Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1302775 times)

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3000 on: May 04, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
I have some extra money I wasn't expecting, and have been wanting to buy an expensive electric guitar that I've wanted for a long time. It's like $2,000. I've been playing for a couple decades and it's my main hobby, but I'm not a professional musician and I already have a decent electric guitar. In fact, I was previously thinking about selling a couple cheap instruments I accumulated over the years to reduce clutter. I suppose it's aspirational purchase--a "dream axe" for a dream I no longer pursue.

It's weird--I know that buying it won't improve my life or well-being in any lasting, significant way (though I'm sure it would be fun to play). And yet, part of me thinks, "Why not? You can afford it, it's not a passing fancy, it will retain much of its value..." and other rationalizations.

What do you think? Stupid consumerist lust?

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3001 on: May 04, 2021, 08:51:15 AM »
I have some extra money I wasn't expecting, and have been wanting to buy an expensive electric guitar that I've wanted for a long time. It's like $2,000. I've been playing for a couple decades and it's my main hobby, but I'm not a professional musician and I already have a decent electric guitar. In fact, I was previously thinking about selling a couple cheap instruments I accumulated over the years to reduce clutter. I suppose it's aspirational purchase--a "dream axe" for a dream I no longer pursue.

It's weird--I know that buying it won't improve my life or well-being in any lasting, significant way (though I'm sure it would be fun to play). And yet, part of me thinks, "Why not? You can afford it, it's not a passing fancy, it will retain much of its value..." and other rationalizations.

(Shia LeBeouf flex) "DO IT"

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3002 on: May 04, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
A $59.99 'tuned' windchime at costco.
It sounded so nice...
Luckily all gone on next visit

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3003 on: May 04, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »
a pop-up camper.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3004 on: May 04, 2021, 03:12:29 PM »
I have been clicking on a Van Cleef Alhambra necklace on the Real Real for months.

It is a pattern that I have loved since I was a little girl. Having the extra stimulus money come in this year has made it harder to not buy it.

But no one needs an almost 3k necklace for just wearing around the house.

I feel like I am cursed with expensive taste. Every time I see something that clicks and I think, "That! that is the style of the thing I have been wanting!" it is beaucoup bucks.

You saw there was a member offering to make commissioned jewelry so that they could practice, right?

Looks like they're very simple pieces to try and copy.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3005 on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
A house near my friends and family in NZ.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3006 on: May 04, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
I have been clicking on a Van Cleef Alhambra necklace on the Real Real for months.

It is a pattern that I have loved since I was a little girl. Having the extra stimulus money come in this year has made it harder to not buy it.

But no one needs an almost 3k necklace for just wearing around the house.

I feel like I am cursed with expensive taste. Every time I see something that clicks and I think, "That! that is the style of the thing I have been wanting!" it is beaucoup bucks.

You saw there was a member offering to make commissioned jewelry so that they could practice, right?

Looks like they're very simple pieces to try and copy.

I didn't! Thanks.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-marketplace/hand-made-jewelry-at-material-shipping-and-insurance-cost/

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3007 on: May 05, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »

That's one vote for going for it! :D

Any face punchers wanna chime in?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3008 on: May 05, 2021, 12:29:02 PM »

That's one vote for going for it! :D

Any face punchers wanna chime in?

Well since you asked... You already said you know it won't make you happier or improve your life long term, so what are you hoping to get out of it?  Just a short term dopamine boost?  A quick hit from the hedonic treadmill?  Why not commit to playing the instrument you already have and improving your skills before buying a better one?  At that point, if you feel you're at a point where the instrument is holding you back and you actually would get more enjoyment from the fancy expensive guitar, then you'll have my permission to go for it.

:)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3009 on: May 05, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
I'll throw a half-hearted facepunch. Someone could say:

That guitar is going to sit in its case, or hang on the wall, and every time you see it, you're going to think to yourself, "was that thing really worth two grand?"

or...

"You'll play, sure, but because you paid so much for it, you'll be paranoid about scratching it."

or...

"Will it increase your playing ability?  Will you enjoy playing it more, to the tune of $2000?"

or...

"Never meet your heroes, or buy your dream car (or guitar)."

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3010 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »

That guitar is going to sit in its case, or hang on the wall, and every time you see it, you're going to think to yourself, "was that thing really worth two grand?"

or...

"You'll play, sure, but because you paid so much for it, you'll be paranoid about scratching it."

or...

"Will it increase your playing ability?  Will you enjoy playing it more, to the tune of $2000?"

or...

I bought my dream motorcycle once. It was wonderful, and I deeply regret selling it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3011 on: May 05, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
I've been wanting a sports car again lately...problem is used car prices are batshit (up 20+ percent vs last year). :-/

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3012 on: May 05, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
I've been wanting a sports car again lately...problem is used car prices are batshit (up 20+ percent vs last year). :-/

Sounds about the same as the houses in my area, and the S&P500, and groceries, and...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:05:31 PM by Optimiser »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3013 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »

or...

or...

or...

I bought my dream motorcycle once. It was wonderful, and I deeply regret selling it.

I have a number of dream things and regret none of them.

There's a difference though between something that's a dream because it's really the ideal thing for your current needs and wants and is worth investing in for the enormous tangible good it brings.

Vs

Something you think is a dream because your younger self got fixated on it as "cool" for whatever youthful reasons at the time, and in buying it is an attempt to retroactively fulfill your younger self's fantasies.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3014 on: May 05, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »

Well since you asked... You already said you know it won't make you happier or improve your life long term, so what are you hoping to get out of it?  Just a short term dopamine boost?  A quick hit from the hedonic treadmill?  Why not commit to playing the instrument you already have and improving your skills before buying a better one?  At that point, if you feel you're at a point where the instrument is holding you back and you actually would get more enjoyment from the fancy expensive guitar, then you'll have my permission to go for it.

:)

Well, I suppose after so many years of playing and telling myself I should keep practicing until I really "earn it," I've started to wonder: how will I know if that day ever arrives? When will I consider myself good enough for a professional-grade instrument? There's always something new to learn and practice, so I could probably keep telling myself that for the rest of my life haha!  But you're totally right--the benefit is nebulous and impossible to quantify beyond the dopamine hit of New Shiny Toy. Plus my current instrument isn't holding me back in any significant way.

Quote from: zolotiyeruki

or...

or...

or...

Great points. :)

Quote from: Malcat

I have a number of dream things and regret none of them.

There's a difference though between something that's a dream because it's really the ideal thing for your current needs and wants and is worth investing in for the enormous tangible good it brings.

Vs

Something you think is a dream because your younger self got fixated on it as "cool" for whatever youthful reasons at the time, and in buying it is an attempt to retroactively fulfill your younger self's fantasies.

For sure. On one hand, I've wanted this particular thing for about 10 years, but on the other, what if this desire is a sublimation and I'm just trying to fulfill old aspirations using money? Tough for me to know.

Anyway, it's the kind of thing where I'd have to go try out a few specimens for one that would speak to me, since the instruments can vary quite a bit and I've gotten picky over the years about what works for me. So thankfully it's not like I can just impulsively click BUY on a website to make this decision.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3015 on: May 05, 2021, 04:57:49 PM »
Well, now that I'm getting my main 'lusts' in a couple of months - coastFIRE and a new house in our FIRE town - I've got a laundry list of things to buy to take advantage of the new town:

- New sectional couch for the big living room/great room
- New cabinets for the kitchen
- New dishwasher/range/microwave
- Full suspension MTB to take advantage of the in-town mountains and trails
- New e-bike to pair up with my existing one so DW and I can ride around together
- New hardshell kayak...and possibly a tandem one to bring the kids/wife
- Hardware to transport my hardshell kayak, hopefully via bike
- New bikes for the kids
- Warmer clothing and rain clothing for the family to survive the PNW winters
- Ski gear for the kids...though we may rent
- New grill for our deck (craigslist trade after selling our current one)
- New patio furniture for the deck
- Retractable awning for deck? 
- Outdoor heat lamp(s) for deck

Guess it's a good thing I'll still be working part-time for a while.  Kitchen upgrades can wait a bit, but most of the rest will probably actually be purchased. 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3016 on: May 08, 2021, 07:45:54 AM »
Patio furniture.

If I can find some thing used for under $500, I might indulge myself.

Quoting myself here to say that I found a nice used patio chair for $20 that seemed to scratch that itch.

Now I am lusting for a new mirrorless camera that is around $3000. I am starting to wonder if it is pandemic fatigue and being basically stuck in the house for over a year that is at the root of all of this.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3017 on: May 08, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
- New e-bike

An e-bike was pretty much the only thing I was lusting for that was under $5000, yet expensive enough to hesitate purchasing for some time.  I finally broke down and bought one this spring for $1500, plus hundreds more in related costs for upgrades/accessories.  So far, no regrets.  I still use a lot of muscle power and get a good workout, but the assist is great when needed, like up hills and into headwinds.

There are definitely some things I need, but I can't think of anything I would put in the lust category now, which is a good thing the way prices are rising.  I'm already having to adjust up my required expenses budget.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #3018 on: May 10, 2021, 12:53:11 PM »

or...

or...

or...

I owned my dream car once. It was a 1968 Dodge Charger 383/auto. I sold it right after high school and have regretted it since. I don't think there has been a month go by in the last 25 years that I haven't thought about that car.
My opinion... Life is short. If you really think the guitar will bring you lasting long term pleasure and it's not a financial burden, then buy the guitar.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3019 on: May 10, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »
i had a dream the other night that i was playing a fender telecaster and now i kinda want one.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3020 on: May 12, 2021, 07:13:02 AM »
3 days off of work in a row. It's a stupid thing because I already have time off scheduled for the end of next week. I've just been working a lot of hours lately and feel pretty burnt out...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3021 on: May 12, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »
i had a dream the other night that i was playing a fender telecaster and now i kinda want one.

i had that dream again.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3022 on: May 12, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »
An apartment in New York City. I keep trying to convince myself it wouldn’t be THAT stupid, but yeah, it’s stupid.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3023 on: May 13, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »
This is the second thread I’ve reduced to stunned silence this week. Maybe it’s my username.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3024 on: May 13, 2021, 06:16:18 PM »
This is the second thread I’ve reduced to stunned silence this week. Maybe it’s my username.

N'ah, this thread just isn't that active.

Also, why is an NYC apartment stupid?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3025 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00:43 PM »
...why is an NYC apartment stupid?

Because it gives you opportunities to lust after things like Vision Festival full festival passes, which just went on sale for $375.

I mean I haven't spent money on live music in over a YEAR, right...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3026 on: May 14, 2021, 09:53:46 AM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

We have a winner.  Maybe we can all chip in as a prize
I disagree. Poop emoji items sound reasonable compared to the actual shit cars and motorcycles people are admitting to buying and owning in this thread.

Unless you have driven a NSX, a sports bike or a McLaren, I don't think you can comment on the value their owners get out of them. As long as it fits within their financial goals and it is gotten at a reasonable price for what it is, I don't judge others' hedonistic spending.

In my opinion, cars are death machines that are good for killing ourselves, other random people, our cities and our planet. In some cases they might be a necessary evil, but still evil. I am a driver myself, and I don’t feel I’m being especially judgmental or saying that anyone here is a bad person. But, man, there’s a lot of stupid shit here.

Lol don't you have like three kids?  That's something like 100x the carbon impact of my car and no kid lifestyle.  Go put that poop hat on and sit in the corner.

In a forum thread titled "What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?" attached to a environmental/personal finance blog that advocates for face punching we can't even call buying 6 figure cars stupid?
It seems that a fair number of the "Go for it" responses come from people with low post counts. Maybe they have no idea what a facepunch is or why they might be deserving of one when posting such stuff on an early retirement forum.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3027 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:00 PM »
In a forum thread titled "What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?" attached to a environmental/personal finance blog that advocates for face punching we can't even call buying 6 figure cars stupid?
It seems that a fair number of the "Go for it" responses come from people with low post counts. Maybe they have no idea what a facepunch is or why they might be deserving of one when posting such stuff on an early retirement forum.
I was genuinely astounded that anyone supported my entirely insane desire for a $10k handbag for even an instant. Esp since it's the sort of thing that is a classic target for mockery.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3028 on: May 14, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »

N'ah, this thread just isn't that active.

Also, why is an NYC apartment stupid?

Well, some reasons ...

We’d have to plunk down a bunch of cash. Our stash is decently large enough for our needs, and pulling that much out wouldn’t impact anything as long as we stuck with a studio at the lowest end of the spectrum - and there are quite a few of those - but one of those would also be too small for us to actually live in long term. It would be more like a large hotel room.

Monthly cost would be about $1,000 forever on top of maintaining our current house.

To get there we’d need to spend >4 hours on the road in a bus or car or train each way (plus spend $$ on travel).

Most of the things we’d want to do there would cost more money (though admittedly not really more than the stuff we’d do where we live now - concerts etc. - although there are many more tempting options in NY).

New York isn’t what it used to be (even prepandemic).

Not sure we want to tie ourselves down to that extent.

And ... we’ve  already been through this. About 15 years ago, we DID buy a place there in a 1031 exchange. We rented it out for about 5 years, and our intention was to keep it for ourselves after that. But then I decided to retire, so to be safe we sold it (at a loss). We’ve had mixed feelings ever since.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3029 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:05 PM »
...why is an NYC apartment stupid?

Because it gives you opportunities to lust after things like Vision Festival full festival passes, which just went on sale for $375.

I mean I haven't spent money on live music in over a YEAR, right...

DH has been to that ...

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3030 on: May 15, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

I disagree. Poop emoji items sound reasonable compared to the actual shit cars and motorcycles people are admitting to buying and owning in this thread.

Unless you have driven a NSX, a sports bike or a McLaren, I don't think you can comment on the value their owners get out of them. As long as it fits within their financial goals and it is gotten at a reasonable price for what it is, I don't judge others' hedonistic spending.

In my opinion, cars are death machines that are good for killing ourselves, other random people, our cities and our planet. In some cases they might be a necessary evil, but still evil. I am a driver myself, and I don’t feel I’m being especially judgmental or saying that anyone here is a bad person. But, man, there’s a lot of stupid shit here.

Lol don't you have like three kids?  That's something like 100x the carbon impact of my car and no kid lifestyle.  Go put that poop hat on and sit in the corner.

Lots of people in this forum can afford the handbag, the supercar and the early retirement. If it makes them happy I say go for it.

Again, less environmental impact overall to have handbag, supercar + 1 child versus 3 children and Mustachian lifestyle otherwise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3031 on: May 15, 2021, 05:55:56 AM »

Lots of people in this forum can afford the handbag, the supercar and the early retirement. If it makes them happy I say go for it.

Again, less environmental impact overall to have handbag, supercar + 1 child versus 3 children and Mustachian lifestyle otherwise.

Remember Bloop, we talked about this. The point of promoting frugality here is not to insist that no one ever spend on luxury goods, the point is that the whole world pressures people to spend, and this place is supposed to at least get people to *consider* the alternative of not spending. That way people can challenge the urge to spend, and then determine if something is truly in line with their happiness, and not just a socially programmed consumerist urge.

There is value in pushback against spending, and this is one of the *only* places you can find it.

It's not about telling people what not to buy, no one here has the power to do that. It's about helping people curate what they *really* benefit from spending on, for the sake of their own happiness and well being.

It's about challenging the thinking of "I can afford it".

You have to remember that the vast majority of people here and out in the world aren't overly happy with their jobs, so when someone comes here and says "I've been contemplating renovating my kitchen, it works perfectly fine, but it could be nicer looking". The first question shouldn't be "can they afford it?" the first question should be "are they happy with their life and job?"

You seem to be very happy with your work, you make a lot of money, and you don't spend a lot, except on what really matters to you, which is great for you, but that's not most people, that's not even most people *here*.

If you took a minute each time you read a post about frugality and face punches, and "clown cars", or whatever it is that seems to bother you, pause for a second and think about it not in terms of how it applies to YOU, but in terms of how it applies to the average person who makes far far less than you do and is miserable in their job.

Just because *you* might not need to be constantly challenged on spending doesn't mean that countless other people don't benefit from it. I know that I don't need to be admonished for my luxury spending, so I don't bother talking about it here, and feel no need to justify it.

However, most of my friends and family could use a constant voice of dissent challenging them on their too expensive cars, their way too high grocery bills, their expensive take out habits, their monster spending on beauty, golf, subscriptions, etc, all while complaining about money stress.

When I read something here that doesn't apply to me, I can easily think of dozens of people it does apply to, I don't get huffy that *I* don't need to be pushed to be more frugal, I feel grateful that others are being pushed to challenge their spending so that they can enjoy the freedom and happiness I feel from only spending on what truly enriches my life.

So seriously, if you just take a single second to look at this place through the lense that most people are NOT happy with their jobs, it will really stop bothering you so much.

MMM has made this point abundantly clear on his blog. "I can afford it" directly translates to "I will to work longer at my job for it".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3032 on: May 15, 2021, 08:22:14 AM »
Thanks for putting what I've been feeling into such gracious and articulate words, @Malcat. Condoning things just because you can "afford" them makes no sense in the context of this forum. If the goal is FI and then RE, (and it most certainly is) even if you can afford the moon, buying it is going to impede your progress.

If you love your job and are willing to work longer to afford frivolous things, that's fine for you, but this is probably not the best place to garner consensus for your point of view. It makes me wonder why anyone would even try, when the goals of Mustachianism are so clear. Heck, we even have the term SWAMI for people who love what they do, but as many will attest, life satisfaction increases with FI, so why invent roadblocks to keep yourself from getting there?

I understand the point if this thread is to let off steam about "stupid" material things, but in the middle of it, we have someone vehemently defending them. Why? My first thought is insecurity, which the defender will surely deny.

As someone who once seriously lusted after a Cartier Tank Watch and now rarely wears anything but a much more useful fitbit, to some degree, I get it. However, I've been happily FIRE since 2012. I assure you the confidence and security of FIRE beat the hell out of the short-lived joy of pursuing/aquiring fancypants, frivolous status symbols. That's what MMM's been saying all along.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3033 on: May 15, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »

Remember Bloop, we talked about this. The point of promoting frugality here is not to insist that no one ever spend on luxury goods, the point is that the whole world pressures people to spend, and this place is supposed to at least get people to *consider* the alternative of not spending. That way people can challenge the urge to spend, and then determine if something is truly in line with their happiness, and not just a socially programmed consumerist urge.

There is value in pushback against spending, and this is one of the *only* places you can find it.

It's not about telling people what not to buy, no one here has the power to do that. It's about helping people curate what they *really* benefit from spending on, for the sake of their own happiness and well being.

It's about challenging the thinking of "I can afford it".

You have to remember that the vast majority of people here and out in the world aren't overly happy with their jobs, so when someone comes here and says "I've been contemplating renovating my kitchen, it works perfectly fine, but it could be nicer looking". The first question shouldn't be "can they afford it?" the first question should be "are they happy with their life and job?"

You seem to be very happy with your work, you make a lot of money, and you don't spend a lot, except on what really matters to you, which is great for you, but that's not most people, that's not even most people *here*.

If you took a minute each time you read a post about frugality and face punches, and "clown cars", or whatever it is that seems to bother you, pause for a second and think about it not in terms of how it applies to YOU, but in terms of how it applies to the average person who makes far far less than you do and is miserable in their job.

Just because *you* might not need to be constantly challenged on spending doesn't mean that countless other people don't benefit from it. I know that I don't need to be admonished for my luxury spending, so I don't bother talking about it here, and feel no need to justify it.

However, most of my friends and family could use a constant voice of dissent challenging them on their too expensive cars, their way too high grocery bills, their expensive take out habits, their monster spending on beauty, golf, subscriptions, etc, all while complaining about money stress.

When I read something here that doesn't apply to me, I can easily think of dozens of people it does apply to, I don't get huffy that *I* don't need to be pushed to be more frugal, I feel grateful that others are being pushed to challenge their spending so that they can enjoy the freedom and happiness I feel from only spending on what truly enriches my life.

So seriously, if you just take a single second to look at this place through the lense that most people are NOT happy with their jobs, it will really stop bothering you so much.

MMM has made this point abundantly clear on his blog. "I can afford it" directly translates to "I will to work longer at my job for it".

I agree with everything you say, Malcat. I don't get the sense that anyone in this thread is talking about spending just to keep up with the Joneses or in any of the 'bad orthodox' ways of spending that MMM advocates against. (Or if anyone is thinking in that way, then he/she knows it and is only suggesting it tongue in cheek - given the nature of the very thread.)

My own experience has been that it's good to pick one or two areas of your life where you really like to indulge, and allow yourself to do that. It might be a bike, car, nice sheets, a wardrobe, an expensive kitchen, whatever. Humans have limited discipline and self-control and I find that quarantining the luxury urges to whatever one or two facets of life give you meaning/utility often is a lot easier, and cheaper, in the long run.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:06:04 AM by Bloop Bloop Reloaded »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3034 on: May 15, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
Thanks for putting what I've been feeling into such gracious and articulate words, @Malcat. Condoning things just because you can "afford" them makes no sense in the context of this forum. If the goal is FI and then RE, (and it most certainly is) even if you can afford the moon, buying it is going to impede your progress.

If you love your job and are willing to work longer to afford frivolous things, that's fine for you, but this is probably not the best place to garner consensus for your point of view. It makes me wonder why anyone would even try, when the goals of Mustachianism are so clear. Heck, we even have the term SWAMI for people who love what they do, but as many will attest, life satisfaction increases with FI, so why invent roadblocks to keep yourself from getting there?

I understand the point if this thread is to let off steam about "stupid" material things, but in the middle of it, we have someone vehemently defending them. Why? My first thought is insecurity, which the defender will surely deny.

As someone who once seriously lusted after a Cartier Tank Watch and now rarely wears anything but a much more useful fitbit, to some degree, I get it. However, I've been happily FIRE since 2012. I assure you the confidence and security of FIRE beat the hell out of the short-lived joy of pursuing/aquiring fancypants, frivolous status symbols. That's what MMM's been saying all along.

Same. I used to highly value jewelry, designer clothes, handbags, cosmetics, hair treatments, cars, etc. And I could readily afford them.

I credit this place, back in the day, with making me question if those things really enriched my life. And to my shock and amazement, they DON'T. It turns out I don't actually give a shit about any of that stuff. If I did, I would still be spending on it, but I pushed myself to experiment with living without them, and when I tried it, I was happier.

I came here years ago when that message was still strong. Had I joined now, I likely would have never felt the pressure to at least try living a different way, and I would still probably be carrying a designer bag instead of a sensible backpack, and spackling on expensive cosmetics every morning instead of just sunscreen.

There's value in questioning the things we believe about ourselves, including what we think we want in life.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3035 on: May 15, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
What about those that have already done the questioning themselves and found that the answer was that the item they are lusting after is really worth it? They've done an introspective look at their lives and find that it gives them joy that they feel is worth the expense and what it means to their future financial plans.

I personally find it a little insulting that a mention of wanting a particular luxury item or pricey car is automatically met with words like "frivolous." This isn't a case study thread where someone is asking for help with a dumpster fire of debt and trying to justify why they are paying half of their take-home on a new Escalade.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3036 on: May 15, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »
What about those that have already done the questioning themselves and found that the answer was that the item they are lusting after is really worth it? They've done an introspective look at their lives and find that it gives them joy that they feel is worth the expense and what it means to their future financial plans.

I personally find it a little insulting that a mention of wanting a particular luxury item or pricey car is automatically met with words like "frivolous." This isn't a case study thread where someone is asking for help with a dumpster fire of debt and trying to justify why they are paying half of their take-home on a new Escalade.

I have tried delaying purchases for this reason. If it’s big and I think I want it, I sit on it for a month. It gives me time to figure out whether and how this matters, and filters out the impulse purchases.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3037 on: May 15, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »

I have tried delaying purchases for this reason. If it’s big and I think I want it, I sit on it for a month. It gives me time to figure out whether and how this matters, and filters out the impulse purchases.

Same here. I bought my last fun car about 10 years ago and chewed on the idea for over a year before I finally came across the right car at the right price and decided I really wanted it. I still have the car and would make the same decision again.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3038 on: May 15, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
A while back, I went through a bunch of drama with a portable 2 post lift I bought (MaxJax). It was a piece of shit, despite being ALI Gold (lift safety) certified. I reported them to ALI and returned the lift, and a few months later they went out of business and were bought by BendPak (reputable lift manufacturer).

On a whim I happened to check, and BendPak has redesigned the lift, fixing the problems I had, and they're now available again.

I want one....but they're stupid expensive and if they need a different bolt pattern than the last one, I would either need to cut out / patch my garage floor again or replace the slab before I could install it.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3039 on: May 15, 2021, 03:56:07 PM »
I have a little less than a half tank of gasoline in my Prius so I’m trying to wait for the ridiculous gas pricing to go back below $3 before I fill up.   I am feeling some post COVID wanderlust.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:35:07 PM by Loretta »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3040 on: May 15, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
Despite the name of the thread, this is still the Mr. Money Mustache Forum, subset of the Mr. Money Mustache Blog. You know, the place where facepunches used to be distributed like Halloween candy on October 31st? If you really want to feel insulted, you should do a deep dive into Pete's early stuff...

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3041 on: May 15, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »

You might want to reread the name of the thread - this is for self-admittedly stupid desires.  If you don't think your desire is stupid, then by definition it doesn't belong in this thread.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3042 on: May 15, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »
Despite the name of the thread, this is still the Mr. Money Mustache Forum, subset of the Mr. Money Mustache Blog. You know, the place where facepunches used to be distributed like Halloween candy on October 31st? If you really want to feel insulted, you should do a deep dive into Pete's early stuff...
Please note, as per the title AND the initial post, this entire thread is actually meant to be where you record the stupidest thing you are lusting after. It's for face-punching yourself about the obviously dumb things that you are currently wanting! I find it insane that in a world where people mock Ladies and Their Coach Bags, I was even mildly supported in my irrational desire for a bag that costs 30x that in a thread for face-punching and self-mockery on a forum dedicated to achieving FI. What the heck, how soft have we become!?

PS vintage Coach bags can be found for very little money, rehab like a dream, and are well-made from delicious leather that lasts for decades. A prime Mustachian case for achieving a better outcome through frugality and know-how.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: May 15, 2021, 10:49:07 PM »

If they're posting the item to a thread titled What's the stupidist thing you're lusting after right now?, then it implies they think the item is stupid and they want the facepunches.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #3044 on: May 16, 2021, 02:22:01 AM »

Actually, I don't think there are "lots of people" on this forum who can afford $10K handbags, $150K+ supercars and early retirement.  I think there are some people here who are already FI who can afford that kind of discretionary spending.  I think there are some people here who aren't FI who have incomes that will let them buy those things now.  I don't think there are many people here who aren't already FI for whom spending like that wouldn't involve significant compromises in terms of becoming FI. 

I try not to judge.  I have my own expensive habits (some of which I'm reconsidering these days in terms of carbon footprint), but I'm also already FIREd.  I am not one of the people here who celebrates frugality for its own sake (although maybe I should be), but I try very hard to resist spending based on social expectations or advertising.  I try to be thoughtful about my spending and spend on things that bring me pleasure in accordance with my own values.  I can't criticize someone else for making their own thoughtful choices. 

That said, this is not a Ferrari forum or a Louis Vuitton forum.  It is a FIRE forum.  I think it is reasonable to assume that most people are here because their primary interest is achieving or maintaining FIRE.  Posts that focus on buying luxuries that are antithetical to achieving FIRE are likely to be met with some hard questions.  I like eating meat, but I wouldn't start a post on a vegan forum about the joys of beef and not expect some pushback... 

I've always assumed that the whole point to posting in this thread is to laugh about the "stupid" things we're not buying, ask for facepunches to help us avoid the temptation to buy "stupid" things, or ask for dissenting opinions to help us make a decision about buying a seemingly "stupid" thing that we think makes sense.  I don't think it is to justify our luxury purchases or ask for the community's approval and celebration.  People here celebrate achieving FI, FIRE, or milestones along the way, not spending.  Maybe in broad terms, "stupid" gets defined by the individual and his/her own values, but this is a FIRE community, and I think a reasonable starting point for defining a "stupid" purchase here might be anything that significantly delays FIRE" beyond basics like food, shelter, health, and caring for our families.   

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3045 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:30 AM »

I said there is value in having a space where spending choices are questioned, it's valuable to have a culture here where questioning spending is the default compared to the REST OF THE WORLD where spending is reinforced and encouraged.

If someone is cool with their own luxury spending choices, like I am, then great, they should feel confident enough in those decisions to not get but hurt, or even simpler, don't look for support in a place like this for your luxury spending. I don't post about my luxury spending except to make a point, I don't do a case study asking for tips to spend less and then get defensive about my luxury spending, I just don't give a shit if anyone here agrees with my spending, I don't need anyone's approval. As such, I also don't take any criticism of spending here personally or as an insult.

I respect and value the counter-cultural discourse, even when it doesn't apply to me, because not everything is about me.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3046 on: May 16, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »
This is something I will never have but I dream of owning about 4 washing machines and 4 driers so I can do mutiple loads of wash at the same time and get it over with. Instead of doing one load at a time and taking all day to do 3-4 loads.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3047 on: May 16, 2021, 12:56:09 PM »
This is something I will never have but I dream of owning about 4 washing machines and 4 driers so I can do mutiple loads of wash at the same time and get it over with. Instead of doing one load at a time and taking all day to do 3-4 loads.

This is why I love living in a building with a huge laundry room. We only do laundry once or twice a month, and it only takes an hour and a half, even if we have several loads and blankets to wash. We even have some big industrial machines.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3048 on: May 16, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
I'd "settle" for two sets, lol. On our local walks, DH and I noticed a house with this set-up. We thought it was great. However, when they put the house on the market, there was no evidence of the second set, and now the new owners only have one.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3049 on: May 16, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »
I have a well and a septic system. Our well has been more than adequate for all the years we have lived here but the last few summers we had a drought and multiple washers wouldn't be a good idea to stress out the well. Then with the septic system, all the waste water including the washer goes into it. Tons of water flooding it might not be recommended. So, for those reasons alone, it will never happen here. If I had town sewer and town water, and could do it, I might! The other alternative, which I did many, many years ago it the laundramat. I have no desire to do that either! But, it is a quick way to get a lot of laundry done in no time.