Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1300749 times)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3200 on: July 12, 2021, 01:44:51 AM »
Slot car set to keep my kids entertained during winter holidays. And for my own fun.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3201 on: July 12, 2021, 04:21:01 AM »
I so want a shady option for our back yard. We have a lovely back yard area, with plenty of shade (via patio umbrellas) in the morning & early afternoons. In the late afternoon, we typically get some shade from a neighbor's tree. Unfortunately, due to the drought, the tree has a tremendous aphid infestation, and there's sticky goo everywhere, so no sitting in that area. It's ruined several of our patio chairs. We had a tree guy out to get a bid (neighbor is 90+, and definitely not planning to pay), and it's way too much for a service the tree guy says needs to be repeated multiple times, and no guarantees due to the drought & wind. So, undeterred, I'm not looking at options for creating more shade elsewhere in the yard. It's stupid, and pricey.

Last summer our garden had shade and our patio had sun.  We paid to have trees cut down and I built a pergola for $400.  After it was done it occurred to me that we could have moved our gardens to our patio and sat under the shade...

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3202 on: July 13, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
An electric vehicle. Or mostly a new car in general. But our 15+ year old cars are still going strong, and I WFH 90%+ of the time now, so it really doesn't make sense...

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3203 on: July 13, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
Of course, it's a motorcycle *sigh*.
And not even a fast bike, but a slow bike!
It's the first bike I wanted, when I was 16 in 1983 working at a shop one of the mechanics bought a brand new FT 500 Ascot, didn't like it, and wanted to sell it.
Mom said no way was I buying a street bike!
When I turned 18 I bought a different Honda (sorry ma) and rode on the street for the next 27 or so years on a variety of bikes, all of which are "classics" now. Sold my last BMW in 2012.
I was browsing craigslist and there it was, FT 500 Ascot, $2200.
The next day I found myself actually thinking that I could buy it!
And I still want to, but I won't.
No, I won't.
Definitely, won't...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3204 on: July 13, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
It's the first bike I wanted, when I was 16 in 1983 working at a shop one of the mechanics bought a brand new FT 500 Ascot, didn't like it, and wanted to sell it.
When I turned 18 I bought a different Honda (sorry ma) and rode on the street for the next 27 or so years on a variety of bikes, all of which are "classics" now. Sold my last BMW in 2012.
No, I won't.
Definitely, won't...

Ah, the curse of the teen dream vehicle.

I've seen so many people buy really odd vehicles because of what their teen self thought was cool. Like every person who ever bought a Delorean.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3205 on: July 13, 2021, 12:49:50 PM »
No, I won't.
Definitely, won't...
Go take it for a test drive.  That'll cure ya.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3206 on: July 13, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
My teen dream is a TR7.  My dad had one and sold it just before I got my driver's permit.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3207 on: July 13, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
My teen dream is a TR7.  My dad had one and sold it just before I got my driver's permit.

Mine was an Acura Integra, that's what the cool teens at my school drove in the 90s.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3208 on: July 13, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
No, I won't.
Definitely, won't...

Ah, the curse of the teen dream vehicle.

I've seen so many people buy really odd vehicles because of what their teen self thought was cool. Like every person who ever bought a Delorean.
End of May we went to visit the in-laws. Somewhere in Georgia along I-95 I found myself thinking as we passed yet another vehicle parked on the shoulder. "Who the hell covers a car parked on the shoulder - aren't you coming back for it very soon?" Wind blows just right - cover comes loose on the front. "Oh cool! Its a DeLorean!"

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3209 on: July 14, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
No, I won't.
Definitely, won't...
Go take it for a test drive.  That'll cure ya.

Would it, though?
It's about nostalgia more than rideability, "visual ownership", aka I like the way it looks and it reminds me of my youth.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3210 on: July 14, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »
always loved the Volvo 240 series... want a sedan or coupe and create a turbo brick.
I dunno why. I don't have wrenching skills beyond those of replacing brakes/rotors/pads, fluid changes, and other auto minor maintenance work.
I don't even have the garage space to do this. But I can haz google-fu and keyboard warrior this. There are so many different front end variations, so many choices.
I have dreams about this. I'm not even European. I don't know why I have this Volvo Lust.
This is stupid.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3211 on: July 14, 2021, 10:45:42 AM »
always loved the Volvo 240 series... want a sedan or coupe and create a turbo brick.
I dunno why. I don't have wrenching skills beyond those of replacing brakes/rotors/pads, fluid changes, and other auto minor maintenance work.
FWIW, if you can change your brakes, you're 90% of the way to doing anything else.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3212 on: July 14, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
To add to my list of stupid things I want:

We are in the market for a new vehicle.  I got into my head last week that we can afford a Volvo XC40.  So we go to the dealership and the actual inventory is severely depleted (unlike what they claim to have on site on their website...bait and switch?).  Evidently there is a global car shortage going on.  Anyway, we get there, realize the XC40's trunk space is gonna be too small for us.  So we start looking at the XC60 T5 Momentum.  Test ride, loved it.  Then we do the sit down with the manager.  $48,500 with taxes and fees.  He tells us that he isn't going to budge on the price because if we don't buy the car someone else will tomorrow.  Apparently cars are flying off the lot.  We walked away.

So, I still want the car but realize that I probably can't bear the prospect of spending that much on a new car.  Plus I didn't like the fact that the dealership wasn't willing to budge even a little bit.

We'll likely go with a Honda CRV EX-L sometime toward the end of the year.  If the inventory ever increases again.  No wiggle room on price at the Honda dealership either!  Buyers have no leverage at the moment.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3213 on: July 14, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »
To add to my list of stupid things I want:

We are in the market for a new vehicle.  I got into my head last week that we can afford a Volvo XC40.  So we go to the dealership and the actual inventory is severely depleted (unlike what they claim to have on site on their website...bait and switch?).  Evidently there is a global car shortage going on.  Anyway, we get there, realize the XC40's trunk space is gonna be too small for us.  So we start looking at the XC60 T5 Momentum.  Test ride, loved it.  Then we do the sit down with the manager.  $48,500 with taxes and fees.  He tells us that he isn't going to budge on the price because if we don't buy the car someone else will tomorrow.  Apparently cars are flying off the lot.  We walked away.

So, I still want the car but realize that I probably can't bear the prospect of spending that much on a new car.  Plus I didn't like the fact that the dealership wasn't willing to budge even a little bit.

We'll likely go with a Honda CRV EX-L sometime toward the end of the year.  If the inventory ever increases again.  No wiggle room on price at the Honda dealership either!  Buyers have no leverage at the moment.

i did a quick road trip last weekend and i was amazed at the amount of new cars on the road. enough that even my mom noticed them.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3214 on: July 14, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
FWIW, if you can change your brakes, you're 90% of the way to doing anything else.
I just realized, post a late lunch, why I want it. It's a bloody sleeper.
And living in Florida, I don't have to mess with emissions, etc. since we don't have annual inspections.
And insurance would be a pittance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(car)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3215 on: July 14, 2021, 02:43:08 PM »
As a teenager, I wanted a Nissan 350z.

There might be a little nostalgia, but not enough that I would consider owning one now.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3216 on: July 14, 2021, 04:58:57 PM »

There might be a little nostalgia, but not enough that I would consider owning one now.

I just saw one a few days ago and I was like "yep, still cool"

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3217 on: July 15, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
There is a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT Sedan 4D for sale with 60k miles.  Beautiful Italian 4 dr with Ferarri V8.  Gets 12mpg around town.  Only $12k to purchase, but high cost to operate, maintain and insure. 

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/527076305378441/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3218 on: July 18, 2021, 12:16:13 AM »

I just saw one a few days ago and I was like "yep, still cool"

As a teenager, I wanted to live in a city and not need a vehicle. Still haven't gotten there...I have a 75 Chevy though

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3219 on: July 18, 2021, 10:04:43 PM »
Two months later...

Because it gives you opportunities to lust after things like Vision Festival full festival passes, which just went on sale for $375.

I mean I haven't spent money on live music in over a YEAR, right...

I resisted all the impulses to buy this festival pass, and tonight a friend of mine gave me a coupon code to reduce the price by 70%. Frugal friends are the best!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #3220 on: July 19, 2021, 06:25:42 AM »
There is a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT Sedan 4D for sale with 60k miles.  Beautiful Italian 4 dr with Ferarri V8.  Gets 12mpg around town.  Only $12k to purchase, but high cost to operate, maintain and insure. 

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/527076305378441/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

I consider myself blessed that I've never yearned to own a car.  I do appreciate the beauty of a nice Italian sportscar, but ownership of one never even crossed my mind.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3221 on: July 19, 2021, 06:51:35 AM »

I consider myself blessed that I've never yearned to own a car.  I do appreciate the beauty of a nice Italian sportscar, but ownership of one never even crossed my mind.

Same.  I live in a part of the world where public transportation might as well be part of the liberal commie agenda so having a car is more or less a necessary evil.  As such, I subscribe to the idea that I'll buy exactly what I want and drive it until the wheels fall off.  I still love it, and have no desire to replace it for at least the next 10 years.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3222 on: July 19, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »

Yeah I think I'd agree with you there. There is not too much to know about turning a wrench.

The trickier part comes with diagnosis on the really modern cars.. But its still sensors and wiring so with a brain that is wired "sequentially" this stuff is not hard.

If you are wired "artistically" this might be a little harder.

Oh and bodywork & paint is an entirely different skillset.. fun to learn though..:)

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3223 on: August 04, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
A toaster oven. I'm always eating bread from the freezer, which usually require some additional baking on top of thawing, so I'm using my oven (face punch, anyone?). No idea how much this is costing me in electricity, but a toaster oven would certainly be more economical (or not? I know nothing) and faster. Do I actually need the thing? Probably not. Do I have the counter space? Meh, probably. Could I make my own bread? Nope. Could I live without (freshly baked) bread? Absolutely not.

*French People In The USA Problems*

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3224 on: August 04, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »
A toaster oven. I'm always eating bread from the freezer, which usually require some additional baking on top of thawing, so I'm using my oven (face punch, anyone?). No idea how much this is costing me in electricity, but a toaster oven would certainly be more economical (or not? I know nothing) and faster. Do I actually need the thing? Probably not. Do I have the counter space? Meh, probably. Could I make my own bread? Nope. Could I live without (freshly baked) bread? Absolutely not.

A toaster is much smaller than a toaster oven and perfect for frozen bread.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3225 on: August 04, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »

Except I don't use much sliced bread. I have one, and my regular go-to breads (1/2 baguettes and single-person ciabattas) don't fit. Plus they're only half-baked, and it doesn't work. I tried (I know, I'm a snob)

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #3226 on: August 04, 2021, 09:05:29 PM »

Except I don't use much sliced bread. I have one, and my regular go-to breads (1/2 baguettes and single-person ciabattas) don't fit. Plus they're only half-baked, and it doesn't work. I tried (I know, I'm a snob)

I LOVE my toaster oven. It has replaced 75% of the microwave use and 25% of the oven use. It does a better job then either most of the time. 100% worth it. It was also a free hand me down from a relative.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3227 on: August 05, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
Broke down and ordered a new hot tub.   Existing one was 15+ years old and last couple years has had numerous problems, which I've grown tire of fixing and paying for.
New unit supposed to arrive in about 60 days.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3228 on: August 05, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »
Toaster oven is definitely cheaper to operate than an oven.  And much quicker, too.  Perhaps you can find a used one at a thrift store, on Marketplace, or similar.  I've even seen them offered up occasionally in my local Buy Nothing group, which means free! 

As for counter space, the one I got has a place on top for slices, like a regular slot toaster.  It's not the very best slot toaster ever, but it does the job, so I only have one appliance on the counter.  Still larger than a regular slot toaster, but better than having both taking up space.  All toaster ovens say you can toast bread in them, and technically you can, but it is never as good or efficient as a slot toaster. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3229 on: August 05, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
I got rid of my toaster oven when I moved, and since then I've gotten to be a big fan of frying the bread in a skillet instead of toasting it.

Nocto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3230 on: August 08, 2021, 05:51:53 PM »
2022 Ford Maverick. Checks all the boxes for me: compact, pick-up, good on gas.

I have a paid off SUV that isn't showing signs of death YET, so I will hold off for as long as possible lol.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3231 on: August 08, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »
I really don't want anything right now except air conditioning.  My old car has no workimg A/C.  My current house has only partial A/C.  My rental property needs a new A/C.  My vacation home needs one of the A/C units updated.  The office and laboratory I work in has a horrible A/C.  It's actually raining condensate in multiple areas on expensive instruments. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3232 on: August 08, 2021, 07:42:43 PM »
Whoa, and you’re in the land of hot and muggy…

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3233 on: August 09, 2021, 05:55:13 AM »
2022 Ford Maverick. Checks all the boxes for me: compact, pick-up, good on gas.

I have a paid off SUV that isn't showing signs of death YET, so I will hold off for as long as possible lol.

Same! I often wonder why no one builds a small, relatively fuel efficient truck. I have been eyeing the Ranger, but it got big also. 

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3234 on: August 09, 2021, 07:06:04 AM »
I really don't want anything right now except air conditioning.  My old car has no workimg A/C.  My current house has only partial A/C.  My rental property needs a new A/C.  My vacation home needs one of the A/C units updated.  The office and laboratory I work in has a horrible A/C.  It's actually raining condensate in multiple areas on expensive instruments.

Hey, at least you're consistent.  When we visit my wife's family in Lousiana, her mother keeps the house at 68 degrees and it makes stepping out into 100* temps with 90% humidity that much worse.  I feel like the key to contentedness in hot/humid climates is acclimation--sounds like you're good to go! Well except for the rental.  I can see some pissed off tenants in your future. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3235 on: August 09, 2021, 07:16:26 AM »

Hey, at least you're consistent.  When we visit my wife's family in Lousiana, her mother keeps the house at 68 degrees and it makes stepping out into 100* temps with 90% humidity that much worse.  I feel like the key to contentedness in hot/humid climates is acclimation--sounds like you're good to go! Well except for the rental.  I can see some pissed off tenants in your future.

Luckily nobody in the rental.  We're in the process of rebuilding it for my son and soon to be daughter in law.  It's right down the street from us. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3236 on: August 09, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
Whoa, and you’re in the land of hot and muggy…

It's so humid in Louisiana, when we go to the Florida house it feels cooler.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3237 on: August 09, 2021, 07:23:30 AM »

When our toaster bit it a year ago (10 years for a $10 appliance is great mileage), we replaced it with a toaster oven. It has replaced the toaster, oven, and microwave for a lot of tasks. It was a great purchase.

easternblockbabe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3238 on: August 10, 2021, 07:15:43 AM »
Garden planter urns - I've been lusting for those forever,  the large cast stone types.  The cheapest fiber-stone typically go new for $150+ each, and the cast stone can be upward of $500 each.  A couple of years ago I had found a fiberstone used urn, for $25 at a local salvage shop, but could never find a pair to create a symmetry at the entrance.

Well, after checking Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, online shopping, and antique stores for many months,  I had an incredible luck the other day!  I had pulled into a garden center to get some treatment product for my garden - and what I saw was a pair of gorgeous, high end, cast stone urns - with an unbelievable sale price of $50 each !  These beauties are now in my yard, waiting to be placed in their final position. 

I'm still pinching myself that I'm not dreaming.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3239 on: August 10, 2021, 07:29:51 AM »
a coffee roaster. i used to roast coffee on a home made roaster but it crapped out so now i buy from a friend of mine. he delivers it to me as he works right down the street. sweet deal. however they seem to have gotten slack with their roasting. i order 2 bags and i've been letting him know that i'm down to half a bag so i'm not without but i'm still running out. the thought of spending $500 for a roaster seems pretty stupid but i'm still thinking about it.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #3240 on: August 10, 2021, 08:18:47 AM »

A Spooky (brand) Halloween (the movie, themed) pinball machine.
These were just announced/released for production and I'd love to have one, but the wifey isn't on board with spending $9k on a new machine since I just got a new game the first week of June. She for some crazy reason thinks one big frivolous purchase like that a year is enough. LOL

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #3241 on: August 10, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »
Garden planter urns - I've been lusting for those forever,  the large cast stone types.  The cheapest fiber-stone typically go new for $150+ each, and the cast stone can be upward of $500 each.  A couple of years ago I had found a fiberstone used urn, for $25 at a local salvage shop, but could never find a pair to create a symmetry at the entrance.

Well, after checking Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, online shopping, and antique stores for many months,  I had an incredible luck the other day!  I had pulled into a garden center to get some treatment product for my garden - and what I saw was a pair of gorgeous, high end, cast stone urns - with an unbelievable sale price of $50 each !  These beauties are now in my yard, waiting to be placed in their final position. 

I'm still pinching myself that I'm not dreaming.

Score! I understand what a win this is :)

Must_Stash_NM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3242 on: August 15, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »
A new mountain bike. Really getting fed up with my current bike. Constantly messing with it and it still doesn't (and never will) fit right.

Yep.  My 15 year old FS bike just seems too retro among my friends' bikes.  26" wheels and a triple chain ring.  I thought I was doing ok until more than one person starting waxing nostalgic at the sight of my bike.  Time to upgrade?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3243 on: August 15, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »
A new mountain bike. Really getting fed up with my current bike. Constantly messing with it and it still doesn't (and never will) fit right.

Yep.  My 15 year old FS bike just seems too retro among my friends' bikes.  26" wheels and a triple chain ring.  I thought I was doing ok until more than one person starting waxing nostalgic at the sight of my bike.  Time to upgrade?

I just upgraded DH's mountain bike to a nearly 20 year old bike and everyone on the trails love it when they see it because it's such a distinctive bike with a retro cult following (Cannondale Jekyll with a "lefty" front suspension), so it gets a lot of attention.

His daily driver is a 20 year old Gary Fisher, which also gets a lot of attention. Everyone in his age bracket always exclaim "I always wanted a Gary Fisher!". He loves it.

What's the problem with people being nostalgic about your bike?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3244 on: August 15, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »

My standard bike is now a 15 year old Trek, and I don't even think of it as being old.  lol

My old 12 speed was purchased in 1985.  That's the one I call my "old" bike.  And a 21 year old MTB.

I finally bought a new e-bike this year (mentioned/picture earlier in this thread).  Really like that for the hills but use PAS 0 (no power) on level ground unless there are headwinds.

I still have some lust for a lighter mid-drive torque sensor e-bike like the Prodigy, which isn't shipping, yet.  But I'm not planning to get anything else this season.

Must_Stash_NM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3245 on: August 15, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »
Malcat and American GenX, I'm happy to hear about others rocking the retro rides.

My Santa Cruz still gives me a thrill even after all these years.  But recently my friend let me use his 29er trail bike and man was that thing a dream to ride!  The progression of trail bike geometry, drivetrains, and suspension technology is really incredible. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3246 on: August 15, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »
Malcat and American GenX, I'm happy to hear about others rocking the retro rides.

My Santa Cruz still gives me a thrill even after all these years.  But recently my friend let me use his 29er trail bike and man was that thing a dream to ride!  The progression of trail bike geometry, drivetrains, and suspension technology is really incredible.

Yeah, we don't have real mountains here, just big hills. DH always chuckles about the monster bikes people ride around here.

He bought the Jekyll from a guy from the west coast who is selling all of his 29ers for smaller bikes because they're so excessive for our trails here. He bought the Jekyll used, but it was a bit too small for him.

DH tried out a big ass trail bike and he said it was like driving a hummer.

I'm a soft e-bike rider who rides mostly flat bike paths, so I don't judge anyone who likes a bit of overkill.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #3247 on: August 17, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »

AfterShokz Aeropex headphones. (160$)

I accidently stepped on my 30$ bluetooth headphones and broke one of them. I use them almost daily and really would like to get the Aeropex but cannot quite pull the trigger.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3248 on: August 17, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »
Had the itch for an electric lawn tractor. So I bought one. A 50 year old one.

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #3249 on: August 17, 2021, 05:40:26 PM »
$300 Bose QuietComfort II headphones.

I work from home and there's incessant noise outside my apartment due to the landscapers coming day after day straight for the past several weeks.  Right now, I'm coping by wearing earplugs and putting my $70 headphones (that are falling apart after 1.5 years of use) over those and using their mediocre noise cancelling feature though I can't listen to music this way and they could fall apart any day.

At least I'm not living in China and dealing with the far more ubiquitous noise like these guys:

https://youtu.be/hbsVFMr2f6g

https://youtu.be/-gsI0WRZiu4