Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1333871 times)

ak907

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2250 on: September 13, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
I have just about convinced myself to buy a stupidly expensive electric bike ($6700), called a wattwagon for getting to my new (much higher paying) job downtown. It would be the last American built frame in my size the startup has.
  The deal is I could take public transit, drive or bike ride. Public transit will take ~1 hour each way, plus ~$1500 a year. I could drive, the drive there is not bad, 32 minutes to cover the 9 miles around the typical time I would go in, but the drive back, due to road direction changes and traffic patterns, is predicted to take 40 to 1 hour and 45 minutes every day driving back. When I came back from my interviews it took and 1 hour 15 min one time and 2 hours to get back the other. I simply do not want to spend that much time commuting.

The best solution seems to be biking. On a regular bike google predicts it will take 48 minutes. I figure with an e bike I can probably get the time down to car speed or a little longer ~32-38 minutes. I do not honestly think I can do 20 miles a day on a bike 3-5 times a week and feel ok. I have back issues that sometimes render it very difficult for me to walk. Overexercise, like to much time on my road bike, has been a trigger in the past.

I could go with something cheaper, but I am leery. My wife currently uses an ebike to get to and from work that we got on craigslist for $1500 (originally a $4000) bike that had a 5 year warranty. And we have needed it!! We have had to have the battery replaced (weak, limited range), the motor (gears in the motor housing destroyed themselves), the rear wheel replaced (bearings shot), chain and cassette replaced (wear and tear, normal) in the 1 year we have owned it. It just seems that if you actually use these things for decently high speed, long distance commuting they get worn down fast. I have been unable to find a bike on craigslist or facebook with enough power, speed (need 28mph pedelec otherwise to slow time wise and to keep up with traffic), and range in the month or so I have been searching. I could buy new one from a shop, but the warranties are pretty short, most do not have the combo of range (general rule of thumb I have found is expect half the range promised if you are going to be riding high speed/long distance in cold and hot temperatures 15-96 degrees F), speed, comfort, low maintenance, and reliability I would like.

I like this bike for the comfort (front AIR suspension, rear seatpost susp.), speed (28 mph), range (45miles), brakes (sooo many manufactures put out these 60-70 lb machines capable of 30 miles an hour with single or dual pot brakes, 4 pot are so much better and marginally more expensive and way more safe, I do not get it!), integrated brake light (safer in traffic!), integrated hub gears and belt drive (sooo much less wear and tear replacement and maintenance!), fully weatherproof (actually meant to and ok to ride in rain/snow!), Ti fram is nice plus, great rack for paniers. I don't like that it is a bit ugly and a hodgepodge looking thing, grip shifter (ick, but thats what works with IGH), price is very high and that any warranty work, while unlikely with these components, will be pretty awful as this is a very small startup company building the things (practically more a prebuilt kit bike).

Mostly this is to save me TIME. Otherwise largely unjustifiable vs just taking the easy route and just driving. At my salary it easily paid off in less than a year, time value of money wise. It also is way cheaper than the increased taxes alone from moving in closer to work, even more so when you include that rent would increase dramatically, we no longer would have a garden, etc. as well.
  Oh, importantly with something so expensive, my work offers "secured" bike parking.

PS I have realized fuel efficient cars are actually remarkably cost, time, comfort and maintenance efficient (all in running/insurance costs for car are probably $250 a month for me) while looking into this (at least if your work pays for parking, I would probably have to pay $4000 a year in parking alone for work if it was not provided).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:23:46 AM by ak907 »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: September 13, 2019, 11:30:56 AM »
I'm really wanting a truck right now.  I had to fire the guy that was doing (well, not doing, actually) the lawn care at my rental property a few weeks ago and I haven't found a good replacement yet, so I had to put a bunch of dirty lawn tools inside my car to head over there and do it myself.  Oh, the rental is 250 miles away, btw.  #landlordlyfe

A truck would've made things much easier.  However, this is insane thinking for the following reasons:
-I've owned two trucks before, I hated the crummy fuel economy, and I hated the poor driving dynamics.  Each truck only lasted ~6 months with me. 
-I've NEVER had to do this before.  I SHOULDN'T have to do this in the future. 
-I work 1.5 miles from work, and BARELY need the vehicle I have.  Why would I want two?
-I already have a trailer that can do 90% of all the truck stuff I need to do. 
-A truck just doesn't fit into the budget, and trucks cost a fucking fortune.  Why does a 200k mile Ford Ranger cost $5000?

But even still, I find myself browsing craigslist, looking at clean 2015 4 cylinder Tacomas, fantasizing about how good they'd be at holding dirty things.  WTF is wrong with me?

ak907

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2252 on: September 13, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »
Why does a 200k mile Ford Ranger cost $5000?

But even still, I find myself browsing craigslist, looking at clean 2015 4 cylinder Tacomas, fantasizing about how good they'd be at holding dirty things.  WTF is wrong with me?
Too bad, I was forced to sell my old Ranger a few years back for only $600 with only 140k. I get it, there is something appealing in rugged, honest simplicity. The functionality is definitely nice. The costs can be high for most (my ford ranger cost me next to nothing to run though).

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #2253 on: September 13, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
A family car like Honda odessey. I own a 2012 civic.
As an owner of a Honda Odyssey, I can categorically state that this is NOT a stupid thing to lust after.  Need to haul a bunch of people somewhere in relative comfort?  Haul lumber?  Sheets of plywood?  Furniture?  No problem.  A nine-foot-long replacement window?  Yup.  1,000 lbs of tile and thinset?  Done that.  Six kids (three in car seats), two parents, double stroller, portacrib, diapers, and suitcases for everyone for a cross-country vacation?  Done it more times than I can count.

Now, if you're a single person with no kids and only go to the hardware store once every six months, then yeah, a minivan probably isn't for you.
Oops...I forgot the "stupidest" part in the question. It is definitely not stupid...just the thing I'm lusting right now. I have 2 kids and civic is uncomfortable for example to put 2  mini bicycles and go to park. I'm also regretting that I did not buy a bigger car to start with...I was a bachelor at that time.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2254 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »
For the many reasons already stated, combined with fuel mileage and being fun to drive, I would argue that the minivan in general, and the Honda Odyssey in particular, is the best value car you can get.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2255 on: September 13, 2019, 10:59:22 PM »
My 35 year old dryer- it was a basic model Kenmore  is no longer blowing hot air.  I'm amazed it lasted so long and we never even had to repair it.  It's original to the house and it's the last of our appliances to go.  Now I'm debating- do I repair it, replace it with something cheap or get what I really want.  I REALLY want a heat pump dryer because they are ventless and energy efficient.   But they are $!600!!!  We are venting the current dryer to the garage, which makes it dirty with lint and adds humidity - we have to open the garage door while it's running.   My husband is looking into fixing it.  I hear they don't build them like they use to

The main reason why a dryer doesn't heat up anymore is due to a clogged vent hose that overheats the element and trips the thermal fuse.  Its a ~$6 part and is maybe 20 minutes to replace.  Just get a multi-meter and check your fuses.  Oh and clean your vent hose. 

If the element is bad (you'll see that the wire is not continuous, though a multi-meter can be used there too), that's no biggie either, replacing the element on an old school electric dryer is stupid easy also.  I went with OEM parts on mine because I was feeling fancy, and it was still only like $40.  Generic parts are like $20. 

I get wanting fancy new stuff, but you can keep an older style dryer going for a LOOONG time.

Yeah I want to go from our existing electric dryer to a gas powered one. We use ours a lot and I know it uses a lot of power.. Have I measured this and calculated the payback?.. Noo!

The "problem" is the 22 year old off brand dryer has had two new drum bearings and 2 rubs strips at the top/front of the drum. Honestly this thing is so simple its hard to see why it won't last forever?

Maybe the dream of the gas dryer is a few years off cus I certainly can't bring myself to scrap a perfectly working dryer.

Oh I do take it apart and do a deep clean of all the fire starting lint every 2 to 3 years. I get a ton of lint out of it each time.

I always take the drum out because there is is usually some BURNT lint that has gotten through the holes in the back of the drum and have turned crispy on the glowing red heating elements back there.

Its a little scary to be honest.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #2256 on: September 14, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »
For the many reasons already stated, combined with fuel mileage and being fun to drive, I would argue that the minivan in general, and the Honda Odyssey in particular, is the best value car you can get.
Great, after seeing all the messages on Odessey, I'm even more hooked to it.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #2257 on: September 14, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
Definitely my dream sedan. 

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/d/saint-louis-2007-lexus-ls-460l/6978140848.html

It’s pretty and 13 grand. Sweet.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2258 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/d/saint-louis-2007-lexus-ls-460l/6978140848.html

16/24 mpg, not stellar. I've heard they are very nice and quite reliable though. I don't know about you but at 202.8 inches long it would be a very tight fit in our garage.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #2259 on: September 15, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »

16/24 mpg, not stellar. I've heard they are very nice and quite reliable though. I don't know about you but at 202.8 inches long it would be a very tight fit in our garage.

I could do without the long version but I like it.  I think that’s why this one has sat for while. I do lots  of road trips, this would be so nice.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2260 on: September 16, 2019, 05:50:29 AM »
This may be rather odd but I am lusting after nicer landscaping. To be fair I am working on fixing parts of it. Problem is I start wanting to spend a bunch of money on trees/plants etc. I am trying to make it more maintenance free.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2261 on: September 16, 2019, 06:31:30 AM »
This may be rather odd but I am lusting after nicer landscaping. To be fair I am working on fixing parts of it. Problem is I start wanting to spend a bunch of money on trees/plants etc. I am trying to make it more maintenance free.

Me too. We just moved into a new build on 10 acres. It basically had no landscaping except a field. And near our house, only mud from the construction grading. But it's a huge undertaking. Having someone else do the work seems really expensive. Buying trees of a decent size with a warranty is obnoxiously expensive.

We've planted about 100 trees from the forest service, which is fairly economical, but they're basically little sticks that are a foot high. Really hard to mow around and maintain. They won't even resemble real trees for at least 5 years. I bought 13 trees from a local retailer, but by the time they were purchased and planted, it was $200 per tree.

And the landscaping? I had a couple of bids to implement a low maintenance landscape around the house and they came in at $10,000. JFC.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2262 on: September 16, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

Ooh, this one! I spent a bunch on shrubs and perennials this spring and my only regret was that I followed the advice of some gardening books that said to buy enough so that it looks full from the outset rather than waiting for them to grow to full size. Now that it's the end of the season, I have to thin some plants out (either re-homing them or potentially wasting $!).

Two pieces of advice:
1) avoid things that are described as difficult to grow
2) landscape fabric is evil. It'll seduce you with it's promise of weed suppression, but if you ever need to change your garden design, you're stuck with ripping it out while there's tons of mulch over it. Cardboard is the way to go.

Newspaper works well too. It compost right into the soil every year. I’ve been putting landscape fabric down where I am moving a ton of river rock. I wouldn’t use it in normal landscape. Also this is a good time of year to buy some plants. I’ve hit up the deep discount rack at Lowes for a bunch of hostas and the local nursery has 40% off shrubs.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: September 16, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »

2) landscape fabric is evil. It'll seduce you with it's promise of weed suppression, but if you ever need to change your garden design, you're stuck with ripping it out while there's tons of mulch over it. Cardboard is the way to go.

The way I dealt with this problem is by uncovering the area and then slicing an X through the landscape fabric with a knife. Plant the item in the X and push the mulch back into place.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2264 on: September 23, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
A portable kayak.  I really want to get into kayaking more seriously, but I'm pretty hampered by where I live (SoCal, no inland kayaking within an hour's drive).  There is some kayaking in bays/inlets, though it's 20-40 minutes of driving, then fighting for parking, and lugging a kayak several hundred feet.  I also don't have the room for a rigid kayak at home. 

However, I've been toying with the idea of a decent inflatable that I could attach to my e-bike trailer.  I think I'm trying to balance aspirations and reality; it sounds great to bike to the beach, hop on a kayak, and bike back.  However, it might be enough extra effort that I wouldn't do it often enough to justify - riding to the beach (7 miles each way), inflating the kayak, paddling around, deflating, drying and repacking the kayak, and riding back isn't a quick trip.  That would be several hours, and I don't often get those blocks of time.

Nevertheless, it's fun to fantasize a bit.  Currently favoring the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite.

Time for my facepunch - I bought it.  I did do a test ride to the beach and it actually seemed quite doable, but couldn't get myself to get over the price hurdle.  However, I started monitoring the various used swap sites and this kayak popped up eventually.  It's actually new/unused, as the previous owners never got around to trying it out.  I was able to negotiate them down to half price, so I jumped on it. 

Slowing down my FI journey a touch, but it's an activity that I've wanted to get into for a long time, and one that I envision playing a large part in my post-FIRE life (in a much more amenable geographic location).  Still want to enjoy the journey!

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #2265 on: September 23, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
A portable kayak.  I really want to get into kayaking more seriously, but I'm pretty hampered by where I live (SoCal, no inland kayaking within an hour's drive).  There is some kayaking in bays/inlets, though it's 20-40 minutes of driving, then fighting for parking, and lugging a kayak several hundred feet.  I also don't have the room for a rigid kayak at home. 

However, I've been toying with the idea of a decent inflatable that I could attach to my e-bike trailer.  I think I'm trying to balance aspirations and reality; it sounds great to bike to the beach, hop on a kayak, and bike back.  However, it might be enough extra effort that I wouldn't do it often enough to justify - riding to the beach (7 miles each way), inflating the kayak, paddling around, deflating, drying and repacking the kayak, and riding back isn't a quick trip.  That would be several hours, and I don't often get those blocks of time.

Nevertheless, it's fun to fantasize a bit.  Currently favoring the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite.

Time for my facepunch - I bought it.  I did do a test ride to the beach and it actually seemed quite doable, but couldn't get myself to get over the price hurdle.  However, I started monitoring the various used swap sites and this kayak popped up eventually.  It's actually new/unused, as the previous owners never got around to trying it out.  I was able to negotiate them down to half price, so I jumped on it. 

Slowing down my FI journey a touch, but it's an activity that I've wanted to get into for a long time, and one that I envision playing a large part in my post-FIRE life (in a much more amenable geographic location).  Still want to enjoy the journey!
cool! I’m interested in kayaking too. Never heard of a portable one.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2266 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
I just saw this on youtube from Hand Tool Rescue...

It's an antique apple peeler. about $650 on ebay. I just want one. I don't even make apple pies very often. But what a tool!

Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDam9xyM3U

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2267 on: September 25, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »

It's an antique apple peeler. about $650 on ebay. I just want one. I don't even make apple pies very often. But what a tool!

Demonstration:
There's an even better, smaller, more counter-friendly version that's ubiquitous today.  Behold!  This one'll even slice and core the apple for you at the same time!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2268 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »

Demonstration:

I think Kitchenaid makes one for the stand mixer. 

I've been really considering getting an InstaPot.  I even have a gift card that I could use for it.  But do I really want *another* kitchen appliance?  I have a feeling that if I wait for Black Friday I'll either get it much cheaper or not want it anymore. 

CharlesBronzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2269 on: September 27, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »
Google Nest Hub Max.

I can finally see all those digital pictures of my kids that’s buried in a hard drive somewhere.

https://store.google.com/uk/product/google_nest_hub_max

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2270 on: September 29, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
There's an even better, smaller, more counter-friendly version that's ubiquitous today.  Behold!  This one'll even slice and core the apple for you at the same time!

Yes, I already have one of these- gently used from a thrift store for about 5$. I just enjoy the machine gun like quality of the expensive antique. There's no way I'd ever need or spend 650$ on one. But if someone gave it to me, I'd have to think about opening a bakery.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2271 on: October 02, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Rockettes tickets for Christmas Day.  I saw it years ago at Thanksgiving, but I think my kid would enjoy it.  But after adding TicketBastard's $29/ticket fee we're looking at $200/ticket to not be on the last row of the third mezzanine. 

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #2272 on: October 03, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »
Oculus Rift S Virtual Reality head set. I have a gaming computer that is more than capable of running this headset and ever since I was a child I have dreamed of a bad ass VR experience in gaming. Currently $400.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2273 on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »
I want a sunrise alarm clock. I wake up super easily to sunrise, but now that Winter is approaching and its basically dark all the time, I am dreading the phone alarm wake ups in the dark. All of the nice clocks seem a little $$ to me

I also really want a good pair of kitchen scissors. It's only a $20 purchase, but I'm making myself wait until I can't deal with my old crappy ones anymore

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2274 on: October 07, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »
I want a sunrise alarm clock. I wake up super easily to sunrise, but now that Winter is approaching and its basically dark all the time, I am dreading the phone alarm wake ups in the dark. All of the nice clocks seem a little $$ to me

I also really want a good pair of kitchen scissors. It's only a $20 purchase, but I'm making myself wait until I can't deal with my old crappy ones anymore

I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but you can buy a timer plug for ~$20 to flip on a lamp at a prescribed time. We have a lamp in our bedroom that clicks on at 6 am every weekday, works pretty well for us.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2275 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:06 AM »

I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but you can buy a timer plug for ~$20 to flip on a lamp at a prescribed time. We have a lamp in our bedroom that clicks on at 6 am every weekday, works pretty well for us.
Any chance you could post a link to the one you bought?  I'd like one!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2276 on: October 07, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »

I've got a smart plug hooked to a lamp that we rarely use.  I've been thinking of moving it back to my bedroom for a similar effect.  Or grab a smart bulb on Black Friday to go into that lamp.  The Hue lights I believe will do the sunrise thing, but if you don't already have the bridge and stuff for it, is probably more expensive than the alarm clock. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2277 on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »

Well, I had a day off and was able to try out my 'master plan' - load the kayak up on my bike trailer, e-bike down to the ocean, inflate the kayak there, paddle around for a while, then tear down and bike back home.

The verdict?  It was awesome.  I was a bit worried that I might be exhausted, but it wasn't bad at all (thanks again e-bike).  I even managed a couple of errands on the way.  It is a significant time commitment, and I probably won't have those chunks of time more than once every 2 weeks or so, but it was very gratifying to manage all of this without the need for a car.  All told, about 20 miles of biking (6 of those due to the errands), and several miles of kayaking.  Got a ways to go in building up my kayaking aptitude/endurance/confidence to venture further.

The entire exercise feels like it's getting me closer to the ideal of 'build the life you want, then retire to it.'  I had a blast, but unfortunately very little time to do it repeatedly.  Hopefully I can engineer both the retirement and a move to someplace that's more kayak-friendly in short order.

As for my stupid item to lust after...Ortlieb Panniers. 

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2278 on: October 07, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »
Right now my stupid lust item is Christmas lights. Specifically, Christmas lights synchronized to music. I won't even be buying any lights this year and my my planned $500 budget was already blown to smithereens when I found a good deal on a set of four Lightorama controllers. Adding in several hundred feet of extension cord, an FM transmitter, and other misc. electronics, I'm hoping to stay under $750 for this year.

On the plus side, since the lights will only be lit part of the time, my December electric bill might go down a few bucks. However, for some reason, my wife isn't buying my "this is an investment, we can't afford NOT to do it" rationale.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2279 on: October 07, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
Right now my stupid lust item is Christmas lights. Specifically, Christmas lights synchronized to music. I won't even be buying any lights this year and my my planned $500 budget was already blown to smithereens when I found a good deal on a set of four Lightorama controllers. Adding in several hundred feet of extension cord, an FM transmitter, and other misc. electronics, I'm hoping to stay under $750 for this year.

On the plus side, since the lights will only be lit part of the time, my December electric bill might go down a few bucks. However, for some reason, my wife isn't buying my "this is an investment, we can't afford NOT to do it" rationale.

You're spending more on Christmas lights than we've spent on Christmas gifts some years...

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #2280 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
A family car like Honda odessey. I own a 2012 civic.
As an owner of a Honda Odyssey, I can categorically state that this is NOT a stupid thing to lust after.  Need to haul a bunch of people somewhere in relative comfort?  Haul lumber?  Sheets of plywood?  Furniture?  No problem.  A nine-foot-long replacement window?  Yup.  1,000 lbs of tile and thinset?  Done that.  Six kids (three in car seats), two parents, double stroller, portacrib, diapers, and suitcases for everyone for a cross-country vacation?  Done it more times than I can count.

Now, if you're a single person with no kids and only go to the hardware store once every six months, then yeah, a minivan probably isn't for you.

We bought a relatively new (neused) Honda Odyssey (now sold) in 2006 with our 2nd kid coming along with our dog. The one that was available and in our price range had the leather seat and extras. It was the "nicest" by far vehicle we've owned, and it drove like a dream. It was also super useful when we were rehabbing our house, able to fit big pieces of sheetrock, lumber, etc.

So I loved that car. My coworker otoh is about 1 year from launching her two kids to college and is "over" minivans. Her ideal would be to get a sports car but needs something that seats more people. So she isn't sure what she wants, as long as it isn't a "minivan".  Personally my dream vehicle is a Subaru outback, but they are too expensive for me.

She'll probably get a big SUV. Which is a mini-van that just cost 50% more.

The stupid thing I'm lusting after is a 65  - 75" TV.

I've got a 10 year old 47" LED that still works mostly fine (had to replace a circuit board because the IR sensor went crazy and not they physical power button doesn't work). It's fine.

But with the commodification of TVs, I could get a huge one and put it on the wall for a good bit less than $1000.

But I don't even watch much TV.

It's a stupid thing, but I keep looking at on-line deals.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2281 on: October 07, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

The stupid thing I'm lusting after is a 65  - 75" TV.

I've got a 10 year old 47" LED that still works mostly fine (had to replace a circuit board because the IR sensor went crazy and not they physical power button doesn't work). It's fine.

But with the commodification of TVs, I could get a huge one and put it on the wall for a good bit less than $1000.

But I don't even watch much TV.

It's a stupid thing, but I keep looking at on-line deals.

I did that for just under a year.  Our 10-year old 46" LED then died abruptly this summer, so I took that as a sign that it was time to make the leap.  I had mostly been look at 55" TVs, but ended up springing for a 65".  It was a Vizio for a bit under $500.  I got a 4 series TCL at first, but we were having some sound issues and I returned it. 

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2282 on: October 07, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
RE...

because I'm not FI.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2283 on: October 07, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »
She'll probably get a big SUV. Which is a mini-van that just cost 50% more.
I emphatically disagree, because SUVs, even big ones, somehow manage to have *less* interior utility than a minivan.
RE...

because I'm not FI.
Hey now, this thread is for stupid things to lust after!  RE is definitely not stupid!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2284 on: October 07, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
Hey now, this thread is for stupid things to lust after!  RE is definitely not stupid!
[/quote]

Hehe...I'm just wallowing...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2285 on: October 07, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
I emphatically disagree, because SUVs, even big ones, somehow manage to have *less* interior utility than a minivan.

DW ran in a group relay race this weekend, and they used her minivan. She said the other ladies made a number of comments about how nice of a car it was. Minivans are great!

(I do have have to wonder, though, if they would have said something different is we hadn’t spent two hours vacuuming and scrubbing and Windex-ing and Armor All-ing the filthy, kid-hauling beast...)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2286 on: October 07, 2019, 10:59:46 PM »
DW ran in a group relay race this weekend, and they used her minivan. She said the other ladies made a number of comments about how nice of a car it was. Minivans are great!

We replaced our 2009 Sienna with a 2017 Highlander last fall and my wife still comments on how she misses how practical the minivan was!  We got a great deal on a lightly used, late model Limited with all sorts of fancy options and features, but that plain vanilla minivan was the best car ever - other than not having a back-up camera.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #2287 on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:42 AM »
Well, I had a day off and was able to try out my 'master plan' - load the kayak up on my bike trailer, e-bike down to the ocean, inflate the kayak there, paddle around for a while, then tear down and bike back home.

(snip)

As for my stupid item to lust after...Ortlieb Panniers.

Awesome! I love putting together atypical muscle (mostly) powered adventures from home. So much more elegant than loading your gear in a car to enjoy the great outdoors.

I too lust for a pair of Ortlieb panniers... definitely unnecessary in my situation but think of the possibilities

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2288 on: October 08, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
Still want a C8 Corvette...

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2289 on: October 08, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
Buy it!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2290 on: October 08, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
Buy it!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an MR2 Turbo and C5 Z06 to sell before it's even remotely a possibility, lol.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2291 on: October 08, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
A Stand Up Paddle Board. One from Red Paddle Co. >.<

Update: I got the SUP board (second hand). And I got certified as a SUP instructor back in May. It is every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Live your spendy dreams, friends. Live your spendy dreams.

Agreed! I just bought myself a KitchenAid mixer. Got the mixer and bowl used from Craigslist, and the standard mixing attachments from Amazon. $85 all in, and so far I’ve made blueberry muffins, banana bread, and soon I’ll need to make more muffins again. So glad I finally got it.

I've been lusting after a KitchenAid for years, and I've seriously looked into second hand options but so far I haven't been lucky yet. $75 is a steal!!! The one I want (the Heavy Duty) is €500-€600 in here and the cheapest I've seen it used is €350. I'd happily take the risk of buying used for a lower price but this is quite a lot of money for something you're not sure actually works like it should. I've been gifted non-brand name kitchen gadgets that took up space in people's kitchen cupboards but no one I know owns expensive kitchen stuff.

BoomBoomMancini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2292 on: October 08, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
Everybody keeps talking about C8 Corvettes.

I just want a C5...

Phillip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2293 on: October 08, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
Roasted peanuts.

I buy them at Pali, which is owned by Walmart, so they only cost like 1300 colones (~$2 or so, depending on the exchange rate), but I eat all of them in a day. Like 2400+ calories, and I have no willpower. Plus if I just buy veggies at la fruiteria and meat at la carniceria, I spend like $3 per day on quality food.

But I can't stop buying those damn roasted peanuts.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2294 on: October 09, 2019, 05:53:12 AM »
A Stand Up Paddle Board. One from Red Paddle Co. >.<

Update: I got the SUP board (second hand). And I got certified as a SUP instructor back in May. It is every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Live your spendy dreams, friends. Live your spendy dreams.

Agreed! I just bought myself a KitchenAid mixer. Got the mixer and bowl used from Craigslist, and the standard mixing attachments from Amazon. $85 all in, and so far I’ve made blueberry muffins, banana bread, and soon I’ll need to make more muffins again. So glad I finally got it.

I've been lusting after a KitchenAid for years, and I've seriously looked into second hand options but so far I haven't been lucky yet. $75 is a steal!!! The one I want (the Heavy Duty) is €500-€600 in here and the cheapest I've seen it used is €350. I'd happily take the risk of buying used for a lower price but this is quite a lot of money for something you're not sure actually works like it should. I've been gifted non-brand name kitchen gadgets that took up space in people's kitchen cupboards but no one I know owns expensive kitchen stuff.

Everything I've read says that the older ones are actually way better quality than the new ones.  I saved up gift cards and stuff a few years ago and bought the 6 qt version in cobalt blue (it looks like Julia Child's) and I don't regret it, but I might have a hard time passing on an older version for < $100 if the opportunity presented itself.  I finally got my appliance lift installed for it and that has been amazing.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2295 on: October 09, 2019, 06:02:46 AM »
Less animals? It's not stupid in one sense because they are costing us a fortune. We did put down a cat this year who was in liver failure for 3 years. Yep 3 years! He cost us a fortune in medication and vet visits. Now we have 2 dogs and 1 cat left. Just as I thought our pet cost were going down our dog has a nagging cough and recently had 2 surgeries to remove benign tumors from his ear. Grrrrr! The cat had surgery to remove a couple rotten teeth. It's rather stupid because I do love our animals and it's not their fault they have health issues. I certainly don't wish death upon any of them.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2296 on: October 09, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
Scaffolding.  What does an old school teacher need scaffolding for?  No idea, but I still want it.  That and a long arm quilting machine.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2297 on: October 09, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
Scaffolding.  What does an old school teacher need scaffolding for?  No idea, but I still want it.  That and a long arm quilting machine.

Scaffolding is much safer than a ladder for a lot of projects. At least that was my justification for not posting scaffolding as a stupid lust!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2298 on: October 09, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Everybody keeps talking about C8 Corvettes.

I just want a C5...

My 04 Z06 will be on Bring a Trailer in about a week :)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2299 on: October 15, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
Went online and looked at new Subaru Outbacks today then went to Expedia and priced a couple trips. Guess I was in a spendy mood.

The 0% financing offer on the Subaru was tempting but our 2010 Subaru is paid off and running fine. I’d rather save and see how long this car will last. Goal is to pay for the next car we buy in cash. We will pay off our 2nd car loan in Feb. (Full disclosure, we have a mortgage and are still finishing out my last student loan - with those we are better off investing than paying off loans early so we are in no hurry)

And as for the trip... I’m always lusting after a trip to Europe. I went so far as to price a trip to Paris. We really can’t afford that. But I may keep an eye out for cheap tickets to Mexico for the spring. My sister lives in Mexico and I would like to visit before the niece goes off to college. If we can find cheap tickets then the rest of the trip will be almost free.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!