Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 139692 times)

JLee

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1300 on: December 07, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
Newly released information on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler that will have the 3.0L diesel. They are stating it will have over 30mpg and 442ft/lbs of torque...

This is good, but not unheard of for diesel. We've seen similar numbers over the last 6+ years:
2011 VW Touareg - 28 mpg / 406 ft-lb
2013 Mercedes GLK - 32 mpg / 369 ft-lb
2014 BMW X5 - 31 mpg / 416 ft-lb

None of those are shaped like bricks, though. :p

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1301 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Newly released information on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler that will have the 3.0L diesel. They are stating it will have over 30mpg and 442ft/lbs of torque...

This is good, but not unheard of for diesel. We've seen similar numbers over the last 6+ years:
2011 VW Touareg - 28 mpg / 406 ft-lb
2013 Mercedes GLK - 32 mpg / 369 ft-lb
2014 BMW X5 - 31 mpg / 416 ft-lb

None of those are shaped like bricks, though. :p

True, but they aren't all far off...

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #1302 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

That sounds freaking awesome. All the <2017 MY Jeeps will drop in value faster than you can say "Salt Life Bro"
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1303 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »

Think I'm about to buy an 06 2.8L diesel Liberty for a daily driver. Fuel mileage isn't quite that good, but it's 26 highway. I care not about torque as long as it goes, and if I need extreme offroad, I already have a gas-powered TJ.

I don't think my impending purchase qualifies as very stupid, though; it's $6,000.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1304 on: December 08, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »
Christmas is approaching and I was very tempted to buy a almond based cake:

https://www.europris.no/kransekake-18-ringer-ferdig-pyntet-104140.html

I ordered one from the cafeteria at work and received it yesterday. And now I notice that the cake in the link is much cheaper. Let's hope the one that I bought tastes good.

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #1305 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

Think I'm about to buy an 06 2.8L diesel Liberty for a daily driver. Fuel mileage isn't quite that good, but it's 26 highway. I care not about torque as long as it goes, and if I need extreme offroad, I already have a gas-powered TJ.

I don't think my impending purchase qualifies as very stupid, though; it's $6,000.

Purchase price doesn't seem stupid, but it's not going to be the cheapest vehicle to own and operate. Plus, you already own one unmustachian Jeep vehichle.

See also:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1306 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
New earrings. Is there anything more pointless than jewelry?
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1307 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »

Purchase price doesn't seem stupid, but it's not going to be the cheapest vehicle to own and operate. Plus, you already own one unmustachian Jeep vehichle.

See also:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/

I don't need a 4WD vehicle to make me safer. I need it in order to get to my house.

The Wrangler is a fine thing, but it's over 200K miles (no facepunches; that's 10K miles a year average for those keeping score at home, not that we bought it new fifteen years ago when we got it). Plus it gets 14 mpg. And the heat doesn't really work (and is not really repairable), as I remembered to my chagin this morning. Useful for significant weather events still, but no good as a daily driver.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: December 08, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

Makeup? Truck testicles? Designer labels?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1309 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »

Wow, how did I miss that?
I guess some men are so proud of owning a penis, but secretly unsure they deserve it...
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1310 on: December 08, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »

I guess some men are so proud of owning a penis, but secretly unsure they deserve it...

I always assume it's miniscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1311 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »

I always assume it's minuscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Indeed. Well at least it's a cheaper way to broadcast it, compared to the usual huge truck or big gun?

accolay

• Pencil Stache

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1313 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
New living room furniture for my cats to shred. 
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

facepalm

• Stubble
« Reply #1314 on: December 09, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
I would like some sharpening stones an axe sharpener and a strop:
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Naniwa-Traditional-Waterstone-P565.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzse-7ub71wIVErnACh2Qew_BEAYYAiABEgLtIPD_BwE

I used to shave with a straight razor, and had a full compliment of pricey sharpening stones. The stones in that link are a relative bargain.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1315 on: December 10, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
Sigh. A new TV. Husband and I have had the same one since we moved out together (like 6 years ago?) So it's not super old. And it still works perfectly fine, and is a reasonable size (like 42"?) the biggest problem is that it doesn't have some of the ports we want, and it's a weird screen ratio, so casting from the computer to it has always been a pain. We don't even watch that much TV, and it's fine for stuff like netflix, but sometimes we like to play games on our PC on the TV, and it takes like 30+ minutes to set up each time- if we can even get it to work. It would just be nice to have something with modern hardware and settings so it would work more easily. But spending $500-1k for something when you already own something that works just fine, and is NOT a priority in your life, is just silly.

(...*looks at costco's current TV offerings*)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

indentured4now

• Bristles
« Reply #1316 on: December 10, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E (White Diamond Pearl with Beige interior) with a UXB8200 UnderCover hard foldable rear tonneau cover...    Not that I'm really seriously looking...

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1317 on: December 10, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Actually....There a few other things as well.

Always kinda wanted one of these:
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-perfecto-leather-jacket.htm

Some boots too:
https://www.thefryecompany.com/mens

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1318 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
Sigh. A new TV. Husband and I have had the same one since we moved out together (like 6 years ago?) So it's not super old. And it still works perfectly fine, and is a reasonable size (like 42"?) the biggest problem is that it doesn't have some of the ports we want, and it's a weird screen ratio, so casting from the computer to it has always been a pain. We don't even watch that much TV, and it's fine for stuff like netflix, but sometimes we like to play games on our PC on the TV, and it takes like 30+ minutes to set up each time- if we can even get it to work. It would just be nice to have something with modern hardware and settings so it would work more easily. But spending $500-1k for something when you already own something that works just fine, and is NOT a priority in your life, is just silly.

(...*looks at costco's current TV offerings*)

You could always sell this one and buy another one used but without the port and aspect ratio issues. I got a 32" on Craigslist for $75.

I really can't see myself having a large TV again. I sold my 46" (which my mom pulled for free from a dumpster years ago and fixed for $50!) because it was a pain to move and produced a LOT of heat. Last week I had to go to Walmart to buy a 65" TV for work and I was almost embarrassed to walk across the store with a TV that big...

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1319 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
New living room furniture for my cats to shred.

At least you're a realist!
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

GuitarBrian

• Stubble
« Reply #1320 on: December 11, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
I have wanted a PENN International 30 (actually 2 of them...) since I was 11... I've resisted it this long... Gah
https://www.amazon.com/Penn-International-Trolling-Reel-30VSW/dp/B003OJXCXG
Ah well, maybe if I find someone getting rid of all their gear and it is cheap..

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1321 on: December 16, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »

I always assume it's minuscule when I see those things, and so does every other woman I know.

Indeed. Well at least it's a cheaper way to broadcast it, compared to the usual huge truck or big gun?

No, no no.  Truck testicles must be hung from an $80,000 Ford Raptor to really drive home the point (preferably with even more $$ in after-market crap and a big gun to carry around inside).

Stupid thing I keep thinking of buying:  Breville Smart Oven Air - aka a $350 toaster oven.  It also air frys and can be used as a dehydrator, and has all sorts of programming features that would probably malfunction as soon as it's off warranty.

Rubyvroom

• Stubble
« Reply #1322 on: December 16, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Nintendo Switch so I can play just one game... ZELDA. Bleh.

meghan88

• Bristles
« Reply #1323 on: December 16, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
A facelift.  I'm pushing 60, and only my face looks like it's pushing 60.  The rest of me could pass for 40 or less.  Sigh.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1324 on: December 16, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
Nintendo Switch so I can play just one game... ZELDA. Bleh.

There's also Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. I planning on holding off for at least a couple years though, eventually the console prices will drop.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1325 on: December 17, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
My cross country skiing shoes. I left them behind in our cabin last weel because I was convinced I had another pair at home in the closet. Today I couldn't find that pair. I had to go walking instead. Which is a whole different kind of activity.