Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288399 times)

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2100 on: May 14, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »
A new PC. Mine is 8 years old. But the thing is, I sit at a PC all day at work and never really feel like using on at home, so I'm not sure what I'd do with it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2101 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
A Toyota Corolla iM, or whatever it's called. The functional replacement for the Pontiac Vibe.

Except I have a car and no reason to replace it other than I miss my Vibe.
Toyota Auris, Toyota Corolla Hatchback, Toyota Corolla HB, Scion iM, Toyota Corolla iM, Toyota Blade. Take your pick. Looks like in the US they are currently going with the name Toyota Corolla Hatchback:
https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/2019

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2102 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
A Toyota Corolla iM, or whatever it's called. The functional replacement for the Pontiac Vibe.

Except I have a car and no reason to replace it other than I miss my Vibe.
Toyota Auris, Toyota Corolla Hatchback, Toyota Corolla HB, Scion iM, Toyota Corolla iM, Toyota Blade. Take your pick. Looks like in the US they are currently going with the name Toyota Corolla Hatchback:
https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/2019
FWIW, I saw a review of it, and now I want one, too.  It sounds like a well-designed, well-thought-out car.  The problem is that my '95 Corolla is still going strong, and I don't want to spend the money to replace it.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #2103 on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Upgrading my iPhone

To defend myself a little bit: current iPhone is an iPhone 6, over 4 years old, and now the speakers don't work for phone calls. Wifi calling is fine, but on cellular calls I can't hear the other person. They can hear me fine, but I cant here them, whether its through the phone, the speaker, my bluetooth earbuds, bluetooth car... nothing works.

On the upside, brother has a spare iPhone 6 plus that he uses for his software programming stuff. Said 6+ doesn't need to make phone calls, so we can swap phones when we see each other over the weekend. Dunno what to offer him yet as my thanks (plus this is a downgrade to him, so I want to throw at least a little $ in the pot for him). Also, he's planning on upgrading when the newest fanciest thing is announced, and offered his X for cheap.

Husband when I told him brother wanted to upgrade from the iPhone X. "What?! What is there to upgrade past the X?!" Me: "The XS and XR?" (don't worry, I didn't know about them either until I was at the apple store yesterday trying to get my phone fixed.)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2104 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
Car: Mini Cooper Roadster. It is red.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2105 on: June 11, 2019, 08:32:42 AM »
I am lusting after a revocable living trust done by a really expensive ($4500!) and full service estate planning law firm. Mmmmmmm so much control over my assets and how they are distributed in the event of my death...

Instead we are doing a lot of boring research and trying to get referrals to an attorney who will just provide the minimum ($1500?) service that will get the job done. The expensive attorneys put on such a great sales pitch and we wants it, we wants it...

We got one of those, a $3000 trust and all end of life documents. It came with all kinds of bells and whistle‘s that I don’t give a shit about like apparently we should be concerned about how heirs take the money that we left  to them because what if they’re at the wrong end of a lawsuit,? What about taxation for them?

See I don’t care about these issues I just want to disburse my assets quickly and easily. If I had children these issues would be more at the forefront of my mind

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2106 on: June 11, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Brompton M6R, if you know, you know........

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2107 on: June 18, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »

Recently, an E-bike.   Not to be lazy but one with wider tires than my hybrid for sections of dumped gravel on one of my routes and the power to help with some large exhausting hills, but while still allowing me to get some good exercise.

If I do it, it won't be any earlier than next spring.

MoneyGoatee

• Stubble
« Reply #2108 on: June 18, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
There is nothing I'm lusting over right now.  That's what I would expect all of you would say.  So I'm shocked this has turned into a 43-page-and-counting wish list!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2109 on: June 18, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
Thank you for your input.

It's okay to want things. We aren't monks. The pursuit of financial independence isn't about not wanting anything; it's about putting your time and money where your values are.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #2110 on: June 18, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »
Delivery pizza. That might sound like a normal thing to want, and it is...but delivery pizza isn't even good, and yet I consistently get disproportionately nagging desires for it every 10-14 days or so. I do not want to plonk down $50 a month for something that tastes just-okay, but my body's cravings would rather be stupid.

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #2111 on: June 19, 2019, 04:04:50 AM »
Delivery pizza.

Pizza is surprisingly easy to make at home as long as you have an oven.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #2112 on: June 19, 2019, 04:57:11 AM »
A 1999 silver Ferrari 550 Maranello (think of the movie bad boys) - a classic car set to appreciate over the next 10-15years. Values have come down a lot in the UK over the past 2 years and are very tempting for a long term hold.
Overtime depreciation is virtually zero... man maths says go ahead, mustachian (and wife) says you don’t need it. Thank god for my wife

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2113 on: June 19, 2019, 05:12:41 AM »
An egregiously powerful(think high-end workstation + gaming hardware) new computer.

I'm very much a computer/technology enthusiast, and I've generally built my own computers over the years.  My current system was built in 2011, with the addition of a new video card and SSD more recently.  Still, it's a relative dinousaur in computer years, and it's time to get a new system.

But getting a new system isn't the problem.  I have this idea in my head of spending $3000+ for top-end hardware that I'd rarely make full use of.  I used to be a pretty serious gamer, but those days have largely passed.  Building a super-high-end system is absolutely not a rational decision, it's a "This is the first time when building a computer that I've been in an extremely good financial situation, I could SPLUUUUURGE and it'd be fine" impulse.  It's the equivalent of a rich old guy who rarely goes over 65 on the highway buying a Ferrari/Maserati - the power would largely be wasted, but the irrational parts of my brain don't seem to care.

The new computer is happening some time within the next few months, although it remains to be seen which side of the brain wins out, and whether I'll keep my spending to fully reasonable levels.  The fact that the amount of wasted money is probably no more than a couple thousand dollars makes it hard for the rational side of my brain to put up a fight.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2114 on: June 19, 2019, 06:14:27 AM »
A 1999 silver Ferrari 550 Maranello (think of the movie bad boys) - a classic car set to appreciate over the next 10-15years. Values have come down a lot in the UK over the past 2 years and are very tempting for a long term hold.
Overtime depreciation is virtually zero... man maths says go ahead, mustachian (and wife) says you don’t need it. Thank god for my wife

The 550 Maranello is such a nice car. Gated six-speed manual, smooth V12, gorgeous lines. And they are reasonably obtainable and a great long-term value. The only thing keeping me from lusting after one as well is that they get 8/13 mpg! I could never feel comfortable driving a car that uses such an exorbitant amount of fuel. I'll have to content myself with my 1:18 scale model.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #2115 on: June 19, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »
Brompton M6R, if you know, you know........

Nice!  Very handy portable transport.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #2116 on: June 19, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »

The 550 Maranello is such a nice car. Gated six-speed manual, smooth V12, gorgeous lines. And they are reasonably obtainable and a great long-term value. The only thing keeping me from lusting after one as well is that they get 8/13 mpg! I could never feel comfortable driving a car that uses such an exorbitant amount of fuel. I'll have to content myself with my 1:18 scale model.

Mpg is not as bad as you say unless taken to a track which isn’t what the 550 was developed for. Looking at the smile per gallon would paint a different picture :-)
Also, those cars aren’t driven 15k a year... more like 2-3k as week end cars so that makes gas the lesser worry. Servicing every year is the slightly less sensible expense !!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2117 on: June 19, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »

Mpg is not as bad as you say unless taken to a track which isn’t what the 550 was developed for. Looking at the smile per gallon would paint a different picture :-)
Also, those cars aren’t driven 15k a year... more like 2-3k as week end cars so that makes gas the lesser worry. Servicing every year is the slightly less sensible expense !!

Those are the official EPA fuel economy numbers which is reasonable to use for comparison purposes. I understand you are in England where gallons are a different size (about 20% bigger). So to translate the economy would be 9.6 / 15.6 mpg (city/hwy) for imperial gallons.

The expense of fuel is not a concern for me. It's the wastefulness. My car (981 Cayman S) accelerates just as fast as the 550 Maranello but uses only 42% as much fuel.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #2118 on: June 19, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »
Delivery pizza.

Pizza is surprisingly easy to make at home as long as you have an oven.

It's way different though. Something about paying someone else to do all the work for you and then bring it to your doorstep. This is something that I lust after too every now and again, Kazyan. It's not even that good. I just want it. Then after a day or too I remember there are better options.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #2119 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
SXS / UTV for about 15k max or less - yamaha yxz seems like a great unit ! Also would need a cheap(ish) tow vehicle of 5k and under and a trailer of 1-2k and under.

22-25k all said and done ?

Worth it...probably not.

Buuuuuuuuttttt..................

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:27:25 AM by Kevin S. »

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #2120 on: June 19, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »
Ahh...where to start. My wants seem to change by the day.

Just to list a few:

*A restored 1968 Dodge Charger.
*A restored or minty original 1980 Pac Man arcade game.
*I could name about 15 different restored or minty original vintage pinball machines I'd like to own.
*An authenticated Babe Ruth single signed ball.
*An original high grade one sheet poster from the movie Abbott & Costello Meets The Mummy
Etc., etc., etc...

The issue with any of this is that the last four or five high-end items I've bought I've completely lost interest in within the first 6 months. Example: There's an artist I follow and I lusted after one of his paintings for about 5 years before I finally pulled the trigger and commissioned a piece. Now, I own two of his paintings and recent auction comps tell me that the paintings have probably tripled in value in the few short years I've owned them. While I do still enjoy the paintings I almost feel like the want was the best part; and now that I own two it's just on to the next thing. I absolutely have a collector mentallity and always have, but I'm getting to the point where the hunt/chase seems like the best part.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #2121 on: June 19, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »

Those are the official EPA fuel economy numbers which is reasonable to use for comparison purposes. I understand you are in England where gallons are a different size (about 20% bigger). So to translate the economy would be 9.6 / 15.6 mpg (city/hwy) for imperial gallons.

The expense of fuel is not a concern for me. It's the wastefulness. My car (981 Cayman S) accelerates just as fast as the 550 Maranello but uses only 42% as much fuel.

I think we will both agree that the 0-60 isn’t why you buy a 550. Otherwise nobody would ever spend millions on pre70s Ferrari’s. I currently own a F430 - and although there are faster cars in the market today - the sound, emotion and connection is second to none. I use to own a 997 turbo and although it was a little faster (4wd helped) the feeling just wasnt anywhere close to what the 430 delivers.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2122 on: June 19, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »

I think we will both agree that the 0-60 isn’t why you buy a 550. Otherwise nobody would ever spend millions on pre70s Ferrari’s. I currently own a F430 - and although there are faster cars in the market today - the sound, emotion and connection is second to none. I use to own a 997 turbo and although it was a little faster (4wd helped) the feeling just wasnt anywhere close to what the 430 delivers.

Yes, of course. I was just highlighting the relative fuel usage for that level of performance. The sound is hard to beat.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2123 on: June 22, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
I’m lusting after personalized license plates, a MacBook so I can sync my iTunes purchases to my darn phone & I’m also lusting after a Peloton exercise bike to include a butt/pelvis of steel. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2124 on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
Spent about an hour wandering Best Buy while waiting for DW's phone battery replacement.  Not something I really do anymore (even before catching the Mustachian bug). 

Perhaps predictably, I now have a bit of a hankering for a new TV.  Our main TV is a 46" 1080p, about 10 years old, and we have a 32" 720p in the man-cave.  Works fine, though obviously isn't going to do 4k content (which isn't a big deal yet).  I'm not looking for anything too fancy, and part of the desire is due to the affordability of a decent upgrade - looks like a lower-end 55" 4k with reasonable specs can be had for about $350 currently.  If I see prices in the $250-$275 range come Black Friday, I might do it. 

Guess it's stupid to want, since our TVs work fine.

Well, I'm going to fail and purchase a TV now.  However, at least it's because the final blurb in my 'lust' post from October is no longer true - our TV died last week.  I fought successfully against the PJM until now, but I'll face a family revolt shortly if we don't get a working screen in the family room.  Thankfully, prices have been getting better and my stash has been compounding while I've waited (big surprise).

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2125 on: July 19, 2019, 08:29:50 AM »
I’m lusting after personalized license plates, a MacBook so I can sync my iTunes purchases to my darn phone & I’m also lusting after a Peloton exercise bike to include a butt/pelvis of steel.

I know you probably won't, but don't buy a Peloton bike. You can get a better experience with a 1k road bike, a 1k smart trainer and a subscription to Zwift.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2126 on: July 19, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
I got my mom a Peloton; fwiw, she loves it. It wasn’t a mustachian purchase, for sure, but I get notifications almost daily that she’s completed a workout. Her SO uses it several times per week too.

I’d probably spring for a cheaper bike myself, you can get a Peloton membership for $40/mo (up to 5 users?) and do the exact same workouts. :-) Keep in mind that membership is compulsory for at least the first 12 months of bike ownership, too.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2127 on: July 19, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm lusting over this mid-engine Corvette that was just announced.
My wife gave me the OK to buy a C7 2 yrs ago but we ended up buying a house instead(much wiser decision). But I really never did let go my lust to buy a corvette one day. I even made a post on here a while ago.
So this car suppose to start ~$60k which is unheard of for a mid-engine.
I have to talk my wife into letting me get one in 3 yrs when its easily more obtainable.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #2128 on: July 19, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
I am training for a triathlon. I am keeping the budget tight. another words I am not buying much at all. I am using items I have.

But I really want one of those fancy power cycle trainer things with the fancy training program and all of the bells and whistles. I rode outside last night....sigh but I have bigger goals than having it. 

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2129 on: July 19, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »
SXS / UTV for about 15k max or less - yamaha yxz seems like a great unit ! Also would need a cheap(ish) tow vehicle of 5k and under and a trailer of 1-2k and under.

22-25k all said and done ?

Worth it...probably not.

Buuuuuuuuttttt..................

I wondering if you can make the picture larger.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #2130 on: July 19, 2019, 05:32:27 PM »
My wife gave me the OK to buy a C7 2 yrs ago but we ended up buying a house instead(much wiser decision). But I really never did let go my lust to buy a corvette one day. I even made a post on here a while ago.
I have to talk my wife into letting me get one in 3 yrs when its easily more obtainable.

DO IT!!!

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2131 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »
Came on here to post about the Corvette.

If it's $65k in the US it'll land here in Australia at about $150k (thanks to our 33% luxury car tax, 10% sales tax, 5% import duty, and 7% luxury car stamp duty - fucking commies). Still, that's a bargain compared to anything around it in the performance world.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2132 on: July 19, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »
Came on here to post about the Corvette.

If it's $65k in the US it'll land here in Australia at about $150k (thanks to our 33% luxury car tax, 10% sales tax, 5% import duty, and 7% luxury car stamp duty - fucking commies). Still, that's a bargain compared to anything around it in the performance world.

Thats too bad cause GM will even produce a right steering Corvette.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2133 on: July 20, 2019, 03:09:31 AM »
A house on the lake near us. I can easily justify the Purchase price of the house and the just dont go down in value as Gods not making anymore lakes BUT the taxes would be triple I am paying now. Our plan was to move out of state to NC once the kids get out the backup would be to stay here in the Midwest and live on a lake and its looking like plan B. Our payed for house is worth 300k but it would cost me 750 minimum for a house on the lake. Problem is if I dont buy it now then it will just keep going up but inventory is low. I have looked at a few fixer uppers but in most cases would put me over 750k or there in bad areas on the lakes I am interested in. If i moved North it would be where I really want to be but that I wouldnt be able to do for another 5 years AND my DW wont do it. So i am where I am for now. Thats all I really want all though I have looked at some new snowmobiles as my boat is paid off and been thinking about getting back into a winter toy. Loved snowmobiling and be alot cheaper than buying a place on the lake. My guess is I wont do anything because it be cheaper to just rent them if I even had the time to go. But would be nice!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2134 on: July 20, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
My lust for a modern 2 seater convertible automobile never leaves me.

I recently eliminated a Pontiac Solstice, which has always been my top pick because of styling, eliminated  because it has no trunk room. I mean it is nearly zero trunk room.

A new possibility popped up unexpectedly – the Mini  Cooper roadster. They were made from 2012-2015. I’m considering that model as well as third and fourth generation Miatas. Miatas are an obvious choice because they have been around forever and auto heads always like them ( they are always the darlings in car reviews) but I think they are a little bit boring.

I want a used car around 50,000 miles.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:46:58 AM by iris lily »

dmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2135 on: July 20, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
I’m also thinking about the 2020 corvette.  I’ve had a couple in the past, and other sports cars.  But this new one sure looks good.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2136 on: July 20, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »
A Vespa-type scooter. It sounds so fun to tool around town with!

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2137 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Iove Ferraris and the new F8 Tributo and the Stradale are my objects of lust. We could buy the Tributo now but need to finish the mortgage first before I would realistically consider. 

My real dream is an Enzo but that's a little steep for me to pay for a car unless net worth reaches 8 figures. Then it's on lol.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2138 on: July 20, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
I want a shop, but not not just any shop.  It needs to be tall enough to be useful, but not so tall we can't see over it.  Because we will look at it from the house, it needs to look nice, like a guest cottage, but did I say it needs to be tall enough to be useful?  And we have great southern exposure, so really, it should have a solar roof...

And I just priced myself out of a shop.  This is proof that wanting stupid things can actually save you money.  Just make them so stupid that you can't justify spending the money.

NickPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2139 on: July 21, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »
A full size truck (GMC Sierra please). I’m fully aware it makes zero sense- I don’t even change my own oil. Not handy at all and don’t haul things. But, I want one. Badly.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2140 on: July 23, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »

You and me both.  It's like a modern / perfected version of my MR2 Turbo, and at a price point that's not mind-bogglingly insane.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2141 on: July 23, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
A full size truck (GMC Sierra please). I’m fully aware it makes zero sense- I don’t even change my own oil. Not handy at all and don’t haul things. But, I want one. Badly.

I sympathize. I lust over a nice full-size truck like a Sierra 2500 4x4 (upgrade from my 2016 lust which was a Tacoma) to carry my truck camper (I live full-time in it) but prices for new trucks are ridiculous. My base F350 (no power anything, uncomfortable seats, ugly AF, thirsty as if there were no tomorrow) is currently in the garage for major engine work and should be ready this week. Expecting the bill to be in the $7K... ouch...

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #2142 on: July 23, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
An extra garage door opener.
No matter that it's simple to pull out my keys and enter through the front door. I just want the 1 button type, but haven't gotten to the point where I want to pay a quarter of $100. I'd rather get the Thai food that the $25 can pay for.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #2143 on: July 23, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
A bread maker.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2144 on: July 24, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »
A bread maker.

Me too.  I almost took a chance on a $5 one at a thrift store the other day, but then I realized that I don't eat bread anymore and I don't have room for any more kitchen appliances.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2145 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
I want one of those expensive facials where they use a tiny vacuum to vacuum all of the gunk out of your pores.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2146 on: July 24, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
I want a table saw and a drill press so bad.  I ordered up a table saw from harbor freight with a coupon and it was only like $120 or something but then I got hit with having to get all these rabies shots for finding a bat in our house and they cost a fortune and now I feel too guilty to keep it since I don't really need it.  So back it goes.  Depressed.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2147 on: July 24, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »

You and me both.  It's like a modern / perfected version of my MR2 Turbo, and at a price point that's not mind-bogglingly insane.

You and your famous MR2 thread.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2148 on: July 25, 2019, 06:04:12 AM »
A holiday in southern europe. That is where the sun and fun usually is. The toal cost of 1 week trip is usually almost 1000 Euros..

Yeah, I've been daydreaming of an African safari a lot lately.  But it's a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2149 on: July 25, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »
A holiday in southern europe. That is where the sun and fun usually is. The toal cost of 1 week trip is usually almost 1000 Euros..

Yeah, I've been daydreaming of an African safari a lot lately.  But it's a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

I've just been looking up what flights to South America would cost in points.

But is travel ever a stupid thing to lust after?