Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288055 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #700 on: April 18, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
Really want to tint my windows. My car is small so it wouldn't be too crazy expensive, and my black leather seats get too hot to sit on in the summer. Usually I put a towel or something down. I'm justifying it that it's cheaper than getting a new car with stronger AC (yes I've recharged it, it's just that the car is almost 15 years old). Also, I survived all winter without heat so I should at least be comfortable in the summer, right?..
I almost did that to a 24-year-old car, then decided "next summer" and then the car's engine gave out during the first summer.  It's not too terribly expensive to have done in the grand scheme of vehicular ownership, but I'd want to be sure I'm amortizing the cost over at least a few more years of car life.

I know in my case, it would have definitely led to less A/C use, probably not enough to pay for itself in gas savings, but it would definitely still have saved a non-zero amount.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #701 on: April 18, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
OMG, DO tint your windows it's awesome! Makes a HUGE difference in how cool you feel.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #702 on: April 18, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
Really want to tint my windows. My car is small so it wouldn't be too crazy expensive, and my black leather seats get too hot to sit on in the summer. Usually I put a towel or something down. I'm justifying it that it's cheaper than getting a new car with stronger AC (yes I've recharged it, it's just that the car is almost 15 years old). Also, I survived all winter without heat so I should at least be comfortable in the summer, right?..
I almost did that to a 24-year-old car, then decided "next summer" and then the car's engine gave out during the first summer.  It's not too terribly expensive to have done in the grand scheme of vehicular ownership, but I'd want to be sure I'm amortizing the cost over at least a few more years of car life.

I know in my case, it would have definitely led to less A/C use, probably not enough to pay for itself in gas savings, but it would definitely still have saved a non-zero amount.

I got a quote -- $200-240 including removing existing factory tinting on the rear window. I feel like it may be worth it, especially in the south. It's a 2003 with only 150k miles and the engine sound great. In South Carolina the legal limit is pretty decent, 27% light.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #703 on: April 18, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »

I got a quote -- $200-240 including removing existing factory tinting on the rear window. I feel like it may be worth it, especially in the south. It's a 2003 with only 150k miles and the engine sound great. In South Carolina the legal limit is pretty decent, 27% light.
I'd definitely do that were I in your shoes (at least if you drive often).  I was pretty close to doing it last year at about $350-400 to have it done to my (large-windowed) 1992 with 200k on it, and I'm in northern Illinois.

My GF used to live in Phoenix and when she was there she had an old Volvo with very dark tinted windows (no idea if it was legal there or what) and it was fantastic even in the awful Phoenix sun when paired with a decent air conditioner.  Kept the leather in good shape too.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #704 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
Right now I am lusting after freedom from having to work......doesn't seem too stupid.

I'm sure it will be some shiny thing again, sooner or later.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »

Tint in a hot state is not stupid at all. I wouldn't own something in AZ without tint.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »

Tint in a hot state is not stupid at all. I wouldn't own something in AZ without tint.

I think I just don't know what I'm missing. I used to drive a car without AC at all so I feel spoiled right now! For $200-240 I might just get it, I was expecting $300 minimum. Definitely not NECESSARY though, and I try to limit my non-essential purchases.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: April 19, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
A dual vacuum/steam mop, so I can do the kitchen in one pass.

+1 And cordless.

FuzzyRunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
what I want..a tri bike and carbon rims..what I'm lusting over..a very expensive tri bike and very expensive carbon rims.  I already have a roadie that I use for training and triathlons so neither is actually needed but I could be a little faster and look a lot faster!

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
I'm a gun guy. I want a mp5

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Nothing now.  Was lusting after an AR10 for the longest time, but things suddenly came together to make it reasonable to get one...  Hit a financial goal considerably ahead of time after a couple years of beating our budget significantly.  Now I can join my friends at the precision (long range) shooting events that I've been missing!

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
What ar-10 did you get?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
I am only lusting after immaterial things.

In this case, a week off and enough sleep. Both are unrealistic for this week.

About work: enough time to do my work properly. I have enough to do for 2-3 jobs, but don't want to work more hours than I have to. I am more than week in the plus, but don't have time to take free. See comments above.

Clear skies on Saturday night.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:24:38 PM by Linda_Norway »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #713 on: April 20, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »
32 - 40 ft boat such as a island packet or mahe 36

Possibly class a or c RV

Our future plan is to travel by boat or possibly go land sailing (aka RV) or some combination of both.

I have been day dreaming / researching looking at what they cost and the different options.

Been to a few RV shows and a looked at a few boats and it is so hard as I really want to go now but 3 years 7 days till I am fully vested in my pension (will be 47 years old)

Expensive items that depreciate but our day to day cost for living should be low.

Fwiw I did live on a boat growing up so I do have some knowledge but it was on a wooden Mathews convertible powerboat not a sailboat.

Sailing experience is limited to hobie cats and lasers so we are taking sailing lessons this summer in preparation.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: April 21, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
What ar-10 did you get?

Got the AR10TAC20 model.  Local shop had one and made me a deal on it.  Honestly, it's likely to be my last purchase as I'm not a collector, I only buy for specific purposes and that's the one that fills the remaining void.  I've got a couple now that I'm going to try to sell to make up part of the cost.  Things I bought when I didn't know better/thought I had certain use cases that I actually didn't.  :-)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: April 21, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
I was driving pass the local Nissan dealer, and saw a used Nissan GTR. I had to stop by at the dealer the next day to confirm the sighting, and omg, they have two of them lol. I always want (lust) a sport  car, and for a second I thought about trading in my SC430 that I purchased last year.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #716 on: April 22, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
I don't know if these are the stupidest, but jonsing to have a monthly cleaning service, and a regular schedule of massages, at least once a month.
I bought a folding massage table from Amazon for $80. My so and I have watched YouTube videos on massage and have been massaging each other. It paid for itself in the first day. There are many, many benefits to this XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #717 on: April 22, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
I don't know if these are the stupidest, but jonsing to have a monthly cleaning service, and a regular schedule of massages, at least once a month.
I bought a folding massage table from Amazon for $80. My so and I have watched YouTube videos on massage and have been massaging each other. It paid for itself in the first day. There are many, many benefits to this XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well I just need to find another massage partner...

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: April 22, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
A new purse and new matching coffee cups.
I didn't know you could get coffee cups that match a purse...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #719 on: April 24, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
A more solid mount for my telescope tube. Stupid, because Some months ago I invested into a motor for the undersized mount and the motor is nit compatible with the more solid. I am looking for a used item.

I was almost tempted to buy a cookbook with seaweed recipies. But then I remembered to do an internet search. And if course, there are recipies to be found online. But maybe I will send ut on my birthday list, in case someone else wants to buy it for me.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: April 24, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
I mentioned wanting a backhoe earlier in this thread.  One of the complications is that I will also need an addition to the shed as I don't like keeping equipment outside, and my current equipment shed and OH doors aren't quite tall enough.  Moving forward with this plan and talked to a builder today about pricing out a new shed.  Thinking I'll go ahead and add two bays rather than just one, in the event another piece of equipment gets added.

zoltani

« Reply #721 on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
I'm with the_fixer on this one, been lusting after an RV, class B. Spring usually makes me dream of chucking it all and taking off in an RV for extended travel. I'm nowhere near my FIRE number, but could swing it right now if I lived on a shoestring. This is the point when I have to convince myself to stick with my plan for a few more years.

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
I live right in the heart of a subdivision that stretches for miles on all sides and has parks and a water park inside the subdivision. I'm really starting to want a tricked out golf cart to keep up status with the jones. Plus my kids absolutely love riding on our neighbors. My wife gives me a headache about walking to the parks and water park while carrying all of our supplies for the day. As a gift the in-laws bought us a huge wagon but the little ones get cranky walking that far. I went and priced then out. For the style all the neighbors have its 6-8k. I almost had a heart attack. Not that we can pay cash for it, just my mind starting calculating how much we would have to use it to get the money out of the cart and all the other investments I could sink 8k into. Still it looks fun!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
For the style all the neighbors have its 6-8k.

Wow, that's more than I have paid or will pay for a car.

I'd rather walk to get the exercise...or get a bike trailer to carry all the supplies...or even drive which is probably cheaper...

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »
That's the crazy part, I paid 10k cash for my Honda Accord lol.

Gumption

• Stubble
« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
I was lusting after a nice set of carbon fiber wheels for my road bike. Found a great deal for 2k.

Then realized, I could just lose 5lbs and that would help me just as much.

crisis averted. So hard to rewire the brain from years of foolish consumption.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
I'm a sucker for modular crap. I recently bought a modular notebook "system" for $30 (spoiler alert: I hate using the damn thing, but I feel like I have to since I paid so much). I was at a convention Sunday, and they were selling some cool looking modular backpacks. They seemed like really good quality, and I spoke with some people who'd had theirs for years (they were there buying new accessories for theirs).

But in the end the price was just too high. $90 for the main compartment, $65 for the shoulder straps/harness, $15 and $20 for the two pouch attachments I wanted, plus however much they managed to upsell. Just... no. I've been using my $15 WalMart special since 2010--granted, it's falling apart, but I could get another perfectly good backpack for under $50. Plus I recently hassled my husband for getting a $60 backpack--can't be a hypocrite, after all. Still want it though. (I'm so bummed out that modular smartphones failed miserably.)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
(spoiler alert: I hate using the damn thing, but I feel like I have to since I paid so much)

Sunk cost, ditch it on CL for 20 bucks?

Modern econ says we act purely rational so you should have tossed it already.... :)

Funny how "off" modern "knowledge" can be....

Valid point. I think I'm going to use up the pages and just not bother getting refills.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #728 on: April 25, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
BMW i3

I used to think they were just kind of weird, but I sat in one at the auto show and think the interior is amazing. Then I watched a few hours of youtube videos reviewing them, and people love them.  A Leaf would handle my commute just fine for much less. But alas, my current petrol car is also adequate, gets reasonable mileage, was cheaper still, is paid for, and has reached the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: April 25, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
I was lusting after a nice set of carbon fiber wheels for my road bike. Found a great deal for 2k.

Then realized, I could just lose 5lbs and that would help me just as much.

crisis averted. So hard to rewire the brain from years of foolish consumption.

Yes, but dropping a couple of pounds of rotational weight is worth a lot more than dropping a couple pounds of non-rotational weight....

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #730 on: April 25, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »
I want a full set of aluminum skid plates for my truck.  I don't go enough places to make it really worthwhile (well, not yet anyway)...

thenextguy

• Stubble
« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
Constantly messing with it and it still doesn't (and never will) fit right.

Just like that image.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
BMW i3

I used to think they were just kind of weird, but I sat in one at the auto show and think the interior is amazing. Then I watched a few hours of youtube videos reviewing them, and people love them.  A Leaf would handle my commute just fine for much less. But alas, my current petrol car is also adequate, gets reasonable mileage, was cheaper still, is paid for, and has reached the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

I'm right there with ya. I think they're quite funny looking, but nifty...and I have absolutely no reason to buy one, even used. So I'll just admire them.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »
Split end trimmer. The reviews are great and I have REALLY long hair with old layers so it's hard to cut off split ends. Very superficial though, I could have healthier hair by just cutting off like 6 inches. I already cut my own hair so it's not like I can justify that this would save money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8C0F2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_TzrazbCE5PG8H

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: April 26, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
iPhone 8 (when it comes out). 

I'm using a work phone now 6+ 64GB. 

We have data caps and big brother watching.  I'd prefer to have my own phone and get the latest tech when I want it. 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #735 on: April 26, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »
iPhone 8 (when it comes out). 

I feel like the world has yet to produce the smartphone I really want- one with a long lasting battery (both for one drain + repeat cycles), fully waterproof, and everything else can be average or below average. Shame.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #736 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
I feel like the world has yet to produce the smartphone I really want- one with a long lasting battery (both for one drain + repeat cycles), fully waterproof, and everything else can be average or below average. Shame.

I got a long-battery-life phone and put it in a Ziploc bag when necessary. Done :-)

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #737 on: April 26, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »

Just be careful if you get the tinting and move. I bought my car in Georgia, where the legal limit is 32%. My car is about that level. It's pretty dark. The state I'm currently living in has a limit of 35%, so I'm technically breaking that state law. The only reason I passed state inspection is my mechanic understood that I bought the car out of state and he decided to ignore it on the paperwork for me. It's not something the cops would pull me over for by itself, but they could ticket me for it if I were to ever get pulled over for any other reason.

I'm moving next week to another state that is at the limit of 32% though, so I'll be good again soon enough fortunately.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »
I'm lusting after a painting.  Not saying which one, as it's up for auction today.  Estimated at more than I've ever spent on a painting, plus 20% buyer's premium.

It's calling to me.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #739 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:38 AM »
A new mountain bike. Really getting fed up with my current bike. Constantly messing with it and it still doesn't (and never will) fit right.

Sounds like n+1itis

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #740 on: April 27, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
I'm lusting after a painting.  Not saying which one, as it's up for auction today.  Estimated at more than I've ever spent on a painting, plus 20% buyer's premium.

It's calling to me.

Buyer's premium - ouch. Living or dead artist? Once had the painting acquisition bug. Very expensive exercise until I got the artist I wanted then the bug was over. Sometimes. Last painting I bought was a seascape in oil. I gave myself a week and then I bought it. Pretty and better than a print - and I am divesifying my asset base ;-)

Good luck with the itch!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #741 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »

Just be careful if you get the tinting and move. I bought my car in Georgia, where the legal limit is 32%. My car is about that level. It's pretty dark. The state I'm currently living in has a limit of 35%, so I'm technically breaking that state law. The only reason I passed state inspection is my mechanic understood that I bought the car out of state and he decided to ignore it on the paperwork for me. It's not something the cops would pull me over for by itself, but they could ticket me for it if I were to ever get pulled over for any other reason.

I'm moving next week to another state that is at the limit of 32% though, so I'll be good again soon enough fortunately.

I think they give you a leeway of 3% since their measuring instruments aren't that accurate anyway. I could be wrong though, this is just what I've read online. Also, they'll fine you but you won't have to pay if you fix it I believe. So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's a large difference and you can't pass inspection.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #742 on: May 11, 2017, 12:21:52 AM »
Right now I've been eyeing a pair of ostrich skin cowboy boots.  The really tempting part is the brand I want is hardly ever on sale and right now I have a 25% off promo code.  It's good till may 25, but not sure if I should pull the trigger or not.  My wife says to just buy them, but when you never buy yourself anything it feels weird to actually spend a few hundred bucks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:42 AM »
Again, I have only immaterial wishes. I want the snow outside to disappear and I want springtime mushrooms to start growing. I would also like that my house gets magically painted overnight, without paying for it.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »
A new mountain bike. Really getting fed up with my current bike. Constantly messing with it and it still doesn't (and never will) fit right.

Sounds like n+1itis

Meh, an ill fitting bike is no fun, its like having shoes the wrong size.  I vote that you switch it up. 

Gumption

• Stubble
« Reply #745 on: May 11, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
it aint stupid, but i am now just lusting for FI baby, just FI.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #746 on: May 11, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
The house with this view of Baynes Sound and Denman Island. Just $595k

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #747 on: May 11, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »
A NEW Sprinter van for camping. We're currently running a 1996 Savana, which is ok, but it's had problems and we're getting a little leery of taking it on long road trips. Also, we'd like a taller van that we can both stand up in. We'd be happy with a used Sprinter, but it's hard to find them with lower miles, say <100,000. The new models we're interested in start above $40k. We can easily afford it, but dang, that would singe my mustache.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #748 on: May 11, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
A NEW Sprinter van for camping. We're currently running a 1996 Savana, which is ok, but it's had problems and we're getting a little leery of taking it on long road trips. Also, we'd like a taller van that we can both stand up in. We'd be happy with a used Sprinter, but it's hard to find them with lower miles, say <100,000. The new models we're interested in start above $40k. We can easily afford it, but dang, that would singe my mustache.
I've also dreamed about a Sprinter van for camping as well... most of them are around $120k - $150k I believe.  What are the new models that are from $40k - $100k?   

The other stupid thing I'm thinking about is a lease on an exotic car... like a Lamborghini / Ferrari / McLaren.  People may laugh ( I would !)  but the older you get, the more you think "I only live once... why the hell not?"...   It's funny how time changes your perspective!!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »
The other stupid thing I'm thinking about is a lease on an exotic car... like a Lamborghini / Ferrari / McLaren.  People may laugh ( I would !)  but the older you get, the more you think "I only live once... why the hell not?"...   It's funny how time changes your perspective!!

Leasing a McLaren 570S is ~$3,100/month plus tax (47 months)... [source]