Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287953 times)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #850 on: May 30, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
Next door neighbor just bought a Big Green Egg and using it for the first time on Sunday. I have been wanting one, but just can not justify the cost. Maybe when our Weber rusted out, we will get one.

I have sad news for you Sequoia. Your Weber will not rust :(
I had a 15 year old weber hand me down that I eventually gave away before buying another weber with a few more burners since the small one was not large enough for our use.

Haha... I kinda figure that out. We bought ours about 13-14 yrs ago right after we moved into our house. Maybe if we win a big lottery one day...

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: May 30, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »
Next door neighbor just bought a Big Green Egg and using it for the first time on Sunday. I have been wanting one, but just can not justify the cost. Maybe when our Weber rusted out, we will get one.

I had a 15 year old weber hand me down that I eventually gave away before buying another weber with a few more burners since the small one was not large enough for our use.

Haha... I kinda figure that out. We bought ours about 13-14 yrs ago right after we moved into our house. Maybe if we win a big lottery one day...

I've heard Big Green eggs are all the rage, but have you tried building your own smoker? Or are they still expensive second hand/ on CL? Might be worth cleaning out a grimy big green egg if you can get it for cheap.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: May 30, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »

I've heard Big Green eggs are all the rage, but have you tried building your own smoker? Or are they still expensive second hand/ on CL? Might be worth cleaning out a grimy big green egg if you can get it for cheap.

Some day I will build a fire pit and see if I can build a smoker as well as part of the pit.  That would be awesome.

Mustache ride

• Stubble
« Reply #853 on: May 30, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »

Big Green Eggs are so expensive because of their fantastic warranty. They cover EVERYTHING for UNLIMITED amount of years, except for negligence related instances. This warranty is only valid if you buy it new from an authorized dealer, so if you were to buy used make sure it is very cheap. Most people target 50% of new price to buy second hand without warranty.

Check out Kamado Joes as well. They are a newer company pushing BGE for market share and are a bit cheaper.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #854 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »

Big Green Eggs are so expensive because of their fantastic warranty. They cover EVERYTHING for UNLIMITED amount of years, except for negligence related instances. This warranty is only valid if you buy it new from an authorized dealer, so if you were to buy used make sure it is very cheap. Most people target 50% of new price to buy second hand without warranty.

Check out Kamado Joes as well. They are a newer company pushing BGE for market share and are a bit cheaper.

There is an outdoor kitchen store in town that advertises in mailings.  So we get the advert, and there they are, photos of outdoor kitchens and a photo of Green Eggs in every size.  And now I, too, really want a Green Egg.  And we don't even eat much meat!

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #855 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
A large travel trailer and equally large truck to tow it.

Mr Zombie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Finance Zombie
« Reply #856 on: May 31, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
This;

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

Around my parts:
* very nice, very large 1/4in iron smokers can be had for about $500-800 on CL.  A little more if attached to a trailer.
* brand new nice, large 1/4in iron smokers can be custom built by someone that does it for a living runs around $1500
* ridiculous yuppie smokers on a gigantic trailer that includes a deep fryer, a smoker,  a grill, a smoker big enough to do 2 whole hogs and probably 25 racks of ribs run about $50k.  And yes, dumbass folks around here actually ARE buying these

I don't really know what a BGE runs... I've always smoked in iron smokers.  My first one was very thin iron and lasted me 20 years before rusting through.  I expect my 1/4in smoker to last until my death.

Mustache ride

• Stubble
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »

Around my parts:
* very nice, very large 1/4in iron smokers can be had for about $500-800 on CL.  A little more if attached to a trailer.
* brand new nice, large 1/4in iron smokers can be custom built by someone that does it for a living runs around $1500
* ridiculous yuppie smokers on a gigantic trailer that includes a deep fryer, a smoker,  a grill, a smoker big enough to do 2 whole hogs and probably 25 racks of ribs run about $50k.  And yes, dumbass folks around here actually ARE buying these

I don't really know what a BGE runs... I've always smoked in iron smokers.  My first one was very thin iron and lasted me 20 years before rusting through.  I expect my 1/4in smoker to last until my death.

BGE is known more for their versatility than being a true "smoker". The main difference between the two is that BGE uses charcoal as it's main source for heat whereas normal smoking rigs, sometimes referred to as stick burners, use wood. With these stickburners you constantly have to tend to the fire and refuel for the duration of the cook to maintain a constant temperature. On the BGE it really is as easy as set it and forget it. I can set up my egg for 250 degrees before I go to sleep, throw on a full brisket or pork butt(s) and wake up with it still humming along at 250 and ready for lunch later in the day, about 14-18hrs straight without having to touch it. It is a very good smoker, but it's value comes from being able to do so many different things with it. You can smoke with it as I just mentioned, you can use it as a normal charcoal grill, and you can even crank out pizzas with out. Having the range to cook anything between 225-1000 degrees with both direct and indirect heat is its main draw.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #859 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »

Around my parts:

BGE is known more for their versatility than being a true "smoker". The main difference between the two is that BGE uses charcoal as it's main source for heat whereas normal smoking rigs, sometimes referred to as stick burners, use wood. With these stickburners you constantly have to tend to the fire and refuel for the duration of the cook to maintain a constant temperature. On the BGE it really is as easy as set it and forget it. I can set up my egg for 250 degrees before I go to sleep, throw on a full brisket or pork butt(s) and wake up with it still humming along at 250 and ready for lunch later in the day, about 14-18hrs straight without having to touch it. It is a very good smoker, but it's value comes from being able to do so many different things with it. You can smoke with it as I just mentioned, you can use it as a normal charcoal grill, and you can even crank out pizzas with out. Having the range to cook anything between 225-1000 degrees with both direct and indirect heat is its main draw.

I would say most of what you list is do-able in an iron smoker.   I do use wood (because it is free and I like the taste) and wood does require a little more tending, but it definitely isn't "constant".  But if I used lump charcoal I can get a pretty long stretch with no tending -- maybe not 14 hours... but surely 8+.  If I were to put a heatermeter on it (I'm considering it...) I suspect I could go longer with both wood and lump.  Mine will cook direct/indirect in pretty much any range.  (And it will supposedly do 24 pork butts-- though I've never really put that to the test).

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #860 on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »

Ceramic has a good insulation property, which really helps if you are cooking in the middle of winter.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #861 on: June 01, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
With the improved weather, I'm lusting after a lakefront cabin.  I went so far as to browse listings, but realized I'd never buy one while still working... too much hassle. So I stopped looking.

I barely have time to do the stuff I need to do on my regular house, let alone maintain another place a couple hours away. Then there's the cost of the cabin itself. Best lakeside prices I could find nearby are in the $300-$400k range, which would be a major drag on finances.  Maybe once I'm FIRE and want to move there permanently. 

Instead we booked a rental cabin for a week later this summer. Much better value proposition.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »
With the improved weather, I'm lusting after a lakefront cabin.  I went so far as to browse listings, but realized I'd never buy one while still working... too much hassle. So I stopped looking.

I barely have time to do the stuff I need to do on my regular house, let alone maintain another place a couple hours away. Then there's the cost of the cabin itself. Best lakeside prices I could find nearby are in the $300-$400k range, which would be a major drag on finances.  Maybe once I'm FIRE and want to move there permanently. 

Instead we booked a rental cabin for a week later this summer. Much better value proposition.
I've done the same. Went to the cabin with my parents every year as a kid. Do I owe that experience to mine..? But for the interest payment alone we could rent a great place for a week every year! Not or mention the maintenance, hassle, taxes etc etc.. I tried but really couldn't make it make sense. Buying a cabin must be a purely emotional decision I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #863 on: June 02, 2017, 07:02:46 AM »
I'm looking at a lake house as well. 420k, 11k/yr in taxes. Jersey go figure.
Vrbo and airbnb numbers are telling me I will be making profit, and inspired after listening to the latest bigger pockets podcast where a young woman reached FI through airbnb.

Also, put a turntable and speakers into my amazon cart yesterday. If they're still there in a month, 7/1, I'll get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

I've done the same. Went to the cabin with my parents every year as a kid. Do I owe that experience to mine..? But for the interest payment alone we could rent a great place for a week every year! Not or mention the maintenance, hassle, taxes etc etc.. I tried but really couldn't make it make sense. Buying a cabin must be a purely emotional decision I think.

Both my step-mother and my ILs had vacation homes on the water.  While they loved the properties, they became such a burden and in many ways drove a wedge into their families.  I would watch them feel like they were obligated to be at the vacation house every weekend in the summers, so that they could get their money's worth out of them.  As their kids got older, that became more and more of an issue, with kids wanting summer jobs, staying with their friends, their own activities.  When the kids got married, it was a total shock to my MIL and step-mother that their new DILs didn't want to spend every weekend confined to a small house with their mother-in-law.

When the houses became too much work for the original owners, both families wanted their kids to take on the places in a joint-ownership situation.  That became an endless source of contention.  Some of the adult kids had moved too far away to get there often.  Some couldn't afford to maintain a second home.  Some had no interest in owning property with their siblings.  (If my husband had agreed to own a house with his disgustingly slovenly brother, I would never have set foot in it.  Not happy times.) 

I would much rather rent for a couple of weeks.  Much cheaper, no hassle, so much more flexibility.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #865 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
I am sitting in a hospital at midnight with my friend who got hit by a car. If it was an option I would have bought today to have been a normal Friday. Instead A huge thurmos filled with warm black as sin coffee is what I want.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #866 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »

Both my step-mother and my ILs had vacation homes on the water.  While they loved the properties, they became such a burden and in many ways drove a wedge into their families.  I would watch them feel like they were obligated to be at the vacation house every weekend in the summers, so that they could get their money's worth out of them.  As their kids got older, that became more and more of an issue, with kids wanting summer jobs, staying with their friends, their own activities.  When the kids got married, it was a total shock to my MIL and step-mother that their new DILs didn't want to spend every weekend confined to a small house with their mother-in-law.

When the houses became too much work for the original owners, both families wanted their kids to take on the places in a joint-ownership situation.  That became an endless source of contention.  Some of the adult kids had moved too far away to get there often.  Some couldn't afford to maintain a second home.  Some had no interest in owning property with their siblings.  (If my husband had agreed to own a house with his disgustingly slovenly brother, I would never have set foot in it.  Not happy times.) 

I would much rather rent for a couple of weeks.  Much cheaper, no hassle, so much more flexibility.

Tell me about it, I might be in this situation at some point. My parents have two cabins. I live 4k miles away, and don't want to deal with it (even if I lived close) and my siblings can't afford to. Though they think our parents should keep them (yeah of course you do..) I think the ratio of maintenance/relaxing at these were about 50/50. At least felt that way as a kid. When the time comes maybe I could set them up as vacation rentals, and actually make money? Extreme remote management.. Probably deserve a separate thread.

He in the east coast a lake house cost more than our "main" house. I would be so stressed about going there all the time! And even if you rent out, if you go yourself you're "loosing" ~$3,000/week. I'd rather just rent.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #867 on: June 02, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
Earning a Ph.D. Sigh.

In my field you need a Ph.D to go much further than I am now. However, I wouldn't get to the point where I absolutely could not advance without one for another 7-10 years at which point I will hopefully be retired. Even then, I could stay at a slightly higher level than I am now with a solid salary and job security for the rest of my career should I choose to continue working. And even assuming I did complete a degree in the next few years, the resulting pay bump would not cover the cost for the amount of time I have left in the field So really no point... but I've always wanted intrinsically to earn a Ph.D. And right now several of my co-workers/friends in the field are starting theirs and I'm feeling a little jealous and left out. I just need to them to remind me of all the not so enjoyable things that come with pursuing a degree. haha!

Wanderlusting

« Reply #868 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
Stupidest thing right now is a new desk setup for the ridiculously overkill computer setup I just finalized a couple weeks ago. I have a 34" ultrawide and 2-24" monitors I mounted on the sides using these swanky mounting arms, but i've run out of extra deskspace for productivity. It's completely overkill but I love it. I really want to build a hybrid IKEA setup to make a 'L'-shaped desk, buuuut i'm gonna hold off until I move to my new apartment in the next 6-10 months for school.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #869 on: June 04, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »

There's so much anti-Mustachian about it. Cost, maintenance, family hassles, friend hassles (let's go to the lake next weekend buddy!), etc.  That doesn't mean I don't want one, though. However,  I'm smart enough to resist. 

I'd really love to live on a lake, but if I ever do, it'll be my only home.

Petunia 100

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: June 04, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Stickers for my planner.   Totally unnecessary.  But darn, want some cute stickers!   

Petunia 100

• Stubble
« Reply #871 on: June 04, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
Lego Ghostbuster Firehouse - you know, for the kids.

(I can never figure out the posting of pics - so here's for sure failed attempt #3)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j4_zPFiAXsM/maxresdefault.jpg

Oh my gosh!  That looks like hours of fun...forthe kids.  Could I come over and babysit your kids? 

Petunia 100

• Stubble
« Reply #872 on: June 04, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
I am sitting in a hospital at midnight with my friend who got hit by a car. If it was an option I would have bought today to have been a normal Friday. Instead A huge thurmos filled with warm black as sin coffee is what I want.

Sorry to hear.   Is the friend doing well?

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #873 on: June 06, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
I broke down and bought a 3D printer today.  Creality CR-10 large 300x300x400mm print range.

It's gotten good reviews, at $369 US it's supposed to be one of the better cost/capability options out there.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:30:47 PM by Al1961 »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #874 on: June 07, 2017, 03:27:09 AM »
I really want a new coat. It's black wool with a great big wide black fur collar, slightly 40's vintage cut, beautiful. It's not even that expensive. But I already have several coats, one of which was new last year.......

I don't need a new coat.
I don't need a new coat.
I don't need a new coat.
I don't need a new coat.
I don't need a new coat.
I don't need a new coat.

Keep telling yourself that, Anna!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »

Oh jeez, well that's a good reality check for me! I hope your friend is OK.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #876 on: June 07, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Bees.  I'd like at least a couple of hives to start.  I'm foreseeing $1000 honey.

I just started with two hives this year for about 650-700bucks.  I found a lady on craigslist who was getting out of bees after one season because someone stole her bees and the brood box but left her supers and lids (can you imagine stealing s box of bees?!?).  I also got a bunch of accessories like smoker, hive tool, varroa kit, feeder, pollen patties, frame holder, 2 supers with frames and foundation and a pretty copper lid for the hive.  All of that was 80 bucks.  I had to buy 1.5 more hives to get ready for the bees but Mann lake offered some great deals in March.  I also found nucs locally on craigslist for 120 per.

You need to be a little careful with used equipment so you don't inherit disease but with how lightly this hive was used I wasn't worried about it.  One thing I would change if I did this again is to not buy the full bee suit and just go with a shirt or maybe just a veil.  That full suit gets super hot and the bees are pretty darn calm most of the time.

It certainly get expensive but if you cruise craigslist in the fall or winter you might be able to make a score.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #877 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
Bees.  I'd like at least a couple of hives to start.  I'm foreseeing $1000 honey.

I just started with two hives this year for about 650-700bucks.  I found a lady on craigslist who was getting out of bees after one season because someone stole her bees and the brood box but left her supers and lids (can you imagine stealing s box of bees?!?).  I also got a bunch of accessories like smoker, hive tool, varroa kit, feeder, pollen patties, frame holder, 2 supers with frames and foundation and a pretty copper lid for the hive.  All of that was 80 bucks.  I had to buy 1.5 more hives to get ready for the bees but Mann lake offered some great deals in March.  I also found nucs locally on craigslist for 120 per.

You need to be a little careful with used equipment so you don't inherit disease but with how lightly this hive was used I wasn't worried about it.  One thing I would change if I did this again is to not buy the full bee suit and just go with a shirt or maybe just a veil.  That full suit gets super hot and the bees are pretty darn calm most of the time.

It certainly get expensive but if you cruise craigslist in the fall or winter you might be able to make a score.

I have one bare minimum hive (hive only -- no bees yet) and I am in the process of building a little nuc box for a swarm trap.  It's late enough in the season that no one around here has any actual bees for sale -- and I don't know that I want to feed them from now until February.  My plan is to build a second hive and a few supers between now and then.  If I manage to catch a swarm, I'll feed.  Otherwise, I'll wait and buy some nucs from some of the local guys next year.

I have already bought a vented jacket.  It seems like enough.  I helped with one bee removal of a very aggressive hive... and the jacket seemed fine. 

I am still seeing this as a money sink hole.  It's going to be for my entertainment only (and maybe a little mead someday).

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #878 on: June 07, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
A dishwasher.

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #879 on: June 07, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »

Sounds like a plan!  My bees have already consumed about 40lbs of sugar so far but luckily that stuff is pretty cheap.

I have one bare minimum hive (hive only -- no bees yet) and I am in the process of building a little nuc box for a swarm trap.  It's late enough in the season that no one around here has any actual bees for sale -- and I don't know that I want to feed them from now until February.  My plan is to build a second hive and a few supers between now and then.  If I manage to catch a swarm, I'll feed.  Otherwise, I'll wait and buy some nucs from some of the local guys next year.

I have already bought a vented jacket.  It seems like enough.  I helped with one bee removal of a very aggressive hive... and the jacket seemed fine. 

I am still seeing this as a money sink hole.  It's going to be for my entertainment only (and maybe a little mead someday).

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #880 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
An MG-42. I saw one sell for approx $27,000 a few years back. It looked nearly new and came with the tripod & everything.  Of course I don't know where I could take it and the ammo costs at about $1 per round and 1,100 RPM would be a massive waste of $$$ in No time. 

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #881 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »

Sorry to hear.   Is the friend doing well?

Oh jeez, well that's a good reality check for me! I hope your friend is OK.

Fortunately, my friend is ok. They will need to do some more dental surgery and surgery on her face. She is out of the hospital and we got a security camera video of what happened. Turns out the driver ran the red light and struck her (what happened is a little fuzzy in her mind)

It puts everything into perspective.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #882 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
Someone just linked a moderately affordable commuter e-bike in the comments of the latest MMM post. I know an e-bike doesn't sound like a frivolous purchase in these parts, but it's $1500 and my 3.5 mile commute could be done easily on my normal bike. My complainypants excuse is that I'm from the north and just moved to Texas and I've been sweating like crazy here. More complainypants-ness is that I have to deal with Dallas commuters on 6-lane roads with no shoulder. They are actively trying to kill me each day.

Dumb desire for this e-bike, but it fits the forum post.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-electric-commuter-bike?variant=27902381121

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
A lottery ticket.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #884 on: June 09, 2017, 05:16:09 AM »
Folding bikes with gates belt drive.

I want something I can fold and tuck it under my desk in the office; gates belt so I don't have to deal with grease marks.

Looking at Tern, Brompton, PakIT, then coming across some other brands that are electric folding bikes. Maybe my dream folder bike hasn't been built yet. I like the idea of Brompton cos you can extend the seat post and wheel it around like check in luggage but the gates belt version have been hacks or heavily modified.

Other folders are ugly when folded; tern verge s8i looks good but they have had product recalls.

I think I will sit on this for awhile.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #885 on: June 09, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
I constantly lust over having a huge house with a nice big yard and a beautiful pool and patio.... sigh....

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: June 09, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »
A dash piece that is broken on my car. It's $60 on eBay. No luck at the local pull-a-part so I've been waiting for a parts car to show up. The back of my cluster is exposed and it's getting annoying. Blah.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:31:12 AM by marielle »

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #887 on: June 09, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
I've been wanting an Audi Q5 for years....I've never been in one but I like how they look.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #888 on: June 09, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »
I constantly lust over having a huge house with a nice big yard and a beautiful pool and patio.... sigh....

I would like a big yard as well for the kid to run around. But then the thoughts of me mowing a big yard kinda makes me thankful that I have small back yard haha

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #889 on: June 10, 2017, 05:09:10 AM »
Pool maintenance is a big issue - how often will you be using it, the chlorine costs, the salts, the pool vacuum cleaners. More hassle than it's worth unless you have a dedicated pool man.

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #890 on: June 10, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
An MG-42. I saw one sell for approx $27,000 a few years back. It looked nearly new and came with the tripod & everything.  Of course I don't know where I could take it and the ammo costs at about $1 per round and 1,100 RPM would be a massive waste of $$$ in No time.

This would be better, First, it's American, 2nd I already have this caliber in my inventory, 3rd I wouldn't have to find the 50 or 100 rd belts, and 4th it's a worldwide recognizable classic! I could even carry it around in a violin case.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/06/st-louis-thompson-sub-machine-guns/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-06-10&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #891 on: June 10, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Pool maintenance is a big issue - how often will you be using it, the chlorine costs, the salts, the pool vacuum cleaners. More hassle than it's worth unless you have a dedicated pool man.

Not if you keep up with it and / or enlist the little'uns to do the cleaning parts of the maintenance. Once you get the auto-chlorinator adjusted properly, keeping chemical balance is pretty easy if you do not allow oil-soaked people to jump in it. The manual pool vacuum cleaners cost very little, and if you have kids, make it part of their job. My pool has a stack chlorine feeder that holds 10 of the 3" tabs, so only needs refilling once a month or less. I keep a container of PH + and PH- and a phosphate reducer. For periodic shocking I use powered and liquid chlorine alternating, to reduce excessive calcium buildup.

A screen helps greatly with keeping leaves, etc. out. It won't keep tiny insects away though. The ants are having a convention on the surface right now in my pool (it's swarming season here).

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #892 on: June 10, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
I should not have let my brother convince me to sign up for Massdrop! Thanks to their emails, I'm now considering buying $70 worth of Pilot pens. I know I would use them all eventually for marking student papers so I can almost justify it. Someone talk me out of this, please!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #893 on: June 10, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »
I should not have let my brother convince me to sign up for Massdrop! Thanks to their emails, I'm now considering buying $70 worth of Pilot pens. I know I would use them all eventually for marking student papers so I can almost justify it. Someone talk me out of this, please!

I think a Lamy Safari and a 3oz bottle of Noodler's Black would give you a much more satisfying writing experience, give you at least 3x the number of written pages, and produce a lot less landfill waste for about half the price.  Sure, you'd have to clean it once in a while and you'd have stained fingers now and then, but your commitment to rejecting single use consumer goods would also be noted.

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #894 on: June 10, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »
^^^ I would get a single nice Cross pen. you can get refills almost anywhere and they write well.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #895 on: June 10, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Tesla Model 3.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #896 on: June 10, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
Tesla Model 3.

Yes, they have my deposit.  I'm willing to wait two years.    I missed the opportunity for a Tesla 2,   that is $30k more now than when I could have bought it.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #897 on: June 10, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
Two Amazon Edge Show for $100 off,  and sell one.   I don't have home automation now, but maybe a few lights/plugs and a garage door interface ...

I'm a nerd/geek computer programmer,  it's hard to resist.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #898 on: June 11, 2017, 05:14:31 AM »
BMW S1000XR. Sigh. Anyone have one?

Gholden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #899 on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:16 AM »