Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288192 times)

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2000 on: February 16, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »
A quaint family home.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/Sendero/Plan-2/home/147533783?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Currently rent a ‘2.5’ bed for $2800. A $6000 mortgage doesn’t sound all that bad does it !?!

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #2001 on: February 17, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
I want a Honda Ridgeline RTL-E and a Hobbie Kayak w/ pedal drive to go in the back of the new truck. I even negotiated an amazing deal for the truck, the lowest I’ve seen anyone get for price paid. I just couldn’t pull the trigger! I have a 15 year old accord that still runs just fine.

Our preschool commitment of$1200/month ends in May so . . . .

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2002 on: February 17, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
A quaint family home.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/Sendero/Plan-2/home/147533783?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Currently rent a ‘2.5’ bed for $2800. A $6000 mortgage doesn’t sound all that bad does it !?!

$1.26M for a fugly semi-snout house...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2003 on: February 17, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache

« Reply #2005 on: February 17, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
A quaint family home.

What's a semi-snout house?
A snout house has a very prominent garage facing the street, often jutting out in front of any other structural feature. The garage is prominent but flush with the front in the linked example, so I'm only giving half credit.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2006 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
A quaint family home.

A snout house has a very prominent garage facing the street, often jutting out in front of any other structural feature. The garage is prominent but flush with the front in the linked example, so I'm only giving half credit.

Hang on a second.

If a "snout house" is a structure with a prominent protrusion from the main building and a"semi-snout" house has no protrusions, that makes nearly every house either a snout house or a semi snout house.  One exception that comes to mind would be the Futuro, which is not likely to be considered any sort of snout house.

« Reply #2007 on: February 17, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
A quaint family home.

Hang on a second.

If a "snout house" is a structure with a prominent protrusion from the main building and a"semi-snout" house has no protrusions, that makes nearly every house either a snout house or a semi snout house.  One exception that comes to mind would be the Futuro, which is not likely to be considered any sort of snout house.
Not just any protrusion but a garage (and not just any garage but one that dominates the view of the house from the street).

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2008 on: February 28, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »

Gold mostly is, too, and it's in the neighborhood of 40% of Canadian mining production. Blows my mind a little that so much effort is put into something with such little real use so people can put it around their necks and fingers. *shrug*

Yeap. When I met DH I had some qualms about dating a guy involve in the most pointlessly polluting industry I could conceive, but he's pretty awesome, so I gave him a chance. Glad I did!

Necro post as I seem to be catching up!

Mining isn't the polluter it has the reputation to be, especially in Canada. I ignore most of it and hope to meet a level-headed lady like yourself who doesn't mind us dirty miners. ;)

On-topic: I want a new set of golf irons. I don't need them. But I want them. I've been debating buying them for at least a year.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2009 on: March 08, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I'd like a set of offset ratcheting wrenches ~$32. I don't need them, but they might come in handy. They'll have to wait for a rainy day.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2010 on: March 08, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
I want to renovate my perfectly good kitchen just to make it prettier/more modern. No matter how often I remind myself that my kitchen is perfectly fine the way it is I keep looking at pictures of white quartz counters, sparkling new tile backsplashes, and open shelving.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2011 on: March 08, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
If I had open shelving and white quartz countertops it would make me want to remodel to get rid of them. Open shelving looks ok in photos when everything on the shelves is staged and perfect, but it's such bad thing in real life in my opinion. I'd go insane trying to keep it all nice looking. No need to have things in appealing relation to one another when you can just shut the door.
I do have a steel peg board in place of one set of cupboards where I hang most of my pots and pans and a magnetic knife holder. That's the most I ever intend to keep in the open.

My current lust is a second comma for my net worth by a certain date in 2020. It's somewhat out of my control as whether I make it or not is largely dependent on market fluctuations. I don't even care if the net worth goes back to one comma after that date. I just want to get they by that date at least once as a trophy. I'm on track to stash enough between now and then so long as the market cooperates by not taking before I get there.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2012 on: March 09, 2019, 12:58:13 AM »
If I had open shelving and white quartz countertops it would make me want to remodel to get rid of them. Open shelving looks ok in photos when everything on the shelves is staged and perfect, but it's such bad thing in real life in my opinion. I'd go insane trying to keep it all nice looking. No need to have things in appealing relation to one another when you can just shut the door.
I do have a steel peg board in place of one set of cupboards where I hang most of my pots and pans and a magnetic knife holder. That's the most I ever intend to keep in the open.

My current lust is a second comma for my net worth by a certain date in 2020. It's somewhat out of my control as whether I make it or not is largely dependent on market fluctuations. I don't even care if the net worth goes back to one comma after that date. I just want to get they by that date at least once as a trophy. I'm on track to stash enough between now and then so long as the market cooperates by not taking before I get there.

An extra comma in your net worth isn't a "stupid thing" to lust after IMHO. Dreaming of a silly new kitchen, on the other hand, is facepunch-worthy.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2013 on: March 09, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
It's not stupid in general, the stupid part is I want it by some arbitrary date and don't care if it goes away after. Generally as long as I'm doing my part to keep things on track I don't worry about dates. I'll get to fire eventually. This date had me don't stupid stuff like checking my net worth frequently and adding unnecessary stress to my life. I need to just let it go, but for some reason I can't. I also want a fancy car, but this second comma/date thing is much more stupid in that it won't change my life in any appreciable way as it's not my final fire number.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2014 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
I want a detached garage for hobbies - as I've rambled on about here before. Our solution is not to simply build one for the price of a new car but to move to a house that has one.

We're in the drooling phase. We'll see if the logic kicks in soon. I suspect it will.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2015 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
I want a detached garage for hobbies - as I've rambled on about here before. Our solution is not to simply build one for the price of a new car but to move to a house that has one.

We're in the drooling phase. We'll see if the logic kicks in soon. I suspect it will.

I'm always on the lookout also.  It doesn't make sense for me right now to move, but I'm hoping that if I keep combing the MLS, eventually something will pop up at a price that will make it make sense. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2016 on: March 12, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »

An extra comma in your net worth isn't a "stupid thing" to lust after IMHO. Dreaming of a silly new kitchen, on the other hand, is facepunch-worthy.

I'm fighting the new kitchen, as DW has wanted it for a while and I've grudgingly accepted her 'demand.'  I managed to talk her down from original dreams of knocking out walls, new cabinets, built-in island, new pantry closet, etc. by getting her on board with FIRE.  I splurged for new appliances late last year, which has been nice, but comparably cheap.  Next is the counters, floors, backsplash, cabinet refacing/repainting.  Much more expensive, requiring a contractor and a kitchen shutdown, and not providing any additional functionality to our kitchen like the appliances did.  I'm definitely struggling with it.  I try to mentally defray a portion of the cost with the added value it will provide when we sell our house, presumably in a few years, but at best that's giving us a percentage back, maybe tracking with inflation from there. 

Unexpectedly high tax bills have put the plans on hold until we get through April, but after that I'll really need to take my medicine and get this process rolling again. 

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2017 on: March 12, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Been talking about getting a minvan for various reasons.  I currently drive an all electric fiat and love it but kids are outgrowing the back seat.  Between tax credits (we'd qualify for the full federal and CA state credits), dealer incentives and the value for sale of the fiat would put the out of pocket costs for a new one at ~$25k.  So tempting, yet that's a big chunk of change to part with at once.
If it helps, I (and many others) have been less than impressed with the comfort of the seats in the back of Chrysler's vans.  Stow'n'Go is nice, but it requires some sacrifices.

I wouldn’t trade my Pacifica for anything else =)

My wife didn’t like T&C backseats for sleeping, but hadn’t had the same complaint with the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We succeeded in avoiding the temptation.  Went and test drove, new car salesman tactics turned us off completely along with the reality of writing a 45k check and we just weren’t sold on it completely.  No thanks! We decided to put about $1k into what we have to get it running smoother/more reliably and revisit an upgrade in a year or so.  Funny is someone posted MMM’s car buying chart and I was like, yes this will help. It said to buy a Tesla, ha!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2018 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »
I'm fighting the new kitchen, as DW has wanted it for a while and I've grudgingly accepted her 'demand.'  I managed to talk her down from original dreams of knocking out walls, new cabinets, built-in island, new pantry closet, etc. by getting her on board with FIRE.

I'm sorry Arbitrage, but good on you for trying to keep your DW happy. It's hard enough arguing with myself over this, if I had to fight with someone else I'm sure my resolve would vanish quickly. At this point I'm willing to just paint the cabinets and see if that satisfies my compulsion.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2019 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
The upcoming C8 Corvette.  I've been a mid-engine fan for ages (bought my first MR2 in 2005)....and it looks like the perfect car.  500hp LS-based mid-engine V8..but $60k+.

I'll keep rocking my C5 Z06, I think.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2020 on: March 12, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
The upcoming C8 Corvette.  I've been a mid-engine fan for ages (bought my first MR2 in 2005)....and it looks like the perfect car.  500hp LS-based mid-engine V8..but $60k+.

I'll keep rocking my C5 Z06, I think.

Cheaper than a Mosler MT900, at least!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2021 on: March 12, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
I would like a way to watch a DVD boxed set but I sold my little used DVD player a couple years ago.  I’ve looked at cheap laptops that have a disc drive as a way to have a laptop again and watch DVDs.  Cheap laptops however do not include Apples which is unfortunately what all my accounts are tied to, so I hesitate to buy a cheap laptop that my iCloud stuff won’t sync up with.  Also the people I regularly visit or petsit for also do not have DVD players I could use.  The thrift store DVD players I’ve seen don’t look too promising.  This first world problem is a dumb one, ugh!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2022 on: March 12, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
I would like a way to watch a DVD boxed set but I sold my little used DVD player a couple years ago.  I’ve looked at cheap laptops that have a disc drive as a way to have a laptop again and watch DVDs.  Cheap laptops however do not include Apples which is unfortunately what all my accounts are tied to, so I hesitate to buy a cheap laptop that my iCloud stuff won’t sync up with.  Also the people I regularly visit or petsit for also do not have DVD players I could use.  The thrift store DVD players I’ve seen don’t look too promising.  This first world problem is a dumb one, ugh!

have you tried posting a request to freecycle.org? I bet someone would give you a DVD player.

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2023 on: March 13, 2019, 03:11:29 AM »
Braces.  Though may be prepared to convince myself that it's not entirely stupid. Will wait and see what the quote is...

Done. Now thtruggling with buyerth' remorth becauth I have a lithp.  At my age.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2024 on: March 13, 2019, 04:15:53 AM »

USB DVD drives that work on both Mac and PC are about $20.

Also the icloud client works on PC. It's not as slick as the Mac version, but will sync all your photos between phone and PC. A 3 year old i5 laptop with a new ssd will work just fine
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:18:04 AM by NorthernMonkey »

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2025 on: March 13, 2019, 04:23:36 AM »
Braces.  Though may be prepared to convince myself that it's not entirely stupid. Will wait and see what the quote is...

I don't think braces are stupid! Dental issues can cause all sorts of related health trouble if you don't take care of them.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2026 on: March 13, 2019, 05:07:39 AM »
I want a garden. Just received a quote and it's 10k. Not going to happen.

When we bought our house it hadn't been lived in for some time and the backyard was in an awful state: completely overgrown, lots of rocks, patches of concrete in weird places, several dead trees. Over the past 4 years I've put in a lot of work to make it better, but it takes me a lot of time and energy I don't have (due to health issues I'm not physically strong). It's much better than when we came here but it's going to take me several more years to get it anywhere close to what I want (nothing fancy: a small patio, some flowers, a small lawn and some raised beds for vegetables) and I just want it so much :( :( But I can't justify spending 10k on something as unnecessary as a garden. I'm getting another quote next week and hopefully that's quite a bit lower.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2027 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

I don't think braces are stupid! Dental issues can cause all sorts of related health trouble if you don't take care of them.

I did Invisalign last year; my teeth were only crooked on the bottom.  Quote ended up at about $3100, I think, all-inclusive.  Managed to pay 100% of it through my FSA by getting the procedure started (and the bills due) during the carryover period at the beginning of the year, effectively using 2 years of contributions. 

It was worth it, because the crooked tooth bugged me quite a bit - I never had braces when young but the crowding of my lower jaw was just worsening with time. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2028 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »

I did Invisalign last year; my teeth were only crooked on the bottom.  Quote ended up at about $3100, I think, all-inclusive.  Managed to pay 100% of it through my FSA by getting the procedure started (and the bills due) during the carryover period at the beginning of the year, effectively using 2 years of contributions. 

It was worth it, because the crooked tooth bugged me quite a bit - I never had braces when young but the crowding of my lower jaw was just worsening with time.

I just got my retainers for my Invisalign. It was kind of an impulse purchase, and I have definite buyer's remorse. My teeth were a little crooked, but no real problems. Now they're (mostly) straight, but my molars don't line up correctly anymore, so chewing is a bit challenging. Small things just get swallowed whole because it's easier than trying to chew. The whole process was a pain in the ass. I wish I could go back and slap myself before dropping $4500 (plus $250 for the retainers).

I'm currently lusting after a new apartment. I love this place, and it's cheap for the area, and my cousin is my landlord which is also nice. And it has a huge balcony and a great location. But it's a 550ft studio, and after living here more than 6 years, Hubs and I are starting to feel cramped. And I want a place with a pool (gym memberships are ridiculously pricey around here, and there are no public pools anywhere nearby) and a dishwasher and in-unit washer/dryer, and maybe dog friendly. But the buildings with locations as good as ours are way more expensive for studios the same or smaller. And the ones with poorer locations still cost more (but within budget), don't have balconies, far from grocery stores, etc. I wouldn't even mind something around the same size as long as it has actual rooms with walls separating them and doesn't cost twice what my current place does.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2029 on: March 13, 2019, 02:02:59 PM »

I just got my retainers for my Invisalign. It was kind of an impulse purchase, and I have definite buyer's remorse. My teeth were a little crooked, but no real problems. Now they're (mostly) straight, but my molars don't line up correctly anymore, so chewing is a bit challenging. Small things just get swallowed whole because it's easier than trying to chew. The whole process was a pain in the ass. I wish I could go back and slap myself before dropping $4500 (plus $250 for the retainers).

I'm currently lusting after a new apartment. I love this place, and it's cheap for the area, and my cousin is my landlord which is also nice. And it has a huge balcony and a great location. But it's a 550ft studio, and after living here more than 6 years, Hubs and I are starting to feel cramped. And I want a place with a pool (gym memberships are ridiculously pricey around here, and there are no public pools anywhere nearby) and a dishwasher and in-unit washer/dryer, and maybe dog friendly. But the buildings with locations as good as ours are way more expensive for studios the same or smaller. And the ones with poorer locations still cost more (but within budget), don't have balconies, far from grocery stores, etc. I wouldn't even mind something around the same size as long as it has actual rooms with walls separating them and doesn't cost twice what my current place does.
Is there any way you could work with your landlord to split the cost of improvements like an in-unit laundry or dishwasher?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2030 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
We succeeded in avoiding the temptation.  Went and test drove, new car salesman tactics turned us off completely along with the reality of writing a 45k check and we just weren’t sold on it completely.  No thanks! We decided to put about $1k into what we have to get it running smoother/more reliably and revisit an upgrade in a year or so.  Funny is someone posted MMM’s car buying chart and I was like, yes this will help. It said to buy a Tesla, ha!

Don't forget shopping used "off-lease" examples. Might save you $15K-$20K and the vehicle will have 35K-40K miles which isn't a big deal. Most cars last 200K+ these days anyhow. We did this for a different brand/model and it was pristine. No troubles in 25K miles.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2031 on: March 14, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »

Buy an external DVD drive for $25. Works with everything (laptops, desktops, usually not OS specific). Some (most?) come with a single USB cord now.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2032 on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

Buy an external DVD drive for $25. Works with everything (laptops, desktops, usually not OS specific). Some (most?) come with a single USB cord now.
Would it work with a Smart tv?

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2033 on: March 14, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »

Don't forget shopping used "off-lease" examples. Might save you $15K-$20K and the vehicle will have 35K-40K miles which isn't a big deal. Most cars last 200K+ these days anyhow. We did this for a different brand/model and it was pristine. No troubles in 25K miles.

That’s our usual M.O. and the ONLY reason we were considering new was because the plug in hybrid would qualify for the full $7500 federal rebate and $1500 California rebate.  In the end we talked ourselves out of it because we could get a used non-hybrid for MUCH less and  the difference in cost would be much more than we’d save in fuel costs for a long long time with the hybrid and also hoping the hybrids will come down A LOT in price in a few years being used. Just going to sit back and wait for now.  I’m super happy with this decision.  The idea of spending that much was causing me lots of internal angst!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2034 on: March 14, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »

I don't know but I can try mine with my TV tonight and let you know.

I just looked and traditional DVD players are under $40 now with remote. Small too. Would be easy to carry around. Saw one for $25!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2035 on: March 14, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
Blu Ray players can be had new in the $40 range regular price and also play DVDs. Much cheaper at the good wills around here and will give you the option of paying both Blu rays and DVDs. If your smart TV is any good and is larger than tiny Blu Ray is going to look better. Plus if you're borrowing stuff you'll have more options than if you had a DVD player.

Heck I saw a PS3 for $25 at the goodwill and left it there. It'll play Blu Ray DVDs and games. Keep your eye out.

Ryder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:39 AM »
Infrared camera (the photography kind, not security). It allows for interesting looking images (https://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices - I like the golden foliage of Super Color IR), but it is a second (extra expensive) camera to drag along, and the pictures require individual postprocessing (which I normally don't do at all, in-camera JPG for me). In other words, it costs up-front money, ongoing effort dragging the camera along and spending time editing pictures, which may in reality not look quite that awesome. Those golden trees still look mighty nice though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:16:25 AM by Ryder »

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2037 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
Infrared camera (the photography kind, not security). It allows for interesting looking images (https://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices - I like the golden foliage of Super Color IR), but it is a second (extra expensive) camera to drag along, and the pictures require individual postprocessing (which I normally don't do at all, in-camera JPG for me). In other words, it costs up-front money, ongoing effort dragging the camera along and spending time editing pictures, which may in reality not look quite that awesome. Those golden trees still look mighty nice though.

Look for an IR modded (or astro-modded) older DSLR. people take out the IR filter for astrophotograpy.

Digital cameras are naturally highly sensitive to IR, and they have an IR filter infront of the sensor. The mod is basically to rip out this filter. Combine this with an R72 filter, and you have a budget IR camera.

You should be able to pick up a modded canon 350d or 400d for not a lot of cash

bryangreene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2038 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
“There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.”

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2039 on: March 15, 2019, 01:14:26 PM »
As Otto from the Simpsons once asked: "you know those guitars that are, like, double guitars?"; well, I want one of those.  Money aside, I'm sure my neck, shoulders and back would not benefit from it!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-g-1275-double-neck-electric-guitar?rNtt=doubleneck%20guitar&index=2

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2040 on: March 15, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »

I just looked and traditional DVD players are under $40 now with remote. Small too. Would be easy to carry around. Saw one for $25!

The PC external DVD player did not work with my TV. It powered up and allowed me to eject a disc but no playing the disc.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2041 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »

The PC external DVD player did not work with my TV. It powered up and allowed me to eject a disc but no playing the disc.

It's getting 5v power out of the USB port on the TV but the TV doesn't understand the data coming out of it..you'd have to run it through a laptop/etc and then connect the laptop's video output to the TV in order to get it to work. :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2042 on: March 15, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
For a guitarist, the addiction to new gear is very real, and constant!

This guitar is sort of my white whale, as far as instruments go. I've actually attempted to hunt one down to give it a test run, ready to make a purchase! But no stores in my area stock it. Not making a purchase like this without being able to play it first.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-custom-24-10-top-electric-guitar/j44585000004000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

I used to own almost that identical guitar. Mine was more of a brownish orange sunburst. It was the custom 24 with bird inlays. I worked my ass off in high school and bout it for around $1850 back then. Wish I never would have sold it, as today the cost for another is around double.

I don’t play much anymore, but when I FIRE it’s high on my list to pick back up. I had an epiphone les Paul standard I loved, and I’ll need to include a Gibson Les Paul Standard in my FIRE budget lol.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2043 on: March 16, 2019, 07:17:11 AM »
https://www.tesla.com/modely

At what income / net worth would the above purchase be considered ‘frugal’? :-)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2044 on: March 16, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
https://www.tesla.com/modely

At what income / net worth would the above purchase be considered ‘frugal’? :-)

Net worth approximately $1+ million, according to the 5% rule.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2045 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
A really good pair of shoes. They're £180. But £180 for a pair of shoes is insane

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2046 on: March 16, 2019, 12:15:35 PM »
A really good pair of shoes. They're £180. But £180 for a pair of shoes is insane

Not if they either prevent feet/leg injuries or pain (don't compromise with health), or are of the kind of quality that'll last a decade if you care for them (it's the price per wear that counts).

I'm saying this just since I've started spending more on shoes. :)   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2047 on: March 16, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »

It's getting 5v power out of the USB port on the TV but the TV doesn't understand the data coming out of it..you'd have to run it through a laptop/etc and then connect the laptop's video output to the TV in order to get it to work. :)

Right, I knew that. I also thought there was a tiny, tiny chance the TV might have enough Linux in it to be able to read the disc directly. My TV is capable of playing videos from an external hard drive or thumb drive if it was ripped to a file.

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #2048 on: March 17, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »
A Privilege Series 5 owners version catamaran to go slowly sail around the world on.

Ryder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2049 on: March 17, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »

Look for an IR modded (or astro-modded) older DSLR. people take out the IR filter for astrophotograpy.

Digital cameras are naturally highly sensitive to IR, and they have an IR filter infront of the sensor. The mod is basically to rip out this filter. Combine this with an R72 filter, and you have a budget IR camera.

You should be able to pick up a modded canon 350d or 400d for not a lot of cash

That would solve the cash problem, but not the space and time editing concerns :). I've considered getting a modded P&S instead, those can be quite a lot more affordable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'll enjoy the experience compared to my regular A6300 - that would leave me with just the timesink of editing...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!