Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 104952 times)

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1050 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
The stupidest thing I am lustng after right now is a second house. Theoretically, at 1200 sq feet, it is big enough to be our only house but I dont want to move to this tiny tourist town permenantly.

I think about this specific property daily. It is true lust. We went to Europe for a few weeks and I hoped someone would buy it while we were gone to relieve me of the decision about biying it,  ut nope. It was creepy how many "signs" I saw in Romania where we vacationed that I should buy this house. Humans are silly, superstitious creatures.

I THINK I have turned the corner about it today, and I can convince my heart that a second home is not good for us. DH and I will fight about it  because we will always have additional house responsibilities, our work will never be done. And we are JUST at the age where senior body ailments will start to slow us down.

It is not really about the money, although that will be one factor, just not the top factor.

I really, really meed to stay off Realtor.com.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:54:51 PM by iris lily »

Accidental Miser

• Bristles
« Reply #1051 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
The stupidest thing I am lustng after right now is a second house. Theoretically, at 1200 sq feet, it is big enough to be our only house but I dont want to move to this tiny tourist town permenantly.

I think about this specific property daily. It is true lust. We went to Europe for a few weeks and I hoped someone would buy it while we were gone to relieve me of the decision about biying it,  ut nope. It was creepy how many "signs" I saw in Romania where we vacationed that I should buy this house. Humans are silly, superstitious creatures.

I THINK I have turned the corner about it today, and I can convince my heart that a second home is not good for us. DH and I will fight about it  because we will always have additional house responsibilities, our work will never be done. And we are JUST at the age where senior body ailments will start to slow us down.

It is not really about the money, although that will be one factor, just not the top factor.

My DW is afflicted by this particular disease.  I've narrowly escaped purchasing two houses in the last three months.  I've told her that I will never again purchase another piece of real estate as long as I live.  The problem is that she finds really REALLY great deals and I get swept along to the real estate office where I find myself making yet another offer on yet another property.

I feel badly for your poor husband.  I am him.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1052 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
I'm really wanting to buy a Ford mustang right now to drive around in the summer sun, and enjoy ear splitting engine roar and tire smoke.  Not a new one, one of the previous generations.  But I keep asking myself, would I rather just set $10000 on fire and watch that burn? Arguably safer than driving a mustang.

True, but you will have more fun with the mustang :)

I could use a larger tool box. I have a perfectly fine one, but it is small and full of tools. One of those 4 or 5 ft wide with soft closing drawers would be perfect in my garage ha!

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1053 on: September 15, 2017, 06:59:09 AM »

My DW is afflicted by this particular disease.  I've narrowly escaped purchasing two houses in the last three months.  I've told her that I will never again purchase another piece of real estate as long as I live.  The problem is that she finds really REALLY great deals and I get swept along to the real estate office where I find myself making yet another offer on yet another property.

I feel badly for your poor husband.  I am him.

Sadly, he is on board with this ourchase. It is up to me to walk away from it.

Related, i learned many years ago that when the both of us go to look at a classic car, we end up buying it. We no longer look.

I have to stay off Realtor.com.

RelaxedGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1054 on: September 15, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
A new car.  I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf (electric car) and spend a lot of time reading about the Bolt, and Volt, and Tesla 3, and new Leaf, and Ioniq, and E-Golf, and on and on and on.  Two, three, maybe 4 times my current range.  All the fancy new bells and whistles. 

And yet, I have a car that does exactly what I need, with minimal fuss.  Lusting after a new car is stupid.

DarkandStormy

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: September 15, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
A new car.  I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf (electric car) and spend a lot of time reading about the Bolt, and Volt, and Tesla 3, and new Leaf, and Ioniq, and E-Golf, and on and on and on.  Two, three, maybe 4 times my current range.  All the fancy new bells and whistles. 

And yet, I have a car that does exactly what I need, with minimal fuss.  Lusting after a new car is stupid.

What's your '12 Leaf worth?  I think we're due to see some drastic improvements in e-vehicles -> range, more charging options, etc.  Tesla has really been pushing the envelope.  BMW is going away from the traditional combustion engine as well.

Like you said, if you don't have any issues with your range, maintenance, etc. then try to get another couple years out of it.
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spending in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spending needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spending needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Recommended Cell Servce - Google's Project FI: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: September 15, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
I'm of the opinion that chandeliers are essential. :)
I'm not sure that the original intention of this thread was to enable each other, but I'll take it.

Offer's gone in on the chandelier.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

ooeei

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1057 on: September 15, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
A high performance mini-ITX computer, with a 144hz monitor for gaming. My 6 year old full size ATX works well enough with a recent cheap graphics card upgrade, but modern tech can get you so much performance in such a small package it's lustful. I recently took my PC to a family member's house while we rode out Harvey, and moving it was a huge pain in the ass (and it took up a lot of space at their house). Not worth the $1000-1500 it would cost to upgrade for sure, but damn it'd be nice.

Remnace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1058 on: September 15, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
A mountain bike. I'd like to get into the sport, but mountain bikes are fairly pricey and I already have a bike that fits my everyday needs.

khangaroo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #1059 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
The One Ring:

https://www.jenshansen.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-one-ring-gold-plated-tungsten-carbide

I've been wanting it ever since LOTR first came out many, many years ago. I'm a guy that has never worn jewelry except going through a bracelet phase in high school. I'm single therefore it couldn't really replace a wedding ring. I'm pretty fidgety so I can see myself playing with it all the time or taking it off and spinning it.

It would be $129 with shipping to the US. I think I'm going to sleep on it tonight and then make a decision tomorrow morning.
"Live like no one else so that later you can live and give like no one else" - Dave Ramsey
My Story of How I Paid off $81k of Debt in 1 Year and got completely debt-free! http://khang-nguyen.com/?p=624

ooeei

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1060 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
The One Ring:

https://www.jenshansen.com/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-one-ring-gold-plated-tungsten-carbide

I've been wanting it ever since LOTR first came out many, many years ago. I'm a guy that has never worn jewelry except going through a bracelet phase in high school. I'm single therefore it couldn't really replace a wedding ring. I'm pretty fidgety so I can see myself playing with it all the time or taking it off and spinning it.

It would be $129 with shipping to the US. I think I'm going to sleep on it tonight and then make a decision tomorrow morning.

You want it to actually wear it? I could see wanting it for some display or something, but not to wear it in the real world.

If it helps, tungsten carbide is super strong, so if you're ever in a situation where a hospital or EMTs need to cut it off to save your finger, they will probably be delayed. It can be cracked with vice grips, but especially if it's coated in gold and they don't know it's carbide, it might take them a few precious minutes to figure it out.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: September 15, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »
Also, wearing the One Ring seems like a bad idea in general. Unless you want to be hunted down by Nazgul.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Also, wearing the One Ring seems like a bad idea in general. Unless you want to be hunted down by Nazgul.

Hence being "the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now." 

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »

The Bolt (for maximum range) and Ioniq EV (for maximum efficiency) both look really nice. We are planning on buying an electric car at some point. Just not sure when that point is yet.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Hence being "the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now."

precious
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

33 Months till FIRE - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

khangaroo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #1065 on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:36 PM »
The One Ring:

You want it to actually wear it? I could see wanting it for some display or something, but not to wear it in the real world.

If it helps, tungsten carbide is super strong, so if you're ever in a situation where a hospital or EMTs need to cut it off to save your finger, they will probably be delayed. It can be cracked with vice grips, but especially if it's coated in gold and they don't know it's carbide, it might take them a few precious minutes to figure it out.

I see what you did there :D
"Live like no one else so that later you can live and give like no one else" - Dave Ramsey
My Story of How I Paid off $81k of Debt in 1 Year and got completely debt-free! http://khang-nguyen.com/?p=624

Accidental Miser

• Bristles
« Reply #1066 on: September 16, 2017, 05:50:22 AM »

My wedding ring is tungsten carbide.  I do worry about that sometimes.  I've taken to removing it when I do work with my hands.  I've gone through two gold wedding bands in my 30-year marriage back when hard hand work was part of my daily existence. 

If I lose a finger, then so be it.  Frodo did.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1067 on: September 16, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
    I can understand wanting the Ring. It is beautiful, and powerful. Yesssssss, we wants it! Filthy Baggenezzz stole my birthday pressssent!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

SnackDog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1068 on: September 16, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
Three carat round cut Imperial topaz or Paraiba tourmaline. Anyone got a loose one they don't need?
The habit of saving is itself an education; it fosters every virtue, teaches self-denial, cultivates the sense of order, trains to forethought, and so broadens the mind. –Thomas T. Munger

AniMaL11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1069 on: September 16, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »
Going to add an iPhone X to my list.

I probably will hold out until my current iPhone 6plus breaks.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: September 16, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm of the opinion that chandeliers are essential. :)
I'm not sure that the original intention of this thread was to enable each other, but I'll take it.

Offer's gone in on the chandelier.

Sorry/not sorry.  ;)  Good luck on the offer!

Navier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1071 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
A PS4 Pro. And I don't even have a 4K TV (and either won't buy one soon, at least until a 21:9 exists)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RelaxedGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1072 on: Today at 10:03:15 AM »

The Bolt (for maximum range) and Ioniq EV (for maximum efficiency) both look really nice. We are planning on buying an electric car at some point. Just not sure when that point is yet.

Yes!  Those are my 2 faves too.  I keep telling myself to wait 'til I can get a 3 year old off-lease Bolt.  Electric Ioniqs are only going to be sold in California so I doubt I'll find a used one here in Massachusetts.  But if I do it will be a tough call.  In 3 years.  Until then, must stop looking at insideEVs.com.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

33 Months till FIRE - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: Today at 05:41:28 PM »
Lusting to go to the underwater Poseidon Resort in Fiji:

With a 30k/week pricetag i might have to consider it lucky that the place never actually got built.

That's pretty cool, but..for a lot less money, you could go diving. :)

mara

• Stubble
  • Age of enlightenment
« Reply #1075 on: Today at 06:25:21 PM »
Gap Moto leather pants http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1084785&pcid=1072171&vid=1&pid=837280002

Ridiculous price, even at 40% off. But, so cool. What if they fit perfectly? What if that's all I spend on my wardrobe for the whole season? How about for a whole year?

No? Oh, well.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: Today at 06:54:20 PM »
I want this...

Thinking about selling my sports car (~3x the value of the bike) and buying one. We'll see if I can make myself do it - have had my car for nearly 10 years now and it's hard to let go.

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #1077 on: Today at 07:16:50 PM »
Gap Moto leather pants http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1084785&pcid=1072171&vid=1&pid=837280002

Ridiculous price, even at 40% off. But, so cool. What if they fit perfectly? What if that's all I spend on my wardrobe for the whole season? How about for a whole year?

No? Oh, well.

I didn't know the gap even sold things that cost that much at MSRP. It's not exactly a high fashion store. I mean....$500 pants I wouldn't be considering the GAP as my source.

Civex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1078 on: Today at 07:18:13 PM »
Bar top two person arcade game......played a few rounds of the TMNT arcade game with my 7 year old nephew this weekend at a pizza place.....and now I want one in my basement. It would, "only" be ~$500....

mara

• Stubble
  • Age of enlightenment
« Reply #1079 on: Today at 07:57:04 PM »

No? Oh, well.

I didn't know the gap even sold things that cost that much at MSRP. It's not exactly a high fashion store. I mean....$500 pants I wouldn't be considering the GAP as my source.

Well, that's okay then. It's a good thing I didn't get suckered in by clothes that come from a store that should only sell cheap stuff. That was a close call.

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #1080 on: Today at 08:45:15 PM »

No? Oh, well.

Well, that's okay then. It's a good thing I didn't get suckered in by clothes that come from a store that should only sell cheap stuff. That was a close call.

I'm not an expert as I don't buy many clothes and especially women's clothes, but my impression is of the brands GAP owns the quality/price goes from least to most expensive 1. Old Navy 2. Gap 3. Banana republic. I would have expected something like this to be over at Banana republic, but it's entirely possible they've changed their branding image in the last decade or so while I haven't been paying attention ;) The pants do look awesome.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1081 on: Today at 09:47:54 PM »
I want this...

Thinking about selling my sports car (~3x the value of the bike) and buying one. We'll see if I can make myself do it - have had my car for nearly 10 years now and it's hard to let go.

Going to need to see pic of the sport car before we can help you make an informed decision :) Having said that, I understand it is hard to let go. I may have to sell mine here shortly - still struggling and debating what to do.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1082 on: Today at 09:50:30 PM »
I want this...

Going to need to see pic of the sport car before we can help you make an informed decision :) Having said that, I understand it is hard to let go. I may have to sell mine here shortly - still struggling and debating what to do.

Neo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1083 on: Today at 09:55:52 PM »
An older Jeep Wrangler. I have had two at various times in the past and have always loved them. Beyond the vehicle itself I love the Jeep community and 4 wheeling with my family is so much fun. I am a car nut at heart but am currently driving a Nissan Leaf as my commuter. Its totally soulless but its so cheap to operate. The Jeep would be a third vehicle just for weekends and snowy days. I only plan to spend about $6k for the model I want and to make matters worse (better?) my wife is totally on board with the purchase. In a longer term sense I really want an e90 BMW M3. My dream car but those go for about $25k. But that high revving V8 is just a beautiful thing.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1084 on: Today at 10:20:44 PM »
I want this...

Are you running a 400+bhp tune?   If not, tell me what is under the hood right now :)
Prost!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: Today at 10:29:42 PM »
I want this...

Are you running a 400+bhp tune?   If not, tell me what is under the hood right now :)

The tune currently running in the ECU is 430whp because I don't have enough intercooler to sustain 460whp, but yes with about 30 seconds and my laptop I'd be at 460.  I don't have a dyno sheet for the 430whp pull.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but yes that is a dyno sheet from the engine that's currently in my car.  The only differences is I now have GSC valve springs and titanium retainers, whereas the dyno pull was done with stock springs/retainers.

MrThatsDifferent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1086 on: Today at 10:43:59 PM »
Apple Watch 3

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #1087 on: Today at 11:24:13 PM »
I want this...

Whoa... my vote is not to sell the car. You will regret it. They do not make those anymore.