Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 327695 times)

Enough

• Stubble
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2000 on: February 10, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »
Sonos speaker set

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2001 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
New lust...

I currently drive a 2017 Leaf and my inner "treehugger" LOVES driving an electric car.  Last year I got a new job and the commute requires that I charge E-V-E-R-Y day in the winter (the range is good for the other 3 seasons).  Getting home from work an extra hour later, especially when the baby will be ready for bed soon after I get home, is making me very very cranky.  I did start carpooling in Dec and that helps but my week to drive is still very frustrating.

I have 4 main goals for a vehicle at this point: Initial Price, Distance between charge/refuel, Environmental Impact, and Monthly Cost.  The way I see it, to fix my getting home late problem, I have 4 vehicle choices.  Keep my current car, replace current car with used "beater" Prius, replace current car with 2018 Leaf, or replace current car with Used Tesla.  If I assign each of these 4 vehicles a 1-4 ranking for each of these goals, my current car comes in 1st place, followed by the used Prius.  Keeping the current car doesn't fix my issue and replacing it with a Prius (the current Leaf originally replaced my old Prius with over 300k miles on it) feels like a step backwards on the environmental impact goal.  Since the distance between charge/refuel impacts my time with family it should probably be weighted heavier then everything else, which would change these final results.  The environmental impact is also a very important thing for me and I have often made a choice to spend more on an item that has a better environmental impact.   This leads me to look at the other 2 options and a new Leaf is not drastically cheaper than a used Tesla but the range is a pretty big difference.  Now I want a Tesla!

Before anyone suggest it, moving is not currently an option but might be in a few years.

CoffeeR

• Stubble
« Reply #2002 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
BMW M2 competition

penguintroopers

• Stubble
« Reply #2003 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
New lust...

I currently drive a 2017 Leaf and my inner "treehugger" LOVES driving an electric car.  Last year I got a new job and the commute requires that I charge E-V-E-R-Y day in the winter (the range is good for the other 3 seasons).  Getting home from work an extra hour later, especially when the baby will be ready for bed soon after I get home, is making me very very cranky.  I did start carpooling in Dec and that helps but my week to drive is still very frustrating.

I have 4 main goals for a vehicle at this point: Initial Price, Distance between charge/refuel, Environmental Impact, and Monthly Cost.  The way I see it, to fix my getting home late problem, I have 4 vehicle choices.  Keep my current car, replace current car with used "beater" Prius, replace current car with 2018 Leaf, or replace current car with Used Tesla.  If I assign each of these 4 vehicles a 1-4 ranking for each of these goals, my current car comes in 1st place, followed by the used Prius.  Keeping the current car doesn't fix my issue and replacing it with a Prius (the current Leaf originally replaced my old Prius with over 300k miles on it) feels like a step backwards on the environmental impact goal.  Since the distance between charge/refuel impacts my time with family it should probably be weighted heavier then everything else, which would change these final results.  The environmental impact is also a very important thing for me and I have often made a choice to spend more on an item that has a better environmental impact.   This leads me to look at the other 2 options and a new Leaf is not drastically cheaper than a used Tesla but the range is a pretty big difference.  Now I want a Tesla!

Before anyone suggest it, moving is not currently an option but might be in a few years.

I'm not sure about the math on this, but would the prius prime be a good idea in your situation? Best of my knowledge is that you can charge the electric battery to the fullest and when its empty it goes to regular prius awesomeness. In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how my prius works (more of my husbands area of expertise lol) I just enjoy zipping down the highway in my fuel-efficient awesomeness.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2004 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
New lust...

I'm not sure about the math on this, but would the prius prime be a good idea in your situation? Best of my knowledge is that you can charge the electric battery to the fullest and when its empty it goes to regular prius awesomeness. In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how my prius works (more of my husbands area of expertise lol) I just enjoy zipping down the highway in my fuel-efficient awesomeness.

I haven't thought of the Prime.  It is a nice concept but there are very few used ones available in my area and the EV part has a pretty limited range. I would still end up using the gas engine pretty frequently and it drastically increases the initial cost over the standard used Prius (low inventory) that I was looking at.  So in my opinion it would have similar rankings in all of the categories as the standard Prius (when compared to full EV) but a much higher initial cost, meaning it would be pretty low on the rankings.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2005 on: February 11, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

We purchased a house and want to swap all the lights over to LED globes. I came across smart lights. They are amazing. You can get lights that are not only dimmable but the temperature can be changed too. We rented an apartment with very dim warm bulbs and my sleep improved dramatically, but it was a terrible pain if we wanted to do anything that required task lighting at night. Of course there are other less expensive solutions but none quite as neat.

$60 a globe vs $15 for good quality standard LED globes. It’s a little house without many lights so we’d only need 12 to do the whole house, including some floor lamps.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2006 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Been talking about getting a minvan for various reasons.  I currently drive an all electric fiat and love it but kids are outgrowing the back seat.  Between tax credits (we'd qualify for the full federal and CA state credits), dealer incentives and the value for sale of the fiat would put the out of pocket costs for a new one at ~$25k.  So tempting, yet that's a big chunk of change to part with at once. 

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2007 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

We purchased a house and want to swap all the lights over to LED globes. I came across smart lights. They are amazing. You can get lights that are not only dimmable but the temperature can be changed too. We rented an apartment with very dim warm bulbs and my sleep improved dramatically, but it was a terrible pain if we wanted to do anything that required task lighting at night. Of course there are other less expensive solutions but none quite as neat.

$60 a globe vs $15 for good quality standard LED globes. It’s a little house without many lights so we’d only need 12 to do the whole house, including some floor lamps.

Is getting a smart switch or dimmer an option? Then you can use multiple standard bulbs per switch.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2008 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:35 AM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

Is getting a smart switch or dimmer an option? Then you can use multiple standard bulbs per switch.
From what I can tell most of these need to be wired with limited options available in Australia, it is a job for a professional so would push the price close to the expensive plug and play fancy lights that offer more functionality. I need to look into it more though.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2009 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Been talking about getting a minvan for various reasons.  I currently drive an all electric fiat and love it but kids are outgrowing the back seat.  Between tax credits (we'd qualify for the full federal and CA state credits), dealer incentives and the value for sale of the fiat would put the out of pocket costs for a new one at ~$25k.  So tempting, yet that's a big chunk of change to part with at once.
If it helps, I (and many others) have been less than impressed with the comfort of the seats in the back of Chrysler's vans.  Stow'n'Go is nice, but it requires some sacrifices.

Papa bear

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2010 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
If it helps, I (and many others) have been less than impressed with the comfort of the seats in the back of Chrysler's vans.  Stow'n'Go is nice, but it requires some sacrifices.

I wouldn’t trade my Pacifica for anything else =)

My wife didn’t like T&C backseats for sleeping, but hadn’t had the same complaint with the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan995

• Stubble
« Reply #2011 on: February 16, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »
A quaint family home.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/Sendero/Plan-2/home/147533783?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Currently rent a ‘2.5’ bed for $2800. A $6000 mortgage doesn’t sound all that bad does it !?!

socalteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2012 on: February 17, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
I want a Honda Ridgeline RTL-E and a Hobbie Kayak w/ pedal drive to go in the back of the new truck. I even negotiated an amazing deal for the truck, the lowest I’ve seen anyone get for price paid. I just couldn’t pull the trigger! I have a 15 year old accord that still runs just fine.

Our preschool commitment of$1200/month ends in May so . . . .

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2013 on: February 17, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
A quaint family home.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/Sendero/Plan-2/home/147533783?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Currently rent a ‘2.5’ bed for $2800. A $6000 mortgage doesn’t sound all that bad does it !?!

$1.26M for a fugly semi-snout house...

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2014 on: February 17, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2016 on: February 17, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
A quaint family home.

What's a semi-snout house?
A snout house has a very prominent garage facing the street, often jutting out in front of any other structural feature. The garage is prominent but flush with the front in the linked example, so I'm only giving half credit.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2017 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
A quaint family home.

A snout house has a very prominent garage facing the street, often jutting out in front of any other structural feature. The garage is prominent but flush with the front in the linked example, so I'm only giving half credit.

Hang on a second.

If a "snout house" is a structure with a prominent protrusion from the main building and a"semi-snout" house has no protrusions, that makes nearly every house either a snout house or a semi snout house.  One exception that comes to mind would be the Futuro, which is not likely to be considered any sort of snout house.

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2018 on: February 17, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
A quaint family home.

Hang on a second.

If a "snout house" is a structure with a prominent protrusion from the main building and a"semi-snout" house has no protrusions, that makes nearly every house either a snout house or a semi snout house.  One exception that comes to mind would be the Futuro, which is not likely to be considered any sort of snout house.
Not just any protrusion but a garage (and not just any garage but one that dominates the view of the house from the street).