Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1295566 times)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2150 on: July 25, 2019, 06:58:02 AM »
A holiday in southern europe. That is where the sun and fun usually is. The toal cost of 1 week trip is usually almost 1000 Euros..

Yeah, I've been daydreaming of an African safari a lot lately.  But it's a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

I've just been looking up what flights to South America would cost in points.

But is travel ever a stupid thing to lust after?

I won't say stupid, but currently some of the trips on my bucket list are....unrealistic....given my current budget.  We are at the point where we can afford to take a fairly expensive trip every 18 months or so.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
One of my weird things I’m lusting after is “restoring” my 2009 BMW. No, it’s not in bad shape really, but it doesn’t feel “new”. I’d really like to put some new bushings in, a new set of shocks, replace a couple of interior trim pieces that are worn, respray the front bumper, etc.

I think it would be somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3k to do everything though, and that’s really not worth the cost. 

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
in-floor heating for the basement of the house we're having built....just got the price from the builder and it gave me a little sticker shock.  But pretty sure I'll regret it over the 25+ years I expect to be in that house, if we don't put it in.   After all, we live in the great white north, my home-office and media rooms are in the basement.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:23:29 AM by bluebelle »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #2153 on: July 25, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
in-floor heating for the basement of the house we're having built....just got the price from the builder and it gave me a little sticker shock.  But pretty sure I'll regret it over the 25+ years I expect to be in that house.

We're looking forward to adding radiant heat when we redo our existing floor. Not sure if this is applicable to your situation, but we're going with the Uponor system.
Cheers to toasty feet!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2154 on: July 26, 2019, 05:30:22 AM »
I leave on vacation for two weeks and everyone starts talking about cars.

Yeah, I'm lusting over this mid-engine Corvette that was just announced.
My wife gave me the OK to buy a C7 2 yrs ago but we ended up buying a house instead(much wiser decision). But I really never did let go my lust to buy a corvette one day. I even made a post on here a while ago.
So this car suppose to start ~$60k which is unheard of for a mid-engine.
I have to talk my wife into letting me get one in 3 yrs when its easily more obtainable.
You and me both.  It's like a modern / perfected version of my MR2 Turbo, and at a price point that's not mind-bogglingly insane.
Came on here to post about the Corvette.

If it's $65k in the US it'll land here in Australia at about $150k (thanks to our 33% luxury car tax, 10% sales tax, 5% import duty, and 7% luxury car stamp duty - fucking commies). Still, that's a bargain compared to anything around it in the performance world.
I’m also thinking about the 2020 corvette.  I’ve had a couple in the past, and other sports cars.  But this new one sure looks good.
495 horsepower mid-engine Corvette. Wow. I never thought this day would come. That will probably be an incredible bargain for a performance car.

My lust for a modern 2 seater convertible automobile never leaves me.

I recently eliminated a Pontiac Solstice, which has always been my top pick because of styling, eliminated  because it has no trunk room. I mean it is nearly zero trunk room.

A new possibility popped up unexpectedly – the Mini  Cooper roadster. They were made from 2012-2015. I’m considering that model as well as third and fourth generation Miatas. Miatas are an obvious choice because they have been around forever and auto heads always like them ( they are always the darlings in car reviews) but I think they are a little bit boring.

I want a used car around 50,000 miles.
I looked up the cargo space on the Solstice, I had no idea it was so bad! Almost as bad as an MR2 Spyder. The Mini Coopers are known to be unreliable and expensive to repair (expensive parts, difficult to work on). Miatas are a solid choice, I really like the newest ones.

Iove Ferraris and the new F8 Tributo and the Stradale are my objects of lust. We could buy the Tributo now but need to finish the mortgage first before I would realistically consider. 

My real dream is an Enzo but that's a little steep for me to pay for a car unless net worth reaches 8 figures. Then it's on lol.
If you can swing an Enzo they will probably make for a great investment. The special edition Ferraris in general tend to hold their value pretty well though lately Ferrari has been making so many special editions that it's diluting the collector's value.

One of my weird things I’m lusting after is “restoring” my 2009 BMW. No, it’s not in bad shape really, but it doesn’t feel “new”. I’d really like to put some new bushings in, a new set of shocks, replace a couple of interior trim pieces that are worn, respray the front bumper, etc.

I think it would be somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3k to do everything though, and that’s really not worth the cost.
Is it a special model at all? Might be worth keeping in fresh condition. $2-3k pales in comparison to the depreciation of buying a new BMW.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2155 on: July 26, 2019, 06:20:54 AM »
Meepo NLS Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBsrBuk5l8A

It's no sports car, but quite a thrill with 30 mph top speed and $700...... 14 mile range on a single charge.

Not too bad for urban commuting either......but I don't have an urban commute. It's just something I dreamed about as a kid when I was big into longboarding.....and now they exist!

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2156 on: July 26, 2019, 07:10:52 AM »

Is it a special model at all? Might be worth keeping in fresh condition. $2-3k pales in comparison to the depreciation of buying a new BMW.

Its a sport package wagon, which is pretty rare, but its an automatic, which kills any collector value.  The "restoration" would mostly be for me though, since I don't plan on selling it any time soon. 

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2157 on: July 26, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »
Meepo NLS Pro

It's no sports car, but quite a thrill with 30 mph top speed and $700...... 14 mile range on a single charge.

Not too bad for urban commuting either......but I don't have an urban commute. It's just something I dreamed about as a kid when I was big into longboarding.....and now they exist!

Looks cool as hell.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2158 on: July 26, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »
I want a table saw and a drill press so bad.  I ordered up a table saw from harbor freight with a coupon and it was only like $120 or something but then I got hit with having to get all these rabies shots for finding a bat in our house and they cost a fortune and now I feel too guilty to keep it since I don't really need it.  So back it goes.  Depressed.
You would probably be better served by watching local used listings for a table saw.  Several years ago I purchased a 1960's table saw for $125.  Solid, machined cast iron top, commodity parts (and very few that can actually break), easily-replaceable induction motor if/when I want to upgrade the power, came with a couple wings (also machined cast iron).  Newer, cheaper machines tend to have specialty and/or non-replaceable parts, so if something breaks, it's cheaper to replace the whole thing rather than a part.

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2159 on: July 27, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

A 1999 silver Ferrari 550 Maranello (think of the movie bad boys) - a classic car set to appreciate over the next 10-15years. Values have come down a lot in the UK over the past 2 years and are very tempting for a long term hold.
Overtime depreciation is virtually zero... man maths says go ahead, mustachian (and wife) says you don’t need it. Thank god for my wife

A man of taste... one of the last analogue V12 Ferraris and a beautiful design too. About 7 years ago in Australia they were selling for low six figures AUD, I remember reading a used car review by former touring car driver John Bowe who said he liked it so much he bought one. Outright power isn't everything. I think they have gone up in value since that GFC era.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2160 on: July 27, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
There's this vendor at the renaissance fair who makes the most amazing one-of-a-kind, unique handmade coats. I love them. I will not be bringing one home because they cost $560! But I wantttttsssss one. Preciousssssss.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2161 on: July 28, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
Meepo NLS Pro

Looks cool as hell.

I ordered it today!

Never would have imagined myself spending $700 on a toy, but something like this was my childhood dream. Worst case can resell for $400-500 after playing with it for a few months.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2162 on: July 28, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
A holiday to the Maldives. We do keep money for holiday spending separate so it won't come out of our net worth, still... it's a lot of money and my job situation is not certain just now. Will revisit the idea when that becomes clearer.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2163 on: July 28, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
We recently purchased a new construction home.
Bought an unsold unit that already had all customizations slotted by the builder.
Got it for what I think was a pretty good price - all customizations + flooring + solar were included at the base price, $95k in extras they claim.

Next on our list is window treatments.  Looking at Norman Plantation Shutters.  32 windows x 20/sqft is coming in at ~$7,500ish ... gulp.  Maybe I'll just hang some towels and be done with it?

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2164 on: July 29, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
I want a table saw and a drill press so bad.  I ordered up a table saw from harbor freight with a coupon and it was only like $120 or something but then I got hit with having to get all these rabies shots for finding a bat in our house and they cost a fortune and now I feel too guilty to keep it since I don't really need it.  So back it goes.  Depressed.
You would probably be better served by watching local used listings for a table saw.  Several years ago I purchased a 1960's table saw for $125.  Solid, machined cast iron top, commodity parts (and very few that can actually break), easily-replaceable induction motor if/when I want to upgrade the power, came with a couple wings (also machined cast iron).  Newer, cheaper machines tend to have specialty and/or non-replaceable parts, so if something breaks, it's cheaper to replace the whole thing rather than a part.
I'll be on the look out.  Thanks!

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #2165 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »

A 1999 silver Ferrari 550 Maranello (think of the movie bad boys) - a classic car set to appreciate over the next 10-15years. Values have come down a lot in the UK over the past 2 years and are very tempting for a long term hold.
Overtime depreciation is virtually zero... man maths says go ahead, mustachian (and wife) says you don’t need it. Thank god for my wife

A man of taste... one of the last analogue V12 Ferraris and a beautiful design too. About 7 years ago in Australia they were selling for low six figures AUD, I remember reading a used car review by former touring car driver John Bowe who said he liked it so much he bought one. Outright power isn't everything. I think they have gone up in value since that GFC era.

Agreed. I think 550 and 599 are the last affordable Ferrari V12s. I don’t get why F12 and 812 are 2-3.5x more expensive, especially looking at their production numbers. Not sure how a £75-80k 550 will be a loser over the next 10years

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #2166 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
My wife gave me the OK to buy a C7 2 yrs ago but we ended up buying a house instead(much wiser decision). But I really never did let go my lust to buy a corvette one day. I even made a post on here a while ago.
I have to talk my wife into letting me get one in 3 yrs when its easily more obtainable.

You and me both.  It's like a modern / perfected version of my MR2 Turbo, and at a price point that's not mind-bogglingly insane.

Add me to this list of extreme want for the c8 - as long as gm reliability doesn't strike - i think i might have to strongly look at one of these in the next 3-4 years once depreciation has hit ! Also the c7 - while not mid engine will be a super screaming good deal once the c8 comes out ! c7 z06 probably won't lower in price though...

also my current want/lust/dream - 2020 rzr pro xp ! so much money for a toy but i love off road stuff. Utv's are getting just insane now with the amount of suspension travel, power, durability and overall fun! UTV's are getting really close to what i would have built with lots of fancy parts (and lots of money) less than 5 yrs ago. Crazy !

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:35:03 AM by Kevin S. »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2167 on: July 29, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
Corvettes have generally been quite reliable - I am not too concerned about that, though I do want to wait for any first-year issues to arise.  It's their first mid-engine Corvette on a completely new platform, first transaxle, first DCT, etc.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2168 on: July 29, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
I was looking for a small tractor and this came up:
https://alaskaslist.com/-3/posts/12_Real_Estate/109_Recreational/551081_Turnkey_Parker_Lake_Property_Package.html

Realistically I'd probably be happier with that view on 5 empty acres and time to build my own place. In 20 years it would look like a simpler, more mustachian version of that... If I had the money the "turnkey" solution would be a real temptation and that made me think of this thread. Follow the link at the bottom for lots of photos of Denali and all the tools included...

PS
If anyone shaves their mustache and buys the place could I please stay in your new guest cabin occasionally?

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2169 on: July 29, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »
A BAKblade. To shave hair off my back!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2170 on: July 29, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »
Corvettes have generally been quite reliable - I am not too concerned about that, though I do want to wait for any first-year issues to arise.  It's their first mid-engine Corvette on a completely new platform, first transaxle, first DCT, etc.

Good news. If you haven't placed you're order first year production is nearly sold it already so you'll be forced to wait even if your get impatient.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2171 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »

Good news. If you haven't placed you're order first year production is nearly sold it already so you'll be forced to wait even if your get impatient.

Haha, I did see that...but no, I have not placed an order.  I have too many other priorities and not enough income to purchase such a thing.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: July 29, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
A Stand Up Paddle Board. One from Red Paddle Co. >.<

Update: I got the SUP board (second hand). And I got certified as a SUP instructor back in May. It is every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Live your spendy dreams, friends. Live your spendy dreams.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2173 on: July 30, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »

Update: I got the SUP board (second hand). And I got certified as a SUP instructor back in May. It is every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Looking at the iRocker and Blackfin boards now. Nearly $900 all in -_-

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2174 on: July 30, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »

Looking at the iRocker and Blackfin boards now. Nearly $900 all in -_-

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'll hold your hand while everyone face punches us.

FireKingGreen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2175 on: July 30, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »
I’m fully aware it would make zero financial sense, believe me I’ve run the numbers repeatedly, but I can’t help but want a pool. Badly. It’s 93F at 9pm and it’s been a relatively cool summer.

We would use the heck out of it, but there’s a 0.01% chance I would ever do it because of the opportunity cost. But I can’t stop calculating the time required to save up the build cost!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2176 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »

My car dealer wheeler guy told me that this Corvette is going to be manufactured with no models having a manual shift.

What do you guys think about that?

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2177 on: July 30, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »
No manual shift is fine with me. If you want that real interactive experience try one of these https://youtu.be/xMGK1L7VN1U. I've got access to one of I feel nostalgic.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2178 on: July 30, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »
My car dealer wheeler guy told me that this Corvette is going to be manufactured with no models having a manual shift.

I wouldn't rule out a manual transmission on the new Corvette ever. But increasingly new sports cars are being offered with DCT only. DCTs are amazing transmissions and they typically allow for full control over gear selection, you just lose the clutch pedal. Having owned both I find the traditional manual to be more engaging and fun while the DCT is super fast and perfect. Both have their place, in my opinion. If you want the best possible performance and put down numbers that can compete with other mid-engine supercars the DCT is the way to go.

I personally feel that in a car like the Corvette that isn't solely focused on track numbers that it deserves to have a manual transmission available. But I can understand the business case for avoiding the engineering cost  when it is a minority of customers that want the manual.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2179 on: July 30, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
I won't say stupid, but currently some of the trips on my bucket list are....unrealistic....given my current budget.  We are at the point where we can afford to take a fairly expensive trip every 18 months or so.

Hey, that sounds like a pretty great schedule to me! DH and I aren't there yet, but I'll be the first to admit that I usually start itching for more travel..mm..about 1 week after I return from any big trip. *facepalm.*

For me--what I'm lusting after?? A nearly $1 million house with a stupid footprint. But let me explain.

The core river stone structure is 119 years old in an area that's, woefully, lost or bulldozed a massive amount of its historical structures. It's been impeccably renovated without erasing its old details, has an upstairs that's wonky as all get out (treehouse vibes), has huge and naturally woodsy terraced gardens, has a chicken coop (I've always dreamed of getting backyard poultry??), and is literally right next to the most charming historical fixture in the entire area (a one-lane covered bridge built in 1872. Yes, I do go through it every day to get to work. Best part of my day.)

It's my dream home, I stared at the listing pretty much every day, and it recently sold for at least $500k above what I'd ever pay for a house. New owners better use. that. chicken coop.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:41:08 PM by lv2glrfy »

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #2180 on: July 31, 2019, 03:53:19 AM »

Agreed! I just bought myself a KitchenAid mixer. Got the mixer and bowl used from Craigslist, and the standard mixing attachments from Amazon. $85 all in, and so far I’ve made blueberry muffins, banana bread, and soon I’ll need to make more muffins again. So glad I finally got it.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: July 31, 2019, 07:54:17 AM »

I've tried SUPing a few times and I sucked at it every time, I can't ever seem to go in a straight line unless I go suuper slow or switch sides every stroke.  WTF am I doing wrong?  I'm an excellent kayak and canoe-er, btw, I just can't seem to translate it to the SUP.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2182 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »

I will miss the interactivity but I can't argue against the overwhelming superiority of a DCT.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2183 on: July 31, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
@rothwem, not all boards track well. I've also had to paddle on alternate sides once in a while to keep it tracking perfectly straight, maybe @Warlord1986 can chime in, as she's recently become a SUP instructor.

Some boards have better fins for tracking straight, while many budget boards have shorter fins. Wind, weight, chop, etc will all impact this too.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2184 on: July 31, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »

I wouldn't rule out a manual transmission on the new Corvette ever. But increasingly new sports cars are being offered with DCT only. DCTs are amazing transmissions and they typically allow for full control over gear selection, you just lose the clutch pedal. Having owned both I find the traditional manual to be more engaging and fun while the DCT is super fast and perfect. Both have their place, in my opinion. If you want the best possible performance and put down numbers that can compete with other mid-engine supercars the DCT is the way to go.

I personally feel that in a car like the Corvette that isn't solely focused on track numbers that it deserves to have a manual transmission available. But I can understand the business case for avoiding the engineering cost  when it is a minority of customers that want the manual.
Yesterday I bought my long coveted two seater red sports car. I think only one of the cars my make and model  I saw nationwide on Cars.com and Carmax had a manual transmission. All others,  30 ish? Had automatic transmissions.

When I was looking at Miatas there seemed to be a decent number that had manual transmission. Of course the sample size was probably way different because there are many many Miatas.

I am OK with an automatic but had a yen for manual.

I ended up buying a Fiat 124 Spyder, a car I didnt  even know existed until 72 hours ago. It is a 2017 model.

I was plodding along at car lots lots looking at Miatas which had always been my “if I cant find something more interesting” choice, and the heavens opened and the angels sung to shine a light on a lovely car I had never seen before: the revived Fiat. I immediately assumed that classic Euro style meant Fix it Again Tony and rejected it, but when I went home to do research on this car, I find these Fiats are built on Miata chassis with Miata interiors in the Miata factories, but the style is Euro. And because I am old, that is what I like. Of course I know the old Spyders and I never especially liked them being a Triumph girl myself, but this new one has a only hit of that old Spyder.

European style with Japanese engineering and build. Sweet!

We call it The Fiatta.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2185 on: July 31, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »

Would never buy a manual again even though I still have my S2000 and love taking it out from time to time.
1) My wife needs to drive it also and she doesn't do manual.
2) I hate sitting in traffic with a Manual.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2186 on: July 31, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »

Would never buy a manual again even though I still have my S2000 and love taking it out from time to time.
1) My wife needs to drive it also and she doesn't do manual.
2) I hate sitting in traffic with a Manual.
Once I drove our truck in a parade. It had a manual transmission. Oh boy my left leg was paralyzed from clutch action.

I don't mind this automatic because I spend a fair amount of time in Hermann, Missouri which has many hills. Hills are not friendly to manuals.
Edited to add: i mean parking on hills!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:57:37 PM by iris lily »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2187 on: July 31, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
I ended up buying a Fiat 124 Spyder, a car I didnt  even know existed until 72 hours ago. It is a 2017 model.

We call it The Fiatta.

Congrats on the Fiatta! The Miata/124 Spider are a great value for sports cars.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2188 on: August 01, 2019, 05:39:09 AM »

Yesterday I bought my long coveted two seater red sports car. I think only one of the cars my make and model  I saw nationwide on Cars.com and Carmax had a manual transmission. All others,  30 ish? Had automatic transmissions.

When I was looking at Miatas there seemed to be a decent number that had manual transmission. Of course the sample size was probably way different because there are many many Miatas.

I am OK with an automatic but had a yen for manual.

I was plodding along at car lots lots looking at Miatas which had always been my “if I cant find something more interesting” choice, and the heavens opened and the angels sung to shine a light on a lovely car I had never seen before: the revived Fiat. I immediately assumed that classic Euro style meant Fix it Again Tony and rejected it, but when I went home to do research on this car, I find these Fiats are built on Miata chassis with Miata interiors in the Miata factories, but the style is Euro. And because I am old, that is what I like. Of course I know the old Spyders and I never especially liked them being a Triumph girl myself, but this new one has a only hit of that old Spyder.

European style with Japanese engineering and build. Sweet!

We call it The Fiatta.

I seriously considered the Spyder earlier this year.  Had my kiddo been just a few years older I might have gotten it.  I loved it.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2189 on: August 01, 2019, 08:44:19 AM »
No manual available for the C8?

That is just wrong.  I'm out.

Of course, I'm too cheap to have been in in the first place.   :)

It's still wrong, though.  Very wrong.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #2190 on: August 01, 2019, 09:02:27 AM »

Agreed! I just bought myself a KitchenAid mixer. Got the mixer and bowl used from Craigslist, and the standard mixing attachments from Amazon. $85 all in, and so far I’ve made blueberry muffins, banana bread, and soon I’ll need to make more muffins again. So glad I finally got it.

Nicely done on the KitchenAid.  Honestly, if you bake, it's an investment piece, and it's probably the last mixer you will ever buy.  Mine is 13 years old and going strong.  My mother's is older than me.   And the available attachments make it the ultimate multitasker. And at $85, I'd say that's admirably Mustachian.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2191 on: August 01, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
@rothwem, not all boards track well. I've also had to paddle on alternate sides once in a while to keep it tracking perfectly straight, maybe @Warlord1986 can chime in, as she's recently become a SUP instructor.

Some boards have better fins for tracking straight, while many budget boards have shorter fins. Wind, weight, chop, etc will all impact this too.

Paddling on both sides is normal. If you have trouble going in a straight line, then check and see if your paddle is facing the right way. Picking a spot on the horizon and going for that spot will also help you go straight.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2192 on: August 02, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »

Gotcha, yeah.  Makes sense that the fins quality would vary.  Maybe they thought I wanted extra maneuverability!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2193 on: August 03, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
I’m lusting after personalized license plates

I ordered new license plates/registration stickers but the good news is I was able to save a few bucks by choosing a 3 year expiration term vice just 1 year...  And a charity will get a cut of the fees because I chose a colorful plate that will hopefully help me identify my car in crowded parking lots where Priuses congregate.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2194 on: August 08, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
OK, so I honestly never thought I would have something to add in this of all threads, but I finally have something: Mack Weldon Silver boxer briefs. I sat and read through about 30 reviews before finally pulling the trigger. A little embarrassed to say I ordered two, but only to get the free shipping. I also found a coupon code for 20% off my order, so instead of it costing $34/pair it was only $26/pair. I felt a little guilty when I hit "order", but I literally NEVER buy anything nice for myself - something guaranteed to cradle my junk perfectly seemed like the right place to start.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2195 on: August 12, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
A portable kayak.  I really want to get into kayaking more seriously, but I'm pretty hampered by where I live (SoCal, no inland kayaking within an hour's drive).  There is some kayaking in bays/inlets, though it's 20-40 minutes of driving, then fighting for parking, and lugging a kayak several hundred feet.  I also don't have the room for a rigid kayak at home. 

However, I've been toying with the idea of a decent inflatable that I could attach to my e-bike trailer.  I think I'm trying to balance aspirations and reality; it sounds great to bike to the beach, hop on a kayak, and bike back.  However, it might be enough extra effort that I wouldn't do it often enough to justify - riding to the beach (7 miles each way), inflating the kayak, paddling around, deflating, drying and repacking the kayak, and riding back isn't a quick trip.  That would be several hours, and I don't often get those blocks of time.

Nevertheless, it's fun to fantasize a bit.  Currently favoring the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite. 

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2196 on: August 12, 2019, 06:28:02 PM »
A portable kayak.  I really want to get into kayaking more seriously, but I'm pretty hampered by where I live (SoCal, no inland kayaking within an hour's drive).  There is some kayaking in bays/inlets, though it's 20-40 minutes of driving, then fighting for parking, and lugging a kayak several hundred feet.  I also don't have the room for a rigid kayak at home. 

However, I've been toying with the idea of a decent inflatable that I could attach to my e-bike trailer.  I think I'm trying to balance aspirations and reality; it sounds great to bike to the beach, hop on a kayak, and bike back.  However, it might be enough extra effort that I wouldn't do it often enough to justify - riding to the beach (7 miles each way), inflating the kayak, paddling around, deflating, drying and repacking the kayak, and riding back isn't a quick trip.  That would be several hours, and I don't often get those blocks of time.

Nevertheless, it's fun to fantasize a bit.  Currently favoring the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite.

There is always this folding one https://www.orukayak.com/. Seems like it would fit on a bike trailer and dry on the way home.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2197 on: August 12, 2019, 07:25:26 PM »
Fuck, my $700 toy should be here tomorrow evening.....unfortunately I don't get to play with the rain.

Will report back on how it feels to Marty McFly it!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2198 on: August 12, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »

There is always this folding one https://www.orukayak.com/. Seems like it would fit on a bike trailer and dry on the way home.

Yeah, I've looked at those a bit.  Two things give me pause - the price, and the lower primary stability.  Until I've got more paddling hours under my belt I probably need a pretty stable kayak. 

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2199 on: August 13, 2019, 02:55:44 PM »

Yeah, I've looked at those a bit.  Two things give me pause - the price, and the lower primary stability.  Until I've got more paddling hours under my belt I probably need a pretty stable kayak.

Oru just launched their lightest/cheapest kayak model on Kickstarter. (The Inlet, IIRC) I got the email today.

We backed Oru on their original Kickstarter campaign and have been very happy with them.