Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288487 times)

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1300 on: December 16, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Nintendo Switch so I can play just one game... ZELDA. Bleh.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1301 on: December 16, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
A facelift.  I'm pushing 60, and only my face looks like it's pushing 60.  The rest of me could pass for 40 or less.  Sigh.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1302 on: December 16, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
Nintendo Switch so I can play just one game... ZELDA. Bleh.

There's also Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. I planning on holding off for at least a couple years though, eventually the console prices will drop.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1303 on: December 17, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
My cross country skiing shoes. I left them behind in our cabin last weel because I was convinced I had another pair at home in the closet. Today I couldn't find that pair. I had to go walking instead. Which is a whole different kind of activity.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1304 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:05 AM »
Sold my cabin 4 years ago because we just were not using it anymore and the costs even though we owned it to maintain it with all the boats and toys was insane. It was a big aid in helping being fire'd the sale of it.  Had 18 wonderful years up there and making it our own. Last couple years we only got up there once a year the fourth of July vs at least 8 times in the winter to snowmobile and at least that in the summer for boating, fishing etc.. I look at least once a week at cabins as now I would be able to use more but I wont pull the string. If I need to I can rent a place and havent even done that so that proves I dont need to be up there.  But a bit of me still hurts not having it. So lusting to have a place again and maybe when the last two are gone then if my DW changes her mind about moving out of state we will move up there for the rest of our retirement.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: December 25, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger in an EGO battery powered self propelled mower and chain saw.  My existing work fine but I want something quiet.   I plan on giving the old stuff away or maybe donate them if I can find an easy way.  I also spent $400 on an out of print moth book for myself for Xmas.

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1306 on: December 25, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »
I'm lusting after Huawei Honor 7x costing $200 to replace the corporate iPhone I'm about to lose when I retire in about 4 months.

Instead I ordered a Moto E4 (Verizon prepaid which could be easily unlocked) through Walmart for $40.  It was cancelled due to suspected fraudulent activity in my account. I was offered a $10 discount which I used to reorder the Moto E4.

I still haven't received shipment confirmation so there is a possibility that it might be cancelled again.  If this happened, I fear I'll give in and buy the Honor 7x. (ETA:  Received delivery confirmation as of 12/26, a little sad....)  What the heck I might still end up buying the 7x even when I do get the Moto E4. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:19:33 PM by step_away »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1307 on: December 26, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »
Wow, I think I should be worried. This thread hasn't moved much and I am already lusting over something different. Good Thing I never seem to act out on these things BUT I really like the looks of the New Toyota Camry in white and was checking them on line for a used one. My with 2 of the 4 kids off to college we don,t need both a mini-van and a Highlander and the Highlander would be the one I would considering changing out. Still need minivan for trips, hauling etc..and its newer. Both paid cash for but anyhow also the Camry would get much better gas mileage so I could make a case for it. But wont , at least for now....

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1308 on: December 26, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
Wow, I think I should be worried. This thread hasn't moved much and I am already lusting over something different. Good Thing I never seem to act out on these things BUT I really like the looks of the New Toyota Camry in white and was checking them on line for a used one. My with 2 of the 4 kids off to college we don,t need both a mini-van and a Highlander and the Highlander would be the one I would considering changing out. Still need minivan for trips, hauling etc..and its newer. Both paid cash for but anyhow also the Camry would get much better gas mileage so I could make a case for it. But wont , at least for now....
What model years are your current cars? It's likely you could get something that is newer, smaller, and more efficient without going brand new and still have it come out being a good choice due to mini-vans and Highlanders not being the best thing for a lot of Mustachian lifestyles. And you'd still possibly get the I have something new I didn't have before with more shinier usb charging ports and Bluetooth effect in what are now 6+ year old cars even. I'm ssuming your van/highlander are older than that if you are thinking about replacing them.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1309 on: December 26, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
Currently fighting the urge to order up a hot chocolate delivery to my door. Hedonistic adaptation is available in so many ridiculous ways when you live in Manhattan... :-P

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #1310 on: December 26, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »
vinyl plank flooring.  LUXury vinyl plank flooring

http://usa.beaulieuflooring.com/product/sienna/

Sigh.  I just don't want to have to replace a crap ton of old grout. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1311 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:53 AM »
What model years are your current cars? It's likely you could get something that is newer, smaller, and more efficient without going brand new and still have it come out being a good choice due to mini-vans and Highlanders not being the best thing for a lot of Mustachian lifestyles. And you'd still possibly get the I have something new I didn't have before with more shinier usb charging ports and Bluetooth effect in what are now 6+ year old cars even. I'm ssuming your van/highlander are older than that if you are thinking about replacing them.

Thats the point of me probably not doing it at all.  I have about 93k on the Highlander 2012 and half that on the mini-van. I wouldn't let go of the Mini-van at this point with 2 kids still home and I like having something if I need to haul stuff. I was bored and just looking online at a dealer we have used in the past that has good reputation because they have been advertising the heck out of them and I like the looks of the newer Camry. I like the SE model in white.  And right now for a 2017 with low miles get a pretty good deal but I dont need one. I own my cars out right , never finance but the one reason I was thinking about doing something Is with two kids both now being in freshman year in college I have two Ford Fiestas sitting in my driveway that I am probable going to get rid of.  Keep the Highander maybe as a third car for my next one thats coming up to drive and for the older ones to use when they come home from college and take the proceeds from getting rid of the Fords to get a used Camry. But right now I am just going to hold pact. Benefit of being Fire'd I can move slow and look at things , be patient and unless something makes sense then forget it!

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1312 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Luna Cycle 750 Watt E bike motor and battery to add to one of my cargo bikes.......Seems like the old VCR story, just when you see what you want the technology jumps ahead again so the set up you want always costs $1100....

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1313 on: December 27, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »
A home infrared sauna. It's -42C outside today, which is roughly the same in F.  Instead, I'll go to the gym and use the steam room. Were it not for my dog, I'd stay in that steam room until April.

oh dear god. Is that with or without wind chill? Either way, I have NFI how you managed to go to the gym and not die.

Signed,
an Aussie, who cannot compute -42C as an actual temperature where actual humans live

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: December 28, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
A home infrared sauna. It's -42C outside today, which is roughly the same in F.  Instead, I'll go to the gym and use the steam room. Were it not for my dog, I'd stay in that steam room until April.

oh dear god. Is that with or without wind chill? Either way, I have NFI how you managed to go to the gym and not die.

Signed,
an Aussie, who cannot compute -42C as an actual temperature where actual humans live

I'm guessing without, simply because in my (albeit anecdotal) experience people who live in properly cold climates don't use wind chill temperatures.  It's the people who think they live in cold climates who use wind chill numbers so it actually looks like it's properly cold. :P

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1315 on: December 28, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
I'm guessing without, simply because in my (albeit anecdotal) experience people who live in properly cold climates don't use wind chill temperatures.  It's the people who think they live in cold climates who use wind chill numbers so it actually looks like it's properly cold. :P

Haha. I always notice that, my friends who live in mild climates always use wind chill numbers in the shade in the winter, and the thermometer in their car that was parked in the sun all day in the summer...

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #1316 on: December 28, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
We're staying with my in-laws for the week and my MIL has a Nespresso machine and has been making me half-caff cappuccinos. I got to the point of looking up how much the pods cost on Amazon. $1+ per pod.

I think I'll just enjoy the treat while I'm here.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1317 on: December 29, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
This probably borders on trolling. :D

SpartyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1318 on: December 29, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
I need a larger computer screen than what I have right now, currently using a 15" MBP laptop to review consulting data/reports.  Checked out the new iMac Pro at the local Apple store today with it's 27" 5K monitor.  Amazing computer, looks incredible and is really fast.  But, I have no need for that amount of computing/GPU power.  It would just rip through my time lapse GoPro video attempts though.... 

I'll probably buy an external 4K monitor and drive it with my laptop instead.  I think Costco has a 28" Samsung 4K monitor for $300, which might be a good option.   

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1319 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
This probably borders on trolling. :D
Nice Seiko! :-}

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #1320 on: December 29, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »

I inherited a portable sauna last year. Since I didn't have a use for it I sold it. For $1500usd. They are 2k+ new. (I think it was a Sauna Space - Pocket Sauna)
Honestly, it would be easy to DIY one. It was a canvas tent. A nice bamboo roll-up floor. A board with 4 heat lamps and a regular on/off switch. Plus a stool to sit on...
When I first saw it, I thought it was overpriced for what you got. After I took it apart to ship... I decided it was crazy overpriced. To pay that much for basically a tent with 4 bulbs... I even thought, maybe the bulbs are really expensive, but after looking on Amazon they are ~$5.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #1321 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
I have three laptops and want a fourth. To be fair, one has no hard drive and the other is a backup, so I only use one on a regular basis. Still silly.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1322 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:43 AM »
I'll probably buy an external 4K monitor and drive it with my laptop instead.  I think Costco has a 28" Samsung 4K monitor for $300, which might be a good option.   

I am semi-seriously looking for a ~40" 4K TV to use for my monitor. I work from home so it will be used daily. I can justify buying and can afford it, but not sure I want to spend the money haha..

From my research so far, most of these 4K TV do not look good when used as a monitor, so do your research before buying.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1323 on: January 01, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
I'm holding out for the next round of new monitor tech.

SpartyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1324 on: January 01, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »

I am semi-seriously looking for a ~40" 4K TV to use for my monitor. I work from home so it will be used daily. I can justify buying and can afford it, but not sure I want to spend the money haha..

From my research so far, most of these 4K TV do not look good when used as a monitor, so do your research before buying.

I haven't read or seen anyone who's had good success using a large 4K TV as a monitor for their computer.  I suppose it's possible but I definitely don't need anything as large as ~40".  That would almost be larger than my work desk...

The 28" Samsung monitor at Costco that I was thinking about is not a TV, it's a computer monitor.  Unfortunately it is a TN panel, which is great for gaming (fast response), but not so good for accurate color reproduction.  So I ended up ordering an older 27" LG monitor from B&H (IPS panel).  I probably didn't "future-proof" myself with the purchase, as I don't think it has any USB-C ports (the newer models have USB-C's, but they are ~$300 more expensive).  The LG has a display port so connecting my current laptop will be easy and it was on sale ($270).  No iMac Pro for now.

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #1325 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
Bose Wave Machine.  I like the sound it has a CD player and it does not take up much room.  But I cannot bring myself to pay for it outright.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1326 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

I haven't read or seen anyone who's had good success using a large 4K TV as a monitor for their computer.  I suppose it's possible but I definitely don't need anything as large as ~40".  That would almost be larger than my work desk...

I use our Sony 65" 4K TV (X850D) as my computer monitor. IPS display, 4:4:4 input, and low input lag makes it a pretty good monitor. The 4:4:4 support is critical, as our previous TV did not have it and computer fonts always looked blurry.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1327 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »

The 28" Samsung monitor at Costco that I was thinking about is not a TV, it's a computer monitor.  Unfortunately it is a TN panel, which is great for gaming (fast response), but not so good for accurate color reproduction.  So I ended up ordering an older 27" LG monitor from B&H (IPS panel).  I probably didn't "future-proof" myself with the purchase, as I don't think it has any USB-C ports (the newer models have USB-C's, but they are ~$300 more expensive).  The LG has a display port so connecting my current laptop will be easy and it was on sale ($270).  No iMac Pro for now.

Can't say that anymore :P

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Much under 40 is too small for 4k without scaling, IMO.  My work machine has a 43" Dell 4k display and I wouldn't want it to be much smaller.  I had a 28" a while back and it was far too small - I had to run 125% or 150% scaling to make it usable.

I have a 50" LG 4k HDTV at home - it was purchased for dual-use monitor/TV. It is a bit large for a monitor - I think 40-43" is the sweet spot for usable screen real estate.

If you do use a TV as a monitor, make sure it supports 4:4:4 full chroma at 4k/60hz otherwise text will look terrible.

This is my desk at work.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:09:20 PM by JLee »

SpartyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1328 on: January 03, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

Can't say that anymore :P

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

Much under 40 is too small for 4k without scaling, IMO.  My work machine has a 43" Dell 4k display and I wouldn't want it to be much smaller.  I had a 28" a while back and it was far too small - I had to run 125% or 150% scaling to make it usable.

I have a 50" LG 4k HDTV at home - it was purchased for dual-use monitor/TV. It is a bit large for a monitor - I think 40-43" is the sweet spot for usable screen real estate.

If you do use a TV as a monitor, make sure it supports 4:4:4 full chroma at 4k/60hz otherwise text will look terrible.

This is my desk at work.

Whoa, that's a lot of open programs on your monitor.  Thanks for the review link, I'll take a look.  It's nice that TV's can be used as decent monitors for computer work.  Something to think about for the future.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: January 03, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
Whoa, that's a lot of open programs on your monitor.  Thanks for the review link, I'll take a look.  It's nice that TV's can be used as decent monitors for computer work.  Something to think about for the future.

Yep. I could potentially be working on something that has three different components (requiring three separate windows), then add email and anything else going on (Excel/Notepad++ etc) and I can easily have the whole monitor in use.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #1330 on: January 06, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
Lemon Squeezer. I just used Mum's at her place to squeeze a whole bucket of lemons for her to freeze.

But I don't need this at all so I won't buy one. I only ever use one or two lemons at  a time and don't have the freezer space to freeze juice. My Lemon tree nicely meters out lemons throughout most of the year

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #1331 on: January 06, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
Strippers

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1332 on: January 07, 2018, 01:26:45 AM »
My Lemon tree nicely meters out lemons throughout most of the year

I'm lusting a bit over warmer weather and sunshine. Man...that would be a thing. Since it's warmed up, t's -14C° right now. Balmy and still a lot warmer than farther up north.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1333 on: January 07, 2018, 02:27:07 AM »
My Lemon tree nicely meters out lemons throughout most of the year

I'm lusting a bit over warmer weather and sunshine. Man...that would be a thing. Since it's warmed up, t's -14C° right now. Balmy and still a lot warmer than farther up north.

Amen! middle of the week suppose to for us! finally, if they get it right!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1334 on: January 08, 2018, 03:14:24 AM »
All day they were advertising it being the last day for the Camper/RV show. There were some I was really lusting over! in the advertisement and did for several hours. Smaller ones I though would be nice to get up and go places but the bigger ones to just live in. I stayed away from the computer so i didnt start looking at them on line so that was the end of it.

cunharez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1335 on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:07 PM »
a $60,000 1963 Alfa 2600 Sprint--geez it's beautiful...sigh.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1963-alfa-romeo-2600-sprint/

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
a $60,000 1963 Alfa 2600 Sprint--geez it's beautiful...sigh.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1963-alfa-romeo-2600-sprint/

Looking at Bring A Trailer it looks like it should be possible to find one for half that. Example auction (reserve not met):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-alfa-romeo-2600-sprint/

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1337 on: January 09, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
I still want one of these and have a friend selling one. Blah.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1338 on: January 09, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
The Tesla Model 3 that I currently have a reservation for.  Obviously, embracing an early retirement goal would have me canceling that.  We're not all-in, though.  DW still wants a new kitchen as well. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1339 on: January 09, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
A Sprinter Van, and everything required to make it full time livable.

Light camping gear for backpack hike camping (current tent and sleeping system are extremely heavy car camping versions).

A new laptop......my 2010 Macbook pro has a cracked screen, 1000+ cycles on the battery, and is running an unsupported version of Mac OS.

I'll be getting none of these in 2018 (besides maybe a lighter sleep system/hammock for hiking).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1340 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
A big detached garage with a lift.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1341 on: January 10, 2018, 02:08:43 AM »

I'll raise you (no pun intended) a  heated, insulated garage with a lift

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1342 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:32 AM »
Adelaide to Darwin on the Ghan - platinum service please!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1343 on: January 10, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the forum. My old crappy Staples office chair (I work in a home office) is busted and the gas lift fails every 20 minutes, slowly driving me insane. I've been lusting after a fancy new office chair, specifically this HAG Capisco even though I haven't even tried it and it probably isn't for everyone: https://www.fully.com/hag-capisco-chair.html

I even got an Ikea Markus in great shape for $20 on Kijiji but it isn't comfortable for me, so I don't know what to do now.

I do have a standing desk riser so I only use my chair about half the time.

Can you swap the seat of the old chair with broken gas lift onto the gas lift and rollers of the Ikea chair?

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1344 on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
A house in the neighborhood where DD attends daycare. UGH that would be the dream... walk kid to daycare, walk back to home office, walk to the park and giant lake/swimming area/playground, easy bike to the grocery store, hardware store, drugstore.

Tragically starter homes in this neighborhood are $350k-$400k and few to no rentals available. We unintentionally sent DD to school in a neighborhood we can't afford to live in :(

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1345 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Hello all, I am new to the forum. My old crappy Staples office chair (I work in a home office) is busted and the gas lift fails every 20 minutes, slowly driving me insane. I've been lusting after a fancy new office chair, specifically this HAG Capisco even though I haven't even tried it and it probably isn't for everyone: https://www.fully.com/hag-capisco-chair.html

I even got an Ikea Markus in great shape for $20 on Kijiji but it isn't comfortable for me, so I don't know what to do now.

I do have a standing desk riser so I only use my chair about half the time.

You can use PVC pipes to clamp around the shock shaft to hold the chair up.

Search YouTube for "repair sinking office chair"

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1346 on: January 11, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »

Oof.  Both of these things.  I had to change the brakes on my car the other day on a sloping gravel driveway...it was terrible.  If I had a warm garage to do it in, I'd probably just start taking stuff on and off just for fun!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1347 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
A $900 coat. It would be so warm and cozy with the fur lining and I would be unstoppable out in the cold;  the snow and ice would clear themselves as I approached.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1348 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »

I'll raise you as well - a heated, insulated garage with a lift with a mother-in-law/media room/gym upstairs.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1349 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
Just feeling the urge to spend in general. Got a lot of cash and seemingly no where else to put it right now.

My urge to spend most often manifests itself in the form of a 4K TV. Ultimately I tell myself that it won't make me any happier.

I just gotta hold out until the weather gets better and I can spend on things I feel good about.