Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288451 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
For me it is a $370 Montegrappa rollerball pen made of copper. It is freaking gorgeous! Imagine the newest, shiniest copper penny you ever saw polished to insanity and made into a pen! It is a bit more reddish than a penny. (Don't look on Amazon--the photos are sh1te) I have a thing for the color orange, especially metallic orange, and was surprised to find out it is actually made of copper. Really, a work of art. BUTT, I just bought another watch (Doxa antimagnetique, handwound from the 1950s, absolutely stunning, MINT condition) and I should not go nuts on goodies, especially at this time of year. Yes, it's ridiculous to spend that much on a pen--especially since I have had a beautiful chrome $30 Shaeffer that has worked superbly for over 10 years. (I use blue ink--black is for proles!  )

I know the money would be much better spent going into one of my retirement accounts or other savings, but it is gnawing away at me!! (The store owner told me that if I came back, he would pay the tax.)

Nevertheless, I just paid off the last of our debts, have greatly increased 403b contributions, am building up a very nice emergency fund, and am thus tempted to splurge. (Facepunch me?)

What stupid, ridiculous luxury (or other) item are you lusting after??

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:33:35 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

englyn

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »
landscape oil paintings by local artist whose style I adore: $five hundred and something
I already have 2 of his and I'm out of walls anyway
but it's goooorgeous.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »
Oh man... price of copper is about $2.50 a pound... $370 to turn it into a Pen is... well I guess you can determine the value of that :)

I lust after Christmas decorations... End up buying the cheap stuff each year but, yeah... I go nuts for the sparkly stuff.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
Heh, price of steel is even less, yet the most expensive watch in history was just auctioned off recently--a steel Patek Philippe perpetual calendar/chronograph for $11M. In some watch collecting circles, steel is more valuable/fashionable than gold!

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
dji mavic pro.  Awesome quadcopter that can fit in a big jacket pocket and take beautiful video and photos. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:43 PM »
A trip to Cuba while I am not employed, not FIRE'ed, and almost out of cash.  Will need to sell some investments soon :-/

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »
I want a Cyr wheel. I've never tried one.. but I still want one.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
Im lusting over a Macbook Pro 2016 right now. Its is absurdly priced at $1499 which is why Im not getting one. I settled for a Window Lenovo 710s a few days ago at $599.
Long term I'm lusting over the current model Coevette. I know its a waste of money but I've been lusting over the current model for a while now.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:36 PM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 11:39:03 PM »
I've been trying to come up with something material for about 10 minutes now..... and I got nothing.

I have been lusting from some bubble tea and a doughnut.  I'm limiting my sugar intake and would kill for either one right now.

Oh yeah, reaching my FI number would be nice as well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:49:12 PM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

We have a winner.  Maybe we can all chip in as a prize

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 12:32:09 AM »
A Tesla Powerwall 2. Hugely expensive, not guaranteed a positive return on investment, but it's the right thing to do. I feel like we are wasting our solar-power by selling it to the grid at a huge discount.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 02:16:56 AM »
A dog.

Not as expensive as other wants on here, but not logistically possible with my life right now.

:(

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »
 A pressure cooker but I will not get one until something happens to my crockpot.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 07:20:21 AM »
Lagavulin 16 year old single malt whisky.

Just finished a bottle last month, a gift from a friend
received about 6 years ago.  Any luxury, twice sampled,
becomes a necessity. ;-)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »
Oh, I could write a different one every week.

Yesterday I went halfway to buy this https://timex.ca/node/82361 Timex watch, stopping halfway throu the transaction before remembering I have a perfectly fine watch I bought just a couple of years ago.

A few weeks ago it was a 30k $ Piaget watch, but that one I didn't even try, of course.
http://www.piaget.com/watches/platinum-ultra-thin-mechanical-watch-g0a40020

What can I say, I have a soft spot for watches...

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
A Litter Robot. Runs between $400-450.

Ain't happenin'.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 07:45:57 AM »
Treadmill.
So I can watch Netflix while I'm running.
And because . . . well, I got a lot of reasons

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
Treadmill.

That sounds pretty reasonable tho. I mean, you'll be watching Netflix anyway, you might as well use the time to exercise!

leif20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 07:52:51 AM »
I'm really wanting to buy a Ford mustang right now to drive around in the summer sun, and enjoy ear splitting engine roar and tire smoke.  Not a new one, one of the previous generations.  But I keep asking myself, would I rather just set $10000 on fire and watch that burn? Arguably safer than driving a mustang. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
My wif- wait, NM

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 08:05:30 AM »
A 200 EUR pasta maker.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
I'd love to get a bigass standup freezer to supplement our chest freezers, but we really don't get *that* much free venison...

My wif- wait, NM

Careful now!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 08:21:33 AM »
My wif- wait, NM

Careful now!

I believe that was the joke, Ketchup ;-)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
A $75 needlepoint pattern for a miniature oriental rug stitched on 40 count silk gauze. That's just the pattern - I'd also need to find and buy 40 count silk gauze (never worked on it before), an appropriate frame (I don't typically work on frames) and if I'm going to do this, I'm using silk thread (which costs way more than the $0.30 DMC floss). Plus, an appropriate needle, cause all mine are way too big I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm under the gun to get 6 coasters done for Christmas, plus I have the next project already picked out and materials acquired. But this is sooooo pretty!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
For me it is a $370 Montegrappa rollerball pen made of copper. It is freaking gorgeous! Imagine the newest, shiniest copper penny you ever saw polished to insanity and made into a pen! It is a bit more reddish than a penny. (Don't look on Amazon--the photos are sh1te) I have a thing for the color orange, especially metallic orange, and was surprised to find out it is actually made of copper. Really, a work of art. BUTT, I just bought another watch (Doxa antimagnetique, handwound from the 1950s, absolutely stunning, MINT condition) and I should not go nuts on goodies, especially at this time of year. Yes, it's ridiculous to spend that much on a pen--especially since I have had a beautiful chrome $30 Shaeffer that has worked superbly for over 10 years. (I use blue ink--black is for proles!  )

I know the money would be much better spent going into one of my retirement accounts or other savings, but it is gnawing away at me!! (The store owner told me that if I came back, he would pay the tax.)

Nevertheless, I just paid off the last of our debts, have greatly increased 403b contributions, am building up a very nice emergency fund, and am thus tempted to splurge. (Facepunch me?)

What stupid, ridiculous luxury (or other) item are you lusting after??

http://www.jetpens.com/Retro-51-Tornado-Vintage-Metalsmith-Rollerball-Pen-0.7-mm-Lincoln/pd/9512

Maybe this would be a better compromise? Or just get a $50 fountain pen. :)

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
Oh man. A few weeks ago, I indulged in some serious fantasizing about doing an all-inclusive, 4 month, round-the-world luxury cruise with my husband after we FIRE.  Estimated cost: at least $120K.  http://www.silversea.com/destinations/world-cruise/world-cruise-2018/

I know.  I know, I know, I know.

What finally shook my out of that reverie was the realization that that level of extravagance would a) probably ruin me as a person, and b) definitely put me in the express lane for hell, if it exists.  Also, I have never even been on a cruise! I'm not even sure I'd like it! And you can totally travel the world and have more meaningful experiences for way, way, way less money.

I refocused my fantasy travel energy on a family vacation to Acadia National Park this summer.  Much better!

BrokeNoMo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
A used Tesla... I know it doesn't make any financial sense but there is a P90 locally listed for $42k.

I've learned the last few years that if I go test ride/drive some of the stupid things it fully satisfies the craving. Maybe I should just rent a Tesla for a day and get it out of my system??

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
An uninterrupted 12-hour workday that still falls between 8am and 5pm.  I have that much on my plate and I'm not making any headway.  The fact that 12 hours of my work week is spent in meetings doesn't help.

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
dji mavic pro.  Awesome quadcopter that can fit in a big jacket pocket and take beautiful video and photos.

I am seriously looking at the DJI Osmo Mobile as I think it could fill a spot in my movie making hobby. My wife really wants one as well and she actually mentioned it first. At $299.00 it is not much of a stretch, but I already have a bunch of A/V gadgets that I thought would get more use but just sit in my closet. I'll have to keep an eye out for one on Craigslist.   

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
Used Tesla too or Buying a seasonal home down south in an income tax free state to escape winters and some taxes

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
The houses in Princeton, NJ. I do a lot of Zillow surfing and I absolutely love the super modern, deep in the woods style of these houses. They are expensive as fuck all, and the property taxes are enormous. But man do I like looking at the pictures!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/144-Drakes-Corner-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009642_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Parkside-Dr-Princeton-NJ-08540/39013598_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-Herrontown-Ln-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009549_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/347-Mount-Lucas-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39010742_zpid/

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
A used Tesla... I know it doesn't make any financial sense but there is a P90 locally listed for $42k.

I've learned the last few years that if I go test ride/drive some of the stupid things it fully satisfies the craving. Maybe I should just rent a Tesla for a day and get it out of my system??
I let people drive mine for free. I don't suppose you're anywhere near Alabama... xD

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
A trip to Thailand. Or Norway. Or Dubai.

A garnet ring for my mom for Christmas. She's gonna get it, but it's still pretty silly. She's 68 and has a lot of jewelry. But she's wanted one for years and the local jewelry shop has one for $160 so I'm splurging this year.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »
I'm not lusting after anything right now.
There are a few things that I want and may or may not get, but it's not lust for sure.

1. New couch.  Current couch is broken and is/was uncomfortable to begin with. I will probably be buying new couch during Christmas sales.  It's not lust.  It's a want.

2. New purse.  I am a purse snob.  My current every day Coach purse is dead.  It looks horrible.  It's old.  And I am actually embraced to carry it around. But it extremely comfortable and is just right in terms of size and features/design.  I tried to replace it with cheap under $50 purse, but I hate the feel of cheap purses.  They feel wrong to the touch.  On top of that I haven't seen the style that I would love enough to get right now.  I even looked at Coach again, but they don't have a style I like in their current collection.  In any case, in a choice between spending $750 on new purse or $800 on new couch, I'll buy a couch.

3. Christmas decorations.  I am left with no decorations after the divorce.  So I am starting from scratch.  I bought a set of 6 ornaments for $22 a box last year.  No regrets.  Absolutely love them. Fell in love with them at first sight.  I wanted to get another few awesome unique decorations this year, but so far I haven't see anything that I love.  So if I may or may not get some more ornaments.  I will get some light strings and probably make popcorn strings with my kids and we'll decorate our mid-size fake tree.  And we'll be perfectly fine. 

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
Treadmill.

I don't know about your area, but the free section of Craigslist in our area gets treadmills posted about every 2 weeks or so, just have to pick it up. It's the whole "don't want large object in house" issue.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
If I actually bought it and not exactly lusting after it, does it still count?

I got an 82% wool grey coat for $50, It was down from $90 :(

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
Stupid is relative, I guess....but I'm eyeing a 35mm f/1.8 lens for my camera ($448). I don't have any prime lenses and my last batch of low-light (blues dance) photography resulted in two acceptable shots. Oof.

And there's the $2800 offroad suspension I want for my 4x4......sigh.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
I really want my car windows tinting in a dark smoke/limo from the B pillar backwards. It's an estate and ,based on others doing the same, it looks fantastic.

But it's hard to justify spending £200 for something that:

a) Adds no resale value
b) Is purely for cosmetic purposes (on a vehicle nonetheless! How anti-mustachian)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
Treadmill.

I don't know about your area, but the free section of Craigslist in our area gets treadmills posted about every 2 weeks or so, just have to pick it up. It's the whole "don't want large object in house" issue.
Also a great source of giant heavy old CRT TVs and free pianos.

There's a reason though.  Don't underestimate the pain-in-the-ass factor of moving such a thing.  My dad bought a very expensive gym-grade fancy treadmill from a guy in an apartment for nearly nothing a few years back and enlisted me to help move it (rented a truck for the occasion), and we both vowed to never do that again if stairs are involved.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
Tesla as well - ever since I withdrew my $2500 down pre-payment on the first run of the Model S.  I suspect this lust will continue for some time.....I will not bore you with the rest of the things on my Lust List. 

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »
Art school.  I am considering starting the visual art certificate at the local university, it would take me about 5 years to finish, one night class a semester, so all in, tuition, books and supplies about $2k/year or $10K overall.  I would offset the costs by dropping all community classes that I typically take, and the university classes are tax deductible but the cost will still smart a little.  This falls firmly in the "want" list, not the "need" list.  I still intend to work for another 5 years before I can FIRE so I think of this as a sanity lifeline, which might justify putting it on the needs list. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
I really want my car windows tinting in a dark smoke/limo from the B pillar backwards. It's an estate and ,based on others doing the same, it looks fantastic.

But it's hard to justify spending £200 for something that:

a) Adds no resale value
b) Is purely for cosmetic purposes (on a vehicle nonetheless! How anti-mustachian)
I live in a hot area and my AC is much more effective (read: uses less energy) post-tint. It's probably a very low ROI, but it's non-zero. ;)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
Blue velvet couch and the accompanying labor to get cat hair off of it daily

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
I really want to buy two (not one, but two!) high resolution 25 inch computer monitors (~$300 each, maybe cheaper during black friday?). I could deduct them as expenses and erase some of my self employment income this year?!

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
A $75 needlepoint pattern for a miniature oriental rug stitched on 40 count silk gauze. That's just the pattern - I'd also need to find and buy 40 count silk gauze (never worked on it before), an appropriate frame (I don't typically work on frames) and if I'm going to do this, I'm using silk thread (which costs way more than the $0.30 DMC floss). Plus, an appropriate needle, cause all mine are way too big I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm under the gun to get 6 coasters done for Christmas, plus I have the next project already picked out and materials acquired. But this is sooooo pretty!

FYI - Heaven and Earth Designs sells 40 count silk gauze. I've also heard that the holes on it are larger than comparable fabrics so your needles might be fine. Jo-ann's has a very cheap scroll frame and you can get dowels from home depot to make your own wider rods as I'm assuming it's a big piece. Give the Jo-ann's frame a light sanding and some howard's feed and wax or similar and it'll be perfectly fine.

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
a 16 pound carbon fiber road bike.  About $5K for a new one.  Probably could get a used one for about $2500 with the components I would like.

I already have several bikes, all of which work fine but none of which are sub 20lbs :)

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »
I just bought a duplex printer but I didn't realize until after I bought it that for an extra 100$ I could have bought one with duplex copying also.  It is so bulky it wouldn't be worth the return.  Oh well...  I might get a private office in a while and then I could justify having one at home and one at the office.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
One of those slick Momaroo bouncer things I'm always drooling over at Target. I don't know what it is about those things that's so appealing to me. Maybe because every single baby thing we have is a hand-me-down or was new a couple of years ago but is now totally trashed.

When I look at the Momaroo bouncer I have this irrational thought--no baby would ever be able to stay awake in something that beautifully designed. It looks like a fluffy cloud of sleepy Harvey Karp white noise and swinging vibratory bliss.

Never mind that it wouldn't even fit in our 850 square foot condo. I want it. My husband doesn't even know I want it. I just sigh over it every time I visit Target, and keep right on going. We bought a Fischer Price bouncer on Craigslist for $10 last weekend. Not quite the same.

contra80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:05 AM »
I do some hobby woodworking and want to put in a dust collection system, all in about $2K. Im using a shopvac today, which doesnt come near to helping. It won't make me any money, but probably is better for my health! I'll probably do it, just waiting on black Friday sales.