Author Topic: Useless Professional Designations  (Read 56101 times)

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
Re: Useless Professional Designations
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:20 AM »
So, between the CFA and CFP, which is more highly regarded?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2016, 06:18:10 AM »
The only useless letters after my name are PhD, and it's a totally worthless title that anyone can get with just six to eight easy years of postgraduate education combined with a significant original contribution to the advancement of their field. 

And some people can be real douchebags about it, insisting that you call them "Dr." whatever.  Seriously?  It's not like you actually graduated from four years of postgraduate medical school.  Get over yourself.

My friend used to explain to everyone that the PhD stood for "Pretty Huge Dick".

prefixcactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
IT certificates tend to be meaningless crap in general, be it microsoft, cisco, oracle, whatever. People pay big bucks for this stuff and it does help them impress potential employers or clients, but in practice it says almost nothing about the person. (Note that I said meaningless, not useless. Impressing employers can be pretty useful in some situations.) The cost of those things is huge and is probably not worth it (especially considering the fact that a place where they judge you by the number of silly pieces of paper you have is probably not one where you want to work), but who am I to judge?

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
Basically anything that is the result of a few hours/days/weeks of work is pretty much useless:

* CSM (certified scrum master)
* PMP (project management professional)
* A+ (IT hardware cert)
* MCSE (Microsoft certified system's engineer) -- the worst of the entire bunch
* (any certification provided by a company, like microsoft above, to certify folks on their products)

(obviously I am in IT, hah)

If it's alphabet soup after your name that isn't the result of at least an associates degree, it's somewhere between worthless and a negative as far as I am concerned when hiring people. Never met a single person with that type of cert that could tie their own shoes let alone do real work in that area.

That said, I have several (company paid/required/incentivised) of my own, hah!

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »
Passing my actuarial exams so far has been useless because I'm apparently less qualified than a fresh college grad with no real world experience despite the fact I've worked 4 positions (all promotions) at a top insurance company for 2 years

At this point, I'll probably keep going just to get the designation to say I did something productive with my life even though I'll be working chain entry level jobs only requiring a Bachelor's that can be automated by a robot starting in 2020

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
In the design and construction realm, feels icky to put the trailing letters, but the list is...

LEED
R.A.
P.E.
PMP

Put them all together on a business card or email and people might be laughing more than being impressed.
While I agree that it is icky to include the trailing letters, P.E. and (formerly) R.A. allow people to stamp drawings, so they are hardly useless. R.A. is not a current designation, though, because architects are licensed, not registered.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
So, between the CFA and CFP, which is more highly regarded?

IMO which one is more highly regarded would depend on context. I would go with CFP when talking about financial planning / financial advising.  I would go with the CFA when looking at corporate investing, investment banking, private equity, venture capital types of things.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
The only useless letters after my name are PhD, and it's a totally worthless title that anyone can get with just six to eight easy years of postgraduate education combined with a significant original contribution to the advancement of their field. 

And some people can be real douchebags about it, insisting that you call them "Dr." whatever.  Seriously?  It's not like you actually graduated from four years of postgraduate medical school.  Get over yourself.

My friend used to explain to everyone that the PhD stood for "Pretty Huge Dick".
My dad's explanation of it was
BS = Bullshit
MS = More Shit
PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
All those letters that the people in the movie credits put after their names

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »

* MCSE (Microsoft certified system's engineer) -- the worst of the entire bunch

Also known as Must Consult Someone Experienced !

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!