Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 139168 times)

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1201 on: November 07, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
This:

https://brausupply.com/products/unibrau-all-in-one-electric-brew-system-v-3

Looks cool but seems ridiculously over-priced for what it is. Also, making your own one of these (from welding together metal down to programming controllers) seems like an awesome FIRE project.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #1202 on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
A racing simulator.

So I can live out my racecar driver fantasies in my own living room.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1203 on: November 07, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
A racing simulator.

You and me both...I stopped racing because it's so expensive.  I found an Obutto R3volution seat for $650 semi-locally, but so far have managed to not go get it. :)

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: November 07, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
OK philosophical question.. When is a stupid thing not a stupid thing?

I mean a Ferrari is stupid by almost all sensible measures.. You can only drive at 65 to 80mph in most places i the USA and you only need say 150hp in almost any sized car to do it.

So is a 220mph/600hp car stupid?.. The easy answer is yes.

But what if you are FIRED with $4m and an annual spend of about $50k.. Would a $1m car that is outrageously over-appointed be stupid in that case? My Wife would argue .. "yes, lets donate that $1m to our fav charity and dig more wells for villages in Africa". A noble persuit but dammit I saved that money and WANT a Ferrari!

OK I don't WANT a Ferrari but the argument stands for any outrageous "want it" item that I have denied buying myself for 35 years.

Disclaimer.. We have about $2.4M, FIRED and I WANT a black Chrylser 300.. Breaking Bad style, but that too is "stupid" based on the definition above.

partgypsy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: November 07, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
I have about 300K net worth plus a few K in checking. I want to buy a 2K ring, but it would be really stupid, because I need to get through a divorce (even if mostly diy going to be a couple K in fees), daughter will need braces in 2 years, have a car payment, house improvement wants, the list goes on. Basically, I can't figure out when I will ever feel comfortable enough to buy myself something that costs 2K, at any time in the foreseeable future.  In fact I kind of need a pair of boots (the soles of my last boots fell apart 2 years ago). It's hard for me to swallow paying $150-200 on real leather boots, which seems to be the going rate nowadays. 

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1206 on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
I have about 300K net worth plus a few K in checking. I want to buy a 2K ring, but it would be really stupid, because I need to get through a divorce (even if mostly diy going to be a couple K in fees), daughter will need braces in 2 years, have a car payment, house improvement wants, the list goes on. Basically, I can't figure out when I will ever feel comfortable enough to buy myself something that costs 2K, at any time in the foreseeable future.  In fact I kind of need a pair of boots (the soles of my last boots fell apart 2 years ago). It's hard for me to swallow paying $150-200 on real leather boots, which seems to be the going rate nowadays.

Well therein lies the Mustachian problem! I.e we deny ourselves buying anything expensive even if it will improves our lives because we are delaying gratification in order to get to FI faster.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1207 on: November 07, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »

Well therein lies the Mustachian problem! I.e we deny ourselves buying anything expensive even if it will improves our lives because we are delaying gratification in order to get to FI faster.

I'll happily compromise on my FI date to have an awesome life now - the thing I try to avoid is unnecessary long-term expenses, i.e. getting a nicer house, expensive cars, etc.  I could easily live somewhere cheaper and buy cheaper cars than I do now, but I find the happy medium - 80% of the benefit for 30% of the cost, if you will.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1208 on: November 07, 2017, 04:26:17 PM »
OK philosophical question.. When is a stupid thing not a stupid thing?

I mean a Ferrari is stupid by almost all sensible measures.. You can only drive at 65 to 80mph in most places i the USA and you only need say 150hp in almost any sized car to do it.

So is a 220mph/600hp car stupid?.. The easy answer is yes.

But what if you are FIRED with $4m and an annual spend of about $50k.. Would a $1m car that is outrageously over-appointed be stupid in that case? My Wife would argue .. "yes, lets donate that $1m to our fav charity and dig more wells for villages in Africa". A noble persuit but dammit I saved that money and WANT a Ferrari!

OK I don't WANT a Ferrari but the argument stands for any outrageous "want it" item that I have denied buying myself for 35 years.

Disclaimer.. We have about $2.4M, FIRED and I WANT a black Chrylser 300.. Breaking Bad style, but that too is "stupid" based on the definition above.

It is relative and different for everyone....

Can we use a sub-compact car when we travel for vacation with my parents? Yes.
Would we be a lot more comfortable in full size SUV? Absolutely.
Does the SUV suck more gas? A lot more, no doubt.
Can we afford the extra cost? Of course.
What does my wife currently drive? a gas guzzling SUV, because that makes her happy, and happy wife is happy me. imo is a lot more important keeping her happy than trying to save some gas/cash.

Speaking about Ferrari, would I have one? Hopefully later in life, but yes I like to own one. Do I think it is sensible to own one? Yes, because if I own one, I will be taking her to a track where I can use all 600 bhp :)  I do not think it is stupid to buy a 50K car when you have 2.4M in the bank. I do think it is stupid to buy 50K car when one is living paycheck to paycheck, but at the end of the day, hey it is your money, you can spend it however you like :)

I am all about saving money and being frugal, but I am also about enjoying life and be comfortable, and I do not mind spending extra for certain things.

I'll happily compromise on my FI date to have an awesome life now - the thing I try to avoid is unnecessary long-term expenses, i.e. getting a nicer house, expensive cars, etc.  I could easily live somewhere cheaper and buy cheaper cars than I do now, but I find the happy medium - 80% of the benefit for 30% of the cost, if you will.

+1
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:28:06 PM by sequoia »

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #1209 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »

I think this is not the point of Mustachianism

Quote from: Mr. Money Mustache
If I were telling you to spend less money just so you could get out of debt, save up a fortune, and then eventually spend loads of money (which I recall is a paraphrase of the Dave Ramsey slogan), the advice would be useless. Because that would imply that the lower-spending portion of your life is less good than the subsequent high-spending part.

Why Should I be Frugal, When Iím So Rich?

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »

I bought the ring for my wife (a little over $2k a decade ago) when my net worth was negative...

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1211 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:44 AM »
This:

https://brausupply.com/products/unibrau-all-in-one-electric-brew-system-v-3

Looks cool but seems ridiculously over-priced for what it is. Also, making your own one of these (from welding together metal down to programming controllers) seems like an awesome FIRE project.

Yeah, I definitely agree that it is overpriced, but if it wasn't ridiculous it wouldn't qualify for the thread. The idea of putting something together on my own is definitely  being entertained...

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1212 on: November 11, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
I want to buy my cat an overpriced catnip "kick stick" instead of saying I'll make one and then never doing it.

MrThatsDifferent

• Stubble
« Reply #1213 on: November 11, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
Did it. Bought an Apple Watch. I actually like it but I doubt Iíll ever make a call on it and I seem to use it to mostly: check time, monitor my health, check my sleep, track exercise and quickly look at messages. My only rationale is that I would have gotten so type of fitness tracker and I like to have a watch (I used to wear both), now itís just all in one.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #1214 on: November 11, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »
a vacation home in another province,
but instead I booked the camping in that area for the whole vacation and it was way cheaper !!

I cancelled the camping and bought the house, very cute cottage, quiet + no pollution, bliss...I'm happy !! Now I'm lusting for more vacation days so I can be there more....

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1215 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
I am currently typing on an iPad 2, which is very old and slow. I have just ordered a newer model. Not the most expensive Pro model, but the one that costs half and is only called iPad. We ordered a lock is Chine for 6 dollars.

kasperle

• Stubble
« Reply #1216 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
I know someone up above just mentioned that they got one, but the thing that I want right now that I need the least is an Apple Watch. A large number of my coworkers have them, and sometimes they look pretty nice. However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get much use out of it to justify the several-hundred dollar cost. Also, one thing I know about myself is that I hate wearing watches, so it doesn't really make any sense that part of me wants one.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #1217 on: November 12, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
Studded Wrathchild tires from 45 NRTH. Not really a dumb thing, I could use them for my heavier snow commuter. 
They are very expensive though, that is the stupid thing.  Not many companies do the 3" studded tires. Most do 4" tires.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #1218 on: November 12, 2017, 11:41:32 PM »
A bloody man. Nothing but trouble!

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1219 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:05 AM »

hahahah... funny but true, so they tell me at least..:)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1220 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
A set of cutlery. We got ours gifted from someone that was downsizing, then a temporary roommate lost a few pieces and replaced them with cheap stuff that doesn't match at all. It really gets on my nerves.
This is my dream: https://www.wmf.com/en/cutlery-set-66-pcs-jette-cromarganr-protect-1274006341.html

That's some expensive silverware!

Well I'm not gonna lust after some Ikea bullshit now, am I?!
Literally snorted at this. Good one!
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Apeshifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1221 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »
A Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clock. (Specifically the Rhodium finished moon-phase one):

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/watches/atmos.html

While I think they look pretty they're also powered by variations in ambient temperature and can run a decade or more before a recommended service cycle. That's part of the hook for me to lust after one.. its damned near being a perpetual motion machine!

This watch site describes how it works and even makes a pitch for it being a "value" buy (Lol):

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-amazing-incredibly-affordable-atmos-clock-from-jaeger-lecoultre

Sun Hat

• Stubble
« Reply #1222 on: November 13, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »

These. Maybe if I work on my flirting I can find a fellow with a cottage!

Also, I had been lusting after a dining room light that actually shed light until I broke down and bought a pretty one yesterday. Not a frugal choice, but also not as outrageous as I had thought it would end up being. Now I worry that the extra light will mean that I have to dust more often.  Greed is onerous - having to flirt AND clean is starting to sound like work!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:57:06 PM by Sun Hat »

Gone_fishing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1223 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
I wanted to buy $50 worth of Lilyís chocolate bars from amazon. Guess what, I did it this week and have no regrets!  In my defense, I donít drink so I have no alcohol budget.  I would classify half this expense under food and the other half under healthcare/medication.  My family knows to feed me a dose when I am out of sorts.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #1224 on: November 13, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Freedom from the shackles of employment.

JK, a McLaren 570s 
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1225 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
An $80 Ember coffee mug.

It knows the temperature you like your coffee, and has multiple sensors and heaters so it keeps every sip the same temperature.

My early morning pre-coffee self isn't as frugal.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1226 on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »
A Zojirushi rice cooker ($130). It keeps rice warm and fresh for 12+ hours... I would 100% snatch up a used one if that even exists though.

PopMegaphone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1227 on: November 14, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
Despite having an Xbox One, PS4 Pro, and Nintendo Switch I really want to buy the new $500 Xbox One X.

If there's a good holiday sale I'm sure I'll pick one up.   I'm weak, MMMers.

TheDuder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1228 on: November 14, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
On that note.....a PS4 Pro. I haven't played video games in I don't know how long (My most current system is a Wii that never gets played) and really don't have time, currently, to sit down for a few hours at a time to get into any games.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1229 on: November 14, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
A set of cutlery. We got ours gifted from someone that was downsizing, then a temporary roommate lost a few pieces and replaced them with cheap stuff that doesn't match at all. It really gets on my nerves.
This is my dream: https://www.wmf.com/en/cutlery-set-66-pcs-jette-cromarganr-protect-1274006341.html

That's some expensive silverware!

Well I'm not gonna lust after some Ikea crap now, am I?!

Literally snorted at this. Good one!

I hope you read it in Jack Donaghy's "farmer" tone, as it was typed.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

rothwem

• Bristles
« Reply #1230 on: November 14, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
There’s a 2002 (E39) 525i for sale right now nearby and even though it’s got 152,000 miles on it, it look looks brand new.  The owner obviously took a lot of care to condition the leather, wax the paint, etc, even the engine bay is clean. It’s also a 5-speed manual with the cold weather, M-Sport and premium packages in silver on black interior.

I need a 15 year old BMW like I need a hole in my head, but this one is exactly like how I would want it and it’s only $5000 so I could easily head over there and plunk down some cash for it. 

I’m trying to be strong.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1231 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
Thereís a 2002 (E39) 525i for sale right now nearby and even though itís got 152,000 miles on it, it look looks brand new.  The owner obviously took a lot of care to condition the leather, wax the paint, etc, even the engine bay is clean. Itís also a 5-speed manual with the cold weather, M-Sport and premium packages in silver on black interior.

I need a 15 year old BMW like I need a hole in my head, but this one is exactly like how I would want it and itís only $5000 so I could easily head over there and plunk down some cash for it. 

Iím trying to be strong.

Only reason I do not have a car with manual is because wife can not drive manual. I know where you coming from. I love older BMW series 5 or 3.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #1232 on: November 15, 2017, 05:18:29 AM »
An $80 Ember coffee mug.

It knows the temperature you like your coffee, and has multiple sensors and heaters so it keeps every sip the same temperature.

My early morning pre-coffee self isn't as frugal.

Wow....might have to put that on my Christmas list.

freya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1233 on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
- An Aerogarden Extra or Ultra so I can grow tomatoes in my apartment year round.  Looking for one on craigslist.  And a water reservoir to keep them topped up while I'm away on business trips.

- Fancy curved "Lotus Leaf" cat climbing shelves that double as wall art (they're beautiful).

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1234 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »
- Fancy curved "Lotus Leaf" cat climbing shelves that double as wall art (they're beautiful).

Welp, adding this to my Amazon wishlist of "things I'll never buy but if someone REALLY wants to get it for me I wouldn't object". Along with tea that's $6.50 per ounce, a $70 portable battery pack, and other stupid stuff.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1235 on: November 15, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
Thereís a 2002 (E39) 525i for sale right now nearby and even though itís got 152,000 miles on it, it look looks brand new.  The owner obviously took a lot of care to condition the leather, wax the paint, etc, even the engine bay is clean. Itís also a 5-speed manual with the cold weather, M-Sport and premium packages in silver on black interior.

I need a 15 year old BMW like I need a hole in my head, but this one is exactly like how I would want it and itís only $5000 so I could easily head over there and plunk down some cash for it. 

Iím trying to be strong.

Only reason I do not have a car with manual is because wife can not drive manual. I know where you coming from. I love older BMW series 5 or 3.

I taught my wife to drive a manual when we first started dating (about thirteen years ago). Every vehicle we've owned has had a manual transmission. We will only make an exception in the future for an electric car or maybe a dual clutch transmission.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1236 on: November 15, 2017, 07:03:26 AM »

Iím trying to be strong.

I taught my wife to drive a manual when we first started dating (about thirteen years ago). Every vehicle we've owned has had a manual transmission. We will only make an exception in the future for an electric car or maybe a dual clutch transmission.

Both my boyfriend and I learned when he bought his Focus ST (which he only kept for a year, thanks MMM). He test drove it on a side road at the dealership since he barely knew how to drive a manual... That was a sketchy ride home from the dealership but now we both know how to drive a manual. It's never too late!

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1237 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
but instead I booked the camping in that area for the whole vacation and it was way cheaper !!

I cancelled the camping and bought the house, very cute cottage, quiet + no pollution, bliss...I'm happy !! Now I'm lusting for more vacation days so I can be there more....

Same here. I caved too, and bought a cottage. Cottage lust is very powerful, especially in the Muskokas. And I don't even live in the same country as the cottage. :/

I do plan on going back every summer and spending at least two weeks there...and other family members who live closer by will make good use of it.

My most recent lust is a townhouse in the city.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1238 on: November 15, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
A house- my family lives in a small condo, but with a new son it's somewhat tight quarters. We probably will move in ~1 year or so (once we have a downpayment saved up so we can keep the condo and rent it), but the 'where' really depends on my future job outlook.

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
    • Black Sheep With Feet
« Reply #1239 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »
a 55 gallon drum of peanut butter...... At $0.25/lb, its tough not to give in.

**Investing, Economics, Early Retirement - BlackSheepWithFeet.com

FIRE.... Remember, it's closer than it feels.

SachaFiscal

• Stubble
« Reply #1240 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:08 AM »
A $400 coat from JCrew. Iím not usually one to lust after clothes but somehow itís caught my eye and I canít stop thinking about it... I donít even need a coat, I have two good ones.

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
    • Black Sheep With Feet
« Reply #1241 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
A racing simulator.

Or flight simulator.. *drooling*

**Investing, Economics, Early Retirement - BlackSheepWithFeet.com

FIRE.... Remember, it's closer than it feels.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #1242 on: November 17, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
This:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/dirtlej-dirtsuit-core-edition-review.html

It would be perfect for a wet Oregon winter.  :)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: November 19, 2017, 05:25:57 AM »
A bunch of mushroom books, specializing per genus. I have three so far, the others are way more expensive than those and are therefore only on my wishlist. I hope to find some second hand some day.

BoneTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1244 on: November 20, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
A compilation CD by the Japanese rock band called Buck-Tick.

Collecting CD and vinyl imports is a guilty pleasure of mine.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:11:24 PM by BoneTree »

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: November 20, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
A bunch of mushroom books, specializing per genus. I have three so far, the others are way more expensive than those and are therefore only on my wishlist. I hope to find some second hand some day.

Second hand is a great idea, but do any of your local libraries have them? At my library, if they don't have a specific book you can use a system to borrow a book from any of 150+ libraries in nearby states. I've found a lot of older and rare books this way.

Then, simply read and copy/take notes on relevant pages?

Shaz_Au

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1246 on: November 20, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »
A GPS Running/Fitness Watch such as a Garmin Forerunner 235 or a Tomtom Runner3.

I justify it as being my daily watch / fitness tracker, I don't have a fitness tracker and I work in a sedentary job so any extra motivation for movement throughout the day would help.

The truth is I'm not a runner, I only run at Parkrun once a week on a Saturday and really over long term that has been intermittent at best.  Very occasionally I will get the pushy out for a ride too.  I currently have an ancient Polar F7 heart rate watch and chest strap that I use when I do "serious" exercise but it doesn't give me my running/riding pace, vO2, map my runs etc.  Yes I have a smartphone and strava, no I don't want to run with my phone.

Crazy isn't it!

big_owl

• Bristles
« Reply #1247 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
I'm lusting after a Ducati 998R right now.  I don't think I'll be talked out of it either, already considering building a shed to house my lawnmower, rototiller, and various other items just to make room in the garage for another Ducati.  It's a slippery slope...

Eporedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just a gal in NW WI
« Reply #1248 on: November 21, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
I need to replace my mattress... queen size... and I'm now lusting after this one: purple.com. After taxes we're talking $1050... and still... I'm tempted.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1249 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
I need to replace my mattress... queen size... and I'm now lusting after this one: purple.com. After taxes we're talking $1050... and still... I'm tempted.

Maybe this post will change your mind?
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/69xqxh/reviewer_asks_question_about_product_safety_and/dhbhqg5/