Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287957 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1650 on: August 28, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
This videocamera:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV14OXA/?coliid=I21X6LNJ9BVTED&colid=1MN9JM8U3JE49&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I know I just need to stick with my used GoPro Hero 4.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1651 on: August 29, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
At the moment, I'm lusting after two things:
1) A two-post lift to make it easier to work on our cars.  It would cost about $2,000.  My car is worth *maybe* $800.
2) Flight instruction and my own airplane(s).  At least three planes, to be specific: an ultralight for just sightseeing around the area, a bush plane (KitFox? Cub? I don't know) for going off the beaten path, and an RV-10 for cross-country flying.

I've had my two-post lift for 7 years or so. I may have saved the purchase cost by doing my own repairs and maintainance , maybe not. I could have done a lot of the work without the lift but I'm too old to be crawling around under cars on jack stands.  I certainly have some envious friends since I had it installed.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1652 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
1) A two-post lift to make it easier to work on our cars.  It would cost about $2,000.  My car is worth *maybe* $800.
2) Flight instruction and my own airplane(s).  At least three planes, to be specific: an ultralight for just sightseeing around the area, a bush plane (KitFox? Cub? I don't know) for going off the beaten path, and an RV-10 for cross-country flying.

I've had my two-post lift for 7 years or so. I may have saved the purchase cost by doing my own repairs and maintainance , maybe not. I could have done a lot of the work without the lift but I'm too old to be crawling around under cars on jack stands.  I certainly have some envious friends since I had it installed.
I have a brother-in-law who's in the process of finishing his new garage (separate from his attached garage).  He plans to put a lift in, and poured the slab thicker in order to make it possible.  I'm quite envious.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1653 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
A camping trailer. There are some small air streams that I love. 

Would like to have a small, camper to travel with my dog so she can stay in AC while we do other things or go places that she can't. Wish every place was dog friendly but it isn't.

But I don't have a place to park it, we rarely have time to go camping and it is too much money. So it is just a stupid dream.

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #1654 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-30/mb-f-l-ep-e-1839-grant-desk-clock-a-timekeeping-tank?srnd=premium-europe

Clearly I am not. What sort of insanity is a $22,800 desk clock that looks like a transformer...... "Experiencing one of these creations in person is like being given a small slice of your childhood back". Can you imagine writing that! Priceless.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1655 on: August 30, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
It's kind of hard to read. I wouldn't pay more than $15K for it. ;)

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1656 on: August 30, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
Of all the idiotic bullshit advertisers try to feed to me, fancy watches are the absolute fucking worst. They're fucking JEWELLERY, and all the horseshit about "craftsmanship" and "heritage" and "classic design" can go and do one. That ludicrous contraption is a pointless executive toy that costs about the same as an entry-level worker's annual salary and does a worse job of actually telling you the time than a ten-dollar desktop clock. It's a beautifully constructed sign that reads "I AM RICH AS FUCK AND CAN AFFORD TO BLOW THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS ON ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS". I think I'd have more respect for someone who blew that much on a spectacular Vegas bender.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1657 on: September 02, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »
Tesla Model 3.  I'm afraid that I'm losing the battle.  I'll have to decide soon because for this car the Federal tax credit expires December 31 and it takes 2-4 months for deliver.

One the plus side it could literally be the last car I ever buy.  I've had my current car for 14 years and 14 years from now I'll be 80.  OTOH 50K for a car with plastic seats!?!  (AKA vegan leather and manufactured leather).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1658 on: September 02, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
Tesla Model 3.  I'm afraid that I'm losing the battle.
Let me help you fight the battle:
https://jalopnik.com/bumper-falls-off-brand-new-tesla-model-3-after-30-minut-1828306917
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-adds-third-assembly-line-in-a-tent-outside-its-hu-1826901306
https://jalopnik.com/anyone-can-order-a-tesla-model-3-now-but-the-35-000-o-1827493114

If you're going to spend $50k+ on an electric car at least get something built by a reasonable company. The Jaguar I-PACE is only $5k more than the performance version of the Model 3. Chevrolet offers a sub-$40k electric car already with the Bolt, which is a better car than the Model 3. The Hyundai Kona EV will be out soon too.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #1659 on: September 03, 2018, 05:07:10 AM »
A 2011 Maserati GranTurismo S caught my attention while car shopping to replace our aging car.  Original price was 145k and it’s currently down to 36k in absolutely mint condition.  The pull is strong but my wife has landed some solid face punches. The sound of the exhaust made me smile just from a video, I can’t imagine firing that thing up in person.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1660 on: September 03, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
A 2011 Maserati GranTurismo S caught my attention while car shopping to replace our aging car.  Original price was 145k and it’s currently down to 36k in absolutely mint condition.  The pull is strong but my wife has landed some solid face punches. The sound of the exhaust made me smile just from a video, I can’t imagine firing that thing up in person.
The Maserati GranTurismo is a gorgeous car. But there's a reason they've depreciated so much. Reliability is a known issue with Maseratis. And they aren't cheap to repair either.
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/how-reliable-are-maserati/

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1661 on: September 03, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
Ceramic coating and a detail of my car for £650 ($850). Wrote a email to the detailer  and deleted it. Oh the shame!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1662 on: September 03, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »
I really want this keyboard, but if I'm honest, most of my keyboard hours are for work....and they're mostly on a laptop, not where this keyboard would go.

https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/edge/

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: September 03, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
http://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/reference/dla_rs4500k/

This is a true 4k HDR projector with a laser light source for amazing blacks and contrast ratios.  For $35k they can go suck it.  But a few years from now this tech will be standard and we will be all over it.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1664 on: September 06, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »

Oh me too! Unfortunately the ceiling in my garage is not high enough for a lift...

If we ever buy another house, my want list includes a 3 car garage with tall ceiling to install a lift. Also extra tall garage door so I can drive our SUV with the roof top carrier into the garage. I am getting tired of loading/unloading the roof top carrier in the driveway. It seems that every time I do this, it starts raining lol and in the winter it really sucks to load/unload outside.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1665 on: September 07, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
The Maserati GranTurismo is a gorgeous car. But there's a reason they've depreciated so much. Reliability is a known issue with Maseratis. And they aren't cheap to repair either.

My neighbor's ex own a Maserati (not sure which model). He said the car always has problem and not cheap to fix.  I have seen the car in his driveway a few times, very cool car.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1666 on: September 07, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
Help me church of MMM! I can NOT stop lusting over motorcycles! Every time I get a new one (currently on a '17 Yamaha FZ10), it is about 1 year before I start browsing for a new one. It starts by just browsing craigslist ads, no biggie. Next thing you know, I am hooked on something (in this case, it's a Suzuki GSXR 750) and I start thinking of all the ways I can make it happen. But I know damn well I won't be one bit happier on the new bike after just a few months. And a year later, I will end up on craigslist again. It's everything the MMM community hates about mindless consumerism. It's insanely STUPID. Yet I can NOT stop! This also qualifies for the facepunch thread.

But, that said, my current plan is to go cheaper, and have both a new (to me) bike and zero motorcycle (or any other) debt. So that is how I am justifying it this time. Also the insurance on older bikes in peanuts.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1667 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
Help me church of MMM! I can NOT stop lusting over motorcycles! Every time I get a new one (currently on a '17 Yamaha FZ10), it is about 1 year before I start browsing for a new one. It starts by just browsing craigslist ads, no biggie. Next thing you know, I am hooked on something (in this case, it's a Suzuki GSXR 750) and I start thinking of all the ways I can make it happen. But I know damn well I won't be one bit happier on the new bike after just a few months. And a year later, I will end up on craigslist again. It's everything the MMM community hates about mindless consumerism. It's insanely STUPID. Yet I can NOT stop! This also qualifies for the facepunch thread.

But, that said, my current plan is to go cheaper, and have both a new (to me) bike and zero motorcycle (or any other) debt. So that is how I am justifying it this time. Also the insurance on older bikes in peanuts.

Maybe buy something with more character, like a collector's bike or something, that you're less likely to want to swap out for the newest shiny model. Also won't depreciate as much. Like a Ducati 916 or something.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1668 on: September 07, 2018, 02:15:17 PM »

Maybe buy something with more character, like a collector's bike or something, that you're less likely to want to swap out for the newest shiny model. Also won't depreciate as much. Like a Ducati 916 or something.

Good thinking. Hell, my brother has a beautiful Ducati 748. Maybe I could just borrower it or swap for a few months!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1669 on: September 07, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/horizon-zero-dawntm-the-board-game

HZD is my favorite game ever. And I love the designs of the machines. But not only is it ridiculously expensive, I also have nobody to play it with. Plus I probably won't even see it until 2020.

I wish they'd just sell the machines a la carte. I'd be more than happy with just a Thunderjaw and a Tallneck. And maybe a Watcher. And a Stalker. And a Longleg. And a Stormbird. And a Scorcher.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1670 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
A 1990-1998 GMC Vanduro, to convert into a camper van.

sapphail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1671 on: September 09, 2018, 02:34:22 AM »
More tomatoes. I grow my own tomatoes, but was concerned that there wouldn't be enough to keep me in sauce and soup until spring, so I bought a case of nice romas wholesale. Now that I've canned them all up, I want MORE. I still have quite a few ripening on the vines, but some primeval instinct is telling me to hoard. The kicker is that even if I were to run out of sauce mid-winter, I can easily afford to buy a can of tomatoes for $1 at the store (though they wouldn't be as tasty as my sauce).

At least most of the above posters want expensive things, I just want to swim in tomato sauce.

I wish I could grow tomatoes. Every spring, I get a bee in my bonnet about growing things - herbs, fruit, garlic, you name it. Problem is, I have the opposite of a green thumb and have somehow managed to kill everything I plant. I have killed mint, which apparently grows like a weed. I could probably kill bamboo. I'll have to stick to store-bought :(

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1672 on: September 09, 2018, 03:49:15 AM »
A power meter for my road bike.

(That's a thing in the crank that measures your body's power output in Watts. The cheapest version would set me back 'only' like $ 350.)

It'll produce a shitload of DATAAAAA (which I'm a massive sucker for) but it's only useful if you actually DO something smart with all that data. I doubt if I will actually do that, and I fear it will distract me from the simple pleasure of just riding my bike.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1673 on: September 09, 2018, 04:36:27 AM »

(That's a thing in the crank that measures your body's power output in Watts. The cheapest version would set me back 'only' like $ 350.)

It'll produce a shitload of DATAAAAA (which I'm a massive sucker for) but it's only useful if you actually DO something smart with all that data. I doubt if I will actually do that, and I fear it will distract me from the simple pleasure of just riding my bike.

Join the FB group "Tri n' Sell it", you will find used power meters almost daily/weekly. Snag one when you can find a good deal. It's 90% triathlete gear. Triathletes always need the latest and greatest tech, so they get rid of perfectly functioning items after a season or two.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #1674 on: September 09, 2018, 05:21:26 AM »

My neighbor's ex own a Maserati (not sure which model). He said the car always has problem and not cheap to fix.  I have seen the car in his driveway a few times, very cool car.

I’m reasonable handy so I was planning on doing my own brakes, belts and fluids but there are some things are beyond my current comfort zone like clutch repairs and anything else internal.  Repairs seem to cost an order of magnitude more than a normal car repair.  The windshield has a crack in the one I was looking st, I would have expected that to cost $500 bucks.  Nope, $5,500.  Clutch isn’t $700, it’s 7,000. 

I probably could have convinced myself into the car if maitanince was reasonably priced but I don’t want to worry about spending that kind of money just to keep it running.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1675 on: September 09, 2018, 05:45:09 AM »
Isn't a used Maserati the cheapest way to look rich? ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1676 on: September 09, 2018, 06:49:23 AM »

I’m reasonable handy so I was planning on doing my own brakes, belts and fluids but there are some things are beyond my current comfort zone like clutch repairs and anything else internal.  Repairs seem to cost an order of magnitude more than a normal car repair.  The windshield has a crack in the one I was looking st, I would have expected that to cost $500 bucks.  Nope, $5,500.  Clutch isn’t $700, it’s 7,000. 

I probably could have convinced myself into the car if maitanince was reasonably priced but I don’t want to worry about spending that kind of money just to keep it running.

That's why I don't have a Mercedes S600.  2003-2006, I think, are the years with absolutely ridiculous power/comfort, but when they break you're out a lot of money. $1500 coil packs, etc. Maybe someday when I have more garage space to play around with, but by then they'll be so old..

https://jalopnik.com/the-180-mph-cheaper-sleeper-the-story-of-my-mercedes-s-1534030903
https://jalopnik.com/you-can-buy-a-604-hp-mercedes-s65-amg-for-the-price-of-1685564931

I've seen S600's under $10k, and I want to say they were $140k+ new.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1677 on: September 10, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »

My lil brother is crazy for bikes too, and endlessly looks at craigslist, both bikes and stuff for bikes. He basically buys bikes, fixes them up, rides them for awhile, gets another itch, sells the bike to get another one. It's not zero transaction costs, but much cheaper than buying new. What I find humorous, is he essentially does the same thing in one of his favorite video games with tanks. I guess it makes sense because when he was a kid he was super into building models and in college learned autocad o he could say design a 3D model of an engine. That part of my brain doesn't work.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1678 on: September 10, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »

My lil brother is crazy for bikes too, and endlessly looks at craigslist, both bikes and stuff for bikes. He basically buys bikes, fixes them up, rides them for awhile, gets another itch, sells the bike to get another one. It's not zero transaction costs, but much cheaper than buying new. What I find humorous, is he essentially does the same thing in one of his favorite video games with tanks. I guess it makes sense because when he was a kid he was super into building models and in college learned autocad o he could say design a 3D model of an engine. That part of my brain doesn't work.

I used to kinda do that with cars. I was usually driving something different every year or two and would generally not lose much / anything on a sale. Then I moved to a state that charges sales tax on private party vehicle purchases, and that ended..

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1679 on: September 10, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »
New tractor. We have to have a tractor, and it has to have 4wd, so we can maintain the road that lets us get to the house. But it does not have to be a new tractor. It's just we sold the backhoe (a late '60s model) in large part because it had reached the point where more time was being spent working on it than with it. New tractor means new tractor warranty. Until it doesn't, anyway.

The search for a used tractor continues. I just want a new tractor for a used tractor price, basically. I'll lust, but we will not buy. Hopefully we'll eventually find a used one in decent shape, and there will be much rejoicing.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #1680 on: September 10, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »
VW GTI. I'm a practical person at heart so I would like a practical "hot hatch". I've gone back and forth between the Focus ST, MazdaSpeed 3, GTI, etc... over the past 5 or so years. I probably really got the bug when my current driver turned 10 but decided I wouldn't buy a new car until I lessen my 140 mile per day commute. Well, over 3 years ago I lessened my commute. I then turned to the next goal and the next and still haven't bought that car.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1681 on: September 10, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
Because of the weather, a generator. Live in North Carolina, and unfortunately florence reminds me of Fran. Which was trees down everywhere including crushed car and rooftops within a block, no electricity for a week. Traffic deaths from no operating traffic lights.  Except that Fran was a level 3 and Flo is a level 4, and about twice as many pple live on the coast than they did twenty years ago.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1682 on: September 11, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
A house. In the forest. Overlooking a lake. That can generate rental income. And income as a B and B. The stupid part is that it’s in a country where I currently do not reside.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1683 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
Because of the weather, a generator. Live in North Carolina, and unfortunately florence reminds me of Fran. Which was trees down everywhere including crushed car and rooftops within a block, no electricity for a week. Traffic deaths from no operating traffic lights.  Except that Fran was a level 3 and Flo is a level 4, and about twice as many pple live on the coast than they did twenty years ago.

I have family in North Carolina. Stay safe!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
A couple of japanese chef knives, made by a really old blacksmith that probably retires soon.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1685 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
A Toyota Tacoma and a Four-Wheel Camper. These would be the perfect tools for my lifestyle -overlanding, which I do on 6-month stints but hope to go full-time in a year or two.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #1686 on: September 11, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
I have a small collection of rocks and minerals, most of which I've collected on my own from places I've been, which is how you're supposed to do it IMHO.

But I've been hanging out at mineral websites online.  And the pretty sparkly rocks are pretty and sparkly.

http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/best1-4.htm

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1687 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
I have a small collection of rocks and minerals, most of which I've collected on my own from places I've been, which is how you're supposed to do it IMHO.

But I've been hanging out at mineral websites online.  And the pretty sparkly rocks are pretty and sparkly.

I like browsing this site. I've bought a couple things and they were nice. Look at the "spectacular" decorator minerals.
https://www.mineralminers.com/html/indxmins.htm

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1688 on: September 12, 2018, 05:55:50 AM »

I want one too. I currently have one, but it’s a hub-based power meter that won’t work on my cyclocross bike, which is the bike I put 90% of my miles on. I’m also recovering from a knee injury, so I want the double-sided model so I can track my side to side power balance.

I just can’t swallow the $1000 cost and they’re fairly new enough that they’re tough to find used.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #1689 on: September 12, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »

I want one too. I currently have one, but it’s a hub-based power meter that won’t work on my cyclocross bike, which is the bike I put 90% of my miles on. I’m also recovering from a knee injury, so I want the double-sided model so I can track my side to side power balance.

I just can’t swallow the $1000 cost and they’re fairly new enough that they’re tough to find used.

I had no idea such a thing existed, much less in a double sided version.  No way I'm stopping that kind of money, but it would be super cool to see how much more I'm actually doing with my right leg.  I know it's dominant, it's just a question of how much.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1690 on: September 12, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »

I had no idea such a thing existed, much less in a double sided version.  No way I'm stopping that kind of money, but it would be super cool to see how much more I'm actually doing with my right leg.  I know it's dominant, it's just a question of how much.

Yeah, and apparently the power balance changes depending on how hard you're going also, which is another cool thing to track.  Some power meters can even give you "pedaling smoothness" metric that shows how well you apply power through the full power stroke.  SO MUCH DATA!

I'm such an engineering dork. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1691 on: September 12, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »

Yeah, and apparently the power balance changes depending on how hard you're going also, which is another cool thing to track.  Some power meters can even give you "pedaling smoothness" metric that shows how well you apply power through the full power stroke.  SO MUCH DATA!

I'm such an engineering dork.
No need to fret--you're surrounded by your own kind here.

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #1692 on: September 12, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
An Uuni v3 pizza oven. 

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #1693 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »

Looking for anything specific? 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1694 on: September 13, 2018, 03:51:18 AM »
An Uuni v3 pizza oven.

Check out QVC. They have three different models with 3, 5 and 6 monthly payments. Or I see they will finance it thru Synchrony bank for something like a year and no finance charges if paid off in full at that time.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1695 on: September 13, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
I was at hardware store the other day and they are selling Big Green Egg grill. I have always want one...  Nevermind that I just bought a huge hardly used Weber grill at yard sale a few months ago. I should be set for the next 10 years with that Weber.

Dangit... I may have to add Uuni v3 into my want list...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:20:38 AM by sequoia »

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1696 on: September 14, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
My friends are all rich (or some of them anyway) so I get exposed to luxury. Sometimes I crave them. Like a stupid Cartier Juste un clou bracelet of which my best gay friend has 2!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:14:00 PM by brooklynmoney »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1697 on: September 14, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
I am lusting after my move to Paris that was supposed to happen two weeks ago!  I'm studying French, I'm packing my bags, I'm surfing the internet for places to live and jogging trails....  Something tells me that I will be happier long term in Europe or having a working knowledge thereof.  I may either quit my job upon returning to the US, because I know how to game that system with having no income (FAFSA, transferring a 401k, and ACA), or I might be inspired to purchase real estate abroad.  There is a bracing refreshment from living with locals abroad.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1698 on: September 18, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »

I fear it will distract me from the simple pleasure of just riding my bike.

I took the computer off the handle bars and it improved my enjoyment of the ride immensely. I just start Strava, throw the phone in my jersey pocket and forget about it.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #1699 on: September 18, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
a peloton bike