Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 254383 times)

JLee

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1500 on: May 30, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as stupid thing I'm lusting after, but I really need new shoes right now! This always tends to happen to me, but I wear all my shoes out at once, then take forever to replace them because I can't find *exactly* what I want because I am too picky. Then I go to work every day and my feet hurt, blah blah. My running shoes are close to dead, both pairs of winter boots are awful, and my chacos are on their last leg too. Why do I let this happen! haha. I'm lusting after a new pair of Dansko clogs (have to wear closed toe shoes to work) but I can't get over the price. My size is super popular, so hard to find used. I'll probably just continue to wear running shoes to work, but they just don't look great with everything.

The last time I found a pair of hiking boots that I liked, I noticed that Amazon had significantly dropped the price so I bought a second pair about a year before my first pair wore out and just left them in my closet until the first pair bit the dust. If you find something you really like, it may be worth buying two pair so you don't have to go through this as often!

partgypsy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1501 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as stupid thing I'm lusting after, but I really need new shoes right now! This always tends to happen to me, but I wear all my shoes out at once, then take forever to replace them because I can't find *exactly* what I want because I am too picky. Then I go to work every day and my feet hurt, blah blah. My running shoes are close to dead, both pairs of winter boots are awful, and my chacos are on their last leg too. Why do I let this happen! haha. I'm lusting after a new pair of Dansko clogs (have to wear closed toe shoes to work) but I can't get over the price. My size is super popular, so hard to find used. I'll probably just continue to wear running shoes to work, but they just don't look great with everything.

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole. They are ok in dry weather, but my feet get soaked if it's wet out. I need shoes that I can wear at work, are comfortable to walk miles in, and not super expensive, and it can be hard to find. I went shopping for shoes and ended up buying a nice pair of sandals, not on sale : ( so my plan is to wear sandals in summer for days I'm not seeing patients, and get a pair of shoes in fall.   

I  have the same problem with a rain jacket. I can no longer wear my old rain jacket (sleeves are no longer water proof so I get soaked). But jackets I like are 70, 100 or more in cost. I refuse to spend that much. I was hoping to find a deal on a nice rain jacket but no luck so far.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:36:01 AM by partgypsy »

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1502 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
As a musician, I am always lusting after new toys, the last few years I've been wanting several guitar amplifiers and effects pedals.  Haven't pulled the trigger on any, but it's always tempting. 

Also, I opted out of a leased 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee a month back, and I have to admit that I miss it, and sometimes think I should have just purchased it - living in luxury can be addicting.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1503 on: May 30, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole. They are ok in dry weather, but my feet get soaked if it's wet out. I need shoes that I can wear at work, are comfortable to walk miles in, and not super expensive, and it can be hard to find. I went shopping for shoes and ended up buying a nice pair of sandals, not on sale : ( so my plan is to wear sandals in summer for days I'm not seeing patients, and get a pair of shoes in fall.   

I  have the same problem with a rain jacket. I can no longer wear my old rain jacket (sleeves are no longer water proof so I get soaked). But jackets I like are 70, 100 or more in cost. I refuse to spend that much. I was hoping to find a deal on a nice rain jacket but no luck so far.

Keep an eye out on ebay. Look every day for the brand and size you are looking for. You might find it there eventually.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1504 on: May 30, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Also, I opted out of a leased 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee a month back, and I have to admit that I miss it, and sometimes think I should have just purchased it - living in luxury can be addicting.

There are like four or five of these in my neighborhood. Having driven a Grand Cherokee (albeit an older one) I can say I don't think there are many more boring ways to waste money on a car.

For the average price of the lowest trim (Laredo) 2016 Grand Cherokee on Autotrader you could instead have a 2011 Lexus LS 460 and bathe yourself in actual luxury and they're also super reliable. Or if you wanted something fun to drive and still more luxurious and cheaper you could look at the 2012 Audi S4 which does 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Or if you need an SUV for some reason why not a 2014 Acura MDX? Better fuel economy, more luxurious, more reliable, faster.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1505 on: May 30, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »

There are like four or five of these in my neighborhood. Having driven a Grand Cherokee (albeit an older one) I can say I don't think there are many more boring ways to waste money on a car.

For the average price of the lowest trim (Laredo) 2016 Grand Cherokee on Autotrader you could instead have a 2011 Lexus LS 460 and bathe yourself in actual luxury and they're also super reliable. Or if you wanted something fun to drive and still more luxurious and cheaper you could look at the 2012 Audi S4 which does 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. Or if you need an SUV for some reason why not a 2014 Acura MDX? Better fuel economy, more luxurious, more reliable, faster.
I ended up buying a chevy impala after unloading the Jeep.  The model I had was a Laredo, drove nice, had an upscale interior, I was especially fond of the overall exterior look.  I liked having 4 wheel drive for the winter snows and for camping, but front wheel drive will do just fine for 95% of my time.  The storage space was nice as well, helped with a few moves between some towns, and for hauling camping gear during summer trips.     

I don't need an SUV.  If I ever want something along those lines again I'll probably look for a Subaru Outback or something similar.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1506 on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »

Keep an eye out on ebay. Look every day for the brand and size you are looking for. You might find it there eventually.

You don't even need to look everyday. eBay will look for you! Just set up an alert with your search parameters and they will email you when something that fits is listed. Go to "my ebay" and then to "saved searches."

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1507 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »
I really want this house. https://www.oahure.com/SearchMLS_Details.php?MLSNumber=201812555&PropertyType=RES My commute would be walkable. And look how awesome it is! Some interesting paint choices, but other than that, so cute and not the usual metro Honolulu dump.

Sigh. A million dollars. Not going to happen. Gotta stick with our little condo.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1508 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
It appears the price of living in paradise is quite high. :/

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Yeah. I forget that it gives mainland folks sticker shock unless they are from Manhattan or SF. When mainland people see what $364k bought us they are aghast. But who needs a nice place? It's paradise!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1510 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
My area is not cheap. For that house, it would be at least half a million here. Which I think is a lot for it. But, that's half the asking price, so...

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1511 on: May 31, 2018, 06:41:14 AM »
my daughter (17) recently mentioned wanting to have a small saltwater aquarium and now I can't get that idea out of my head. I had one when she was little and we loved it, but damn, what an expensive and time consuming hobby. Small is somewhat cheaper, but larger is more stable. I'm resisting (trying to resist) because I know my tendency to be obsessed with something for a while and eventually lose interest after initial setup thrill wears off, leading to neglect and the tank crashing and being taken down.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1512 on: May 31, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
I would say don't do it. You know what will happen as you have stated.

The other thing would be if you can afford to have an aquarium service come and take care of it on a regular basis. Our local hospital has a nice aquarium and I can only imagine they have some service come in and do what needs to be done.

I am the type that will obsess with stuff and gung ho for a while then let the thing go to hell.

Why don't you get an aquarium screen saver instead!

partgypsy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1513 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
If your daughter is 17, means she will most likely be going off to school in a year. Think about if you want that kind of commitment and responsibility to fall on you after this year. This is the same reason I keep telling my oldest "no" when she asks for a snake. She will be going to college in a few years, and don't want to inherit that responsibility.

I do get it. Saltwater aquariums can be very cool.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #1514 on: May 31, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
Iím lusting after the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven.  Itís been sitting in my Amazon cart for a few months and Iím going to make myself wait until the end of the year to see if the desire leaves me.
Yeah didn't make it to the end of the year.  Bought the damn thing and I'm loving it.  I get home from school throw in a piece of meat, make a salad or steam some veggies, and in 15 mins. have a tasty dinner.  I've baked a few things and it's great to not use the big oven that heats up the house. 

Sand101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1515 on: June 02, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole.

Might not be the right answer forever, but Shoe Goo is pretty awesome for this.  I have repaired uncounted shoes, this way, including splits like this.  Heck, I've used them to patch balding areas on my running shoes to get more miles out of them (try to get to 400 or so before giving them up).  Great product.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1516 on: June 02, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »

The last time I found a pair of hiking boots that I liked, I noticed that Amazon had significantly dropped the price so I bought a second pair about a year before my first pair wore out and just left them in my closet until the first pair bit the dust. If you find something you really like, it may be worth buying two pair so you don't have to go through this as often!

They'll last longer if you rotate them. It probably doesn't make sense for hiking boots as you don't want to carry two pairs, but for regular shoes even if you have two pairs that are the same it is highly likely that will last more than 2x as long if you wear them every other day as it lets them dry out/rest in ways that help them fall apart less quickly. This may also not make sense for running shoes as the "foam" typically used in the soles ages even if its just sitting on the shelf.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1517 on: June 02, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »

I have the same problem. Three of my main shoes now have splits in the sole.

Might not be the right answer forever, but Shoe Goo is pretty awesome for this.  I have repaired uncounted shoes, this way, including splits like this.  Heck, I've used them to patch balding areas on my running shoes to get more miles out of them (try to get to 400 or so before giving them up).  Great product.

+1 on the Shoe Goo. It can also be used to apply a patch to denim, an can wash and dry after 24 hours.

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1518 on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »
I want this tent thing that attaches to the roof of your car in the worst way. It costs more than our car. But it's awesome.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp Does anybody have this thing? It looks so cool.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1519 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
I want this tent thing that attaches to the roof of your car in the worst way. It costs more than our car. But it's awesome.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp Does anybody have this thing? It looks so cool.

There are a lot of those at varying price points:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/should-i-buy-a-rooftop-tent/
http://www.theadventureportal.com/taps-roof-top-tent-buyers-guide/

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1520 on: June 03, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
I am not an outdoorsy type person but that Kamper thing is really cool if you are into camping!

I'd say go for it, you will have the time of your life! Sell some junk on Craigslist and Ebay to pay for it!

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1521 on: June 03, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

THANKS!! Will research now.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1522 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

THANKS!! Will research now.

They have many pros and many cons. If you want to chat about it, feel free to shoot me a PM.

The thing that attracted me to rooftop tents was the quick setup, but I don't use it often enough to leave it on my roof all the time. They're also heavy and bulky and difficult to store.  Given that setup/takedown time was my biggest issue with normal tents, I bought a Malamoo Mega 3 second tent. Setup starts at the 30 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNOI-lnuuC4

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1523 on: June 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
Just read the Wirecutter article, which dumped a bucket of cold water on the whole rooftop tent plan. Totally not something we should invest in--we live in Hawaii and car camp about three times a year.

However, now I'm wondering if you can rent those things for road trip/car camping long haul vacations on the mainland. I've priced out RV rentals and they don't make sense, in my opinion. But a rooftop tent might be great under such circumstances...if you could rent it for less than a hotel would cost/night.

Maybe just something I'll drool over on Instagram.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1524 on: June 03, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Just read the Wirecutter article, which dumped a bucket of cold water on the whole rooftop tent plan. Totally not something we should invest in--we live in Hawaii and car camp about three times a year.

However, now I'm wondering if you can rent those things for road trip/car camping long haul vacations on the mainland. I've priced out RV rentals and they don't make sense, in my opinion. But a rooftop tent might be great under such circumstances...if you could rent it for less than a hotel would cost/night.

For three times a year, consider something like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11662183-coleman-longs-peak-6-person-10-x10-fast-pitch-dome-tent-49-free-shipping?v=1

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1525 on: June 03, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
Currently lusting over about ~$20K worth of asphalt and labor to pave our road. That or a little 4WD tractor with a front loader and a hoe (we already have the scrape blade). If  we can find a used tractor under $10K, we might go for it.  Not sure it's stupid, though it is stupid how much it will cost. Husband is not getting any younger, and manual driveway maintenence is not getting any easier. I'm useless on that project except for carrying water because of injuries and size.

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1526 on: June 04, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
I'm wanting a new stereo. I'm lusting after a (modest?) $166 bookshelf stereo (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XHCQGK/?coliid=IQBPEJ5FE37KY&colid=1P8HOZA7AZVL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). My stereo speakers are all crackly and fade in and out from left to right. I have no shortage of hearing music/tv/movie... but damn a new stereo would be nice!

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1527 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:49 AM »
Ha.  I'll take your $1m house and raise you this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3840-Pleasant-Ridge-Rd-Boulder-CO-80301/147274601_zpid/?fullpage=true

$9m to live just inside Boulder County, CO, by a lake and just over 100 acres of public open space.  I zero percent would need anything this fancy ever, but I do love the colors and the wood.  I know in 10 years it's probably going to be one of those weird trendy houses that look incredibly dated (country blue and mauve, I'm looking at you!), but right now, I think it's gorgeous.  Kind of a modern Frank Lloyd Wright look.

englishteacheralex

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1528 on: June 05, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
So fancy! Looks like a really fun place to rent for a family reunion. The exterior wasn't doing much for me (I read mcmansionhell too much and even though this one isn't a blight, it's still...massive. Four car garage?!) but I liked the interior a lot.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1529 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
$175 pair of black dress pants that fit me like a glove and make me feel as though I can conquer the world

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1530 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Ha.  I'll take your $1m house and raise you this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3840-Pleasant-Ridge-Rd-Boulder-CO-80301/147274601_zpid/?fullpage=true

$9m to live just inside Boulder County, CO, by a lake and just over 100 acres of public open space.  I zero percent would need anything this fancy ever, but I do love the colors and the wood.  I know in 10 years it's probably going to be one of those weird trendy houses that look incredibly dated (country blue and mauve, I'm looking at you!), but right now, I think it's gorgeous.  Kind of a modern Frank Lloyd Wright look.

YES. I live in Boulder, but gosh, nowhere this deluxe..... maybe if I increase my already extravagant housing budget by approximately 18x?
But seriously though, let's all count our blessings on not having to clean this place... Or furnish it, for that matter. I try to remember that when I lust after these.

What is my most irrational desire? A gorgeous, sizable diamond ring. No joke.
Quite possibly the most functionally useless, over-marketed, waste of money, usually subtly-sexist, racket in the world. (Edited to add: lots of ways to do diamond marriage jewelry in a Mustachian way. Don't want to hurt the feelings of gorgeous diamond owners. It's just - I like them bold and with boldness comes astronomical prices.)
But...vintage ones...ah. (For the record, happily married with a more mustachian symbolic piece of jewelry, but maybe start a collection?)

But in actuality, I splurged on raspberries at the store this week, so that's where we're at. And happily so. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:52:42 AM by bocopro »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1531 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind a big fat diamond myself. But, like you, I won't be running out and buying one. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Sparkly is pretty.

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1532 on: June 05, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind a big fat diamond myself. But, like you, I won't be running out and buying one. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Sparkly is pretty.

Ha! Glad it's not silly. Not like, Paris Hilton big, but ... visible. Diamonds (and other crystal structures) are just so structurally and geologically interesting!
Anyway -want a diamond for nerdy reasons, I guess? :)

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1533 on: June 05, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »
Ugh, I gave into buying something I've been lusting after lately, which is a really cute sun protection shirt. I'm outside tons, and my dermatologist has been scolding me about how much time I spend out in the garden in tank tops, and sitting in the river, swimming outside, etc...so I'm counting it as a "preventative health" part of my budget. But still I'm embarassed at how expensive it was.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1534 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
Ugh, I gave into buying something I've been lusting after lately, which is a really cute sun protection shirt. I'm outside tons, and my dermatologist has been scolding me about how much time I spend out in the garden in tank tops, and sitting in the river, swimming outside, etc...so I'm counting it as a "preventative health" part of my budget. But still I'm embarassed at how expensive it was.

My husband wants a light-weight sun shirt with a hood for fishing, and he wants a Patagonia one.  It's like $80.  However, I am on a quest to try to buy clothes only from companies with ethical supply chains, and Patagonia is on the list, so...I guess I can't really argue?

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1535 on: June 06, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
That's actually the one I got, it's Patagonia, and it was around that price (about $15 cheaper)...I'm with you on the ethical supply chains, as well, so I always go to Patagonia first. I just didn't *really* need this, you know, though I know I will use it tons. Hopefully I will overcome the guilt in a few days haha

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1536 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
This. i often stock up on clothes and shoes that fit perfectly during sales so that i can just replace them as they wear out. that way i can wear my favourites for years. glad to find someone else who thinks the same way.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #1537 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
A brand new red/blue/white 2 or 2+2 seater convertible. Either a Mazda Miata/MX-5 or Ford Mustang GT 5.0 V8. Just walk in, drop cash, walk out with keys.

I could afford to buy both in cash today. It's a want, not a need.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1538 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
A brand new red/blue/white 2 or 2+2 seater convertible. Either a Mazda Miata/MX-5 or Ford Mustang GT 5.0 V8. Just walk in, drop cash, walk out with keys.

I love the design of the new Miata, looks really sharp. It's pretty much the only option for a cheap and lightweight sports car these days too.

nkt0

• Stubble
« Reply #1539 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

I love the design of the new Miata, looks really sharp. It's pretty much the only option for a cheap and lightweight sports car these days too.

I have a 1999 Miata and it's really my prized asset. I made a vow to never buy another car again and i've so far stuck to it. I only drive it about 6 weeks a year in the summer, but it's wonderful.

I too love the newest Miata. My neighbor bought one so i get the benefit of seeing it out my window every day without the payments or other headaches of actually owning it. :D

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1540 on: June 06, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
That's actually the one I got, it's Patagonia, and it was around that price (about $15 cheaper)...I'm with you on the ethical supply chains, as well, so I always go to Patagonia first. I just didn't *really* need this, you know, though I know I will use it tons. Hopefully I will overcome the guilt in a few days haha

@mountain mustache What other companies do you like?  I'm still searching so my entire wardrobe doesn't end up being Patagonia clothes :)

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1541 on: June 06, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
Nice, now I want a Miata.

I think at about T minus one year before FIRE we are going to get a Wrangler and a small RV trailer (within the towing capacity), plus something sporty for my hot wife to drive.  Like a Miata.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1542 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »

Cheaper than dealing with skin cancer. I'm glad you bought it!

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1543 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »

@mountain mustache What other companies do you like?  I'm still searching so my entire wardrobe doesn't end up being Patagonia clothes :)

Honestly, Patagonia is the best company I've found, at least for the apparel I like to wear...but, I can't always buy $$$ clothes, and also not all of their clothing fits me super well. My kind of guideline is that if I need something, I always look for it used first. And I only buy used clothing from smaller, outdoor industry brands that I know a little more about. I don't think anyone does as good a job as Patagonia, but buying used clothing is still helpful, I think. If I can't find something I want used, I try to buy it from Patagonia. I literally never buy clothing (even used) from giant companies like Old navy, the Gap, or Forever 21, etc...I'm lucky that I work in the outdoor industry, so wearing "sportier" clothing all the time is kind of the thing everyone does, so I get away with wearing hiking clothes to work all the time haha.  My little small town in the mountains also has a great consignment clothing scene, so I get tons of used Patagonia, Prana, Ex Officio, Ibex, etc...for next to nothing.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #1544 on: June 07, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »

Honestly, Patagonia is the best company I've found, at least for the apparel I like to wear...but, I can't always buy $$$ clothes, and also not all of their clothing fits me super well. My kind of guideline is that if I need something, I always look for it used first. And I only buy used clothing from smaller, outdoor industry brands that I know a little more about. I don't think anyone does as good a job as Patagonia, but buying used clothing is still helpful, I think. If I can't find something I want used, I try to buy it from Patagonia. I literally never buy clothing (even used) from giant companies like Old navy, the Gap, or Forever 21, etc...I'm lucky that I work in the outdoor industry, so wearing "sportier" clothing all the time is kind of the thing everyone does, so I get away with wearing hiking clothes to work all the time haha.  My little small town in the mountains also has a great consignment clothing scene, so I get tons of used Patagonia, Prana, Ex Officio, Ibex, etc...for next to nothing.

Check sites like GearTrade for used Patagonia clothing! I have gotten a number of Patagonia and other outdoors-y items from there. eBay is good too. Remember, Patagonia will repair any item you send to them, regardless of how old it is or whether or not you were the original buyer.

rothwem

• Bristles
« Reply #1545 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
So I recently got a job in a really cool place with access to EPIC level mountain biking that's ride-able from my front door.  The bummer is that I currently live in a place with only okay mountain biking, so I optimized my bicycle portfolio to only include a 5-year old 29er carbon hardtail for mountain biking purposes and it's not exactly ideal for the chunky gnar gnar and epic 'sends I'll encounter in the new locale.

I really want a Santa Cruz Tallboy 3.  29er wheels, and the standard XT build is good for me.  Even if I sold my hardtail, I'd still have to come up with about $2500 to make the Tallboy 3 happen.  My friends say that I should have negotiated a "mountain bike allowance" into my relocation package, I'm starting to agree!

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/tallboy

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1546 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
I don't think that's a stupid thing to lust after. When you live somewhere that is "ride out the door to amazing trails" it is worth it to have nice bikes. I live in a small town in the mountains of Colorado, and I own 2 super nice mountain bikes that I ride almost every day. It's a passion, and it's worth having good equipment to fully enjoy the experience. I ride on my lunch breaks, in the morning before work, all weekend, etc...everyone does who lives in such great places. I say, save up the money and get the bike!

Kott308

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1547 on: June 11, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
The new Winnebago Revel RV. Itís just so much excess for a class B RV, but the engineering is just downright beautiful. No plans to upgrade from the current tent/sleeping bag vacation package, but itís still fun to look at.

Saving4Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1548 on: June 12, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
In the 5-10 year time frame due to my wife's career we may need a modest 2nd home in a different state.  This sent me on a quest to find something today, which makes zero sense.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #1549 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »

For three times a year, consider something like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11662183-coleman-longs-peak-6-person-10-x10-fast-pitch-dome-tent-49-free-shipping?v=1

This is the tent we bought last summer. It made it through a couple of northern Michigan summer storms just fine, and the little screen porch is big enough for a couple of camp chairs (nice for coffee drinking in the morning when you're not ready to douse yourself in bug spray).

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-STEEL-CREEK-6-PERSON-SCREEN/dp/B00S57UU7S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1528837591&sr=8-8&keywords=coleman+screened+tent