Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288145 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2016, 07:40:03 PM »
New appliances. Black Friday sales, why are you so tempting?

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »
New surfboard; CI added a new Tuflite model that id like to add to the quiver.  I've got 7 boards already though and they're getting harder to hide from the wife so this might not happen...

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2016, 09:50:56 PM »
I really want to buy two (not one, but two!) high resolution 25 inch computer monitors (~$300 each, maybe cheaper during black friday?). I could deduct them as expenses and erase some of my self employment income this year?!
Man, you NEED at least 27s. 25s are for plebs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:01:03 PM by pdxmonkey »

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
$40 pineapple doormat. I'll probably buy it if it goes on sale after Christmas.

Also a $5k sofa which I may eventually buy as I've been looking at the same one for more than 5 years now and still want it. It goes on sale at least once a year for 50% off so maybe next sale (I have been telling myself this for years haha).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
I am also lusting after at Porsche 911 Turbo S. If I could afford that, I could also afford to quit my job and escape the ninth circle of Satan's shite-pile in Hell (I refer of course to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

Upon my exit from the HELL A area, I would put the hammer on that thing down so hard, the earth would probably fly out of its orbit from the centrifugal force of everone's head spinning in the same direction.

We had one for a couple of days last week (perks of my husband's job).

This Porsche is my dream car and it's a mere $200,000+ depending on options.  It is what I have lusted after for years (and it doesn't even have a radio or power windows).  Alas, I'll probably never own it but I can dream.   

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2016-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

The GT3 RS makes a lot less sense practically, but a lot more sense financially.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2016, 03:30:50 AM »
$40 pineapple doormat. I'll probably buy it if it goes on sale after Christmas.

Also a $5k sofa which I may eventually buy as I've been looking at the same one for more than 5 years now and still want it. It goes on sale at least once a year for 50% off so maybe next sale (I have been telling myself this for years haha).

Ha. I figure if I still want something that badly after a few years, it's time to get it.  I'm sure it'll be even more enjoyable then you imagine!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2016, 05:02:02 AM »

The GT3 RS makes a lot less sense practically, but a lot more sense financially.

Add that to the list as well for me LOL!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2016, 05:33:17 AM »
My dream Porsche would be a 1990 911 convertible in black.

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/08/31/17/42/1990_porsche_911-pic-63567-640x480.jpeg

Much cheaper to buy than your newfangled Porsches.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »
Katy Perry. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »
Treadmill.
So I can watch Netflix while I'm running.
And because . . . well, I got a lot of reasons
If you watch, you can get treadmills for free, for the hauling.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
I really want to buy two (not one, but two!) high resolution 25 inch computer monitors (~$300 each, maybe cheaper during black friday?). I could deduct them as expenses and erase some of my self employment income this year?!

But right now all I have are two 20" 1680x1050, so 25" will still seem huge ;)

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
http://www.hobiefishing.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I have wanted this for years and it just keeps getting better tech wise and accessory wise. It would create a big problem in that I don't have the vehicle to transport it or the space to store it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »
A folding Kayak and a higher end Mountain bike.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »
I'm not lusting after anything right now.
There are a few things that I want and may or may not get, but it's not lust for sure.

1. New couch.  Current couch is broken and is/was uncomfortable to begin with. I will probably be buying new couch during Christmas sales.  It's not lust.  It's a want.

2. New purse.  I am a purse snob.  My current every day Coach purse is dead.  It looks horrible.  It's old.  And I am actually embraced to carry it around. But it extremely comfortable and is just right in terms of size and features/design.  I tried to replace it with cheap under $50 purse, but I hate the feel of cheap purses.  They feel wrong to the touch.  On top of that I haven't seen the style that I would love enough to get right now.  I even looked at Coach again, but they don't have a style I like in their current collection.  In any case, in a choice between spending $750 on new purse or $800 on new couch, I'll buy a couch.

3. Christmas decorations.  I am left with no decorations after the divorce.  So I am starting from scratch.  I bought a set of 6 ornaments for $22 a box last year.  No regrets.  Absolutely love them. Fell in love with them at first sight.  I wanted to get another few awesome unique decorations this year, but so far I haven't see anything that I love.  So if I may or may not get some more ornaments.  I will get some light strings and probably make popcorn strings with my kids and we'll decorate our mid-size fake tree.  And we'll be perfectly fine.

For the purse, if you don't mind gently used, eBay is a gold mine of used Coach purses, many under $100. Search for 'vintage Coach' and find such goodies as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-Black-Leather-Station-Bag-5130-Cross-Body-shoulder-bag-/222316248676?hash=item33c314be64:g:wOwAAOSw4GVYK7yY

It's not stupid to buy a Coach. But it is stupid to spend several hundred dollars on one.

Also, Fossil has some very nice leather bags you can find on eBay for well under a hundred. They don't feel cheap at all. I'm thinking about getting one like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOSSIL-Karli-Hobo-Womens-Shoulder-Handbag-Mineral-Gray-Leather-Large-Msrp-248-/172364134234?hash=item2821b3f75a:g:ADgAAOSwNRdX9DGg

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2016, 12:27:47 PM »
Lady Gaga's pink cowboy hat, custom made @ $680 each. (Yes, I actually looked it up.)

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 -- Starting at $440K
http://www.fountainepajot.com.au/sail-range/helia-44-evolution/

or

Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 -- Starting at $300K
http://www.fountainepajot.com.au/sail-range/new-40/

This would end up being my "home" and would be traveling the world with the family. So it would get full use out of it.

missj

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2016, 03:26:53 PM »
a plug in hybrid minivan.  but since they start at $35,000 probably not gonna happen.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
An extra room on my house.  It would give me a lovely large sunny room with plenty of bookshelves, a view of the sea, a woodstove, an en suite with underfloor heating for the shower, and a sun terrace outside the folding doors.  It would connect the house with the garden (currently on very different levels).  I've got the planning permission, I've got the money, I've got a builder lined up for next year.  But it is absolutely a want not a need, it is expensive (access issues) and it would be much more sensible to move a septic tank and build a garage.  So, stupid.  Which doesn't stop me dreaming of it. 

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »
A Dyson hairdryer,my mornings would run so much smoother. I'm sure I could call it an investment in design.

I just check it out, 'cause I have extra long hair that takes forever to dry, and holy shit is that thinghy expensive! What makes it $500 special?!

Feels light in your hand
turns off quicker than others
my hair drying time has been cut from 30 seconds to about 20 seconds. 
looks cool

Those are all I can think of so unless those equate to $80 each, just get a normal blow dryer haha

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »
A bigger garage.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2016, 05:06:57 PM »
The Flatev Artisan Tortilla Maker.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

They had me at dough pod. Also at cinnamon sugar tortillas.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »

Haha, just the opposite...they lost me at a dough pod that only make ONE tortilla. Even one person typically uses more than one tortilla. And then I've got to go out and procure pods? I can't just pour some flour and water into it and have it go to town? That'd be a pretty sweet device. Pour flour and whatever in one compartment, water in the other and watch it make up tortillas. Maybe oil in a 3rd compartment? I don't make tortillas. I assume there's a few dry ingredients, water + oil or the like.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

Haha, just the opposite...they lost me at a dough pod that only make ONE tortilla. Even one person typically uses more than one tortilla. And then I've got to go out and procure pods? I can't just pour some flour and water into it and have it go to town? That'd be a pretty sweet device. Pour flour and whatever in one compartment, water in the other and watch it make up tortillas. Maybe oil in a 3rd compartment? I don't make tortillas. I assume there's a few dry ingredients, water + oil or the like.

The per-pod price is ridic.  At those prices, they should give you the machine for free and DRM their dough.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »
My item is a projector. I've been looking at these for years and my TV broke last year. I put this off for a good while longer. Now that fall is here and I'm spending more time indoors again I just ordered a 100" screen. This seems squarely in the realm of the mustachian since MMM claims to have (had?) an 11 foot screen which is a good deal larger. Now I just need to decide on the particular projector model to order. In the meantime I can install the screen when it arrives. Movies and games are my luxury items.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »
There is no ONE stupidest thing. Just see my Amazon "save for later" items. Or these:

Christ Craft or similar https://buy.antiqueboat.com/runabouts/vintage wooden boat. I don't even have a place to boat with it.

23 window VW camper ~$50-70k

Var Atomic Truing stand. If I could ever find one, probably abotu $1000 http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/wrench_images/VarAtomicTruingJig_lg.jpg
Does both bicycle and motorcycle tires. Not made anymore. Maybe someday at a garage sale? In France?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »

Psh, dual 27s and a ~32" 1080 monitor on the wall.*

*Paid for by my employer

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
My item is a projector. I've been looking at these for years and my TV broke last year. I put this off for a good while longer. Now that fall is here and I'm spending more time indoors again I just ordered a 100" screen. This seems squarely in the realm of the mustachian since MMM claims to have (had?) an 11 foot screen which is a good deal larger. Now I just need to decide on the particular projector model to order. In the meantime I can install the screen when it arrives. Movies and games are my luxury items.

That actually reminds me I have a giant screen I need to sell.  I guess I won't get much for it... I like to keep the old projector around for Halloween effects

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
There is no ONE stupidest thing. Just see my Amazon "save for later" items. Or these:

Christ Craft or similar https://buy.antiqueboat.com/runabouts/vintage wooden boat. I don't even have a place to boat with it.

23 window VW camper ~$50-70k

Var Atomic Truing stand. If I could ever find one, probably abotu $1000 http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/wrench_images/VarAtomicTruingJig_lg.jpg
Does both bicycle and motorcycle tires. Not made anymore. Maybe someday at a garage sale? In France?

Ahh. I remember when i had lists like this.

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »

Quite un-Mustachian of me, but I've done my homework on this topic and this is a clear winner:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

On sale + no sales tax if you live outside of Florida - good luck!!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
The houses in Princeton, NJ. I do a lot of Zillow surfing and I absolutely love the super modern, deep in the woods style of these houses. They are expensive as fuck all, and the property taxes are enormous. But man do I like looking at the pictures!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144-Drakes-Corner-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009642_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Parkside-Dr-Princeton-NJ-08540/39013598_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-Herrontown-Ln-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009549_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/347-Mount-Lucas-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39010742_zpid/

I gotsta tell you  144 drakes corner road looks cold AF.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
My dream Porsche would be a 1990 911 convertible in black.

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/08/31/17/42/1990_porsche_911-pic-63567-640x480.jpeg

Much cheaper to buy than your newfangled Porsches.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Very californication, but I don't think they're cheaper than the new ones anymore...

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
Ok I'm replying to too many specific things on this thread.
Mine:
A brand-new (facepalm) 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTS-T with AWD, forest green.  I know, I know.  I'm trying to rationalize the AWD, and my real-estate side hustle, and driving it for 10 years, but...the number don't make sense.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
The houses in Princeton, NJ. I do a lot of Zillow surfing and I absolutely love the super modern, deep in the woods style of these houses. They are expensive as fuck all, and the property taxes are enormous. But man do I like looking at the pictures!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144-Drakes-Corner-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009642_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Parkside-Dr-Princeton-NJ-08540/39013598_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-Herrontown-Ln-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009549_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/347-Mount-Lucas-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39010742_zpid/

Hopefully it's tile/stone b/c radiant heat... usually tile is good for warm climates only

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »

Hopefully it's tile/stone b/c radiant heat... usually tile is good for warm climates only

Oh, I do not like that 144 Drakes Corner house one bit!  It looks so cold, kind of like a patio with a wooden and brick structure just plopped on top of it and a jail cell bathroom.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:40:32 PM by LeRainDrop »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
A minivan!  Specifically a Honda Odyssey.  I love my Honda CRV but with 2 babies under 2 I can't carry a double stroller and groceries at the same time.

When I was visiting my family we rented a minivan (it was $2 more than the cheapest rental) and I just fell in love with all the space!  Being able to transport more than 2 adults plus the 2 kids was a total luxury!  It would be nice to not have yo take 2 cars when we go out when family visits ( 1-2 times a month).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:55:06 PM by MrsDinero »

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »

Quite un-Mustachian of me, but I've done my homework on this topic and this is a clear winner:

Whats this sales tax you speak of? Here in Oregon...no sales tax ever...but there is a 9% income tax which hurts a lot more.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »

Whats this sales tax you speak of? Here in Oregon...no sales tax ever...but there is a 9% income tax which hurts a lot more.

Can you send me some things I've been lusting after?  You know, tax free

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »

Yes, but first please send the money for purchase + postage to my Nigerian bank account.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »
A certain person. They're not stupid, but my lust is.

To take the following out of context:
I won't do it, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2016, 12:02:26 AM »

Yes, but first please send the money for purchase + postage to my Nigerian bank account.

Sent

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
A certain person. They're not stupid, but my lust is.

To take the following out of context:
I won't do it, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

Story time.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2016, 09:45:41 AM »
A silk comforter, and a couple of sets of new sheets.
My duvet comforter feels too hot lately, and the sheets are old and dingy.
But it's all expenses I can postpone for years, and there is no point in having nice stuff with a baby in the house, so I'll wait until my youngest will be in school :-D

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
A 27" G-sync capable 144hz monitor, which would of course necessitate a video card I can only estimate would cost another $400 at least.

I've decided to hold off another year and see what they cost next season, because $700+ for a 27" screen is outrageous.

If this is anything like past purchases it will hopefully be another 10 years before I break down and get what I really want.

cobbb11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Gear S3. The ability to answer and have calls on your phone Dick Tracy style is just too irresistible. Plus my gear fit 2's battery is crapping out on me and the S3 still keeps the fitness features. I even pre-ordered it. But while waiting for it to ship and constantly checking the amazon page I noticed it dropped by $50 even though it is still listed as out of stock. Called Amazon and basically had to cancel my order and lose my place in line to re-order it at the lower price point. I'm grateful my little bit of mustachianism in this situation trumped my patience. Now i wait...

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Got another thing I want really bad. I play Magic the Gathering and really eyeing Emrakul the Promised End.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/eldritch-moon/emrakul-the-promised-end

The card tends to hover around the $20 range but that ability is too tempting to not use, especially with the Aether cards making it so easy it get out. I proxy right now and could pull out this baby by turn 4 (I'm playing Standard atm).

Also for my zombies I still have yet to grab the $40 Liliana, the Last Hope.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/eldritch-moon/liliana-the-last-hope

Argh! I wish I could just throw hundreds of dollars at Magic and not feel stupid. But alas, I can't so I wait until I can trade or win it via local tournaments. I get jealous of my friends sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:05:58 AM by EverCurious »

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »
New shoes, nice full grain leather boots only $80, Bond Axe II boots to be exact.

Bond makes excellent shoes, the pair I still wear, I have worn daily for about 5 years. They are getting tired and the insoles are wearing out, which are perforated leather I might add....

I really want these because they are so well build and last a long time, compared to some other cheaper shoes....

But in reality, I have other boots that I could wear, they just need to be cleaned up.... Arrgh

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
A red leather purse - it's $118 and I absolutely don't need it in any way shape or form.  I almost bought it at the store but resisted, but my brain won't let go of it. 

Sassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
This necklace, it's only $5000. I have considered just buying it for myself several times, but it costs more than my car.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!