Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 254245 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1650 on: August 07, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
New "fancy" underwear. I've had the same pairs since before kids, (my kids are 11 & 12) & they have seen better days. I've priced out replacement pairs for what I want, and it's a lot. I can get a more questionable version on Amazon for $10 for a 6 pack. I kind of want to save some of my flex money & splurge.

No new underwear in 12 years? There's frugal and then there is suffering. :( I'm not sure what "fancy" is for you but for me it's underwear that is not from Target or sold in a multi-pack. A couple years ago I needed new underwear (time to give up the maternity underwear considering my youngest was 6 then) and I decided to try an actual underwear store. I really like the ones I got from Soma, the vanishing edge ones is particular. But if you don't want to be that fancy, I've found underwear I like a lot from Target.

@Freckles - I used to be a spendypants, so I had plenty of underwear to rotate through as some needed to be tossed. Also, shout out to the manufacturers (in this case, Hanky Panky) for lasting this long & being awesome & not falling apart. But, $22/pair for current replacements? No way. I'm thinking of the Victoria's Secret option, which I've also tried. There is a very specific cut/fabric that I want to replace my previous ones. Otherwise. . . wedgies.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1651 on: August 07, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
The vanishing edge ones by Soma don't cause wedgies. They have this grippy stuff on the edges that sticks to your skin and nothing rides up up. I don't remember how much they are, I don't think as much a $22 a pair, but not exactly cheap either. Maybe the have some coupons or deals for first time orders? I think that's probably how I decided it was acceptable.

OK, I checked. I got pretty basic ones that are $16 each, but they have a "buy 3, get 2 free" deal, so they come out to $9.60 each. Not bad. They've held up well for me so far, and I'm not nice to them. Washer, dryer, no special care. https://www.soma.com/store/product/vanishing+edge+microfiber+hipster/560000792?color=001&catId=cat4200004
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:15:16 PM by Freckles »

Abe Froman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1652 on: August 08, 2018, 06:39:42 AM »
This !!!!

Love that you can beach them as well.
https://southerlyyachts.com/images/38/nivo/275.jpg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:41:17 AM by Abe Froman »

Khaetra

• Bristles
« Reply #1653 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
A giant, blow-up Halloween Dragon!  I saw one on display (already?!?) through the window of Old-Time Pottery when I drove by.  I also want a Christmas version.  But reality sets in, and besides having nowhere to store it my neighbors blow-up decorations have been stolen/vandalized over the years, so I will keep my money and admire them from afar.

Prodigal Daughter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1654 on: August 08, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
Ok, since I see some Porsches and boats, I'll play...

A Chanel handbag, an Hermes scarf, a Louis Vuitton coin purse, and a Gucci wallet. (I fell down a big YouTube luxury hole...which is why I'm back on the MMM forum, trying to get my head straight!)

Mrs. D.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1655 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.

Prodigal Daughter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1656 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Quality stainless steel pots and pans (All-clad or Calphalon). I'm finally ditching the nonstick stuff after years of use now that the coating is starting to flake off. I've replaced 4 pieces so far and I'm never going back.

Oooh, I JUST did this! Except I don't have the budget for All-clad, but someone in the Choose FI facebook group recommended a set through Walmart that was America's Test Kitchen approved and it's been SO NICE to put away the peeling nonstick pans and re-learn to cook on stainless. (It's what I grew up with.) I love using metal utensils again. And it's super satisfying to scrub them back to shiny after cooking on them. In fact, it was cooking on a stainless skillet this summer at an AirBnB that made me go back to them!

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1657 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
At the moment, I'm lusting after two things:
1) A two-post lift to make it easier to work on our cars.  It would cost about $2,000.  My car is worth *maybe* $800.
2) Flight instruction and my own airplane(s).  At least three planes, to be specific: an ultralight for just sightseeing around the area, a bush plane (KitFox? Cub? I don't know) for going off the beaten path, and an RV-10 for cross-country flying.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #1658 on: August 09, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
A used Porsche Panamera.  It's funny because they're popping up on the adds on this forum every time I sign in too. My wife keeps telling me to get one but just haven't been able to make the leap yet.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1659 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
A used Porsche Panamera.  It's funny because they're popping up on the adds on this forum every time I sign in too. My wife keeps telling me to get one but just haven't been able to make the leap yet.

Looks like the cheapest ones are about $25-30k on Autotrader. They were $90k+ when new, so quite a discount now.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #1660 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »

Looks like the cheapest ones are about $25-30k on Autotrader. They were $90k+ when new, so quite a discount now.

Yeah, I've been casually looking for months.  That's why they pop up on adds anywhere on the internet for me.  Most I see under 50k miles can be had for about $35k with AWD.  Don't want just rear wheel drive.  If it was a choice of front wheel or AWD drive I would be happy with front wheel.

I like white with black wheels.