Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287948 times)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1850 on: December 24, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the finish looks kind of plastic-y.

Horsehide tends to be much denser than steerhide, and shinier.  But it's what was used in the original jackets, and is much more durable.  Yes, you're absolutely right regarding durable wearables -- the problem is they may only fit for so long even if they last decades.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:33:10 PM by dustinst22 »

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1851 on: December 24, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »
A hair appliance that's nearly $200. In my defense, this one item would replace three existing items that I have. I've been wanting one for many months now, and the want hasn't faded. I'll have saved enough for it within the next couple of weeks, so I may just go for it.

OnwardandUpward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1852 on: December 25, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »
ECM Mechanika espresso machine. $1849. Have a $600 Breville now which has saved me serious coffee shop cash. Can't imagine that the ECM would make that three times better but doesn't stop me from hitting the Clive Coffee link couple times/week and seeing if the price has come down haha

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1853 on: December 26, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
ECM Mechanika espresso machine. $1849. Have a $600 Breville now which has saved me serious coffee shop cash. Can't imagine that the ECM would make that three times better but doesn't stop me from hitting the Clive Coffee link couple times/week and seeing if the price has come down haha

Hey, only $1749 on WholeLatteLove.  I had to Google it, as I've gone through some serious espresso machine lust too.  Now I realize that something that beautiful would just make the rest of my kitchen look shitty by comparison, and that would be depressing.

I did finally purchase the Breville Smart Oven Air after getting some gift cards from the inlaws that covered about half of it, and catching it when the price was $319 instead of $399.  I delayed for well over a year and still really wanted it, so definitely not an impulse buy, and I expect to get a lot of use out of it.

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1854 on: December 26, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
I have a '12 Toyota Camry SE. It's running great with 116k miles on it. It's paid off. I hope it last until 200k miles without any major problem.

So, I'm not interested in any "new" car. But then about couple months ago, I saw a lady at work pulled up on a brand new 2018 Camry SE aqua galactic blue. It made my eye popped and I'm thinking to get it ever since.

I check out the net and saw one with 1,200 miles on it for for $22,900. I have an adopted brother working at that dealership as a General Sale manager said he can cut me a good deal with my trade in, for about 13k.

I talked to my wife how I really like this new Camry. She said, "why would you want any payment on a car when nothing wrong your car!". Case closed.

If I'm to buy the car. It's the ONLY payment I have to pay in term of financial debt. I can actually pay it off in cash if I don't want to have the payment. But ever since I stumbled upon this board, I became cheapER.

So there, that's my stupid lusting desires right now.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1855 on: December 26, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
I have a '12 Toyota Camry SE. It's running great with 116k miles on it. It's paid off. I hope it last until 200k miles without any major problem.

So, I'm not interested in any "new" car. But then about couple months ago, I saw a lady at work pulled up on a brand new 2018 Camry SE aqua galactic blue. It made my eye popped and I'm thinking to get it ever since.

I check out the net and saw one with 1,200 miles on it for for $22,900. I have an adopted brother working at that dealership as a General Sale manager said he can cut me a good deal with my trade in, for about 13k.

I talked to my wife how I really like this new Camry. She said, "why would you want any payment on a car when nothing wrong your car!". Case closed.

If I'm to buy the car. It's the ONLY payment I have to pay in term of financial debt. I can actually pay it off in cash if I don't want to have the payment. But ever since I stumbled upon this board, I became cheapER.

I feel your pain! I have a 2009 Honda CRV. It only has 23K on it. When I bought it new I only worked 5 miles from work, then got laid off two years later and never worked again. Now retired and don't drive much. However the vehicle is going to be 10 years old! I would like to have a car with some newer technology in it but cannot justify buying a new car with the low mileage on mine! The car will rust and fall apart before I put 50,000 miles on it! I am tempted to trade it in while it still has some value. If you can get $13K for your car and only owe $9,900 not too bad to upgrade 6 years. Rather than spend money from you stash, can you sell some stuff you have or get a part time job to apply to pay off the car? Get a loan, sell stuff and get a part time job and pay off the loan quick. Just a thought!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1856 on: December 26, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »

I feel your pain! I have a 2009 Honda CRV. It only has 23K on it. When I bought it new I only worked 5 miles from work, then got laid off two years later and never worked again. Now retired and don't drive much. However the vehicle is going to be 10 years old! I would like to have a car with some newer technology in it but cannot justify buying a new car with the low mileage on mine! The car will rust and fall apart before I put 50,000 miles on it! I am tempted to trade it in while it still has some value. If you can get $13K for your car and only owe $9,900 not too bad to upgrade 6 years. Rather than spend money from you stash, can you sell some stuff you have or get a part time job to apply to pay off the car? Get a loan, sell stuff and get a part time job and pay off the loan quick. Just a thought!

And exchange depreciation on a 10yo car for depreciation on a newer car?  I don't think that math will work out as well as you think!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1857 on: December 26, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »

And exchange depreciation on a 10yo car for depreciation on a newer car?  I don't think that math will work out as well as you think!

JLee, can you explain more what you mean. I actually don't get what you are trying to say.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1858 on: December 26, 2018, 04:26:04 PM »

Are the lesser cost versions vastly inferior? Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aviator-A-2-Flight-Jacket-Distressed-Brown-Real-Leather-Bomber-Jacket/183578713107?hash=item2abe24dc13:m:mxtpnSaWLi4Jh6veNbrKa2A:rk:1:pf:0

Yes, in every way -- the leather quality on this is total crap.  This is essentially a disposable jacket.  High quality leather, unfortunately, one has to pay for it.  Whenever I have the itch for something like this, I try to fund it with "additional" income like tradeline sales or cc churning.  We'll see if the desire is still there in a year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:33:58 PM by dustinst22 »

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1859 on: December 27, 2018, 12:22:53 AM »

If you do this every 6 years you're adding between 1600-1700 annually to your budget. I world guess that insurance is higher by a few hundred a year if not more. Call it 2000 a year total more in spending every year. You need an extra $50,000 stashed to retire in that case. Still seem worth it?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1860 on: December 27, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »

JLee, can you explain more what you mean. I actually don't get what you are trying to say.

Cars depreciate more in their first few years than the later ones. A 2018 Camry will lose a larger percentage of its value in the next year than your current 2012 model.

And let’s be honest. It’s a Camry. It’s not going to be the most exciting thing in the world. Is the 2018 really going to be THAT much better than your 2012? People buy Toyotas because they last forever, if you ditch it early your not using that capability. It’s like getting a sports car and never taking it to the track, or getting a dually pickup and never towing with it!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1861 on: December 28, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »

If you have a car that's worth $6k now, you have a total of $6k to lose over the life of the vehicle.  Let's say you trade it in while it's still worth $6k, instead of waiting four more years (let's say it's worth $4k then, at approx 10%/yr depreciation).

Let's say you take advantage of this extra $2k in value and buy a $20k car today, which depreciates at approximately the same rate (10%/year). In four years, your $20,000 car will be worth approximately $13k, or $7k in depreciation.

You get $2k extra out of your first car, but instead of losing that $2k to depreciation over the next four years, you lose $7k from the new car.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1862 on: December 29, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Got 2 stupid things that I can't stop thinking about now...

- Really want a pair of click stop zoom eyepieces for my telescope binoviewer.  I know I really won't get the use out of them for the $500 price tag and will ultimately be disappointed.  The desire however is still there.

- Been seeing the increase in sketches and rumors of the possible MKIV Toyota MR2.  Sounds like it may actually happen in another couple years.  With as hard as it is getting to find parts for my MKII, I'm extremely interested even though I may not even need *any* cars by the current guesstimate of a release date in 2021...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1863 on: December 29, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
A finished basement. Our house is already over 3400 sq ft, and the basement would cost us about $15k. But it sure would be nice to move the home theater equipment out of our master bedroom, and it would be nice to have another bathroom and bedroom for guests, and the idea of a 300 sq ft basement workshop is so tempting....

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1864 on: December 29, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
A finished basement. Our house is already over 3400 sq ft, and the basement would cost us about $15k. But it sure would be nice to move the home theater equipment out of our master bedroom, and it would be nice to have another bathroom and bedroom for guests, and the idea of a 300 sq ft basement workshop is so tempting....

My landlord is finishing our basement right now and I'm taking the opportunity to run ethernet, speaker wire, and HDMI cables everywhere I want them...he is basically letting me do anything I want before the walls go up.

Now I want an LG ultra short throw laser 4k projector..lol

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #1865 on: December 29, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »
Nothing. That's what I'm thinking that I want. For the past few months I've had some extra money in my pocket ($100-$300) and a bit of an urge to buy myself something.

But I don't really want anything and I don't feel like shopping for anything. I've thought a bit about a new laptop. My old Lenovo is kind of slow, but I hardly ever use it. I use my cheap Chromebook most of the time. Actually I use my cheap Android phablet for internet most of time, so I probably would end up not using the laptop that much anyways.

I've been browsing newer old cars (10 years old or so) to think about what vehicle I might want next. I have a 2001 Subaru that I have had for 11 years. It has a terrible paint job and a tricky transmission (been like that for 8 years now). I have cash on hand for the next car. I only drive my car about 2000 miles a year (ride bike to work most days) so it seems stupid to buy another vehicle to only use it that little. My car is only worth maybe about $1000 to sell it so I may as well just drive it for a few more years.

I do the "You know you're in Colorado when you have a $3000 bike and a $500 car." (I have a titanium Salsa Vaya touring bike, custom built with Shimano XT parts, etc, that I ride to work.)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1866 on: December 29, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »

I mean, sure, I'd do all the framing, electrical, plumbing, doors, tile, and trim myself (which is why it's not $30k) and I'm pretty sure I'd get my money back when we sell the house, but I'm really fighting the urge.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1867 on: December 30, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
I am not actually lusting any longer for this but since I was a kid I always loved the water, swimming and swimming pools. I always wanted a pool but we resisted doing that our entire marriage. It is probably the one thing that I lusted over my entire life but never got it. It would have been a lot of work for my husband and he was already working a lot of OT, doing yard work and helping my Mother with her yard work after my Father died.

Then I think about our neighbor who put in an above ground pool for his two boys who were the perfect age for a swimming pool. They never used it. The neighbor took care of the pool for years and his wife and kids never used it and doubtful he did either! Eventually he tore it down...

I see so many pools in the summer just sitting there unused. I wonder if people regret getting them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1868 on: December 30, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
I am not actually lusting any longer for this but since I was a kid I always loved the water, swimming and swimming pools. I always wanted a pool but we resisted doing that our entire marriage. It is probably the one thing that I lusted over my entire life but never got it. It would have been a lot of work for my husband and he was already working a lot of OT, doing yard work and helping my Mother with her yard work after my Father died.

Then I think about our neighbor who put in an above ground pool for his two boys who were the perfect age for a swimming pool. They never used it. The neighbor took care of the pool for years and his wife and kids never used it and doubtful he did either! Eventually he tore it down...

I see so many pools in the summer just sitting there unused. I wonder if people regret getting them.

My last house came with an in-ground diving pool. It was awesome for parties, but I really didn't use it enough to justify the cost of maintaining it. If I buy another house I will likely try to avoid pools.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1869 on: January 04, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
A very expensive French market basket. I so don't need it, but I waaant it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1870 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:00 PM »

In a really hot climate it might be nice.  Friends in Central Valley, CA have a beautiful pool they and their kids use all the time, and have great pool party/BBQs.  When we were house shopping here (Idaho), we looked at two with pools and it seemed like it would just be a huge energy (human and electricity) drain, cost way too much, and they took up too much of the yard space for something we might use 2-3 months a year.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1871 on: January 05, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
not really a stupid thing, but I'm lusting after the ability to have an income that could support buying my own house, so I could end the 10 year streak of roommates and renting. I live in a very HCOL area, so it won't happen here...but I dream about the day when I have my own place, can have as many dogs as I want, and no roommates!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1872 on: January 06, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
Thru-hiking gear! Of the ultra-light variety.

SO and I are planning our AT thru-hike, which won't be until 2021-2022. We need to do a bunch of short and overnight shakeout hikes and camping trips with our intended gear before committing to it for 6-7 months.

The list I compiled totals ~$4k!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1873 on: January 06, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
For about 3-4 Hours this morning I was actually justifying buying a house on a lake near us. Then I slapped myself and woke up. All good again!

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1874 on: January 06, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
A kitchenaid mixer.

Its large, expensive, wouldn't fit on our countertops, I would hardly have a use for it, and I already have a mixer.

But its just so beautiful...

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1875 on: January 06, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
A kitchenaid mixer.

Its large, expensive, wouldn't fit on our countertops, I would hardly have a use for it, and I already have a mixer.

DH bought me one for Xmas once years ago. I thought about having to store that thing, and how little I’d probably use it, and promptly returned it. Got a really nice hand mixer instead. No regrets.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1876 on: January 07, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »
A kitchenaid mixer.

DH bought me one for Xmas once years ago. I thought about having to store that thing, and how little I’d probably use it, and promptly returned it. Got a really nice hand mixer instead. No regrets.

I got a Kitchenaid for a wedding present, used it once before the limited warranty expired, and then it promptly became useless for everything besides meringues.  I have no idea why, but the motor doesn't work right anymore - it struggles and makes weird noises and kind of thumps around as soon as you add flour to anything.  I mean, really, if my 15 year old WalMart hand mixer can make chocolate chip cookies, my Kitchenaid should REALLY be able to.  I've done the easy "fixes" where you take apart the neck and adjust the pin and whatnot, but I have no skills for motor repair or diagnosis.  The closest place that does repairs is an hour away, though, and I'm not sure I care enough to drive that far and pay someone to fix it. 

So maybe I'm lusting after an older model Kitchenaid that actually works?  My mom's is 20 years old and going strong. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1877 on: January 07, 2019, 06:56:42 AM »
A kitchenaid mixer.

I got a Kitchenaid for a wedding present, used it once before the limited warranty expired, and then it promptly became useless for everything besides meringues.  I have no idea why, but the motor doesn't work right anymore - it struggles and makes weird noises and kind of thumps around as soon as you add flour to anything.  I mean, really, if my 15 year old WalMart hand mixer can make chocolate chip cookies, my Kitchenaid should REALLY be able to.  I've done the easy "fixes" where you take apart the neck and adjust the pin and whatnot, but I have no skills for motor repair or diagnosis.  The closest place that does repairs is an hour away, though, and I'm not sure I care enough to drive that far and pay someone to fix it. 

So maybe I'm lusting after an older model Kitchenaid that actually works?  My mom's is 20 years old and going strong.

One suggestion is to go to the Kitchenaid website and do a chat session to see if you can mail your unit to them for repair. https://www.kitchenaid.com/service-and-support.html

I have a Vita Mix that had motor issues and I was able to mail it to the company and they refurbished it for a pretty decent price. All I had to do was mail it to them and didn't have to drive anywhere except to the post office.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1878 on: January 07, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »
A kitchenaid mixer.

One suggestion is to go to the Kitchenaid website and do a chat session to see if you can mail your unit to them for repair. https://www.kitchenaid.com/service-and-support.html

I have a Vita Mix that had motor issues and I was able to mail it to the company and they refurbished it for a pretty decent price. All I had to do was mail it to them and didn't have to drive anywhere except to the post office.

I didn't know that might be an option - thanks!  I'll definitely look into it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1879 on: January 07, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
I'm STILL lusting after a detached garage after a year of thinking about it. Looks like a ~$30K project plus another ~$2500 for a lift.

I plan to DIY some of it but need guidance on digging footers or instead just hire out the concrete work. I'm probably overthinking it all.

At this point in time I think I'll proceed with the project in the spring. I can do it all out of pocket. The family is 125% supportive.

In about a week or so I'll reconsider and wonder if we should just move in a few years when the youngest is done with the school nearest our house.

Move some place closer to work (other side of town basically) and THEN build a detached garage for my hobbies.

About a week later I'll be thinking build a garage here and then sell out later and move across town anyhow.

I guess I just need a moment of spendypants oblivion to get the project rolling.

If I may, I'd like to suggest a visit to Grassroots Motorsports Forum.  They have recently documented building/organizing a back yard garage.  Latest installment is about installing the lift.

Thank you!!!

Recent developments: looks like the garage cost is lower than I expected. Also, want an electric car for DW and my carpool commuter. The stupid truth: we don't need another car. In fact I need to sell a couple. There will be no electric cars in our near future. The current cars should last us decades.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1880 on: January 07, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
In the current environment the stupidest thing I may be lusting after may be FIRE itself.    My heart says FIRE, FIRE, FIRE.   My right brain tells me to chill and wait till 2020.

Don't you have like two million dollars? I think your heart is right.

I still want a pair of electric bikes.  They are expensive.  It's the desire to buy and not just actually buying that can make one postpone FIRE.

They must be pretty expensive indeed. Are they on this list?
https://lazypenguins.com/worlds-most-expensive-electric-bikes/

I bought a Jueshuai "mountain bike" e-bike last summer for my family that cost roughly a grand. Went back to grab the link to recommend it to this thread and the darn thing has jumped to $3500. Its a nice bike. I really like it. It ain't $3600 nice though...  We made a commuter bike out of it and it does fine. WAY cheaper to buy a 500W rear hub motor kit and adapt a bicycle compared to the new price.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1881 on: January 11, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
A Philips Soup Maker sold on QVC for $129.99 and almost $13 to ship it.

I love soup and I know I can make it in a pot but this thing seems 'magical'.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #1882 on: January 11, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
I'm talking myself out of buying a van to turn into a camper. Not even a big one, but one of the smaller vans on the market. I'd get a used one for around $10k and sell my car for $2k.

Of course I'd only use it once a year, and my insurance would go up significantly, plus my car is super reliable and gets great fuel mileage.

Holding off for now...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1883 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
A Philips Soup Maker sold on QVC for $129.99 and almost $13 to ship it.

I love soup and I know I can make it in a pot but this thing seems 'magical'.

I looked this up because I was baffled at what a soup maker even is, and it's cheaper at Williams Sonoma ($129.95, free shipping). Which should tell you it is a terrible deal because everything there is overpriced. :-P

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1884 on: January 12, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »
- Been seeing the increase in sketches and rumors of the possible MKIV Toyota MR2.  Sounds like it may actually happen in another couple years.  With as hard as it is getting to find parts for my MKII, I'm extremely interested even though I may not even need *any* cars by the current guesstimate of a release date in 2021...

Lucky you that is a few years away. I have been a big fan of Supra... well they are going to start selling the new model in a few months.

I love MR2 as well. A coworker had one with the removeable roof version. That was very cool.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1885 on: January 12, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »

Lucky you that is a few years away. I have been a big fan of Supra... well they are going to start selling the new model in a few months.

I love MR2 as well. A coworker had one with the removeable roof version. That was very cool.

I have been a huge Supra fan for over 20 years. I've owned two (a 1987 and 1991), including my first car. The new Supra is a big ball of meh. The previous Supras were comparable to Porsche 911s and base model Ferraris. The new one is a class down in performance (and size) but they are still charging roughly same (adjusted for inflation). And now that it has BMW underpinnings you can't have the same hopes for low operating costs.

It's too bad that Toyota has been underpowering their sports cars since the last Supra. A measly 138 hp for the MR2 Spyder, really?! Only 200 hp for the 86? They could do so much better but they haven't made it a priority and now no one will associate performance cars with Toyota. If a new MR2 comes out I'm not holding my breath for reclaimed glory.

Hurley82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1886 on: January 13, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
Really want to get the new Wrangler based truck. Jeep Gladiator.
Currently drive a volt I bought for dirt cheap and wife has an old Volvo xc 70. I had a Wrangler years ago that I bought for $21k, drove it for 5 years and 50k miles and sold it for $20k. The volt is just so damn economical. Gassing up every 4-5 months is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:30:31 PM by Hurley82 »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1887 on: January 13, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
...The volt is just so damn economical. Gassing up every 4-5 months is pretty nice.

That sounds awesome! How much driving per day do you do on average?

Hurley82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1888 on: January 13, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
...The volt is just so damn economical. Gassing up every 4-5 months is pretty nice.

That sounds awesome! How much driving per day do you do on average?

I drive between 20-30 miles a day. So 99% of the time my commute is full electric. In the winter if it's below 25° it will automatically burn 1/10 of a gallon keeping the battery warm. Last year I used 12 gallons.

The bonus is up until last year or so Colorado offered rebates on used electric as long as the car was new to Colorado. Paid $10K  with 55k miles and a little warranty left... got back $1800 from the state.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1889 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »
Really want a McLaren 540C but at $350,000 AUD it's not very frugal.

I've decided I'll buy a second hand one in a few years for maybe $200k if I meet my investment/savings goals.

I think if I add up all the money I save from various little hacks and tax tweaks (not the principal savings for FIRE, but just little hacks and loopholes here and there) over the years it'll probably pay for the car. Anyway, as a little trophy of accomplishment I think it's worth it.

Jeblers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1890 on: January 13, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
Won $2300 in the fantasy football this year, in the only played 1 league this year. I will stash $300 to the side for next years fees.

I don't buy much for myself anymore so I think I will probably blow this on some upgrades around the house. Really want an OLED but I will probably wait for prices to drop and the tech to mature a bit, but they are really gorgeous TV's. Instead I am looking at few other things:
  • A Weber BBQ
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones
  • Philips Hue lights
  • A New Vacuum

Nothing really crazy except, a BBQ and Vacuum are needed, I have some gift cards for the local BBQ place from Christmas. The headphones, Nvidia Shield & Philips smart hue are definitely wants and premium products but oh well. Like I said, I don't spend too much on myself anymore.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1891 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:31 AM »
Won $2300 in the fantasy football this year, in the only played 1 league this year. I will stash $300 to the side for next years fees.

I don't buy much for myself anymore so I think I will probably blow this on some upgrades around the house. Really want an OLED but I will probably wait for prices to drop and the tech to mature a bit, but they are really gorgeous TV's. Instead I am looking at few other things:
  • A Weber BBQ
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones
  • Philips Hue lights
  • A New Vacuum

Nothing really crazy except, a BBQ and Vacuum are needed, I have some gift cards for the local BBQ place from Christmas. The headphones, Nvidia Shield & Philips smart hue are definitely wants and premium products but oh well. Like I said, I don't spend too much on myself anymore.

The Nvidia Shield TV is the best buy I have done in 2015 :). Amazon prime day normally sells it at 25% off the price..Maybe wait till July.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1892 on: January 14, 2019, 06:52:39 AM »

I've decided I'll buy a second hand one in a few years for maybe $200k if I meet my investment/savings goals.

I think if I add up all the money I save from various little hacks and tax tweaks (not the principal savings for FIRE, but just little hacks and loopholes here and there) over the years it'll probably pay for the car. Anyway, as a little trophy of accomplishment I think it's worth it.

I love McLarens but I hate that you can't really do any service on them yourself. And with the cost of parts/labor on them you really really do not want to own one out of warranty. Much more so than an equivalent Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1893 on: January 14, 2019, 07:18:42 AM »

I love McLarens but I hate that you can't really do any service on them yourself. And with the cost of parts/labor on them you really really do not want to own one out of warranty. Much more so than an equivalent Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Yeah, the servicing will no doubt be a pain, but my vehicles are always "work vehicles" (due to the way taxation law works in Australia) so the servicing will at least be deductible. In terms of the warranty, Australia has consumer legislation which gives us quite strong statutory protection, over and above the manufacturer's warranty. As far as I know, no one has taken one of the luxury manufacturers to task under this legislation, but if it came down to it, I wouldn't mind being the first (esp as product litigation is my area of work anyway).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1894 on: January 14, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
In the current environment the stupidest thing I may be lusting after may be FIRE itself.    My heart says FIRE, FIRE, FIRE.   My right brain tells me to chill and wait till 2020.

Don't you have like two million dollars? I think your heart is right.

I still want a pair of electric bikes.  They are expensive.  It's the desire to buy and not just actually buying that can make one postpone FIRE.

Hey i looked this morn - that Jueshuai electric bike I mentioned went to nearly $4K and then dropped back to nearly $1K. Now I suppose they can tell the world it is something like 75% off now... Good bike at the normal price point - just adapt with fenders and commuter details for general purpose riding. It isn't really a mtn bike. 

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1895 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »

LOL, wtf are you doing here?

Also, the whole idea of rewarding yourself for saving by splurging is pretty self-destructive.  You're coupling your successes with built-in failures. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1896 on: January 14, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »

Also, the whole idea of rewarding yourself for saving by splurging is pretty self-destructive.  You're coupling your successes with built-in failures.
While I agree that lusting after a McLaren is facepunch-worthy, I'm not sure if I agree 100% with the second part (about saving and splurging).  After all, what is ER if not the biggest splurge of all? :)

I highly doubt the purchase of a McLaren (plus the expensive upkeep and depreciation) is the most efficient dollars-to-happiness allocation when compared to all the alternatives out there.

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1897 on: January 14, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »
The responsibility and worry of maintaining, securing and protecting a $200 000 asset would not be attractive to me. All the studies show that new purchases feel normal after a month to six weeks.

However, I think hiring one for a week/few days and driving it on some winding roads before handing it back would be something I'd like to do. Then do it again 4 months later with a different sports car. Hedonic treadmill status: hacked :-).

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1898 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:49 PM »
The responsibility and worry of maintaining, securing and protecting a $200 000 asset would not be attractive to me. All the studies show that new purchases feel normal after a month to six weeks.

However, I think hiring one for a week/few days and driving it on some winding roads before handing it back would be something I'd like to do. Then do it again 4 months later with a different sports car. Hedonic treadmill status: hacked :-).

Yes, it is true that most purchases lose their lustre after a short while and studies have shown it is the anticipation of the purchase more so than the purchase itself that brings happiness. At the same time, studies have also shown that if you turn a purchase into an experience, it brings a lot of happiness. Currently I drive a sports car that, while not as expensive as the dream car, is still expensive, and I get a lot of happiness from road trips, bringing my friends along and letting them drive, detailing the car etc. I'm a car guy and I view them as lovely toys/art, I imagine similar to how art collectors view their pieces. Though I know art tends to appreciate.

I might keep it for a couple of years, then sell it. Running costs like depreciation, registration, servicing, maintenance, repairs and consumables are all deductible due to the way Australian tax laws work. Our marginal tax rate is 47% so it's a reasonable saving.

As for the comments about it not being a MMM approach, I think we each need to rationally think about where we put our dollars. I have friends who splurge on expensive houses and private schooling for their kids. Keep in mind this is Australia where a nice house in a nice suburb costs at least $1.8 million and up to $4 million, and private schools (which have been shown to be no better than public schools) cost $30,000 a year. I prefer living in modest places close to work, in the low $1 million dollar range. I'm saving hundreds of thousands right there on my principal place of residence. And the PPOR isn't tax deductible. So, I feel that one exception to the frugality norm is okay when that cost is deductible and can be amortised over time.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1899 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
I think most art depreciates as well. Some art appreciates
 Certain cars appreciate. I wonder how similar the ratios are. Most art ends up worthless, just like most cars.