Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287985 times)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2050 on: March 17, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
A Privilege Series 5 owners version catamaran to go slowly sail around the world on.

I had so many catamaran lust dreams.  Finally, I think I'm over them.  Watching so many get destroyed in the 2016 hurricane season helped break the curse.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2051 on: March 17, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
Most recent lust is for Trek 920 touring bike.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2052 on: March 18, 2019, 02:37:58 AM »
A really good pair of shoes. They're £180. But £180 for a pair of shoes is insane

Not if they either prevent feet/leg injuries or pain (don't compromise with health), or are of the kind of quality that'll last a decade if you care for them (it's the price per wear that counts).

I'm saying this just since I've started spending more on shoes. :)

I temporarily squashed this urge by spending a little time with my older cheap shoes and a tin of polish. Everything is better when its shiney

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2053 on: March 18, 2019, 03:51:56 AM »
A really good pair of shoes. They're £180. But £180 for a pair of shoes is insane

Not if they either prevent feet/leg injuries or pain (don't compromise with health), or are of the kind of quality that'll last a decade if you care for them (it's the price per wear that counts).

I'm saying this just since I've started spending more on shoes. :)

I temporarily squashed this urge by spending a little time with my older cheap shoes and a tin of polish. Everything is better when its shiney

Ooh yeah I try this all the time. Then I hear them squeak and think who am I kidding lol.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2054 on: March 21, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
I bought my current car in 2009. It was bought brand new. It's a Honda CRV XL. The car is 10 years old now and has been a great car. It has received all the regular maintenance required over the years. The car only has about 24,000 miles on it.

I think this car will last another 10 years and by then will still be low mileage since I am retired and don't commute. Just local errands.

Would like some more bells and whistles of the new cars of today like back up camera. But that is just dumb to buy a new car when this one is okay...but, but, but...it is 10 years old! Winters in CT are harsh on vehicles with the salt on the roads. We take the car to the car wash frequently but rust happens anyway. So far, not seeing any.

I am 65 now and in another 10 years I will be 75. Should I get a new car NOW so I can enjoy it while I am still able to drive? I doubt I will be buying a new car at age 75.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2055 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
I bought my current car in 2009. It was bought brand new. It's a Honda CRV XL. The car is 10 years old now and has been a great car. It has received all the regular maintenance required over the years. The car only has about 24,000 miles on it.

I think this car will last another 10 years and by then will still be low mileage since I am retired and don't commute. Just local errands.

Would like some more bells and whistles of the new cars of today like back up camera. But that is just dumb to buy a new car when this one is okay...but, but, but...it is 10 years old! Winters in CT are harsh on vehicles with the salt on the roads. We take the car to the car wash frequently but rust happens anyway. So far, not seeing any.

I am 65 now and in another 10 years I will be 75. Should I get a new car NOW so I can enjoy it while I am still able to drive? I doubt I will be buying a new car at age 75.

Sounds like it is time to leave the cold northeast and head to either FL or CA, grab yourself a new two seater (perhaps an ev?) and enjoy some R&R :)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2056 on: March 21, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
A snout house has a very prominent garage facing the street, often jutting out in front of any other structural feature.

I have always hated that design, but didn't know there was a word for it. Thanks!

The front of a house should be for people, not cars. Yesterday I walked through a development packed full of snout houses and some of them even had the "front" door on the SIDE of the house, as if it were an afterthought! It was as welcoming as a wal-mart aisle. Contrast that with a 100 year old neighborhood in Louisville I once walked through where the front of every house featured a porch. A lot of folks were relaxing there, people-watching. Folks waived. There was a genuine sense of community.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2057 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
Building up a custom bike from a frameset.

I've made a deal with my future self: first i gotta spend the spring, summer and possibly autumn cycling and drop 5kg, then the bike gets to drop 3-4kg

edit: actually, now that i think about it, the sofa/couch i'm pondering would be even more stupid. I don't even have anything to look at from a sofa. Purely social norms trying to budge my hand.

Head on over to the bike forum. They have a set rule about what you are permitted to spend on a new bike. If I recall correctly, for every mile you ride your current bike, you can spend a dollar on your next one.

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2058 on: March 21, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »

I've made a deal with my future self: first i gotta spend the spring, summer and possibly autumn cycling and drop 5kg, then the bike gets to drop 3-4kg

edit: actually, now that i think about it, the sofa/couch i'm pondering would be even more stupid. I don't even have anything to look at from a sofa. Purely social norms trying to budge my hand.

Head on over to the bike forum. They have a set rule about what you are permitted to spend on a new bike. If I recall correctly, for every mile you ride your current bike, you can spend a dollar on your next one.
I hope it's 100 Miles per $ or my next bike will be very expensive and repossessed shortly

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2059 on: March 22, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »

I hope it's 100 Miles per $ or my next bike will be very expensive and repossessed shortly

Dollar per mile is a pretty low hurdle.  Spending twice as much per mile on bikes as on cars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that many people spend that and more on their fancy bikes, many of which barely get ridden.  Still, I've already more than paid for my next pricey e-bike by that metric, and I've only had my current one for a year. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2060 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
Well, I lusted and then went ahead and did it. Other than a couple years in the 90's have not had cable. Our current provider is dying a slow death, with slow operation and multiple periodic interruptions to service on the manner of hours to days (Frontier). Done diagnostics over the phone so I know what they do, and go through the motions. The modem has been replaced twice.
Anyways the past week the internet is though they tell me it should be working, it just doesn't work. Not even if everything else is unplugged and try on the desktop only. No netflix no web browsing nada. My older daughter can't complete her homework because she can't watch some TED talk. My daughter can't log her math practices on the computer. Obviously no tv watching, email reading or bill paying either.
So, not only did I sign up for cable internet ($40 a month) also signed up for actual cable tv to get HBO (another $40 a month). It is the last season of GOT. I'm tired of risking my computer on pirated downloads, hbo go is not an option, I'm saying to hell with it.

I also bought a pair of $79 speakers to add to my computer. I have no home audio system to speak of and it's frustrating not hearing movies well on the computer as well as the itunes and Pandora. I know, I should carefully research pros and cons and window shop and see if could find something better or cheaper. But for me, I value my time and at this price point it's not worth it for me to dither on it.

I will only face punch myself if I continue cable beyond the 1 year promotional period.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:06:34 PM by partgypsy »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2061 on: March 22, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
Well, I lusted and then went ahead and did it. Other than a couple years in the 90's have not had cable. Our current provider is dying a slow death, with slow operation and multiple periodic interruptions to service on the manner of hours to days (Frontier). Done diagnostics over the phone so I know what they do, and go through the motions. The modem has been replaced twice.
Anyways the past week the internet is though they tell me it should be working, it just doesn't work. Not even if everything else is unplugged and try on the desktop only. No netflix no web browsing nada. My older daughter can't complete her homework because she can't watch some TED talk. My daughter can't log her math practices on the computer. Obviously no tv watching, email reading or bill paying either.
So, not only did I sign up for cable internet ($40 a month) also signed up for actual cable tv to get HBO (another $40 a month). It is the last season of HBO. I'm tired of risking my computer on pirated downloads, hbo go is not an option, I'm saying to hell with it.

I also bought a pair of $79 speakers to add to my computer. I have no home audio system to speak of and it's frustrating not hearing movies well on the computer as well as the itunes and Pandora. I know, I should carefully research pros and cons and window shop and see if could find something better or cheaper. But for me, I value my time and at this price point it's not worth it for me to dither on it.

I will only face punch myself if I continue cable beyond the 1 year promotional period.

I am not sure why HBO GO is not an option...but you have it now, so you could play with it and see if it could be an option after your promo period. :)

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2062 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

Something I'd really like to do is to build my own bicycle from tubing.  I'm no welder, so I'd have to learn that too, but I think it'd be a fun thing to try out.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2063 on: March 22, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
From my understanding hbo go was an option. But now not only do u need. Password, but also the device needs to be on same service provider? So just borrowing someone elses password won't work...  I'm not a tech head, but that's my understanding. The last few years too chicken to running torrent videos, so just wait until got  on Netflix DVD around d 9 months later. Tired of hearing all the spoilers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:17:53 PM by partgypsy »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2064 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
From my understanding hbo go was an option. But now not only do u need. Password, but also the device needs to be on same service provider? So just borrowing someone elses password won't work...  I'm not a tech head, but that's my understanding. The last few years too chicken to running torrent videos, so just wait until got  on Netflix DVD around d 9 months later. Tired of hearing all the spoilers.

For HBO Go, yes -- I misspoke, as the streaming version is HBO Now:
https://www.hbo.com/order/now-vs-go

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2065 on: March 22, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »

For HBO Go, yes -- I misspoke, as the streaming version is HBO Now:
https://www.hbo.com/order/now-vs-go

I now have cable! There is a way to do it, but it's more involved than sharing a password.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2066 on: March 23, 2019, 07:43:52 AM »
https://taxaoutdoors.com/ultra-light-trailers/tigermoth-camper-trailer/

Ultralight camper.  Don’t want to buy a bigger $$$$ vehicle to pull a trailer.  So needs to be ultralight. But I want to be able to camp in the shoulder seasons, when a tent is not really a possibility. Also want a unit with AC so we can safely leave our dog when she isn’t allowed on the trails, like in many national parks.

But these run $10,000 to $15,000 new. Maybe in a couple years I can find a used one that I can afford with cash.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2067 on: March 23, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »

Ultralight camper.  Don’t want to buy a bigger $$$$ vehicle to pull a trailer.  So needs to be ultralight. But I want to be able to camp in the shoulder seasons, when a tent is not really a possibility. Also want a unit with AC so we can safely leave our dog when she isn’t allowed on the trails, like in many national parks.

But these run $10,000 to $15,000 new. Maybe in a couple years I can find a used one that I can afford with cash.

If you do end up with a trailer someday, check out these: https://newwaveteardrop.com/

I have a friend with one and it's pretty awesome.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2068 on: March 24, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »

If you do end up with a trailer someday, check out these: https://newwaveteardrop.com/

I have a friend with one and it's pretty awesome.

Thanks. I’ll check those out.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2069 on: March 25, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »
Not only am I lusting after it, I'm also going to be buying it in the next few months: an aero road bike and aero deep-section wheels for racing only. It's going to cost me close to two thousand dollars, and it will see perhaps 200km a year of road...but a big chunk of that 200km will be in races, where I strongly suspect it'll gain me at least a minute per 20km. Does it make sense that I'd spend that much on such small gains? To me, yes. I intend to try to qualify for the world duathlon championships when I retire, and that minute could well be the difference.

Well, a positive pregnancy test has changed plans somewhat. No new bike, for the best of possible reasons!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2070 on: March 25, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
congratulations!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2071 on: March 25, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »
Congratulations!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2072 on: March 25, 2019, 01:32:32 PM »
Sounds like you were lusting after something else more than the bike, eh? :D  Congratulations!

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2074 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
I'm still lusting after a Mclaren. I recently rejigged my financial spreadsheet to incorporate a purchase of a Mclaren at age 38 and retirement at age 47, all things going steady. Fingers crossed!

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #2075 on: March 26, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
A home in Faro, Portugal.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2076 on: March 29, 2019, 05:55:55 AM »
Would it work with a Smart tv?

I don't know but I can try mine with my TV tonight and let you know.

I just looked and traditional DVD players are under $40 now with remote. Small too. Would be easy to carry around. Saw one for $25!

The PC external DVD player did not work with my TV. It powered up and allowed me to eject a disc but no playing the disc.

Thanks for trying Joe, I appreciate the effort.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2077 on: March 29, 2019, 08:02:57 AM »
Thank you for the various messages of congrats, particularly this one...

Sounds like you were lusting after something else more than the bike, eh? :D  Congratulations!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2078 on: March 29, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »
Clown house. Or potential mini farm depending on POV. We're making an offer.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2079 on: March 29, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »
I desperately want an apartment/house with two (or more) garage bays. Right now my car is squished into a single bay with most of my tools (some tools have overflowed into the basement).

My landlord finished our whole basement recently and it's beautiful...we gained another ~400 square feet for minimal additional cost ($80/mo). Our apartment is fantastic, our neighbors are great...but as a car guy who generally DIY's, street parking + one garage spot (and one driveway spot that my roommate uses) is slowly getting to me.

We're in a lease through December, so at least I won't do anything foolish til then.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #2080 on: April 01, 2019, 06:23:02 AM »
I have been having A FEW lusts lately:

A privacy fence even though I already have a perfectly fine chain-link fence (one portion does need redone, so now I'm having an internal dialogue about how I should just do ALL of it and do a 6ft privacy fence/8ft in the back).  Ridiculous.

A really funny and cute cross-stitch that says "Please don't do coke in my bathroom" from Etsy for my bathroom wall.  BUT - No bathroom "decor" until I sand and paint it in there... and do the things that actually NEED to be done.  BUT WANT.

Membership at a yoga studio.  I already have an unmustachian gym membership (which I looooove) and now I want to add to it?  No.  BUT WANT.  I do not have, nor have been successful in building, the internal drive/passion to do yoga (or any workout besides running) at home by myself.  And I was a PT for like 8 years.  Ha.  I rely on the community that comes with gym memberships.  BUT, it's almost warm weather season, which means donation-based yoga classes in parks throughout the city will begin soon.  No $50/mo yoga studio membership for me.  NO.

Ok, i feel better getting those off of my chest.

.....and yes, I do still want those Wu Tang socks I posted about on here in 2017.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #2081 on: April 01, 2019, 04:06:31 PM »
.....and yes, I do still want those Wu Tang socks I posted about on here in 2017.

Firstly: What what? Is there an easy way to search the thread for your 2017 post? I think I need want to know more about this Wu Tang sock opportunity.

Lastly: I think they've been on the list long enough that they've moved into the "won't regret it" category.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #2082 on: April 01, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
The last thing I lusted for I ended up buying, even though I couldn't afford it with money I didn't have. That was my upside down by 5K Infiniti haha.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2083 on: April 01, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »
I have been having A FEW lusts lately:

A privacy fence even though I already have a perfectly fine chain-link fence (one portion does need redone, so now I'm having an internal dialogue about how I should just do ALL of it and do a 6ft privacy fence/8ft in the back).  Ridiculous.

A really funny and cute cross-stitch that says "Please don't do coke in my bathroom" from Etsy for my bathroom wall.  BUT - No bathroom "decor" until I sand and paint it in there... and do the things that actually NEED to be done.  BUT WANT.

Membership at a yoga studio.  I already have an unmustachian gym membership (which I looooove) and now I want to add to it?  No.  BUT WANT.  I do not have, nor have been successful in building, the internal drive/passion to do yoga (or any workout besides running) at home by myself.  And I was a PT for like 8 years.  Ha.  I rely on the community that comes with gym memberships.  BUT, it's almost warm weather season, which means donation-based yoga classes in parks throughout the city will begin soon.  No $50/mo yoga studio membership for me.  NO.

Ok, i feel better getting those off of my chest.

I want an 8 foot fence with either tongue and groove fencing boards or cement that will also block sounds to some degree better than a privacy fence made with regular boards.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #2084 on: April 02, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »
@pdxmonkey OMG the additional somewhat sound-proof element to a better fence sounds amazing.  I only want 8ft in the back (6ft everywhere else) because my rear neighbors are slightly uphill.  Also...The husband seems like a good enough dude, but the wife has already said a few vaguely racist things... so I don't mind blocking them out and only interacting with the husband on occasion through the driveway (she doesn't come down that far in the yard, thank goodness).

@GreenToTheCore - Gosh I don't even know if I could find the link.  They live somewhere in my 'Save for Later' section of amazon along with several hundred other items.  BUT I think about them every now and then.  It's become a fun game to see how long I can avoid buying $15 "fashion socks" at this point.  Ha.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2085 on: April 08, 2019, 10:49:20 PM »
•  Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance with Track Mode 

Since we bought a Chevy Bolt two years ago I've realized that I have lost all interest in ICE cars.  Electric only from now on.  And I no longer have a car that I can take to the track.  Or maybe I wait for the Model Y cuz I'd rather have a hatch.

•  Ducati Panigale V4S.  Because I've never had an Italian mistress.

•  Cheap craigslist track bike so if I dump it I don't cry like I would if I dumped the Panigale.

•  Honda Grom.  To race and practice wheelies on, both at lower risk than a full sized motorcycle.

None of the above will likely happen, but it's fun to have lusts.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2086 on: April 09, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
There is a job opening that would probably include a bigger than I should accept pay-cut but would also be an awesome commute (compared to what I do currently), much better work/life balance, and almost 0 traveling.

I am afraid my resume is probably in the over qualified pile but I am at a point in my family life that taking a step back (not out) sounds really appealing right now.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2087 on: April 09, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
I want all five seasons of Stargate Atlantis on DVD. Silly I know.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2088 on: April 09, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »

That is silly. It's cheaper on Blu-ray!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2089 on: April 09, 2019, 09:04:32 AM »

I....might have those somewhere, but I may have (probably...) given them away. PM me to remind me and I'll check when I get home.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2090 on: April 10, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
New guitar. And only because (1) the neck is exactly 1.5" longer than my current guitar, and (2) I perceive it to be more "metal" as my current guitar is more "rock & roll". Lusting after objects does not get much stupider than that folks.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2091 on: April 10, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
...even though I couldn't afford it with money I didn't have.

Meaning you COULD afford it with money you DID have?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2092 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »
I want my body to start working, so I can stop spending all of my extra money on medical bills. $10k last year, and starting this year off at $2500. It's a stupid thing to lust after because life doesn't work that way...but man, I'd be doing really well if I could have thrown all of that money in my savings, instead of towards medical bills.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2093 on: April 10, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
New guitar. And only because (1) the neck is exactly 1.5" longer than my current guitar, and (2) I perceive it to be more "metal" as my current guitar is more "rock & roll". Lusting after objects does not get much stupider than that folks.

I know the feeling. 10 years ago, when I started earning a decent paycheck I started collecting electric guitars because I liked the color or the fretboard inlay design looked cool, or I didn't already own a guitar with that brand name or I didn't have X type of humbuckers on my current guitars. I think I have 6-7 guitars at this point, but most of them were purchased from second hand music shops or on scratch and dent discounts. I now have the first-world problem of having too many guitars to clean, maintain, store, tune and etc.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: April 11, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »
I want my body to start working, so I can stop spending all of my extra money on medical bills. $10k last year, and starting this year off at $2500. It's a stupid thing to lust after because life doesn't work that way...but man, I'd be doing really well if I could have thrown all of that money in my savings, instead of towards medical bills.

Ugh. I get that. 

I've had recurring knee issues and every time I go to the PT, its ~$100 and I think, "another day of retirement, spent at the PT".  But with that said, I don't think that it would be much fun to be retired and feeble, so I pony up and get it done. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2095 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I want a Tern GSD. I don't need it but I want it so bad. If I got one it would probably sit in my garage all the time because I don't have any need for such a thing. But I want it so bad now.

Tern GSD cargo ebike
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:07:37 PM by Parizade »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2096 on: May 13, 2019, 05:33:15 PM »
I want a Tern GSD. I don't need it but I want it so bad. If I got one it would probably sit in my garage all the time because I don't have any need for such a thing. But I want it so bad now.

Tern GSD cargo ebike

You know it’s expensive when you can’t find the price on the website.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2097 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »

Tern GSD cargo ebike

You know it’s expensive when you can’t find the price on the website.

$3999 at REI. 400lb cargo capacity and 150 mile rt battery.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2098 on: May 14, 2019, 07:12:43 AM »
A remodeled bathroom, which if I am able to use the workers I'm hoping to use, will cost something that is reasonable so I will go forward with it.

The other thing that I want to do is (facepunch time) a trip to Universal studios. Another friend of mine is taking her family in the fall; we all as a group get along really well so it is very tempting, plus i've never been.   

The only other trip I have planned in the future is to visit my immediate family in the summer. We were supposed to do a nice vacation during that visit (state park), but as my older brother is seriously ill, any "fun" plans are up in the air.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2099 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:13 AM »
A Toyota Corolla iM, or whatever it's called. The functional replacement for the Pontiac Vibe.

Except I have a car and no reason to replace it other than I miss my Vibe.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!