Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287964 times)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
My BF and most of my friends are skiers, and it's really difficult to follow them when they're skinning up backcountry and I'm walking with my board on my back. A split board would allow me to skin alongside with them, which would be nice. But they're expensive. And outdoor sports are my greatest financial vice/pleasure/fuck-it-I'm-buying...

Thank you for that explanation, I had no idea what split boards were for.  I thought it was some sort of gateway for you "knuckle-draggers" to transition to the civilized side of snow sports ;)

And please note, I am kidding about that knuckle-dragger, it is standard banter between boarders and skiers :)

No worries.... you uptight, no-fun, old-school skier...

*joke, of course!*

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Awesome ! Not to thread hijack but do you mind posting some pics ?

Turbo or NA ?

My fiancé is a Toyota fanatic. We currently own an 89 Toyota corolla wagon alltrac. She wants to find another 89 corolla 2 door sr5 

Also another lusty lusterson in regards to fun mode of transport

THe only motorcycle I wish I never sold...

Honda cbr 1100xx blackbird - with low miles !

Why?  Future-proofing?  No such thing with TVs.  I'm thinking roll upp-able, folding TVs in the next 10-15, right?
Anyway, I bought the 2017 honda ridgeline I was lusting after today.  40k cash.  Ah well.  Not mustachian at all.  What am i doing on these forums??

Ugh! Man I feel your pain. After sitting in one at the dealership I can see why you bought one. I want a base fwd model ! Might buy one (very slight chance) once they come down in price and I can find a good clean used one. I don't need anywhere near that much truck. My 4 cylinder ranger has been a tank.

Currently lusting after a 92 Toyota mr2 turbo that a friend is selling. Always wanted one ! So hard not to buy lol

I've had a '91 for 8+ years now. They're fun. :)

Turbo.
http://i.imgur.com/owprXFD.png
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/jlees-1991-toyota-mr2-turbo-build-thread.2127356/
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/jlees-1991-toyota-mr2-turbo-build-thread-part-2.2483251/

It's my biggest non-MMM downfall, haha.

Beautiful sw20 ! looks like a really fun car ! Definitly not MMM approved but that's ok. I figure as long as you are still able to save, live frugal then why not blow your money on what makes you happy ! For me cars / motorcycles are my only true passion worth blowing money on lol.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »
I plan on driving the Ridgeline for 10-15 years; still not the best in terms of mustachianism. The first brand new car I've ever owned. Had the bed fully loaded up this weekend though, love the utility.
Also been getting into hunting, picked up an elite bow a month ago. My hobbies are transitioning into the free stuff but the initial outlay seems high...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
I love Heaven and Earth designs though I don't have the guts to use 40 count fabric for anything.  18 count is my limit.  I am fond of downloading their free cross stitch designs but they normally take about 80-90 colors plus the fabric so I tend to print them out and stare at them.

It costs a bit on the front end to kit up one of their designs, but if you run the numbers over time it's a pretty mustachian hobby. My first HAED was a 9 page quick stitch and will probably come out somewhere around $2.75/month in entertainment cost. That's without factoring in the extra fabric and floss I have leftover. I could probably get another small project or two out of the fabric and, after starting a few of their designs, I have a decent stash of colors available. When I finish this project and start another I will only buy colors I don't have or that I need more than one of. Some people buy floss by the page as well to spread costs out over time.

Well, I didn't think I was lusting after anything right now.  Then I checked the HAED website.  So now there's that.  Thanks. Thanks, so much.

Hahahaha! Oops? Well, if you want to indulge in a more Mustachian fashion I advise you that they have sales fairly regularly, up to 50% off charts and Michaels/Joanns usually have floss sales or 25% off total purchase coupons every so often.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
A new salt grinder, as I drop ours last night :-(
Is there actually any reason to have a salt mill?  Freshly ground pepper?  Sure.  But salt should not be losing any of its flavor by being pre-ground.

Table salt is gross, kosher is good for a lot of things, but not really for finishing a dish. Being able to adjust the grind size on a nice finishing salt can really take a meal up a notch.

Yes, food is sort of my obsession, how could you tell?

Currently I'm lusting after a new brewing setup. It's "only" $7k and very pretty. My current home brew setup is pretty decent, but I'd like to go all stainless. Buuut, my picnic cooler mash tun still works just fine, my mismatched kettles hold water just fine, and my current natural gas burned works just fine. So yeah, it really is just because it looks nice.

Finally I can rationalize the salt Grinder I bought 13 years ago and never used.  All I have to do is buy some nice finishing salts

do an act of kindness and mail it to Kitsunegari who just broke theirs :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:37:13 PM by HAPPYINAZ »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »
I'm separated after 20 years of marriage. After a long series of unfortunate events, at the time of separation had a beautiful diamond solitaire ring I never got to wear (was for my 20th anniversary; he purchased it while he was cheating on me, and broke up with me a month before our anniversary). Ring itself was beautiful but the situation in which I received it had negative associations. Sold ring for a loss. Though most will not understand, I miss not having a such a beautiful piece of jewelry to wear. Someday I intend on getting a beautiful right hand ring, just because.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2016, 01:08:52 PM »
i really need a brand new sawstop table saw ~$3000

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
A certain person. They're not stupid, but my lust is.

To take the following out of context:
I won't do it, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

I know what you mean. As a facebook meme last line is "the nice, attractive heterosexual men are married." I could, but not going to go there.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
A silk comforter, and a couple of sets of new sheets.
My duvet comforter feels too hot lately, and the sheets are old and dingy.
But it's all expenses I can postpone for years, and there is no point in having nice stuff with a baby in the house, so I'll wait until my youngest will be in school :-D

Unless your baby is sleeping in your bed, go ahead and splurge on good bedding! The rest of the house yes will get trashed especially things like leather sofas, fine dishware and rugs, but the bed should be your domain. FYI:If you do have your child sleeping in your bed because they are sick, do not give them the colored cough syrup!

lifeanon269

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
The stupidest thing I am lusting after at the moment is virtual reality, like the HTC Vive. I'm going to refrain from buying it as I know that the amount of time spent actually using it would never justify the $800 cost. But the lust is still there and VR just seems so cool! The idea of VR has been a sci-fi dream since childhood and the thought that it is finally starting to become a consumer reality is pretty awesome. Hopefully it'll be cheap enough someday that my mustachian conscience will allow me to buy one!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »
The stupidest thing I am lusting after at the moment is virtual reality, like the HTC Vive. I'm going to refrain from buying it as I know that the amount of time spent actually using it would never justify the $800 cost. But the lust is still there and VR just seems so cool! The idea of VR has been a sci-fi dream since childhood and the thought that it is finally starting to become a consumer reality is pretty awesome. Hopefully it'll be cheap enough someday that my mustachian conscience will allow me to buy one!

Ugh I'm with you on that ! Check out the ps4 pro with vr headset ! Amazing stuff ! I will buy one used when prices are dirt cheap and hopefully not get eye herpes... haha

Jalapeno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
I am lusting for a ~$2,500 watch. I've loved this watch for at least three years and it has remained the one watch at the top of my buy list since. Many other watches have peaked my interest only to be removed from my list, but this one is a beauty. I saw it in person not that long ago and it was even better. I love watches but so far I haven't bought any for myself outside of a $100 I bought when I graduated college. The watches I have have been gifts. I just feel weird dropping that much cash on a single item at 27 when I know I could invest it and have it be a lot more in a few years.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »

Ugh I'm with you on that ! Check out the ps4 pro with vr headset ! Amazing stuff ! I will buy one used when prices are dirt cheap and hopefully not get eye herpes... haha

I have a friend who got a Vive as a present, and playing with his has made me want one too.... The only solace I've seen is that pretty much all the games for it out now are glorified mini-games. The tech is still in its infancy but has a TON of potential.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »
A new salt grinder, as I drop ours last night :-(
Is there actually any reason to have a salt mill?  Freshly ground pepper?  Sure.  But salt should not be losing any of its flavor by being pre-ground.

My in-laws send regularly care packages from France that include salt de Guerande, so we use it pretty much on everything, but it needs to be grounded because otherwise the flocons are too big and we basically have salt pebbles on our food.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »
I am lusting for a ~$2,500 watch. I've loved this watch for at least three years and it has remained the one watch at the top of my buy list since. Many other watches have peaked my interest only to be removed from my list, but this one is a beauty. I saw it in person not that long ago and it was even better. I love watches but so far I haven't bought any for myself outside of a $100 I bought when I graduated college. The watches I have have been gifts. I just feel weird dropping that much cash on a single item at 27 when I know I could invest it and have it be a lot more in a few years.

What watch?! My parents got me an Omega Seamster when I graduated as a Doctor. I could have taken the money and lived for a month, or the watch. Sure it's expensive for something that tells time, but it's the only jewelry I wear besides now a wedding ring. It's been worn faithfully for almost 8 years now, and it's a daily reminder that I can conquer difficult things I set my mind to. So I see it as worth it. I will also give it to my son at some point.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
Rotopax fuel storage for the motorcycle. I want to take trips on the motorcycle someday and the range is only about 200 miles which limits which routes I can take. I want to get 2 3 gallon tanks that mount to the sides of the bike so I carry around 10 gallons total of usable fuel for a range closer to 400 miles. Trouble is they're about $80 each and the mounting hardware is about 30 a side.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
I want a Toro 721 4 stroke snowblower with electric start $569

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »
I want a 9 ft concert Steinway & Sons grand piano. They're about $100k. More realistically I'll be getting something in the $40k range like a Yamaha, used Steinway, etc. I just want one that speaks and sings to me :)
Found it!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »
1) A house w/ a 2-3 car garage
2) 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

Currently live in a rented apartment with street parking and drive a paid off 8 year old Japanese car.

Went to the dealer and sat in a Watkins Grey Metallic Grand Sport last weekend........was soo tempted to pull the trigger......thank god I don't have a garage yet lol.

t5inside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »
Sigh... http://www.wirewheel.com/2011-Lotus-Evora-for-sale.html. It's the V6 out of a Camry, so it's basically like buying a Camry, right?

Someone smack me :p

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #270 on: December 10, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »
Sigh... http://www.wirewheel.com/2011-Lotus-Evora-for-sale.html. It's the V6 out of a Camry, so it's basically like buying a Camry, right?

I have a friend from Utah who had a Lotus Elise for 2 years, drove it for 19k miles, and sold it for a $4k profit.

Some of those rarer, heavily depreciated cars are actually pretty darn awesome! I think his Elise got something like 32 mpg highway lol.

t5inside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »

I have a friend from Utah who had a Lotus Elise for 2 years, drove it for 19k miles, and sold it for a $4k profit.

Some of those rarer, heavily depreciated cars are actually pretty darn awesome! I think his Elise got something like 32 mpg highway lol.

You're not helping! And yeah, the Elise uses the motor out of the Toyota Matrix/Toyota Celica, so theoretically ownership costs are cheap if you don't mind doing your own maintenance.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »

You're not helping! And yeah, the Elise uses the motor out of the Toyota Matrix/Toyota Celica, so theoretically ownership costs are cheap if you don't mind doing your own maintenance.

Haha, you won't get any sympathy from me. I'm a car guy, to keep myself honest...I rent an apartment without a garage. Forces me to own cars that I don't mind parking out on the street lol.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: December 10, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
Was looking for a carbon road bike for faster group rides. Both of my bikes are awesome steel utilitarians that get the jobs done during the week--commuting, shopping, errands, etc.--with the occasional long ride. But steel frames, fenders, racks, lights, U locks do not make for a quick bike.

Scratched my itch this week after 8 months of CL watching---mint, used Specialized with Ultegra bits all around. Quick switch of pedals, seat, and tires and I'm good to go at < 40% of the new price.

Gotta love folks who buy expensive stuff on a whim so they can sell it to me later.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »
Dart's billet aluminum LS block and heads, forged rotating assembly, ~6.6L displacement. Proper dished pistons and cam for a blower. Mated to a fully upgraded T56 magnum or TR6060 6-speed. Probably cost me $15k to get it built, assembled, and swapped in...

Then I can take the LS1 I have out, clean it up, upgrade it, and stick it into a current gen miata or similar.

That's seriously stupid shit I am lusting after, and I think I'll make the first part happen in the next ~5 years.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
Dart's billet aluminum LS block and heads, forged rotating assembly, ~6.6L displacement. Proper dished pistons and cam for a blower. Mated to a fully upgraded T56 magnum or TR6060 6-speed. Probably cost me $15k to get it built, assembled, and swapped in...

Then I can take the LS1 I have out, clean it up, upgrade it, and stick it into a current gen miata or similar.

That's seriously stupid shit I am lusting after, and I think I'll make the first part happen in the next ~5 years.

You sir are my hero ! In my less mustachian years I bought and built a 302 Miata. Super fun! Super easy to spin out of control lol.

zazpowered

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Where should you invest your money?
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
I want to get a Panerai Luminor but I know it's a waste of money

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
I had to google what this was^... A fancy looking watch. Looks very nice, but expensive.

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
I want a new house. Lol... I bought this house when I made 1/3 what I make now. It's 1200 square feet and decent, but older and drafty. I'm doing some basic remodeling. Getting some new floors in a few weeks for 4k (whole house), and getting new windows in the spring.

My plan is to upgrade the house a bit, enjoy the upgrades for a few years and then rent the house out and buy a new one. I have 13 years left on the mortgage.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
You sir are my hero ! In my less mustachian years I bought and built a 302 Miata. Super fun! Super easy to spin out of control lol.

Got photos?

The new miatas are great because an LS fits into them with no cutting of the firewall, nothing. Everything works, and the LS is so small and light that the weight distribution is hardly worse.

I'd love to see your 302 miata!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2016, 08:49:46 AM »
An Amazon Dot. I have an iPad 2 sitting on top of the refrig in the kitchen that can do everything the Dot can do, except that it's not hands free b/c Siri does not run on the iPad 2, so every once in awhile I have to clean dirty hands spots off the iPad screen. Evil insidious advertising worms have made it into my head.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »
An Amazon Dot. I have an iPad 2 sitting on top of the refrig in the kitchen that can do everything the Dot can do, except that it's not hands free b/c Siri does not run on the iPad 2, so every once in awhile I have to clean dirty hands spots off the iPad screen. Evil insidious advertising worms have made it into my head.

The Amazon Dot is on sale for $39.99 today...

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #282 on: December 13, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »

Got photos?

The new miatas are great because an LS fits into them with no cutting of the firewall, nothing. Everything works, and the LS is so small and light that the weight distribution is hardly worse.

I'd love to see your 302 miata!

the nd Miata is apparently a really great chassis ! I'm scared to test drive one lol. Pretty sure it will come home with me. The nc is underrated but still a Miata = very fun, composed and the turn in is better (especially at the limit) then my na (pre 302 swap)

here is the build thread.
http://www.v8miata.net/members/tommyd426-3604-albums-bp-miata-project-82/

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »

Not helpful, haha. Just remember, you already have something that fills the need, and also that millions of people before you have thrived without having this thing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #284 on: December 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »

Not helpful, haha. Just remember, you already have something that fills the need, and also that millions of people before you have thrived without having this thing.

And the Amazon dot is just an NSA bug that they make you pay for yourself

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »

Everyone should pay their fair share of government surveillance programs.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Not an Amazon Dot, but a similarly "cool" "tech" gadget, the Nest camera: http://gizmodo.com/researchers-say-googles-nest-cam-never-turns-off-1744653116

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »

Not really fair. I know the security people at Amazon, you'd be impressed by how secure the amazon echo etc is.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
the nd Miata is apparently a really great chassis ! I'm scared to test drive one lol. Pretty sure it will come home with me. The nc is underrated but still a Miata = very fun, composed and the turn in is better (especially at the limit) then my na (pre 302 swap)

here is the build thread.
http://www.v8miata.net/members/tommyd426-3604-albums-bp-miata-project-82/

Super kickass. Thanks.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »

Not really fair. I know the security people at Amazon, you'd be impressed by how secure the amazon echo etc is.

It may be secure from outside attack, but not from secret warrants and wiretaps at the data center.  I'm not just picking on Amazon, though, this is a potential problem with equivalent MS, Apple, and Google services

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2016, 01:54:34 AM »
Honda Insight with a manual transmission. I already have a car but I want something to take on long trip adventures that gets better than 25mpg. It probably will never pay itself back in saved fuel when you account for insurance and maintenance costs but it seems like a fun toy to have.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:45 AM »
Honda Insight with a manual transmission. I already have a car but I want something to take on long trip adventures that gets better than 25mpg. It probably will never pay itself back in saved fuel when you account for insurance and maintenance costs but it seems like a fun toy to have.

If you want fun, get a cheap s2000

If you want neo-environmentalist get an Insight/Prius

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: December 14, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »

The first gen Insights are really cool.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »

My degree is an associate in Electric Power Engineering Technology, so yes, fun, just not everyone's idea of it. I like that it can go over 500 miles on a tank very easily and that the inside can be modded out to fit a bed even though it's so tiny. I like the idea of being able to venture off into the great unknown without having to worry about where fuel stations are or how much the trip will cost me.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
Oh man, totally lusting after an AirDog self-tracking aerial drone (www.airdog.com) for a backcountry ski trip to Iceland this spring!  But it's $1600!!!  But damn, I was really close to buying this thing . . .  However, saw many reviews online that said the company's customer service is abysmal/non-existent.  So I went to their Facebook page, which said they usually respond to inquiries within 1 day, and I sent them an inquiry, basically saying "hey I REALLY want to buy your product but have concerns about these reviews, please convince me they're wrong" . . . and have heard NOTHING from them since I sent it 3 weeks ago!!  So much for that purchase.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »
Contemplating replacing many of my light switches with "smart home" light switches that can be turned on/off/dimmed via my computer, smart phone, or voice with Google Home. 

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »
When doing that look into backlit switches too. I love having them at the roommates house. You don't even have to turn on lights to know where you are in the house in very dark conditions and if you need to turn on a light just look for the one that's lit and those are interior switches, non lit are exterior.

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2016, 03:09:56 PM »
Oh man, totally lusting after an AirDog self-tracking aerial drone (www.airdog.com) for a backcountry ski trip to Iceland this spring!  But it's $1600!!!  But damn, I was really close to buying this thing . . .  However, saw many reviews online that said the company's customer service is abysmal/non-existent.  So I went to their Facebook page, which said they usually respond to inquiries within 1 day, and I sent them an inquiry, basically saying "hey I REALLY want to buy your product but have concerns about these reviews, please convince me they're wrong" . . . and have heard NOTHING from them since I sent it 3 weeks ago!!  So much for that purchase.

I realize I'm being a pimple on the a$$ of Mustachianism here, but the DJI 3 Standard drone also has 'follow-me' mode and is a mere $400 (at both Target and Fry's in the USA).

Good luck!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2016, 06:21:30 AM »
Sadly, I have to add something to my list.

Every time I see a deal for one of these I have to remind myself that it's a stupid little toy and it probably wouldn't be used as much as I think it would be and that it'll just sit around and collect dust etc. etc. etc.  And yet when another deal shows up, man do I want it again.  $120 right now at Bed Bath & Beyond.

A Sphero BB-8 unit with the force control wrist band.  Man do I want one so badly.  Sad nerd.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2016, 07:14:51 AM »

I realize I'm being a pimple on the a$$ of Mustachianism here, but the DJI 3 Standard drone also has 'follow-me' mode and is a mere $400 (at both Target and Fry's in the USA).

Good luck!

Saw that, but in all the reviews I looked at, it doesn't come close to the true self-tracking function of the AirDog, and the AirDog is made specifically for "extreme" sports use, so it compacts nicely for carrying in or on a backpack.  The Lily is one that has promise, and it's "only" $1,000, but they haven't rolled out production yet.