Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288168 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #450 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »
Google's Pixel phone.
Dog(s). (Uh... not lusting. Just desperately want.)
All Clad cookware.
Buy a condo in the building where I currently rent.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:35:36 PM by Inaya »

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
There is a nice ranch house for sale that is about double the size of our current home, it is located out in the country on 2.5 acres of land. Build in 2011, geothermal, an above ground pool that I would never use, etc... I want it, have no need for it. Then I realize it would kick my FIRE date about 10+ years down the road and that's it.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
A 40 foot sailing catamaran.   Would sell everything and move aboard. Price 400k.  Current net total worth is 2M if we sell everything.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: January 23, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
Dog(s). (Uh... not lusting. Just desperately want.)
I don't think this is stupid at all. Dogs are great companions and can cost very little for the high pleasure they give.
I appreciate you saying so! And normally I'd agree; however, it's stupid because it's not logical for my life situation. Dog ownership right now would not be responsible or fair to the dog. And making it so would not be good financial sense. I'll wait until FI and dote on my cat in the meantime.

AJ41

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #454 on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »
A Polaris Slingshot

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
A Polaris Slingshot

My friend & her husband have one of those.  She said when she drives around without him, it's a total dude magnet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #456 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:04 PM »
Stackable washer and dryer. My washer irreversibly bit the dust today. Looking around at options for replacement, I started to fantasize about how nice it would be to have a stacked set, so they're not both behind overlapping doors, where I invariably get thwacked a couple times a week (even the dog does it, lol). But if I stacked and took off a door... then could make super cute handy shelving next to it... le sigh.

We'll probably be getting freebies from my ILs. Hoping!

AJ41

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
A Polaris Slingshot

My friend & her husband have one of those.  She said when she drives around without him, it's a total dude magnet.

What do your friends primarily use it for?

AJ41

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
Also lusting for this so if my one has a good deal on one let me know.

Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: January 23, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Also lusting for this so if my one has a good deal on one let me know.

Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

Already have my countdown in getting one.
End of 2017. Maybe by this August, I can get one for my birthday.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »
Stackable washer and dryer. My washer irreversibly bit the dust today. Looking around at options for replacement, I started to fantasize about how nice it would be to have a stacked set, so they're not both behind overlapping doors, where I invariably get thwacked a couple times a week (even the dog does it, lol). But if I stacked and took off a door... then could make super cute handy shelving next to it... le sigh.

We'll probably be getting freebies from my ILs. Hoping!

Good luck! I've had this lust too- I could build a nice keggerator system for my brewing in the space where the dryer used to be... But definitely not needed if you have working appliances

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #461 on: January 23, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »
I know...so dumb but ugh...

But so worth it.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »
A Polaris Slingshot

My old neighbor bought one when they first came out. He took me for a spin around the block. Fun little 3 wheeler that is for sure

His is all black and sometimes he wears a batman helmet - kids at the local school must lose their minds lol

my current A.D.D gearhead lust is these 2 wheeled death scooters
They look like so much fun !

or this...so much want

My frugal ness will probably kick in and I will just end up with my old trust Suzuki drz.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:06:07 AM by Kevin S. »

thenextguy

• Stubble
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
I'm a total sucker for electronics. Need proof? How about this ridiculous want list:

New Galaxy S5 (new old stock is on ebay for around $220). I'm currently using a Galaxy S2.

A Vitamix blender. $400 to $500.

Sonicare diamond toothbrush. $100.

FLIR camera. Very cool way to see leaky pipes, roof leaks, and bad insulation in your house. About $500.

Security cam system. The ones I want run around $1,500.

New LED motion detection porch lights for my house. About $80 each.

Medium to high end desktop computer and monitor to replace my 8 year old much upgraded and repaired Dell. About $2,000.

A Geiger counter. About $500. Yes, a Geiger counter. Face punch me.

I'm not sure about Vitamix, but you can sometimes get refurbished BlendTec blenders in the low/mid 200's. Still a lot for a blender, but they're awesome...
Not that I'm enabling or anything, but Costco sells Vitamix Blenders. Maybe if you have a rebate coming soon??

The Vitamix road show was at my Costco last week. I stood around and watched the demo. I nearly bought one. Since I am recently FIRE'd, I want to focus on eating more healthy and losing at least 20 pounds. I'm already eating better and losing weight, but a Vitamix might make it more pleasant.

I'll probably buy one, but I plan to wait until July. Reasons being that last month I spent $300 on the Trinity rolling tool chest that they had on sale. A nice tool chest was the last accessory I was waiting for to finish off my newly built garage.

I arbitrarily count any purchase below $100 as miscellaneous, and above $100 as major. And for optional major purchases, I like to keep them down to no more than two or three per year.

Last reason is that Chase may bring back the 5% cash back for July through December, so that would be better than the 2% that the Costco Citi card provides.

About the rebate, I joined Costco last July when they opened a store near to me. Between the gift card and coupons, they practically paid me to join as an executive member, so I did. But my executive member rebate won't come until July. And I used my Chase Freedom card at Costco for everything but gas, since Chase was 5% cash back for the last six months of the year. So no big windfall for me in the January Costco rebate.

StachelessNicholas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
I really want a nice road bike... a new Cervelo costs more than the car that I drive though

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:54 AM »
A Polaris Slingshot

My old neighbor bought one when they first came out. He took me for a spin around the block. Fun little 3 wheeler that is for sure

His is all black and sometimes he wears a batman helmet - kids at the local school must lose their minds lol

my current A.D.D gearhead lust is these 2 wheeled death scooters
They look like so much fun !

or this...so much want

My frugal ness will probably kick in and I will just end up with my old trust Suzuki drz.
Definitely hooligan machines. Got to be worth it though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #467 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:59 AM »
A piece of carrot cake with nuts and chocolate that the canteen at my work sells today. It looks delicious. So far, I have been able to resist it and ate some fresh carrots instead. But it didn't do the trick to fill up my stomach.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: January 25, 2017, 04:54:50 AM »
Add me to the people drooling over art: there is an auction tomorrow about 30 miles away that has 600 pieces on resale.  I've got my bookmarks in the online catalogue down to 7, which at top estimates would be about half my monthly income.  A couple of the ones from contemporary artists are insanely cheap compared to their gallery prices.  But I'm running out of wall space and have previously told myself only to buy quality items that I will really love.  Help.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #469 on: January 25, 2017, 05:03:10 AM »
Add me to the people drooling over art: there is an auction tomorrow about 30 miles away that has 600 pieces on resale.  I've got my bookmarks in the online catalogue down to 7, which at top estimates would be about half my monthly income.  A couple of the ones from contemporary artists are insanely cheap compared to their gallery prices.  But I'm running out of wall space and have previously told myself only to buy quality items that I will really love.  Help.

We discovered many years ago that lithographies are a lot cheaper than paintings and can be just as nice to look at.
If your walls are full, then just stop looking for new art. Or first sell some of the stuff you already have.

SuperMex

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
The Rolex is only 25k not six figures, stop judging!

I'm going to my safe space now.....

Class of 2020 - Gender studies Major with a Minor in French Architecture.

lol

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #471 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:35 AM »
Northwoods cabin. I sold mine about a year and a half ago because I was down from using it over 20xs a year to once a year. It truly was a place I loved and I miss it all the time BUT having owned it with the carrying costs I could of rented a place 20x's and still come out ahead and havent. So I just think about that. No time, and that puts the mental kabash on it for now. Maybe when the kids are gone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #472 on: January 26, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
A new bumper cover cause I cracked mine :-(

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: January 26, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
And I'm not even a car guy, but something about the classics.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #474 on: January 26, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

We discovered many years ago that lithographies are a lot cheaper than paintings and can be just as nice to look at.
If your walls are full, then just stop looking for new art. Or first sell some of the stuff you already have.

Bahahaha *wipes tear from eye*, you obviously don't understand what an art addiction is like!! Also, I prefer to buy originals because it supports the artist a lot more...it's not that I just want something pretty to look at. ;)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: January 26, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »

Bahahaha *wipes tear from eye*, you obviously don't understand what an art addiction is like!! Also, I prefer to buy originals because it supports the artist a lot more...it's not that I just want something pretty to look at. ;)
I do have a couple of lithographs, but I love the texture of paint and mixed media more.  I ended up buying two pictures (a pair of mixed media abstracts) at the auction to pick up later today.  I do have wall space for them, just.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »

I do have a couple of lithographs, but I love the texture of paint and mixed media more.  I ended up buying two pictures (a pair of mixed media abstracts) at the auction to pick up later today.  I do have wall space for them, just.

I can't stand to pay the markups for a copy, no matter how good it is.  I'd rather have a unique piece of crap from a college student than a lithograph of the most famous painting on earth.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »

Was it the REAR bumper? <coughyouriconcough>

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #478 on: January 26, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »

Was it the REAR bumper? <coughyouriconcough>

No, but my tailpipe may be clogged

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: January 26, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
I suppose it would be.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
I fell down a rabbit hole on YouTube and got sucked into aviation videos. Now I want to go back and complete my private pilot's license.  Only ~$10k for the license, and I love flying. Too bad the license is only the beginning... renting or buying a share of a plane ain't cheap either, and you need to fly enough to keep current.  Very FI derailing hobby.

This seems to happen to me about once a year, just got to tough it out until the desire dies down a bit.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »

Sexy....I'm just in the beginning of my art addiction and I'm very concerned about how quickly its come on.  I've always liked art but its just recently that I've been looking at things and thinking "Wait...I can BUY that."  I'm nowhere near FIRE though so it's all just a big tease.  I've cobbled gift money and savings for a trip (which I'll postpone) together so I can buy one of the pieces I saw in Paris but it'll be awhile until I let myself get another one.  At least, I'm hoping my will power can stick to that...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »

I can't stand to pay the markups for a copy, no matter how good it is.  I'd rather have a unique piece of crap from a college student than a lithograph of the most famous painting on earth.
I'm more into having "something pretty to look at." I don't pet the stuff on my wall. If it got stolen or burned down I'd be sad for the original piece of crap. Instead I can just buy another print of my favorite whatever, and get every bit of visual joy out of it as I would the original at a fraction of the price. Everyone has their thing, though.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
I've been eyeing C6 Z51 Corvettes lately...I'm really tempted to sell my 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo and get something a lot newer with a bigger engine (incredibly, about the same fuel economy - maybe even better on the highway)...I've had the MR2 for almost 9 years and it's been a constant project.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2017, 04:55:29 AM »
I keep looking at Mammoth tooth ivory pistol grips. I do NOT need them, but I want them badly. beautiful, unique, hand crafted, and no worries about fair trade or anything since the animal has been extinct for 10k years or so. But prices start at $500 and go up from there.

I am downsizing my shooting collection, so that's good at least. made some money but it would be better served in the market or for the business I want to start this year.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
I keep looking at Mammoth tooth ivory pistol grips. I do NOT need them, but I want them badly. beautiful, unique, hand crafted, and no worries about fair trade or anything since the animal has been extinct for 10k years or so. But prices start at $500 and go up from there.

I am downsizing my shooting collection, so that's good at least. made some money but it would be better served in the market or for the business I want to start this year.

Oh my. I didn't know that they made such things...

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #486 on: January 29, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
This pen:

http://thefountainpencommunity.activeboard.com/t46367058/pelikan-m400-green-black-striped-vintage-fountain-pen/

I have plenty of functional fountain pens, but this one is soooo pretty!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:53:38 AM by Mezzie »

Angeliqueshara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #487 on: January 30, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
A DMC free standing embroidery floss spinner, fully loaded.  http://www.dmc-usa.com/Retail-Fixtures.aspx

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #488 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
These beauties...  It's scary how close I've come to picking up the Stowa.  I have a feeling I will regret not picking it up soon.  When watches get popular they jack up the price like the Damasko DA36 did.  Of course, this help me not want it even more, so I am comfortable with that too :)

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #489 on: January 31, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »

Oh my. I didn't know that they made such things...

right?!? how sexy is that? I like them in the blue/green area but still, beautiful and awesome for a lifetime.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #490 on: January 31, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »
I've been eyeing C6 Z51 Corvettes lately...I'm really tempted to sell my 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo and get something a lot newer with a bigger engine (incredibly, about the same fuel economy - maybe even better on the highway)...I've had the MR2 for almost 9 years and it's been a constant project.

If you sell that mr2 turbo I might be interested depending on price and location. I'm in Colorado.

I can't blame ya if you buy a c6. They are really amazing machines ! However have you looked at the price of consumables - tires,brakes,fluids, etc ? Not sure if you will be tracking it but they are not cheap! Rear tires for the corvette are pricey !

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #491 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
These beauties...  It's scary how close I've come to picking up the Stowa.  I have a feeling I will regret not picking it up soon.  When watches get popular they jack up the price like the Damasko DA36 did.  Of course, this help me not want it even more, so I am comfortable with that too :)

You wanna buy my Nomos? :-P

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: January 31, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »

If you sell that mr2 turbo I might be interested depending on price and location. I'm in Colorado.

I can't blame ya if you buy a c6. They are really amazing machines ! However have you looked at the price of consumables - tires,brakes,fluids, etc ? Not sure if you will be tracking it but they are not cheap! Rear tires for the corvette are pricey !

My MR2 is at 460whp and can burn tires too, haha.  I actually did price brakes and they're cheaper than MR2 Turbo brakes, if you can believe that. Tires are a little more, but not terrible.

I keep going back and forth...I probably should keep my car but I'm just so tired of constantly fixing things here and there.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: January 31, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

My MR2 is at 460whp and can burn tires too, haha.  I actually did price brakes and they're cheaper than MR2 Turbo brakes, if you can believe that. Tires are a little more, but not terrible.

I keep going back and forth...I probably should keep my car but I'm just so tired of constantly fixing things here and there.

sounds like a fun car ! Personally I would just keep the mr2 especially if the vette requires car payments

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #494 on: January 31, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »

Ha. This thread is actually going to cost people money. I'm intrigued.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: January 31, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »

sounds like a fun car ! Personally I would just keep the mr2 especially if the vette requires car payments

The MR2 needs a head rebuild, which is yet another item in the long list of things I've had to fix or rebuild in the last 8-9 years.  I'm tired...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #496 on: January 31, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »

Ha. This thread is actually going to cost people money. I'm intrigued.

Well it'll earn me money!  But I bought it when the EUR/USD rate sucked so I think we would end up losing money on both ends here.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #497 on: January 31, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »

The MR2 needs a head rebuild, which is yet another item in the long list of things I've had to fix or rebuild in the last 8-9 years.  I'm tired...

I hear ya. It's why I'm debating on getting another project car (sn95 mustang maybe) or building a v8 Miata or just getting something newer,nicer and probably a lot less headache. Then my mustachianismism kicks in and I put my wallet away lol

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
A new gaming rig/workstation, even though there is exactly one game I might want to play (for maybe a dozen hours at most given my previous history) that my current 9 year old rig /w 3 year old GPU can't play. Something faster than USB2 would be stellar though; backups take forever these days.

Used to replace my rig every 18 months or so, hah... so much wasted cash. Actually kind of want to see just how long the current rig will last.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #499 on: January 31, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
There are a few expensive things I would love to have:

1) I want an HTC Vive... A coworker has one which i have had the chance to play with on several occasions and it is beyond cool
2) LG's flat OLED tvs are beautiful and ever time we go shopping at sam's club there is a big display sitting there

I guess my old plasma tv and boring old normal reality will have to do for not until each of those prices goes down to half what they are now