Author Topic: VTSAX 13%+ gain YTD  (Read 28408 times)

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
Re: VTSAX 13%+ gain YTD
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »
How many years in a row does the market have to climb ~20% before people stop fearing the next market correction? 

The past nine years have been a modern economic miracle.  Whatever little hiccups come next seems likely to be inconsequential in comparison. 

Like at this point I feel we could mostly shrug off the type of 40% correction that has always previously sparked serious discussion about the end of capitalism and collapse of western society.  Go ahead, take me back to 2015 valuations.  No biggie.
If people are selling appreciating assets because they are in fear, there is always a buyer willing to deal with them. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
How many years in a row does the market have to climb ~20% before people stop fearing the next market correction? 

The past nine years have been a modern economic miracle.  Whatever little hiccups come next seems likely to be inconsequential in comparison. 

Like at this point I feel we could mostly shrug off the type of 40% correction that has always previously sparked serious discussion about the end of capitalism and collapse of western society.  Go ahead, take me back to 2015 valuations.  No biggie.
If people are selling appreciating assets because they are in fear, there is always a buyer willing to deal with them.

@sol exactly dont have to really "sell for a loss" which everyone always fear mongers about when they talk of paying down a mortgage instead of investing.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

I'm not selling, but I'm also uncomfortable with all the talking heads so positive about the market, we have lost the wall of worry that the market uses as a ladder to climb.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:36 PM »
BTD, there are still plenty of doomsday "experts" predicting bad things very soon in the "overvalued" stock market.  There are believers in both the bear and the bull.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
The only market that will 100% crash in the short term is Bitcoin. Glad MMM finally did a write-up on that gross waste of energy and soon to be people's money.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:32 PM »
The answer is always "buy" until you FIRE and then the answer is always "sell 4% each year." Period.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2018, 06:56:05 AM »
Guys.  All this talk of hoping for a correction so one can buy cheaper is wrong thinking on many levels.  I would discourage it.

Yup. So many examples of people sitting on the sidelines in fear have been posted on this forum in 2016...some for years. The most liberating thing I've learned about investing is that I cannot predict the future so just invest my money in broad market index funds and get on with working on parts of my FIRE plan that I can control like savings/spending and staying healthy so I can actually take advantage of the free time I'm working towards when I do FIRE.

This is why I love MMM. Reminds me of the basics and keeps me focused. Thanks!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »
The only market that will 100% crash in the short term is Bitcoin. Glad MMM finally did a write-up on that gross waste of energy and soon to be people's money.

There will be more 30, 40 maybe 50% corrections in the stock market.  Diversified portfolios that are properly minded will survive.  Crypto currency without a government backing will eventually be restrained and most will collapse. I made a few bucks playing with coins last year.  I took profits and now hold cash in USD.  What made crypto so popular was the lure of almost free money and lack of any regulations.   Its popularity will bring regulations and standards. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
The answer is always "buy" until you FIRE and then the answer is always "sell 4% each year." Period.

That's only if you can't figure out how to sell at the top and buy at the bottom. ;-)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »

That's only if you can't figure out how to sell at the top and buy at the bottom. ;-)

Don't try to time the markets. That's like feeding a mogwai after midnight. The consequences are dire.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »

Don't try to time the markets. That's like feeding a mogwai after midnight. The consequences are dire.
Awe come on White, I've been investing 35 yrs, it took me two years, but after that, I learned to pick the exact low to buy and the exact high to sell. I think I'll right a book on "How to Time the Market". Nah, with all the money I have made timing the market, I should just have it printed and give it away!  :-)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »

Awe come on White, I've been investing 35 yrs, it took me two years, but after that, I learned to pick the exact low to buy and the exact high to sell. I think I'll right a book on "How to Time the Market". Nah, with all the money I have made timing the market, I should just have it printed and give it away!  :-)

By Pete, you have committed heresy! It is forbidden on MMM to time the markets. Your penance is to read John Bogle's "The Clash of Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation" three times.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

Please give it away, because everyone deserves a copy of any book you right.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

I hope everyone realizes my first line,
" That's only if you can't figure out how to sell at the top and buy at the bottom. ;-)"
 was a facitious statement, then I expanded on that, when I got a somewhat serious warning about timing the market.
 I held on through 2008 and 09, to a loss of $230k, I don't time the market.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

" That's only if you can't figure out how to sell at the top and buy at the bottom. ;-)"
 was a facitious statement, then I expanded on that, when I got a somewhat serious warning about timing the market.

It was quite obvious. IMO. But if you do figure out how to time the market and RIGHT a book I'd like to know how to do both. Unless we're just talking about setting up a book vertically that's got the info to time the market. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »

Jeez, someone thought I was somewhat serious about something. I'm losing my edge.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »

It was quite obvious. IMO. But if you do figure out how to time the market and RIGHT a book I'd like to know how to do both. Unless we're just talking about setting up a book vertically that's got the info to time the market.
I'm losing it too, I didn't figure out what you meant here, until I reread my post, where I
rote right instead of write. :-)

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2018, 11:36:40 PM »
There will be more 30, 40 maybe 50% corrections in the stock market. 

I sincerely hope that the dips are that shallow.  People these days don't remember The Great Depression.  Stock market lost about 90% of its valuation over a 2.5 year period and took 25 years to see the same market value before the crash.

This is a graph I've been pondering for a while and wondering what I'd do if I saw a crash like this.  This graph makes all of the other corrections seem like child play - mostly because they have been.
https://virtueofselfishinvesting.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/reports/2017/4675/history_of_market_corrections2-hires.png?link=mktw

Considering most here need ~1M for themselves and their lives (with a spouse)... if this were to happen immediately after FIRE you are for sure going back to work.  You're 4% SWR will only get you 4k/year or 2.5 years if you pull the 40k out each year.  That cash flow won't last a 25 year depression in our environment.  I can live with flat times, even transient dips (on a 5ish year time period - which the vast majority of dips are), but shit man - a 25 year drought might ruin me.  I really hope I never see it, but I do acknowledge The Great Depression as the worst case scenario.

As someone else has already pointed out though is that even if the market did correct to 2500 points (can you imagine!!!?!?!?!) that everyone would still have their equity.  It would become very important to hold onto as much of it as possible if this happened.  Getting a job for another 25 years would for sure be the ultimate goal to try to hold on, but it could be very difficult to secure employment if that happened.

I remember my grandfather not wanting to talk about the depression it was so bad.

Edit to change the photo to a link - it's so large (pixel-wise) that it doesn't format well.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2018, 12:24:06 AM »

I sincerely hope that the dips are that shallow.  People these days don't remember The Great Depression.  Stock market lost about 90% of its valuation over a 2.5 year period and took 25 years to see the same market value before the crash.

This is a graph I've been pondering for a while and wondering what I'd do if I saw a crash like this.  This graph makes all of the other corrections seem like child play - mostly because they have been.
https://virtueofselfishinvesting.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/reports/2017/4675/history_of_market_corrections2-hires.png?link=mktw

Considering most here need ~1M for themselves and their lives (with a spouse)... if this were to happen immediately after FIRE you are for sure going back to work.  You're 4% SWR will only get you 4k/year or 2.5 years if you pull the 40k out each year.  That cash flow won't last a 25 year depression in our environment.  I can live with flat times, even transient dips (on a 5ish year time period - which the vast majority of dips are), but shit man - a 25 year drought might ruin me.  I really hope I never see it, but I do acknowledge The Great Depression as the worst case scenario.

As someone else has already pointed out though is that even if the market did correct to 2500 points (can you imagine!!!?!?!?!) that everyone would still have their equity.  It would become very important to hold onto as much of it as possible if this happened.  Getting a job for another 25 years would for sure be the ultimate goal to try to hold on, but it could be very difficult to secure employment if that happened.

I remember my grandfather not wanting to talk about the depression it was so bad.

Edit to change the photo to a link - it's so large (pixel-wise) that it doesn't format well.

I hope we never see losses beyond 50% again.  I don't think many jobs will survive that level of dip again.  Global war may very well break out if it does now.  There could be a push to eliminate people in such a case and war is highly effective at that. 

FireTheWorldOver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2018, 12:28:15 AM »

You are missing some very important details related to the depression.  The main one is dividends.  It took only 4.5 years after the bottom to break even with dividends, which would be 7 years from the peak if you went all-in in 1929.  The market dividend yield at the bottom was 14%. There was also 18% deflation which made everything cheaper reducing your needed withdraw rate.

Certainly still a very tough economic time,  but not as bad as the 25 years you fear.  It should be survivable with mustachian adjustments or a more conservative asset allocation than 100% stocks.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »
Yes the depression is a bad choice for worst case scenario. Worst case in history was 1966 and the few years around that due to hyperinflation.  And even in both those cases sticking to a 4% swr the retirees money still lasted over 20 years and with some minor flexibility it would have lasted forever. By minor flexibility I mean being able to adjust your spending down by 15% or a bit less for a few years or finding some odd jobs to supplement that 15%

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »
Here is more complete data for 2016 taken from https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/historical-asset-class-returns:

Inflation                       2.04%

US Stock Market                 12.53%
US Large Cap                    11.82%
US Large Cap Value              16.75%
US Large Cap Growth             5.99%
US Mid Cap                      11.07%
US Mid Cap Value                15.11%
US Mid Cap Growth               6.62%
US Small Cap                    18.17%
US Small Cap Value              24.65%
US Small Cap Growth             10.61%
US Micro Cap                    21.47%

Intl Stock Market               4.65%
Developed Markets               2.45%
International Small Cap         4.17%
International Value             5.05%
European Stocks                 -0.80%
Pacific Stocks                  5.19%
Emerging Markets                11.55%

Cash                            0.20%
Short Term Treasury             1.09%
Intermediate Term Treasury      1.19%
10-year Treasury                1.00%
Long Term Treasury              1.21%
Total Bond Market               2.50%
TIPS                            4.52%
Global Bonds (Unhedged)         4.02%
Global Bonds (USD Hedged)       6.07%
Short-Term Investment Grade     2.75%
Corporate Bonds                 6.21%
Long-Term Corporate Bonds       7.83%
High Yield Corporate Bonds      11.21%
Short-Term Tax-Exempt           0.36%
Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt    0.09%
Long-Term Tax-Exempt            0.62%

REIT                            8.34%
Gold                            8.03%
Precious Metals                 50.64%
Commodities                     10.12%

Same data for 2017:

Inflation                       2.11%

US Stock Market                 21.05%
US Large Cap                    21.67%
US Large Cap Value              16.99%
US Large Cap Growth             27.65%
US Mid Cap                      19.12%
US Mid Cap Value                16.91%
US Mid Cap Growth               21.72%
US Small Cap                    16.10%
US Small Cap Value              11.67%
US Small Cap Growth             21.78%
US Micro Cap                    12.47%

Intl Stock Market               27.33%
Developed Markets               26.40%
International Small Cap         30.12%
International Value             21.25%
European Stocks                 26.82%
Pacific Stocks                  28.39%
Emerging Markets                31.11%

Cash                            0.80%
Short Term Treasury             0.31%
Intermediate Term Treasury      1.59%
10-year Treasury                2.39%
Long Term Treasury              8.60%
Total Bond Market               3.45%
TIPS                            2.81%
Global Bonds (Unhedged)         9.45%
Global Bonds (USD Hedged)       4.42%
Short-Term Investment Grade     2.13%
Corporate Bonds                 7.06%
Long-Term Corporate Bonds       11.96%
High Yield Corporate Bonds      7.03%
Short-Term Tax-Exempt           1.00%
Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt    4.55%
Long-Term Tax-Exempt            6.44%

REIT                            4.83%
Gold                            12.81%
Precious Metals                 13.75%
Commodities                     3.89%

Interesting to see reversals in outperformance from year to year (small vs large, growth vs value)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
A nice chart, though doesn't break up as much as you could Investment Returns By Asset Class, 2016 Year-End Review

Bumping this old thread, here is the equivalent asset class returns for 2017 (source):

And for 2018, here is how things look for a not so good year (source):

The data above doesn't mention it, but cash was the best performing asset class for the year.
More detailed data from https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/historical-asset-class-returns:

Inflation                       2.24%

US Stock Market                 -5.26%
US Large Cap                    -4.53%
US Large Cap Value              -5.55%
US Large Cap Growth             -3.46%
US Mid Cap                      -9.34%
US Mid Cap Value                -12.55%
US Mid Cap Growth               -5.71%
US Small Cap                    -9.43%
US Small Cap Value              -12.34%
US Small Cap Growth             -5.80%
US Micro Cap                    -17.12%

Intl Stock Market               -14.44%
Developed Markets               -14.46%
International Small Cap         -18.52%
International Value             -14.66%
European Stocks                 -14.89%
Pacific Stocks                  -13.98%
Emerging Markets                -14.71%

Cash                            1.81%

Short Term Treasury             1.35%
Intermediate Term Treasury      1.00%
10-year Treasury                0.99%
Long Term Treasury              -1.90%
Total US Bond Market            -0.13%
TIPS                            -1.56%
Global Bonds (Unhedged)         -4.06%
Global Bonds (USD Hedged)       -0.46%
Short-Term Investment Grade     0.86%
Corporate Bonds                 -3.79%
Long-Term Corporate Bonds       -5.95%
High Yield Corporate Bonds      -2.96%   
Short-Term Tax-Exempt           1.53%
Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt    1.18%
Long-Term Tax-Exempt            0.90%

REIT                            -6.11%
Gold                            -1.94%
Precious Metals                 -10.79%
Commodities                     -13.88%

Markets give, markets take :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »
Just checked VTSAX for it's gain this year.
It's up about 12% plus another 1.82% of dividends.
 If you had your $1M in VTSAX and spent $40,000,
your portfolio still has and extra $90,000.
 May the good times continue.

What a Revolting Development.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
What a Revolting Development.

I don't think that graph is total return. When you factor in dividends and price change, $10,000 invested in VTSAX on 12/31/2016 would be worth $11,490 on 12/1/2019. Is that roughly 7% annual return, if I am doing my math right? Nothing to sneeze at

($10,000 in equivalent international fund, or total US bond fund would be worth $10,914 and $10,353 respectively over the same time period)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
 Ya, I see the glass can be half full :-)
 I was retired (as in no more work income) by Hurricane Michael on Oct 10th.
(business totaled)
Since then, my total portfolio is down about $150,000, so the timing is not great for retirement.
 However, the glass really is half full, in that we over saved, I can collect SS anytime I want to,
 and my wife is just a few years behind me, so sequence of returns should not be a problem.
  It was just a lot more fun watching the market when it was going up.  :-)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
I accidentally protected my investments a little when I did my regular rebalancing in December, so I'm still ahead by 6.8% during this Bear Market. That's pretty close to 7% so nothing has really happened to be honest. And I'm not planning to retire for at least another 8 years (at the earliest) so whatever.