Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288105 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1400 on: February 18, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
An APS CAM870 Airsoft shell ejecting shotgun.

Imagine a shotgun, but instead of using gunpowder you can charge each shell individually with CO2 and cram 20 airsoft bb's in each shell.  BONUS: it's also relatively safe enough to shoot your friends with! 

It's in no way a bargain, or particularly useful.  But I'll be damned if it isn't frikkin' sweet!  But the $400+ pricetag is a bit much for me right now.  Even without any consumer debt that's a huge amount of opportunity cost for something I'll hardly ever use.

Damn, that's 2.5x what my Remington 870 cost.

I do have an old-school Tokyo Marui airsoft shotgun - definitely not as fancy as that APS!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1401 on: February 18, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
Designer jacket

Xenantaya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Enough money so that in retirement I can take international luxury ocean or river cruises 2 or 3 time each year (at least for the first several years).

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1403 on: February 19, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
I'm lusting after Huawei Honor 7x costing $200 to replace the corporate iPhone I'm about to lose when I retire in about 4 months.

Instead I ordered a Moto E4 (Verizon prepaid which could be easily unlocked) through Walmart for $40.  It was cancelled due to suspected fraudulent activity in my account. I was offered a $10 discount which I used to reorder the Moto E4.

I still haven't received shipment confirmation so there is a possibility that it might be cancelled again.  If this happened, I fear I'll give in and buy the Honor 7x. (ETA:  Received delivery confirmation as of 12/26, a little sad....)  What the heck I might still end up buying the 7x even when I do get the Moto E4.

Honor 7x is calling my name again since the Moto E4's screen broke when it fell off my pocket and hit the floor face down.

I swear it wasn't intentional. This is the shortest time I owned an electronic before damaging it.

Maybe Honor 7x and I are fated.... Must resist (or at least wait until it is on sale).

I recently went out of town, when I left the hotel for the day, I left my Flip phone in the room.
 I kind of hoped the cleaning crew would steal my Flip Phone, so I could buy a smart phone.
No such luck!
 In the end, my phone fell out of the pouch and between the cars seats, so it wasn't even in the room to steal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:50:24 AM by BTDretire »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1404 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »
Hahaha, that flip phone will probably last another 20 years! By that time they will probably implant chips in our ears instead of phones.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
I've been seriously looking at antarctica cruises again.  15 grand-ish excluding airfare.  Am I crazy?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #1406 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
I've wanted a Banks Fry-Bake pan and lid for my camping gear. Very durable and highly recommended. Maybe a great birthday gift from the wife and kids. $50 camping pan is a bit of a stretch. Especially when I haven't starved or gone without yet...

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #1407 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
I've been looking at these two items a lot for the last few months. I'll probably pull  the trigger soon.

The PAKT One travel bag: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pakt-one-the-only-travel-bag-you-ll-ever-want-design/x/18057863#/
My rationale for buying: I don't have any travel suitcases or bags at the moment. Only a backpack from LL Beans that's been going strong for almost 4 years now. I figured this would last me the rest of the my life and suit me well when traveling since I don't have much stuff.

The QUARTZ self clean water bottle: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/quartz-bottle-world-s-first-self-cleaning-bottle-sport-fitness/x/18057863#/
My rationale for buying: I only drink water and I've been using the same water bottle for almost 4 years by CAMELBAK. It's hard to clean and mold tends to build up inside the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece has also popped off but it's still usable. Unfortunately the mouthpiece of this CAMELBAK model is not replaceable. I figure having the best water drinking experience would be fair.

Buying in packs is also cheaper if anyone needs the items above :p

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1408 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »
A hand-carved, very beautiful D&D dice chest with a rolling tray.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1409 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
Going to the boat, sport & travel show today with a buddy that is thinking about getting a camper. 
Will do my best to help him blow some money  :)

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #1410 on: February 20, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
I want a Roomba. So so bad.

I bought one and I like it. But FOR ME having a roomba was the difference between not sweeping the the hardwood floor once every few months to having the floor swept 70% well daily. I could see a significance difference, and the $350 I spent on it was worth having a chore done that I wanted done with absolutely no urge to perform said chore. SO MUCH PIT BULL FUR it's picked up for me.

But I wouldn't say it's a tool you leave unattended. I usually clean the kitchen while I let it loose over the house so I can assist it as it gets stuck in and on odd locations as well as it getting tangled up in a blanket or tassel. Unless you keep your floor picked up so well you wouldn't have to worry about such things.

I would say a Roomba's satisfaction score would depend on expectations. A blind robotic rolling circle is never going to clean as well as a human that actually has an eye for seeing mess.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1411 on: February 20, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
A ski cabin

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #1412 on: February 20, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
I've been seriously looking at antarctica cruises again.  15 grand-ish excluding airfare.  Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all!  That is a spectacular experience.  I'd regard as a once in 10-15 year vacation though, and save up for it accordingly.

Re the Roomba....I got one of those.  It's WAY cheaper than hiring a housecleaner.  This gizmo plus the portable washer makes it possible for me to keep up with housework (and my two long-haired cats) while not sacrificing the bulk of my weekends.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1413 on: February 20, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
$12 hammered aluminium fruit bowl. Do not need. Have a ceramic fruit bowl that's entirely fine. The metal one is pretty, though. And it's staying at the store.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: February 21, 2018, 04:03:31 AM »
Does the Roomba work on carpet or just hard surfaces? If it works on carpet, how good is it at getting pet hair out?

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #1415 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »
Does the Roomba work on carpet or just hard surfaces? If it works on carpet, how good is it at getting pet hair out?

It works on both carpets and hard surfaces. I don't recommend carpets with tassels though. Loose cables are the bane of Roomba existence.

It might be expensive but it is a great help. We have redesigned some stuff around the house so that the roomba can get around and it now runs twice a week and keeps the dust down.

Love it. :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1416 on: February 25, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »

Are you FI?.. Then no it isn't..otherwise...:)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »

Are you FI?.. Then no it isn't..otherwise...:)

Agreed. Or maybe if you realistically can make this the only vacation you take on your entire journey to FI. My whole family could go on a Europe vacation 3+ times for that price...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »

If you are a Costco member you can get discounts on cruises and vacation packages. Check it out.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1419 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:20 AM »
I bought myself a cheap adult's scooter and I love it so much.

Then I went on holidays (without my scooter - it didn't fit in our car) and saw lots of people on skateboards and now I reeeeeeally want a skateboard, even though I'm an old and falling could be dangerous. But.... I love how free everyone looks riding their skateboard. I can easily afford the money for a new skateboard. Not sure it would be sensible though. Hence posting in this thread.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #1420 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »
I would like a nice Boss watch, but I dont want to pay the cash.

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #1421 on: April 17, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
Me too! And I wanna take my four kids with me!! I am mustachian in every other way, but my desire to show my kids the world before they’re grown is strong!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1422 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
A condo in San Diego. Although considering it’s still cold and snowy here in mid-April, maybe that isn’t so stupid...

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1423 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

Still these stupid Wu Tang socks....

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1424 on: April 19, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
If you're going to spend any money at all on unnecessary stuff, fancy socks are a pretty good option. We all need socks; fancy ones don't cost a whole lot more than basic ones; and for some reason, men in particular get a far greater range of style options for socks than for almost anything else. Buying fancy socks instead of basic ones would set you back perhaps fifty to sixty dollars a year at the upper end of the scale - if you go for cycling websites, in fact, you can often find very hard-wearing socks in very over-the-top designs for two or three dollars a pair.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:31:39 AM by runbikerun »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: April 20, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »
I really want another BMW wagon.  I've had two already and they were awesome.  The last one was a manual transmission and I loved it, but I messed up my knee and needed to ditch the clutch for a while so I sold it.  I decided on a super depreciation special 2005 X3 to replace it, which is almost like a BMW wagon, but it isn't.  I really want another wagon.  I'm holding strong though, its really nice to not have a car payment.

I'm also really wanting a new Santa Cruz Stigmata with the Force CX1.  Its an eye watering $4400, which is twice what I've ever spent on a bicycle, but the parts group is exactly what I'd pick if I was going to build it from scratch.  I figure I could sell my commuter and my road bike and maybe come up with $1500?  Ugh. This is where I put it in my "defer" category and wait to see if I still want it in 6 months. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1426 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
A new crank with a built-in power meter for my bicycle. $399, marked down to only $244. Great deal compared to the power meter pedals at $700. I can't afford not to buy it!

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1427 on: April 21, 2018, 02:20:51 AM »
A new crank with a built-in power meter for my bicycle. $399, marked down to only $244. Great deal compared to the power meter pedals at $700. I can't afford not to buy it!

At the risk of getting unnecessarily sweary: where the absolute fucking bastard hell did you find a power meter crank for that little?

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1428 on: April 21, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

Still these stupid Wu Tang socks....
Wu Tang Financial approves of this purchase.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1429 on: April 21, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
A Le Creuset Tea Kettle. Marine Blue. They’re gorgeous.

I want a Roomba. So so bad.

I bought a knockoff Roomba on Amazon and I love it. I have the ILIFE A4, but would get the A6 if I had to buy again. I have two dogs and it works like a dream!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1430 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
Do your dogs shed a lot? I have one that is Pomeranian and is a horrible shedder. Can you describe your experience with the ILIFE4. Do the hairs get wrapped around the brush, is it easy to empty, does it get stuck in corners?

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1431 on: April 21, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I want a Vitamix blender. I used to have a nice KitchenAid blender, but my SO lost it misplacing it in his mom's garage by storing it there during a move (which is an endless array of hoarded crap... we've tried to look through it). This is infuriating to me because I did not know this happened until I went to look for it and thought it strange that after I turned our place up and down, inside and out, several times, I could not find the blender.  It's also infuriating because it was sentimental and one of those things I was so proud to buy after saving up money, lol, but after a long time without it, I think I might have to accept I can no longer get this blender back... :/ and should just upgrade while I'm at it? I had purchased a $34 food processor which I've used quite a bit in the mean time but it does not yield the same results as a blender for some things, like smoothies.

Sigh. What to do, what to do... It's so expensive.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: April 21, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
You might try several things. Look on Craigslist to see if anyone is selling a Vitamix.

You could try going to the Vitamix website and see if they have and refurbs for sale. If you don't find one, call them and ask.

If you should get a Vitamix that has a problem, you can call Vitamix and they will fix it. Not sure how old they will fix, but I sent mine for a problem and it was worth the price they charged.

I also have a Kitchen Aid food processor and it is great but don't think for smoothies.

ca-rn

• Stubble
« Reply #1433 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I want a Vitamix blender.

definitely check out vitamix reconditioned models and/or costco is selling the e320 for 279 right now! 

i'm a fairly new vitamix owner and i love it- blends veggies soooo smoothly, makes hot soups, healthy ice cream/sorbets etc, not a stupid buy and i've bought some stupid things....

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1434 on: April 21, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
Do your dogs shed a lot? I have one that is Pomeranian and is a horrible shedder. Can you describe your experience with the ILIFE4. Do the hairs get wrapped around the brush, is it easy to empty, does it get stuck in corners?

They do shed a lot! And they’re significantly bigger than a pomeranian - 50 and 70 lbs. I can pet the bigger one for a couple minutes and walk away with a handful of hair. I have to clean the brush and empty the canister before every use, but it takes less than 5 minutes. The A6 has a rubber brush, so I would get that one if I had to re-buy.

It’s never gotten stuck in corners, but it has gotten stuck under bathroom cabinets and on a couple pieces of furniture every once in a while. I don’t run it unattended, but it is nice to have a vacuum going while I’m cooking, doing laundry, or cleaning other parts of the house.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:11:47 PM by shelbyautumn »

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1435 on: April 21, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I want a Vitamix blender.

I love my Vitamix and use it everyday to make my morning smoothie.  Texture is a big deal for me and the Vitamix blends everything to a wonderful smooth texture.  I’d buy another one tomorrow if it broke.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1436 on: April 21, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »
I’m lusting after the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven.  It’s been sitting in my Amazon cart for a few months and I’m going to make myself wait until the end of the year to see if the desire leaves me.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1437 on: April 22, 2018, 07:01:12 AM »
NV Teacher this is my suggestion if you can wait on your lust. Why don't you get yourself a jar or envelope and save money each week for the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven. I looked on Amazon and the cost of it looks to be $192. If you saved $5.65 a week till the end of the year, you could pay for it. Maybe even buy it thru Bed Bath and Beyond and use a 20% off coupon. That way you can look forward to getting it by the end of the year and the satisfaction of paying cash for it. It is approx. 34 weeks till the end of the year.

Right now Bed Bath and beyond has them for $199.99 minus the 20% coupon brings it down to $160 and free shipping! If I were lusting for this, I would buy from BB&B now!

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #1438 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »
one of these:

KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

Mind you, I already have the previous version. And it's paid off.
Of all the options out there, why this particular model? Say, why this model over the BMW GS models or the Honda's in this segment? Trying to figure out what I want...

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1439 on: April 22, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips on Vitamix! Costco or Craiglist is a good idea, but I am wondering who would want to part with their Vitamix. Hehe :P Yeah, I do like to make smoothies quite a bit, would also be good to do a really smooth hummus...

@NV Teacher Any reason why you are choosing the Cuisinart instead of an ActiFry? Just wondering. I have been wanting an air frier, too, since i make a lot of homemade baked fries and thought Actifry was a popular choice.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1440 on: April 22, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »
Just looked at actifry and it looks pretty big/bulky. The Cuisinart air fry looks big but love the front door. I have an air fryer and it is egg shape and round inside. I do not like it because it can't hold that much. French fries are the thing I cook most but if it was square, I could fit more stuff inside.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I want a Vitamix blender. I used to have a nice KitchenAid blender, but my SO lost it misplacing it in his mom's garage by storing it there during a move (which is an endless array of hoarded crap... we've tried to look through it). This is infuriating to me because I did not know this happened until I went to look for it and thought it strange that after I turned our place up and down, inside and out, several times, I could not find the blender.  It's also infuriating because it was sentimental and one of those things I was so proud to buy after saving up money, lol, but after a long time without it, I think I might have to accept I can no longer get this blender back... :/ and should just upgrade while I'm at it? I had purchased a $34 food processor which I've used quite a bit in the mean time but it does not yield the same results as a blender for some things, like smoothies.

if you do get one, go with Costco.  Had one for years that gave out, returned it -- full refund no questions asked even without receipt.

Then, we decided to get a Blendtec (similar and comparable in quality, maybe better depending on who you ask, its what Starbucks uses), also gave out after a few years, got the same refund.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1442 on: April 22, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
@NV Teacher Any reason why you are choosing the Cuisinart instead of an ActiFry? Just wondering. I have been wanting an air frier, too, since i make a lot of homemade baked fries and thought Actifry was a popular choice.

I like that it has the ability to toast, bake, broil, etc. as well as air fry.  In the summer it’s 110+ here and it would be nice to bake a few things without heating up the big oven.  It’s even small enough that I can set it outside on the patio to bake in the summer and keep all of that heat out of the house.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: April 23, 2018, 06:24:10 AM »

At the risk of getting unnecessarily sweary: where the absolute fucking bastard hell did you find a power meter crank for that little?

Meh, its just a single sided stages unit.  Maybe if you have a perfect pedal stroke, its worth it, but not many people have perfect pedal strokes. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1444 on: April 23, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
Still lusting after this.

It's been weeks now and the feeling has not passed...I made the mistake of test driving one and it's the first car I've connected with like I did with my MR2 ten years ago.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1445 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »

It's been weeks now and the feeling has not passed...I made the mistake of test driving one and it's the first car I've connected with like I did with my MR2 ten years ago.

Corvettes are such a great value. Don't look at me to talk you out of it, we just spent more than that on our blue sports car a couple months ago. :)

As a side note, the Tucson Cars and Coffee is held near the location of that Corvette. I have fond memories of that area because I was given a ride in a Ferrari F355 once.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1446 on: April 23, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »

Corvettes are such a great value. Don't look at me to talk you out of it, we just spent more than that on our blue sports car a couple months ago. :)

As a side note, the Tucson Cars and Coffee is held near the location of that Corvette. I have fond memories of that area because I was given a ride in a Ferrari F355 once.

I've been looking at depreciation curves vs what I've spent maintaining/upgrading my MR2 over the last decade, and...I think I would come out about even, if not slightly better off in the Corvette.  That one in particular has taken the bulk of its depreciation hit already, too.  Gah!!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »

My spouse found it on Amazon last week. It was an Ultegra 165 mm, on closeout. Sorry, that's all I know.

ETA: Here's a link. unfortunately, the discount is gone.
https://www.amazon.com/STAGES-POWER-METER-ULTEGRA-6800/dp/B074BHDNZX
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:09:16 PM by NoraLenderbee »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1448 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »

buy that car! I am never one to talk someone  out of a cool fun-car.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1449 on: May 20, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »
Family vacation in Hawaii where I don't have to cook. Which, is silly, because swapping from our condo where we've gone before to a fancy hotel is the height of unnecessary lifestyle inflation. And, would spoil the kids, set the bar higher for all future vacations, & is just ridiculous. Because, a family vacation it Hawaii is already crazy awesome. But, when I envision myself not cooking. . . it's hard to pass up. The gap was lower than i expected on cost, but we passed because the room at the fancy hotel also doesn't have a separate sleeping area for the kids.