Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 622153 times)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2950 on: December 18, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
Update on previously posted paved driveway desire.

Were more than a 1/3 of the way through winter now. I'm not sure if I do any less work to keep the driveway ice free, but the results are definitely better. I get it cleared off right after a snow and the remaining dusting sublimates away within a couple days. Even after an ice storm I was able to get it back to bare pavement with a little salt. That didn't really work when it was gravel.

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2951 on: December 18, 2020, 03:59:20 PM »
A pair of warm sweatpants
I'm freezing my ass at home, but I DO have pants, so I kick the can with what I have. Unfortunately the warm ones were so worn out I cut them in rags, and I can't go to the thrift store for time constraints.
I just look up to buy some new-new ones from a traditional (non-second hand) retail online and I was shell-shocked at the price

Yeah I got a pair of thrift store old-school thick Hanes sweats last year (wearing them as I type) and they were well worth the $5 I paid for them. I wear them almost every day now, interchanging them with the wool (!!!) lounge pants I also found for $5 at a thrift store.

I'm a wuss in the winter, try to be a BA mustachian and 'get used to the cooler weather' per Pete's recommendation, but I hate being cold. Which is funny because it's not like it gets below 30F often here in NC. I'm probably going to be getting long underwear to go under my pants for Xmas, and I am super stoked about that.

Staying warm in the winter has become something of a hobby for me. Developed over the course of four years, here is my go-to list of ways to keep warm in a cold house, in order of efficiency/effectiveness:

• Hot pad (I made mine out of old jeans and filled it with free ag corn I got from work, which I found retained heat for like an hour or two over rice and doesn't stink like beans). The hot pad is localized heat right on my body so it's more efficient than, say, running a space heater.
  • Wool, wool, glorious wool! I am stockpiling wool clothes for life. I keep a close eye at thrift stores even for really ugly wool items just to wear around the house. And I've been surprised at how many wool socks I have found at said stores, especially during warmer months.
  • Exercise. Blech, the last thing I want to do when it's cold.
  • Space heater. Not my favorite option but better than heating up a whole house by a few degrees nonetheless. Sometimes I put it at the 'door' of my kid's little blanket fort and just hang out in there with him.
  • Plug the drain on your tub while taking a hot shower so that the water heats up the house just a little bit more than it would if it went down the drain.
  • Wear a hat in the house. Lame looking, but a lot of heat is lost from the head, so it helps a lot. At least, for me it does!

Where I am in SoCal, a space heater actually isn't a better option than heating up the whole house (if you have a gas furnace).  We have super-expensive electricity and relatively cheap natural gas.  Per unit of energy, gas is so much more efficient/cheap that it basically costs the same to heat the whole house with the furnace as it does to heat one room with a space heater.

My wife is perennially cold.  Even in SoCal.  Though it doesn't get that cold outside here, insulation tends to be terrible and it does get quite cold inside (overnight, when we never run the heat, it'll drop to the 50s in the house fairly frequently during the winter).  I bought her a 'Comfy' wearable blanket a few days ago, and when she's wearing it it's amazing how much warmer she is - I noticed last night that her hands were very warm even though they're uncovered.  Not the most functional garment for getting much done, but if your goal is to lounge in comfort, it definitely does the job.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2952 on: December 18, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Well did it, ordered. 2021 Acura NSX.  Gotta wait til March to get it though. Gonna be a long winter.

Villanelle

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2953 on: December 18, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
A pair of warm sweatpants
I'm freezing my ass at home, but I DO have pants, so I kick the can with what I have. Unfortunately the warm ones were so worn out I cut them in rags, and I can't go to the thrift store for time constraints.
I just look up to buy some new-new ones from a traditional (non-second hand) retail online and I was shell-shocked at the price

I have a pair of these and very strongly hinted to DH that I want another for Christmas.  We keep the heat set at 62*, and I run cold.  These are so extraordinarily warm.  They make any other pair of sweatpants seem like nothing at all.  They certainly aren't flattering because they are so bulky, but I could not care less about that. And at less than $30, I can justify it, especially because it keeps me from turning up the heat or switching on a space heater.  They are still fairly new (washed maybe ten times, and put in the dryer at least a few of those), but they seem to be holding up well.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZN24SG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Bristles
« Reply #2954 on: December 18, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Well did it, ordered. 2021 Acura NSX.  Gotta wait til March to get it though. Gonna be a long winter.

Awesome! Looking forward to pics when you get it.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2955 on: December 19, 2020, 06:18:32 AM »

Awesome! Looking forward to pics when you get it.

Will do, thanks!   It's black with carbon ceramic rotors and red calipers.  Should look pretty nice. Black Alcantara interior.  They have a $20k bonus right now so the whole thing even with the CCRs was only $159k. 

sonofsven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2956 on: December 19, 2020, 07:04:35 AM »
Staying warm in the winter has become something of a hobby for me. Developed over the course of four years, here is my go-to list of ways to keep warm in a cold house, in order of efficiency/effectiveness:

• Hot pad (I made mine out of old jeans and filled it with free ag corn I got from work, which I found retained heat for like an hour or two over rice and doesn't stink like beans). The hot pad is localized heat right on my body so it's more efficient than, say, running a space heater.
  • Wool, wool, glorious wool! I am stockpiling wool clothes for life. I keep a close eye at thrift stores even for really ugly wool items just to wear around the house. And I've been surprised at how many wool socks I have found at said stores, especially during warmer months.
  • Exercise. Blech, the last thing I want to do when it's cold.
  • Space heater. Not my favorite option but better than heating up a whole house by a few degrees nonetheless. Sometimes I put it at the 'door' of my kid's little blanket fort and just hang out in there with him.
  • Plug the drain on your tub while taking a hot shower so that the water heats up the house just a little bit more than it would if it went down the drain.
  • Wear a hat in the house. Lame looking, but a lot of heat is lost from the head, so it helps a lot. At least, for me it does!
The first thing we tell our kids when they complain about the cold is "go put on a pair of socks."  It's amazing how much of a difference that makes!

Ha! Clothes, too- I walk around the house in shorts and a t shirt all winter because I keep it so warm inside. When I step out to get more firewood it's a "damn, it's cold out!"  moment.

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #2957 on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »

Awesome! I just sold my 570s and miss it already! Donít miss the attention or strangers following me to my house, but I do really miss the car! Enjoy it!

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Bristles
« Reply #2958 on: December 20, 2020, 03:01:47 PM »

Awesome! I just sold my 570s and miss it already! Donít miss the attention or strangers following me to my house, but I do really miss the car! Enjoy it!

What did you replace it with?

I'm looking to get the 570S as my new car but I've heard there's a lot of turbo lag - was this a problem for you?

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #2959 on: December 20, 2020, 03:06:04 PM »

What did you replace it with?

I'm looking to get the 570S as my new car but I've heard there's a lot of turbo lag - was this a problem for you?

I didnít replace it with anything. I do want the 765LT but that will come in time. Going to focus on getting a few rentals in the next 2 years. Then get whatever I want LOL. The car didnít really come alive until 4K, but it was no means sluggish although there was some lag until 4K. Hope that makes sense.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Bristles
« Reply #2960 on: December 20, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »
Yeah it does. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to drive it for myself to see if the lag is okay. Hopefully it is something that can be dealt with by keeping the car in the right gear.

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #2961 on: December 20, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
Yeah it does. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to drive it for myself to see if the lag is okay. Hopefully it is something that can be dealt with by keeping the car in the right gear.

Youíre welcome. Definitely drive it and see. I always rode in between 2.5-3k so the lag was never really there.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
  • Here to learn.
« Reply #2962 on: December 21, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »

Geez you are my hero. That's the poster car for me if I were 14 and had car posters anymore.

For me its ~350 lb iPods

...aka vintage jukeboxes.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2963 on: December 21, 2020, 02:16:15 PM »
This feels appropriate for the thread - what you do feeds into what you want so changing what you pay attention to can change your wanting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salgtCpST3A

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2964 on: December 22, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »

The McLaren is a gorgeous car, they were on my list but ultimately since it's going to be my daily driver I decided to go Honda instead. It doesn't help that the nearest McLaren dealer is several hours from me.  Hopefully the NSX is stealth enough that creepers aren't following me around 🤨. The McLaren is definitely more exotic looking. 

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #2965 on: December 22, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »

The McLaren is a gorgeous car, they were on my list but ultimately since it's going to be my daily driver I decided to go Honda instead. It doesn't help that the nearest McLaren dealer is several hours from me.  Hopefully the NSX is stealth enough that creepers aren't following me around 🤨. The McLaren is definitely more exotic looking.

You picked an awesome car. I looked closely at that. Fortunately, my Mclaren dealer is only 20 minutes away so really lucked out there.

Enjoy your car. Post pics once itís acquired

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2966 on: December 22, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
I'm lusting after a Class B RV.  I've been watching a lot of van conversion videos.  I would love to be able to travel freely.  The thing is I hate driving big vehicles.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2967 on: December 24, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »