Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287994 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1750 on: October 26, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »
@Sugaree - WOW, thanks!  I'm not a size 25, but I will keep an eye on there since I haven't seen them pop up on Ebay, etc.

@Roadrunner53 - You're right, steel toed boots can really rip up your feet- I wore crappy ones when I worked on a horse farm years back and shouldn't have, your husband sounds like a smart man.

I wish I wasn't such a slippery slope monster- if I bought something on the premise that I've already paid for it by saving, I'd buy ALL OF THE THINGS and lose complete control of my consumption.  Ha.  Or at least I feel like I would.

If I REALLY think about it, I want a replacement for almost everything I own, BUT... I know the difference between want and need most of the time. I want new blankets, new shower curtain, new barbell, new light switch covers, new hangers so that they are all the same color, etc. etc. etc. into near infinity.

I think I can buy them if they have a holiday sale as long as I can mentally move them to the "Need" category mentally... that way I keep off of the hedonistic waterslide.  HA. :)

------------

Edited because @Sugaree just sent me to Poshmark, which helped me realize that the pants company had RE-FREAKIN-BRANDED and now I have the old brand name to search on Ebay and am finding better pricing.  HOLY HECK.

What's the other brand name? These would hold up really well for hunting I think, and it's hell to try and find good pants that would work for hunting cut for my frame. I usually have to strap men's pants in with a belt, and it's never very comfortable!

BioLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1751 on: October 26, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
I need to be face punched.  Bought a Sonos playbar the other day, something I've wanted for a really long time.

Soundbars suck.

They’re not for enthusiasts, but they’re still a big improvement over built-in tv speakers and are easy to set up. I picked a Yamaha sound bar for about $150 and have been happy with it.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1752 on: October 26, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »

------------

Edited because @Sugaree just sent me to Poshmark, which helped me realize that the pants company had RE-FREAKIN-BRANDED and now I have the old brand name to search on Ebay and am finding better pricing.  HOLY HECK.

What's the other brand name? These would hold up really well for hunting I think, and it's hell to try and find good pants that would work for hunting cut for my frame. I usually have to strap men's pants in with a belt, and it's never very comfortable!
[/quote]

Moxie and Moss.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1754 on: October 27, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »
Lusting after new jeans. I gained weight with my last (failed...) IVF cycle. And unlike the first cycle, it didn't come back off again =( I can still fit into my pants, but it's not comfortable for long. But I'm fighting with myself over how quickly I'll lose the weight vs spending the money!

Also, lusting after new clothes in general. I think I'm just really tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own body. Need to figure out how to fix that feeling without spending being the answer!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1755 on: October 27, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
The newest GoPro. It makes no sense for me to buy one because I don't really take videos, only photos. And I'm not a huge fan of watching videos myself. But... the features are amazing. I've been thinking about this one for a while now. :p

I'd also like an automated garage door. We've been talking about it for years and have never done it. But, it would mean I could open and close our garage door without severe pain. We'll probably still talk about it for another few years.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1756 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »
A long lease for my DSLR camera. About $1700 for a good one. And the higher price/quality makes a difference. Really don’t take enough photos to justify it and the camera spends most of its time in the bag, not is use. But when I do take photos I would love to have it.

Not gonna get one anytime soon. But I WANT one.

Oh well.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1757 on: October 28, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
JanetJackson

Take a look at this: https://www.duluthtrading.com/search/?q=women%27s+work+pants&lang=default

Yuppppp, I also like those Duluth HardChore Skinnies... $119... :::Weeps into hands:::
HA.

simplyjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Men are made in the presence of other men.
« Reply #1758 on: October 28, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »
i currently lust over a Meisterstück UNICEF Resin Le Grand Fountain Pen.. i got this thing for fountain pens.. ill never write with anything else.. i carry one everyday and whip it out when the enemy on the other side of the counter hands me a receipt and their cheap pen to write with. they are like "oh excuse me" I'm like dam right!! oh and a 2018 honda accord 2.0T SPORT 6speed agghhhhh everything wants to prevent  me from reaching  each FI!!

EricL

« Reply #1759 on: October 28, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
An Uberti Smith & Wesson New Model 3 Frontier replica revolver in .45 Long Colt or .44-40 caliber.  It's a beauty.  But for me grossly impractical in just about every stinking way possible. 

- I don't do cowboy action shooting.
- It's technically a 5 shot gun because it's so old school.
- I don't need a new gun. 
- I don't have a place to store it.  Though I could if I spent another small wad on a gun safe.

So far I've been successful rationalizing the paperwork and the recent market downturn, another purchase, and some political supporting eating at my 'stache as "insurmountable" obstacles. 

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1760 on: October 29, 2018, 07:01:34 AM »
I've been lusting after a watch for about a year now. It is an Oris brown leather banded "dress/casual" watch. The thing is always "63% off" on a particular website. So, the "sale" price is $799.

I don't need it. I would like to have it. Had I started putting a bit of money away every month when I started looking at it a year ago I could almost justify buying it.

There are other watch brands that offer similar styles for half or a quarter of the price.

I am stuck on the 800 shells one tho..

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1761 on: October 29, 2018, 07:41:13 AM »
In the current environment the stupidest thing I may be lusting after may be FIRE itself.    My heart says FIRE, FIRE, FIRE.   My right brain tells me to chill and wait till 2020.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1762 on: October 29, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
In the current environment the stupidest thing I may be lusting after may be FIRE itself.    My heart says FIRE, FIRE, FIRE.   My right brain tells me to chill and wait till 2020.

Don't you have like two million dollars? I think your heart is right.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: October 29, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »

I still want a pair of electric bikes.  They are expensive.  It's the desire to buy and not just actually buying that can make one postpone FIRE. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1764 on: October 29, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »

I still want a pair of electric bikes.  They are expensive.  It's the desire to buy and not just actually buying that can make one postpone FIRE.

They must be pretty expensive indeed. Are they on this list?
https://lazypenguins.com/worlds-most-expensive-electric-bikes/

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Specialized Turbo Vado.  About 5k.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1766 on: October 29, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
Spent about an hour wandering Best Buy while waiting for DW's phone battery replacement.  Not something I really do anymore (even before catching the Mustachian bug). 

Perhaps predictably, I now have a bit of a hankering for a new TV.  Our main TV is a 46" 1080p, about 10 years old, and we have a 32" 720p in the man-cave.  Works fine, though obviously isn't going to do 4k content (which isn't a big deal yet).  I'm not looking for anything too fancy, and part of the desire is due to the affordability of a decent upgrade - looks like a lower-end 55" 4k with reasonable specs can be had for about $350 currently.  If I see prices in the $250-$275 range come Black Friday, I might do it. 

Guess it's stupid to want, since our TVs work fine. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1767 on: November 01, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Spent about an hour wandering Best Buy while waiting for DW's phone battery replacement.  Not something I really do anymore (even before catching the Mustachian bug). 

Perhaps predictably, I now have a bit of a hankering for a new TV.  Our main TV is a 46" 1080p, about 10 years old, and we have a 32" 720p in the man-cave.  Works fine, though obviously isn't going to do 4k content (which isn't a big deal yet).  I'm not looking for anything too fancy, and part of the desire is due to the affordability of a decent upgrade - looks like a lower-end 55" 4k with reasonable specs can be had for about $350 currently. If I see prices in the $250-$275 range come Black Friday, I might do it. 

Guess it's stupid to want, since our TVs work fine.

That's the TCL with roku, right? HIGHLY recommend. We replaced our last TV with that and love the thing. I use it heavily (several surgical recoveries this year... plus we cast music from it all day every day) and it's had zero issues. Never thought I'd like a "smart" TV since we already have the chromecast, but it's snappy and intuitive. Plus I can still sync up my phone and do more chromecast style whenever I want. The guy we're selling our house to is buying it off of us, and we're going to replace it with the same if we can. Costco doesn't have the 55" anymore (boo), but the 50" is going on Black Friday sale at $200-something. $230 maybe? So I'm going to wait to see if the 55" comes on sale (seems to be available though Amazon and best buy still), and decide then what we'll do.

MrMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1768 on: November 01, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »
I had a midlife crisis before getting married and bought the couple things I was lusting over. Still going through midlife crisis but at least now I have some hobbies to fill my voids of regret.

Bought a motorcycle - had one previously and sold it for more important priorities but opted to buy one again since it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission although did buy in cash at least.

Also bought goalie equipment for hockey to start playing as an adult for a new outlet/hobby.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1769 on: November 01, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »
I really really want another BMW wagon. I’ve had two and I really regret not getting another one after I had to sell my most recent one. They’re just the perfect combination of sportiness and practicality. They even get decent gas mileage, and if you get the right options they’re even fairly reliable and not too awful to work on.

Of course I need one about as badly as I need a hole in my head, but I might give in a sell my current ride sometime in the next year.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:20:48 PM by rothwem »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1770 on: November 03, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
A new watch.  Or an old watch. There is a beautiful old  Jaeger-LeCoultre for sale on a local watch forum. Almost $1000, but it will shurely not depreciate if taken care of.  But since partly renovated with after market parts, will probably never be extremely valuable either. :)

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #1771 on: November 03, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1772 on: November 07, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
oh and a 2018 honda accord 2.0T SPORT 6speed agghhhhh everything wants to prevent  me from reaching  each FI!!

Oh man.... I was checking this car the other day. My dad used to have a manual speed Accord, which I really like to drive. I keep telling myself to be content with my current Lexus, automatic tranny, but has a V8 and rear wheel drive.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1773 on: November 12, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »
A Nintendo Switch. I have a back catalog of games I haven't yet played and still more that I haven't finished or could easily get more enjoyment out of, yet here I am salivating over this blasted thing.

To make matters even more absurd, I rarely have the time to play (a big cause of the aforementioned backlog) so it wouldn't be getting a ton of usage anyways.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1774 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »
Just about everything in the Penzey's spice store. I would buy it all if I could. I have to bring a list with me and stick to it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1775 on: November 15, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
The one thing I love and use all the time is Penzy's Italian mix. I use it in everything! They have so many spices and I have no idea how to use most of them!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1776 on: November 15, 2018, 07:17:49 AM »
I want a Concept2 Model D rower.  Maybe not stupid, but definitely overkill...

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #1777 on: November 17, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »
A cinnamon bun and cup of chai (low-sugar diet).

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1778 on: November 20, 2018, 05:52:01 AM »
I've got the Concept 2 Rower. Definitely worth it. Only rower I've found that can handle my giant ass.

Currently I want a La Cornue Grand Palais 180. Not overkill at all, I promise.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1779 on: November 20, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
@JLee @brute: I would also NOT HATE owning a Concept 2 Rower.  Would not hate at all.

I'd also like a portable dishwasher. 
I rent, so I can't install a dishwasher... but golly when I come home after working three jobs at the end of the week (who am I kidding, there's no end of the week... but you know what I'm saying) and the sink is full of dishes I always audibly sigh. 
I pack my lunch every single day, and I cook every meal at home... so I make some dishes.  I eat out of the house maybe once a month... does this mean I can buy a rolling dishwasher that I'll just have to resell when I move in a year or two?!
I have fantasies of coming home and NOT having to do the dishes. 
Ha, it's so exciting to be an adult.  Dreaming about a dishwasher :::eyes roll:::

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1780 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »
Aw, JJ. Now I want to buy you a portable dishwasher.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1781 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »

I actually still have one with a friend across the country!  When I moved I gave it to her to 'hold on to' and she put it into her rental house.  Her tenants still use it!  It's a Danby, those things will run FOREVER.  It's at least 15 years old by now.  I got it for $50 from craigslist when I lived in that state.

I'll keep an eye on CL- you never know!! :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1782 on: November 20, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »

I actually still have one with a friend across the country!  When I moved I gave it to her to 'hold on to' and she put it into her rental house.  Her tenants still use it!  It's a Danby, those things will run FOREVER.  It's at least 15 years old by now.  I got it for $50 from craigslist when I lived in that state.

Wirecutter agrees with Danby - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-dishwasher/

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: November 20, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
I've got the Concept 2 Rower. Definitely worth it. Only rower I've found that can handle my giant ass.

I would love a La Cornue.  In cobalt blue to match my Kitchenaid mixer.  But an oven shouldn't cost more than a car...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1784 on: November 20, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

I have one you could have for free, but it, too, is likely across the country from you. PM me if you're in the rural southeast and don't mind a whirlpool.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1785 on: November 22, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »

------------

Moxie and Moss.

Those look so much better than the other crap out there!  If they made arc flash rated clothing, I'd get it from them (work pays for my arc flash clothing, but until recently, there were no women's jeans out there, and what they had fit horribly or was "unisex", which, if you have hips, doesn't exactly work out, and is really just code for "we don't want to bother making anything for women").

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1786 on: November 22, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »
A Dodge Promaster, high top, 159" wheelbase.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1787 on: November 22, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
A couple of videogames. Thanksgiving sales are happening today and there are a few games I want. The one I want the most is not on sale: Battlefield V.

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #1788 on: November 22, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
Well, it isn't stupid, per se. But, I am heavily contemplating one of those weighted blankets. they're supposed to help you get to sleep faster and stay asleep better.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1789 on: November 22, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Well, it isn't stupid, per se. But, I am heavily contemplating one of those weighted blankets. they're supposed to help you get to sleep faster and stay asleep better.
FWIW, we got one for our autistic son, and it has done wonders for his ability to fall asleep.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1790 on: November 23, 2018, 03:19:28 AM »
Buying a new house I'm tired fixing up the one we downsized in. Just hit 3 months and probably 80-90% done but keep fighting the bug to just by something new and maintenance free but I wont do it. Moving sucks, houses being built today are overpriced and the quality is shit. My taxes would be double at the least so I just keep reminding myself of that. I like our house and just want it to be done.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1791 on: November 23, 2018, 04:26:36 AM »
FWIW, we got one for our autistic son, and it has done wonders for his ability to fall asleep.

I have heard good things about these weighted blankets too. I think I might freak out though if I woke up and felt like I was pinned down.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #1792 on: November 24, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »
A Burberry cashmere scarf ($450).  Gorgeous, so soft, love the plaid.

Will never happen though.  Too practical here.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1794 on: November 24, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
A new Wifi router

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1795 on: November 26, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »

I would love a La Cornue.  In cobalt blue to match my Kitchenaid mixer.  But an oven shouldn't cost more than a car...

I know right? This is why I'll have to get a Bentley, just to keep my oven to car ratio in check.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1796 on: November 26, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »

I have heard good things about these weighted blankets too. I think I might freak out though if I woke up and felt like I was pinned down.
You can buy the weighted beads/pellets and make your own, which means you can make it the weight you want. 

goosefraba1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1797 on: November 26, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
Hmmmm... it may be stupid to many here. I grew up on 40 acres of land.... and now I am looking for a home with 20+ acres. I'm tired of living on top of my neighbors. I live in rural southern ohio.

Now for the "more stupid" part. I have been lusting to build my own disc golf course on the property (yes I have designed disc golf courses). I want my own... and I want to build a disc golf shop in the garage and claim much of the ridiculousness on my taxes.

What do I win?

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1798 on: November 26, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »

I know right? This is why I'll have to get a Bentley, just to keep my oven to car ratio in check.

I  like the Bentleys that were made in the  early 1960s.

I seriously considered purchasing  one but didn't because it would be too much trouble to keep it clean and shiny since  the "driveway" to my home is a dirt road about a mile long.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:19:04 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1799 on: November 26, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
I've been lusting after a watch for about a year now. It is an Oris brown leather banded "dress/casual" watch. The thing is always "63% off" on a particular website. So, the "sale" price is $799.

I don't need it. I would like to have it. Had I started putting a bit of money away every month when I started looking at it a year ago I could almost justify buying it.

There are other watch brands that offer similar styles for half or a quarter of the price.

I am stuck on the 800 shells one tho..

Due to the leisureliness of being FIREd I wear a watch for only a few hours about once per month

I've got 6 watches.

I  lusted for a dive watch because I like the look of them.

Will I ever go diving?

No.

So what I did was buy a stainless steel bracelet that's often used on dive watches.

I put it on my favorite automatic watch.

I got the look I like (which satisfied my lust) without buying the watch itself.

And saved a LOT of $ too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!