Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288416 times)

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #550 on: February 22, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
Winning the lottery so I can FIRE now. Difficult to do without a ticket.

Panfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #551 on: February 22, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
2001-2003 Ford F250/F350 7.3L diesel 4-door pick up truck. They cost about $9,000-$18,000 depending on the trim level. Gets stupid MPG but owning a farm does necessitate owning a big ridiculous truck, right?

Sorry way late on this but I had a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed Manual that got about 20 mpg highway.  Your power to efficiency ratio on these bad boys is hard to beat.  Just get the Manual (which are hard to find and go for a premium) for fuel economy and reliability.  I bought it in a state that doesn't value diesel trucks to move all my crap i don't need to a state that does value diesels and i made $3k on the transaction. 

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: February 22, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
These beautiful gloves.  They'd go well with my sports car.  Driving gloves obviously.

Found here for 150 http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-hestra-tallberg-glove/O2111.html?dwvar_O2111_color=BRN&cgid=mens-hats-accessories-gloves-mittens#tile-10=&start=1&sz=24

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #553 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:05 AM »
Fortunately, at the moment, I am not lusting for anything. I returned the Cherry MX Blue, purchased the Cherry MX Speed, and I couldn't be happier.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: February 24, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
I actually think I am cured. I haven't been lusting for new things for quite some time now. They only thing I want is more free/days off.

Yeah, I am slowly getting there.  I do occasionally break down and buy things I don't need, but then realize I don't really need them and return them.  It sort of satisfies both the acquiring part of my brain and the mustachian part. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #555 on: February 24, 2017, 07:34:18 AM »
Winning the lottery so I can FIRE now. Difficult to do without a ticket.
We watch a lot of HGTV at our house. On My Lottery Dream Home (ugh), they featured a guy who won $1M in a second-chance drawing. Seems he may not have actually purchased the ticket originally. He was in the habit of collecting "losing" lottery tickets, i.e. trash, filling in his info and sending them off to second-chance-drawing-land. One of them hit big. Imagine, winning that much money on a ticket you didn't buy. Badass.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #556 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:31 AM »
kitty scarf. scarf for kitties

https://catandmeow.com/products/scarfie-a-scarf-for-cats

Holy crap, I could make one for a fraction of that.  I so need to sell my knitting to pet enthusiasts.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #557 on: February 24, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »
These beautiful gloves.  They'd go well with my sports car.  Driving gloves obviously.

Found here for 150 http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-hestra-tallberg-glove/O2111.html?dwvar_O2111_color=BRN&cgid=mens-hats-accessories-gloves-mittens#tile-10=&start=1&sz=24

Beautiful

If used just for car driving, it could be a bifl item, and would be worth it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #558 on: February 24, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
I have a pair.  Call them my murder gloves.  Only used twice.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #559 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »

to murder someone?

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #560 on: February 24, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »

Ha! That's what DW calls my gloves (not as nice as the pair pictured - got them as a gift).  The best way to freak her out is to attempt to caress her cheek while wearing them.

I do wear them while driving more often than not, I pretend I'm The Transporter while cruising around in my Prius...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #561 on: February 24, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

to murder someone?

I can't say, but they aren't mine, and they don't fit me anyways

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
Porsche 911 Turbo cab or MB SLS. 

Someday I'll buy my dream car, but not anytime soon. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: February 24, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »

to murder someone?

But seriously, I assume they are perfect for driving a large vehicle like a Ford Bronco.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #564 on: February 24, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »

to murder someone?

But seriously, I assume they are perfect for driving a large vehicle like a Ford Bronco.
They tend to shrink afterwards and won't fit your hands, but maybe this is a feature, not a bug?

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #565 on: February 25, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
As usual, I'm lusting after shoes. $349 for a pair of Paul Green Cayanne sandals in smoke.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: February 25, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »

to murder someone?

They tend to shrink afterwards and won't fit your hands, but maybe this is a feature, not a bug?
If they don't fit, you must aquit using them, sadly.

KidneyMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Nachos at this awesome Mexican restaurant near me. Do food items count?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Are they stupidly good, or just stupidly priced?

KidneyMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »
Are they stupidly good, or just stupidly priced?

Both. $14 but very filling and a different take on traditional nachos.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
This pillow from Amber Interiors. It's gorgeous but $500 for a pillow? For my cat to shed all over? Who buys these things?

http://shoppe.amberinteriordesign.com/collections/vintage-indigo-batik/products/king

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
I have no idea why, but I have a craving for an iPad Air 2 or more likely an iPad Pro w/ 256GB SSD. No idea where this bug came from; but it needs to go away.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2017, 11:32:24 PM »
I have no idea why, but I have a craving for an iPad Air 2 or more likely an iPad Pro w/ 256GB SSD. No idea where this bug came from; but it needs to go away.

Tablets are kinda dying currently...just remember what ever it can do ,your phone can do too :)

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:21 AM »
An espresso machine. Stupid really, as we have a kurig that I'm tired of buying pods for. My family loves the kurig, I don't mind taking one minute to make espresso, which I like better, but my husband and teenager love the instantness of the kurig. When it breaks I'm getting the espresso machine!

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #574 on: February 27, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »

Tablets are kinda dying currently...just remember what ever it can do ,your phone can do too :)

Except for show it to me on a screen bigger than my hand.

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #575 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
A $200 pair of jeans - selvedge or raw denim. Apparently, you dont wash them, just stick them in the freezer every few weeks. They develope a unique patina (and aroma). Its a hipster thing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #576 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »

Except for show it to me on a screen bigger than my hand.

They are perfect for older people who need a larger font to read web pages without having to scroll after every word

SV19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #577 on: February 27, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »
I want a work bag.

While I work in an office environment, there's no real purpose for me to have a work bag unless I filled it up with random things unrelated to work. But some of my associates carry them around and I get a touch of envy. Makes no sense.

To be honest I don't even know how much a decent quality one would cost.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: February 27, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
I want a work bag.

While I work in an office environment, there's no real purpose for me to have a work bag unless I filled it up with random things unrelated to work. But some of my associates carry them around and I get a touch of envy. Makes no sense.

To be honest I don't even know how much a decent quality one would cost.

I bring a book bag to work with my laptop, food, etc!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #579 on: February 27, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
I have a lot of immaterial wishes. I want the roads to be bare, not being like an skating park as they are now. Currently I have to drive the longer way to work to find salted roads.
I would also like a thick pack of snow for cross country skiing. Snow on the roads is not as bad as the froozen rain we have now.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #580 on: February 28, 2017, 04:34:12 AM »
I've been lusting after a Harlan Kardon Aura speaker. My wife received an Amazon Tap speaker for Christmas and it's actually pretty handy. You can turn any phone into a stereo. The sound quality on the Tap is pretty lousy. The Aura is the same idea: a single speaker you can wirelessly connect your devices to but the sound quality is better. It's not as good as a real speaker set up, but much better than the Tap. It also looks pretty cool. The problem is the MSRP is like $400 and for some reason Amazon sells it for $480. Usually they charge less than the MSRP.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »
I've been lusting after a Harlan Kardon Aura speaker. My wife received an Amazon Tap speaker for Christmas and it's actually pretty handy. You can turn any phone into a stereo. The sound quality on the Tap is pretty lousy. The Aura is the same idea: a single speaker you can wirelessly connect your devices to but the sound quality is better. It's not as good as a real speaker set up, but much better than the Tap. It also looks pretty cool. The problem is the MSRP is like $400 and for some reason Amazon sells it for $480. Usually they charge less than the MSRP.

I bought a $40 bluetooth speaker and the sound quality is pretty good.  I'm not an audiophile or anything, but it's pretty impressive.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:46 AM »
I'm really wanting to purchase a backhoe. Many projects I could do around the farm with one and make things a whole lot easier.

RetirementManifesto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The Retirement Manifesto
    • The Retirement Manifesto
« Reply #583 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
I really, really want a Drone.  Did MMM really have to use that as an example on his Tim Ferriss podcast about a purchase that doesn't relieve pain!?  Ugh, guess I'll wait...

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #584 on: February 28, 2017, 07:36:09 AM »
I'm really wanting to purchase a backhoe. Many projects I could do around the farm with one and make things a whole lot easier.

After looking at rental prices or hiring someone to clear about a quarter acre of land it was going to be $3500 to $7500!  I bought a 1989 CAT 436, that needed a little work.  I planned to sell it as soon as I was finished that project for a little profit...but it's such a useful powerful tool I can't get myself to get rid of it.  There's no way I could afford it (at least make sense to keep it) if I didn't do all of my own work on it tough.  Old equipment requires maintenance.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
Cummins announced last year that they would start selling an R2.8 liter diesel crate engine in the first quarter of 2017 that's specifically designed for repower of gas engines and has kits for different vehicle types.  I'd been planning a Dodge Dakota diesel conversion for 2 years before I heard this news and now that I've heard it I put the conversion on hold till I hear more from Cummins...I'm so anxious to hear more and am lusting for a small diesel engine designed for a small pickup truck.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
After looking at rental prices or hiring someone to clear about a quarter acre of land it was going to be $3500 to $7500!  I bought a 1989 CAT 436, that needed a little work.  I planned to sell it as soon as I was finished that project for a little profit...but it's such a useful powerful tool I can't get myself to get rid of it.  There's no way I could afford it (at least make sense to keep it) if I didn't do all of my own work on it tough.  Old equipment requires maintenance.

Yea, I've got quite a few projects I could get done.  I can rent a machine for around $3,000 per month and might be able to get a lot of my projects done in a  couple months, however I'm thinking of buying a +/- $20,000 machine, using it for a couple years, then selling if I'm all done with it.  As long as I don't have a big breakdown, cost won't be much different and I will have a lot longer to use it.

Clam shell loader bucket would be real handy for grabbing logs, etc.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #587 on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
A golf cart. Thats the stupid thng I am lusting over. Spring always does that to me, and it used to be that I lusted after a convertible automobile, but now it is a senior citizen golf cart. Haha They are popular here in my city.

I keep telling myself that my dog would love it! 

So, I plan to rent one for a few days, a couple of times. Then, if it isnt too much  hassle to store, I may buy one. But perhaps renting one will scratch that itch and I will not move on to buy one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:26:01 AM by iris lily »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #588 on: February 28, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »
Coilovers. It's gonna happen one day if someone doesn't stop me.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: February 28, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
A golf cart. Thats the stupid thng I am lusting over. Spring always does that to me, and it used to be that I lusted after a convertible automobile, but now it is a senior citizen gold cart. Haha They are popular here in my city.

I keep telling myself that my dog would love it! 

So, I plan to rent one for a few days, a couple of times. Then, if it isnt too mich hassle to store, I may buy one. But perhaps renting one will scratch that itch and I will not move on to buy one.

My husband is lusting after one of these:

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #590 on: February 28, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
That's both the most ridiculous thing and the most adorable thing I've seen in a long time!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #591 on: February 28, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »
I am very much lusting after this amazing jacket right now: https://www.unifclothing.com/products/pastel-moto

However, at $178, I just can't. I rarely spend even a 4th of that one a single item of clothing. And I already have jackets. It's just so beautiful!

Lucky for me fashion is a constantly moving target, so I'll check Poshmark in 6 months for remorseful purchasers & try to find it. Or, more likely, within a week I'll have lost the urge to get it entirely.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #592 on: February 28, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »

Yea, I've got quite a few projects I could get done.  I can rent a machine for around $3,000 per month and might be able to get a lot of my projects done in a  couple months, however I'm thinking of buying a +/- $20,000 machine, using it for a couple years, then selling if I'm all done with it.  As long as I don't have a big breakdown, cost won't be much different and I will have a lot longer to use it.

Seems like you could buy the machine and have a side business of renting it out (or hiring yourself out as the operator).  Would have to consider liability, but I imagine the depreciation on those things is low,

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
I've been lusting after a Harman Kardon Aura speaker. My wife received an Amazon Tap speaker for Christmas and it's actually pretty handy. You can turn any phone into a stereo. The sound quality on the Tap is pretty lousy. The Aura is the same idea: a single speaker you can wirelessly connect your devices to but the sound quality is better. It's not as good as a real speaker set up, but much better than the Tap. It also looks pretty cool. The problem is the MSRP is like $400 and for some reason Amazon sells it for $480. Usually they charge less than the MSRP.

I bought a $40 bluetooth speaker and the sound quality is pretty good.  I'm not an audiophile or anything, but it's pretty impressive.

The Tap isn't the worst speaker I've ever heard, but the bass is pretty weak and it starts to sound muddy at loud volumes. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I just replaced some crappy old headphones with some nice new ones. Listening to music with the newer higher quality headphones is significantly better. I have albums I've listened to dozens of times, and I'm hearing things I couldn't hear before because the old headphones were so bad. It was like going from an old eye glass prescription you think is fine and then getting a new one and realizing how bad your vision actually was.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #594 on: February 28, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
I'm now looking at a bike.    What's stupid about that you ask?   Well I was grumbling that I don't bike to work anymore because we don't have showers.

Then I thought, maybe I could get a scooter as a compromise.

Then I thought, well if I'm going to get a scooter, I may as well get a motorcycle.  70 mpg.  0 to 60 in just under 5 seconds.

If I get one of these then at least I won't want a sports car...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #595 on: March 01, 2017, 03:58:43 AM »

Seems like you could buy the machine and have a side business of renting it out (or hiring yourself out as the operator).  Would have to consider liability, but I imagine the depreciation on those things is low,

If you're willing to go older (and you'd need to work on your own now and then), I've got a '69 JD 410 for sale. Runs and works, drinks some hydraulic fluid, but nothing extreme. Definitely available for less than renting one for two months.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »

If you're willing to go older (and you'd need to work on your own now and then), I've got a '69 JD 410 for sale. Runs and works, drinks some hydraulic fluid, but nothing extreme. Definitely available for less than renting one for two months.

Ooof, I want a backhoe too, like from the time I could speak, maybe even before that.  When I was a kid, my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, and I said that I wanted to be either a fighter pilot or a backhoe driver.  We always had to drive by the construction sites slowly so I could watch the big machines work.  Somehow I ended up as an engineer, WTF. 

I've ALMOST justified buying one by thinking I could make a business out of grading other people's property, but it just isn't going to happen, I don't have the spare time to convert into enough money to see a return on the investment.  And the investment is pretty sizable once you factor in getting a vehicle big enough to move it from place to place. 

But I would like to have one to clear and grade some land at my place. 

Did I mention that I've never driven a backhoe before?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: March 01, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
That's both the most ridiculous thing and the most adorable thing I've seen in a long time!
yasssss!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: March 01, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
I really, really want a Drone.  Did MMM really have to use that as an example on his Tim Ferriss podcast about a purchase that doesn't relieve pain!?  Ugh, guess I'll wait...

I want a drone, too. But I really want DH to want a drone. He doesnt, so it wwill not  happen here. I have little patience with electronics and know I would just crash it.He would learn to fly it properly, if he wanted ine. whch he does not. :(

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #599 on: March 01, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
I'm now looking at a bike.    What's stupid about that you ask?   Well I was grumbling that I don't bike to work anymore because we don't have showers.

Then I thought, maybe I could get a scooter as a compromise.

Then I thought, well if I'm going to get a scooter, I may as well get a motorcycle.  70 mpg.  0 to 60 in just under 5 seconds.

If I get one of these then at least I won't want a sports car...

the new line of cb bikes are great ! my buddy has a cb500f, super fun to wring out! Not sure how the 900 is but if you are looking at more of an adv / dual sport type of bike (from Honda) I would look at the new Africa twin
https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

Pricey but man is a great ride ! I rode one for an extended test drive with Honda over the weekend last summer. Amazing what that bike can do in the right hands (not me lol). They had a couple guys that rode in the Dakar rally - holy crap were they fast on those bikes ! 

also you can't go wrong with the klr - new ones look nice but nothing wrong with an old Kawasaki klr 650
Literally one of the best all around type bikes out there. Super cheap to maintain, insure, initial purchase price, etc. What's not mustachian about the klr  I ask ? haha...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:45:48 AM by Kevin S. »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!