Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288398 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »
I let people drive mine for free. I don't suppose you're anywhere near Alabama... xD
I may need to make a trip to Alabama...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
I really want to buy two (not one, but two!) high resolution 25 inch computer monitors (~$300 each, maybe cheaper during black friday?). I could deduct them as expenses and erase some of my self employment income this year?!
If you work (actual work) with photo/video stuff a lot I'd highly recommend pulling the trigger on those (or at least one)!  My GF is a photographer and got a 24in Dell 4K monitor last year and it's fantastic for what she does.  It's amazing how cheap they've gotten compared to where they were just a few years back.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
newer boat.  i have a perfectly good one that i bought affordably and works well and meets our needs with minor inconviences.  but a new one would eliminate some of those with some of the newer systems that are harder to install on my current boat.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
3. Christmas decorations.  I am left with no decorations after the divorce.  So I am starting from scratch.  I bought a set of 6 ornaments for $22 a box last year.  No regrets.  Absolutely love them. Fell in love with them at first sight.  I wanted to get another few awesome unique decorations this year, but so far I haven't see anything that I love.  So if I may or may not get some more ornaments.  I will get some light strings and probably make popcorn strings with my kids and we'll decorate our mid-size fake tree.  And we'll be perfectly fine.

Go right after Christmas. Massive discounts. Department stores, home improvement stores, wherever is selling Christmas stuff. I typically get stuff that's 80% or more discounted. But you have to move FAST to get decent selection, so go the day or 2 after.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
A $75 needlepoint pattern for a miniature oriental rug stitched on 40 count silk gauze. That's just the pattern - I'd also need to find and buy 40 count silk gauze (never worked on it before), an appropriate frame (I don't typically work on frames) and if I'm going to do this, I'm using silk thread (which costs way more than the $0.30 DMC floss). Plus, an appropriate needle, cause all mine are way too big I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm under the gun to get 6 coasters done for Christmas, plus I have the next project already picked out and materials acquired. But this is sooooo pretty!

FYI - Heaven and Earth Designs sells 40 count silk gauze. I've also heard that the holes on it are larger than comparable fabrics so your needles might be fine. Jo-ann's has a very cheap scroll frame and you can get dowels from home depot to make your own wider rods as I'm assuming it's a big piece. Give the Jo-ann's frame a light sanding and some howard's feed and wax or similar and it'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks, I'll look into them. Actually, for me the finished size is pretty small - I typically do pretty big pieces. I think it was between 10-12 inches on the long side, so a fixed frame should work. If I ever do this, I'll end up asking on the FB group where I found the website, since they have some people who do this.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
All of the tools...need moar tools

not sure that is stupid since they are practical...but the lust is strong nonetheless and i will own all of the tools one day, given enough time.

adwasy

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »
Going online on Black Friday and buying video games. Overwatch, Starcraft 2 LOTV, Dark Souls etc etc
I still have unfinished games from last Black Friday ....

I'm also wanting to upgrade my homebrew equipment but I wouldn't consider that quite as stupid albeit more expensive ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
I really want to buy two (not one, but two!) high resolution 25 inch computer monitors (~$300 each, maybe cheaper during black friday?). I could deduct them as expenses and erase some of my self employment income this year?!
If you work (actual work) with photo/video stuff a lot I'd highly recommend pulling the trigger on those (or at least one)!  My GF is a photographer and got a 24in Dell 4K monitor last year and it's fantastic for what she does.  It's amazing how cheap they've gotten compared to where they were just a few years back.

My employer bought my group Dell 43" 4k quad-input displays.  They're glorious and make life SO much easier.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »
Nice wood or faux-wood blinds throughout my house, to replace the perfectly serviceable but not nice looking cheap metal mini-blinds. I keep telling myself I already have blinds, and they work fine. But the nice ones would just make the house look a little more upscale and classy. They're even pretty cheap now at JC Penney, but I have a ten-room house, so it would add up. I feel silly for wanting them.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
A small boat!

After having a GW shark swim by my kayak this summer it's got me thinking about buying a 17ft Boston whaler. I probably won't buy another boat , been there done that. But I enjoy lusting over them on craigslist. :)

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
UN65KS8000 65" Samsung ks8000 4k tv.

Currently (on sale) through Samsung EPP program for ~$1079 - ~15% cash back (discover + perksatwork), ~$920 effective price.
mmmmmm so very tempting for such a glorious TV.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:59 PM »
Work gave me an old iPad for the occasional times I'd like to check email without having to fire up the laptop.  It weighs a ton and is pretty slow.  And I don't like IOS and am partial to Android.  After a day of using the iPad, I was online researching the latest, greatest and lightest Android tablets.

Mind you, I've never even owned a tablet--mainly because I figured it wasn't something I needed since I have laptops and a smartphone.  But here I am thinking of buying an expensive gadget to replace a FREE luxury item.  Am I wrong?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »

Currently (on sale) through Samsung EPP program for ~$1079 - ~15% cash back (discover + perksatwork), ~$920 effective price.

These days, I'd have a hard time spending that much on any TV that isn't OLED.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »

yeah i just picked up a 65" Samsung arguably best 1080p TV for 80 bucks using a slickdeal hack.  delivered and assembled for me.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2016, 12:53:40 PM »
I'd have to say that probably the stupidest thing I'm lusting over right now is a new front wheel on my mountain bike.  The one that's on there right now is a perfectly fine wheel and works just fine, but its a different brand than the rear, with different logos, colors, etc.  And like I said, it functions perfectly, it just really tickles my brain in a bad way.  I've resisted for over a year and a half now...I'm not sure how much longer I can last though.  A matching front is around $190...that's not so bad, right?

a 16 pound carbon fiber road bike.  About $5K for a new one.  Probably could get a used one for about $2500 with the components I would like.

I already have several bikes, all of which work fine but none of which are sub 20lbs :)

Go for one of the Cannondale aluminum bikes...My CAAD10 is just under 17 lbs.  It doesn't ride like a carbon bike, but jeez its freaking light, and the price is right. 

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
 A 32" curved HD computer monitor that won't fit my desk.   I've held strong on that one.

I caved on some high end nicely engineered cast iron cookware (kickstarter) funding just the US made 10.5" skillet.   The price is much higher than the skillets at Walmart but the quality and seasoning are works of art.   $270 for three skillet set,  spread over three generations not that expensive.

http://1554n.fnd.to/marquettecastings

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »

yeah i just picked up a 65" Samsung arguably best 1080p TV for 80 bucks using a slickdeal hack.  delivered and assembled for me.

Agreed about OLED, but that tech is still in the ~2500+ range ... !
Do tell more about this magnificent $80 deal :) or did you mean $800?

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
A 32" curved HD computer monitor that won't fit my desk.   I've held strong on that one.

I caved on some high end nicely engineered cast iron cookware (kickstarter) funding just the US made 10.5" skillet.   The price is much higher than the skillets at Walmart but the quality and seasoning are works of art.   $270 for three skillet set,  spread over three generations not that expensive.

http://1554n.fnd.to/marquettecastings
Yep, very nice skillets!

But I just can't imagine spending that much even as big of a cast iron fan that I am. Most of my collection I've bought at yard sales or even a few freebies from the metal pile at our landfill.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »
A fancy road bike - carbon fiber, disk brakes, all that jazz. (My current bike is in rough shape - I'll get a new one but not as fancy as I'd like no doubt).

Some sort of gps activity tracker thing for cycling, running, and swimming - preferably sized for a woman's wrist.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
I just thought of something big actually. In the middle of next year a development of apartments will be commencing pre-sales and the hole will be excavated in my suburb... it's not a town known for big apartment blocks but this will be a "relatively" big and controversial one.

I am already thinking of buying the penthouse off the plan and am having difficulty removing this thought from my mind.

Especially the current boom busts itself and it is then priced reasonably. I would be seriously chuffed to own the best apartment in the suburb with views stretching all across of greater Sydney.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:06 PM »
A framebuilding jig.

Apparently a local guy has one for sale, including a bunch of accessories, for $600.  They're stupidly expensive new.  I have done a bunch of braze-ons and TIG welded the main triangle of one custom frame before getting annoyed with some errors and tossing it, but I've never done a complete frame.

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
a 16 pound carbon fiber road bike.  About $5K for a new one.  Probably could get a used one for about $2500 with the components I would like.

I already have several bikes, all of which work fine but none of which are sub 20lbs :)

Same here. I have a commuter/gravel bike that serves me well. But I want a road bike for long weekend rides, epic climbs, group rides, etc.

Currently eyeing a 2016 Trek Madone. $4000 on sale. That's a lot of freaking money. About half as much as my car is worth!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure I asked the exact same question the first time I heard this.  Not sure if it's the same person, but I think part of the answer includes using credit card points or something, so not truly $80.  It was still a really good deal regardless.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »

This Porsche is my dream car and it's a mere $200,000+ depending on options.  It is what I have lusted after for years (and it doesn't even have a radio or power windows).  Alas, I'll probably never own it but I can dream.   

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2016-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
Carbon Fiber seatpost for my bike. 

My seatpost is bent and needs to be replaced, but I'll probably just fracture a carbon fiber version since I already bent a steel seat post.

Buy a Thomson Elite. You won't need another and they beautiful to boot.

munchabunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
Right now, a full resin-pouring rig (vacuum chamber, pump, molding clay or silicone, resin, etc.), or some sort of stupidly awesome computer monitor.  I had a BenQ as an old graduation present from my Dad, and it finally gave out.  My backup (free) monitor has funky colors and saturation, but spending $300 for a nice one seems so ridiculous!

Or maybe a really nice embroidery machine... but those can get up to $15k.  No way.

Wait, can I add an all wood floor?  My parents just got one and my husband laughed because I spent the whole time sliding around and dancing on their floor :).

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2016, 07:28:27 PM »
I am also lusting after at Porsche 911 Turbo S. If I could afford that, I could also afford to quit my job and escape the ninth circle of Satan's shite-pile in Hell (I refer of course to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

Upon my exit from the HELL A area, I would put the hammer on that thing down so hard, the earth would probably fly out of its orbit from the centrifugal force of everone's head spinning in the same direction.

Skyward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »
Canon 600mm f4 II lens. I'm guessing the lust drive is embedded deep in the stupid section of the brain but sometimes the stupid must have its say.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
Three things.  A new I-pad Pro, the 12.9 inch one that costs about $850.  Plantation shutters for all the windows in my house.  And lastly, someone to come in and clean once a week while I'm at work.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
I am also lusting after at Porsche 911 Turbo S. If I could afford that, I could also afford to quit my job and escape the ninth circle of Satan's shite-pile in Hell (I refer of course to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

Upon my exit from the HELL A area, I would put the hammer on that thing down so hard, the earth would probably fly out of its orbit from the centrifugal force of everone's head spinning in the same direction.

Edgy

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »

4k is $2500+, but 1080P OLED is much cheaper.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
just video games.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »
Early retirement.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »
A butler.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »
K, here's another one:

A 1971 Volvo P1800 in a junkyard.

csdreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2016, 12:14:13 AM »
PC games, Feral has ported some hot games to Linux.

A 1080 graphics card. I already have a good graphics card, but Nvidia brought a huge jump in this generation.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:30 AM »
A small boat!

After having a GW shark swim by my kayak this summer it's got me thinking about buying a 17ft Boston whaler. I probably won't buy another boat , been there done that. But I enjoy lusting over them on craigslist. :)

Arg. A few years ago when I first FIRED I sailed with some friends for the first time.  Ever since then I have wanted a sailboat.  Completely silly, and I often forget about my lust; but it's still there, waiting...

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »
A Dyson hairdryer,my mornings would run so much smoother. I'm sure I could call it an investment in design.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2016, 07:32:55 AM »
A Dyson hairdryer,my mornings would run so much smoother. I'm sure I could call it an investment in design.

I just check it out, 'cause I have extra long hair that takes forever to dry, and holy shit is that thinghy expensive! What makes it $500 special?!

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

We have a winner.  Maybe we can all chip in as a prize

Lol but it is so cute!

Pajamas: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Angelina-Unisex-Plush-Animal-Hooded-Onesies-Pajamas-Poop-Emoji/147922472

I suppose it's also BC my friends can buy all these things and I feel kinda left out not buying them. They even get the cute Pokemon slippers and a giant Magic the Gathering stained glass window decor. I get jealous I suppose. :P

Wanttobehome

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »

I just check it out, 'cause I have extra long hair that takes forever to dry, and holy shit is that thinghy expensive! What makes it $500 special?!

It's supersonic........

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
I really want my car windows tinting in a dark smoke/limo from the B pillar backwards. It's an estate and ,based on others doing the same, it looks fantastic.

But it's hard to justify spending £200 for something that:

a) Adds no resale value
b) Is purely for cosmetic purposes (on a vehicle nonetheless! How anti-mustachian)
I live in a hot area and my AC is much more effective (read: uses less energy) post-tint. It's probably a very low ROI, but it's non-zero. ;)

Never had tint on my windows over a 5 year period of ownership.  Really enjoyed the visibility and didn't see a need in Seattle or DC.

Moved to Arizona (Phoenix Metro).  Everytime we drove into the valley from the mountains or back from a California trip, I could just feel the oppressive heat slamming me in the face from the front windshield like a heavy punch in the face.  I started to believe I needed to get my A/C serviced...and then I went ahead and had the windows tinted (70% on front windshield, 35% on side windows, 20% on rear and back glass).  HUGE difference noticed immediately!!!

Plus, I now can drive around without the back trunk cover in my car as the tint makes it very difficult for someone to see if there is anything in the trunk area of my hatchback.  Sometimes it is nice to have that trunk lid removed, but not nice to show off to would be thieves if I happen to have something they want back there.

I do like the idea of it obscuring the view of what's in my car. I've taken out the retractable parcel shelf for fuel economy purposes because it weighs about 5kg and was an easy win which means that currently you can see if I keep anything in the boot.

Yours and zephyr's suggestions about claiming AC gains would be wonderful if I lived in sunnier climes and drove my car often during the summer months. Back in June I bought a 125cc motorbike and have been since using that to commute (on non-rainy days) so haven't used the car much. Before anyone says it first I realise I don't need both but it was only £300, it gets double the MPG of my car, and cuts my commute in half by virtue of skipping traffic. Plus it's good fun in summer. Not so much in autumn/winter but I'm persevering.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Stupidest thing?

New Volkswagen GTI with performance upgrade, and a stage 1+ ECU tuning upgrade. Total cost probably around 30k! It is a lot cheaper than what you would spend on an Audi with the same performance, 40-50k. Oh, and with the upgrades all new tires, new brakes, and fuel(premium) would cost more as well.

I won't do it, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

Current car: worth about 4k, no loan, no collision or comprehensive insurance(just liability), decent gas mileage(30 highway), and somewhat fun to drive.

Anytime I consider a new car I do math, and math tells me how much longer I would have to work as a result... and then my little car becomes the greatest car on Earth. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
1) A house w/ a 2-3 car garage
2) 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

Currently live in a rented apartment with street parking and drive a paid off 8 year old Japanese car.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Stupidest thing?

New Volkswagen GTI with performance upgrade, and a stage 1+ ECU tuning upgrade. Total cost probably around 30k! It is a lot cheaper than what you would spend on an Audi with the same performance, 40-50k. Oh, and with the upgrades all new tires, new brakes, and fuel(premium) would cost more as well.

Current car: worth about 4k, no loan, no collision or comprehensive insurance(just liability), decent gas mileage(30 highway), and somewhat fun to drive.

Anytime I consider a new car I do math, and math tells me how much longer I would have to work as a result... and then my little car becomes the greatest car on Earth. :)

Which Volkswagen?

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
I've been eying a lovely Edwardian diamond ring online. At $2.4k, it cost way more than all the jewelry I own combined, plus my emerald engagement ring usually stays in our fire safe while I wear a silicone wedding band. There's no way I could justify spending that kind of money on a sparkly piece of carbon and gold, but if I'd somehow found a winning lottery ticket on the sidewalk, I would have been tempted. Fortunately, it sold recently.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
Stupidest thing?

We actually ordered a new [2015] GTI in late 2014. When the car arrived in early 2015 the manufacturer price had risen, there were several dealer options added that we hadn't asked for, and there was a random marketing(?) fee. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think after negotiation they were still wanting at least $1k more than we had expected when we initially ordered the car. We walked.

I'm so glad we didn't buy that car. With our new work/living situation we wouldn't use it nearly enough.

skiddieleet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
The NES Classic Edition.  It's hard to get your hands on and I've just decided I'm going to use an emulator on my laptop for free.  I can get a $7 USB controller and it should be about as good as the real deal and 10% the price.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
The NES Classic Edition.  It's hard to get your hands on and I've just decided I'm going to use an emulator on my laptop for free.  I can get a $7 USB controller and it should be about as good as the real deal and 10% the price.

Yeah - the 1 meter cord length killed it for me. What the hell am I going to do with that?

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!