer. I use the whites, colors, heavy duty, and sheets modes. I think one of those is shared with the towels mode. There are probably for more modes and i think of those I've used delicates once. It's not a super fancy model or the bottom model, but it is one of the largest capacities i could find. I don't want to load it up any more times than necessary. 1.6 sounds tiiiny to me.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2245 on: September 13, 2019, 07:21:59 AM »
As an owner of a Honda Odyssey, I can categorically state that this is NOT a stupid thing to lust after.  Need to haul a bunch of people somewhere in relative comfort?  Haul lumber?  Sheets of plywood?  Furniture?  No problem.  A nine-foot-long replacement window?  Yup.  1,000 lbs of tile and thinset?  Done that.  Six kids (three in car seats), two parents, double stroller, portacrib, diapers, and suitcases for everyone for a cross-country vacation?  Done it more times than I can count.

Now, if you're a single person with no kids and only go to the hardware store once every six months, then yeah, a minivan probably isn't for you.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2246 on: September 13, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
As an owner of a Honda Odyssey, I can categorically state that this is NOT a stupid thing to lust after.  Need to haul a bunch of people somewhere in relative comfort?  Haul lumber?  Sheets of plywood?  Furniture?  No problem.  A nine-foot-long replacement window?  Yup.  1,000 lbs of tile and thinset?  Done that.  Six kids (three in car seats), two parents, double stroller, portacrib, diapers, and suitcases for everyone for a cross-country vacation?  Done it more times than I can count.

Now, if you're a single person with no kids and only go to the hardware store once every six months, then yeah, a minivan probably isn't for you.

We bought a relatively new (neused) Honda Odyssey (now sold) in 2006 with our 2nd kid coming along with our dog. The one that was available and in our price range had the leather seat and extras. It was the "nicest" by far vehicle we've owned, and it drove like a dream. It was also super useful when we were rehabbing our house, able to fit big pieces of sheetrock, lumber, etc.

So I loved that car. My coworker otoh is about 1 year from launching her two kids to college and is "over" minivans. Her ideal would be to get a sports car but needs something that seats more people. So she isn't sure what she wants, as long as it isn't a "minivan".  Personally my dream vehicle is a Subaru outback, but they are too expensive for me.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:30:15 AM by partgypsy »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2247 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »

We bought a relatively new (neused) Honda Odyssey (now sold) in 2006 with our 2nd kid coming along with our dog. The one that was available and in our price range had the leather seat and extras. It was the "nicest" by far vehicle we've owned, and it drove like a dream. It was also super useful when we were rehabbing our house, able to fit big pieces of sheetrock, lumber, etc.

So I loved that car. My coworker otoh is about 1 year from launching her two kids to college and is "over" minivans. Her ideal would be to get a sports car but needs something that seats more people. So she isn't sure what she wants, as long as it isn't a "minivan".  Personally my dream vehicle is a Subaru outback, but they are too expensive for me.
I seriously don't understand the emotional objection people have toward minivans.  Perhaps it has nothing to do with the van, but rather their lifestyle during the time they owned the van (or the lifestyle they observe in minivan owners)?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2248 on: September 13, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
Might as well post about my itchy scratchies, which is gemstones/jewelry. During divorce year had a diamond ring made (3 stone kind of symbolizing me and my 2 kids) funding by selling a bunch of smaller pieces. But when I wore it 2 people made comments asked if I was engaged, so feel self conscious about wearing it. Plus realize my jam is more colored stones versus diamonds. I want to get a new piece of (colored stone) jewelry for my birthday, but have had A LOT of expenses this year. Toying with having a stone I already have set in silver, or finding something modestly priced to celebrate birthday. #firstworldproblems

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2249 on: September 13, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »

I seriously don't understand the emotional objection people have toward minivans.  Perhaps it has nothing to do with the van, but rather their lifestyle during the time they owned the van (or the lifestyle they observe in minivan owners)?

Yes. I don't think it has so much to do with van itself, but that it is something a "Mom" would drive chauffering the kids around, and wanting to throw off that identity and express a different one.