Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287956 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1500 on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »
I want this tent thing that attaches to the roof of your car in the worst way. It costs more than our car. But it's awesome.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp Does anybody have this thing? It looks so cool.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1501 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
I want this tent thing that attaches to the roof of your car in the worst way. It costs more than our car. But it's awesome.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp Does anybody have this thing? It looks so cool.

There are a lot of those at varying price points:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/should-i-buy-a-rooftop-tent/
http://www.theadventureportal.com/taps-roof-top-tent-buyers-guide/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1502 on: June 03, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
I am not an outdoorsy type person but that Kamper thing is really cool if you are into camping!

I'd say go for it, you will have the time of your life! Sell some junk on Craigslist and Ebay to pay for it!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1503 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

THANKS!! Will research now.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1504 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

THANKS!! Will research now.

They have many pros and many cons. If you want to chat about it, feel free to shoot me a PM.

The thing that attracted me to rooftop tents was the quick setup, but I don't use it often enough to leave it on my roof all the time. They're also heavy and bulky and difficult to store.  Given that setup/takedown time was my biggest issue with normal tents, I bought a Malamoo Mega 3 second tent. Setup starts at the 30 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNOI-lnuuC4

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1505 on: June 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
Just read the Wirecutter article, which dumped a bucket of cold water on the whole rooftop tent plan. Totally not something we should invest in--we live in Hawaii and car camp about three times a year.

However, now I'm wondering if you can rent those things for road trip/car camping long haul vacations on the mainland. I've priced out RV rentals and they don't make sense, in my opinion. But a rooftop tent might be great under such circumstances...if you could rent it for less than a hotel would cost/night.

Maybe just something I'll drool over on Instagram.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1506 on: June 03, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Just read the Wirecutter article, which dumped a bucket of cold water on the whole rooftop tent plan. Totally not something we should invest in--we live in Hawaii and car camp about three times a year.

However, now I'm wondering if you can rent those things for road trip/car camping long haul vacations on the mainland. I've priced out RV rentals and they don't make sense, in my opinion. But a rooftop tent might be great under such circumstances...if you could rent it for less than a hotel would cost/night.

For three times a year, consider something like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11662183-coleman-longs-peak-6-person-10-x10-fast-pitch-dome-tent-49-free-shipping?v=1

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1507 on: June 03, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
Currently lusting over about ~$20K worth of asphalt and labor to pave our road. That or a little 4WD tractor with a front loader and a hoe (we already have the scrape blade). If  we can find a used tractor under $10K, we might go for it.  Not sure it's stupid, though it is stupid how much it will cost. Husband is not getting any younger, and manual driveway maintenence is not getting any easier. I'm useless on that project except for carrying water because of injuries and size.

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1508 on: June 04, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
I'm wanting a new stereo. I'm lusting after a (modest?) $166 bookshelf stereo (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XHCQGK/?coliid=IQBPEJ5FE37KY&colid=1P8HOZA7AZVL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). My stereo speakers are all crackly and fade in and out from left to right. I have no shortage of hearing music/tv/movie... but damn a new stereo would be nice!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:49 AM »
Ha.  I'll take your $1m house and raise you this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3840-Pleasant-Ridge-Rd-Boulder-CO-80301/147274601_zpid/?fullpage=true

$9m to live just inside Boulder County, CO, by a lake and just over 100 acres of public open space.  I zero percent would need anything this fancy ever, but I do love the colors and the wood.  I know in 10 years it's probably going to be one of those weird trendy houses that look incredibly dated (country blue and mauve, I'm looking at you!), but right now, I think it's gorgeous.  Kind of a modern Frank Lloyd Wright look.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1510 on: June 05, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
So fancy! Looks like a really fun place to rent for a family reunion. The exterior wasn't doing much for me (I read mcmansionhell too much and even though this one isn't a blight, it's still...massive. Four car garage?!) but I liked the interior a lot.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1511 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
$175 pair of black dress pants that fit me like a glove and make me feel as though I can conquer the world

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1512 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Ha.  I'll take your $1m house and raise you this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3840-Pleasant-Ridge-Rd-Boulder-CO-80301/147274601_zpid/?fullpage=true

$9m to live just inside Boulder County, CO, by a lake and just over 100 acres of public open space.  I zero percent would need anything this fancy ever, but I do love the colors and the wood.  I know in 10 years it's probably going to be one of those weird trendy houses that look incredibly dated (country blue and mauve, I'm looking at you!), but right now, I think it's gorgeous.  Kind of a modern Frank Lloyd Wright look.

YES. I live in Boulder, but gosh, nowhere this deluxe..... maybe if I increase my already extravagant housing budget by approximately 18x?
But seriously though, let's all count our blessings on not having to clean this place... Or furnish it, for that matter. I try to remember that when I lust after these.

What is my most irrational desire? A gorgeous, sizable diamond ring. No joke.
Quite possibly the most functionally useless, over-marketed, waste of money, usually subtly-sexist, racket in the world. (Edited to add: lots of ways to do diamond marriage jewelry in a Mustachian way. Don't want to hurt the feelings of gorgeous diamond owners. It's just - I like them bold and with boldness comes astronomical prices.)
But...vintage ones...ah. (For the record, happily married with a more mustachian symbolic piece of jewelry, but maybe start a collection?)

But in actuality, I splurged on raspberries at the store this week, so that's where we're at. And happily so. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:52:42 AM by bocopro »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1513 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind a big fat diamond myself. But, like you, I won't be running out and buying one. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Sparkly is pretty.

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1514 on: June 05, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind a big fat diamond myself. But, like you, I won't be running out and buying one. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Sparkly is pretty.

Ha! Glad it's not silly. Not like, Paris Hilton big, but ... visible. Diamonds (and other crystal structures) are just so structurally and geologically interesting!
Anyway -want a diamond for nerdy reasons, I guess? :)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1515 on: June 05, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »
Ugh, I gave into buying something I've been lusting after lately, which is a really cute sun protection shirt. I'm outside tons, and my dermatologist has been scolding me about how much time I spend out in the garden in tank tops, and sitting in the river, swimming outside, etc...so I'm counting it as a "preventative health" part of my budget. But still I'm embarassed at how expensive it was.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1516 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
Ugh, I gave into buying something I've been lusting after lately, which is a really cute sun protection shirt. I'm outside tons, and my dermatologist has been scolding me about how much time I spend out in the garden in tank tops, and sitting in the river, swimming outside, etc...so I'm counting it as a "preventative health" part of my budget. But still I'm embarassed at how expensive it was.

My husband wants a light-weight sun shirt with a hood for fishing, and he wants a Patagonia one.  It's like $80.  However, I am on a quest to try to buy clothes only from companies with ethical supply chains, and Patagonia is on the list, so...I guess I can't really argue?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1517 on: June 06, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
That's actually the one I got, it's Patagonia, and it was around that price (about $15 cheaper)...I'm with you on the ethical supply chains, as well, so I always go to Patagonia first. I just didn't *really* need this, you know, though I know I will use it tons. Hopefully I will overcome the guilt in a few days haha

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1518 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
The last time I found a pair of hiking boots that I liked, I noticed that Amazon had significantly dropped the price so I bought a second pair about a year before my first pair wore out and just left them in my closet until the first pair bit the dust. If you find something you really like, it may be worth buying two pair so you don't have to go through this as often!
This. i often stock up on clothes and shoes that fit perfectly during sales so that i can just replace them as they wear out. that way i can wear my favourites for years. glad to find someone else who thinks the same way.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1519 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
A brand new red/blue/white 2 or 2+2 seater convertible. Either a Mazda Miata/MX-5 or Ford Mustang GT 5.0 V8. Just walk in, drop cash, walk out with keys.

I could afford to buy both in cash today. It's a want, not a need.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1520 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
A brand new red/blue/white 2 or 2+2 seater convertible. Either a Mazda Miata/MX-5 or Ford Mustang GT 5.0 V8. Just walk in, drop cash, walk out with keys.

I love the design of the new Miata, looks really sharp. It's pretty much the only option for a cheap and lightweight sports car these days too.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #1521 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

I love the design of the new Miata, looks really sharp. It's pretty much the only option for a cheap and lightweight sports car these days too.

I have a 1999 Miata and it's really my prized asset. I made a vow to never buy another car again and i've so far stuck to it. I only drive it about 6 weeks a year in the summer, but it's wonderful.

I too love the newest Miata. My neighbor bought one so i get the benefit of seeing it out my window every day without the payments or other headaches of actually owning it. :D

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1522 on: June 06, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
That's actually the one I got, it's Patagonia, and it was around that price (about $15 cheaper)...I'm with you on the ethical supply chains, as well, so I always go to Patagonia first. I just didn't *really* need this, you know, though I know I will use it tons. Hopefully I will overcome the guilt in a few days haha

@mountain mustache What other companies do you like?  I'm still searching so my entire wardrobe doesn't end up being Patagonia clothes :)

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1523 on: June 06, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
Nice, now I want a Miata.

I think at about T minus one year before FIRE we are going to get a Wrangler and a small RV trailer (within the towing capacity), plus something sporty for my hot wife to drive.  Like a Miata.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1524 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »

Cheaper than dealing with skin cancer. I'm glad you bought it!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1525 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »

@mountain mustache What other companies do you like?  I'm still searching so my entire wardrobe doesn't end up being Patagonia clothes :)

Honestly, Patagonia is the best company I've found, at least for the apparel I like to wear...but, I can't always buy $$$ clothes, and also not all of their clothing fits me super well. My kind of guideline is that if I need something, I always look for it used first. And I only buy used clothing from smaller, outdoor industry brands that I know a little more about. I don't think anyone does as good a job as Patagonia, but buying used clothing is still helpful, I think. If I can't find something I want used, I try to buy it from Patagonia. I literally never buy clothing (even used) from giant companies like Old navy, the Gap, or Forever 21, etc...I'm lucky that I work in the outdoor industry, so wearing "sportier" clothing all the time is kind of the thing everyone does, so I get away with wearing hiking clothes to work all the time haha.  My little small town in the mountains also has a great consignment clothing scene, so I get tons of used Patagonia, Prana, Ex Officio, Ibex, etc...for next to nothing.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #1526 on: June 07, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »

Honestly, Patagonia is the best company I've found, at least for the apparel I like to wear...but, I can't always buy $$$ clothes, and also not all of their clothing fits me super well. My kind of guideline is that if I need something, I always look for it used first. And I only buy used clothing from smaller, outdoor industry brands that I know a little more about. I don't think anyone does as good a job as Patagonia, but buying used clothing is still helpful, I think. If I can't find something I want used, I try to buy it from Patagonia. I literally never buy clothing (even used) from giant companies like Old navy, the Gap, or Forever 21, etc...I'm lucky that I work in the outdoor industry, so wearing "sportier" clothing all the time is kind of the thing everyone does, so I get away with wearing hiking clothes to work all the time haha.  My little small town in the mountains also has a great consignment clothing scene, so I get tons of used Patagonia, Prana, Ex Officio, Ibex, etc...for next to nothing.

Check sites like GearTrade for used Patagonia clothing! I have gotten a number of Patagonia and other outdoors-y items from there. eBay is good too. Remember, Patagonia will repair any item you send to them, regardless of how old it is or whether or not you were the original buyer.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1527 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
So I recently got a job in a really cool place with access to EPIC level mountain biking that's ride-able from my front door.  The bummer is that I currently live in a place with only okay mountain biking, so I optimized my bicycle portfolio to only include a 5-year old 29er carbon hardtail for mountain biking purposes and it's not exactly ideal for the chunky gnar gnar and epic 'sends I'll encounter in the new locale.

I really want a Santa Cruz Tallboy 3.  29er wheels, and the standard XT build is good for me.  Even if I sold my hardtail, I'd still have to come up with about $2500 to make the Tallboy 3 happen.  My friends say that I should have negotiated a "mountain bike allowance" into my relocation package, I'm starting to agree!

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/tallboy

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1528 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
I don't think that's a stupid thing to lust after. When you live somewhere that is "ride out the door to amazing trails" it is worth it to have nice bikes. I live in a small town in the mountains of Colorado, and I own 2 super nice mountain bikes that I ride almost every day. It's a passion, and it's worth having good equipment to fully enjoy the experience. I ride on my lunch breaks, in the morning before work, all weekend, etc...everyone does who lives in such great places. I say, save up the money and get the bike!

Kott308

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1529 on: June 11, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
The new Winnebago Revel RV. It’s just so much excess for a class B RV, but the engineering is just downright beautiful. No plans to upgrade from the current tent/sleeping bag vacation package, but it’s still fun to look at.

Saving4Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1530 on: June 12, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
In the 5-10 year time frame due to my wife's career we may need a modest 2nd home in a different state.  This sent me on a quest to find something today, which makes zero sense.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1531 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »

For three times a year, consider something like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11662183-coleman-longs-peak-6-person-10-x10-fast-pitch-dome-tent-49-free-shipping?v=1

This is the tent we bought last summer. It made it through a couple of northern Michigan summer storms just fine, and the little screen porch is big enough for a couple of camp chairs (nice for coffee drinking in the morning when you're not ready to douse yourself in bug spray).

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-STEEL-CREEK-6-PERSON-SCREEN/dp/B00S57UU7S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1528837591&sr=8-8&keywords=coleman+screened+tent

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #1532 on: June 12, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
outdoor shower - fancy vinyl fence and leftover composite decking for the floor -
I was going to put plumbing in for hot & cold water but instead going to go with a solar outdoor shower for fraction of the cost.
All told about $1500. We have an above ground pool and all bathrooms are on 2nd floor of our colonial house so between showering before and after the pool and working outside around yard I figure it will get some good use.

seattleite

• Stubble
« Reply #1533 on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
$150 key caps for my keyboard. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1534 on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
I really want a drone.  Like really really.  But I know from experience I would play with it for about two weeks.

The only "toy" I've ever lusted over and kept using was a home squat rack/bars/weights.  Nothing else.  But I've bought lots of stuff in the past that I never used after the excitement.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #1535 on: June 13, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
I really want a drone.  Like really really.  But I know from experience I would play with it for about two weeks.

The only "toy" I've ever lusted over and kept using was a home squat rack/bars/weights.  Nothing else.  But I've bought lots of stuff in the past that I never used after the excitement.

Buy a drone from someone else who is already sick of it and then sell it on once you are too?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1536 on: June 17, 2018, 05:06:04 AM »
A ticket to Indonesia. Friends of mine are going in September and I want to join so so so badly.

Indonesia is cheap once you're there. Why not go?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1537 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:36 AM »
Some things are once in a lifetime. You should cobble together some money and go with your friends. My Hub and I got a free trip to Jamaica in 1974. It was last minute and we only had two days to prepare to go on it. We went for a week and it was our first exotic vacation. I will never forget it and it was a million years ago! We had never even been to Florida or any place with palm trees. It was glorious! Don't let this opportunity slip thru your fingers!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1538 on: June 17, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
Currently lusting over about ~$20K worth of asphalt and labor to pave our road. That or a little 4WD tractor with a front loader and a hoe (we already have the scrape blade). If  we can find a used tractor under $10K, we might go for it.  Not sure it's stupid, though it is stupid how much it will cost. Husband is not getting any younger, and manual driveway maintenence is not getting any easier. I'm useless on that project except for carrying water because of injuries and size.

Update: the new quote on paving is not $20K but $50K. Still seeking other quotes (I hate contractors who won't call back), but my lust does not run that deep, and we're looking more seriously at tractors.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1539 on: June 27, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »
A 3diamonds/yellow gold ring.
Jewelry is so pointless, so expensive and so, so tempting!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1540 on: June 27, 2018, 08:20:52 AM »

If you do get jewelry at some point, consider moissanite and also read this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1541 on: June 27, 2018, 08:23:39 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

My husband is a goldsmith, so please stop sharing these sensible ideas.
Also, we work closely with gemmologists, so anything fake gets spotted quickly, and is not really good for our business.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1542 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »

Also, we work closely with gemmologists, so anything fake gets spotted quickly, and is not really good for our business.

If you're familiar with De Beers and still have no ethical problems with the diamond industry, then I have nothing left to say.  The cultural attraction to diamonds is itself fake and the product of a massive advertising campaign to manufacture interest in a monopolized industry.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1543 on: June 27, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »

If you're familiar with De Beers and still have no ethical problems with the diamond industry, then I have nothing left to say.  The cultural attraction to diamonds is itself fake and the product of a massive advertising campaign to manufacture interest in a monopolized industry.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of diamonds on our market are extracted here in Canada.
Still pointless shiny rocks tho, I am aware of that, that's why I know my lust for them is stupid.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1544 on: June 27, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »

For what it's worth, the vast majority of diamonds on our market are extracted here in Canada.
Still pointless shiny rocks tho, I am aware of that, that's why I know my lust for them is stupid.

Gold mostly is, too, and it's in the neighborhood of 40% of Canadian mining production. Blows my mind a little that so much effort is put into something with such little real use so people can put it around their necks and fingers. *shrug*

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1545 on: June 27, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »

Gold mostly is, too, and it's in the neighborhood of 40% of Canadian mining production. Blows my mind a little that so much effort is put into something with such little real use so people can put it around their necks and fingers. *shrug*

Yeap. When I met DH I had some qualms about dating a guy involve in the most pointlessly polluting industry I could conceive, but he's pretty awesome, so I gave him a chance. Glad I did!
I actually took some gemmology classes myself, and the idea of how some things are stupidly expensive just because we collectively decided so, when they are, in fact, just pretty pebbles, was mind-blowing at times.
Also, there was a sort of... colonialist vibe to it. We'd see pictures of young brown men in mining clothes offering emeralds to the camera, or pearls in the hands of pretty Pacific girls... I was surprised about how no one else seemed bothered by it.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1546 on: June 28, 2018, 12:01:45 AM »
Gold is pretty useful. I like my electronics. They've figured out how to use much less gold in modern cpu, but older ones can have quite a bit. The Pentium Pro had the most of anything fairly common weighing in at about 1g of gold per chip.

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #1547 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
Living in an apartment with no outdoor space in a city with high food costs, and I'm sick to death of buying wilted greens with probably near-zero nutritional value in local groceries.  And electricity is included in maintenance :-).   So I'm really, really wanting to get some serious indoor hydroponics going.  Here's my current obsession/wish list item:

https://foodyverticalgarden.com/products/foody-12-hydroponic-system

plus the grow lights.

You can argue that a DIY system, once you buy all the parts, is not going to be that much cheaper.  And it's going to be a LOT uglier in a living space.  But...$500+ for a food garden...sounds like a pretty crazy idea.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1548 on: June 29, 2018, 09:37:25 AM »
A new DSLR.  I have a very old one (6.3mp) that I was using but no longer works.  I have been putting a lot of effort into my blog and Etsy shop and would really like a new camera for taking photos.  Right now I'm using my phone and another 10.1 mp camera (point and shoot) to take photos.  They are great but I don't get to control the photos the way I would like.  I'm torn between calling it an investment but also not.

I would like to buy it with the money I earn from the blog (so far $15 last quarter), but that seems so far away. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1549 on: June 29, 2018, 10:14:05 AM »
A swimming pool in my yard. It's hot today and forecast to be even hotter for the next few days, and I don't want to deal with the crowds at the public pools or beaches.

We need a swimming pool about as much as we need another vehicle, so it's not going to happen.