Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288060 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1350 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
Just feeling the urge to spend in general. Got a lot of cash and seemingly no where else to put it right now.

My urge to spend most often manifests itself in the form of a 4K TV. Ultimately I tell myself that it won't make me any happier.

I just gotta hold out until the weather gets better and I can spend on things I feel good about.
https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/ :P

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1351 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
A big detached garage with a lift.

I'll raise you (no pun intended) a  heated, insulated garage with a lift

I'll raise you as well - a heated, insulated garage with a lift with a mother-in-law/media room/gym upstairs.

I'll raise you again -  a heated, insulated garage with a lift, with in-law quarters, with an indoor wash bay -- hose bib, sloped floor, and frost-proof drain.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1352 on: January 12, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »

I'll raise you as well - a heated, insulated garage with a lift with a mother-in-law/media room/gym upstairs.

I'll raise you again -  a heated, insulated garage with a lift, with in-law quarters, with an indoor wash bay -- hose bib, sloped floor, and frost-proof drain.

Yep. That'd be awesome.

I wouldn't even need a house.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1353 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
A $900 coat. It would be so warm and cozy with the fur lining and I would be unstoppable out in the cold;  the snow and ice would clear themselves as I approached.

:D that's hilarious

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1354 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »
I love the image of the camel on the train.. I was told there is quite the camel problem in OZ

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1355 on: January 13, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
I'm lusting after Huawei Honor 7x costing $200 to replace the corporate iPhone I'm about to lose when I retire in about 4 months.

Instead I ordered a Moto E4 (Verizon prepaid which could be easily unlocked) through Walmart for $40.  It was cancelled due to suspected fraudulent activity in my account. I was offered a $10 discount which I used to reorder the Moto E4.

I still haven't received shipment confirmation so there is a possibility that it might be cancelled again.  If this happened, I fear I'll give in and buy the Honor 7x. (ETA:  Received delivery confirmation as of 12/26, a little sad....)  What the heck I might still end up buying the 7x even when I do get the Moto E4.

Honor 7x is calling my name again since the Moto E4's screen broke when it fell off my pocket and hit the floor face down.

I swear it wasn't intentional. This is the shortest time I owned an electronic before damaging it.

Maybe Honor 7x and I are fated.... Must resist (or at least wait until it is on sale).

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1356 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
A $900 coat. It would be so warm and cozy with the fur lining and I would be unstoppable out in the cold;  the snow and ice would clear themselves as I approached.

:D that's hilarious

:)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1357 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
I love the image of the camel on the train.. I was told there is quite the camel problem in OZ
Probably depends where you live. No camels here. Just deadly spiders, snakes and sharks.

Oh yeah I was visiting another aeroplane builder outside of Melbourne a few years back.. He told me to quit leaning up against the wall cus of the deadly spiders that lived in the nooks and crannies.. Yipes!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: January 13, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »
Ever since it has been announced, I've been lusting after the new Nissan LEAF: https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/

I'm hopeful that in a few years the 2018 model LEAF (with better range) will drop in price like the current prices of the ~2014 models.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:45 AM »
A quiet place to work...
Today at work, everyone is talking about the snow chaos that was yesterday. Every time they see a new person, they tell the same story again. And I am really trying to concentrate on doing some new stuff in a new tool that I am not familiar with. It is sometimes silent for a minute or 2 until someone again starts talking about the snow or other not relevant stuff.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: January 17, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
A quiet place to work...
Today at work, everyone is talking about the snow chaos that was yesterday. Every time they see a new person, they tell the same story again. And I am really trying to concentrate on doing some new stuff in a new tool that I am not familiar with. It is sometimes silent for a minute or 2 until someone again starts talking about the snow or other not relevant stuff.

Oh I sympathize with you there....there is so much inane BS conversation at work that I sometimes have to resort to headphones to be able to think.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1361 on: January 17, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
Not really lusting but thinking a lot about a giant RV like the rock stars have and travelling the country. Hub and I are in our mid 60's and don't like to drive anymore so this idea it totally stupid unless we hire someone to drive it. Don't like that idea either. So no RV for us! Also, I was lusting for a new car a few months ago when I saw one I liked a lot. However, like I said we hardly drive anywhere so to put hardly any mileage on a car in a year makes no sense to buy a $35K car!

Look at all the money I have saved, LOL!

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1362 on: January 17, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1363 on: January 18, 2018, 06:24:29 AM »
Like many others on this thread, I have a bit of an obsession with electric cars.  The make/model doesn't really even matter.  A couple times a week I search Autotrader or Craigslist, looking for an amazing deal on an EV.  I keep finding them, and keep having to talk myself out of it.

The economics don't even remotely make sense for us.  The electric would be replacing a long-paid-for small 35mpg ICE sedan that we don't use much.  It has 171k miles, and it will probably take us 5 years to get to 200k.  It probably won't require any significant repairs over that time.  The only ongoing costs are insurance, registration, and gas, all of which add up to ~ $1,000/yr.

Not only that, but I'm well aware that today's EV is going to be far inferior to EVs in the near future (in terms of range, features, etc.).  Heck, if I can resist this stupid temptation for a few years, TAAS might well be a viable alternative to our 2nd car!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1364 on: February 01, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »

Not only that, but I'm well aware that today's EV is going to be far inferior to EVs in the near future (in terms of range, features, etc.).  Heck, if I can resist this stupid temptation for a few years, TAAS might well be a viable alternative to our 2nd car!

I also have this problem. I'm having a really hard time with the idea of a 7-8k used Nissan leaf right now haha. also what is TAAS  ?
https://www.taas.fund/

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1365 on: February 01, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
The Tesla Model 3 that I currently have a reservation for.  Obviously, embracing an early retirement goal would have me canceling that.  We're not all-in, though.  DW still wants a new kitchen as well.

My DW already got her used convertible, new kitchen, and high end sleep-number bed.   I got a new roof and maybe the Model 3 Tesla.   It will be our last new car

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1366 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Since seeing this in the movie Wind River I've been considering trading in an AR-15 for this. The stupid justification is we camp and offroad and the AR might have trouble stopping a black bear. Super duper unlikely anyway, I've lived around black bear in the sierra a good part of my adult life and never seen an aggressive one. More just that it's a cool cowboy gun.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1368 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:41 AM »
Cowboy up.   http://vogeltalksrving.com/2015/04/orion-safety-introduces-bear-deterrent-offering-long-distance-protection/

That would be good for getting them out of your yard, or moving them on if they started heading down the trail towards you. Or maybe scaring them out of your hot tub. (Pic from back home)

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1369 on: February 07, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »
This TV.  I love how it makes the TV look like pretty art when we aren't using it which is most times.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1370 on: February 07, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
This TV.  I love how it makes the TV look like pretty art when we aren't using it which is most times.

So that means your TV will essentially be on all the time? According to Samsung it will use 47 to 49 watts (depending on size) when in art mode. That's a lot to leave running all the time.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1371 on: February 07, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
We've been talking casually about building a house and now I'm obsessed.  https://tinyurl.com/y7cnrrym

Agent Rosenflower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1372 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
Fancy craft cider that costs $12 a six pack. I caved last week and somehow bought two of them. It’s really freaking good but I’ve already told myself it can’t become a habit. My weekly alcohol spend for me and my husband is supposed to be about $20.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1373 on: February 07, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »
$250 Frye boots. I definitely don't need them, but I sure do want them. I don't have any "casual" boots, all of my boots are strictly for winter. Still doesn't mean I need them! But boy are they pretty.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1374 on: February 08, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »
I'm really getting the itch to pickup up a late model Lotus Esprit.  I'd love to have one as a retirement toy.  Maybe I'll OMY just so I can have enough excess to cover its expenses.  :-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1375 on: February 08, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Super fancy cupcakes. One of my friends said they were "life changing", and now I can't stop thinking about them.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1376 on: February 08, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »
Fancy craft cider that costs $12 a six pack. I caved last week and somehow bought two of them. It’s really freaking good but I’ve already told myself it can’t become a habit. My weekly alcohol spend for me and my husband is supposed to be about $20.

Mmmm. What kind of cider?

Super fancy cupcakes. One of my friends said they were "life changing", and now I can't stop thinking about them.

Mmmm. What kind of cupcakes?

You people are hitting all my buttons... ;-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1377 on: February 08, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »

Mmmm. What kind of cupcakes?

You people are hitting all my buttons... ;-)

She is evil & recommended lemon (my favorite), banana (a close second) & marble. My birthday is on Saturday & I told my husband to skip the gifts & cake, but i wouldn't say no to a few cupcakes. . .

Agent Rosenflower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1378 on: February 08, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »

Two Towns. They’re based in Oregon and make nice dry ciders. Trader Joe’s carries it in my neck of the woods.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: February 08, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »

Two Towns. They’re based in Oregon and make nice dry ciders. Trader Joe’s carries it in my neck of the woods.

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't think I've seen that around here. I mean, er, not that I'd ever spend money on fancy cider *cough*

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1380 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
A Dow of 27,000!

arob54600

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1381 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
I want a Roomba. So so bad.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1382 on: February 09, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
one of these:

Mind you, I already have the previous version. And it's paid off.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1383 on: February 10, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »

Let me help you out.  :-)  BTDT, it was kind of fun to have around, but I was not impressed with the performance, especially considering the cost.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1384 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »

Maybe you can borrow one until the novelty wears off.  I give it 4 +/- 1 days.

I'd retire now if I had not spent so much on things that were hardly or never used.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1385 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »

Do it soon.  You may never recoup the cost in dollars, but I enjoy my detached,heated,airconditioned,insulated garage with a lift enough to make it worthwhile.
It also has nearly livable upstairs that is regrettably being used primarily for storage.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:24:00 PM by M2 pilot »

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1386 on: February 10, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
My neighbours house. Its on the market. I would love to have nobody living next door.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1387 on: February 11, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »

Do it soon.  You may never recoup the cost in dollars, but I enjoy my detached,heated,airconditioned,insulated garage with a lift enough to make it worthwhile.
It also has nearly livable upstairs that is regrettably being used primarily for storage.

That's exactly what I want, but with a completely livable upstairs and then no house. :P

DapperD123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1388 on: February 11, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
A unimog 406......

I've wanted one for about 6 years now. I just haven't NEEDED one..... EVER lol....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1389 on: February 11, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »

Can now report back. My husband picked up six cupcakes & 2 soft sugar cookies for my birthday. Both were easily the best I've ever had, and I'm . . . a bit of a connoisseur. The flake on the cake, the ratio of cake vs frosting, the freshness, the balance of flavor without overpowering sweetness. . . . SWEET.MERCY. So happy. The weekend is over, & I've packed the last two cupcakes for the kids lunches, because I feel like my weight loss goals will not appreciate any more. ;-) 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1390 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »
Wanting a Roomba 960.  I missed the costco deal, but eyeing other BF "deals".... Or I can continue to just vacuum with the vacuum I have...

Are you sure?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1391 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't think I've seen that around here. I mean, er, not that I'd ever spend money on fancy cider *cough*

Oh god yes two towns is amazing. I pity anyone who doesn't live here =D It's good enough, Husband and I drove cases of it hundreds of miles from the tap house to our wedding.

The Bad Apple is wonderful, but at 15% ABV will knock you on your ass and kick your teeth in the process. The Maid Marion is great, but I really much prefer it out of a bottle than a can, I think the can gives it an off flavor. At the very least pour the can into a glass first! I think the only other ones they sell out of state are the Bright cider (good, general, easy drinking) and the ginger ninja (tasty, fine from a can, but not special *enough* that I buy it often).

I am very very spoiled. They do a prickly pair seasonal that's just magnificent. But I think my favorite of all of them is the one they made for the Portland Thorns (women's soccer team), called something like two thorns... it's got rose hip in it and it's just indescribable, SO good.

...might need to go get a growler fill of two towns now, haha.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1392 on: February 15, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
Same thing I've been lusting over forever...

....a drone.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1393 on: February 15, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »

Oh god yes two towns is amazing. I pity anyone who doesn't live here =D It's good enough, Husband and I drove cases of it hundreds of miles from the tap house to our wedding.

The Bad Apple is wonderful, but at 15% ABV will knock you on your ass and kick your teeth in the process. The Maid Marion is great, but I really much prefer it out of a bottle than a can, I think the can gives it an off flavor. At the very least pour the can into a glass first! I think the only other ones they sell out of state are the Bright cider (good, general, easy drinking) and the ginger ninja (tasty, fine from a can, but not special *enough* that I buy it often).

I am very very spoiled. They do a prickly pair seasonal that's just magnificent. But I think my favorite of all of them is the one they made for the Portland Thorns (women's soccer team), called something like two thorns... it's got rose hip in it and it's just indescribable, SO good.

...might need to go get a growler fill of two towns now, haha.

Cider people! My people!! Now I'm East Coast so those brands don't sound familiar, but I've been meaning to visit the west...

There's one brand that is growing in popularity by me... used to be very small and local to me near college, now I'm starting to find it in stores near my hometown. Their standard is fine, I enjoy it, but nothing to write home about. But their ginger... damn. Best ginger cider I've had. Now you can get it in a 4-pack of cans for $15. Those are special occasion drinks lol.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1394 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
A Lagoon 380 cruising catamaran.

You can live a pretty mustachian lifestyle on one of these......the maintenance would be the biggest expense =D

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1395 on: February 17, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
An APS CAM870 Airsoft shell ejecting shotgun.

Imagine a shotgun, but instead of using gunpowder you can charge each shell individually with CO2 and cram 20 airsoft bb's in each shell.  BONUS: it's also relatively safe enough to shoot your friends with! 

It's in no way a bargain, or particularly useful.  But I'll be damned if it isn't frikkin' sweet!  But the $400+ pricetag is a bit much for me right now.  Even without any consumer debt that's a huge amount of opportunity cost for something I'll hardly ever use.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1396 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
I am also looking at a boa in the 30K  price range- DW and I have agreed to rent this summer and see if we really enjoy boating
when we have to drive and do the maintenance

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #1397 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:22 AM »
As I type at the dining room of a small European hotel, I am lusting after this young gal that came to get coffee wearing only a dress shirt that doesn't go too far down!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by swampwiz »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1398 on: February 18, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
An airplane is what I want now.  Sigh.  Luckily I know that I wouldn't even begin to put enough hours on one each year to make it worthwhile.  Still though, the hearts wants what it wants...  :-)

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #1399 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
Housekeeper