Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1296523 times)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1600 on: July 27, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
My current flavor of the week/day/hour - this bad mofo of a truck. So stupid and anti mustachianananananann though...
https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck

bad on gas. expensive, possibly going to depreciate like a rock, reliability is shaky at best. But it can go off some sweet jumps and get me stuck farther in the mountains than my ranger can ! haha

It does have more room. Would be better in the snow - it never snows enough here in denver to justify 4wd though... Meh.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:08:55 PM by Kevin S. »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: July 31, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
A Windstone dragon sculpture.  Several hundred dollars for a glorified paperweight, but I've wanted one since I was a kid, and someone just reminded me that they exist, and I found someone selling off a collection that has the exact statue I was longing for as a teenager, which has since been discontinued... must... resist...

I just googled that and WANT.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1602 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:11 AM »
A Subaru Brat. ::::: Eye rolls into infinity :::::

*Still want those WuTang Socks I mentioned last year.  Lol.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1603 on: August 01, 2018, 02:24:43 AM »

If you've been lusting after a pair of socks for a year, I think you're probably okay to buy them.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: August 01, 2018, 04:27:41 AM »
A Windstone dragon sculpture.  Several hundred dollars for a glorified paperweight, but I've wanted one since I was a kid, and someone just reminded me that they exist, and I found someone selling off a collection that has the exact statue I was longing for as a teenager, which has since been discontinued... must... resist...

I just googled that and WANT.

Sorry :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1605 on: August 01, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
To have NOT sold my $100k's worth of Apple stock I bought in 2008...:)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1606 on: August 02, 2018, 06:00:50 AM »
Lol, realistically, I should spend my money elsewhere or not at all. 
They're likely poorly made, they're a little kitschy, cut for a mans/larger foot, and they're like $15 for a pair of socks.  That doesn't mean I don't want them though.  Ha.
If I can't overcome that lust, hope might be lost for me.

If you've been lusting after a pair of socks for a year, I think you're probably okay to buy them.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1607 on: August 02, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
Not sure if it rises to the level of 'lust' (yet), but I've been checking out the Burley Travoy bike trailer.  Trailers with hub mounts (including the one I already own that was used for carting kids around when they were a bit smaller) don't work well with my hub motor e-bike, plus space is at a premium in my garage.  I've had a few errands recently where I wanted to take the bike, but had to take the car due to cargo-carrying issues.  Theoretically, this trailer might also enable bike grocery trips.  I'd have to take grocery duties off of my wife's hands. 

So, I can justify it...but it's still $250 plus.  Also not 100% sure I could make the mounting work since I have a suspension seat post.  There's some room to attach, but I have a rear rack bag that's probably in the way; I'd like to keep it in place and would be a bit of a chore to remove every time I wanted to use the trailer. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1608 on: August 02, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
The Apple stock I sold for a 20% profit in 2008...:(

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #1609 on: August 02, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
Talk about stupid things....

DH very nearly convinced me to buy a nearly-new Ford Transit van to use as a family carrier and camper-van. This would cost at least $25K up front, not to mention the annual cost to operate. This would liquidate 100% of our car replacement fund, which sits at about $6k right now (our 2 existing vehicles are ooooold and v. high mileage), and then tack on a big fat loan.

He claims he'd use it for business at least 50% of the time, so it can also be a partial tax write-off. So, like, practically free, right?

Help me stay strong, MMM forum.

We could extend our camping season into the cold months!
Yes, but for the cost we could easily rent cottages, airbnbs, or even a very similar camper van until the kids are old enough to camp in the cold.

It would be great for business! Haul all the gear!
For a lot less, you could rent a truck for the times when you need to haul stuff into the boonies.

So fun!
But debt.

BobMueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1610 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:34 PM »
Talk about stupid things....

DH very nearly convinced me to buy a nearly-new Ford Transit van to use as a family carrier and camper-van. This would cost at least $25K up front, not to mention the annual cost to operate. This would liquidate 100% of our car replacement fund, which sits at about $6k right now (our 2 existing vehicles are ooooold and v. high mileage), and then tack on a big fat loan.

He claims he'd use it for business at least 50% of the time, so it can also be a partial tax write-off. So, like, practically free, right?

Help me stay strong, MMM forum.

We could extend our camping season into the cold months!
Yes, but for the cost we could easily rent cottages, airbnbs, or even a very similar camper van until the kids are old enough to camp in the cold.

It would be great for business! Haul all the gear!
For a lot less, you could rent a truck for the times when you need to haul stuff into the boonies.

So fun!
But debt.
I was just about to reply w the same answer, but the 4x4 mercedes 24 ft diesel (60k). Same write-off (it's actually 100% purchase price + 100% bonus depreciation, so for a 60k van, total deduction could be 100k, which could save between 25-35k off.

Keep lusting, I think it's a great value for lifestyle, cost, future-proof (biodiesel should replace diesel) and longevity (500k+ miles in a diesel engine). Nothing wrong with exploring the great outdoors.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #1611 on: August 03, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Dammit, BobMueller, you are NOT HELPING!

Turns out DH has been on the phone with a seller already this AM.

BobMueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1612 on: August 03, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »

Tax cut changes to 50% bonus in 2023, so act fast...

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1613 on: August 03, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »

Bonus depreciation does not mean that you get to expense more than the purchase price of the item. It only allows you to expense a greater percentage of asset in the period placed in service.  This only accelerates your deductions, instead of amortizing over the MACRS life of the asset. 

In essence, this only changes the period you're paying taxes, not reducing them overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavechild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1614 on: August 03, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
Also a Porsche Cayman.  Can't decide if I want the older air-cooled 6 or the newer Turbo 4.  Crazy purchase as it will be my daily driver.

BobMueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1615 on: August 03, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »

Bonus depreciation does not mean that you get to expense more than the purchase price of the item. It only allows you to expense a greater percentage of asset in the period placed in service.  This only accelerates your deductions, instead of amortizing over the MACRS life of the asset. 

In essence, this only changes the period you're paying taxes, not reducing them overall.

Well still a 100% deduction could be 25K off a 60K vehicle for some people. This is a vehicle with extremely high utility (a long-range complement to an electric car, a 20MPG vehicle that can easily last 500k miles, a future-proof biodiesel burner, a massive cargo hauler). I'd argue for a small subset of the population that can afford it, and uses it wisely, it's mustachian.

SupersavingMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #1616 on: August 03, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
😍

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1617 on: August 03, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »

Well still a 100% deduction could be 25K off a 60K vehicle for some people. This is a vehicle with extremely high utility (a long-range complement to an electric car, a 20MPG vehicle that can easily last 500k miles, a future-proof biodiesel burner, a massive cargo hauler). I'd argue for a small subset of the population that can afford it, and uses it wisely, it's mustachian.

No disagreement there. This is the lust thread after all.  Just wanted to get the bonus depreciation point clarified in case someone was going to buy a business asset.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1618 on: August 03, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Probably only kinda stupid to lust after it...

BobMueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1619 on: August 03, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »

No disagreement there. This is the lust thread after all.  Just wanted to get the bonus depreciation point clarified in case someone was going to buy a business asset.

Knowledge & reason in the "lust" thread is never unwelcome.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1620 on: August 03, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
Also a Porsche Cayman.  Can't decide if I want the older air-cooled 6 or the newer Turbo 4.  Crazy purchase as it will be my daily driver.

There was never an air-cooled version of the Porsche Cayman. I believe the last air-cooled Porsche was the 1998 911 (993). You really can't go wrong with any year of Cayman though.

My wife commutes with our Porsche Cayman and is extremely happy with it. Come check out my journal if you're interested in reading more about it.

politenessman

• Stubble
  • http://techtofi.com/
    • Blogging our progress from disaster to FI
« Reply #1621 on: August 04, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »
I have a few things on my lust list. One of these days I want to get a telescope. I haven't looked to see what sort I want yet because I know, once I do start digging into it, its game over.
I also want a small armoured vehicle - for some reason and I don't know what it is, I just love the idea of a small armoured vehicle to play with. I guess deep down inside I am still an 8 year old boy.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1622 on: August 05, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
This is stupid, but I really want new bedding. I've had the same comforter since college (10 years old) and it's from Target, super bad quality, it has a huge rip in it, and honestly it's just really ugly too. I'm not a "home decor" type of person, I don't decorate or anything, but it makes me feel bad when I look at my room. Now that there is a giant hole in it, I feel like I am allowed to replace it, but I still feel like it's a stupid thing to want! I have been spending a lot of time in bed lately with one surgery down, and one to go in a month, so I think it's part of my "I want to have a place that is comfortable, and inviting to spend so much time in" but it also just feels like one of those things people justify so they can spend tons of money on home furnishings/decor.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1623 on: August 05, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
This is stupid, but I really want new bedding. I've had the same comforter since college (10 years old) and it's from Target, super bad quality, it has a huge rip in it, and honestly it's just really ugly too. I'm not a "home decor" type of person, I don't decorate or anything, but it makes me feel bad when I look at my room. Now that there is a giant hole in it, I feel like I am allowed to replace it, but I still feel like it's a stupid thing to want! I have been spending a lot of time in bed lately with one surgery down, and one to go in a month, so I think it's part of my "I want to have a place that is comfortable, and inviting to spend so much time in" but it also just feels like one of those things people justify so they can spend tons of money on home furnishings/decor.

It is time to replace this rag of a comforter! You have gotten your money's worth and then some! Go to Bed Bath and Beyond or on line and find yourself a 20% off coupon. If not Bed Bath and Beyond shop elsewhere. Maybe you can find some good  sales this time of year when kids are returning to college, they buy lots of bedding this time of year and there are probably all kinds of sales right now. Try Kohl's, Target, Walmart. You could even look on ebay for some bargains. This is not a stupid lust, it is a need! My other suggestion would be if you want to be super frugal would to find a cheap duvet you can stuff your comforter into and zip it up inside. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duvet-Cover-and-Shams-Set-Microfiber-3-Piece-Queen-Size-Wine-Red-Color/291883038165?epid=1281164044&hash=item43f595b5d5%3Ag%3AMhwAAOSw-itXuh9-&_sop=15&_pgn=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=duvet+queen+size&_from=R40&rt=nc

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1624 on: August 05, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
When you wash the comforter with a huge rip in it, won't it get further damaged? The rip gets bigger, the stuffing comes out. Ain't nobody got time for that! I don't think it's stupid to replace something that has lost its functionality. Places like Ross and TJ Maxx sell comforters pretty cheap. I've also seen lots of nice comforters at Goodwill.

ikonomore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1625 on: August 05, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
Places like Ross and TJ Maxx sell comforters pretty cheap. I've also seen lots of nice comforters at Goodwill.

This is something you should buy brand new.  Mine is from Ikea and it was only like $30.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1626 on: August 05, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
When you wash the comforter with a huge rip in it, won't it get further damaged? The rip gets bigger, the stuffing comes out. Ain't nobody got time for that! I don't think it's stupid to replace something that has lost its functionality. Places like Ross and TJ Maxx sell comforters pretty cheap. I've also seen lots of nice comforters at Goodwill.

I agree, seen some decent comforters and have donated them to Goodwill myself.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1627 on: August 07, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
New "fancy" underwear. I've had the same pairs since before kids, (my kids are 11 & 12) & they have seen better days. I've priced out replacement pairs for what I want, and it's a lot. I can get a more questionable version on Amazon for $10 for a 6 pack. I kind of want to save some of my flex money & splurge.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1628 on: August 07, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »
I am lusting after everthing that this company sells.  Any tips on saving when shopping for high quality linen?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1629 on: August 07, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »
New "fancy" underwear. I've had the same pairs since before kids, (my kids are 11 & 12) & they have seen better days. I've priced out replacement pairs for what I want, and it's a lot. I can get a more questionable version on Amazon for $10 for a 6 pack. I kind of want to save some of my flex money & splurge.

No new underwear in 12 years? There's frugal and then there is suffering. :( I'm not sure what "fancy" is for you but for me it's underwear that is not from Target or sold in a multi-pack. A couple years ago I needed new underwear (time to give up the maternity underwear considering my youngest was 6 then) and I decided to try an actual underwear store. I really like the ones I got from Soma, the vanishing edge ones is particular. But if you don't want to be that fancy, I've found underwear I like a lot from Target.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1630 on: August 07, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »

No new underwear in 12 years? There's frugal and then there is suffering. :( I'm not sure what "fancy" is for you but for me it's underwear that is not from Target or sold in a multi-pack. A couple years ago I needed new underwear (time to give up the maternity underwear considering my youngest was 6 then) and I decided to try an actual underwear store. I really like the ones I got from Soma, the vanishing edge ones is particular. But if you don't want to be that fancy, I've found underwear I like a lot from Target.

@Freckles - I used to be a spendypants, so I had plenty of underwear to rotate through as some needed to be tossed. Also, shout out to the manufacturers (in this case, Hanky Panky) for lasting this long & being awesome & not falling apart. But, $22/pair for current replacements? No way. I'm thinking of the Victoria's Secret option, which I've also tried. There is a very specific cut/fabric that I want to replace my previous ones. Otherwise. . . wedgies.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: August 07, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
The vanishing edge ones by Soma don't cause wedgies. They have this grippy stuff on the edges that sticks to your skin and nothing rides up up. I don't remember how much they are, I don't think as much a $22 a pair, but not exactly cheap either. Maybe the have some coupons or deals for first time orders? I think that's probably how I decided it was acceptable.

OK, I checked. I got pretty basic ones that are $16 each, but they have a "buy 3, get 2 free" deal, so they come out to $9.60 each. Not bad. They've held up well for me so far, and I'm not nice to them. Washer, dryer, no special care. https://www.soma.com/store/product/vanishing+edge+microfiber+hipster/560000792?color=001&catId=cat4200004
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:15:16 PM by Freckles »

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #1632 on: August 08, 2018, 06:39:42 AM »
This !!!!

Love that you can beach them as well.
https://southerlyyachts.com/images/38/nivo/275.jpg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:41:17 AM by Abe Froman »

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1633 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
A giant, blow-up Halloween Dragon!  I saw one on display (already?!?) through the window of Old-Time Pottery when I drove by.  I also want a Christmas version.  But reality sets in, and besides having nowhere to store it my neighbors blow-up decorations have been stolen/vandalized over the years, so I will keep my money and admire them from afar.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #1634 on: August 08, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
Ok, since I see some Porsches and boats, I'll play...

A Chanel handbag, an Hermes scarf, a Louis Vuitton coin purse, and a Gucci wallet. (I fell down a big YouTube luxury hole...which is why I'm back on the MMM forum, trying to get my head straight!)

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #1635 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #1636 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.

Oooh, I JUST did this! Except I don't have the budget for All-clad, but someone in the Choose FI facebook group recommended a set through Walmart that was America's Test Kitchen approved and it's been SO NICE to put away the peeling nonstick pans and re-learn to cook on stainless. (It's what I grew up with.) I love using metal utensils again. And it's super satisfying to scrub them back to shiny after cooking on them. In fact, it was cooking on a stainless skillet this summer at an AirBnB that made me go back to them!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1637 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
At the moment, I'm lusting after two things:
1) A two-post lift to make it easier to work on our cars.  It would cost about $2,000.  My car is worth *maybe* $800.
2) Flight instruction and my own airplane(s).  At least three planes, to be specific: an ultralight for just sightseeing around the area, a bush plane (KitFox? Cub? I don't know) for going off the beaten path, and an RV-10 for cross-country flying.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #1638 on: August 09, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
A used Porsche Panamera.  It's funny because they're popping up on the adds on this forum every time I sign in too. My wife keeps telling me to get one but just haven't been able to make the leap yet.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1639 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
A used Porsche Panamera.  It's funny because they're popping up on the adds on this forum every time I sign in too. My wife keeps telling me to get one but just haven't been able to make the leap yet.

Looks like the cheapest ones are about $25-30k on Autotrader. They were $90k+ when new, so quite a discount now.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #1640 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »

Looks like the cheapest ones are about $25-30k on Autotrader. They were $90k+ when new, so quite a discount now.

Yeah, I've been casually looking for months.  That's why they pop up on adds anywhere on the internet for me.  Most I see under 50k miles can be had for about $35k with AWD.  Don't want just rear wheel drive.  If it was a choice of front wheel or AWD drive I would be happy with front wheel.

I like white with black wheels. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1641 on: August 24, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
I am very close to pulling trigger, and I can't seem to talk myself out of it, is getting a ring made for 900. I already have the stones. The past couple years have sold some things and also scrimped to set aside the money in cash for the ring. It's something I'm planning to wear every day. 

At the same time I'm newly divorced. Money is tight, and savings account is low. Soon synthetic diamonds are going to flood the market so while the ring will have cost me X, it's resale value will be x. The financially logical decision is obvious, but I don't want to pull the plug on my project. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1642 on: August 24, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »

Nonstick is not needed for all applications. All my pots and pans are inexpensive stainless steel, with a couple exceptions.  I do have a small nonstick pan which i use for cooking eggs that I replace periodically, and a nonstick "griddle" for pancakes. I also have a hand me down heavy cast iron skillet, which is really useful and essentially non-stick. While it is certainly prettier than what I'm using, I'm not sold that more expensive cookware = better.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #1643 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »

Nonstick is not needed for all applications. All my pots and pans are inexpensive stainless steel, with a couple exceptions.  I do have a small nonstick pan which i use for cooking eggs that I replace periodically, and a nonstick "griddle" for pancakes. I also have a hand me down heavy cast iron skillet, which is really useful and essentially non-stick. While it is certainly prettier than what I'm using, I'm not sold that more expensive cookware = better.

You can often find cast iron stuff at thrift stores for pretty cheap. Lasts forever and great to cook with. We also have invested in some new  blue steel pans that have similar no-stick properties to traditional teflon-coated cookware without the carcinogens. They were pricier than the cast iron, but if properly cared for, should last forever.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1644 on: August 24, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
The cast iron skillet I have is hand me down and in awesome shape. I think you are better off finding at an estate sale, etc an old skillet even if rusty, and re-conditioning it, than a newer bumpy cast iron skillet.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:06:36 PM by partgypsy »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1645 on: August 24, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »

I haven't lusted after anything lately, but I recently saw a log home on 9 acres with some good distance between the two  neighboring homes, nice privacy from trees, no railroad tracks within miles, no airport within 15 miles, and situated at the end of a long private drive from a lightly traveled rural blacktop road.  Nice size rooms, plus a basement, and an attached 2 car garage.   I couldn't help but lust after it, but it's nowhere near where I live currently, and I'm not sure it will even fit my uncertain FIRE plans for next year, not to mention being "more house" than I need, even though I could afford it.  It doesn't cost me anything to dream, though.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1646 on: August 24, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »

You can often find cast iron stuff at thrift stores for pretty cheap. Lasts forever and great to cook with. We also have invested in some new  blue steel pans that have similar no-stick properties to traditional teflon-coated cookware without the carcinogens. They were pricier than the cast iron, but if properly cared for, should last forever.

Is this what your blue steel looks like?

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1647 on: August 24, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

Kawasaki h2 sx se - 200 hp sport touring motorcycle ! Fast and comfortable, supercharged from the factory. Oh how i would love to have it one. Does it make any kind of sense in anyway shape or form - absolutely freaking not ! haha

Terrible idea is terrible but maybe one day when i have alot of FU money i will buy one.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1648 on: August 27, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »

Agreed.  I find places like Marshals will have nice undies for a much lower cost.  I have found some good stuff for $6-$10 a pair that normally goes for $20-$25.   There are certain things I splurge on.  Toilet paper and decent underwear are on that list.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: August 27, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »

I have been using cast iron which you can get cheap at walmart.  When properly seasoned I can easily cook eggs with cheese and it is non stick. The only benefit I see from steel is that it is lighter than cast iron.