Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 226089 times)

PJC74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1550 on: June 12, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
outdoor shower - fancy vinyl fence and leftover composite decking for the floor -
I was going to put plumbing in for hot & cold water but instead going to go with a solar outdoor shower for fraction of the cost.
All told about $1500. We have an above ground pool and all bathrooms are on 2nd floor of our colonial house so between showering before and after the pool and working outside around yard I figure it will get some good use.

seattleite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1551 on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
$150 key caps for my keyboard. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1552 on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
I really want a drone.  Like really really.  But I know from experience I would play with it for about two weeks.

The only "toy" I've ever lusted over and kept using was a home squat rack/bars/weights.  Nothing else.  But I've bought lots of stuff in the past that I never used after the excitement.

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #1553 on: June 13, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
I really want a drone.  Like really really.  But I know from experience I would play with it for about two weeks.

The only "toy" I've ever lusted over and kept using was a home squat rack/bars/weights.  Nothing else.  But I've bought lots of stuff in the past that I never used after the excitement.

Buy a drone from someone else who is already sick of it and then sell it on once you are too?

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1554 on: June 17, 2018, 04:05:05 AM »
A ticket to Indonesia. Friends of mine are going in September and I want to join so so so badly.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #1555 on: June 17, 2018, 05:06:04 AM »
A ticket to Indonesia. Friends of mine are going in September and I want to join so so so badly.

Indonesia is cheap once you're there. Why not go?

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1556 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:36 AM »
Some things are once in a lifetime. You should cobble together some money and go with your friends. My Hub and I got a free trip to Jamaica in 1974. It was last minute and we only had two days to prepare to go on it. We went for a week and it was our first exotic vacation. I will never forget it and it was a million years ago! We had never even been to Florida or any place with palm trees. It was glorious! Don't let this opportunity slip thru your fingers!

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1557 on: June 17, 2018, 05:41:17 AM »
Thanks a lot for the encouragement folks!

I most likely will if it works out with work. I know the price level is low once I'm there and honestly the price isn't even the main reason I'm in dubio. My main reasons to not go would be:
- I already was in Indonesia last year. We'd most likely visit a different part of the country though.
- The particular friends I'm talking about are from another country in Europe. Visiting them in Europe is much cheaper due to lower ticket prices and being able to stay with them.
- We're time-bound due to a friend working there over summer; so no option to go in the cheaper low season when flights are only 400.
- I'm trying to reduce my flying for environmental reasons (and already took 2 European trips this year, oops).
- Due to work I most likely can't take more than 3 weeks off. This is borderline with my "it's only worth it if I stay 1 day for every hour flown"-standard.

And the most important one:
- It's complicated with work-planning and could potentially delay the start of the first actual meaningful work of my PhD with 1-2 months <-- this is why I haven't booked yet and flight prices keep creeping up.

The pro's:
- It would be an amazing option for a big Asia-reunion as that's where we all met.
- I have a bunch of other friends in SE-Asia/Indonesia so maybe a few of them would be able to come over and see us
- Indonesia! Diving! Food! Jungle! Beaches! Surfing!
- I do have plenty of money anyways (not from an FI-perspective, but from a savings rate perspective)

So yeah, the ticket itself isn't stupid, but I'm still torn about whether it's worth taking this trip now over taking another trip elsewhere that would be closer, cheaper and allow for better planning with work. It's also not that SE-Asia would feel too much like "my big trip" or "once in a lifetime" as I spent a year living/traveling there. I guess I'm just a little spoiled snowflake that spent so much time traveling that now it feels like it's not worth it to go far for a short trip (yes, I call 3 weeks short) and that can't get over the fact that work gets into the way of my travel ideas.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1558 on: June 17, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
Currently lusting over about ~$20K worth of asphalt and labor to pave our road. That or a little 4WD tractor with a front loader and a hoe (we already have the scrape blade). If  we can find a used tractor under $10K, we might go for it.  Not sure it's stupid, though it is stupid how much it will cost. Husband is not getting any younger, and manual driveway maintenence is not getting any easier. I'm useless on that project except for carrying water because of injuries and size.

Update: the new quote on paving is not $20K but $50K. Still seeking other quotes (I hate contractors who won't call back), but my lust does not run that deep, and we're looking more seriously at tractors.