Author Topic: Vitamix worth it? and Aldi's has a knock off 1/5/16 for 79.99  (Read 16859 times)

MMM98

• Stubble
Vitamix worth it? and Aldi's has a knock off 1/5/16 for 79.99
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
As you can see it is a 2 part question are these large blenders worth the 400.00+ price they command with alternatives being used models, knock offs or competing models.

On the Aldi model that I mentioned in the title, in 2014 it was offered in the AUS market but it had (fixable) bearing problems: http://protyposis.net/blog/fixing-a-leaking-or-stiff-vitamix-kuchef-omniblend-etc-blender-blade-assembly/ the main issue being the bearings are the same size as roller skate bearings; but in fact require higher spec bearings.  I didn't point this out to start a brand war but rather their are quite a few Aldi loyalists here so it is worth noting. 

Back to the main question:  While I don't below that I am entitled to a great blender I do believe that the pain of a quality well used tool is only felt once but the pleasure of using it is remembered every time it is used.  I feel that way about my kitchen aid mixer.  But let's be honest this is just a blender, is  it really worth it?

Jschange

Re: Vitamix worth it? and Aldi's has a knock off 1/5/16 for 79.99
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
I burnt out motors in several blenders before getting a vitamix. I hear that blendtec is on par with vitamix, but I have only used them while visiting. Both are louder than another blender and the experience of using one is not special.  I also see them used pretty often.

If you don't do blender killing activities in a regular blender, a fancy one is probably of no benefit to you

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
As you can see it is a 2 part question are these large blenders worth the 400.00+ price they command with alternatives being used models, knock offs or competing models.

On the Aldi model that I mentioned in the title, in 2014 it was offered in the AUS market but it had (fixable) bearing problems: http://protyposis.net/blog/fixing-a-leaking-or-stiff-vitamix-kuchef-omniblend-etc-blender-blade-assembly/ the main issue being the bearings are the same size as roller skate bearings; but in fact require higher spec bearings.  I didn't point this out to start a brand war but rather their are quite a few Aldi loyalists here so it is worth noting. 

Back to the main question:  While I don't below that I am entitled to a great blender I do believe that the pain of a quality well used tool is only felt once but the pleasure of using it is remembered every time it is used.  I feel that way about my kitchen aid mixer.  But let's be honest this is just a blender, is  it really worth it?

Kind of depends on your use case. I went through 2 wal-mart blenders and one vita-knockoff before buying a refurb blendtec. Ours gets used multiple times a day between smoothies, nut butters, pancake batter, ice cream and sauces.

Folks here have pointed out a cheapy blender and separate food processor will do the same and the latter a better job chopping/shredding, etc... And they're right, but at the cost of convenience in terms of multiple appliances and more difficult cleanup.

They are well built quality machines with long warranties but firmly in the 'nice to have' category due to cost.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »
I went through a blender a year before I bought my Vitamix 7ish+ years ago. I love the thing. I use it for everything, from salsa, to sherbet, to smoothies, to grounding coffee and flour. I use it on avg once a day and have for as long as I have owned it.

I would not bat a eye if I had to replace it tmrw.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
I don't know how old my Vitamix is but I've had it for at least 5 years. I use it nearly every single day and I reckon despite being dear its worth it.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:10:29 PM »
Another one for team Vitamix here . . . I went through 3 blenders before buying it and have had it at least five years and it is still going strong with near daily use.  It is worth it.

babytuckoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
We have vitamix used in a restaurant kitchen for 2 years (daily) and now used at home for 2 years. Still running strong. It's an anecdote, but it's a great machine and worth the price if you plan on using it a lot and want to avoid replacing it regularly. my 2 cents.

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »
They are absolutely worth it. Even the certified reconditioned ones include the same warranty. YouTuber Blending With Henry has great Vitamix vs the competition videos.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
Another vote for Vitamix. I most typically use mine for smoothies of all kinds, breakfast eggnogs (with pasteurized eggs), and all kinds of soups--most typically potato, potato-leek, or potato-carrot-leek--and gazpacho in the warm months.

I bought mine when we were bringing an elderly relative home from the Rehab., and he was going to have to have a pureed diet. He is gone now, God bless him, but the Vitamix is still here, and now that I have it, I would never use another blender.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
Am I correct to assume this is a totally frivolous item for someone who doesn't make soup, nut butters, or other blended food regularly? I have a $30 hand blender that I use maybe once a week and am 100% happy with it. Not doubting that it's worthwhile for many, but I'd guess that it's a wild overspend for those of us who are not fancy home chefs.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »
Well, it just depends what you need it for, and how often.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »
Am I correct to assume this is a totally frivolous item for someone who doesn't make soup, nut butters, or other blended food regularly? I have a $30 hand blender that I use maybe once a week and am 100% happy with it. Not doubting that it's worthwhile for many, but I'd guess that it's a wild overspend for those of us who are not fancy home chefs.

I think you are right here. I don't consider myself a fancy home chef though. I also have never made a nut butter. I use it for smoothies, soups, home made ice creams (basically frozen fruit) and occasionally I use it for something like a guacamole. It gets used though basically every day.

If you don't use it regularly then a cheaper option would be fine.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
The Vitamix is NOT "just a blender." This thing is a blender like Michael Jordan is pretty good at basketball. It is a life-changing kitchen appliance, and I'm not exaggerating. It will revolutionize your concept of blenders. It will massively increase the spectrum and quality of things you are able to cook at home. To call this a blender is an insult to the Vitamix. :-)

I never really liked smoothies before, because they were always lumpy or stringy, and now I drink one for breakfast daily. I don't put ice in my smoothies, but for margaritas, etc., it blows the ice to smithereens. No chunks. Soups and sauces are super smooth. No need to chop up anything before you toss it in -- it can handle a frozen banana broken in half, big chunks of ginger, etc. On the other hand, if you want to leave things a bit chunky, like guacamole, that's totally doable, too.

Yeah, it's loud, but no big deal. It's over in a minute or two. You don't have to wrestle with it forever like you do with a blender. (What's more annoying, a minute of a loud noise, or 10 minutes of on, off, scrape it down, on again, off again, scrape, scrape, on again, etc.)

You can also grind your own spices, flour, nuts, etc. And yes, it makes great nut butter.

As someone mentioned above, if mine broke today, I'd buy a new one immediately without giving it a second thought. (That is, if it didn't have a warranty. I believe new ones have a 15 year warranty and reconditioned ones have a 5 year warranty.)

I got mine reconditioned from Vitamix 3 years ago, and I've used it at least once a day and sometimes as many as 5-10 times a day. It still works as well as it did on Day 1. My boyfriend has had his (reconditioned) for two years. My mom has had hers for 3 years. All are still in perfect condition despite daily use. I even know someone who owns multiple homes and has one for each house!

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
i bought my vitimix at costco at the end of the day from the demo guy.  It was the floor model and i got i think $100 off.  I love it, i do not regret it at all.  My sister had the super ninja for a while but her husband got so grossed out with the hard to reach funk in the many crevices of that thing that when it died he bought her a used vitimix from ebay to replace it. 

Haven't tried a blendtec but i know my husband would love to try to blend marbles in it (as advertised).

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Love my Vita-Mix.  Bought one for my mom.  She loves it too.

Moostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 04:49:19 AM »
For me it has been a nice convenience but I gave my mother one a few years ago and it has been life changing and ultimately lifesaving for her.  In the beginning it allowed her to eat foods she loves but otherwise avoids due to diverticulitis but in the last year it turned into her life support system

Her thyroid grew to be so large that even with the most careful and fastidious chewing she was at constant risk of choking to death.  The vittamix allowed her to continue to get the nutrition she needed until she could be approved for and go through surgery to get her thyroid removed.

I know after that I will always keep a vitamix around.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
I'll jump in on the Vitamix wagon too..

We've used ours 2-4 times a day every day for 2+ years.  Walked through Costco dozens of times and watched the demo.  One day our youngest, who refuses to eat fruit and vegetables (we hide them in other recipes), watches the demo of a spinach smoothie and says "I'm going to drink that."  Sure enough he did and in the cart it went.  The kids have been getting two smoothies every day since (1 nut/coconut milk/cocoa and 1veggie/fruit).  It also allows us to mix in some collagen protein and probiotics without it being clumpy.   

We also use it for soups, marinara sauce, etc.  It really is a nice piece of kitchen equipment. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:16:51 AM by MM_MG »

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »
I'm not a fancy pants cook. My diet is simple but full of fruit and veggies, the latter of which regular blenders can't always handle. I use my Vitamix all the time. I appreciate that it can do so many different things (one appliance and many functions => less clutter). I used the "Blending With Henry" site and found it helpful when I was deciding whether or not to make this purchase.

I use it for:
1) Smoothies - it can deal with anything I put it
2) Soups - especially appreciated in the summer when I can make a cold soup with great ease
3) Hummus/dips/etc.
4) Dressings
5) Drinks
6) Ice cream (frozen fruit)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:54:50 AM by Exhale »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
I'm not a fancy pants cook. My diet is simple but full of fruit and veggies, the latter of which regular blenders can't always handle. I use my Vitamix all the time. I appreciate that it can do so many different things (one appliance and many functions => less clutter). I used the "Blending With Henry" site and found it helpful when I was deciding whether or not to make this purchase.

I use it for:
2) Soups - especially appreciated in the summer when I can make a cold soup with great ease
3) Hummus/dips/etc.
4) Dressings
5) Drinks

I have been wondering about the Vitamix after all the rave reviews on here. But I don't make any of the above things at home. I have a small blender that I use about 1x or 2x a month.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »

I use it for:
3) Hummus/dips/etc.
4) Dressings
5) Drinks

I have been wondering about the Vitamix after all the rave reviews on here. But I don't make any of the above things at home. I have a small blender that I use about 1x or 2x a month.

This is me too. My diet is 80-90% fruits and veggies, but I eat them raw or sauteed and enjoy them just fine like that. I honestly don't doubt that the Vitamix hype is real, so I guess my question is: were folks making blended things all the time prior to owning a Vitamix or did they discover the wonder of blended foods after the splurge? Because I've had some delicious soups and smoothies, both homemade and at fancypants restaurants. But even after having those, I've never said to myself that I need more blended food in my life. Please let me know if I'm missing something, because I'm genuinely curious.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »

I use it for:
3) Hummus/dips/etc.
4) Dressings
5) Drinks

This is me too. My diet is 80-90% fruits and veggies, but I eat them raw or sauteed and enjoy them just fine like that. I honestly don't doubt that the Vitamix hype is real, so I guess my question is: were folks making blended things all the time prior to owning a Vitamix or did they discover the wonder of blended foods after the splurge? Because I've had some delicious soups and smoothies, both homemade and at fancypants restaurants. But even after having those, I've never said to myself that I need more blended food in my life. Please let me know if I'm missing something, because I'm genuinely curious.

I can't speak for everyone but I've been doing a shake/smoothie or sometimes two every day of my life since my late 20's. It's a great way to get extra greens in yours diet and extra calories if you're like me and have trouble keeping weight/muscle on. I've gone through so many cheap blenders. And even if that didn't add up to the cost, the blendtec ones are so much smoother and save you time chopping stuff up. Worth it.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 06:59:02 AM »
Captain of the BlendTec fanclub here. I've had one for 9 years and use it most every day. The counter is over 3,000. Never had a problem. I can't think of anything I've had for 9 years - hell, three years -- that's given me no issues.

Sure, it's loud, but it has a freakin' 1/2 HP motor in it and, as the "will it blend" videos show, it's powerful. I drink green smoothies every day and BlendTec inspired me to make a non-MMM purchase: another BlendTec.

We have a second home/rental property 850 miles away we use several weeks a year. We usually drive there and I got tired of lugging the BlendTec. (We leave a $20 Oster out for the renters and have several locked owner's closets for storage.) I went on Craigslist and found a near-new BlendTec for sale 90 miles from me for $50. I had an appointment there anyway and met the seller at a Starbucks. I wanted to make sure the thing worked, so I poured in some water, plugged it in -- I was thrilled when the counter read 275 -- and let it rip. The Starbucks people gave us evil looks. Maybe they thought we were mixing our own drinks or making an anti-Starbucks video.

Anyway, I took the "new" BlendTec home and my 2006 model is now locked in my owner's closet 850 miles away.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
Holy shit. We're talking about $500 blenders here? Seems like you can buy a good Cuisinart for the soups, etc. and a pretty darn good blender for the smoothies and still have a couple hundred bucks leftover.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here but another part of me wants to go all Roadhouse on this thread with the facepunches.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
I have a 1970's Osterizer blender that works great for blending.  We regularly do smoothies and blend up stuff to thicken soups.  It works great.  IMHO, no blender is worth 400-500$, that said . . . grinding nuts or making my own flour isn't really a high priority in our house.

susaninsd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »
Another fan of the Vitamix.  Bought a refurbished one from their website 10ish years ago and use it daily/several times a day.  I finally made the purchase after burning up three regular household blenders blenders in three months.  Each month I bought a slightly more powerful/better quality blender with the same result.  The Vitamix will blend frozen fruit for smoothies without complaint.  Rather than tossing fruit that's on its way out (like bananas), I throw the fruit in a container in the freezer and use it for smoothies.  Also, if a particular fruit is on sale, I'll buy as much as I have room for in the freezer.  Love how smoothly everything is blended -- no lumps/straw clogs.  Love it for soups, sauces, dips.  The only thing I've had to replace is the black rubber top because my dad accidentally threw away the original - $19 on amazon for an aftermarket version.  It's my favorite kitchen appliance.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
A lot of people have burned through blenders prior to their Vitamix's, but what were the quality of those blenders? Are you going from $30 blenders to the Vitamix? Or, is there really nothing else out there that would do the job well for less?

I'm still holding back the Shaolin Five Finger Face Punch O Dealth here, but I just can't wrap my head around this.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
Holy shit. We're talking about $500 blenders here? Seems like you can buy a good Cuisinart for the soups, etc. and a pretty darn good blender for the smoothies and still have a couple hundred bucks leftover.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here but another part of me wants to go all Roadhouse on this thread with the facepunches.

They're $330-350 refurb with a 5 year warranty, that's the way any mustachian would go, or used on craigslist.

Your facepunching would be warranted if the blenders weren't actually better than a cheap blender and if was just marketing fluff. But they are better, in both function and quality/longevity. If you regularly use them for the things they're better at they are worth the money. If you don't and just got one (probably on a payment plan) because they're the yuppie kitchen toy du jour then facepunch away my friend. :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »
I haven't heard anyone using a vitamix longer that I've been using my '70s Osterizer . . . so that kinda kills the longevity argument.  :P

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Only if we all had one that lasted that long! I think things of old used to be more overbuilt.

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
Another Blendtec fan here. The thing I most love about them is they're so easy to clean. Both of us hates cleaning the old blender-- taking it apart, watch out for the blades, putting it back together. It was such a hassle no one wanted to use the blender. The Blendtec is so much easier to clean that we don't hesitate to use it anymore. Drop a drop of dishwasher soap, add water and blend.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »

They're $330-350 refurb with a 5 year warranty, that's the way any mustachian would go, or used on craigslist.

Your facepunching would be warranted if the blenders weren't actually better than a cheap blender and if was just marketing fluff. But they are better, in both function and quality/longevity. If you regularly use them for the things they're better at they are worth the money. If you don't and just got one (probably on a payment plan) because they're the yuppie kitchen toy du jour then facepunch away my friend. :)

Holy shit. We're talking about $330+ blenders here? It still seems extreme.

Again, is there nothing out there for a (cough) relatively frugal $200? $150? Or, even $100 that compares?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »
Another Blendtec fan here. The thing I most love about them is they're so easy to clean. Both of us hates cleaning the old blender-- taking it apart, watch out for the blades, putting it back together. It was such a hassle no one wanted to use the blender. The Blendtec is so much easier to clean that we don't hesitate to use it anymore. Drop a drop of dishwasher soap, add water and blend.

I've never used a Blendtec, so I can't comment on whether I like it or not, but cleaning a Vitamix works exactly the same way.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »
You guys do know that any blender can be cleaned by adding a drop of dishwasher soap, adding water and blending . . . right?  The blades spin the water, the soap grabs the grease.  Then you rinse it out.  There's no magic going on there.

Bbbent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
I'm going to put in a nod for the Ninja Blender.  We picked one up at Costco 2 years ago based on its excellent rating on Cooks Illustrated (we do what Chris Kimball tells us to do...)

Can't speak to it's ability as a juicer, since we don't use it that way. But it's been excellent all around.  Dramatically less expensive than the Vitamix.   

Sorry, don't remember how much we paid for it exactly.  The model that Costco currently has looks to be about $170?

MMM98

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »
If anyone is interested I did a side by side comparison of the aldi knock off to a vitamix 6500.  I did a minor disassembly: I  measured the weight of major components, measured the thickness of the container and the wattage of the machine.  I did some basic performance tests.

BLUF  [bottom line up front] it is a reasonable clone that will give you 80 to 85% performance at a fraction of the cost  The main downside being no low RPM.

The container is 20% thinner. The bearings are stiffer, the base is slightly lighter.  The motor is amazingly similar.  BTW the Vitamix motor , production date April 2015, is made in Mexico.  The peak wattage is slightly over stated on the Aldi model but understated on the VM.

Blend quality: on ice drinks either is adequate.  On humus the Aldi model fails.  This use is probably in the obscure hardcore use category for most casual cooks.  I did not attempt any green smoothies.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
I use my 20 year old food processor that we got second hand for hummus.  :P  Not even sure what brand it is.  Works great.

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
You guys do know that any blender can be cleaned by adding a drop of dishwasher soap, adding water and blending . . . right?  The blades spin the water, the soap grabs the grease.  Then you rinse it out.  There's no magic going on there.

Mine had a gasket in the bottom that required you to unscrew the bottom part, remove, wash and dry gasket before you put it back together. You could skip it, but considering how gross the gasket part got from various juices that slipped in, I would not do that.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »

About the ease of cleanup, the sealed containers vs. the take apart versions are what people are talking about. The old school take apart ones can be a PITA to get disassembled and the gasket can a good bit of crud stuck under it. Although I'll say that is a pretty minor thing considering how often you have to do it.

In terms of the cost question above, I'd say to compare both a blender *AND* food processor to the cost. Granted the vitamix/blendtec isn't as versatile a chopper but it's a more realistic comparo than just blender to blender. And make sure both of them are quality units and not wal-mart specials.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 01:39:38 PM »
My husband and I received a Vitamix for a wedding present (we never would have sprung for it ourselves).  Now that we have it, we love it. 

I agree with other posters that if you're just doing smoothies or basic pureeing, then a regular blender will do.  The Vitamix can make hot soup (butternut squash/coconut is our favorite) in 3 minutes right from the raw ingredients.  We also use it to make smoothie-ice cream:  use frozen fruit, protein powder and a splash of milk or yogurt and hey presto!  after a minute you have a soft serve ice cream.  Peach+ grapes+ginger+ almond milk is our favorite.  Any fruit (or veggie) that's on the way out can be saved from the waste bin just by popping it in the freezer, for use later on.  Haven't tried to grind coffee beans or flour yet...

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 02:38:35 PM »
About the ease of cleanup, the sealed containers vs. the take apart versions are what people are talking about. The old school take apart ones can be a PITA to get disassembled and the gasket can a good bit of crud stuck under it. Although I'll say that is a pretty minor thing considering how often you have to do it.

In terms of the cost question above, I'd say to compare both a blender *AND* food processor to the cost. Granted the vitamix/blendtec isn't as versatile a chopper but it's a more realistic comparo than just blender to blender. And make sure both of them are quality units and not wal-mart specials.

Yeah, I probably didn't have to take it apart every time to clean, but since it was mostly used for drinks and smoothies, it got pretty gross on that gasket and I didn't want any rotten fruit left on there. So comparing a $50 blender that I never wanted to use vs a $300 blender that gets used regularly, it was totally worth it to me.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »
I think MMM's tool advice aplies. Buy the cheap tool at first - if you end up using it enough to break it, you know it is worth buying the expensive high quaility one. Of course others have pointed out that your average $20 *mart blender simply is not capable of some things a Vitamix makes easy. If you think you want to do those things, but Vitamix might be too pricey, your cheap tool might be the Aldi model in the subject or a Kitchen Ninja.

As you can see, Vitamix users love them - carrying our out from the State Fair where we purchased a random stranger intercepts us "You got a Vitamix; I'm so happy for you!" and tells us that she was lucky enough to inherrit one (other relatives didn't have a clue why she cared about the 'blender'). A year and a half later (used at least once daily on average, probably closer to 10x/week), and I'm still unquestionably satisfied with the purchase - probably the most satisfactory purchase decision I have ever made.