Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288170 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #650 on: March 31, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »
I want a new car.

I have a 2011. It's fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's in great condition with low mileage. It's also red which is my favorite color, which is irrelevant but still awesome.

But new cars have heated steering wheels, and heated seats, and back up cameras, and remote start, and bluetooth capability, and all these fancy gadgets and dingdongs that I don't even understand. I'd love a Tesla. Admittedly I know nothing about it other than you just plug it in and go. But a coworker has it and it's awesome to look at lol.

I was listening to the radio and the DJ was explaining how he had to rent a car, and it came with a key, and he's had a keyless car for so long that he hardly remembered how to use it. I am not in the era of having a keyless car. How many cars come now with just a FOB?

Basically, I know next to nothing about cars except what shiny toys it might have, and the kid in me wants a new shiny toy, even though there's nothing wrong with the one I have already.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: March 31, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
But new cars have heated steering wheels, and heated seats, and back up cameras, and remote start, and bluetooth capability, and all these fancy gadgets and dingdongs that I don't even understand.

All of those things can be added for less than one car payment would be for a new car, even if you pay someone to install them.

I got a heated seat for my car for $12. A bluetooth radio for $27. Heated steering wheels can be bought as well for under $20. Back-up cameras maybe $50-$100. Not sure about remote start but I've heard of people getting it for a couple hundred.

I'll keep driving my 2003 as long as I can add fancy electronics!

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #652 on: March 31, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
At the moment, a nice dual bevel sliding mitre saw. I have a bunch of landscaping work to do this summer which includes building raised garden planters, finishing a fence & gates. some deck additions, etc. I do realize I could rent one for a few days each time and it would most likely be cheaper than buying one for $250-$500 but the convenience of having my own is the allure. I have a garage and the space to store it so that's not a problem but i'm just having a hard to justifying the cost when I am very much a beginner DIY'er.

Not very mustachian of me......but Home Depot has a Ryobi on sale right now for $129  (usually $199).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-Amp-10-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TSS102L/205216332?cm_mmc=CJ-_-4485850-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=4485850&SID=801bca62164711e7a5804e4a06c856cb0INT&cj=true

Just FYI,
FJ

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #653 on: March 31, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
I have four sonos play 1 speakers, and I'm lusting after the playbase and subwoofer.  We have a $150 Vizio SoundBar 5.1 system from Costco - and it does the job nicely in our small living room.  I have no reason to buy them ($1500 for the pair), but boy do I want them!! 

https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2017/03/Sonos_PLAYBASE_HomeTheater_White.jpg

side question - why isn't the image showing?  Am I doing it wrong?

I tried that through modifying my post - still not showing.  Any help appreciated on this super important question of mine ;-)
There are much better sound systems you can build for $1,500.

To include an image you either need to put the url between [img] [ /img] tags or save it to your computer and then upload it as an attachment.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: March 31, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
I have four sonos play 1 speakers, and I'm lusting after the playbase and subwoofer.  We have a $150 Vizio SoundBar 5.1 system from Costco - and it does the job nicely in our small living room.  I have no reason to buy them ($1500 for the pair), but boy do I want them!! 

https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2017/03/Sonos_PLAYBASE_HomeTheater_White.jpg

side question - why isn't the image showing?  Am I doing it wrong?

There are much better sound systems you can build for $1,500.

To include an image you either need to put the url between [ img] [ /img] tags or save it to your computer and then upload it as an attachment.

I tried that through modifying my post - still not showing.  Any help appreciated on this super important question of mine ;-)

Remove the space between the [ and / in the second tag. I had put the space in there so it would display in my post.

As a side note, it's a pretty big (dimensions-wise) picture, so it might be more viewable if you attach it instead.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »
I've decided my old Tacoma can continue on indefinitely.   Now I'm lusting after a bike.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: April 03, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
I've decided my old Tacoma can continue on indefinitely.   Now I'm lusting after a bike.

From an efficiency standpoint it's better than the Tacoma, but still not as good as:

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #657 on: April 04, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »
A mini ITX Ryzen7-1700, R480-8gb super silent PC...

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #658 on: April 06, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
  Now I'm lusting after a bike.

Same here.  I'm really lusting after a Harley CVO "Screaming Eagle" Street Glide but I have successfully fought off this urge for the last two years and plan to continue fighting it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #659 on: April 06, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
Wanting to get my hair colored. I used to be clearly a blonde. Now I'm a 'honey blonde' or, in some people's opinions, light brunette. The clash with my self perception is uncomfortable. But dying your hair signs you up for constant maintenance, and is a totally needless expense. Ughh.

Want to add an $800 rower to our home gym.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: April 06, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »

Any luck finding a used machine on Craigslist or similar? If you actually use the machine (added fitness to your life) and you were able to get it used/minimize costs, then this one doesn't actually seem that bad

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: April 06, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
I want a newer sports car.  I need to rebuild the head on mine and I'm really tired of working on stuff.

But...I can't get anything that'll come close to touching my car unless I want to spend $25k or more, so I should just keep this one.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #662 on: April 07, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

Any luck finding a used machine on Craigslist or similar? If you actually use the machine (added fitness to your life) and you were able to get it used/minimize costs, then this one doesn't actually seem that bad

Absolutely none on CL. They're suuuuuper in demand right now. There was one used one we found, and it was listed for... drumroll please... $750. There are crappier ones you can get for cheaper, but they wouldn't stand up to DH's use.

We have plenty of fitness options. A rower would be fun, but is not needed.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #663 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
Wolf 48" oven and range

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #664 on: April 07, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
Good god. I'm lusting after a DIFFERENT pair of shoes, not the ones from last month. These are $385 shoes. What the what. I have issues.

Blany

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »
selling my mutual funds and buying more APH!

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: April 08, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »
A Lynx grill.  I love the IR cooking, and they are just so smooth operating and pretty. 

It's hard to justify $6,000 for something I can do on a $200 grill though (well, I don't have IR cooking, but it really doesn't add that much you can't do other ways). 

VolcanicArts

• Stubble
« Reply #667 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
I've been contemplating buying a Dodge srt challenger hellcat. Been putting it of for a long time, but if I hit some major financial goals in the next few years, then it could be a reality. If I do end up buying it, it will be used with a warranty and discount, and will be at a point where it won't impact my FIRE date very much.

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
I really like the new 718 Porsche Boxster......a lot!  Even the most bare bones base model would suit me just fine, but it loses its appeal with the $57,400 price.

However, I already own the perfect mid-engined roadster that I bought seven years ago, back when it was turning ten years old.  Next to the Miata, it may be the most mustachian sportscar available.  I have only $8k into it, and outside of a set of tires, it has only required a $30 oxygen sensor, and it routinely returns 35 mpg overall.

Honestly, as much as I like the new Boxster, I would have a real hard time parting with the MR2, along with a large sum of cash (even used) just to own the Boxster.  I have a feeling that I would ultimately regret such a move, however, I cannot deny my lust for the 718.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
Complete Highlander TV series on DVD.  I want to watch the show with my son. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
I really like the new 718 Porsche Boxster......a lot!  Even the most bare bones base model would suit me just fine, but it loses its appeal with the $57,400 price.

However, I already own the perfect mid-engined roadster that I bought seven years ago, back when it was turning ten years old.  Next to the Miata, it may be the most mustachian sportscar available.  I have only $8k into it, and outside of a set of tires, it has only required a $30 oxygen sensor, and it routinely returns 35 mpg overall.

Honestly, as much as I like the new Boxster, I would have a real hard time parting with the MR2, along with a large sum of cash (even used) just to own the Boxster.  I have a feeling that I would ultimately regret such a move, however, I cannot deny my lust for the 718.

Average price of a 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder on Autotrader: $8.4k. Average price of a 2000-2005 Porsche Boxster: $13.4k. The prices do come down over time.

Any reason you prefer the 718 Boxster over the 2013-2016 Boxster? The older Boxster actually gets slightly better fuel economy.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #671 on: April 09, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »
A ridiculous bike. 2 speed coaster brake full custom. Somewhere north of $4k. I'm actually happy the price is so high because it's well over the point where I'd actually try to rationalize it. :)

Chairman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: April 10, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
A scooter.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #673 on: April 10, 2017, 02:34:13 AM »
Complete Highlander TV series on DVD.  I want to watch the show with my son.
They are available on YouTube. VHS quality so i would not watch it on a big screen tv but ok for laptop.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #674 on: April 10, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
I really like the new 718 Porsche Boxster......a lot!

Porsche did me a favor, I no longer lust after a Boxster or Cayman since they went with the FI 4cyl.  The flat 6 was what made it special. 

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #675 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »

Average price of a 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder on Autotrader: $8.4k. Average price of a 2000-2005 Porsche Boxster: $13.4k. The prices do come down over time.

Any reason you prefer the 718 Boxster over the 2013-2016 Boxster? The older Boxster actually gets slightly better fuel economy.

Porsche did me a favor, I no longer lust after a Boxster or Cayman since they went with the FI 4cyl.  The flat 6 was what made it special.

Count me in the opposite camp - I am really excited by the prospect of a turbo 4, as the test data seems to indicate that the car performs better in every measure!  I realize that I am in the minority in this opinion among Porsche-philes, but I has always wished for more torque out of the previous powerplants.  Hopefully these cars prove to be reliable and values fall at a faster rate due to soft demand, enabling me to acquire one several years out for 996 pricing!  :-)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #676 on: April 10, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »

Count me in the opposite camp - I am really excited by the prospect of a turbo 4, as the test data seems to indicate that the car performs better in every measure!  I realize that I am in the minority in this opinion among Porsche-philes, but I has always wished for more torque out of the previous powerplants.  Hopefully these cars prove to be reliable and values fall at a faster rate due to soft demand, enabling me to acquire one several years out for 996 pricing!  :-)

The 4cyl turbos seem to be big numbers over feel cars; they get better numbers but the sound, linearity, etc, is not nearly as good.  In this category, you're already taking a big performance hit buying a Boxster instead of something else (Corvette, Jag F-Type, etc) so IMO you might as well go for the one that feels/sounds the best. 

But I'll admit I've not driven the new flat fours, love the old 6s though.

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #677 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
I prefer the lightweight, mid-engined balance of the Boxster over the Corvette or F-Type.   Besides, the new Boxster S is capable of 11.9 in the 1/4 mile, which is just as fast as a Corvette Stingray.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-718-boxster-s-pdk-automatic-test-review

Also, with respect to feel, I find that I prefer the feel of much higher levels of torque at lower RPM over the NA cars, especially for street use.  The only thing they could have done to make the car more lust-worthy for me would have been to introduce it as a new lighter model slotted below the Boxster.  I definitely feel the additional 800 pounds over my MR2!

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #678 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
Since this thread is about stoopid, and I am a car guy also, I've been lusting after a Factory5 Type 65 coupe for several years now. They just redesigned the whole thing to reduce weight, improve chassis rigidity, better body fits...

And that ass...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:56:42 AM by TheFixer »

thatbbqninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #679 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »
I really want a new canon camera.  I currently have a 40D that I've had for close to 10 years now.  The 6D Mark II looks like it will be pretty amazing but this is just a hobby.  I can't get myself to part with the cash.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #680 on: April 13, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
I really want a new canon camera.  I currently have a 40D that I've had for close to 10 years now.  The 6D Mark II looks like it will be pretty amazing but this is just a hobby.  I can't get myself to part with the cash.

Me too. I had a Canon 450D that I "outgrew" a while back and ended up selling it when I needed the money in school. The 450D came out around the same time as your 40D. I'm definitely glad I sold it, but I miss having a camera and taking pictures. I just can't justify buying another crop sensor camera since I know I'll feel limited, but I also can't justify dropping $1000+ on the 6D that I want. The 6D is the lightest and smallest full frame...ugh. It doesn't help that I'll be travelling in a couple months and for the first time I won't have a camera to bring. :(

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: April 13, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
I've liked those since the original version, super cool car that is certainly gonna be a very pure/raw experience vs a lot of newer sports cars these days.

Since this thread is about stoopid, and I am a car guy also, I've been lusting after a Factory5 Type 65 coupe for several years now. They just redesigned the whole thing to reduce weight, improve chassis rigidity, better body fits...

And that ass...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #682 on: April 13, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »

Me too. I had a Canon 450D that I "outgrew" a while back and ended up selling it when I needed the money in school. The 450D came out around the same time as your 40D. I'm definitely glad I sold it, but I miss having a camera and taking pictures. I just can't justify buying another crop sensor camera since I know I'll feel limited, but I also can't justify dropping $1000+ on the 6D that I want. The 6D is the lightest and smallest full frame...ugh. It doesn't help that I'll be travelling in a couple months and for the first time I won't have a camera to bring. :(
The 5D Mark II is getting a bit long in the tooth but is still a fantastic camera and full-frame for less than a grand these days.  My GF's Mark II survived 285,000 or so shutter actuations over ~2.5 years of professional use before it entered semi-retirement backup duty to make room for her 5D Mark IV last year.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #683 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:44 AM »
I am an avid sailor and am lusting after a foiling moth. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #684 on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »

The 5D Mark II is getting a bit long in the tooth but is still a fantastic camera and full-frame for less than a grand these days.  My GF's Mark II survived 285,000 or so shutter actuations over ~2.5 years of professional use before it entered semi-retirement backup duty to make room for her 5D Mark IV last year.

The 6D is 16% lighter than the 5D Mark II and can also be found for less than $1000. The lighter a camera is and the easier to carry around, the more I'll be willing to take it with me. My canon rebel was a pain to carry around and it was nearly HALF the weight of the Mark II. If I found a great deal on a Mark II I'd probably get it, but if they're close in price I'd much rather have the 6D.
Either camera would be well over $1000 after lenses and accessories...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:28:57 AM by marielle »

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #685 on: April 13, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »

And that ass...

Beautiful car ! The factory5 cobra that a buddy of mine has is a great "kit car". Really well done ! We put it together over a couple months time. Would not hesitate to buy a factory5 kit (if I had money to burn that is lol)

Also purely my opinion as I have nothing to back it up but I think the 1st gen viper is going to be this generations Daytona.
Who knows though ?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »

The 6D is 16% lighter than the 5D Mark II and can also be found for less than $1000. The lighter a camera is and the easier to carry around, the more I'll be willing to take it with me. My canon rebel was a pain to carry around and it was nearly HALF the weight of the Mark II. If I found a great deal on a Mark II I'd probably get it, but if they're close in price I'd much rather have the 6D.
Gah, I thought the 6D was still more than that.  My bad, carry on...

If you care about the weight of a camera stay the hell away from the 1D X, even if they're cheap in the future.  I've only held one once, and I'm sure it's a workhorse of a camera but that thing as heavy as sin.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: April 13, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »

I actually downsized cameras when I upgraded from my aging Nikon D40.  I stayed with APS-C but went to a Sony A5000 a couple of years ago.  Definitely not as great as a full frame (and I miss having a real viewfinder), but it has complete manual control, exposure bracketing (which the D40 did not have), and solid lens options (I paid $340 for a Sigma f/1.4 prime).

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #688 on: April 14, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »
I actually downsized cameras when I upgraded from my aging Nikon D40.  I stayed with APS-C but went to a Sony A5000 a couple of years ago.  Definitely not as great as a full frame (and I miss having a real viewfinder), but it has complete manual control, exposure bracketing (which the D40 did not have), and solid lens options (I paid $340 for a Sigma f/1.4 prime).

That seems like a really good alternative for traveling when you need something light! It would be great for just taking pictures of memories, pictures with friends, blogging, etc. Used it looks like they're only $330. But I could buy back my old DSLR for less than that. :/ I wouldn't mind having both a DSLR and a mirrorless, then when travelling I could take the DSLR half the time for the scenic days and the mirrorless for walking around town without having to lug the DSLR.

thatbbqninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #689 on: April 14, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »

I still have my first DSLR the 350D.  I used to take a lot of photos of bands in small dark bars.  Now I just take pictures of random things as I am out and about.  I keep searching craigslist around here for a used camera but they aren't much cheaper than a new one. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »

That seems like a really good alternative for traveling when you need something light! It would be great for just taking pictures of memories, pictures with friends, blogging, etc. Used it looks like they're only $330. But I could buy back my old DSLR for less than that. :/ I wouldn't mind having both a DSLR and a mirrorless, then when travelling I could take the DSLR half the time for the scenic days and the mirrorless for walking around town without having to lug the DSLR.

Other than missing the viewfinder (and external flash, which I didn't have anyway), there's nothing my D40 could do that my A5000 doesn't do better. :)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #691 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »
I accidently went on my local craigslist and there is a used serger that I really want to buy.  I absolutely do not need it, given that I don't even have time to use my regular sewing machine that much. But I could use it to copy my favorite knit top! And sew a new swim suit since the elastic on my old one died! And and and....

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: April 18, 2017, 05:33:41 AM »
i'm just ready to quit work.  stupid b/c i dont have the money yet, and b/c this is based on a short term relationship with a bad client, that should change in the next 6 months.  then i'll be happily complacent again at work. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #693 on: April 18, 2017, 05:57:10 AM »
Really want to tint my windows. My car is small so it wouldn't be too crazy expensive, and my black leather seats get too hot to sit on in the summer. Usually I put a towel or something down. I'm justifying it that it's cheaper than getting a new car with stronger AC (yes I've recharged it, it's just that the car is almost 15 years old). Also, I survived all winter without heat so I should at least be comfortable in the summer, right?..

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #694 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

Other than missing the viewfinder (and external flash, which I didn't have anyway), there's nothing my D40 could do that my A5000 doesn't do better. :)

I have a D40 still. It was a hand-me-down from my sister-in-law, she got a D60 as part of a work deal for essentially free. I did buy the 20-200 lens, but we share it in the family, anyone going on a vacation can use it. For the amount of times I use a camera it's fine. I look at upgrades but just can't justify it, I am a very casual photographer.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #695 on: April 18, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
I want a Tesla.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #696 on: April 18, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
A dual vacuum/steam mop, so I can do the kitchen in one pass.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
I don't know if these are the stupidest, but jonsing to have a monthly cleaning service, and a regular schedule of massages, at least once a month.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: April 18, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
^^ I'd like those things as well.

Shiernian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #699 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:52 PM »
A new purse and new matching coffee cups.