Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288263 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #500 on: January 31, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
My stupid thing I'm lusting after: a jazz band I am all excited about is playing four concerts in a really nice venue near where I live. Very expensive ($85). I am going to attend one of the shows with a friend who will be visiting from San Francisco and it will be a lovely night and I'm really looking forward to it. And I am STILL driving myself crazy with thoughts of buying another ticket to one of the other three shows, instead of being happy with just seeing one. 

Making it worse: the advertising algorithms have caught on to my dilemma, and almost every ad I see on every website I visit is advertising this concert! A girl only has so much willpower, you know? :-(

No, but my tailpipe may be clogged

Have you tried eating more vegetables?

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #501 on: February 02, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
These beauties...  It's scary how close I've come to picking up the Stowa.  I have a feeling I will regret not picking it up soon.  When watches get popular they jack up the price like the Damasko DA36 did.  Of course, this help me not want it even more, so I am comfortable with that too :)

You wanna buy my Nomos? :-P
Ha. This thread is actually going to cost people money. I'm intrigued.

Well it'll earn me money!  But I bought it when the EUR/USD rate sucked so I think we would end up losing money on both ends here.

Right?? That's what makes the purchase so hard to say "No" to.  There is such a solid resale market, it's not like 2nd gen s2000's are being built anytime soon.  And as for the Nomos....   what model ya got?  Haha 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
My stupid thing I'm lusting after: a jazz band I am all excited about is playing four concerts in a really nice venue near where I live. Very expensive ($85). I am going to attend one of the shows with a friend who will be visiting from San Francisco and it will be a lovely night and I'm really looking forward to it. And I am STILL driving myself crazy with thoughts of buying another ticket to one of the other three shows, instead of being happy with just seeing one. 

Hold out! you'll see one show, it'll still be great!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »

This.

Also, sometimes getting to a show very early/ staying late can enhance the experience. Sometimes cool things happen before/after a show.

Also, DS, do any of your regular venues have a volunteer usher program? I usher at my regional theater, mostly for the community experience, but the free shows are a pretty great perk. We have a great Jazz Series, plus lots of one night only appearances.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
I've held out on buying it so far :-)  There's a chance they might do some last-minute half-price tickets, in which case all bets are off. And I've been fighting a new wave of temptation the last couple of days because I found out for sure I'm not losing my job (will be transitioning to a new company) and SURELY I need to CELEBRATE by spending MONEY... :-P That's what my brain keeps whispering at me, anyway.

Also, sometimes getting to a show very early/ staying late can enhance the experience. Sometimes cool things happen before/after a show.

Also, DS, do any of your regular venues have a volunteer usher program? I usher at my regional theater, mostly for the community experience, but the free shows are a pretty great perk. We have a great Jazz Series, plus lots of one night only appearances.

Yes, some of my regular venues have volunteer usher programs. Unfortunately one of them would conflict with my work hours (I can't get there in time) and the other is... well, let's say the person who is in charge of the place is someone I refuse to work with. But those places always have cheap tickets anyway ($15-$20), so it's not a huge deal to get in for free. The more expensive places do not have volunteers. I guess at $85 a ticket you can afford to pay part-time ushers! Most of the mid-tier places (the $30-35 ticket places) have a host(ess)/wait(er/ress) situation rather than ushers.

I do almost always go to shows early, it's a great way to meet people. And it's a good way to avoid spending money for me, because that's prime dinner-and-drinks time, and I'm liable to get food or a drink if I'm trying to kill an hour downtown after work.

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #505 on: February 05, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
I'd love to get new laminate flooring everywhere. A more mustachian option is just replace the bedroom carpets which are just disgusting and why I want new floors. The most mustachian option is get rugs to cover the worst stains, which I did last weekend for ~$70. But new floors would be so nice!! I just can't justify the $2500 cost, which would probably turn into $4500 when the floors I want don't match the cabinets and those would need a good white painting.. sigh...

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: February 06, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
I want a little appliance that vacuum-seal our food at home.

I have one (1) intended use for it, which is to store home-made pesto.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #507 on: February 06, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »

This is what I call a "Good Intention Gadget", People buy them, use them for a short time, then lose interest. There are a lot of them around with very low mileage, so to speak. Try asking for one on a FB Group or freecycle, NextDoor, Craigslist or your local equivalent. It should be a pretty easy search. Try to get one with bags, because those buggers are pricey. If you must buy bags, try Bed, Bath & Beyond with a coupon or Amazon.

Funny, I have an inherited vacuum sealer thingy and I use canning jars to store my pesto. Never thought of using the bags, but sounds like a good idea.

I've held out on buying it so far :-)  There's a chance they might do some last-minute half-price tickets, in which case all bets are off. And I've been fighting a new wave of temptation the last couple of days because I found out for sure I'm not losing my job (will be transitioning to a new company) and SURELY I need to CELEBRATE by spending MONEY... :-P That's what my brain keeps whispering at me, anyway.

Yes, some of my regular venues have volunteer usher programs. Unfortunately one of them would conflict with my work hours (I can't get there in time) and the other is... well, let's say the person who is in charge of the place is someone I refuse to work with. But those places always have cheap tickets anyway ($15-$20), so it's not a huge deal to get in for free. The more expensive places do not have volunteers. I guess at $85 a ticket you can afford to pay part-time ushers! Most of the mid-tier places (the $30-35 ticket places) have a host(ess)/wait(er/ress) situation rather than ushers.

I do almost always go to shows early, it's a great way to meet people. And it's a good way to avoid spending money for me, because that's prime dinner-and-drinks time, and I'm liable to get food or a drink if I'm trying to kill an hour downtown after work.

I agree that none of those options sound very alluring. Besides, you enjoy your shows so much that working them might take some of the fun out of it. As SS might say, "Carry on."

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #508 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
an air wheel. I keep seeing them more and more often here in Seattle.
It would allow me to take an earlier bus to work. The one I take now I have to get off to take a connecting bus and that one is the first one of the day. I would take the first bus almost all the way to work and then use the air wheel to get the rest of the way.
Plus coming home there isn't a connection bus so I usually have to walk over a mile and a half to the bus.....walking isn't bad as long as the weather is nice but it does take a lot of time. This would allow me to make an earlier bus so my commute both ways would be better.
They are not cheap however, several hundred dollars worth

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
Kokoon sleep headphones.  I am definitely NOT buying this one, not until it is out of the kickstarter mode, but my husband snores and earplugs aren't cutting it.

Also, a new mattress.  I will probably pull the trigger on one soon.  My husband is complaining his hips hurt, and our mattress is pretty old.  I am thinking about something like a Casper with the 100 day guarantee. 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: February 06, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »
This may sounds cheesy but I'm really lusting after more free time. My job has been crazy lately with more "encouraged" (a.k.a. forced) overtime.

...I guess that's what I'm working on here, right?

fsohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #511 on: February 07, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
I have a strong desire to buy a fancy (~$250)new Olympic weight bar, even though I'm still at least a month away from hitting the maximum on precisely one out of the five major lifts....

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #512 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:13 AM »
It broke my heart to sell our sailboat, and I will covet another for a long time - until I buy one basically.  That could be a couple of decades, if at all.

I may soothe the pain by sharing a 19' runabout with a very mustachian friend who has already bought it and offered to split the cost with me.  (He is FI but works part time and hangs out with his kids most of the time, the damnably wise and frugal bastard).  Of course he found the boat on Craigslist etc etc.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »

I must admit that I have one which is gathering dust. I find it much easier to put stuff in a ziplock and press the excess air out.

This- I've gotten pretty good at sucking or pressing the air out of all of my ziploc bags, and I've noticed a big difference in how long things stay fresh

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #514 on: February 08, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Winter clothes.

It's February in Sydney.

jr1029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #515 on: February 09, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
This gigantic chocolate chip cake thing they sell at the deli across from my apartment -- cookie base, creamy filling, more cookies. And a white hot chocolate with whipped cream from Starbucks.

Also, delivery pizza for lunch on this snow day.

I'm working on eating less junk and losing a small amount of weight, and I have a fridge full of healthy foods. Thus these are REALLY STUPID things to lust after!

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »
Between the cold and a few nights sleeping in a weird position, my back is currently one tight knotty mess and I am aching for a massage and some spa-like pampering in general.  I love massages, and even know where I can get some relatively cheap and good ones, but emphasize on the RELATIVE-- even a cheap massage runs something like $40, including tip.  And here I'm reading the ads for expensive frou frou places like Burke Williams and drooling a little over all the luscious descriptions of the services they provide.

What I'm actually going to do-- scrub the tub tomorrow night, and have a long, hot soak with a (gifted) lush bath bomb while listening to my favorite podcast.  Not quite the same, but pretty good.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #517 on: February 12, 2017, 01:44:06 AM »
Winter clothes.

It's February in Sydney.
That is pretty silly.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: February 12, 2017, 01:58:45 AM »
Winter clothes.

It's February in Sydney.
That is pretty silly.

It was 44 degrees here yesterday. I was enjoying the distant memory of winter.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #519 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
Jar in a pot? I always just use another pot over the pot. It works pretty well for me.

My list is too long. But lusting might be too strong of a word for most of them. Here are some of the things I want: Bigger house, hot tub (but like SO MUCH WANT on this one), a bidet, a Mercedes-Benz (I'm not sure why, I don't think I've ever even driven one, they just look pretty), almost all new furniture including a new piano, electronics for my kids so they'll leave my phone alone, a vacation to a resort in Cancun and multiple vacations to multiple European destinations. Oh, and a pool to swim in so I guess a fancy gym membership?

Yeah, I won't be getting any of that.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #520 on: February 12, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »

This.

Lost the battle today after the trumpet player sent out a promo code to his mailing list, bringing the price down by quite a bit. Hopefully I will not start lusting after a third ticket now ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
Probably the dumbest is some custom BLUE Petrie boots.  Euro is low enough that it gets so tempting.  I would require the black snakeprint breeches Dover currently has on sale to pair with these:

I actually emailed this Etsy seller today to see if they could do this kombucha crock in grass green.  Last year I started a continuous brew system in a little $10 water dispenser, but an opaque container could live near the window, and these are beautiful to look at too:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/216129484/made-to-order-two-gallon-kombucha?ref=related-3&show_panel=true  Still a stupid waste of money since I could either re-start my old system, or get a nicer glass vessel for ~$20 and add teh $13 stainless spigot and call it a day.

Today i was also looking at western saddles. I don't ride western, and I've had a few western saddles over the last ten years, almost never ride in them, and end up reselling.  But here I am lusting after a really nice, handmade one right now ($2-3K used).  Of course this would precipitate purchase of accessories as well.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: February 13, 2017, 12:18:14 AM »
Winter clothes.

It's February in Sydney.
That is pretty silly.

44 degrees is an acceptable February temperature for much of the planet.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #523 on: February 13, 2017, 03:50:20 AM »
Kokoon sleep headphones.  I am definitely NOT buying this one, not until it is out of the kickstarter mode, but my husband snores and earplugs aren't cutting it.

Also, a new mattress.  I will probably pull the trigger on one soon.  My husband is complaining his hips hurt, and our mattress is pretty old.  I am thinking about something like a Casper with the 100 day guarantee.

On the earplugs front go onto Amazon and look into the Nascar Spark plugs, they're the highest dampening rating foam earplugs you can buy that I am aware of. You can get them in a big box of 200 wrapped pairs for about 22 bucks delivered. They're about the quietest ones you can get. Look on youtube how to put in ear plugs the best way. Many people don't and you get in WAY more noise if they're not in properly, almost everyone I have paid attention to that doesn't use earplugs for work and have special training uses them wrong and about 50% plus of them do. Not saying you're dumb, just saying it's a very common reason why the plugs aren't cutting it.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
I have a strong desire to buy a fancy (~$250)new Olympic weight bar, even though I'm still at least a month away from hitting the maximum on precisely one out of the five major lifts....

Weights and associated equipment are normally very cheap on craigslist.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #525 on: February 13, 2017, 07:07:33 AM »
Winter clothes.

It's February in Sydney.
That is pretty silly.

44 degrees is an acceptable February temperature for much of the planet.

Is that Fahrenheit (cool) or Celsius (brutally hot)?

Celsius, I'm sure. I'm seeing that Sydney was 106 Fahrenheit (41 Celsius) on February 10th.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: February 13, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »
On the earplugs front go onto Amazon and look into the Nascar Spark plugs, they're the highest dampening rating foam earplugs you can buy that I am aware of. You can get them in a big box of 200 wrapped pairs for about 22 bucks delivered. They're about the quietest ones you can get. Look on youtube how to put in ear plugs the best way. Many people don't and you get in WAY more noise if they're not in properly, almost everyone I have paid attention to that doesn't use earplugs for work and have special training uses them wrong and about 50% plus of them do. Not saying you're dumb, just saying it's a very common reason why the plugs aren't cutting it.

Thank you!  I will look into that!  I just use the Macks Foam earplugs from the grocery store as they are the most comfortable I have tried. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: February 13, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
I really want to plastidip my car. Like really badly. There's nothing particularly wrong with the paint...except that it's silver and not teal. It would be like $400-$450 or so, or as low as $250 if I borrowed the sprayer from a friend. It DOES protect the paint even from small door dings, so that's a bonus, but considering I will not/cannot sell the car that point is moot. (I'm not the registered owner...it's been a difficult process to get the title from halfway across the state)

I thought about doing just the rims, mirrors, emblem, etc as a substitute, but that's still $20-$30 I don't need to spend.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »

Thank you!  I will look into that!  I just use the Macks Foam earplugs from the grocery store as they are the most comfortable I have tried.

I also sleep in earplugs and I also buy the 200-packs from Amazon... I use these: http://a.co/52ZtisR  They are great as long as you put them in correctly. (They are NOT great if you don't put them in correctly - take StartingEarly's advice and look that up.) I also keep a few pairs in my bag at all times for when I go to loud concerts; I have non-disposable music earplugs for myself, but I give these away to friends and strangers who need them - for less than 10 cents a pair, I'll take the good karma for preventing someone else's tinnitus.

Another tip: if you've been reusing the same earplugs, be aware that they do not block sound as well with repeated uses. They may still look 100% perfect and be totally clean, but they will not block as much sound after a couple of days. You can experiment and see what works for you, but I change mine every 3-5 days or so.

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »

Stage 4, 110decibel rated 3M earmuffs - with foam earplugs - is the only way I do checks on the CAT's on the boat.
Never, ever worked on such obnoxious sounding and pointlessly loud engines (and so  crap to do maintenance on).
Auxiliaries that are louder than the main engines despite being rated 20x less powerful? Check!

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #530 on: February 15, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #531 on: February 15, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
I got my husband a Texla Model X for Christmas.  Spendy - but - well - I love him and I want room to put a giant cat cage in it so that our future cats can travel across the country with us every summer to our "summer place" - somewhere rented and cooler.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: February 15, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
kitty scarf. scarf for kitties

https://catandmeow.com/products/scarfie-a-scarf-for-cats
I will freely admit my cat has two scarves. They were both out of Petco's clearance bin after the holidays. $16 seems a little crazy...and marked down from $30? Yeah no. That said, the hat on that cat is adorable, and it's now the stupidest thing I'm lusting after right now.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: February 15, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »
I got my husband a Texla Model X for Christmas...

Guess you didn't lust for long. And what a lucky guy!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #534 on: February 15, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
I got my husband a Texla Model X for Christmas...

Guess you didn't lust for long. And what a lucky guy!
Wow. Nice.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: February 15, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »
I've long wanted a 6-8 qt cast-iron pot, which I really don't need; successfully resisting.  However, I caved in and ordered an Instant Pot this weekend. 

And I'm probably going to cave on the new $50 Nook when the local store gets theirs in.  I have two of the Simple Touch version that mostly work, despite scratched screens and semi-worn-out buttons that occasionally stick.  Considering what I save by downloading library books, I guess the Nook isn't _that_ stupid to want. 

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
kitty scarf. scarf for kitties

https://catandmeow.com/products/scarfie-a-scarf-for-cats
I will freely admit my cat has two scarves. They were both out of Petco's clearance bin after the holidays. $16 seems a little crazy...and marked down from $30? Yeah no. That said, the hat on that cat is adorable, and it's now the stupidest thing I'm lusting after right now.

well earlier this week i watched one of my cats literally eat dirt off of the floor so i'm deeply resentful and can resist spending any money on them... for now.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
I've long wanted a 6-8 qt cast-iron pot, which I really don't need; successfully resisting.  However, I caved in and ordered an Instant Pot this weekend. 

And I'm probably going to cave on the new $50 Nook when the local store gets theirs in.  I have two of the Simple Touch version that mostly work, despite scratched screens and semi-worn-out buttons that occasionally stick.  Considering what I save by downloading library books, I guess the Nook isn't _that_ stupid to want.

Instant Pots are awesome.  My last roommates had one and I will be buying one soon.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
A Mazzer Super Jolly. Its a thousand dollar coffee grinder. Because you know the problems I've been having achieving even coffee grinds have been affecting how close I am to FI.  Seriously though it also can grind spices so that makes it ok right?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: February 16, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »
I got my husband a Texla Model X for Christmas.  Spendy - but - well - I love him and I want room to put a giant cat cage in it so that our future cats can travel across the country with us every summer to our "summer place" - somewhere rented and cooler.

I read this as sarcasm. Am I the only one?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:39 AM »
I actually think I am cured. I haven't been lusting for new things for quite some time now. They only thing I want is more free/days off.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #541 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:06 AM »
Solar panels. The ROI is worse than prepaying the mortgage, but if money was no concern I would get 2 of these. Maybe when costs come down.

www.smartflower.com

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #542 on: February 20, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »
I am lusting after this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8H09LQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I bought it. Its completely pointless. There is no reason for me to buy it considering I have 3 mechanical keyboards at home already, but what the hell...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »
I am lusting after this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8H09LQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I bought it. Its completely pointless. There is no reason for me to buy it considering I have 3 mechanical keyboards at home already, but what the hell...

Nice looking keyboard. I want to get a custom WASD Keyboard with Cherry MX Browns switches and a Dvorak layout. Probably would be $180...

Stlbroke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #544 on: February 20, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »
Optishot golf simulator.  It's for home simulation and runs around $350-$500.  I would also need a few other things like a mat, special golf balls, a screen, etc. that would increase the cost.  I've been wanting it for a few years years now and I just can't pull the trigger. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #545 on: February 20, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
A full frame DSLR. I went looking through my old pictures and realized how much I miss it. I had a cheaper crop sensor DSLR (Canon 450D) and sold it when I really needed the money, but I can't justify getting another DSLR unless it's a full-frame like a Canon 6D. It's like...$1000 but probably the best camera for the money. I just know I'll feel limited by a cheap DSLR and won't be fully satisfied...

Time to focus on other hobbies and forget about this one...

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
A house to buy in my current neighborhood. I live in Superexpensiveville.

SmokeySnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
a splitboard setup for backcountry snowboarding. The jealousy of several of my friends getting one this year is real!! Despite the fact that, I don't have many available days for backcountry touring, the whole setup is anywhere from $1000-$1500, and my snowshoes and regular snowboard strapped to my backpack get me up the mountainside just fine...

dropspindl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #548 on: February 22, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
A spinning wheel. Then I can spin wool so much FASTER than my drop spindle!

....But it's just a hobby anyways and there's no rush to production, so spinning faster just means I'll have to buy more wool and make more things :P

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #549 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
I kind of want a pair of these Allbirds shoes, but fortunately they only come in whole sizes, and I'm afraid if I order up they'll look and feel too big:  https://www.allbirds.com/pages/help