Author Topic: Ways you've boosted earnings (without taking on more debt)  (Read 3555 times)

deek

• Bristles
Ways you've boosted earnings (without taking on more debt)
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
I'm just looking for some assistance and doing some brainstorming on how to bring in more cash so I can be a little bit more flexible about where I'm putting my money (in regards to saving/investing/paying off debt/increasing my emergency fund).

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a Master's degree, but at 26 I have not found a calling yet, and currently work in the retail flooring industry in an office position (being in one place most of the day is not my cup of tea).

Anyone in a similar situation?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ways you've boosted earnings (without taking on more debt)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
My s/o sometimes works weekend bar shifts at festivals / local events. It's very hard work, but it's not that bad if you're young and healthy. It's also a lot of fun with a great camaraderie between the workers and you get to go to events you'd never otherwise visit. I used to do this type of work too, but I can't physically do it anymore. At €10/hour, you can make about €250/gross in a weekend.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »
To help generate more replies you need to provide more insight into your skill sets, education, and background. Are you opposed to manual labor? Traditionally speaking masters degrees are a slippery slope that don't necessarily equate to a good return on investment. How much extra $$$ are you after? How much spare time do you have? How much do you value this spare time? When I was younger I worked every side job I could find and did anything that made money. Landscape, painting, snow removal, auto detailing, boat detailing, decks, fences... Hell I would dog sit for my neighbor for the cash LOL. After a few years I got my first rental and started working for my future. I still take on work to this day, but my spare time is very valuable now that I have a family. I also have multiple rental properties as well as my own home.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
To help generate more replies you need to provide more insight into your skill sets, education, and background. Are you opposed to manual labor? Traditionally speaking masters degrees are a slippery slope that don't necessarily equate to a good return on investment. How much extra $$$ are you after? How much spare time do you have? How much do you value this spare time? When I was younger I worked every side job I could find and did anything that made money. Landscape, painting, snow removal, auto detailing, boat detailing, decks, fences... Hell I would dog sit for my neighbor for the cash LOL. After a few years I got my first rental and started working for my future. I still take on work to this day, but my spare time is very valuable now that I have a family. I also have multiple rental properties as well as my own home.

Thanks for the input!

I make less than 36,000, I am single. I majored in PR/Communications at a private liberal arts school because I knew it was flexible and I have about $26k in student loans. I built up some good writing skills and overall communication (something that is lacking severely in my current line of work). As far as making more money.. even another 3-5k could go far for me right now.

It wasn't until senior year/after college that I realized I really enjoy conservation (wildlife and fish to be more specific) and travel.
My hobbies are golf and bass fishing and I love camping and hiking as well.

I love working on my feet, but the problem is that I have an inflammatory condition that is basically a form of arthritis. One thing that comes into play is that I have great employer healthcare. I'm grateful to be able to afford to take Humira for my condition. It takes a good amount of time to make sure my body stays flexible and healthy.

I have a decent amount of spare time outside of my 9 to 5, but some of that goes toward making sure I eat right, and stay active.

One thing I really would love to learn is video production that documents outdoor adventures. I would also like to learn website creation, but not sure how much time I can dedicate to that right now.

If you'd like more info, don't hesitate to let me know.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:37:38 AM »

Thanks for the input!

I make less than 36,000, I am single. I majored in PR/Communications at a private liberal arts school because I knew it was flexible and I have about $26k in student loans. I built up some good writing skills and overall communication (something that is lacking severely in my current line of work). As far as making more money.. even another 3-5k could go far for me right now.

I love working on my feet, but the problem is that I have an inflammatory condition that is basically a form of arthritis. One thing that comes into play is that I have great employer healthcare. I'm grateful to be able to afford to take Humira for my condition. It takes a good amount of time to make sure my body stays flexible and healthy.

I have a decent amount of spare time outside of my 9 to 5, but some of that goes toward making sure I eat right, and stay active.

In that case, don't do what i suggested in my first post :) I used to take Humira too (different condition though) and I understand how important it is for you to keep your access to Humira. 

I was recently talking to someone about a freelance copywriting gig. It's not for me currently, although I'd like to explore that possibility for the future, but that would fit with your skills and health situation. I guess typing isn't a problem for you if you work in an office environment. This isn't the kind of job that's going to earn you a lot of money in a short period of time, but I think it's worth trying out. You generally get paid by the job, so the more efficient you get at the job, the more you earn.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

Thanks for the input!

In that case, don't do what i suggested in my first post :) I used to take Humira too (different condition though) and I understand how important it is for you to keep your access to Humira. 

I was recently talking to someone about a freelance copywriting gig. It's not for me currently, although I'd like to explore that possibility for the future, but that would fit with your skills and health situation. I guess typing isn't a problem for you if you work in an office environment. This isn't the kind of job that's going to earn you a lot of money in a short period of time, but I think it's worth trying out. You generally get paid by the job, so the more efficient you get at the job, the more you earn.

This is something I would be interested in. I'm just not sure what the best avenue is for copywriting gigs. I actually bought the Adweek Copywriting Handbook last year in case this became a viable way to make some money.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
@dj, if you're interested in copywriting or other freelance writing, there's a few ways forward:

1. Upwork, which is a freelancing website. This is not always incredibly lucrative for your time, and some of the clients are frankly craptastic. However, you can also use this as a base for creating a better portfolio, and maybe getting some repeat clients. The site is free, so as long as you're picky, all you have to invest is time.

2. Aquent is a staffing company that puts lots of creatives (writers, designers, etc) in various positions, typically short-term temp/contract positions. Some positions are part-time, and some are remote. You may have luck here.

3. If you want to get some writing on AND work on your website skills, start up a freelancing site. This should house your portfolio, and if you like the idea of blogging (say, about the outdoors), then the site can function as part of your portfolio as well.

4. If you really, really need to work on building up your portfolio, and are willing to do non-profit work, contact an outdoors/nature non-profit to see if you can do any writing for them. This may be especially effective with small local non-profits, who are often under-funded and over-worked.

I'm sure there are other ways forward, too. Mostly, it's getting yourself up and out there!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
I changed careers and busted my ass. I'm also willing to move to chase jobs, which helps.
2006, retail banking @ ~$21k
2007, law enforcement @ ~$40k
2011, law enforcement @ ~$48k
2013, IT @ ~$40k
2017, IT @ ~$110k

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
I changed careers and busted my ass. I'm also willing to move to chase jobs, which helps.
2006, retail banking @ ~$21k
2007, law enforcement @ ~$40k
2011, law enforcement @ ~$48k
2013, IT @ ~$40k
2017, IT @ ~$110k

This is interesting. One of my good friends is a recruiter for a logistics company and focuses in hiring IT professionals. I worked in my school's IT department for 4 years during college.

It's one industry that will always have demand (at least for the foreseeable future). And it is definitely something I could see myself being successful in. Pair it up with an employer that allows for flexible hours and bingo. Solid career.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »
Since golf and IT were mentioned:
My son, 32, has been playing golf competitively since he was 10 He is not pro level, but wins a lot of amateur things around here. He works for the IT department of a hospital, mostly associated with networking.
He has played for years at the country local golf course about 2 miles from here, bought a house on it, and for the last 5 years gets a free membership for his IT work he does for them.
Granted, a member ship is only $1500, which tells you the kind of course it is, but that's one way to get compensated for one's knowledge.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Sooooo do you have any connections in the flooring business?

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
Sooooo do you have any connections in the flooring business?

Several sales people here in the store, as well as many reps that we buy product from. Good people. I have gained plenty of knowledge about tile/carpet/wood/laminate/LVT/etc. But I'm not ready to say yet that I would consider being a territory rep. Many hours in the vehicle on the road = not good for the back issues. Plus, majority of these guys/gals drink.. a lot. If that's what it takes to build relationships count me out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:04:23 PM by dj »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:15 AM »
Opened a boatload of checking/savings accounts last year and made $6,000 between my wife and I.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
Work for an airline. Travel the world for next to nothing.