Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288290 times)

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1050 on: September 16, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
Three carat round cut Imperial topaz or Paraiba tourmaline. Anyone got a loose one they don't need?

AniMaL11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1051 on: September 16, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »
Going to add an iPhone X to my list.

I probably will hold out until my current iPhone 6plus breaks.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: September 16, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm of the opinion that chandeliers are essential. :)
I'm not sure that the original intention of this thread was to enable each other, but I'll take it.

Offer's gone in on the chandelier.

Sorry/not sorry.  ;)  Good luck on the offer!

Navier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1053 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
A PS4 Pro. And I don't even have a 4K TV (and either won't buy one soon, at least until a 21:9 exists)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1054 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
A new car.  I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf (electric car) and spend a lot of time reading about the Bolt, and Volt, and Tesla 3, and new Leaf, and Ioniq, and E-Golf, and on and on and on.  Two, three, maybe 4 times my current range.  All the fancy new bells and whistles. 

And yet, I have a car that does exactly what I need, with minimal fuss.  Lusting after a new car is stupid.

The Bolt (for maximum range) and Ioniq EV (for maximum efficiency) both look really nice. We are planning on buying an electric car at some point. Just not sure when that point is yet.

Yes!  Those are my 2 faves too.  I keep telling myself to wait 'til I can get a 3 year old off-lease Bolt.  Electric Ioniqs are only going to be sold in California so I doubt I'll find a used one here in Massachusetts.  But if I do it will be a tough call.  In 3 years.  Until then, must stop looking at insideEVs.com.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1056 on: September 19, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
Lusting to go to the underwater Poseidon Resort in Fiji:

With a 30k/week pricetag i might have to consider it lucky that the place never actually got built.

That's pretty cool, but..for a lot less money, you could go diving. :)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #1057 on: September 19, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
Gap Moto leather pants http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1084785&pcid=1072171&vid=1&pid=837280002

Ridiculous price, even at 40% off. But, so cool. What if they fit perfectly? What if that's all I spend on my wardrobe for the whole season? How about for a whole year?

No? Oh, well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1058 on: September 19, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
I want this...

Thinking about selling my sports car (~3x the value of the bike) and buying one. We'll see if I can make myself do it - have had my car for nearly 10 years now and it's hard to let go.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1059 on: September 19, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
Gap Moto leather pants http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1084785&pcid=1072171&vid=1&pid=837280002

Ridiculous price, even at 40% off. But, so cool. What if they fit perfectly? What if that's all I spend on my wardrobe for the whole season? How about for a whole year?

No? Oh, well.

I didn't know the gap even sold things that cost that much at MSRP. It's not exactly a high fashion store. I mean....$500 pants I wouldn't be considering the GAP as my source.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
Bar top two person arcade game......played a few rounds of the TMNT arcade game with my 7 year old nephew this weekend at a pizza place.....and now I want one in my basement. It would, "only" be ~$500....

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #1061 on: September 19, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »

No? Oh, well.

I didn't know the gap even sold things that cost that much at MSRP. It's not exactly a high fashion store. I mean....$500 pants I wouldn't be considering the GAP as my source.

Well, that's okay then. It's a good thing I didn't get suckered in by clothes that come from a store that should only sell cheap stuff. That was a close call.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1062 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »

No? Oh, well.

Well, that's okay then. It's a good thing I didn't get suckered in by clothes that come from a store that should only sell cheap stuff. That was a close call.

I'm not an expert as I don't buy many clothes and especially women's clothes, but my impression is of the brands GAP owns the quality/price goes from least to most expensive 1. Old Navy 2. Gap 3. Banana republic. I would have expected something like this to be over at Banana republic, but it's entirely possible they've changed their branding image in the last decade or so while I haven't been paying attention ;) The pants do look awesome.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »
I want this...

Thinking about selling my sports car (~3x the value of the bike) and buying one. We'll see if I can make myself do it - have had my car for nearly 10 years now and it's hard to let go.

Going to need to see pic of the sport car before we can help you make an informed decision :) Having said that, I understand it is hard to let go. I may have to sell mine here shortly - still struggling and debating what to do.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1064 on: September 19, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
I want this...

Going to need to see pic of the sport car before we can help you make an informed decision :) Having said that, I understand it is hard to let go. I may have to sell mine here shortly - still struggling and debating what to do.

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
An older Jeep Wrangler. I have had two at various times in the past and have always loved them. Beyond the vehicle itself I love the Jeep community and 4 wheeling with my family is so much fun. I am a car nut at heart but am currently driving a Nissan Leaf as my commuter. Its totally soulless but its so cheap to operate. The Jeep would be a third vehicle just for weekends and snowy days. I only plan to spend about $6k for the model I want and to make matters worse (better?) my wife is totally on board with the purchase. In a longer term sense I really want an e90 BMW M3. My dream car but those go for about $25k. But that high revving V8 is just a beautiful thing.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1066 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
I want this...

Are you running a 400+bhp tune?   If not, tell me what is under the hood right now :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1067 on: September 19, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
I want this...

Are you running a 400+bhp tune?   If not, tell me what is under the hood right now :)

The tune currently running in the ECU is 430whp because I don't have enough intercooler to sustain 460whp, but yes with about 30 seconds and my laptop I'd be at 460.  I don't have a dyno sheet for the 430whp pull.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but yes that is a dyno sheet from the engine that's currently in my car.  The only differences is I now have GSC valve springs and titanium retainers, whereas the dyno pull was done with stock springs/retainers.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
Apple Watch 3

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1069 on: September 19, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
I want this...

Whoa... my vote is not to sell the car. You will regret it. They do not make those anymore.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #1070 on: September 20, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

And it's currently $50 off!  Sous vide on a budget, who'd have thunk it possible?!?  Next to the OTR ring, my new temptation.  :)

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #1071 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »
A new car.  I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf (electric car) and spend a lot of time reading about the Bolt, and Volt, and Tesla 3, and new Leaf, and Ioniq, and E-Golf, and on and on and on.  Two, three, maybe 4 times my current range.  All the fancy new bells and whistles. 

And yet, I have a car that does exactly what I need, with minimal fuss.  Lusting after a new car is stupid.

The Bolt (for maximum range) and Ioniq EV (for maximum efficiency) both look really nice. We are planning on buying an electric car at some point. Just not sure when that point is yet.

Not sure if Hyundai will ever earn legitimacy and trust after their fabricating MPG from a few years back. 

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1072 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

I'm in the same boat. I drive a '14 Volt. It suits my needs perfectly (unless I forget to plug in, d'oh!). But I'm dying to buy a Bolt or Tesla Model 3. Maybe in 3-4 years when they start turning up on the used market.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1073 on: September 20, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
Reading this thread is like an alcoholic casually browsing a liquor store.

You guys, I'm trying to quit this stuff!

+1. This thread also means my husband strolls by, makes noises like a kid in a candy shop, and starts browsing craigslist.

Autocross: not even once.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1074 on: September 20, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »

I'm in the same boat. I drive a '14 Volt. It suits my needs perfectly (unless I forget to plug in, d'oh!). But I'm dying to buy a Bolt or Tesla Model 3. Maybe in 3-4 years when they start turning up on the used market.

This is a great example of hedonic adaptation! I would kill to have a Volt or even a 2012 Leaf but certainly don't want to pay the money for either of them since my car is worth maybe $2k, but you guys have them and lust after the next thing. I think I'd save more by keeping my car with the heat not working and AC barely working, rather than pay extra for a fully functioning car with extra bells and whistles. Even though I do use premium car and get <30 MPG.

humesapprentice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1075 on: September 20, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
Strabucks coffee drinks.

I am a total addict. They are expensive and coffee at home is ultra cheap, but its hard to quit :)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1076 on: September 20, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »
I really need to stay off craigslist. This miata was just posted, $7k. 88k miles. In my favorite color. I've only seen one other in this color on craigslist recently and it had 200k miles. If I needed a car today I'd get this one hands down.

Damnit. All the little issues with my car aren't helping (no heat, weak AC, messed up radio)...

But there will be others...Just maybe not on the exact day my car finally dies.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #1077 on: September 20, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »

For me it's more of a list of things I still don't want. But most mustachians seem to have a weakness for cars and tech that I do not share. My lust lies elsewhere.... [still sushi]

Great. Now I need sushi.

I share this weakness. If you love sushi enough that you're spending more than $50 a month on sushi, I'd recommend considering just learning how to do it yourself.

It was a little pricey to get into, but after buying a good sushi cooker (Zojirushi), a good sushi knife, rolling mat and some ingredients (I spent like $350 to get started), I began to make my own sushi. In lieu of raw fish, I used whatever frozen fish I had in my freezer and cooked that up as a substitute.

My rolls were pretty terrible at first , but I've gotten very good at it. What once was $50-75 Friday night outs of sushi turned into very cheap date nights. For $20 I can make enough sushi to feed 4-5 people. Plus there are a ton of recipes and different things to try.

After I gained some confidence, I started to order some frozen sushi grade tuna online.

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1078 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
Food.

I'm trying to cut back for optimal leanness (financially and physically lol) but damn is it hard. The urge to go to the store and buy junk food and premade meals is constant.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1079 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »

For me it's more of a list of things I still don't want. But most mustachians seem to have a weakness for cars and tech that I do not share. My lust lies elsewhere.... [still sushi]

Great. Now I need sushi.

I share this weakness. If you love sushi enough that you're spending more than $50 a month on sushi, I'd recommend considering just learning how to do it yourself.

It was a little pricey to get into, but after buying a good sushi cooker (Zojirushi), a good sushi knife, rolling mat and some ingredients (I spent like $350 to get started), I began to make my own sushi. In lieu of raw fish, I used whatever frozen fish I had in my freezer and cooked that up as a substitute.

My rolls were pretty terrible at first , but I've gotten very good at it. What once was $50-75 Friday night outs of sushi turned into very cheap date nights. For $20 I can make enough sushi to feed 4-5 people. Plus there are a ton of recipes and different things to try.

After I gained some confidence, I started to order some frozen sushi grade tuna online.

$350 to start!?!

A bamboo sheet is <$5, some sushi rice and seaweed is <$10. Why do you need a sushi cooker? Legitimate question, because my rice in a pot doesn't really taste much different from the restaurant sushi rice...
Even a sushi knife isn't really necessary as long as you have a sharp knife and don't mind your sushi not looking 100% perfect.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1080 on: September 20, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
This thread is what got me going on a coffee snob kick. An electric kettle and a stainless steel french press later, I'm finished for now. Threw out the Mr. Coffee automatic coffee pot. Then regretted it, because a french press is a pain to clean and it requires a ton more coffee and oh now I have to grind my own beans because it's better and oh now I want a burr grinder and oh now I want expensive beans...

It ended this week; I sent my husband out for Kirkland beans and they're fine. The burr grinder has been deemed unnecessary. The hand-me-down blade grinder will be fine.

But yes, this thread is dangerous. I don't know if other people do this, but I have an Amazon wish list that keeps me from buying anything. Putting an item on the list and then looking at the list fondly every couple of days seems to satisfy me as much as actually owning the thing I'm lusting after. Weird, huh?

My preciousssss...

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #1081 on: September 20, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »
A Blichmann BoilerMaker G2 brew kettle. I have a perfectly good brew pot so I don't need it. But it has a built in thermometer and a sight glass and a valve. I wouldn't have to *gasp* use an external thermometer to get a temperature reading or look in through the top at the markings on this side of the kettle to see how full it is or siphon instead of draining to the fermenter.

Now that I have typed all this out I'm getting an itchy drill finger. I really could just mount a thermometer, sight glass, and valve on my current brew kettle.

Now to figure out suitable workarounds to my lust for a hot liquor tank, mash tun, conical fermenter(s), kegerator, and kegs.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1082 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »

Not sure if Hyundai will ever earn legitimacy and trust after their fabricating MPG from a few years back.

There seems to be controversy with just about every manufacturer. I can think of past ethics problems with GM, VW, Ford, and Nissan. If you're going for trust then that eliminates a good chunk of the currently available electric cars.

What I like about the Ioniq EV is that it has a coefficient of drag of 0.24. That tells me they designed the car for efficiency instead of trying to make the design trendy or just tack on more batteries to compensate for poor aerodynamics. For comparison, the Chevy Bolt has a coefficient of drag of 0.32.

I do wish that it was rear-wheel drive, made by Toyota/Honda/Subaru, and had twice as much power, though...

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1083 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »
But yes, this thread is dangerous. I don't know if other people do this, but I have an Amazon wish list that keeps me from buying anything. Putting an item on the list and then looking at the list fondly every couple of days seems to satisfy me as much as actually owning the thing I'm lusting after. Weird, huh?

My preciousssss...

I do that too. Not so much with Amazon because that's a little more dangerous. I eventually end up moving stuff to my cart. But I love to buy my kids clothes. Maybe because I was poor growing up and used to long for nice, new clothes? I dunno. But I finally figured out that just putting clothes in the cart and then closing my computer and doing something else satisfied the urge and I don't need to actually buy them. I mean, they still have plenty of clothes, but not expensive, brand-new things.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1084 on: September 20, 2017, 10:05:38 PM »

And it's currently $50 off!  Sous vide on a budget, who'd have thunk it possible?!?  Next to the OTR ring, my new temptation.  :)

I was so tempted to order one after seeing that link, and then I found out you can get ordinary sous vide (non bluetooth) on Amazon for 90 bucks. I don't need my phone to tell me when food is ready...but now I'm tempted to buy one. Perfectly cooked steak every time is nice, though the problem I've had with these in the past (roommate had one) is that it doesn't make marbled steak delicious (not enough heat to change the fat, I guess?).  Hm.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1085 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
OK this is pretty stupid... And slightly embarrassing. I have a NW of roughly $2.7M (guessing at $400k on the paid off house).. I lust after $5M, for no other reason than to be extra safe.

We spend about $30k/year and earn $20k in rent.. Yeah pretty stupid I know.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1086 on: September 21, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
OK this is pretty stupid... And slightly embarrassing. I have a NW of roughly $2.7M (guessing at $400k on the paid off house).. I lust after $5M, for no other reason than to be extra safe.

We spend about $30k/year and earn $20k in rent.. Yeah pretty stupid I know.

You might be there in 7-10 years without doing anything but waiting!

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #1087 on: September 21, 2017, 06:35:10 AM »

What's your '12 Leaf worth?  I think we're due to see some drastic improvements in e-vehicles -> range, more charging options, etc.  Tesla has really been pushing the envelope.  BMW is going away from the traditional combustion engine as well.

Like you said, if you don't have any issues with your range, maintenance, etc. then try to get another couple years out of it.
BMW is not.  They just brought back the straight 6 for god sakes.

The only reason why European companies are looking at electric is because the UK is banning petrol engines in new cars by 2040.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/world/europe/uk-diesel-petrol-emissions.html

Navier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1088 on: September 21, 2017, 07:30:34 AM »

What's your '12 Leaf worth?  I think we're due to see some drastic improvements in e-vehicles -&gt; range, more charging options, etc.  Tesla has really been pushing the envelope.  BMW is going away from the traditional combustion engine as well.

Like you said, if you don't have any issues with your range, maintenance, etc. then try to get another couple years out of it.

The only reason why European companies are looking at electric is because the UK is banning petrol engines in new cars by 2040.
Yes, because everyone knows U.K. Is the center of the universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: September 21, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »

What's your '12 Leaf worth?  I think we're due to see some drastic improvements in e-vehicles -> range, more charging options, etc.  Tesla has really been pushing the envelope.  BMW is going away from the traditional combustion engine as well.

Ha, the BMW straight-6 never left (at least in the states, did you guys get the F30 335i?)

I do like the i3 though, I think its a neat car and they did some cool engineering to make an electric car drive like a BMW.  I'm seriously contemplating getting one, they just need to depreciate a LITTLE more and I'll be able to cash-buy one. 

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #1090 on: September 21, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »

Great. Now I need sushi.

$350 to start!?!

A bamboo sheet is <$5, some sushi rice and seaweed is <$10. Why do you need a sushi cooker? Legitimate question, because my rice in a pot doesn't really taste much different from the restaurant sushi rice...
Even a sushi knife isn't really necessary as long as you have a sharp knife and don't mind your sushi not looking 100% perfect.

It was before I became frugal, but I don't completely regret the purchase. It's my hobby, and it was a one time purchase. I didn't mean to suggest you should pay that much if you want to get started. It's just a matter of honesty on my part of what I did.

Also, a good rice cooker compliments the Instant Pot nicely. I have rice ready 24/7 on stand by. I eat lots of rice and beans (almost every meal), and prepare sushi every week (though not exclusively with raw fish).

When I got started, I basically had nothing as I just moved out on my own so maybe the $350 isn't correct, but :

I bought the Zojirushi for $150 as a recommendation from my friend who eats tons of rice. (no regrets)
I bought a chef's knife for $100 (which now in hindsight I see this may have been stupid).
Then I bought a bamboo bowl that was recommend for making the sushi rice for $50. (It's a bit silly - you could just use any bowl really - but it helps with not having soggy rice when you make the sushi rice).

I then ordered the frozen sushi fish because I was excited though I waited like 3 months before I used any. I still ate it eventually though! I spent like $40 on frozen sushi grade fish.

Then I bought avocados, canned tuna, and tilapia - but I tend to buy things in bulk.

In hindsight, I probably would have forgone the bamboo bowl and gone with a cheaper knife. I use my rice cooker constantly to have rice on stand by and it compliments my Instant-Pot that I use almost exclusively for chili and beans.

After the initial cost and a few years of practice, I can punch out 10 sushi rolls in less than 2 hours with little notice, and I'd say my rolls are on par (if not better) than my local sushi restaurant.

This has been a very long winded defense of my purchase, and I do feel shame; however, I don't go out for sushi! So I consider that a win.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:16:49 AM by caffeine »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1091 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

I've been lusting after the Joule immersion circulator, and I even have Sur la Table gift cards I could put towards it, but we have a perfectly good Sansaire (partially paid for with previous SLT gift cards from MIL).

This morning, I'm trying to restrain myself from signing up for a weeklong equine anatomy class.  It would run me around $1400 with tuition, gas, hotel and budget eating. 

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #1092 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »
14' Oyster Tongs so I can get my own oysters whenever I'm in the mood.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1093 on: September 22, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Lusting after a radar jammer. A creepy neighbor has been flying his drone way too low over my backyard. Sigh. I'll content myself with fantasies of nighttime recon with a pellet gun or sling shot or something, and just keep going inside anytime it comes by. (And hope the rain fries it to tiny bits of uselessness).

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
I've switched my lustfulness from a Porsche 911 GT-3 to a modded Corvette Z-06 with heads/cam and full exhaust.  Louder and faster.  I posted this in the "What purchase are you delaying" thread and then realized it would fit better here.  I've realized it's a disease.

Used to have the bottom two pics attached...

Now I want this.....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:24:07 PM by h82goslw »

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #1095 on: September 23, 2017, 06:25:41 AM »
I realize I may be getting in over my head with this question, but... why do you want your car to be loud? I have never understood.

I had an incredibly dysfunctional childhood....loud ostentatious cars allow me to make up for that.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1096 on: September 23, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
I want this...

Just do it already. :-)

I have a KTM 1190 Adventure. What I really want is a KTM EXC 500.

Adventure bikes are great. Very comfy for all day touring, without being heavy like a full on tourer. Great for camping. They handle dirt and fire roads just fine. They suck in technical terrain.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:42:48 PM by facepalm »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1097 on: September 23, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Where would you store 14-feet-long tongs?

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1098 on: September 24, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
I want a Salsa Blackborrow. It has a rack that can hold up to 4 panniers. Way cool.

It puts my $280 Craigslist 29er to shame.

OK, coming to my senses now.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #1099 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »

Where would you store 14-feet-long tongs?

I don't live in apartment in the city so storage really isn't an issue (e.g. garage, barn, under deck, basement, on side of house, master bedroom, etc...