Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 252240 times)

facepalm

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1400 on: February 09, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »
one of these:

Mind you, I already have the previous version. And it's paid off.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: February 10, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »
I want a Roomba. So so bad.

Let me help you out.  :-)  BTDT, it was kind of fun to have around, but I was not impressed with the performance, especially considering the cost.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1402 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »

Maybe you can borrow one until the novelty wears off.  I give it 4 +/- 1 days.

I'd retire now if I had not spent so much on things that were hardly or never used.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1403 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »
A big detached garage with a lift.

I'll raise you (no pun intended) a  heated, insulated garage with a lift
Do it soon.  You may never recoup the cost in dollars, but I enjoy my detached,heated,airconditioned,insulated garage with a lift enough to make it worthwhile.
It also has nearly livable upstairs that is regrettably being used primarily for storage.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:24:00 PM by M2 pilot »

kei te pai

• Stubble
« Reply #1404 on: February 10, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
My neighbours house. Its on the market. I would love to have nobody living next door.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1405 on: February 11, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
A big detached garage with a lift.

I'll raise you (no pun intended) a  heated, insulated garage with a lift
Do it soon.  You may never recoup the cost in dollars, but I enjoy my detached,heated,airconditioned,insulated garage with a lift enough to make it worthwhile.
It also has nearly livable upstairs that is regrettably being used primarily for storage.

That's exactly what I want, but with a completely livable upstairs and then no house. :P

DapperD123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1406 on: February 11, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
A unimog 406......

I've wanted one for about 6 years now. I just haven't NEEDED one..... EVER lol....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: February 11, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
Super fancy cupcakes. One of my friends said they were "life changing", and now I can't stop thinking about them.

Can now report back. My husband picked up six cupcakes & 2 soft sugar cookies for my birthday. Both were easily the best I've ever had, and I'm . . . a bit of a connoisseur. The flake on the cake, the ratio of cake vs frosting, the freshness, the balance of flavor without overpowering sweetness. . . . SWEET.MERCY. So happy. The weekend is over, & I've packed the last two cupcakes for the kids lunches, because I feel like my weight loss goals will not appreciate any more. ;-) 

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »
Wanting a Roomba 960.  I missed the costco deal, but eyeing other BF "deals".... Or I can continue to just vacuum with the vacuum I have...

Are you sure?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
Fancy craft cider that costs $12 a six pack. I caved last week and somehow bought two of them. Itís really freaking good but Iíve already told myself it canít become a habit. My weekly alcohol spend for me and my husband is supposed to be about $20.

Mmmm. What kind of cider?

Two Towns. Theyíre based in Oregon and make nice dry ciders. Trader Joeís carries it in my neck of the woods.

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't think I've seen that around here. I mean, er, not that I'd ever spend money on fancy cider *cough*

Oh god yes two towns is amazing. I pity anyone who doesn't live here =D It's good enough, Husband and I drove cases of it hundreds of miles from the tap house to our wedding.

The Bad Apple is wonderful, but at 15% ABV will knock you on your ass and kick your teeth in the process. The Maid Marion is great, but I really much prefer it out of a bottle than a can, I think the can gives it an off flavor. At the very least pour the can into a glass first! I think the only other ones they sell out of state are the Bright cider (good, general, easy drinking) and the ginger ninja (tasty, fine from a can, but not special *enough* that I buy it often).

I am very very spoiled. They do a prickly pair seasonal that's just magnificent. But I think my favorite of all of them is the one they made for the Portland Thorns (women's soccer team), called something like two thorns... it's got rose hip in it and it's just indescribable, SO good.

...might need to go get a growler fill of two towns now, haha.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: February 15, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
Same thing I've been lusting over forever...

....a drone.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1411 on: February 15, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
Fancy craft cider that costs $12 a six pack. I caved last week and somehow bought two of them. Itís really freaking good but Iíve already told myself it canít become a habit. My weekly alcohol spend for me and my husband is supposed to be about $20.

Mmmm. What kind of cider?

Two Towns. Theyíre based in Oregon and make nice dry ciders. Trader Joeís carries it in my neck of the woods.

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out. I don't think I've seen that around here. I mean, er, not that I'd ever spend money on fancy cider *cough*

Oh god yes two towns is amazing. I pity anyone who doesn't live here =D It's good enough, Husband and I drove cases of it hundreds of miles from the tap house to our wedding.

The Bad Apple is wonderful, but at 15% ABV will knock you on your ass and kick your teeth in the process. The Maid Marion is great, but I really much prefer it out of a bottle than a can, I think the can gives it an off flavor. At the very least pour the can into a glass first! I think the only other ones they sell out of state are the Bright cider (good, general, easy drinking) and the ginger ninja (tasty, fine from a can, but not special *enough* that I buy it often).

I am very very spoiled. They do a prickly pair seasonal that's just magnificent. But I think my favorite of all of them is the one they made for the Portland Thorns (women's soccer team), called something like two thorns... it's got rose hip in it and it's just indescribable, SO good.

...might need to go get a growler fill of two towns now, haha.

Cider people! My people!! Now I'm East Coast so those brands don't sound familiar, but I've been meaning to visit the west...

There's one brand that is growing in popularity by me... used to be very small and local to me near college, now I'm starting to find it in stores near my hometown. Their standard is fine, I enjoy it, but nothing to write home about. But their ginger... damn. Best ginger cider I've had. Now you can get it in a 4-pack of cans for $15. Those are special occasion drinks lol.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #1412 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
A Lagoon 380 cruising catamaran.

You can live a pretty mustachian lifestyle on one of these......the maintenance would be the biggest expense =D

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1413 on: February 17, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
An APS CAM870 Airsoft shell ejecting shotgun.

Imagine a shotgun, but instead of using gunpowder you can charge each shell individually with CO2 and cram 20 airsoft bb's in each shell.  BONUS: it's also relatively safe enough to shoot your friends with! 

It's in no way a bargain, or particularly useful.  But I'll be damned if it isn't frikkin' sweet!  But the $400+ pricetag is a bit much for me right now.  Even without any consumer debt that's a huge amount of opportunity cost for something I'll hardly ever use.

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #1414 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
I am also looking at a boa in the 30K  price range- DW and I have agreed to rent this summer and see if we really enjoy boating
when we have to drive and do the maintenance

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #1415 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:22 AM »
As I type at the dining room of a small European hotel, I am lusting after this young gal that came to get coffee wearing only a dress shirt that doesn't go too far down!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by swampwiz »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1416 on: February 18, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
An airplane is what I want now.  Sigh.  Luckily I know that I wouldn't even begin to put enough hours on one each year to make it worthwhile.  Still though, the hearts wants what it wants...  :-)

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #1417 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
Housekeeper

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: February 18, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
An APS CAM870 Airsoft shell ejecting shotgun.

Imagine a shotgun, but instead of using gunpowder you can charge each shell individually with CO2 and cram 20 airsoft bb's in each shell.  BONUS: it's also relatively safe enough to shoot your friends with! 

It's in no way a bargain, or particularly useful.  But I'll be damned if it isn't frikkin' sweet!  But the $400+ pricetag is a bit much for me right now.  Even without any consumer debt that's a huge amount of opportunity cost for something I'll hardly ever use.

Damn, that's 2.5x what my Remington 870 cost.

I do have an old-school Tokyo Marui airsoft shotgun - definitely not as fancy as that APS!

better late

• Stubble
« Reply #1419 on: February 18, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
Designer jacket

Xenantaya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1420 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Enough money so that in retirement I can take international luxury ocean or river cruises 2 or 3 time each year (at least for the first several years).

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1421 on: February 19, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
I'm lusting after Huawei Honor 7x costing $200 to replace the corporate iPhone I'm about to lose when I retire in about 4 months.

Instead I ordered a Moto E4 (Verizon prepaid which could be easily unlocked) through Walmart for $40.  It was cancelled due to suspected fraudulent activity in my account. I was offered a $10 discount which I used to reorder the Moto E4.

I still haven't received shipment confirmation so there is a possibility that it might be cancelled again.  If this happened, I fear I'll give in and buy the Honor 7x. (ETA:  Received delivery confirmation as of 12/26, a little sad....)  What the heck I might still end up buying the 7x even when I do get the Moto E4.

Honor 7x is calling my name again since the Moto E4's screen broke when it fell off my pocket and hit the floor face down.

I swear it wasn't intentional. This is the shortest time I owned an electronic before damaging it.

Maybe Honor 7x and I are fated.... Must resist (or at least wait until it is on sale).

I recently went out of town, when I left the hotel for the day, I left my Flip phone in the room.
 I kind of hoped the cleaning crew would steal my Flip Phone, so I could buy a smart phone.
No such luck!
 In the end, my phone fell out of the pouch and between the cars seats, so it wasn't even in the room to steal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:50:24 AM by BTDretire »

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »
Hahaha, that flip phone will probably last another 20 years! By that time they will probably implant chips in our ears instead of phones.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
I've been seriously looking at antarctica cruises again.  15 grand-ish excluding airfare.  Am I crazy?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #1424 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
I've wanted a Banks Fry-Bake pan and lid for my camping gear. Very durable and highly recommended. Maybe a great birthday gift from the wife and kids. $50 camping pan is a bit of a stretch. Especially when I haven't starved or gone without yet...

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #1425 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
I've been looking at these two items a lot for the last few months. I'll probably pull  the trigger soon.

The PAKT One travel bag: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pakt-one-the-only-travel-bag-you-ll-ever-want-design/x/18057863#/
My rationale for buying: I don't have any travel suitcases or bags at the moment. Only a backpack from LL Beans that's been going strong for almost 4 years now. I figured this would last me the rest of the my life and suit me well when traveling since I don't have much stuff.

The QUARTZ self clean water bottle: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/quartz-bottle-world-s-first-self-cleaning-bottle-sport-fitness/x/18057863#/
My rationale for buying: I only drink water and I've been using the same water bottle for almost 4 years by CAMELBAK. It's hard to clean and mold tends to build up inside the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece has also popped off but it's still usable. Unfortunately the mouthpiece of this CAMELBAK model is not replaceable. I figure having the best water drinking experience would be fair.

Buying in packs is also cheaper if anyone needs the items above :p

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1426 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »
A hand-carved, very beautiful D&D dice chest with a rolling tray.

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
Going to the boat, sport & travel show today with a buddy that is thinking about getting a camper. 
Will do my best to help him blow some money  :)

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #1428 on: February 20, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »

I bought one and I like it. But FOR ME having a roomba was the difference between not sweeping the the hardwood floor once every few months to having the floor swept 70% well daily. I could see a significance difference, and the $350 I spent on it was worth having a chore done that I wanted done with absolutely no urge to perform said chore. SO MUCH PIT BULL FUR it's picked up for me.

But I wouldn't say it's a tool you leave unattended. I usually clean the kitchen while I let it loose over the house so I can assist it as it gets stuck in and on odd locations as well as it getting tangled up in a blanket or tassel. Unless you keep your floor picked up so well you wouldn't have to worry about such things.

I would say a Roomba's satisfaction score would depend on expectations. A blind robotic rolling circle is never going to clean as well as a human that actually has an eye for seeing mess.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: February 20, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
A ski cabin

freya

• Stubble
« Reply #1430 on: February 20, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
I've been seriously looking at antarctica cruises again.  15 grand-ish excluding airfare.  Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all!  That is a spectacular experience.  I'd regard as a once in 10-15 year vacation though, and save up for it accordingly.

Re the Roomba....I got one of those.  It's WAY cheaper than hiring a housecleaner.  This gizmo plus the portable washer makes it possible for me to keep up with housework (and my two long-haired cats) while not sacrificing the bulk of my weekends.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1431 on: February 20, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
$12 hammered aluminium fruit bowl. Do not need. Have a ceramic fruit bowl that's entirely fine. The metal one is pretty, though. And it's staying at the store.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: February 21, 2018, 04:03:31 AM »
Does the Roomba work on carpet or just hard surfaces? If it works on carpet, how good is it at getting pet hair out?

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #1433 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »
Does the Roomba work on carpet or just hard surfaces? If it works on carpet, how good is it at getting pet hair out?

It works on both carpets and hard surfaces. I don't recommend carpets with tassels though. Loose cables are the bane of Roomba existence.

It might be expensive but it is a great help. We have redesigned some stuff around the house so that the roomba can get around and it now runs twice a week and keeps the dust down.

Love it. :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1434 on: February 25, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »

Are you FI?.. Then no it isn't..otherwise...:)

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1435 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »

Are you FI?.. Then no it isn't..otherwise...:)

Agreed. Or maybe if you realistically can make this the only vacation you take on your entire journey to FI. My whole family could go on a Europe vacation 3+ times for that price...

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1436 on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »

If you are a Costco member you can get discounts on cruises and vacation packages. Check it out.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1437 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:20 AM »
I bought myself a cheap adult's scooter and I love it so much.

Then I went on holidays (without my scooter - it didn't fit in our car) and saw lots of people on skateboards and now I reeeeeeally want a skateboard, even though I'm an old and falling could be dangerous. But.... I love how free everyone looks riding their skateboard. I can easily afford the money for a new skateboard. Not sure it would be sensible though. Hence posting in this thread.

Zola.

• Stubble
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #1438 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »
I would like a nice Boss watch, but I dont want to pay the cash.

Jtrey17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1439 on: April 17, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
Me too! And I wanna take my four kids with me!! I am mustachian in every other way, but my desire to show my kids the world before theyíre grown is strong!

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #1440 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
A condo in San Diego. Although considering itís still cold and snowy here in mid-April, maybe that isnít so stupid...

JanetJackson

• Bristles
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1441 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

Still these stupid Wu Tang socks....

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1442 on: April 19, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
If you're going to spend any money at all on unnecessary stuff, fancy socks are a pretty good option. We all need socks; fancy ones don't cost a whole lot more than basic ones; and for some reason, men in particular get a far greater range of style options for socks than for almost anything else. Buying fancy socks instead of basic ones would set you back perhaps fifty to sixty dollars a year at the upper end of the scale - if you go for cycling websites, in fact, you can often find very hard-wearing socks in very over-the-top designs for two or three dollars a pair.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:31:39 AM by runbikerun »

rothwem

• Bristles
« Reply #1443 on: April 20, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »
I really want another BMW wagon.  I've had two already and they were awesome.  The last one was a manual transmission and I loved it, but I messed up my knee and needed to ditch the clutch for a while so I sold it.  I decided on a super depreciation special 2005 X3 to replace it, which is almost like a BMW wagon, but it isn't.  I really want another wagon.  I'm holding strong though, its really nice to not have a car payment.

I'm also really wanting a new Santa Cruz Stigmata with the Force CX1.  Its an eye watering $4400, which is twice what I've ever spent on a bicycle, but the parts group is exactly what I'd pick if I was going to build it from scratch.  I figure I could sell my commuter and my road bike and maybe come up with $1500?  Ugh. This is where I put it in my "defer" category and wait to see if I still want it in 6 months. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
A new crank with a built-in power meter for my bicycle. $399, marked down to only $244. Great deal compared to the power meter pedals at $700. I can't afford not to buy it!

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1445 on: April 21, 2018, 02:20:51 AM »
A new crank with a built-in power meter for my bicycle. $399, marked down to only $244. Great deal compared to the power meter pedals at $700. I can't afford not to buy it!

At the risk of getting unnecessarily sweary: where the absolute fucking bastard hell did you find a power meter crank for that little?

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: April 21, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
Literally these stupid Wu Tang socks... for like the last year.  They're just sitting in my amazon cart.  What's wrong with me?  Socks go inside your shoes and they don't need to be "fun."
https://www.amazon.com/Sherry007-Wu-Tang-Classic-Comfort-Cotton/dp/B01M7Z84OX/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=wu+tang+clan+socks

Here's to year number TWO of them living in my amazon shopping cart and not my sock drawer.

Still these stupid Wu Tang socks....
Wu Tang Financial approves of this purchase.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1447 on: April 21, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
A Le Creuset Tea Kettle. Marine Blue. Theyíre gorgeous.

I bought a knockoff Roomba on Amazon and I love it. I have the ILIFE A4, but would get the A6 if I had to buy again. I have two dogs and it works like a dream!

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
Do your dogs shed a lot? I have one that is Pomeranian and is a horrible shedder. Can you describe your experience with the ILIFE4. Do the hairs get wrapped around the brush, is it easy to empty, does it get stuck in corners?

imadandylion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1449 on: April 21, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I want a Vitamix blender. I used to have a nice KitchenAid blender, but my SO lost it misplacing it in his mom's garage by storing it there during a move (which is an endless array of hoarded crap... we've tried to look through it). This is infuriating to me because I did not know this happened until I went to look for it and thought it strange that after I turned our place up and down, inside and out, several times, I could not find the blender.  It's also infuriating because it was sentimental and one of those things I was so proud to buy after saving up money, lol, but after a long time without it, I think I might have to accept I can no longer get this blender back... :/ and should just upgrade while I'm at it? I had purchased a $34 food processor which I've used quite a bit in the mean time but it does not yield the same results as a blender for some things, like smoothies.

Sigh. What to do, what to do... It's so expensive.