Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288202 times)

Slinky

• Stubble
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
A $75 needlepoint pattern for a miniature oriental rug stitched on 40 count silk gauze. That's just the pattern - I'd also need to find and buy 40 count silk gauze (never worked on it before), an appropriate frame (I don't typically work on frames) and if I'm going to do this, I'm using silk thread (which costs way more than the $0.30 DMC floss). Plus, an appropriate needle, cause all mine are way too big I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm under the gun to get 6 coasters done for Christmas, plus I have the next project already picked out and materials acquired. But this is sooooo pretty!

FYI - Heaven and Earth Designs sells 40 count silk gauze. I've also heard that the holes on it are larger than comparable fabrics so your needles might be fine. Jo-ann's has a very cheap scroll frame and you can get dowels from home depot to make your own wider rods as I'm assuming it's a big piece. Give the Jo-ann's frame a light sanding and some howard's feed and wax or similar and it'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks, I'll look into them. Actually, for me the finished size is pretty small - I typically do pretty big pieces. I think it was between 10-12 inches on the long side, so a fixed frame should work. If I ever do this, I'll end up asking on the FB group where I found the website, since they have some people who do this.

Oh that is pretty small! I was thinking it would be bigger with a $75 price tag for the pattern. I do big pieces too, but I mostly get them from HAED these days and they only run $19. I usually buy them when they are on sale for half off of course.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
This necklace, it's only $5000. I have considered just buying it for myself several times, but it costs more than my car.

I bet you can get it done for much less by an artisanal goldsmith. Actually if you live in Montréal I have one to suggest.
(Yes forum, jewelry makes me happy and I won't apologize)

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »
And I got distracted and never actually said what my thing was. I am lusting after a fully loaded AVL A Series CompuDobby loom, 48", 40 harness with E Lift System. Base list price is $22,437.55, so fully loaded is...a lot. They seem to depreciate a lot like a car too.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »
HTC Vive VR Headset and controllers, GTX 1080. 

We all do have such great stupid wants don't we :)

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

My dream Porsche would be a 1990 911 convertible in black.

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/08/31/17/42/1990_porsche_911-pic-63567-640x480.jpeg

Much cheaper to buy than your newfangled Porsches.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Very californication, but I don't think they're cheaper than the new ones anymore...

Hah. Admittedly, I'd like the Hank Moody lifestyle to go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
A minivan!  Specifically a Honda Odyssey.  I love my Honda CRV but with 2 babies under 2 I can't carry a double stroller and groceries at the same time.

When I was visiting my family we rented a minivan (it was $2 more than the cheapest rental) and I just fell in love with all the space!  Being able to transport more than 2 adults plus the 2 kids was a total luxury!  It would be nice to not have yo take 2 cars when we go out when family visits ( 1-2 times a month).

The Honda Odyssey is awesome. We love ours, and we expect to have it forever. The automatic doors are great. The ability to haul is great. For such a big vehicle, the gas mileage is darn good. The handling is great (for a minivan).  If you do decide to take the plunge, you will regret nothing except the dollars. (I have to admit I sometimes wish we had spent the extra money for dual 8-way power memory seats, but it would have cost an extra 10% and included a navigation package that we really didn't need, so that was our mustachian sacrifice.  Not exactly mustachian, but better than nothing maybe....

Feefers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
Target is going to have a pretty good black friday doorbuster-- a Samsung 4K 60" TV for $700.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
Gee, and here I was going to post that I wanted a $500 Formica countertop for my kitchen.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
Target is going to have a pretty good black friday doorbuster-- a Samsung 4K 60" TV for $700.

Will it be a Smart TV?  Gotta love the Smart TV.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »

I hope it's curved.  Curvy is sexy.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »

I don't understand curved TVs. They reduce possible viewing angles and solve none of the problems curved theater projection screens do. One of the primary reasons for a curved theater screen is to fix pin cushion effects and those don't become an issue until distances and sizes greater than will be encountered at home. For TVs it's not even an issue for OLED or LCD tech because they don't use light to project an image like a DLP

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »

Let's hope it doesn't blow up - like the Samsung Galaxy :p

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2016, 03:49:08 AM »

I don't understand curved TVs. They reduce possible viewing angles and solve none of the problems curved theater projection screens do. One of the primary reasons for a curved theater screen is to fix pin cushion effects and those don't become an issue until distances and sizes greater than will be encountered at home. For TVs it's not even an issue for OLED or LCD tech because they don't use light to project an image like a DLP

Do they hang on the wall well? My TV is mounted on an angled wall I custom built for it. Not sure a curved screen would look 'correct'.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2016, 05:47:10 AM »
A minivan!  Specifically a Honda Odyssey.  I love my Honda CRV but with 2 babies under 2 I can't carry a double stroller and groceries at the same time.

When I was visiting my family we rented a minivan (it was $2 more than the cheapest rental) and I just fell in love with all the space!  Being able to transport more than 2 adults plus the 2 kids was a total luxury!  It would be nice to not have yo take 2 cars when we go out when family visits ( 1-2 times a month).

The Honda Odyssey is awesome. We love ours, and we expect to have it forever. The automatic doors are great. The ability to haul is great. For such a big vehicle, the gas mileage is darn good. The handling is great (for a minivan).  If you do decide to take the plunge, you will regret nothing except the dollars. (I have to admit I sometimes wish we had spent the extra money for dual 8-way power memory seats, but it would have cost an extra 10% and included a navigation package that we really didn't need, so that was our mustachian sacrifice.  Not exactly mustachian, but better than nothing maybe....

Don't say that!  Mr. D has given his ok for the van, so I'm the only one stopping us right now. 

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
A pressure cooker but I will not get one until something happens to my crockpot.

A pressure cooker is not the same as a crockpot.  In my opinion it is a necessity that can cook a meal in 20 minutes with no effort.  You can get a great one for under $100.  I use mine daily. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »

Don't say that!  Mr. D has given his ok for the van, so I'm the only one stopping us right now.

I have an 07 with 100k on the odo, touring edition, scooped it for cheap (12 when it blue booked for 16k).  Best car ever, will keep it running smoothly until it doesn't anymore.  I'm told to expect 250k without major work.  Do not regret!  Also, they look sexy (this coming from a car guy.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »

It feels good on ur sexy parts

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »
Quote from: MrsDinero on November 21, 2016, 07:53:17 PM

Heh.  I had a Honda Cr-V, then got an Odyssey once I had my second kid, and now that my kids are older, I am back to a CR-V.  The Ody does handle surprisingly well and the doors were awesome for car seats.  Both cars are really solid choices. 

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
A Replacement Ipod classic with a 512GB internal drive...I miss my old one so and the Shuffle only holds 2 gigs...

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
A new CPU and MB.  How geektastic!

Hoping the Zen hype is real.  Sick of Intel monopoly.

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
My item is a projector. I've been looking at these for years and my TV broke last year. I put this off for a good while longer. Now that fall is here and I'm spending more time indoors again I just ordered a 100" screen. This seems squarely in the realm of the mustachian since MMM claims to have (had?) an 11 foot screen which is a good deal larger. Now I just need to decide on the particular projector model to order. In the meantime I can install the screen when it arrives. Movies and games are my luxury items.

Quite un-Mustachian of me, but I've done my homework on this topic and this is a clear winner:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

On sale + no sales tax if you live outside of Florida - good luck!!

Whats this sales tax you speak of? Here in Oregon...no sales tax ever...but there is a 9% income tax which hurts a lot more.

Heh.  I'm in San Diego - we get both Sales Tax (9%) and State Income Tax (9.3% over 103k married filing jointly) here.

Then again, it will be 80' and not a cloud to be found tomorrow for Thanksgiving.
That sunshine ain't free but it sure is worth it sometimes!!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
A steam mop, currently, after months of unfulfilled Roomba lust. There's nothing wrong with the cheap, traditional broom and mop and budget vacuum that we currently clean with, but I traffic in bizarre fantasies that my life could be immeasurably improved by performing these tasks more efficiently.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »

I don't really regret the dollars. It has been a great purchase. I think that the Honda Odyssey is one of the best auto value buys out there. For what you pay vs. what you get (size, mileage, handling, trim level, quality, reliability, longevity), it's a fantastic buy.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
My item is a projector. I've been looking at these for years and my TV broke last year. I put this off for a good while longer. Now that fall is here and I'm spending more time indoors again I just ordered a 100" screen. This seems squarely in the realm of the mustachian since MMM claims to have (had?) an 11 foot screen which is a good deal larger. Now I just need to decide on the particular projector model to order. In the meantime I can install the screen when it arrives. Movies and games are my luxury items.

Quite un-Mustachian of me, but I've done my homework on this topic and this is a clear winner:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

On sale + no sales tax if you live outside of Florida - good luck!!

Whats this sales tax you speak of? Here in Oregon...no sales tax ever...but there is a 9% income tax which hurts a lot more.

Heh.  I'm in San Diego - we get both Sales Tax (9%) and State Income Tax (9.3% over 103k married filing jointly) here.

Then again, it will be 80' and not a cloud to be found tomorrow for Thanksgiving.
That sunshine ain't free but it sure is worth it sometimes!!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!
Oregon's 9% over 8400. Yes 8 thousand 400. 9.9 over 125k. Sales tax is better for mustachioed because you can invest and compound your money until you spend it. California's taxes are generally pretty high though. They suck as well

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
For me it's an electric car. Probably the Nissan Leaf over some of the others out there, but I'm waiting to see if the range increases in the next year's model...

...Oh yea, that, and I have a perfectly fine ~10 year old car.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2016, 05:27:55 AM »

Had our Odyssey for about 7 years and sold it 2 years ago when I thought we should have a big honking SUV.  It was an awesome van that held 8 people and tons of stuff when we went on vacation and never had any mechanical issues.  Wish I had found MMM before I bought the clown car because we'd still have that van. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:43 AM »
As for TVs, I've bought 3 brand new TVs in my lifetime, a 35/36" CRT for ~$600 in ~2000ish, a 47" LCD for ~$1400 in 2008ish and a 55" LED for ~$1600 in 2014ish. Not very Mustachian. I feel like the next upgrade has to be like 65-70" 4K for < $800 (maybe $1000???!) but it's wholly stupid and unnecessary.

I thought that too... then I bought my 65". I'll take facepunches every single day with a smile.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »
More shelves for garage.

I have a thing about storage. I love it and I totally buy into those container store adverts with pretty boxes. So I buy shelves and then to keep myself from filling them up, sometimes I buy extra boxes to put in the empty spaces.

Right now, my garage is not organized efficiently, so I think I need more shelves, but I already have shelves with nothing but empty boxes (nested and stacked) on them. I could probably accomplish the same thing by getting rid of stuff, but I feel like I need to see everything on new shelves first before I decide what I can get rid of! 

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
Speaking of TVs, I've suddenly decided I want a new one. I've got a 42" plasma I've had for 9 or so years. But one, I've noticed it seems so tiny these days and two, I have noticed some burn in on the screen. I don't see it when I'm watching a program, only at menu screens. I guess, if I'm going to get one, this would be the time. But maybe I'm just being a whiny complaineypants. When I bought it, 42" seemed huge. And the screen problem doesn't actually cause a noticeable problem when watching. Someone face punch me now.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »
Speaking of TVs, I've suddenly decided I want a new one. I've got a 42" plasma I've had for 9 or so years. But one, I've noticed it seems so tiny these days and two, I have noticed some burn in on the screen. I don't see it when I'm watching a program, only at menu screens. I guess, if I'm going to get one, this would be the time. But maybe I'm just being a whiny complaineypants. When I bought it, 42" seemed huge. And the screen problem doesn't actually cause a noticeable problem when watching. Someone face punch me now.

I would just hold out.  The cost of new TVs is pretty low so it's not like splurging on Black Friday will be that great of a deal if your TV can't make it another year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ivRj0wa_opc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Had our Odyssey for about 7 years and sold it 2 years ago when I thought we should have a big honking SUV.  It was an awesome van that held 8 people and tons of stuff when we went on vacation and never had any mechanical issues.  Wish I had found MMM before I bought the clown car because we'd still have that van. 

Looks at your username - what's the fast car you own? 
Or was this your Odyssey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRj0wa_opc

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
I thought that too... then I bought my 65". I'll take facepunches every single day with a smile.

Hook up the computer to the TV so my fist will be even that much larger.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
My husband wants a new TV.

It irks me that almost everyone who has visited our new place or seen photos, including in-laws, extended family, friends, and his work colleagues, have immediately commented, "You need a bigger TV."

Our 32" screen is seven years old. It will die eventually, then we'll shop.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
A steam mop, currently, after months of unfulfilled Roomba lust. There's nothing wrong with the cheap, traditional broom and mop and budget vacuum that we currently clean with, but I traffic in bizarre fantasies that my life could be immeasurably improved by performing these tasks more efficiently.

Totally with you on all of this. The Roomba/steam mop lust and the bizarre fantasies of a magically altered me that loves cleaning the floor because of amazing new equipment.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
A second hand breadmaker machine. But my DH does not agree and says he prefers the taste of bakery bread to home made bread (without the machine).
Compromise: when we are visiting his father's house around christmas, we should try out the machine his father own to form our own opinion. If OK we might get that particular machine thatvis not in use anymore. Or I'll buy a second hand.

MikeMoeJackB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2016, 11:58:49 AM »
NRS OTTER 140 Self-bailing raft currently living on my amazon wish list at $4,025.

I have an outdoor gear/experiences addiction. But when you live/work at Yosemite what else do you think about?

Eedad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
An Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator to make snacks/food for backpacking trips.  I'd have to make a lot to justify the cost though.

Happy in CA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
A Salsa Warbird carbon Ultegra with Di2 upgrade.  Red with orange accents.  I will carry it on my kuat trailer behind my Prius as I travel the USA.  One bike that can go just about wherever I go - asphalt, gravel, fire road, rail trail, pretty much anything but singletrack.  Costs about $5000 but I have a milestone birthday coming up and I've been a very good girl this year.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »

It irks me that almost everyone who has visited our new place or seen photos, including in-laws, extended family, friends, and his work colleagues, have immediately commented, "You need a bigger TV."

How many hours a year does your TV get used? It's likely cheap entertainment per hour over 7 years if you keep a bigger one as long as you kept this one. Give the 32 to a college student. A lot of shows really do benefit from a larger screen where you can notice the details. If it's just on in the background with nobody watching then yeah...keep the 32

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2016, 07:21:10 PM »

How many hours a year does your TV get used? It's likely cheap entertainment per hour over 7 years if you keep a bigger one as long as you kept this one. Give the 32 to a college student. A lot of shows really do benefit from a larger screen where you can notice the details. If it's just on in the background with nobody watching then yeah...keep the 32

Am I on the wrong forum? :D

We can afford a new TV, and if he just came home with it, I'd probably be fine.

But for me, our "small" TV is a symbol of our choices and our lifestyle.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »

TV size is bullshit.  I have a 12 inch laptop screen that takes up more of my vision than my 65 inch TV because my sofa is REALLY far away from the TV.  If you want a bigger TV, just move closer to the TV

BetweenSips

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »
Baby rompers.

They are ridiculously cute and only $8 on Amazon, but I already have plenty of clothes to get me through the next year due to this being my second baby.

But oh glob are they cute!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2016, 02:14:04 AM »
An Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator to make snacks/food for backpacking trips.  I'd have to make a lot to justify the cost though.

We have this outrageous big machine. I can say that it works very well, although it adds an extra energy user to your household.
We go a lot on outdoor trips and need dried food. It is cheaper to make it yourself and also nicer to make your own recipies. I also pick mushrooms that I dry in it.

You doe not need to buy the Excalibur sheets. You will need some kind of sheet, but we were able to find some at a much cheaper store. Not exactly the right size, but with sizzers it comes closer. Paper baking sheet can also be used for e.g. drying tomato saus.

Eedad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2016, 04:34:16 AM »
I really want it for making stew and such for the trail/camping.  I have my round nesco, but man these look so nice.  I have considered building a solar dehydrator as a fun project for summer, and to teach the kids about it.  But 9 trays would make fruit/veggie sales that much better.

I like the idea of knowing what's going into our trail food too.  Every once in awhile one will pop up on Craigslist, I should of grabbed the last one.

We have this outrageous big machine. I can say that it works very well, although it adds an extra energy user to your household.
We go a lot on outdoor trips and need dried food. It is cheaper to make it yourself and also nicer to make your own recipies. I also pick mushrooms that I dry in it.

You doe not need to buy the Excalibur sheets. You will need some kind of sheet, but we were able to find some at a much cheaper store. Not exactly the right size, but with sizzers it comes closer. Paper baking sheet can also be used for e.g. drying tomato saus.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »

We have a 55" 3D TV simply because it makes DH happy. If it were just me, I would not have a TV. I can watch anything I need to see on my iPad. But DH loves to sit with me on a Saturday night and watch a movie on the big screen. So I have compromised. We save $ in a thousand other ways.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2016, 08:08:32 AM »

Rude, and very constructive.  Thanks for implying you have the right to judge my choices.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

Rude, and very constructive.  Thanks for implying you have the right to judge my choices.

That's what we do here!

I'm surprised no one has answered the question with,
"that 18 year old down the road!"  :-)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »

I'm confused, but keeping it light.  I think we are asking for facepunches (reality checks).  Personally I wouldn't be surprised when I receive one, smile on my face from the diagonal on my TV notwithstanding.  Speaking of, need some for the 75" Sony XBR on the way...as a business expense.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
I really want it for making stew and such for the trail/camping.  I have my round nesco, but man these look so nice.  I have considered building a solar dehydrator as a fun project for summer, and to teach the kids about it.  But 9 trays would make fruit/veggie sales that much better.

Eedad, do you have a side business selling dried fruits and vegetables? Sounds like an interesting side-gig.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
New stupid thing: new house numbers. My neighbors got new house numbers when their siding was redone, and they look SO GOOD. Ugh. At some point I'll just take mine down and repaint them to scratch that itch...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!