Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1331655 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3900 on: October 27, 2022, 07:02:13 AM »
Probably the stupidest thing I'm lusting after right now is a Canada Goose parka.  Why is this stupid?  I live in the south.  It might get cold enough for a heavy coat 15 days a year.  I'm going out to Colorado to play in the snow for spring break in March, so I've been poking around Poshmark looking for cold weather gear and keep coming across these super nice, super expensive coats.  And I wants one.

Lol, even those of us who live where it gets to be -40F know that these aren't the best option for ultra cold weather.

No one needs a parka, they're seriously sub-optimal for cold weather, and mostly useful in the Arctic just for the convenience of having one layer when day in and day out is fucking cold.

But multiple layers are always a superior option for actual utility.
My system is a merino base later, a merino top layer, a fleece, a thick down layer, and then a very lightly lined wind/water proof top shell. I overheat in that in -40 if I walk too vigorously.

Meanwhile I've borrowed a Canada Goose and been cold unless I added layers underneath, and parkas are much harder to move in than layers.

My later system cost almost as much as a Canada Goose, but it means I have outwear for literally every weather event for the same price as one parka.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3901 on: October 27, 2022, 07:11:07 AM »
Probably the stupidest thing I'm lusting after right now is a Canada Goose parka.  Why is this stupid?  I live in the south.  It might get cold enough for a heavy coat 15 days a year.  I'm going out to Colorado to play in the snow for spring break in March, so I've been poking around Poshmark looking for cold weather gear and keep coming across these super nice, super expensive coats.  And I wants one.

Lol, even those of us who live where it gets to be -40F know that these aren't the best option for ultra cold weather.

No one needs a parka, they're seriously sub-optimal for cold weather, and mostly useful in the Arctic just for the convenience of having one layer when day in and day out is fucking cold.

My system is a merino base later, a merino top layer, a fleece, a thick down layer, and then a very lightly lined wind/water proof top shell. I overheat in that in -40 if I walk too vigorously.

Meanwhile I've borrowed a Canada Goose and been cold unless I added layers underneath, and parkas are much harder to move in than layers.

My later system cost almost as much as a Canada Goose, but it means I have outwear for literally every weather event for the same price as one parka.

Now, this is helpful information.  I have no idea what to look for.  According to Google Maps, my hotel is right next to a thrift store, so I might pack some layers and then check out the thrift store for anything else I need. 

I'm hoping that my kid realizes how nice it is to only get snow like twice a year and then to have it melt off in a couple of days. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3902 on: October 27, 2022, 07:31:18 AM »

Now, this is helpful information.  I have no idea what to look for.  According to Google Maps, my hotel is right next to a thrift store, so I might pack some layers and then check out the thrift store for anything else I need. 

I'm hoping that my kid realizes how nice it is to only get snow like twice a year and then to have it melt off in a couple of days.

Happy to help.

I've given my list of specific layers and where to buy them to many newcomers to Canada, and they end up wondering why so many people whine about the cold because a good layer system makes you indestructible.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3903 on: October 27, 2022, 08:06:59 AM »
I agree with Malcat.  Even when I lived deep in Northern Ontario and we had several months at a time where the thermometer would hit -40 very few people wore parkas.  Ski jackets are lighter, easier to move in, and usually have a removable liner.  They're just better outerwear to live with.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3904 on: October 27, 2022, 09:51:07 AM »
I agree with Malcat.  Even when I lived deep in Northern Ontario and we had several months at a time where the thermometer would hit -40 very few people wore parkas.  Ski jackets are lighter, easier to move in, and usually have a removable liner.  They're just better outerwear to live with.

I agree with Malcat and GuitarStv, but wanted to chime in and say, be sure not to neglect the layers for your lower body, as well. I think a lot of people believe they need parkas because they only wear one layer of pants and they therefore get cold and assume it's because they don't have a thick enough coat.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3905 on: October 27, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »

I agree with Malcat and GuitarStv, but wanted to chime in and say, be sure not to neglect the layers for your lower body, as well. I think a lot of people believe they need parkas because they only wear one layer of pants and they therefore get cold and assume it's because they don't have a thick enough coat.

+1

All you southerners and your underwear without legs.  :P

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3906 on: October 27, 2022, 10:14:34 AM »

It's also silly because you'd be paying about $1,400 for that hideous patch that lets other people know you spent way too much on a coat. $1700 for Canada Goose's Parka vs. $300 for LL Bean's Parka. Canada Goose coats are pretty popular among young Chicago professionals who are dressing to impress, but it seems their money would be better spent on a status symbol that can be used year round.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #3907 on: October 27, 2022, 10:52:45 AM »
All you southerners and your underwear without legs.  :P

+1
DW got frostbite on the inside of her legs last winter walking around Barrow because she had a great coat but only one layer on her legs.

Also I was shocked by the number of people wearing Canadian Goose parkas in South Carolina when I was down there in December 2018. Sunny and 65 degrees is like a nice summer evening temp right? Nice for hiking, a little cool for water skiing?

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #3908 on: October 27, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
I was shocked by the number of people wearing Canadian Goose parkas in South Carolina when I was down there in December 2018. Sunny and 65 degrees is like a nice summer evening temp right? Nice for hiking, a little cool for water skiing?

Well it's right there in the name, which screams (honks?) "Silly Goose".

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3909 on: October 27, 2022, 11:25:28 AM »
If you want to get spendy on outerwear, northern MN is home to a ton of smallish shops making cool stuff. 

Wintergreen Northern Wear
Empire Wool and Canvas
Aerostich 

If I need to stay warm, I'm definitely trusting somebody from northern MN to make the clothing. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:27:59 AM by Askel »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3910 on: October 27, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »

And don't forget your feet and ankles.  I love my wool socks and merino felt insoles. I find too many layers that make boots tight are actually colder than when my feet are less constricted.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3911 on: October 27, 2022, 12:42:12 PM »

And don't forget your feet and ankles.  I love my wool socks and merino felt insoles. I find too many layers that make boots tight are actually colder than when my feet are less constricted.

You always buy real winter boots a size or two too large for extra sock layer room.  Tight boots will make your feet cold no matter how warm they are because they restrict circulation.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3912 on: October 27, 2022, 01:24:34 PM »
Winter dressing - boots a bit big to make room for good all-wool socks.  Pants a bit loose to make room for long johns thermal underwear underneath.  Layers on top.  I like a car coat length better than a ski jacket because it is a bit longer and protects my hips without interfering with walking.  The best thing about a parka is the hood, it can really be warm for your head.  Just interferes with visibility a bit sometimes.

Don't forget head and hands - mittens are warmer than gloves.  If you need to use your fingers have a lightweight pair of gloves and a pair of mittens over them.  Then you take off a mitten while you use your fingers, and then put the mittens back on.

Once upon a time I had a lovely merino camisole from Marks and Spencer.  It was so sheer and yet so warm.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3913 on: October 27, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »
Trust all the Canadians to weigh in on cold climate clothes, lol.

We're so fucking predictable.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #3914 on: October 27, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »
You always buy real winter boots a size or two too large for extra sock layer room.  Tight boots will make your feet cold no matter how warm they are because they restrict circulation.

I'm shopping for new hiking boots as I've decided that athletic shoes are not the best as I age.  I noticed that several of the boots had big "Extra-wide" labels on them.  I just realized that they are extra wide to fit the extra layers in cold weather.  As I live where there are some years that it doesn't go below freezing, I never thought about it.   Also, does anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced hiking boots?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3915 on: October 27, 2022, 02:08:22 PM »

I appreciate all the advice.  I hate cold.  This was the kid's idea.  I plan on spending like 2 days playing in the snow and then catching the train to San Francisco. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3916 on: October 27, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »
Bridgeport milling machine (used but with no wear) plus ALL the tooling..:)

Tormach CNC mill for me. I have access to these tools at work but I can't exactly start doing the big projects I'd like to b/c of the run times and other reasons.

I've worked in manufacturing my entire adult life have been around machining for close to 15 years now so maybe I'm jaded, but the biggest thing I think of when I think of a mill is the damn chips EVERYWHERE.  They also always seem to need repair, but maybe that's more of a manufacturing thing where machines run 24 hours a day. 

I think the ability to make things out of metal would be cool, but my pipe dream is to have access to it at someone else's facility where they maintain and clean up the machine after I use it.  Then again, there's a lot of stuff like that.  If I could have unlimited access to someone else's Ferrari or Ducati, someone else's SxS offroader, boat, lake/beach house, etc.  Maybe its because I have two small kids, but I'm just incredibly tired of maintaining things.

True but I have vintage cars. I have some project ideas and a CNC is required to pursue those ideas. So I'd put up with the cleaning and fixing. Working in my shop is my de-stressor most days  depending - - - depending on how rusty the bolts are. ;)

I can beg some time on my employer's equipment and that's what I'll likely continue to do. What I can't do is build a side hustle making parts that I sell off of my employer's machines. 2-3 parts is one thing, 75-100 is another. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3917 on: October 27, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »

Who wants to be miserable 5 months of the year?

Just don't ask us about hurricanes!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3918 on: October 27, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »

I'm shopping for new hiking boots as I've decided that athletic shoes are not the best as I age.  I noticed that several of the boots had big "Extra-wide" labels on them.  I just realized that they are extra wide to fit the extra layers in cold weather.  As I live where there are some years that it doesn't go below freezing, I never thought about it.   Also, does anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced hiking boots?

Have you considered trail runners?

DH and I both wear Salomon trail running shoes all winter. I only wear my hiking boots when hiking in snow.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3919 on: October 27, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »

Who wants to be miserable 5 months of the year?

Just don't ask us about hurricanes!

Speak for yourself, Newfoundland is all about the hurricane winds. I'll be a pro in no time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3920 on: October 27, 2022, 03:29:15 PM »

I appreciate all the advice.  I hate cold.  This was the kid's idea.  I plan on spending like 2 days playing in the snow and then catching the train to San Francisco.

It's just funny because we Canadians do this *every* time winter gear gets mentioned. I'm not criticizing, I'm literally always part of the gear pile-on along with my fellow countryfolk. I'm just laughing because we're so stereotypical.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3921 on: October 27, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »

Depends what you mean when you say reasonably priced.  Boots are one of the areas I believe that it's often worth spending a little money on - cheap options have always let me down.  I've been wearing a pair of Original SWAT Classic 9" boots (https://originalfootwear.com/collections/original-s-w-a-t/products/classic-9) for the past five years and they're great.  Waterproof, light weight, supportive in the ankle, and reasonably hard wearing.  They're fine for hiking, although I use them mostly as spring/fall and light winter boots around town.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3922 on: October 27, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »

Depends what you mean when you say reasonably priced.  Boots are one of the areas I believe that it's often worth spending a little money on - cheap options have always let me down.  I've been wearing a pair of Original SWAT Classic 9" boots (https://originalfootwear.com/collections/original-s-w-a-t/products/classic-9) for the past five years and they're great.  Waterproof, light weight, supportive in the ankle, and reasonably hard wearing.  They're fine for hiking, although I use them mostly as spring/fall and light winter boots around town.

Yeah, I don't know what "reasonably priced" means either when it comes to winter footwear.
I'm always kind of amazed at the quality I can get for only $200. There are a lot of much less reliable, much less important things that cost $200.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #3923 on: October 27, 2022, 06:15:22 PM »

Yeah, I don't know what "reasonably priced" means either when it comes to winter footwear.
I'm always kind of amazed at the quality I can get for only $200. There are a lot of much less reliable, much less important things that cost $200.

The question was about hiking boots, not winter boots. A good pair of hiking boots should be under $200, especially if you go for hiking shoes instead (I prefer them because they're lighter). I bought the Oboz I have now for about $140 maybe 5 years ago and they have been excellent. They are just now starting to develop tears in the fabric, but I'll probably wear them for another year or so. I'll be tempted to replace them with the same brand.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3924 on: October 27, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »

The question was about hiking boots, not winter boots. A good pair of hiking boots should be under $200, especially if you go for hiking shoes instead (I prefer them because they're lighter). I bought the Oboz I have now for about $140 maybe 5 years ago and they have been excellent. They are just now starting to develop tears in the fabric, but I'll probably wear them for another year or so. I'll be tempted to replace them with the same brand.

I'm in Canada, our prices are different. My hiking boots cots at least $200

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3925 on: October 27, 2022, 07:05:16 PM »
Several times over the last couple months, I've found myself wishing we had a hot tub.  The onset of fall, a bunch of physical labor, a nasty head cold, a crazy busy life that leaves us exhausted at the end of every day...they all give me the urge to slip into some nice, hot, swirling, bubbling water.

It also appears that you can get used, working hot tubs for free or nearly free.  But the electricity to run them ...isn't free. :(

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3926 on: October 27, 2022, 07:54:24 PM »
We don't so much "lust" after things as grow weary of shopping for them, either online or (horrors) in person.  Our favorite eye candy is real estate.  But one can only buy (and sell) so much real estate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3927 on: October 28, 2022, 07:40:16 AM »
Several times over the last couple months, I've found myself wishing we had a hot tub.  The onset of fall, a bunch of physical labor, a nasty head cold, a crazy busy life that leaves us exhausted at the end of every day...they all give me the urge to slip into some nice, hot, swirling, bubbling water.

It also appears that you can get used, working hot tubs for free or nearly free.  But the electricity to run them ...isn't free. :(

I'll give you the whirlpool tub we have in our bathroom if you'll come get it. It works great, looks great. And holds 100 gallons? I don't know how much it holds but it is huge. So much water, so much propane @$5+ per gallon to heat the water. Definitely a luxury. DW and I have each given it a test drive. Unlikely to use it again. We both like a hot tub, but the expense...

Likely replacing it with a 100 year old clawfoot tub I'm restoring. Probably won't use that much either but it gives us the space to enlarge the shower during the remodel.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3928 on: October 28, 2022, 08:32:08 AM »
My grandparents had a hot tub when I was a kid.  Even then, the maintenance seemed like such a pain. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3929 on: October 28, 2022, 09:14:09 AM »
I solve my lust for a hot tub by periodically renting an Airbnb with a hot tub for a night.

Doing that this December, as a matter of fact.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3930 on: October 28, 2022, 09:22:13 AM »

Yeah, I got a free one 20 years ago because it needed a circulation pump and a heater; it was at a jobsite I was working at. I've since replaced those same parts a few more times, as well as other parts, and a few covers.
So it's possible, just get one that has good parts support (mine is a Hot Springs brand "Jetsetter" two seater).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3931 on: October 28, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »
I solve my lust for a hot tub by periodically renting an Airbnb with a hot tub for a night.

I also suggest that people who want a hot tub to consider a sauna. Much cheaper and easier to maintain. I love my sauna.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3932 on: October 28, 2022, 03:38:30 PM »

It's just funny because we Canadians do this *every* time winter gear gets mentioned. I'm not criticizing, I'm literally always part of the gear pile-on along with my fellow countryfolk. I'm just laughing because we're so stereotypical.

Well we pride ourselves on being in "The Great White North" so here we are.   ;)

Growing up in Montreal I never worried about tornadoes.  But after the recent ones in Ottawa, and knowing that my present area gets them more often, I guess I need to brush up on tornado savvy.  Just like if I lived in coastal Nova Scotia I would start thinking about metre snowfalls.

I hope your new old house is well prepared for hurricanes.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3933 on: October 28, 2022, 06:45:40 PM »

I also suggest that people who want a hot tub to consider a sauna. Much cheaper and easier to maintain. I love my sauna.

True. I’m not a huge fan of saunas, but I wouldn’t turn one down.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3934 on: October 29, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »

Well we pride ourselves on being in "The Great White North" so here we are.   ;)

Growing up in Montreal I never worried about tornadoes.  But after the recent ones in Ottawa, and knowing that my present area gets them more often, I guess I need to brush up on tornado savvy.  Just like if I lived in coastal Nova Scotia I would start thinking about metre snowfalls.

I hope your new old house is well prepared for hurricanes.

Well, it's been pummeled by hurricane winds for 110 years already. But it would be *my* particular luck that I would buy a house that has stood up to hurricane winds for a century only to be destroyed by hurricane winds.

That would be very fitting.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3935 on: October 31, 2022, 10:22:04 AM »
I'm currently lusting after a rackmount file server with a RAID 5 of 4 TB SSDs and 10 gigabit LAN connection. Probably would cost $3k and change but would be a big improvement for how we manage our storage.
I did end up buying one 4 TB SSD and set up a 10 gigabyte LAN (total cost ~$1.8k) for my existing file server (repurposed old desktop). But I still don't have good storage redundancy or any further ability for expansion. Also could really use some serious computational horsepower for my wife's work.

So now I'm eyeing EPYC servers with ~24x hot-swappable storage bays. Probably a minimum of $5k-$6k, and more likely around $8k or so...

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #3936 on: November 23, 2022, 09:02:32 PM »
GIRTH, the car-tire bicycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkviJq3GImc

Tire tubes, flat tires, sidewalk bumps and cracks? They no longer exist. Hello 80,000 miles between tire changes!

Throw an electric motor or 2 on it and I can finally ride the snowmobile trails without the cost of snowmobile registration and insurance.

In my dreams, it's powered by Tesla battery modules and can plug in at Tesla superchargers and make all the drivers' jaws hit the ground as I ride coast to coast.

Thank goodness these bicycles can only be built, not bought. I don't have that level of skill, but I almost want to trade my car for it, because it's easy to buy another car.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3937 on: December 12, 2022, 07:16:08 AM »

Out of curiosity, what do you think of these:  https://poshmark.com/listing/Sorel-Winter-Carnival-Size-75-womens-636087360b476d104f085d5a

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3938 on: December 12, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »

Out of curiosity, what do you think of these:  https://poshmark.com/listing/Sorel-Winter-Carnival-Size-75-womens-636087360b476d104f085d5a

Sorel make excellent boots (at least 30 years ago when I was living in the deep north, they were one of the most popular types of winter boots).  The boots you've linked only have a 6mm liner though, they'll work for mild winter weather but I think you would might get chilly if you're in serious cold.  Usually we would aim for 10 - 15 mm liners for -40 weather.  Make sure you get a size too big so there's room for extra socks.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3939 on: December 12, 2022, 07:56:08 AM »

Sorel make excellent boots (at least 30 years ago when I was living in the deep north, they were one of the most popular types of winter boots).  The boots you've linked only have a 6mm liner though, they'll work for mild winter weather but I think you would might get chilly if you're in serious cold.  Usually we would aim for 10 - 15 mm liners for -40 weather.  Make sure you get a size too big so there's room for extra socks.

I was afraid of that.  I'm not really wanting to buy super thick boots because I might only wear them a few times every couple of years.  But I also don't want to get frostbite on this spring break trip.  On the bright side, my kid and I currently wear the same size shoe.  Since I'm going to have to get both of us boots anyway, I'll get a pair that I like and when he outgrows them I'll have two pairs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3940 on: December 12, 2022, 09:06:27 AM »

I was afraid of that.  I'm not really wanting to buy super thick boots because I might only wear them a few times every couple of years.  But I also don't want to get frostbite on this spring break trip.  On the bright side, my kid and I currently wear the same size shoe.  Since I'm going to have to get both of us boots anyway, I'll get a pair that I like and when he outgrows them I'll have two pairs.

You used to be able to get replacement liners of different thickness from Sorel for much less than the boots.  As long as the boot is big enough to accommodate the liner, this could work to make the boots a lot warmer (and then put back in the light liner during spring).

The thickness of liner also depends on what you're doing.  If you're winter camping (where you might be standing or sitting for extended periods) you need a much warmer boot than if you're winter hiking (where you built up a lot of heat by moving around).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3941 on: December 12, 2022, 09:27:50 AM »

You used to be able to get replacement liners of different thickness from Sorel for much less than the boots.  As long as the boot is big enough to accommodate the liner, this could work to make the boots a lot warmer (and then put back in the light liner during spring).

The thickness of liner also depends on what you're doing.  If you're winter camping (where you might be standing or sitting for extended periods) you need a much warmer boot than if you're winter hiking (where you built up a lot of heat by moving around).

My plan calls for being in the snow as little as possible.  My kid says he wants to try snowboarding, so maybe that and a some snow tubing or snowmobiling.  It's for like two days.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3942 on: December 12, 2022, 09:32:02 AM »
My plan calls for being in the snow as little as possible.  My kid says he wants to try snowboarding, so maybe that and a some snow tubing or snowmobiling.  It's for like two days.

Tubing tends to be a fair amount of walking, and snowboarding you'll have snowboarding boots on.  The problem I think will be snowmobiling . . . that tends to involve sitting still for lengthy periods of time and not moving your body all that much.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3943 on: December 12, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »

Tubing tends to be a fair amount of walking, and snowboarding you'll have snowboarding boots on.  The problem I think will be snowmobiling . . . that tends to involve sitting still for lengthy periods of time and not moving your body all that much.

That may be a moot point.  I just priced out snowboarding lessons.  He's going to have to pick one or the other and I suspect that snowboarding will win. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: December 12, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
I used to lust over getting a pottery wheel and have been looking on CL over the years but never found any deals on them.  Recently I discovered that inexpensive Chinese full-size, 14" wheels are available now for about $200 online.  They're slightly underpowered, compared to a professional wheel, which limits the amount of clay you can throw to about 10 lbs, but that's enough for most amateurs.  If my skill level ever exceeds that I'll be okay with buying a higher-quality more powerful wheel.

Another thing I've discovered that solves my lust for learning foreign languages is a pair of Timekettle language translator earbuds.  They can translate 40 different languages, and you can share an earbud with someone and have an in-depth 2-way conversation.  Your earpiece translates into English and theirs translates into Spanish, Chinese, etc.  The delay is only about 0.5 second.  Now I can stop feeling like the "clueless deaf guy" when we travel.  :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3945 on: December 12, 2022, 12:23:07 PM »

FYI, Sorel was bought out by Columbia when they went bankrupt in 2000.  More recently, Columbia has shifted production from North Amera to overseas (primarily China and Vietnam).  IMO the quality and workmanship has gone downhill substantially in the last decade or so.  My Sorel boots from the late 1990s lasted well over a decade - more recently I've gone through three pairs in six winters, with the rubberized boot always cracking within two winters (effectively making them no longer waterproof).  To their credit Sorel replaced the boots each time, but as my wife has had similar problems and there are lots of online complaints like this it seems to be a common QC problem.

More recently I've found Baffin boots to be much more durable and warm, and they fit me better. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3946 on: December 12, 2022, 02:49:20 PM »
Completely ridiculous right now: we have snow and it is -4Celsius but I wannna a Jang seeder with all the rollers.
https://duboisag.com/ca_en/jang-automation-jp-1-clean-seeder-without-seed-roller.html#product-detailed
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:51:40 PM by Frugal Lizard »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3947 on: December 12, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »
Completely ridiculous right now: we have snow and it is -4Celsius but I wannna a Jang seeder with all the rollers.
https://duboisag.com/ca_en/jang-automation-jp-1-clean-seeder-without-seed-roller.html#product-detailed

I clicked to see it and got a 20% off coupon.  It looks like a super thing for someone who plants the size garden you do.  Better to order it now than put it out of mind and realize in April you never did order it.

And for those bemoaning the softness of the forums these days, there are times when spending a bit of money instead of physically overtaxing your body is a good thing.  Now if FL were lusting after a big Kubota I would be asking if that wasn't maybe going a bit overboard?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3948 on: December 13, 2022, 07:21:46 AM »

FYI, Sorel was bought out by Columbia when they went bankrupt in 2000.  More recently, Columbia has shifted production from North Amera to overseas (primarily China and Vietnam).  IMO the quality and workmanship has gone downhill substantially in the last decade or so.  My Sorel boots from the late 1990s lasted well over a decade - more recently I've gone through three pairs in six winters, with the rubberized boot always cracking within two winters (effectively making them no longer waterproof).  To their credit Sorel replaced the boots each time, but as my wife has had similar problems and there are lots of online complaints like this it seems to be a common QC problem.

More recently I've found Baffin boots to be much more durable and warm, and they fit me better.

Awww . . . that sucks to hear.  I had a couple pairs of Sorel boots that were incredibly warm and each lasted for at least 8 years of heavy winter use.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: December 13, 2022, 07:41:03 AM »

I hate to hear that.  I have found the same issue with Doc Martens.  The ones made in England are still great, but also about twice the price of the mass produced Asian versions.  The pair I'm currently wearing are NOS that I found on Poshmark.