Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288425 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1950 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
I'm very bored by the car discussion so...

A vegetable sheeter attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. 

Tell me more about your vegetable sheeter attachment, and why it's a stupid thing to be lusting after.

(Also bored by car discussions)  Is it like a vegetable spiralizer, except you get faux lasagna noodles instead of faux spaghetti noodles?

I want a new really nice leather jacket. I got one on clearance 10 years ago and it's wearing out pretty badly in a lot of places. But I'm very used to having a jacket of gorgeous quality leather and I don't want to downgrade :-(

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1951 on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
Shoes again. This pair of shoes that I saw on a young woman the other day. They were so awesome I ended up asking her the brand. Actually, in all honesty, I got a little panicked as I was following her around that I might not be able to ask her what brand they were and that I might lose them forever.  I clearly have issues. Almost $200 shoes though. I know the brand and they last forever but still. This thread is helpful to remind me of the other times I've been lusting after expensive shoes and no longer feel that way. I guess I just need to wait it out....

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1952 on: January 24, 2019, 10:44:47 PM »

Tell me more about your vegetable sheeter attachment, and why it's a stupid thing to be lusting after.

(Also bored by car discussions)  Is it like a vegetable spiralizer, except you get faux lasagna noodles instead of faux spaghetti noodles?

oooh, that hadn't occurred to me. Would it make you make likely to eat more veggies?

I want a new really nice leather jacket. I got one on clearance 10 years ago and it's wearing out pretty badly in a lot of places. But I'm very used to having a jacket of gorgeous quality leather and I don't want to downgrade :-(

That sounds like a tricky one. Yes, a winter jacket is important if you live somewhere it's cold. But, a cheap warm one could fulfil the requirement. But, would a cheap one spark joy and be worn enough to wear it out? (why yes, I have been watching Marie Kondo on Netflix)

Shoes again. This pair of shoes that I saw on a young woman the other day. They were so awesome I ended up asking her the brand. Actually, in all honesty, I got a little panicked as I was following her around that I might not be able to ask her what brand they were and that I might lose them forever.  I clearly have issues. Almost $200 shoes though. I know the brand and they last forever but still. This thread is helpful to remind me of the other times I've been lusting after expensive shoes and no longer feel that way. I guess I just need to wait it out....

I'm intrigued by these awesome shoes. Would they be comfortable? Would you wear them until they wore out? But yes, waiting a while to see if they are just a whim is a useful step.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1953 on: January 24, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »

That sounds like a tricky one. Yes, a winter jacket is important if you live somewhere it's cold. But, a cheap warm one could fulfil the requirement. But, would a cheap one spark joy and be worn enough to wear it out? (why yes, I have been watching Marie Kondo on Netflix)

Yeah, this coat is my main coat that is worn nearly every day for 4-5 months a year. I think it's worked out to <20 cents per day of wear, which is pretty good for a luxury purchase. I'm tempted to buy a new one now since it's the season for coat sales here... I could probably get a similar clearance deal.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1954 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »

Yeah, this coat is my main coat that is worn nearly every day for 4-5 months a year. I think it's worked out to <20 cents per day of wear, which is pretty good for a luxury purchase. I'm tempted to buy a new one now since it's the season for coat sales here... I could probably get a similar clearance deal.

While I don't want to be an enabler (given the type of forum we're on, and the thread we are posting in :p), if you find a jacket that you know you will wear everyday and will work out being a similar-ish amount of money per wear, it probably makes sense to buy one in the sales. You need a winter jacket of some sort.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1955 on: January 25, 2019, 04:18:35 AM »

To me the coat sounds like a good investment. You got 10 years use out of it, you loved it and wanted to wear it year after year. It is worn out not from abuse but from old age. This is what I would suggest. Find a similar coat on sale and buy it. But since you didn't think to save for your next coat 10 years down the road, time to save for the next one. Get an envelope or jar and commit to save enough money to buy the NEXT coat. Like in the old days people used to have a Christmas club. It was a coupon book typically that you would go to the bank each week and deposit a certain amount of money. Let's say your Christmas club was $1,000 each week you would deposit $20. At the end of the year you would collect your $1,000 and buy presents. Nobody does that anymore and that is how they are getting into credit card debt. I used to have an envelope system to save for different things and it worked for me!

Another thought is how bad is the coat your have now? Are the elbows worn out? Could it be patched/fixed if you took it to a leather shop? It might cost more to fix it than to buy new but if the elbows need patching maybe a leather repair person could sew on some matching elbow patches and make it as good as new.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1956 on: January 25, 2019, 06:03:10 AM »

oooh, that hadn't occurred to me. Would it make you make likely to eat more veggies?

Yes.  It will make long, thin sheets of fruits and vegetables.  I've only really seen it used for things like potatoes, apples, and zucchini.  I'm not eating a whole lot of carbs right now, so the potatoes and apples are out, but I do make zucchini lasagna occasionally and this seems to have less potential to slice my hand open than my cheapo mandolin.  I'm wondering if it would do eggplant too.  I love moussaka, but like the lasagna, I don't make it as often as I'd like due to it being a pain.  However, like all Kitchenaid mixer attachments...it's on the expensive side for something that might get used once a month.  Unlike other attachments, I haven't found an alternative that's cheaper.  I was looking at the spiralizer attachment, but I can get a $20-30 countertop model that will do the same thing as the $120 KA version. 

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The FI Engineer
« Reply #1957 on: January 25, 2019, 06:36:15 AM »
For a guitarist, the addiction to new gear is very real, and constant!

This guitar is sort of my white whale, as far as instruments go. I've actually attempted to hunt one down to give it a test run, ready to make a purchase! But no stores in my area stock it. Not making a purchase like this without being able to play it first.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-custom-24-10-top-electric-guitar/j44585000004000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1959 on: January 25, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »
Sugaree there are a few on ebay, here is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-KSMSCA-Stand-Mixer-Vegetable-and-Fruit-Sheet-Cutter-Attachment/254090353996?epid=2219378528&hash=item3b28f71d4c:g:PpAAAOSw2X5bzwyE:rk:9:pf:0

Nice guitar !
My son is an avid musician on a limited budget.  We bought him a pretty sweet Les Paul sunburst for Christmas / birthday and he about feinted.
Huge step up in quality from what he had been working with.

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The FI Engineer
« Reply #1960 on: January 25, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »

Nice guitar !
My son is an avid musician on a limited budget.  We bought him a pretty sweet Les Paul sunburst for Christmas / birthday and he about feinted.
Huge step up in quality from what he had been working with.

Very cool! My parents similarly bought me an SG about 15 years ago, and I cherish that thing to this day. It was my first high quality instrument. I'm sure your son appreciates it!

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1961 on: January 25, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »

This guitar is sort of my white whale, as far as instruments go. I've actually attempted to hunt one down to give it a test run, ready to make a purchase! But no stores in my area stock it. Not making a purchase like this without being able to play it first.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-custom-24-10-top-electric-guitar/j44585000004000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

Another guitarist here, I've been wanting to get another guitar or two for several years.  I'd love a humbucker guitar like a PRS, SG or LP.  They play wonderfully when I hang out at the local Guitar Center (giant US big box music store).  I'd also love a Breedlove acoustic with cutaway and built in pickup, just like the one my buddy picked up for $ 500 US.

Well, back in the real world, I'm just amazed when I see a good guitarist play.  All I think is that "I am not worthy!"  Back to the "wood shed" for practice; no need for another axe!

How do you electric guitarists avoid the expensive temptation of more effects pedals??  I bought modeling software from my computer from IK Media (Amplitube) and it's pretty amazing. I'm sure there are other brands as well that are excellent.

I've got a $25 gift certificate to Guitar Center.  Need to just buy strings, and not even plug in a new guitar...

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1962 on: January 25, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
A 65 inch 4K HDR TV. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I'd have to buy a new TV stand.

ughhghgh

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1963 on: January 25, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
While I don't want to be an enabler (given the type of forum we're on, and the thread we are posting in :p), if you find a jacket that you know you will wear everyday and will work out being a similar-ish amount of money per wear, it probably makes sense to buy one in the sales. You need a winter jacket of some sort.

Yeah... if I didn't hate shopping I probably would have bought one by now :-) But it's so easy to postpone a clothing purchase when you hate shopping. I'm just worried that it's going to proceed from "worn out" to "destroyed" with one little accident/snag and then I have no coat.

But since you didn't think to save for your next coat 10 years down the road, time to save for the next one. Get an envelope or jar and commit to save enough money to buy the NEXT coat.

I never said I didn't have the money, I just don't want to spend it! I have a sinking fund in Mint for those occasional large purchases that come up (e.g. a mattress or laptop). Easier than predicting how long every single thing you own is going to last/cost to replace.

Quote from: Roadrunner53
Another thought is how bad is the coat your have now? Are the elbows worn out? Could it be patched/fixed if you took it to a leather shop?

When I say my coat is worn out, I'm not saying "it's starting to show signs of wear," I'm saying "it has five holes in it." ;-) So far the holes are in places you don't really notice, but it's clear that the leather is giving up the ghost imminently.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1964 on: January 26, 2019, 03:58:40 AM »
Okay guys, help me stay strong.  A 2008 BMW 535xi wagon just showed up at a buy here pay here lot across the street from my office.  It has the M-Sport package and the N54 twin turbo motor and 127,000 miles.  It is guaranteed to be a disaster, but TWIN TURBO WAGON!! How can I resist?

Does it come with a stack of spare HPFPs?

Supposedly that issue is fixed with the latest revision of the pump. Supposedly.  However, the carbon buildup, wastegate rattle, failing injectors, and cracking valve covers are still problems from what I understand. 

Still, TWIN TURBO WAGON!

Whew that is tough. That is a very nice car. Is it black on black?

I love BMW and their handling and the twin turbo. Only reason I am driving a Toyota and Lexus is because I know enough people that have had major headaches with BMW. Generally speaking, it just seems unreliable, and while I love tinkering and working in the garage, I prefer to be able to drive the car more than fixing the car.

It is black on black. A good looking vehicle!

What about a Cadillac CTS V wagon? I’d imagine more reliable?

Maybe, but about 3-4x more expensive. Part of the reason this car is so tempting is that it’s listed for 9,000, and I could probably get it for 7ish. Easy cash purchase. A CTS-V is a 30k car.

If everything else is the same, I would get the BMW. Cadillac is maybe a bit more reliable but not by much, but the driving excitement/fun is a lot higher on the BMW. Again this is my personal opinion, not trying to start a debate BMW vs Caddy.

yikes... it is a black on black car twin turbo wagon that can be purchased with cash, imho that just make the temptation even harder to resist. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1965 on: January 27, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »
Okay guys, help me stay strong.  A 2008 BMW 535xi wagon just showed up at a buy here pay here lot across the street from my office.  It has the M-Sport package and the N54 twin turbo motor and 127,000 miles.  It is guaranteed to be a disaster, but TWIN TURBO WAGON!! How can I resist?

Does it come with a stack of spare HPFPs?

Supposedly that issue is fixed with the latest revision of the pump. Supposedly.  However, the carbon buildup, wastegate rattle, failing injectors, and cracking valve covers are still problems from what I understand. 

Still, TWIN TURBO WAGON!

Whew that is tough. That is a very nice car. Is it black on black?

I love BMW and their handling and the twin turbo. Only reason I am driving a Toyota and Lexus is because I know enough people that have had major headaches with BMW. Generally speaking, it just seems unreliable, and while I love tinkering and working in the garage, I prefer to be able to drive the car more than fixing the car.

It is black on black. A good looking vehicle!

What about a Cadillac CTS V wagon? I’d imagine more reliable?

Maybe, but about 3-4x more expensive. Part of the reason this car is so tempting is that it’s listed for 9,000, and I could probably get it for 7ish. Easy cash purchase. A CTS-V is a 30k car.

If everything else is the same, I would get the BMW. Cadillac is maybe a bit more reliable but not by much, but the driving excitement/fun is a lot higher on the BMW. Again this is my personal opinion, not trying to start a debate BMW vs Caddy.

yikes... it is a black on black car twin turbo wagon that can be purchased with cash, imho that just make the temptation even harder to resist.

Not familiar with the V line?  This is comparing the M5 to the CTS-V, and the M5 is a far superior car to a 335.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/m5/2009/bmw-m5-cadillac-ctsv-comparison/

Yet where it really matters, as a performance sedan, the CTS-V soundly spanks the M5. It's quicker in a straight line, handles better, steers better, even rides better (credit those amazing, multitalented magnetorheological shocks).

That said, $9k is a lot less than $30k :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:40:19 PM by JLee »

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The FI Engineer
« Reply #1966 on: January 27, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

Another guitarist here, I've been wanting to get another guitar or two for several years.  I'd love a humbucker guitar like a PRS, SG or LP.  They play wonderfully when I hang out at the local Guitar Center (giant US big box music store).  I'd also love a Breedlove acoustic with cutaway and built in pickup, just like the one my buddy picked up for $ 500 US.

Well, back in the real world, I'm just amazed when I see a good guitarist play.  All I think is that "I am not worthy!"  Back to the "wood shed" for practice; no need for another axe!

How do you electric guitarists avoid the expensive temptation of more effects pedals??  I bought modeling software from my computer from IK Media (Amplitube) and it's pretty amazing. I'm sure there are other brands as well that are excellent.

I've got a $25 gift certificate to Guitar Center.  Need to just buy strings, and not even plug in a new guitar...

Well, I haven't avoided that temptation very well! I've currently got.....9 pedals on my pedal board, and one more in storage. I mean, I've accumulated those pedals over the course of roughly 16 years. It's all relative, obviously, but even though the gear can be expensive, it's still a much cheaper hobby than going out for drinks every weekend! (Can you tell I'm trying to justify my behavior? Lol)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1967 on: January 28, 2019, 07:53:57 AM »
I want to start riding a bike to the train station four miles away. I tested it on my current bike, and it just won't work. It's a single speed bike, and I live in a hilly area. So now I'm lusting after an ebike. I am going to be saving up over the next few months and look for a deal on a used bike.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1968 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
One Wheel.

https://onewheel.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx9er9OT33wIVx56zCh2FzAIiEAAYASAAEgI4W_D_BwE

My first thought was, "cool!" Then I looked at the price...

While we're on the topic of transportation, has anyone else mentioned the Boosted Board? https://boostedboards.com/ This is what I am lusting over right now. Obviously would need to get the Boosted Stealth, because, you know, only the best.

Saw an article where a guy did a marathon trip from NYC to Philly on a boosted board. I think I would have preferred an ebike for that trip. ;)

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #1969 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:45 AM »
New 'matching' living room furniture. New black stainless steel appliances. New kitchen and bathroom flooring. New outdoor patio. New fence.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1970 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »
I want to start riding a bike to the train station four miles away. I tested it on my current bike, and it just won't work. It's a single speed bike, and I live in a hilly area. So now I'm lusting after an ebike. I am going to be saving up over the next few months and look for a deal on a used bike.

The mustachian solution might be, you know, a bike that you pedal with gears.  :-)

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1971 on: January 28, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
I really want a 2 stage snowblower.  After two rounds of shoveling, I'm tired and there is at least one more round to go.  I'm not sure where we're going to put the snow along the driveway.  It's already shoulder height.

An alternative want would be a house without sidewalks or at least not on a corner lot.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1972 on: January 28, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »

The mustachian solution might be, you know, a bike that you pedal with gears.  :-)

After spending a couple hours in research at work today, I think my best first course of action is to try changing out my rear sprocket (I think that's the right word) to essentially put my bike in a lower gear. I did a rough measure of all the hills I face, and only one had a grade greater than 3%, so a single speed should handle them, even for an out-of-shape person like me.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1973 on: January 28, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »

After spending a couple hours in research at work today, I think my best first course of action is to try changing out my rear sprocket (I think that's the right word) to essentially put my bike in a lower gear. I did a rough measure of all the hills I face, and only one had a grade greater than 3%, so a single speed should handle them, even for an out-of-shape person like me.

Sure, you can change either the front chainring or the rear cog, or both.  The downside with a single speed is that you will be spinning faster all the time, which may slow you down on the flats.  If your commute is short and you're not in a hurry you'll be just fine.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #1974 on: January 29, 2019, 03:15:52 AM »

I was bought a barbour for my birthday, £200, it has now lasted 4 years, I suspect I'll get this again I hope from it.  Buy it for life stuff often costs a bit more but is worth it.  Unless your coat gets nicked.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1975 on: February 04, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
I really really really want these red glitter Doc Martens!
https://www.drmartens.com/us/en/p/24839602

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1976 on: February 04, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »
1. Hiring a contractor to tear up our sunroom floor in order to replace a beam under our sunroom floor, then install tile.  I think I could probably do the demolition, maybe the carpentry, and maybe even the tile.  But then I worry I wouldn’t finish it in one weekend and we’d just have a room with no floor for a week.

2. Hiring a contractor to re-roof the house.  It’s just shingles, right?  But then I worry about gravity, rain, etc.  Oh, and not finishing it up in one weekend. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1977 on: February 04, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
I want three Intel NUC machines to run a Nutanix cluster at home.

I can do lab work at work...and don't remotely need a whole cluster at home. But it'd be so fun!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1978 on: February 04, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »

I succumbed to the lure of a $600 leather jacket on clearance for $107. I ordered it online, so no guarantees that it will fit, but if it does I will be very pleased. :-) Hopefully I'll wear it for another ten years...

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1979 on: February 05, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
My lusting has been focused on high quality "buy it for life" or a really long time, type of items lately.  This is mostly in the clothing area as I have lost like 40-50 lbs and I have always just bought the cheapest thing that fit.  With a plan to maintain the weight loss I want to buy things that I actually like to wear (or "spark joy", yes I have watched the show too) and won't just sit in my closet/dresser forever.

I convinced somebody to buy me some heavy Darn Tough socks to use in the winter for Christmas, I LOVE them. Now I want some lighter weight ones for spring/summer but my very cheap (not frugal) nature does not want to spend $15+ per pair of socks.

I am really annoyed with underwear that fit horribly so I have started researching and there are 3-4 different brands that I want to try out but they run in the $20-$30/pair range.  Again this is outside my normally cheap price range.

The "perfect" weekend shoe.  This consist of something that provides me great support for my horrible feet, while also being easy on/off shoes and keeping my feet warm(ish) in the winter while not being impractical for summer shoes.  In the past I have only bought cheap (<$20) shoes that serve the purpose but are not comfortable, don't last long, and I don't usually really like them. In the last year I have started buying better shoes when I find a really good sale.  My work shoes are Keen, they provide a great fit and are comfortable for my feet, and this winter I finally found some Chaco sandals that were half priced that I love (I have wanted a pair for years but I am cheap). I think I am going to have to send $75-$150 on the "perfect" shoe and my cheap nature is again throwing a huge fit.

High quality pants and shirts can be found at consignment/thrift stores so they don't generally make the "lusting" after list for me.

I am also lusting after organization systems (or kid-free, free time to purge), the kid toys/crap is starting to really bug me.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1980 on: February 05, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
19 honda talon 1000r

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1981 on: February 05, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
Lusting over the same things as last year. So tough to let go of the money! ;)

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1982 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:01 AM »
Not only am I lusting after it, I'm also going to be buying it in the next few months: an aero road bike and aero deep-section wheels for racing only. It's going to cost me close to two thousand dollars, and it will see perhaps 200km a year of road...but a big chunk of that 200km will be in races, where I strongly suspect it'll gain me at least a minute per 20km. Does it make sense that I'd spend that much on such small gains? To me, yes. I intend to try to qualify for the world duathlon championships when I retire, and that minute could well be the difference.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1983 on: February 08, 2019, 05:55:45 AM »
I have to replace the spare tire carrier on my Jeep.  The OEM part is like $165.  The super cool bumper/carrier combo is closer to $600.  I want to replace the bumper eventually, but I hadn't had time to save up the money for it and I don't really want this extra stuff to come out of the "car repair" budget. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1984 on: February 08, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »
Still lusting after really nice cross country skis. I have a backcountry set up, but sometime it is nice to take something lighter and quicker onto low angle forest service roads and groomed tracks. Seems silly to spend the money in February! So I'll probably keep lusting until next winter.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #1985 on: February 08, 2019, 08:14:34 AM »
Starting to see winter merchandise clearance sales in our local sports stores so when they hit your area you might be able to snag a pair that way.  Or a second hand sports store might be getting a bunch in as people get rid of stuff from Christmas/New Year's Resolution purchases that they decide they don't want after all.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1986 on: February 08, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
My lusting has been focused on high quality "buy it for life" or a really long time, type of items lately.  This is mostly in the clothing area as I have lost like 40-50 lbs and I have always just bought the cheapest thing that fit.  With a plan to maintain the weight loss I want to buy things that I actually like to wear (or "spark joy", yes I have watched the show too) and won't just sit in my closet/dresser forever.

I convinced somebody to buy me some heavy Darn Tough socks to use in the winter for Christmas, I LOVE them. Now I want some lighter weight ones for spring/summer but my very cheap (not frugal) nature does not want to spend $15+ per pair of socks.

I am really annoyed with underwear that fit horribly so I have started researching and there are 3-4 different brands that I want to try out but they run in the $20-$30/pair range.  Again this is outside my normally cheap price range.

The "perfect" weekend shoe.  This consist of something that provides me great support for my horrible feet, while also being easy on/off shoes and keeping my feet warm(ish) in the winter while not being impractical for summer shoes.  In the past I have only bought cheap (&lt;$20) shoes that serve the purpose but are not comfortable, don't last long, and I don't usually really like them. In the last year I have started buying better shoes when I find a really good sale.  My work shoes are Keen, they provide a great fit and are comfortable for my feet, and this winter I finally found some Chaco sandals that were half priced that I love (I have wanted a pair for years but I am cheap). I think I am going to have to send $75-$150 on the "perfect" shoe and my cheap nature is again throwing a huge fit.

I like your BIFL mentality. But I will add, definitely don’t cheap out in shoes. Get ones that fit, are comfortable and won’t do damage particularly if you have any feet issues.

I have a mix of cheap and expensive shoes in my wardrobe, it all depends what works for my feet. My expensive sneakers (2 pairs) have lasted 7 years of walking. Etc

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1987 on: February 08, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
ETA, I don't know if I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a couple years of lusting after a beautiful (diamond) ring. And, this year did it (3 stone ring symbolizing me and my two kids). And, for many reasons by the time I got the ring it's just not me and I don't wear it. It's an expensive lesson learned. It wasn't until I "scratched" that itch, I realized I didn't have that itch anymore. While I may sell it, more likely will hold onto it and re-purpose the stones for some other project. 

New lusts:
a) renovating main bathroom to walk in shower and dedicated area for washer and dryer (versus in my bedroom). Pretty sure this is going to happen.

b) a really nice trip. I keep researching trips, but then gak at the price, and move on with life. I just had so many big expenses these past few years (divorce costs and fees and subsequent division of assets, replacing furnace and ac, braces for youngest (after completing braces for oldest), and remodeling kitchen), I need to have one relatively sane year. I did buy tickets to visit my family. I did spend a little more in case I need to change dates, as my older brother is seriously ill, and we all don't know how much time he has.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:38:37 PM by partgypsy »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1988 on: February 10, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
Another trip.  Which is only stupid because I haven't been on my next trip yet (Sweden and Finland in April/May), and I'm directing money to eventually build on my property.  But, I want another trip so bad!  I'm hoping I'll be more settled about it after I get back from the next one, at least for a year or so.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #1989 on: February 10, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »
Sonos speaker set

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1990 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
New lust...

I currently drive a 2017 Leaf and my inner "treehugger" LOVES driving an electric car.  Last year I got a new job and the commute requires that I charge E-V-E-R-Y day in the winter (the range is good for the other 3 seasons).  Getting home from work an extra hour later, especially when the baby will be ready for bed soon after I get home, is making me very very cranky.  I did start carpooling in Dec and that helps but my week to drive is still very frustrating.

I have 4 main goals for a vehicle at this point: Initial Price, Distance between charge/refuel, Environmental Impact, and Monthly Cost.  The way I see it, to fix my getting home late problem, I have 4 vehicle choices.  Keep my current car, replace current car with used "beater" Prius, replace current car with 2018 Leaf, or replace current car with Used Tesla.  If I assign each of these 4 vehicles a 1-4 ranking for each of these goals, my current car comes in 1st place, followed by the used Prius.  Keeping the current car doesn't fix my issue and replacing it with a Prius (the current Leaf originally replaced my old Prius with over 300k miles on it) feels like a step backwards on the environmental impact goal.  Since the distance between charge/refuel impacts my time with family it should probably be weighted heavier then everything else, which would change these final results.  The environmental impact is also a very important thing for me and I have often made a choice to spend more on an item that has a better environmental impact.   This leads me to look at the other 2 options and a new Leaf is not drastically cheaper than a used Tesla but the range is a pretty big difference.  Now I want a Tesla!

Before anyone suggest it, moving is not currently an option but might be in a few years.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #1991 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
BMW M2 competition

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1992 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
New lust...

I currently drive a 2017 Leaf and my inner "treehugger" LOVES driving an electric car.  Last year I got a new job and the commute requires that I charge E-V-E-R-Y day in the winter (the range is good for the other 3 seasons).  Getting home from work an extra hour later, especially when the baby will be ready for bed soon after I get home, is making me very very cranky.  I did start carpooling in Dec and that helps but my week to drive is still very frustrating.

I have 4 main goals for a vehicle at this point: Initial Price, Distance between charge/refuel, Environmental Impact, and Monthly Cost.  The way I see it, to fix my getting home late problem, I have 4 vehicle choices.  Keep my current car, replace current car with used "beater" Prius, replace current car with 2018 Leaf, or replace current car with Used Tesla.  If I assign each of these 4 vehicles a 1-4 ranking for each of these goals, my current car comes in 1st place, followed by the used Prius.  Keeping the current car doesn't fix my issue and replacing it with a Prius (the current Leaf originally replaced my old Prius with over 300k miles on it) feels like a step backwards on the environmental impact goal.  Since the distance between charge/refuel impacts my time with family it should probably be weighted heavier then everything else, which would change these final results.  The environmental impact is also a very important thing for me and I have often made a choice to spend more on an item that has a better environmental impact.   This leads me to look at the other 2 options and a new Leaf is not drastically cheaper than a used Tesla but the range is a pretty big difference.  Now I want a Tesla!

Before anyone suggest it, moving is not currently an option but might be in a few years.

I'm not sure about the math on this, but would the prius prime be a good idea in your situation? Best of my knowledge is that you can charge the electric battery to the fullest and when its empty it goes to regular prius awesomeness. In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how my prius works (more of my husbands area of expertise lol) I just enjoy zipping down the highway in my fuel-efficient awesomeness.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1993 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
New lust...

I'm not sure about the math on this, but would the prius prime be a good idea in your situation? Best of my knowledge is that you can charge the electric battery to the fullest and when its empty it goes to regular prius awesomeness. In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how my prius works (more of my husbands area of expertise lol) I just enjoy zipping down the highway in my fuel-efficient awesomeness.

I haven't thought of the Prime.  It is a nice concept but there are very few used ones available in my area and the EV part has a pretty limited range. I would still end up using the gas engine pretty frequently and it drastically increases the initial cost over the standard used Prius (low inventory) that I was looking at.  So in my opinion it would have similar rankings in all of the categories as the standard Prius (when compared to full EV) but a much higher initial cost, meaning it would be pretty low on the rankings.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1994 on: February 11, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

We purchased a house and want to swap all the lights over to LED globes. I came across smart lights. They are amazing. You can get lights that are not only dimmable but the temperature can be changed too. We rented an apartment with very dim warm bulbs and my sleep improved dramatically, but it was a terrible pain if we wanted to do anything that required task lighting at night. Of course there are other less expensive solutions but none quite as neat.

$60 a globe vs $15 for good quality standard LED globes. It’s a little house without many lights so we’d only need 12 to do the whole house, including some floor lamps.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1995 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Been talking about getting a minvan for various reasons.  I currently drive an all electric fiat and love it but kids are outgrowing the back seat.  Between tax credits (we'd qualify for the full federal and CA state credits), dealer incentives and the value for sale of the fiat would put the out of pocket costs for a new one at ~$25k.  So tempting, yet that's a big chunk of change to part with at once. 

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1996 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

We purchased a house and want to swap all the lights over to LED globes. I came across smart lights. They are amazing. You can get lights that are not only dimmable but the temperature can be changed too. We rented an apartment with very dim warm bulbs and my sleep improved dramatically, but it was a terrible pain if we wanted to do anything that required task lighting at night. Of course there are other less expensive solutions but none quite as neat.

$60 a globe vs $15 for good quality standard LED globes. It’s a little house without many lights so we’d only need 12 to do the whole house, including some floor lamps.

Is getting a smart switch or dimmer an option? Then you can use multiple standard bulbs per switch.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1997 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:35 AM »
Smart LED light bulbs.

Is getting a smart switch or dimmer an option? Then you can use multiple standard bulbs per switch.
From what I can tell most of these need to be wired with limited options available in Australia, it is a job for a professional so would push the price close to the expensive plug and play fancy lights that offer more functionality. I need to look into it more though.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1998 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Been talking about getting a minvan for various reasons.  I currently drive an all electric fiat and love it but kids are outgrowing the back seat.  Between tax credits (we'd qualify for the full federal and CA state credits), dealer incentives and the value for sale of the fiat would put the out of pocket costs for a new one at ~$25k.  So tempting, yet that's a big chunk of change to part with at once.
If it helps, I (and many others) have been less than impressed with the comfort of the seats in the back of Chrysler's vans.  Stow'n'Go is nice, but it requires some sacrifices.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1999 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
If it helps, I (and many others) have been less than impressed with the comfort of the seats in the back of Chrysler's vans.  Stow'n'Go is nice, but it requires some sacrifices.

I wouldn’t trade my Pacifica for anything else =)

My wife didn’t like T&amp;C backseats for sleeping, but hadn’t had the same complaint with the Pacifica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!