Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288039 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1800 on: November 26, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
Looking for Christmas presents, I came across yoga subscription boxes. I don't need tchotskies, I can't use scented things, but for some reason, I want these yoga related things to appear on my doorstep regularly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1801 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
Tieks.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: November 26, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Didn't get a TV; though I found some in the price range I had previously thought was acceptable, I did a bit more research and didn't want to spring for a disposable TV.  Maybe in another year. 

Now, the stupid thing I'm lusting after is a new electronic drum kit, the Roland TD-17KVX.  You see, I already have an electronic drum kit that is quite similar to that model, but much older and not as nice.  DW asked why I needed a new kit, and I was able to say simply, "I don't." 

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
A move to Colorado.

A week in Yellowstone.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1804 on: November 27, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
I've got the Concept 2 Rower. Definitely worth it. Only rower I've found that can handle my giant ass.

I ended up getting one..first workout on it this morning, and holy crap am I out of shape!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1805 on: November 27, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
A couple of videogames. Thanksgiving sales are happening today and there are a few games I want. The one I want the most is not on sale: Battlefield V.

Not sure if the deal is still going on, but Bungie recently gave out Destiny 2 for FREE. I think they are trying to keep the community strong. IMHO it is a fantastic first-person shooter. It may scratch that Battlefield V itch.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1806 on: November 28, 2018, 12:15:46 PM »
The complete All Clad cooking apparatus, for a mere 4k $

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-copper-core-33-piece-cookware-set/?pkey=call-clad-copper-core&isx=0.0.827

Except, of course, that the mismatched stuff I bought on Kijiji works well enough for us. I wound't even know where to fit half of that stuff in out kitchen.
Textbook case of "shopping for the life I wish I had" (except that I'm not actually buying it, of course)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1807 on: November 28, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
new Nordic skis from Norway that cost $370.00. I can get perfectly good (boring) skis locally that are a few hundred cheaper...but the ones I want are prettier, and more functional. I still have no excuse to buy them!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1808 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »
Hmmmm... it may be stupid to many here. I grew up on 40 acres of land.... and now I am looking for a home with 20+ acres. I'm tired of living on top of my neighbors. I live in rural southern ohio.

I would settle for much less acreage as long as I didn't have neighbors too close, but it would also be important to not be on a busy road (or at least set back a ways from the road), no airports nearby, no noisy businesses nearby, and no train tracks for miles.  I want some peace and quiet when I'm home.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1809 on: November 29, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-copper-core-33-piece-cookware-set/?pkey=call-clad-copper-core&isx=0.0.827

Except, of course, that the mismatched stuff I bought on Kijiji works well enough for us. I wound't even know where to fit half of that stuff in out kitchen.
Textbook case of "shopping for the life I wish I had" (except that I'm not actually buying it, of course)

Have you used an all clad handle? I have a large all clad skillet I was gifted years ago by a fancy ex's fancy mom. The handles are AWFUL. It's like a running thing online in cooking circles- all the reviewers, especially america's test kitchen, are like 'the shape is so there's more maneuverability when you pour! They won't heat up! They're great!" and every home cook ever is like "yeah but they FUCKING HURT so then I *don't* maneuver because it sits in my goddamn cupboard so my hands don't hurt!"

Anyway, if you haven't tried one, maybe play with a handle with a mock 'loaded pan' in a store, and see if you're among us that find the handles to be utterly painful. It could very well help curb lust!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1810 on: November 29, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »

Whoa, that is truly lust worthy. I will file under If I Ever Win The Lottery.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1811 on: November 29, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »

Have you used an all clad handle? I have a large all clad skillet I was gifted years ago by a fancy ex's fancy mom. The handles are AWFUL. It's like a running thing online in cooking circles- all the reviewers, especially america's test kitchen, are like 'the shape is so there's more maneuverability when you pour! They won't heat up! They're great!" and every home cook ever is like "yeah but they FUCKING HURT so then I *don't* maneuver because it sits in my goddamn cupboard so my hands don't hurt!"

Anyway, if you haven't tried one, maybe play with a handle with a mock 'loaded pan' in a store, and see if you're among us that find the handles to be utterly painful. It could very well help curb lust!

As a home cook and not a pro I find nothing wrong or painful with all clad handles on any of my various pans. It is a thing some people really don't like though. I can be rather particular about knife handles, but have never found myself to be so about pan handles.

You can definitely pick up individual pans for a large discount either as seconds or overstock at their frequent online sales OR by keeping a look out at stores like Marshall's. For example I picked up one of these https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-all-in-one-pan/?cm_src=PIPRecentView for $75 not long ago. It's still "expensive" compared to the cheapest pans out there, but it should last forever and gives me enjoyment when I use it rather than the frustration of having thin walled pans with a disc bottom or something. Well worth it to me personally.

I would recommend picking out one or two pans at a time from various lines as you like rather than a matching set though. The different lines are good at different things. See the TK collection for example. http://allcladtk.com/ The chef chose different pans from different lines based on what each composition is better at, but then they all have the same finish for those that are picky about everything matching. Some of the ones in the line are 5 ply steel core, some are 5 ply copper core and the stock pots are 3 ply. Personally I would never spend the money on a multi-ply stock pot and just have a thin walled disc bottom one from a restaurant supply store, but maybe other people have other uses for a stock pot that benefit from multi-ply. Seems like overkill for that particular pan for me. To each their own.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:59:42 PM by pdxmonkey »

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1812 on: November 29, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
P.S. My cast iron skillet is still used more often than my all clad skillets. If I had to pick only one skillet for life and they were free I'd go with the cast iron skillet.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1813 on: December 05, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »
A new horse trailer.  To be specific, a Hawk 2-horse gooseneck with Rumber flooring and a mid-tack with walk-through door to the dressing room.  But then, I'd need a new(er) diesel truck to tow it, and I currently only haul my horses short distances (mostly to the vet, ha!), so it's all overkill.

On a cheaper note - a Google Home Hub or Amazon Show type thing for the kitchen.

Also still lusting over that stupid Breville Smart Oven Air.  Maybe if enough gift cards materialize the the price drops again.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1814 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
I've got the Concept 2 Rower. Definitely worth it. Only rower I've found that can handle my giant ass.

I ended up getting one..first workout on it this morning, and holy crap am I out of shape!

I'm glad I bought this thing -- I went from utterly exhausted after a 2k to doing 5k's in about a week. It's awesome.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #1815 on: December 06, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
I found the cutest indoor mini greenhouse with an led growlight and it's waaaaay to expensive and I'm not convinced the light actually puts out enough, but gosh it's cute.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1816 on: December 07, 2018, 05:59:50 AM »
A tailored suit that fits all my weird and wonderful quirks.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #1817 on: December 07, 2018, 06:06:01 AM »
Noise-cancelling headphones. They're a bit expensive, but probably worth it.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1818 on: December 07, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
new Nordic skis from Norway that cost $370.00. I can get perfectly good (boring) skis locally that are a few hundred cheaper...but the ones I want are prettier, and more functional. I still have no excuse to buy them!

Asnes? 

I feel your pain.  Thankfully, all the models I really lust for aren't available anywhere in the US. 

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1819 on: December 07, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
macbook pro. So stupid expensive. It's honestly not that dumb of a lust after since i'm going to be using the laptop in my new career.

Anyone have a good place / recommendation for a cheap (ish) refurbished macbook pro.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1820 on: December 07, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
macbook pro. So stupid expensive. It's honestly not that dumb of a lust after since i'm going to be using the laptop in my new career.

Anyone have a good place / recommendation for a cheap (ish) refurbished macbook pro.

I actually don't think this is a stupid thing to want. I switched to a Macbook Air in the summer of 2013, and I'm still using it - and I haven't noticed any issues with it, barring the charger cable having to be taped up. At this point, I think it's quite possible that Apple will stop selling power supplies for this model before the laptop itself fails. Having had to buy a new laptop every 18-24 months when using bargain-basement models, I've now cleared five years on this one - annualised cost is below $200.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1821 on: December 07, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »

If it's a career that sounds like you have an employer. Why is the employer not providing the laptop/tools to do your job?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:47:10 AM by pdxmonkey »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1822 on: December 08, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »

Asnes? 

I feel your pain.  Thankfully, all the models I really lust for aren't available anywhere in the US.

Yep, those are the ones. I know a set of Rossi's would be just fine, but I love the story behind the Asnes skis and the company. Plus it's super hard to find any other brand that makes waxable, metal edged, wide-ish ski.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1823 on: December 09, 2018, 03:02:35 AM »
Hmmmm... it may be stupid to many here. I grew up on 40 acres of land.... and now I am looking for a home with 20+ acres. I'm tired of living on top of my neighbors. I live in rural southern ohio.

I would settle for much less acreage as long as I didn't have neighbors too close, but it would also be important to not be on a busy road (or at least set back a ways from the road), no airports nearby, no noisy businesses nearby, and no train tracks for miles.  I want some peace and quiet when I'm home.

Now you both have me missing my place up north! So i would "Lust " with you both as long as there was some water on the land be it a river or a lake/Pond.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1824 on: December 10, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »

If it's a career that sounds like you have an employer. Why is the employer not providing the laptop/tools to do your job?

Correction. Not a career yet. Going to school first to (hopefully) have a career. Macbook pro is a requirement of the school.

Anyone know where to find a good refurbished unit ? 2k for a 15" laptop just seems ridiculous...

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1825 on: December 10, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »

Correction. Not a career yet. Going to school first to (hopefully) have a career. Macbook pro is a requirement of the school.

Anyone know where to find a good refurbished unit ? 2k for a 15" laptop just seems ridiculous...

I'm not sure where to find refurbished MacBook Pros, except maybe Ebay, but I will say I always thought it was so ridiculous to have such an expensive computer and then I got one and my opinion changed. I always had HP or Dell laptops in high school/college and even though they weren't the cheapest models or anything, they were always SO slow, and died after 3-4 years. My MacBook Pro is 2 years old, and is just as fast as the day I got it, and I just love everything about it. I don't really own anything else expensive like this, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1826 on: December 10, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »

I'm not sure where to find refurbished MacBook Pros, except maybe Ebay, but I will say I always thought it was so ridiculous to have such an expensive computer and then I got one and my opinion changed. I always had HP or Dell laptops in high school/college and even though they weren't the cheapest models or anything, they were always SO slow, and died after 3-4 years. My MacBook Pro is 2 years old, and is just as fast as the day I got it, and I just love everything about it. I don't really own anything else expensive like this, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

MacBook Pro compares to something like the Dell XPS 15 in the current lineup. The XPS 15 is the better value as a similarly configured one is about $1700 vs $2400 for the MacBook Pro. Neither is cheap unless you go with the really base XP 15 for $999 which isn't a comparable machine specs wise even though it carries the same name. For a couple years there a $2k mac and a $2k PC were pretty similar other than the OS. Apple has been pushing their prices up again as of late though compared to PCs of similar performance. Similar to selling phones for over $1k I suppose.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #1827 on: December 11, 2018, 04:26:21 AM »

I'm not sure where to find refurbished MacBook Pros, except maybe Ebay, but I will say I always thought it was so ridiculous to have such an expensive computer and then I got one and my opinion changed.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-pro - 1 year warranty. Inventory changes daily.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1828 on: December 11, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

I'm not sure where to find refurbished MacBook Pros, except maybe Ebay, but I will say I always thought it was so ridiculous to have such an expensive computer and then I got one and my opinion changed.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-pro - 1 year warranty. Inventory changes daily.

Awesome ! thank you. Sorry if we are derailing this already derailed thread haha

To keep this thread back on topic. Noticed after parking my (ford ranger) in the work parking lot that the big full size fancy trucks seem to be growing like a virus. At least 3-4 brandy new trucks with temp tags all parked around me. "Gas prices are cheap so that means i should go buy a 50k truck!!!"

Granted they are nice, roomy inside(i'm a big guy in a small track), can tow/haul a good deal more than the ranger but i don't want the crap gas mileage, more expensive maintenance - tires, oil change, hard to park in the city, high carbon footprint, etc that come with it. Clown car /truck lease/buying the new shiny thing is really in full swing here in colorado !

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1829 on: December 11, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Granted they are nice, roomy inside(i'm a big guy in a small track), can tow/haul a good deal more than the ranger but i don't want the crap gas mileage, more expensive maintenance - tires, oil change, hard to park in the city, high carbon footprint, etc that come with it. Clown car /truck lease/buying the new shiny thing is really in full swing here in colorado !
I think you're overestimating how often they haul or tow, and how much of a load.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1830 on: December 11, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
I think you're overestimating how often they haul or tow, and how much of a load.

The post says they "can tow/haul a good deal more", not that they "do / often tow a good deal more." ;)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1831 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

The post says they "can tow/haul a good deal more", not that they "do / often tow a good deal more." ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:10:04 PM by Kevin S. »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1832 on: December 11, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »

You're right, of course.  Touche!

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1833 on: December 11, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »

Nonsense! Like any good big ass truck owner, they probably have a boat, snowmobiles, ATVs, a giant toy hauler/camper, maybe some horses....

They clearly *NEED* this towing/hauling capacity! 

One a year they might even need to move a 4x8 sheet of plywood. How else are you going to perform such a difficult job?! 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1834 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »

Nonsense! Like any good big ass truck owner, they probably have a boat, snowmobiles, ATVs, a giant toy hauler/camper, maybe some horses....

They clearly *NEED* this towing/hauling capacity! 

One a year they might even need to move a 4x8 sheet of plywood. How else are you going to perform such a difficult job?!

Can't the horses pull the camper?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1835 on: December 12, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
To keep this thread back on topic. Noticed after parking my (ford ranger) in the work parking lot that the big full size fancy trucks seem to be growing like a virus. At least 3-4 brandy new trucks with temp tags all parked around me. "Gas prices are cheap so that means i should go buy a 50k truck!!!"

I think you'd be surprised at how GOOD the mileage is on a modern fullsize truck.  My old boss has a 2015ish Silverado 4x4 with the V8 and he's been AVERAGING 20 mpg with a stop and go commute.  Obviously no Honda Fit, but probably better than your Ranger. 

Of course its a $50k truck, so definitely not a frugal choice, but the gas mileage on those beasts isn't that terrible. 

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #1836 on: December 12, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
Ok. There's this handbag I've been lusting after for about two months. It's finally on sale. There's even a coupon code to make it more on sale. It's about $265 after all of that. And I just keep opening the webpage and staring at it. Logging into the site and getting halfway through the checkout process before I close the tab. I've been doing this for like three days. Ugh! It's so stupid. But god, it's beautiful.

EricL

« Reply #1837 on: December 12, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »
I skinned that smoke wagon for a fail. :( 

But it will be my last big purchase for some time.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1838 on: December 12, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
Ok. There's this handbag I've been lusting after for about two months. It's finally on sale. There's even a coupon code to make it more on sale. It's about $265 after all of that. And I just keep opening the webpage and staring at it. Logging into the site and getting halfway through the checkout process before I close the tab. I've been doing this for like three days. Ugh! It's so stupid. But god, it's beautiful.

I've been doing this same thing with a beautiful duvet cover from Anthropologie. I've had it in and out of my cart for about 3 months, and even when it's on sale, I can't bring myself to purchase it! There was a 30% off day the other day, and I got about halfway through the checkout process, and bailed. I just can't justify it, so I will continue to lust after it until it doesn't exist anymore...haha

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1839 on: December 12, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »

I think you'd be surprised at how GOOD the mileage is on a modern fullsize truck.  My old boss has a 2015ish Silverado 4x4 with the V8 and he's been AVERAGING 20 mpg with a stop and go commute.  Obviously no Honda Fit, but probably better than your Ranger. 

Of course its a $50k truck, so definitely not a frugal choice, but the gas mileage on those beasts isn't that terrible.
I'm surprised it's still that bad actually. I figured they'd be in the mid 20s by now at least when they're not pulling anything.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1840 on: December 13, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »
LG oled tv & Golf 7 gti in red

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: December 13, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »

I'm surprised it's still that bad actually. I figured they'd be in the mid 20s by now at least when they're not pulling anything.

I guess its all a matter of perspective.  I'm sure that mid-20s are doable on the highway with his truck, but when you consider the startup routine, stop and go, etc, its pretty nuts.  My 1999 Volvo S70 with a 165 hp naturally aspirated 2.4L and a 5-speed manual got ~18-20 on a similar drive cycle.  His truck weighs 2000lbs more than my Volvo, has more than twice the horsepower and can tow 10,000 lbs. 

Sure, its wasted when you just drive it to work, but the capability and the engineering behind it is pretty impressive.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #1842 on: December 13, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »

I've been doing this same thing with a beautiful duvet cover from Anthropologie. I've had it in and out of my cart for about 3 months, and even when it's on sale, I can't bring myself to purchase it! There was a 30% off day the other day, and I got about halfway through the checkout process, and bailed. I just can't justify it, so I will continue to lust after it until it doesn't exist anymore...haha

Glad it's not just me. I just paid my tree-cutting bill so there's no purse money left. And then I picked up my kids from school and they told me about a classmate who is not expecting gifts for Christmas because his family is having financial trouble. In fact, they had car trouble and he missed several days of school because there was no way for his mom to get him there. (She doesn't speak English, so has never connected with any other parents to call for a ride. It's a Catholic school, so there are no buses...)  This just broke my heart and I said we could get him a gift for Christmas. But what's even more important to me is that he and his siblings get to school and have reliable transportation.  So now I'm collecting funds from fellow families and we hope to give them a big gift card to buy gifts or groceries, or whatever they most need. And we're seeing if we can help some way with transportation as well.

So that puts things in perspective. And my grandfather usually gives me $50 or $100 for Christmas and my birthday is two days after Christmas, so maybe there will be an even bigger sale and I can treat myself for my bday. But the purse isn't as important as helping this other family.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1843 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

I guess its all a matter of perspective.  I'm sure that mid-20s are doable on the highway with his truck, but when you consider the startup routine, stop and go, etc, its pretty nuts.  My 1999 Volvo S70 with a 165 hp naturally aspirated 2.4L and a 5-speed manual got ~18-20 on a similar drive cycle.  His truck weighs 2000lbs more than my Volvo, has more than twice the horsepower and can tow 10,000 lbs. 

Sure, its wasted when you just drive it to work, but the capability and the engineering behind it is pretty impressive.

A 2015 Silverado with 4x4 and a V8 is rated for 15-16 mpg city. Your old boss would have to be hypermiling the crap out of that to get 20 mpg. For comparison, if he improved on the EPA's numbers by the same percentage in a 2015 Honda Fit (CVT) he could be getting 41 mpg city. That spec Silverado's EPA rating barely breaks 20 mpg for highway (21-22 mpg).

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1844 on: December 13, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

A 2015 Silverado with 4x4 and a V8 is rated for 15-16 mpg city. Your old boss would have to be hypermiling the crap out of that to get 20 mpg. For comparison, if he improved on the EPA's numbers by the same percentage in a 2015 Honda Fit (CVT) he could be getting 41 mpg city. That spec Silverado's EPA rating barely breaks 20 mpg for highway (21-22 mpg).

Yeah, I'm looking at fueleconomy.gov and its showing 16/22 for his truck.  I've ridden with him before and while he wasn't driving like a racecar driver, I didn't notice him drafting or shutting the motor off.  He could be a closet hypermiler though! I know I heard a LOT about his 20mpg lifetime average in that truck when I worked there. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1845 on: December 13, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
As the saying goes: Your mileage may vary.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1846 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
I'm a bit of a history buff.  Recently have been lusting after an Eastman A2 flight jacket in horsehide.  They make probably the most authentic reproduction available.  https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-eastman-seal-brown-horsehide-p-174.html

I'll probably wait a year to see if the desire is still there.  Money is not an issue, but this seems like the type of thing I might regret purchasing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1847 on: December 23, 2018, 03:54:39 PM »
I'm a bit of a history buff.  Recently have been lusting after an Eastman A2 flight jacket in horsehide.  They make probably the most authentic reproduction available.  https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-eastman-seal-brown-horsehide-p-174.html

I'll probably wait a year to see if the desire is still there.  Money is not an issue, but this seems like the type of thing I might regret purchasing.

Are the lesser cost versions vastly inferior? Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aviator-A-2-Flight-Jacket-Distressed-Brown-Real-Leather-Bomber-Jacket/183578713107?hash=item2abe24dc13:m:mxtpnSaWLi4Jh6veNbrKa2A:rk:1:pf:0

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1848 on: December 24, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »

I love just about anything WW2, and that jacket is *stunning*, but that price....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1849 on: December 24, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the finish looks kind of plastic-y.

Early in my career, I wanted a Burberry Trench coat. I bought it at the Burberry Store in San Francisco on a business trip. Ordered it in a Tall size and loved x3 wearing it. Thought I'd do so forever. Later, I took up yoga, which changed my shoulder stance and arm/sleeve length to the point where the trench coat doesn't fit any more. It's still on a rack in my attic. Lotta good it's doing there. At least I wore it like crazy for six or eight years, but in hindsight, I would not do that again.