Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288289 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1250 on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
I know I've posted in this thread but can't find it. My current desire is the 2019 Volvo XC40. In Amazon Blue.

That is a nice looking car. but it certainly costs a lot.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1251 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
I know I've posted in this thread but can't find it. My current desire is the 2019 Volvo XC40. In Amazon Blue.

Yeah. Seems like $40k would be hard to justify when you can find used XC60s for $10-15k.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1252 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
2019? It's not even 2018 yet. Confusing car industry.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1253 on: December 01, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
I kind of want an even clownier PC monitor (38" ultrawide) than I already have....a 34"

While I do use a monitor daily, it isn't something I need or really should want.

Holding off thus far, but if a good sale crops up, I'll have to continue to fight temptation.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1254 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
Pretty much every bra in my size at ThirdLove.  I have an uncommon size and my bras are all so old and are getting uncomfortable but at $77/pop, I've been resisting so far.  Not sure I will much longer though...

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1255 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

IMO that is one ugly ass car. Clearly everyone has different taste.
I find it milquetoast.  Looks like an X whatever.  All crossovers look pretty darn similar to me.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #1256 on: December 01, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
I kind of want an even clownier PC monitor (38" ultrawide) than I already have....a 34"

While I do use a monitor daily, it isn't something I need or really should want.

Holding off thus far, but if a good sale crops up, I'll have to continue to fight temptation.

I just upgraded from 24" 1080p 60hz to 24" 1440p 165hz w/ G-sync.

Facepunch me if you want, but Doom (2017) is essentially transcendent at that speed/resolution.

I got it on Kijiji (Craigslist analog) so I guess there's that...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:35:57 PM by BiochemicalDJ »

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1257 on: December 01, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
2019? It's not even 2018 yet. Confusing car industry.

Yeah, apparently it's coming out in Feb 2018? Still pretty far ahead.

I hope to hand down my 2013 Honda CR-V to my daughter in about four years, at which point it will be nine years old. And then maybe I could get a four-year-old 2019 Volvo XC40. In Amazon Blue. :)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »
I like Volvos. A lot. I almost bought a S80 once, but made myself not spend what I don't have and stick with my boring Mazda instead. When the V60s came out, I really wanted one. Stuck with the Mazda instead, sigh. I definitely would love an XC90. I might have failed to keep sticking with my Mazda if the XC90 just had one of those hatch doors that open without you having to touch it. What is that called? Anyway, so far I have saved myself from spending money on a Volvo by telling myself that if I have to lift that hatch door myself, might as well stick with the boring, cheap Mazda.

Some of us come naturally to frugality. Some of us have to play mind games with ourselves.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1259 on: December 02, 2017, 03:07:29 PM »
Pretty much every bra in my size at ThirdLove.  I have an uncommon size and my bras are all so old and are getting uncomfortable but at $77/pop, I've been resisting so far.  Not sure I will much longer though...

IMO, that's not a stupid thing. Having the right support for your body is important for both comfort and health. A properly fitting bra is like arch supports to prevent pain, or a particular prescription for glasses so that you can read without headaches. If you need it, you need it.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1260 on: December 04, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »

IMO, that's not a stupid thing. Having the right support for your body is important for both comfort and health. A properly fitting bra is like arch supports to prevent pain, or a particular prescription for glasses so that you can read without headaches. If you need it, you need it.

That's... kinda reasonable. The price is ludicrous, but a good-fitting bra feels sooo good! Do they ever go on sale?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1261 on: December 04, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
A new (used) car. I'm about to spend $700 on new tires for a car worth maybe $2000 after I replace the tires. It feels silly, but it's the most economical choice right now because it has a lot of new parts/fluids and the issues are mostly unnecessary though a little annoying (no heat, radio whines, etc). If I bought another car I'd probably replace all the fluids, do some preventative maintenance, and possibly have to get new tires anyway. My car will also have almost no depreciation from now on so it's the worst time to sell it. But it would be nice to have a car that's manual where everything works. Sigh...

On the bright side, I should have no problem meeting the minimum spend on my new credit cards.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1262 on: December 04, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »

I can't say I'm a fan of the ultrawides.   Work bought me a 43" Dell 4k and it's lovely.

BoneTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1263 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
Just saw an add for a Samsung Star Wars Powerbot. I would never in a million buy something like this, but the Darth Vader bot calls to my inner Star Wars fangirl.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1264 on: December 05, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »

I just upgraded from 24" 1080p 60hz to 24" 1440p 165hz w/ G-sync.

Facepunch me if you want, but Doom (2017) is essentially transcendent at that speed/resolution.

I got it on Kijiji (Craigslist analog) so I guess there's that...

I broke and purchased a 24" 1080p 144hz, but without the gysnc.  I really wanted the gsync, but I couldn't justify the extra expense :(

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1265 on: December 05, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
DSLR camera for our vacations and adventures.......

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1266 on: December 05, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
I really want to buy an expensive hand made ceramic reusable coffee cup. The problem is that I already have an expensive reusable coffee cup which I use all the time and it works perfectly for my needs, I don’t need another one.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1267 on: December 05, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

On the topic of cameras, I downsized from a DSLR to a mirrorless.  I like to think that with a smaller camera, I'm more likely to actually use it...but over the years, phone cameras have gotten so much better that it may now be worth getting a DSLR again, lol.

FWIW I have a Sony A5000 and I quite like it.

HomeSweetLab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1268 on: December 05, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

On the topic of cameras, I downsized from a DSLR to a mirrorless.  I like to think that with a smaller camera, I'm more likely to actually use it...but over the years, phone cameras have gotten so much better that it may now be worth getting a DSLR again, lol.

As an amateur photographer, I've reached the same conclusion concerning phone cameras. I currently have a Sony RX100 II because, personally, I know that I would rarely carry anything larger than a pocket-sized camera. And as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you...

When I first got the Sony RX100 II in 2013, it was so superior to my cell phone camera at the time that it didn't even seem fair to compare them. It blew the cell phone out of the water in every single scenario. Fast forward to 2017, and I honestly can hardly tell the difference between RX100 shots and the shots on my Moto Z Play in adequate lighting. The only situation where the RX100 is still superior is in very low light (night) shots. There was an article on a camera blog a while back that compared the Samsung Galaxy S7 to an RX100 III and reached the same conclusion: Only category where there's still a noticeable difference is very low light shots.

However, with the new software algorithms and dual camera set-ups that the premium cell phone suppliers are rolling out to tackle the problems inherent to smaller sensors (poor nighttime clarity and lack of bokeh in portraits), I think the gap will continue to narrow. My girlfriend just got a IPhone X (No, she didn't buy it. Her spendypants parents bought it for her) and after playing around with it in the aforementioned scenarios, I'm pretty amazed by the night shots that camera is capable of. IMO within the next few years the gap is going to become so narrow that it's going to be really hard to justify buying a dedicated camera unless you're a professional photographer. Especially due to the rule I already mentioned: "The best camera is the one you have with you."

With new RX100s coming in around $1000, I would honestly rather drop that money on one of the flagship phones at this point to have a camera that is nearly as good in every scenario that I will (almost) always have on me and can do a lot of other useful things, like tell me where I am and allow me to contact people. :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1269 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »

As an amateur photographer, I've reached the same conclusion concerning phone cameras. I currently have a Sony RX100 II because, personally, I know that I would rarely carry anything larger than a pocket-sized camera. And as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you...

When I first got the Sony RX100 II in 2013, it was so superior to my cell phone camera at the time that it didn't even seem fair to compare them. It blew the cell phone out of the water in every single scenario. Fast forward to 2017, and I honestly can hardly tell the difference between RX100 shots and the shots on my Moto Z Play in adequate lighting. The only situation where the RX100 is still superior is in very low light (night) shots. There was an article on a camera blog a while back that compared the Samsung Galaxy S7 to an RX100 III and reached the same conclusion: Only category where there's still a noticeable difference is very low light shots.

However, with the new software algorithms and dual camera set-ups that the premium cell phone suppliers are rolling out to tackle the problems inherent to smaller sensors (poor nighttime clarity and lack of bokeh in portraits), I think the gap will continue to narrow. My girlfriend just got a IPhone X (No, she didn't buy it. Her spendypants parents bought it for her) and after playing around with it in the aforementioned scenarios, I'm pretty amazed by the night shots that camera is capable of. IMO within the next few years the gap is going to become so narrow that it's going to be really hard to justify buying a dedicated camera unless you're a professional photographer. Especially due to the rule I already mentioned: "The best camera is the one you have with you."

With new RX100s coming in around $1000, I would honestly rather drop that money on one of the flagship phones at this point to have a camera that is nearly as good in every scenario that I will (almost) always have on me and can do a lot of other useful things, like tell me where I am and allow me to contact people. :)

I think the gap will continue to narrow, but I think phones will continue to struggle in low light simply due to sensor size limitations. I have a fancy dual camera phone (OnePlus 5) and it is terrible for low light. Of course, this is compared to my f/1.4 prime lens on my A5000. :)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1270 on: December 06, 2017, 05:07:55 AM »
Purpose

When did we as a society decided your job should be fulfilling, and not a way to pay for your life necessities/your lifestyle?

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1271 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

I am very torn it changes daily for me haha. I finally got a new phone the S8 and the camera seems amazing but then I think of trips we are taking soon such as alaska and wonder if it would be up to the challenge? I also have an older waterproof nikon Point and shoot that is ok probably worse than the phone. I worry I wont invest the time to really make a DSLR worth it or if I do I will spend too much time trying to take "good" pictures instead of just enjoying the moments

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1272 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
Gloomhaven, a board game that's $140.

Maybe after it drops in price, used isn't really an option because the game develops after each play when you discover new things and I think you physically alter cards/components. Supposedly it offers 100+ hours of playtime...

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1273 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »

I am very torn it changes daily for me haha. I finally got a new phone the S8 and the camera seems amazing but then I think of trips we are taking soon such as alaska and wonder if it would be up to the challenge? I also have an older waterproof nikon Point and shoot that is ok probably worse than the phone. I worry I wont invest the time to really make a DSLR worth it or if I do I will spend too much time trying to take "good" pictures instead of just enjoying the moments

On my trip to Europe last summer I took a backpack filled with a few thousand dollars of camera gear. 2 days into our 2 week trip I was taking pictures exclusively on my cell phone, and was annoyed at having to transport the backpack from hotel to hotel as we traveled. If I had been by myself, and interested in taking some really nice pictures for the sake of taking really nice pictures (for example being at a particular place at a particular time of day when the crowds were low or the light was just right) I would have been sad to not have my DSLR, but for doing normal touristy things with my family I was more than happy with the camera on my Nexus 6P for capturing the memories.

Photography is fun hobby. Having a nice camera and set of lenses is an enjoyable luxury, but definitely not a travel necessity.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1274 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1275 on: December 06, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

This is the sort of thing you tell someone you want for Christmas/Chanukah/birthday/etc. They're an affordable gift that you will use all the time and you'll smile and think of the giver every time you wear them. Perfect.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #1276 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:20 AM »
Newly released information on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler that will have the 3.0L diesel. They are stating it will have over 30mpg and 442ft/lbs of torque...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1277 on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
Newly released information on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler that will have the 3.0L diesel. They are stating it will have over 30mpg and 442ft/lbs of torque...

This is good, but not unheard of for diesel. We've seen similar numbers over the last 6+ years:
2011 VW Touareg - 28 mpg / 406 ft-lb
2013 Mercedes GLK - 32 mpg / 369 ft-lb
2014 BMW X5 - 31 mpg / 416 ft-lb

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1278 on: December 07, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »

This is good, but not unheard of for diesel. We've seen similar numbers over the last 6+ years:

None of those are shaped like bricks, though. :p

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1279 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »

None of those are shaped like bricks, though. :p

True, but they aren't all far off...

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1280 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

That sounds freaking awesome. All the <2017 MY Jeeps will drop in value faster than you can say "Salt Life Bro"

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1281 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »

Think I'm about to buy an 06 2.8L diesel Liberty for a daily driver. Fuel mileage isn't quite that good, but it's 26 highway. I care not about torque as long as it goes, and if I need extreme offroad, I already have a gas-powered TJ.

I don't think my impending purchase qualifies as very stupid, though; it's $6,000.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1282 on: December 08, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »
Christmas is approaching and I was very tempted to buy a almond based cake:

https://www.europris.no/kransekake-18-ringer-ferdig-pyntet-104140.html

I ordered one from the cafeteria at work and received it yesterday. And now I notice that the cake in the link is much cheaper. Let's hope the one that I bought tastes good.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1283 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

Think I'm about to buy an 06 2.8L diesel Liberty for a daily driver. Fuel mileage isn't quite that good, but it's 26 highway. I care not about torque as long as it goes, and if I need extreme offroad, I already have a gas-powered TJ.

I don't think my impending purchase qualifies as very stupid, though; it's $6,000.

Purchase price doesn't seem stupid, but it's not going to be the cheapest vehicle to own and operate. Plus, you already own one unmustachian Jeep vehichle.

See also:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1284 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
New earrings. Is there anything more pointless than jewelry?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1285 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »

Purchase price doesn't seem stupid, but it's not going to be the cheapest vehicle to own and operate. Plus, you already own one unmustachian Jeep vehichle.

See also:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

I don't need a 4WD vehicle to make me safer. I need it in order to get to my house.

The Wrangler is a fine thing, but it's over 200K miles (no facepunches; that's 10K miles a year average for those keeping score at home, not that we bought it new fifteen years ago when we got it). Plus it gets 14 mpg. And the heat doesn't really work (and is not really repairable), as I remembered to my chagin this morning. Useful for significant weather events still, but no good as a daily driver.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1286 on: December 08, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

Makeup? Truck testicles? Designer labels?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1287 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »

Wow, how did I miss that?
I guess some men are so proud of owning a penis, but secretly unsure they deserve it...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1288 on: December 08, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »

I guess some men are so proud of owning a penis, but secretly unsure they deserve it...

I always assume it's miniscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1289 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »

I always assume it's minuscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Indeed. Well at least it's a cheaper way to broadcast it, compared to the usual huge truck or big gun?

accolay

• Pencil Stache

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1291 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
New living room furniture for my cats to shred. 

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1292 on: December 09, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
I would like some sharpening stones an axe sharpener and a strop:
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Naniwa-Traditional-Waterstone-P565.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzse-7ub71wIVErnACh2Qew_BEAYYAiABEgLtIPD_BwE

I used to shave with a straight razor, and had a full compliment of pricey sharpening stones. The stones in that link are a relative bargain.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1293 on: December 10, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
Sigh. A new TV. Husband and I have had the same one since we moved out together (like 6 years ago?) So it's not super old. And it still works perfectly fine, and is a reasonable size (like 42"?) the biggest problem is that it doesn't have some of the ports we want, and it's a weird screen ratio, so casting from the computer to it has always been a pain. We don't even watch that much TV, and it's fine for stuff like netflix, but sometimes we like to play games on our PC on the TV, and it takes like 30+ minutes to set up each time- if we can even get it to work. It would just be nice to have something with modern hardware and settings so it would work more easily. But spending $500-1k for something when you already own something that works just fine, and is NOT a priority in your life, is just silly.

(...*looks at costco's current TV offerings*)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1294 on: December 10, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E (White Diamond Pearl with Beige interior) with a UXB8200 UnderCover hard foldable rear tonneau cover...    Not that I'm really seriously looking...

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1295 on: December 10, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Actually....There a few other things as well.

Always kinda wanted one of these:
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-perfecto-leather-jacket.htm

Some boots too:
https://www.thefryecompany.com/mens

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1296 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
Sigh. A new TV. Husband and I have had the same one since we moved out together (like 6 years ago?) So it's not super old. And it still works perfectly fine, and is a reasonable size (like 42"?) the biggest problem is that it doesn't have some of the ports we want, and it's a weird screen ratio, so casting from the computer to it has always been a pain. We don't even watch that much TV, and it's fine for stuff like netflix, but sometimes we like to play games on our PC on the TV, and it takes like 30+ minutes to set up each time- if we can even get it to work. It would just be nice to have something with modern hardware and settings so it would work more easily. But spending $500-1k for something when you already own something that works just fine, and is NOT a priority in your life, is just silly.

(...*looks at costco's current TV offerings*)

You could always sell this one and buy another one used but without the port and aspect ratio issues. I got a 32" on Craigslist for $75.

I really can't see myself having a large TV again. I sold my 46" (which my mom pulled for free from a dumpster years ago and fixed for $50!) because it was a pain to move and produced a LOT of heat. Last week I had to go to Walmart to buy a 65" TV for work and I was almost embarrassed to walk across the store with a TV that big...

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1297 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
New living room furniture for my cats to shred.

At least you're a realist!

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #1298 on: December 11, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
I have wanted a PENN International 30 (actually 2 of them...) since I was 11... I've resisted it this long... Gah
https://www.amazon.com/Penn-International-Trolling-Reel-30VSW/dp/B003OJXCXG
Ah well, maybe if I find someone getting rid of all their gear and it is cheap..

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1299 on: December 16, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »

I always assume it's minuscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Indeed. Well at least it's a cheaper way to broadcast it, compared to the usual huge truck or big gun?

No, no no.  Truck testicles must be hung from an $80,000 Ford Raptor to really drive home the point (preferably with even more $$ in after-market crap and a big gun to carry around inside).

Stupid thing I keep thinking of buying:  Breville Smart Oven Air - aka a $350 toaster oven.  It also air frys and can be used as a dehydrator, and has all sorts of programming features that would probably malfunction as soon as it's off warranty.