Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1295577 times)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1450 on: May 20, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
My umbrellas died this year (I keep a small stash of them for students to borrow; they lasted a good 15 years). Instead of normal cheapo umbrellas to replace them, I have three very pretty, overpriced umbrellas in my Amazon cart. I probably won't buy them, but they look so nice!

Note: we're lucky if it rains ten days a year here. I DO use umbrellas as parasols... but my students don't. :p

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1451 on: May 20, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
Mezzie, I have never tried this but why don't you make your own umbrella's! Here is a DIY for you: https://www.womansday.com/home/crafts-projects/how-to/g714/umbrella-craft-project/?slide=1

Could be a lot of fun and what wonderful fabrics you could buy!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1452 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:05 PM »
Still lusting after this.

It's been weeks now and the feeling has not passed...I made the mistake of test driving one and it's the first car I've connected with like I did with my MR2 ten years ago.
buy that car! I am never one to talk someone  out of a cool fun-car.

I ended up getting a 2004 Z06 with 34k miles on it -- I will sell my MR2 Turbo, I think. It's nice to have something that's newer/lower mileage where I can just change oil and buy tires and be good to go, instead of the constant stream of (expensive) fixes.

I managed to get a good enough deal on this car (well documented, have the window sticker, build sheet, etc) that I think I'll be able to drive it for 3 years and sell for about what I paid. :)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1453 on: May 20, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
I stopped lusting after the Model 3, largely thanks to this site.  Of course, I'd still like to have one, but any angst I felt has been overwhelmed by my desire to FIRE. 

I don't know that there's much in the way of significantly stupid stuff I'm lusting after now, though some might call my lust for FIRE stupid.  If I could convince the wife/family to take a very close look at how we spend on food/gifts, FIRE probably wouldn't be that far off, but I've got work to do in that regard.  Maybe the retirement house in another state is the stupid thing (since we could probably look at much cheaper places than the price range/size we've got mentally carved out).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1454 on: May 20, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »

It's been weeks now and the feeling has not passed...I made the mistake of test driving one and it's the first car I've connected with like I did with my MR2 ten years ago.

I ended up getting a 2004 Z06 with 34k miles on it -- I will sell my MR2 Turbo, I think. It's nice to have something that's newer/lower mileage where I can just change oil and buy tires and be good to go, instead of the constant stream of (expensive) fixes.

I managed to get a good enough deal on this car (well documented, have the window sticker, build sheet, etc) that I think I'll be able to drive it for 3 years and sell for about what I paid. :)

Congrats!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1455 on: May 20, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
Mezzie, I have never tried this but why don't you make your own umbrella's! Here is a DIY for you: https://www.womansday.com/home/crafts-projects/how-to/g714/umbrella-craft-project/?slide=1

Could be a lot of fun and what wonderful fabrics you could buy!

That looks like something I could talk my crafty relatives into doing. :)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1456 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
Going to look at a couple large parcels of recreational land tomorrow (100 acres+) that have nice private lakes.   I may be dreaming, but it doesn't cost much to look.

BallerOnABudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1457 on: May 22, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Currently wanting a gently used Mazda 3 hatchback to replace my ten year old coupe. Not at all necessary, but the itch is strong. My reasons, in descending order of lameness:

-bluetooth would be nice
-extra cargo space
-would like a backup cam - kids (including my own) are always out and about in our neighborhood and I'd prefer to not run any over
-four doors - easier for loading/unloading the kids and their car seats
-automatic transmission - i love manuals, but it's driving me crazy in stop and go traffic, which I commute in daily. After 19 years of driving nothing but stick, I think I'm ready to give in and drop that third pedal.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1458 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
Currently wanting a gently used Mazda 3 hatchback to replace my ten year old coupe. Not at all necessary, but the itch is strong. My reasons, in descending order of lameness:

-bluetooth would be nice
-extra cargo space
-would like a backup cam - kids (including my own) are always out and about in our neighborhood and I'd prefer to not run any over
-four doors - easier for loading/unloading the kids and their car seats
-automatic transmission - i love manuals, but it's driving me crazy in stop and go traffic, which I commute in daily. After 19 years of driving nothing but stick, I think I'm ready to give in and drop that third pedal.

Bluetooth & backup camera can be added for a relatively trivial cost. :)

tinaglass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1459 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:09 PM »
For me it is a $370 Montegrappa rollerball pen made of copper. It is freaking gorgeous! Imagine the newest, shiniest copper penny you ever saw polished to insanity and made into a pen! It is a bit more reddish than a penny. (Don't look on Amazon--the photos are sh1te) I have a thing for the color orange, especially metallic orange, and was surprised to find out it is actually made of copper. Really, a work of art. BUTT, I just bought another watch (Doxa antimagnetique, handwound from the 1950s, absolutely stunning, MINT condition) and I should not go nuts on goodies, especially at this time of year. Yes, it's ridiculous to spend that much on a pen--especially since I have had a beautiful chrome $30 Shaeffer that has worked superbly for over 10 years. (I use blue ink--black is for proles!  )

I know the money would be much better spent going into one of my retirement accounts or other savings, but it is gnawing away at me!! (The store owner told me that if I came back, he would pay the tax.)

Nevertheless, I just paid off the last of our debts, have greatly increased 403b contributions, am building up a very nice emergency fund, and am thus tempted to splurge. (Facepunch me?)

What stupid, ridiculous luxury (or other) item are you lusting after??
Apple I phone 6. I badly want that.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #1460 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:53 PM »
A really expensive autumn coat. It is very nice but extremely overpriced and I don't need a thin coat so I won't buy it but I stroke it every time I enter the store that sells it, it is really awesome and sometimes I try to convince myself that I could use it at work when it gets colder as kind of a cardigan (because it has a look that is somewhat in between coat and cardigan) but I know that is just me justifying a crazy purchase. I could get 2-3 full prize nice quality cardigans from any other store that doesn't consider itself as much of a special snowflake as this one. I will keep stroking it for a while though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1461 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »
elliha, I understand the urge for something desirable but expensive. Can you justify it in anyway?. Like do you have a birthday coming up and maybe some of your family members could chip in to get it for you. Do you have a piggy bank with money in it that you have no plans for? Can you work a few hours of overtime to make the money to buy it? Can you sell something on ebay or craigslist and make enough cash to buy it?

If I were you, I would buy it but promise to PAY for it by selling something in your house or work OT or have family members chip in for a BD gift.

Extravagant yes, but life is short.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1462 on: May 24, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
Ha! I was going to tell elliha that she should stop walking into that store.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1463 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

That is a good option too!

Temptation is everywhere. School is not out yet but within several weeks of summer vacation all the stores will be splattering ads for BACK TO SCHOOL. Every little thing in retail is a big event and they have to do their evil campaign to get people to BUY, BUY, BUY! Right now it is Memorial day sales, then back to school, then Labor Day sales, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukah. Makes me want to tear my hair out!

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #1464 on: May 24, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »

I have found that trying to avoid shopping by not going into stores doesn't work for me. I actually buy less if I allow myself to go into stores but view them as a museum that lets you touch things. Also, if I get a real urge to shop I will go into a store and get a basket and put everything I like into it and enjoy finding so many good things. I then put it all back and go home or buy perhaps one thing. I have realized that the kick for me is finding the things and I don't need to buy them if I am allowed to find them.

As to the coat I have decided to keep my eye out for people selling them second hand in a year or two. There are always those people who overbuy and then sell and then you often get a 40-50% discount on a nearly new item.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1465 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
Yes, I go on ebay and buy used good name clothing sometimes. The tops might go for $89 new but on ebay might be $29.

SoBurntImCharred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1466 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Nice to see other car people on the site, and a Corvette owner at that! Congrats on the new purchase! I'm sure you're loving it. 

As you may guess, my username isn't totally accurate; it's mostly me trying to condition myself to be more frugal. My biggest failure as a mustachian is buying a C6, but a Corvette has been a goal of mine since I was a kid, right or wrong.

Congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1467 on: May 24, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
Family vacation in Hawaii where I don't have to cook. Which, is silly, because swapping from our condo where we've gone before to a fancy hotel is the height of unnecessary lifestyle inflation. And, would spoil the kids, set the bar higher for all future vacations, & is just ridiculous. Because, a family vacation it Hawaii is already crazy awesome. But, when I envision myself not cooking. . . it's hard to pass up. The gap was lower than i expected on cost, but we passed because the room at the fancy hotel also doesn't have a separate sleeping area for the kids.

I have no idea the cost, but don't refrain from a trip like that because it will "set the bar higher" for all future vacations. My family in HS went on a really nice cruise. But we went on our usual vacations afterwards and they were just as fun. And when my family visits (except my Dad) they still stay at my house. Maybe we're just easy to please. Going to Hawaii is one of my dream vacations.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1468 on: May 24, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
A second home in Florida!  Purchase agreement signed.  Hopefully will FIRE there by 2020 and sell current home  in Louisiana.   

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1469 on: May 24, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
Would like to buy a new car. Car I currently have is almost 10 years old with LOW, LOW mileage...like 28,000. DUH! It is a Honda and will last for many more years.

It is just totally stupid but I am lusting. Saw a brand new CRV at the grocery store and it was gorgeous...Not buying...LUSTING!

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1470 on: May 25, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
Update: I ended up buying the Vitamix 5200. It came in the mail yesterday and is pretty great. Only thing is I don't think it could grind the frozen coconut chunks well, but with more time (about another 40 seconds ) it was better (just not perfect). Considering my food processor was worse at it and I don't normally use frozen coconut chunks (these were from trader joe's so they must be very fiber-y/low quality), this is still really good and I will enjoy having smoothies (that are not chewy!) in 30 seconds rather than in 5 minutes. :P

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1471 on: May 25, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
Update: I ended up buying the Vitamix 5200. It came in the mail yesterday and is pretty great. Only thing is I don't think it could grind the frozen coconut chunks well, but with more time (about another 40 seconds ) it was better (just not perfect). Considering my food processor was worse at it and I don't normally use frozen coconut chunks (these were from trader joe's so they must be very fiber-y/low quality), this is still really good and I will enjoy having smoothies (that are not chewy!) in 30 seconds rather than in 5 minutes. :P

So you spent $450 to save four and a half minutes? So $100/minute of time saved?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1472 on: May 25, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
Yes, but the Vita Mix will be used hundreds and hundreds of times.

Also, if you ever have a problem with the machine, call VM and they will have you ship it and they will repair it when off warranty. Not for free but most places don't fix stuff when it conks out.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1473 on: May 25, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »
Yes, but the Vita Mix will be used hundreds and hundreds of times.

Also, if you ever have a problem with the machine, call VM and they will have you ship it and they will repair it when off warranty. Not for free but most places don't fix stuff when it conks out.

If you use it a whopping 999 times it still costs you $6/hour of saved time. And that's assuming a nice compromise off-brand similar model doesn't exist for much cheaper. The price is ridiculous unless you run a smoothie shop or something.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1474 on: May 26, 2018, 04:56:34 AM »
Some people buy them used on Craigslist. I bought mine at the Big E in Massachusetts years ago. It was one of those demo shows.

It is a good machine and I swear by it. Expensive or not.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1475 on: May 26, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
I've upped my object of lust to an AWD Model 3 with LR battery and premium upgrade package,  but not the performance model.
Red with white interior will do, and I'll apply the ceramic coating myself.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1476 on: May 26, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »
I've upped my object of lust to an AWD Model 3 with LR battery and premium upgrade package,  but not the performance model.
Red with white interior will do, and I'll apply the ceramic coating myself.

Are you sure you want one? Sounds like they have a lot of issues...
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/tesla-model-3-review-falls-short-of-consumer-reports-recommendation/
https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/long-term-road-test/2017-tesla-model-3-monthly-update-for-april-2018.html

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1477 on: May 26, 2018, 07:37:56 PM »
Update on my first post - over a year later i still wanted new floors and the cabinets painted. So I decided to do it myself :) Cost hardly anything, just very time intensive (~300 hours). And now I'm done - Woot! I actually saved closer to 10k. Now I have to think of something else to lust over.. :)

I'd love to get new laminate flooring everywhere. A more mustachian option is just replace the bedroom carpets which are just disgusting and why I want new floors. The most mustachian option is get rugs to cover the worst stains, which I did last weekend for ~$70. But new floors would be so nice!! I just can't justify the $2500 cost, which would probably turn into $4500 when the floors I want don't match the cabinets and those would need a good white painting.. sigh...

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #1478 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
I just learned about The Strenuous Life https://strenuouslife.co/ program from the Art of Manliness website and I think it sounds awesome. The only problem is it costs $199. "Lusting" isn't the right word, but I do feel like I need someone to give me facepunch. The thing is it sounds pretty Mustachian and like a great way to learn lots of useful skills in a community of other people who also care about developing those skills. But for $199... I don't know

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #1479 on: May 29, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
I lust after an apartment in my home town for spending summers and holidays nearer to the family. The past two years we've stayed with friends instead and they enjoy our company, but we would really like a place of our own. Can't justify the expense for 8 weeks a year, though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1480 on: May 29, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
I just learned about The Strenuous Life https://strenuouslife.co/ program from the Art of Manliness website and I think it sounds awesome. The only problem is it costs $199. "Lusting" isn't the right word, but I do feel like I need someone to give me facepunch. The thing is it sounds pretty Mustachian and like a great way to learn lots of useful skills in a community of other people who also care about developing those skills. But for $199... I don't know

Sell some stuff in your house/garage to get the $199. Sell the junk on ebay to buy the program. Go to Craigslist and find a weekend gig to make the money. The program seems pretty good. No face punches here. Do some kind of a side gig to get some money then you are not out any money!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1481 on: May 30, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as stupid thing I'm lusting after, but I really need new shoes right now! This always tends to happen to me, but I wear all my shoes out at once, then take forever to replace them because I can't find *exactly* what I want because I am too picky. Then I go to work every day and my feet hurt, blah blah. My running shoes are close to dead, both pairs of winter boots are awful, and my chacos are on their last leg too. Why do I let this happen! haha. I'm lusting after a new pair of Dansko clogs (have to wear closed toe shoes to work) but I can't get over the price. My size is super popular, so hard to find used. I'll probably just continue to wear running shoes to work, but they just don't look great with everything.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1482 on: May 30, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as stupid thing I'm lusting after, but I really need new shoes right now! This always tends to happen to me, but I wear all my shoes out at once, then take forever to replace them because I can't find *exactly* what I want because I am too picky. Then I go to work every day and my feet hurt, blah blah. My running shoes are close to dead, both pairs of winter boots are awful, and my chacos are on their last leg too. Why do I let this happen! haha. I'm lusting after a new pair of Dansko clogs (have to wear closed toe shoes to work) but I can't get over the price. My size is super popular, so hard to find used. I'll probably just continue to wear running shoes to work, but they just don't look great with everything.

The last time I found a pair of hiking boots that I liked, I noticed that Amazon had significantly dropped the price so I bought a second pair about a year before my first pair wore out and just left them in my closet until the first pair bit the dust. If you find something you really like, it may be worth buying two pair so you don't have to go through this as often!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1483 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole. They are ok in dry weather, but my feet get soaked if it's wet out. I need shoes that I can wear at work, are comfortable to walk miles in, and not super expensive, and it can be hard to find. I went shopping for shoes and ended up buying a nice pair of sandals, not on sale : ( so my plan is to wear sandals in summer for days I'm not seeing patients, and get a pair of shoes in fall.   

I  have the same problem with a rain jacket. I can no longer wear my old rain jacket (sleeves are no longer water proof so I get soaked). But jackets I like are 70, 100 or more in cost. I refuse to spend that much. I was hoping to find a deal on a nice rain jacket but no luck so far.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:36:01 AM by partgypsy »

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1484 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
As a musician, I am always lusting after new toys, the last few years I've been wanting several guitar amplifiers and effects pedals.  Haven't pulled the trigger on any, but it's always tempting. 

Also, I opted out of a leased 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee a month back, and I have to admit that I miss it, and sometimes think I should have just purchased it - living in luxury can be addicting.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1485 on: May 30, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole. They are ok in dry weather, but my feet get soaked if it's wet out. I need shoes that I can wear at work, are comfortable to walk miles in, and not super expensive, and it can be hard to find. I went shopping for shoes and ended up buying a nice pair of sandals, not on sale : ( so my plan is to wear sandals in summer for days I'm not seeing patients, and get a pair of shoes in fall.   

I  have the same problem with a rain jacket. I can no longer wear my old rain jacket (sleeves are no longer water proof so I get soaked). But jackets I like are 70, 100 or more in cost. I refuse to spend that much. I was hoping to find a deal on a nice rain jacket but no luck so far.

Keep an eye out on ebay. Look every day for the brand and size you are looking for. You might find it there eventually.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1486 on: May 30, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Also, I opted out of a leased 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee a month back, and I have to admit that I miss it, and sometimes think I should have just purchased it - living in luxury can be addicting.

There are like four or five of these in my neighborhood. Having driven a Grand Cherokee (albeit an older one) I can say I don't think there are many more boring ways to waste money on a car.

For the average price of the lowest trim (Laredo) 2016 Grand Cherokee on Autotrader you could instead have a 2011 Lexus LS 460 and bathe yourself in actual luxury and they're also super reliable. Or if you wanted something fun to drive and still more luxurious and cheaper you could look at the 2012 Audi S4 which does 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Or if you need an SUV for some reason why not a 2014 Acura MDX? Better fuel economy, more luxurious, more reliable, faster.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1487 on: May 30, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »

There are like four or five of these in my neighborhood. Having driven a Grand Cherokee (albeit an older one) I can say I don't think there are many more boring ways to waste money on a car.

For the average price of the lowest trim (Laredo) 2016 Grand Cherokee on Autotrader you could instead have a 2011 Lexus LS 460 and bathe yourself in actual luxury and they're also super reliable. Or if you wanted something fun to drive and still more luxurious and cheaper you could look at the 2012 Audi S4 which does 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Or if you need an SUV for some reason why not a 2014 Acura MDX? Better fuel economy, more luxurious, more reliable, faster.
I ended up buying a chevy impala after unloading the Jeep.  The model I had was a Laredo, drove nice, had an upscale interior, I was especially fond of the overall exterior look.  I liked having 4 wheel drive for the winter snows and for camping, but front wheel drive will do just fine for 95% of my time.  The storage space was nice as well, helped with a few moves between some towns, and for hauling camping gear during summer trips.     

I don't need an SUV.  If I ever want something along those lines again I'll probably look for a Subaru Outback or something similar.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1488 on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »

Keep an eye out on ebay. Look every day for the brand and size you are looking for. You might find it there eventually.

You don't even need to look everyday. eBay will look for you! Just set up an alert with your search parameters and they will email you when something that fits is listed. Go to "my ebay" and then to "saved searches."

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1489 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »
I really want this house. https://www.oahure.com/SearchMLS_Details.php?MLSNumber=201812555&PropertyType=RES My commute would be walkable. And look how awesome it is! Some interesting paint choices, but other than that, so cute and not the usual metro Honolulu dump.

Sigh. A million dollars. Not going to happen. Gotta stick with our little condo.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1490 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
It appears the price of living in paradise is quite high. :/

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1491 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Yeah. I forget that it gives mainland folks sticker shock unless they are from Manhattan or SF. When mainland people see what $364k bought us they are aghast. But who needs a nice place? It's paradise!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1492 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
My area is not cheap. For that house, it would be at least half a million here. Which I think is a lot for it. But, that's half the asking price, so...

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1493 on: May 31, 2018, 06:41:14 AM »
my daughter (17) recently mentioned wanting to have a small saltwater aquarium and now I can't get that idea out of my head. I had one when she was little and we loved it, but damn, what an expensive and time consuming hobby. Small is somewhat cheaper, but larger is more stable. I'm resisting (trying to resist) because I know my tendency to be obsessed with something for a while and eventually lose interest after initial setup thrill wears off, leading to neglect and the tank crashing and being taken down.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1494 on: May 31, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
I would say don't do it. You know what will happen as you have stated.

The other thing would be if you can afford to have an aquarium service come and take care of it on a regular basis. Our local hospital has a nice aquarium and I can only imagine they have some service come in and do what needs to be done.

I am the type that will obsess with stuff and gung ho for a while then let the thing go to hell.

Why don't you get an aquarium screen saver instead!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1495 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
If your daughter is 17, means she will most likely be going off to school in a year. Think about if you want that kind of commitment and responsibility to fall on you after this year. This is the same reason I keep telling my oldest "no" when she asks for a snake. She will be going to college in a few years, and don't want to inherit that responsibility.

I do get it. Saltwater aquariums can be very cool.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1496 on: May 31, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
I’m lusting after the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven.  It’s been sitting in my Amazon cart for a few months and I’m going to make myself wait until the end of the year to see if the desire leaves me.
Yeah didn't make it to the end of the year.  Bought the damn thing and I'm loving it.  I get home from school throw in a piece of meat, make a salad or steam some veggies, and in 15 mins. have a tasty dinner.  I've baked a few things and it's great to not use the big oven that heats up the house. 

Sand101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1497 on: June 02, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole.

Might not be the right answer forever, but Shoe Goo is pretty awesome for this.  I have repaired uncounted shoes, this way, including splits like this.  Heck, I've used them to patch balding areas on my running shoes to get more miles out of them (try to get to 400 or so before giving them up).  Great product.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1498 on: June 02, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »

The last time I found a pair of hiking boots that I liked, I noticed that Amazon had significantly dropped the price so I bought a second pair about a year before my first pair wore out and just left them in my closet until the first pair bit the dust. If you find something you really like, it may be worth buying two pair so you don't have to go through this as often!

They'll last longer if you rotate them. It probably doesn't make sense for hiking boots as you don't want to carry two pairs, but for regular shoes even if you have two pairs that are the same it is highly likely that will last more than 2x as long if you wear them every other day as it lets them dry out/rest in ways that help them fall apart less quickly. This may also not make sense for running shoes as the "foam" typically used in the soles ages even if its just sitting on the shelf.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1499 on: June 02, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole.

Might not be the right answer forever, but Shoe Goo is pretty awesome for this.  I have repaired uncounted shoes, this way, including splits like this.  Heck, I've used them to patch balding areas on my running shoes to get more miles out of them (try to get to 400 or so before giving them up).  Great product.

+1 on the Shoe Goo. It can also be used to apply a patch to denim, an can wash and dry after 24 hours.