Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288298 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1700 on: September 20, 2018, 01:50:06 AM »
A power meter for my road bike.

(That's a thing in the crank that measures your body's power output in Watts. The cheapest version would set me back 'only' like $ 350.)

It'll produce a shitload of DATAAAAA (which I'm a massive sucker for) but it's only useful if you actually DO something smart with all that data. I doubt if I will actually do that, and I fear it will distract me from the simple pleasure of just riding my bike.

I want one too. I currently have one, but it’s a hub-based power meter that won’t work on my cyclocross bike, which is the bike I put 90% of my miles on. I’m also recovering from a knee injury, so I want the double-sided model so I can track my side to side power balance.

I just can’t swallow the $1000 cost and they’re fairly new enough that they’re tough to find used.

Wow. You can get a pretty good actual bike for that much.

That's my current dilemma... I really need a bike for this 6-mo stint in Europe, or I'm gonna end up car-clowning for an hour-plus every single day. I'm torn between a nice one, which I'd feel compelled to ship home, and a shitty old beater that I can just leave behind and not worry about. I have a real hard-on for a good-quality cross bike - have looked at stuff in the $600-1200 range but am indecisive as hell about it, afraid of spending too much and not liking it.

Fortunately I've been granted free use of a 29'er for a few weeks while I figure it out. Ugh...

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »

I want one too. I currently have one, but it’s a hub-based power meter that won’t work on my cyclocross bike, which is the bike I put 90% of my miles on. I’m also recovering from a knee injury, so I want the double-sided model so I can track my side to side power balance.

I just can’t swallow the $1000 cost and they’re fairly new enough that they’re tough to find used.

Wow. You can get a pretty good actual bike for that much.

Yep.  That's why I haven't been able to pull the trigger.  I know this is silly, but if it were $300, I think I'd do it to know how my knee rehab is going.  But for $1000, its a reeeallly tough sell. 

I can probably find a used one in a year for $300, so I'm waiting. 

That's my current dilemma... I really need a bike for this 6-mo stint in Europe, or I'm gonna end up car-clowning for an hour-plus every single day. I'm torn between a nice one, which I'd feel compelled to ship home, and a shitty old beater that I can just leave behind and not worry about. I have a real hard-on for a good-quality cross bike - have looked at stuff in the $600-1200 range but am indecisive as hell about it, afraid of spending too much and not liking it.

Fortunately I've been granted free use of a 29'er for a few weeks while I figure it out. Ugh...

If its a bike for just knocking around town, I probably would go the beater route.  I hate riding my nice bikes places, I'm paranoid the whole time that someone is going to mess with it.  My college dorm had one of those bike racks that you slotted your wheel into, and I remember coming down one day and seeing all of the bikes bent over with destroyed wheels from some douche that probably thought it was hilarious.  Luckily enough, my roommate was out of town for the weekend and I had brought my bike into the dorm room.  After that, it stayed inside and I never left it outside any more. 

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1702 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
OK, I have a new lust besides those stupid Wu Tang socks that have been in my amazon 'Save for later' since 2016 (that I still haven't bought yet, THANK YOU V MUCH).

AfterShokz Headphones.
  The cheapest pair are $99 I believe, and I love wearing headphones when I run or work out, but HATE not being able to hear my surroundings. 
This is especially dangerous on the winding country roads I run on 5 days per week.... so currently I listen to Podcasts and Music (and can only KIND of hear it) out loud and turn it down if I pass by people so that I don't seem like a weirdo.

I also LOVE the "don't talk to me" vibe that headphones give off, and I think even the bone conduction ones like these AfterShokz would work for this. 
Occasionally (maybe once a week) I run in the city and while I like to hear my peripheral sounds in case a catcall is actually dangerous/traffic/etc., I have found that I generally get yelled at/called at much MUCH less if I have headphones on.

I shouldn't have to consider that, but hey... it's real life.

I'm currently doing RunBet and will be doing challenge after challenge, so I am thinking that I'll wait until my collective winnings cover a pair of the headphones and get them then as kind of a reinforcement (I hate hate HATE running).  $99 though... ::UGH::

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1703 on: September 26, 2018, 03:16:34 AM »
At this point I'd almost buy you the Wu socks!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1704 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
I'm STILL lusting after a detached garage after a year of thinking about it. Looks like a ~$30K project plus another ~$2500 for a lift.

I plan to DIY some of it but need guidance on digging footers or instead just hire out the concrete work. I'm probably overthinking it all.

At this point in time I think I'll proceed with the project in the spring. I can do it all out of pocket. The family is 125% supportive.

In about a week or so I'll reconsider and wonder if we should just move in a few years when the youngest is done with the school nearest our house.

Move some place closer to work (other side of town basically) and THEN build a detached garage for my hobbies.

About a week later I'll be thinking build a garage here and then sell out later and move across town anyhow.

I guess I just need a moment of spendypants oblivion to get the project rolling. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1705 on: October 01, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
Two things:

1. a second bathroom.  Sigh.  4 people, one bathroom.
2. a minivan.  My husband just offered to buy me one.  But the Matrix isn't broken?  It's getting old and ratty, and makes strange noises.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1706 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
What year vehicles or budget are you looking at? There are some great hatchbacks out there recently if you're not set on up sizing to a minivan.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1707 on: October 04, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
I'm STILL lusting after a detached garage after a year of thinking about it. Looks like a ~$30K project plus another ~$2500 for a lift.

I plan to DIY some of it but need guidance on digging footers or instead just hire out the concrete work. I'm probably overthinking it all.

At this point in time I think I'll proceed with the project in the spring. I can do it all out of pocket. The family is 125% supportive.

In about a week or so I'll reconsider and wonder if we should just move in a few years when the youngest is done with the school nearest our house.

Move some place closer to work (other side of town basically) and THEN build a detached garage for my hobbies.

About a week later I'll be thinking build a garage here and then sell out later and move across town anyhow.

I guess I just need a moment of spendypants oblivion to get the project rolling.

If I may, I'd like to suggest a visit to Grassroots Motorsports Forum.  They have recently documented building/organizing a back yard garage.  Latest installment is about installing the lift.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1708 on: October 05, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.

A little late to the game here, but I see stainless steel Calphalon at HomeGoods every time I go! I've even seen All-Clad a couple times.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1709 on: October 05, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
What year vehicles or budget are you looking at? There are some great hatchbacks out there recently if you're not set on up sizing to a minivan.
I'm not actually looking at anything.  But here goes:

I drive a 2006 Matrix with 135,000 miles on it.  It's our "big" car.  Our "road trip" car.  Our "camping" car.  And...it's not that big.  We have a Thule box for the top, but for an actual camping trip, it's pretty packed.  Thus, the kids and hubs aren't really into camping or road trips.

It's also wearing out.  You know, parts inside are breaking.  We've replaced a handle already, the floor carpet is wearing, the clock is intermittent, the dome light is intermittent.  It squeals (some sort of belt) and is kind of loud.  It also wears through tires quickly, but that might be the driver not the car.

But...it's a Toyota.  So, at 135k miles, it's basically an adolescent, just like my 12 year old.  I figure it will last until he goes to college.  At that point, I won't need a minivan!

So...why minivan -
Sliding doors, much more people/ cargo space (for carpooling with kids around town, to school - we have a neighborhood with a lot of kids at the same schools).  We used to carpool, but when the family with 3 kids had their 3rd start school, we couldn't fit them all anymore.

Why not minivan-
Gas mileage.  Harder to maneuver and park in our little spot. 

Why slightly larger hatchback/ mini-SUV
Better for camping trips
More leg room and cargo space
Maybe can find one that's a hybrid

Why not
Gas mileage on most is no better than the Matrix.

The most powerful force in my life is inertia.  I will probably have this Matrix in 6 years.  And I probably won't have that bathroom.

Budget: we don't have one.  We could write a check for a Tesla if we wanted.  But you know, the reason why we could do that is because we don't do that.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: October 05, 2018, 01:39:39 PM »
I'm not actually looking at anything.  But here goes:...
Two thoughts come to mind:
1) All the mechanical problems with the Matrix are easily/cheaply fixable
2) Minivans are, IMHO, the most practical vehicle on the road today.  You say you feel squeezed when camping, and that it's a barrier to camping?  That would go away with a minivan.  Can't carpool because you don't have enough seats?  That goes away with a minivan.  Mileage?  We get about 18mpg around town, and it peaks at about 28mpg if you're doing about 65mph, and about 24mpg if you're doing 80 on a cross-country trip.  We used to have a sedan (my beloved '95 Corolla) and a 7-passenger minivan.  When our 6th kid was on the way, we sold the minivan and bought an 8-passenger one.  Ever since, I wish we had sold my Corolla and kept the 2nd minivan.

You're considering a mini-SUV?  I think you're nuts for doing so.  Mini-SUVs/crossovers have all the downsides of the minivan (harder to maneuver, lower gas mileage) with none of the advantages (same cargo and passenger capacity as a hatch).

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #1711 on: October 05, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
A power meter for my road bike.

(That's a thing in the crank that measures your body's power output in Watts. The cheapest version would set me back 'only' like $ 350.)

It'll produce a shitload of DATAAAAA (which I'm a massive sucker for) but it's only useful if you actually DO something smart with all that data. I doubt if I will actually do that, and I fear it will distract me from the simple pleasure of just riding my bike.

i have two quarks from before my mustachian days. one on my tri bike, the other on my road bike.  they're still going strong.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1712 on: October 05, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »
I'm not actually looking at anything.  But here goes:...
Two thoughts come to mind:
1) All the mechanical problems with the Matrix are easily/cheaply fixable
2) Minivans are, IMHO, the most practical vehicle on the road today.  You say you feel squeezed when camping, and that it's a barrier to camping?  That would go away with a minivan.  Can't carpool because you don't have enough seats?  That goes away with a minivan.  Mileage?  We get about 18mpg around town, and it peaks at about 28mpg if you're doing about 65mph, and about 24mpg if you're doing 80 on a cross-country trip.  We used to have a sedan (my beloved '95 Corolla) and a 7-passenger minivan.  When our 6th kid was on the way, we sold the minivan and bought an 8-passenger one.  Ever since, I wish we had sold my Corolla and kept the 2nd minivan.

You're considering a mini-SUV? I think you're nuts for doing so.  Mini-SUVs/crossovers have all the downsides of the minivan (harder to maneuver, lower gas mileage) with none of the advantages (same cargo and passenger capacity as a hatch).
EXACTLY (why it's never been a serious contender)

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #1713 on: October 05, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
A secluded two bed room cabin in Maine. It's beautiful and wonderful and I just need to quit thinking about it because that's not happening right now.

But realistically I don't think I'm lusting after anything that is even remotely possible at the moment.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1714 on: October 05, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.
I did this 15 years ago and have never regretted it.  The 3-ply brand I bought was Tramontina, I got it at TJMaxx.   Still looks great and works great.  I did get one piece of AllClad, the 14-inch skillet.  It cost so much that it was my present for a major birthday!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: October 06, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
A pop top for my beloved Honda Element. I camp a lot at bike races, and sleep in the back with all my gear next to me...but it sounds luxurious to have all of the gear in the back, and to sleep on top of the car! It doesn't sound good enough to spend $5000 though. Just a dream!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1716 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »

A little late to the game here, but I see stainless steel Calphalon at HomeGoods every time I go! I've even seen All-Clad a couple times.
I did this 15 years ago and have never regretted it.  The 3-ply brand I bought was Tramontina, I got it at TJMaxx.   Still looks great and works great.  I did get one piece of AllClad, the 14-inch skillet.  It cost so much that it was my present for a major birthday!

My ex's mom got me a big all clad skillet. And you know what? I hardly use it! The handle design is the most hateful, boneheaded, painful, useless design ever. Ruins the whole fucking pan. I much prefer the Calphalon 3-ply I picked up at TJMaxx. That's also where I got my Le Crueset Dutch Ovens- now THOSE see a ton of use!

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #1717 on: October 06, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
A flippin’ Tesla. I have an electric car, but...oh, that Tesla charging network!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1718 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
Minivans are, IMHO, the most practical vehicle on the road today.

Yes!  Tons of space, decent power, decent handling, sliding doors, highway mileage in the mid 20’s, and a cost that is significantly less than a large suv with similar cargo capacity.  I enjoy driving ours and marvel at the amazing combination of qualities.

Of course I still look at guys driving a minivan on vacation loaded with their families and think, “Oh, poor schmuck...”

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2018, 06:43:35 AM »
Check out QVC. They have three different models with 3, 5 and 6 monthly payments. Or I see they will finance it thru Synchrony bank for something like a year and no finance charges if paid off in full at that time.
Are you serious? I realize they're getting scarce, but this answer is totally a faceunch candidate. It doesn't matter what the question was.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
I'm lusting after a decent H-alpha solar telescope now...  They're running some good deals, as much as 20% off, but still, it would cost anywhere from 15-25% of my total yearly budget!  While I'd love to have one, I just can't justify that.  I'd be lucky to use it once or twice a year once the initial thrill wore off.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1721 on: October 14, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
It might not be the stupidest thing. But I am lusting for full body therapeutic massage. It would easily be $50 to $100 depending on the deal.  I haven’t got one for a long time and my body is crying for it.
Any mustachian way to solve this body ache issue?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1722 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
It might not be the stupidest thing. But I am lusting for full body therapeutic massage. It would easily be $50 to $100 depending on the deal.  I haven’t got one for a long time and my body is crying for it.

DIY: if you have a partner, learn how to do massage for each other.
Substitute: see if a hot bath with epsom salts is adequate
Barter: if you have skills that can be bartered, see if any massage therapist is interested.
Cheap: See if there are massage schools near you
Also cheap: check groupon deals
Use your resources: see if insurance will pay toward it, and if your qualify.
Prevent: Identify and work to solve any weight, fitness, mobility, and PT issues you may have to prevent issues in the future. Make sure your shoes and mattress are in good shape and supportive. Check your posture. Don't spend much time on couches or other 'slumped' postures. If you lift things often, make sure you're doing it with good form.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1723 on: October 15, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »

I have the exact same problem! I hunch and sometimes really have shoulder/neck pain. Other than a massage the biggest thing that helps me, is doing yoga. One that is very gentle is Rodney Yee's AM yoga. I do it in the am and it it really helps uncrick my body.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1724 on: October 15, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »
The stupidest thing I want right now is a robotic vacuum cleaner.  Well, actually I want the smart home of the future that Epcot promised us, but I'll settle for a Roomba.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1725 on: October 15, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »

Groupon. I need to do that too - I have been telling myself that for years but haven't got around to it yet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1726 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
I really want one of those Saint James Breton stripe sweaters. Sigh. Time to start haunting eBay for a gently used version.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1727 on: October 15, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »

DIY: if you have a partner, learn how to do massage for each other.
Substitute: see if a hot bath with epsom salts is adequate
Barter: if you have skills that can be bartered, see if any massage therapist is interested.
Cheap: See if there are massage schools near you
Also cheap: check groupon deals
Use your resources: see if insurance will pay toward it, and if your qualify.
Prevent: Identify and work to solve any weight, fitness, mobility, and PT issues you may have to prevent issues in the future. Make sure your shoes and mattress are in good shape and supportive. Check your posture. Don't spend much time on couches or other 'slumped' postures. If you lift things often, make sure you're doing it with good form.

Thanks. I'm going to get a Groupon deal.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1728 on: October 15, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »

I have the exact same problem! I hunch and sometimes really have shoulder/neck pain. Other than a massage the biggest thing that helps me, is doing yoga. One that is very gentle is Rodney Yee's AM yoga. I do it in the am and it it really helps uncrick my body.

Thanks for the information

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1729 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
I really want one of those Saint James Breton stripe sweaters. Sigh. Time to start haunting eBay for a gently used version.

Have you checked Poshmark?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: October 15, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »

Have you checked Poshmark?

I haven't, but that's a great idea. Thanks!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1731 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
I realize there is more than 1 video out there, this is the am portion of this dvd, but I like his other videos too.
the other thing is if I swim, all my neck, back pain goes away. I found out a friend is joining the Y. I've always resisted because I'm trying to cut rather than add costs. But she said it is $70 for a family, we all like swimming plus they have free classes, I am very very tempted.

https://www.amazon.com/M-P-M-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B00007JME6

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #1732 on: October 15, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
iPhone XS
Salsa Timberjack SLX
Boosted board
Electric bike (of any kind lol)
Xbox
TV

I fortunately have restraint. There are days tho.... ;P

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1733 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:03 PM »
I need to be face punched.  Bought a Sonos playbar the other day, something I've wanted for a really long time. 

raia455

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1734 on: October 19, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »
Samsung Galaxy Note 9.  The one with extra RAM and internal storage that raises the price $250 over the base $999. 

This flies in the face of my usual strategy with computers/technology/etc, which is to teach old dogs new tricks - I acquire older equipment that is still upgradable, optimizing here and there as cash allows.  I have a shelf in my closet, full of computer parts acquired for cheap/free.   It's a fun and useful hobby.

But that PHONE! :) 

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1735 on: October 19, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
I'm lusting after a winning MegaMillions ticket, but not enough to throw a little bit of cash toward attempting to obtain one. Can you imagine going from random lottery ticket buyer to one of the 500 richest people in the US?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1736 on: October 19, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
I'm lusting after a winning MegaMillions ticket, but not enough to throw a little bit of cash toward attempting to obtain one. Can you imagine going from random lottery ticket buyer to one of the 500 richest people in the US?

I really can't.  I would probably be so overwhelmed if it happened that I would have to sit down for a few hours and figure out / write down exactly what I should do.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1737 on: October 19, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Ehh...playing the lottery would require driving over the state line for me.  It's only about 25 miles, but I don't wanna.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1738 on: October 19, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
I need to be face punched.  Bought a Sonos playbar the other day, something I've wanted for a really long time.

Soundbars suck.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: October 19, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »

Soundbars suck.

I love it, but I live in a small place.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1740 on: October 19, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »
I am lusting after a revocable living trust done by a really expensive ($4500!) and full service estate planning law firm. Mmmmmmm so much control over my assets and how they are distributed in the event of my death...

Instead we are doing a lot of boring research and trying to get referrals to an attorney who will just provide the minimum ($1500?) service that will get the job done. The expensive attorneys put on such a great sales pitch and we wants it, we wants it...

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1741 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
A couple of japanese chef knives, made by a really old blacksmith that probably retires soon.

I've got dozens of new pocket knives that I never use and don't really need yet   I want a few more.

Do I deserve the dunce cap for stupid lust?

I think so.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:14:40 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1742 on: October 21, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »
A couple of japanese chef knives, made by a really old blacksmith that probably retires soon.

I've got dozens of new pocket knives that I never use and don't really need yet   I want a few more.

I think so.
Are you perhaps a Boy Scout? :P I've worked a lot with scouts, and there's something about pocket knives that is positively captivating for that demographic.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1743 on: October 22, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »

I think so.

Not sure what draws you to pocket knives (MacGyver comes to mind) but why don't you get a curio cabinet and display them? You seem to enjoy them and displaying them would give you some visual joy. If there are some unique features of each knife you could display a little history about each knife. Make it a hobby! Make a three ring binder with plastic sleeves. Take pictures of all the features, cost, age, what made you buy it. Make it a fun project!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1744 on: October 25, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
A pair of Dovetail Work Wear pants for the cold weather (I'm a dog walker and I work on a small farm). 
I've looked into other brands and these are best reviewed and cut in a way where I won't look absolutely awful if I also want to go into public after/before a dog walk (some workwear that's "cut for women" still has an awful awful fit).

These stupid pants are around $100, but I think might last 5+ years?  Currently I wear gym tights under old jeans to stay warm and it's pretty uncomfortable, but does the jobby job.

WANT THE NICE PANTS.

*Still want the WU TANG socks too.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1745 on: October 25, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
A pair of Dovetail Work Wear pants for the cold weather (I'm a dog walker and I work on a small farm). 
I've looked into other brands and these are best reviewed and cut in a way where I won't look absolutely awful if I also want to go into public after/before a dog walk (some workwear that's "cut for women" still has an awful awful fit).

These stupid pants are around $100, but I think might last 5+ years?  Currently I wear gym tights under old jeans to stay warm and it's pretty uncomfortable, but does the jobby job.

WANT THE NICE PANTS.

Consider this part of your work wardrobe! Buy them! Take some money out of your piggy bank. Not so sure about the socks but the pants for sure!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1746 on: October 25, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »

WANT THE NICE PANTS.

Consider this part of your work wardrobe! Buy them! Take some money out of your piggy bank. Not so sure about the socks but the pants for sure!

ZOMG but they're $100!!! I don't own ANY clothing that cost that much, even winter coats.  I thrift and Ebay every single piece of my clothing except underpants, even shoes!  I get sweaty and panicked even thinking of spending $100 on PANTS! 
I guess I could.... deduct them?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: October 25, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
If you are a size 25, there's a pair on Poshmark for $50.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1748 on: October 25, 2018, 08:07:01 AM »

WANT THE NICE PANTS.

ZOMG but they're $100!!! I don't own ANY clothing that cost that much, even winter coats.  I thrift and Ebay every single piece of my clothing except underpants, even shoes!  I get sweaty and panicked even thinking of spending $100 on PANTS! 
I guess I could.... deduct them?

Well, you have already paid for the pants by being thrifty all these years! If they will last 5 years it is kind of an investment that will be worth it. My hub used to wear steel toe work shoes. If you have ever had to wear steel toe shoes you can appreciate a good pair. His company used to have a shoe truck come and most of the shoes were ok but not great. He was on his feet all day long and up on the roof of a building 20 acres under a roof. He put miles and miles on his shoes each day. He finally invested in Red Wing safety shoes that were about $150 a pair (or more). He did get partial reimbursement for the shoes once a year. But it was so worth it for him to have shoes that didn't kill his feet and give him blisters and pain. Sometimes you need to spend money for the right things. If you continue to be frugal in other ways, you will still be saving lots of money. If you have a business, I am sure you can deduct the pants as an expense. Work clothes, work shoes. I buy a lot of clothing items on ebay too.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1749 on: October 26, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
@Sugaree - WOW, thanks!  I'm not a size 25, but I will keep an eye on there since I haven't seen them pop up on Ebay, etc.

@Roadrunner53 - You're right, steel toed boots can really rip up your feet- I wore crappy ones when I worked on a horse farm years back and shouldn't have, your husband sounds like a smart man.

I wish I wasn't such a slippery slope monster- if I bought something on the premise that I've already paid for it by saving, I'd buy ALL OF THE THINGS and lose complete control of my consumption.  Ha.  Or at least I feel like I would.

If I REALLY think about it, I want a replacement for almost everything I own, BUT... I know the difference between want and need most of the time. I want new blankets, new shower curtain, new barbell, new light switch covers, new hangers so that they are all the same color, etc. etc. etc. into near infinity.

I think I can buy them if they have a holiday sale as long as I can mentally move them to the "Need" category mentally... that way I keep off of the hedonistic waterslide.  HA. :)

------------

Edited because @Sugaree just sent me to Poshmark, which helped me realize that the pants company had RE-FREAKIN-BRANDED and now I have the old brand name to search on Ebay and am finding better pricing.  HOLY HECK.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:00:29 AM by JanetJackson »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!