Author Topic: Unethical ways to save money  (Read 145246 times)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Unethical ways to save money
« Reply #700 on: December 06, 2019, 06:05:50 AM »
We ordered a new computer online. Tracking said it was delivered (at noon while we were both at work). It wasn't on the porch when we got home, nor was it on the porches of any neighbors around us, so we assumed porch pirates. We contacted Wal-Mart, and they sent out another one, no questions asked.

Late last night, someone a block away posted on FB that they had our package. We got online and cancelled the shipment of the second computer.

But...I guess we found an unethical (and illegal) way to make money.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #701 on: December 07, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
We ordered a new computer online. Tracking said it was delivered (at noon while we were both at work). It wasn't on the porch when we got home, nor was it on the porches of any neighbors around us, so we assumed porch pirates. We contacted Wal-Mart, and they sent out another one, no questions asked.

Late last night, someone a block away posted on FB that they had our package. We got online and cancelled the shipment of the second computer.

Do it more than a couple of times and they'll catch on. Choose wisely.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: December 07, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »
A co worker of DH woud do the following:

Order lunch from a fast food place or semi-counter service, with very complex changes to it.   When he received the order, he would complain that it was wrong and have them remake it for free.   He would somehow get to eat both lunches or get it free.  (Smooth talker?  Drive thru where they don't ask for food back?)

I think that when they got the order correct, he would still complain and no one would be able to remember absolutely what it orginally was, so same difference, free lunch.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: December 08, 2019, 05:48:23 AM »
It costs about $25 to recycle a TV where I live.  I'm sure this cost has led many in search of a quiet stretch of road or a well hidden dumpster.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #704 on: December 08, 2019, 06:09:59 AM »
It costs about $25 to recycle a TV where I live.  I'm sure this cost has led many in search of a quiet stretch of road or a well hidden dumpster.

I see that all the time including gigantic, old couches on the side of the road, tables, recliner chairs. My town used to have once a year bulky waste pick up but has not done that in years. We have a recycling center but it costs something for a yearly permit. I know people who cut up tires with Sawzall's then throw them in their garbage can, dismantle microwaves and throw them in the garbage can.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

Do it more than a couple of times and they'll catch on. Choose wisely.

We would certainly never do it. It was probably irresponsible to even post that it's possible.

However...

While Wal-Mart did cancel the shipment of the second computer, they refunded the money for the one we paid for, instead of the free one, so I just got $100 refunded to my credit card. I don't even know how to go about fixing that, and it's not really worth the effort to me to figure it out. If Wal-Mart comes asking for the money, I'll have it. In the meantime, I guess we accidentally got a free computer.

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
what kind of computer are you buying for $100, a calculator?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: December 10, 2019, 05:17:34 AM »
what kind of computer are you buying for $100, a calculator?

Chromebook

Milkshake

• Bristles
« Reply #708 on: December 10, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
I've decided mistakes by large companies like that are their responsibility to monitor and resolve. Our regional grocery store messes up at least one thing on the receipt EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Sign says it's on sale, ring it up full price. Sign says it not on sale, still ring it up more expensive than the sign. So frustrating, and 99.9% of the time it's in their favor, not mine. So the 0.1% of the time where they do screw up in my favor, it's their turn to catch it, I don't say anything. Unethical? Maybe. I think stealing from the people who don't pay attention to their receipts is more unethical.

Small business on the other hand, absolutely I tell them to take their money back. They usually can't afford mistakes like that.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #709 on: December 10, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
I've decided mistakes by large companies like that are their responsibility to monitor and resolve. Our regional grocery store messes up at least one thing on the receipt EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Sign says it's on sale, ring it up full price. Sign says it not on sale, still ring it up more expensive than the sign. So frustrating, and 99.9% of the time it's in their favor, not mine. So the 0.1% of the time where they do screw up in my favor, it's their turn to catch it, I don't say anything. Unethical? Maybe. I think stealing from the people who don't pay attention to their receipts is more unethical.

Small business on the other hand, absolutely I tell them to take their money back. They usually can't afford mistakes like that.
We have a price accuracy policy here that means if something is rung up wrong, you get the item for free (under $10) or $10 off the right price. I got really lucky when peanut butter I was buying was rung up at the regular price instead of the sale price and it was over $10 bucks so I ended up getting like 2 pounds for $1.50 or something ridiculous like that. I also got a big bag of charcoal for $3 instead of $13 once. Not unethical, but a lucky way to save some money.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »

I've encountered the exact same issue at my local supermarket. It has gotten fucking ridiculous, and I've diverted a lot of my business elsewhere because of it. And no, I don't feel it is unethical when I ignore the rare error in my favor, because based on the rate of my losses, they are way ahead. I wish they had a process of reimbursing the customer for the trouble of pointing out their countless mistakes, as PoutineLover describes.

On the other hand, I don't feel that the size of a company should be relevant to the ethics of the situation.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #711 on: December 10, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
Grocery stores are notorious for errors. One time my Hub went to a smaller IGA store and picked up a few bags of groceries. He paid for it and came home. I usually always scan the receipt and there was an item for something like $20. I asked him what it was and finally we determined it was some kind of gourmet coffee that he never bought! Are you kidding me! I could see if someone left it on the belt by mistake and it was scanned and bagged and we came home with it but there was no coffee. So, tell me, how did that item get scanned onto our receipt? Seems like a scam to me! This is a locally owned store and not a chain. Years ago we used to know this butcher that was a real scammer. He would cut meat and leave his butcher knife on the scale while 'weighing' the meat. You do that enough times, lots of money in his pocket.

namasteyall

• Stubble
« Reply #712 on: December 14, 2019, 01:54:48 AM »
Comments after this report are good!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mattresses-are-the-new-target-for-thieves-at-five-star-hotels-fs8d9kml3

A bit difficult to get on the flight home!

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #713 on: December 19, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »

Our grocery store sends us "only for you" coupons for stuff we frequently buy. These coupons are good for a month or two. I accidentally one time provided a coupon for something I didn't purchase that trip....it rang up the discount as some generic discount code.

I now go back-and-forth on whether to use these coupons regardless if buying the items they're for or not...my wife says just use them but I have trouble with it ethically. Sometimes I will forget the coupons, but had planned to use them...I then rationalize the use of that coupon on my next trip haha

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #714 on: December 19, 2019, 06:38:55 AM »
I ordered some items on a website, for in-store pick-up.  Approximate value ~$60.
I picked up the items in-store.
The person in the store apparently did not code my order as having been picked up.
I subsequently received several email reminders, begging me to "pick up my items."
After several days, I was notified that the order was cancelled and my credit card was credited back the entire amount.
I did contact the online-chat support team for this retail company, and told them what happened. They said they would fix it.
It's been over a month, and I haven't been re-charged for the items.
I'm slightly annoyed, to the point that I'm not going to follow up again with them and hound them to take my money.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #715 on: December 19, 2019, 08:03:50 AM »
I may or may not be pirating The Mandalorian. I fully intend to buy it if/when it is released on blu-ray. Just not interested in paying for Disney+. I have plenty of entertainment, and I really hate having little subscriptions left and right bleeding me dry, so I don't play that game. (or so I think)

Tacopwr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #716 on: December 20, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
I shop at Aldi with just a reusable bag. Once they put my stuff in the cart at checkout, I take that cart outside and return it for a free 25 cents. It's a pretty solid side hustle.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #717 on: December 20, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
I shop at Aldi with just a reusable bag. Once they put my stuff in the cart at checkout, I take that cart outside and return it for a free 25 cents. It's a pretty solid side hustle.

Assuming your Aldi has the same setup as the one I shop at, this is an unforgiveable offense.

The cart is there so they have somewhere to place items after they're scanned. If you take the cart it messes up the chain and  the cashier will need to go find another cart. I'm surprised a cashier would even let you walk away with their cart.

Tacopwr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #718 on: December 20, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »

Assuming your Aldi has the same setup as the one I shop at, this is an unforgiveable offense.

The cart is there so they have somewhere to place items after they're scanned. If you take the cart it messes up the chain and  the cashier will need to go find another cart. I'm surprised a cashier would even let you walk away with their cart.

I thought the same thing, but they insisted I move it out of their way. I'm guessing it is to offset the people who do the opposite. Shop with a cart and put everything into bags and walk out.

My Aldi is definitely a little weird compared to others, though. Not a lot of space around the checkout area and the whole store is very serial in design. Really short on space and its impossible to turn around. Carts are a pain so I think they just needed space.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #719 on: December 20, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
I may or may not be pirating The Mandalorian. I fully intend to buy it if/when it is released on blu-ray. Just not interested in paying for Disney+. I have plenty of entertainment, and I really hate having little subscriptions left and right bleeding me dry, so I don't play that game. (or so I think)

This is a good one.  Unethical, one I'm guilty of, and also one I feel zero guilt over.  When streaming services first come out I was excited at the idea of paying $12/mo to watch everything I wanted.  As soon as the first of them came out with exclusive content I went 'welp, so much for that', and it's only gotten worse since.  I'll gladly pay $12 (or more) per month to watch what I want, but I'm not paying for 6 different services to watch a little of what I want on each.  Get your shit together, streaming services.  Your 'exclusive content' is having the opposite effect of what you want.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: December 20, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »

I thought the same thing, but they insisted I move it out of their way. I'm guessing it is to offset the people who do the opposite. Shop with a cart and put everything into bags and walk out.

My Aldi is definitely a little weird compared to others, though. Not a lot of space around the checkout area and the whole store is very serial in design. Really short on space and its impossible to turn around. Carts are a pain so I think they just needed space.

In that case I apologize for my harsh words.

Do they have the giant Costco size carts? Those things are awful.

Our location upgraded to the larger carts, presumably because they were anticipating renovations to increase aisle width, but they had the carts for almost a year before the renovations. Two carts could pass each other, but only with inches to spare. The frustration of shoppers was palpable.

Anywho, perhaps you will see renovations in the near future? The carts will still be too big though...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »

This is a good one.  Unethical, one I'm guilty of, and also one I feel zero guilt over.  When streaming services first come out I was excited at the idea of paying $12/mo to watch everything I wanted.  As soon as the first of them came out with exclusive content I went 'welp, so much for that', and it's only gotten worse since.  I'll gladly pay $12 (or more) per month to watch what I want, but I'm not paying for 6 different services to watch a little of what I want on each.  Get your shit together, streaming services.  Your 'exclusive content' is having the opposite effect of what you want.

We rotate between services when we finish off our favorites. We are currently on BritBox. We do have PBS concurrently with others, but we have always donated to our local station.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #722 on: December 20, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »

In that case I apologize for my harsh words.

Do they have the giant Costco size carts? Those things are awful.

Our location upgraded to the larger carts, presumably because they were anticipating renovations to increase aisle width, but they had the carts for almost a year before the renovations. Two carts could pass each other, but only with inches to spare. The frustration of shoppers was palpable.

Anywho, perhaps you will see renovations in the near future? The carts will still be too big though...

You think Costco carts are big?  Try going to Target.  That thing is a land boat.

Tacopwr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #723 on: December 23, 2019, 06:49:26 AM »
Yup we have the gargantuan carts as well. What is crazy is that people actually fill them!

Every time I go in there at least one person in line has stuff piled high. There are only so many product in that store. Maybe they can keep their food for a month somehow but if I bought that much crap at once, it would all spoil.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #724 on: February 18, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
No, the legal system's approach of innocent until guilty is a fantastic idea!  But that's referring to how the court and legal system treat you.  If you committed a crime, you know that you did it.  There's no need for proof to yourself.  Claiming that you're not guilty of the crime is therefore dishonest/unethical.

I know that? Hell, no. The law (especially case law) is enormously complex. I don't know that, you don't know that.

I am not a lawyer specialized in this area, therefore I am not qualified to determine whether I broke the law or not. Innocent until proven guilty.

Claiming you understand the law without passing the bar and specializing in that area is unethical.

Let me get this straight.  You are driving in your car.  You see the posted speed limit.  You drive faster than the limit.  You are pulled over for speeding - resulting in a ticket.  But you don't know that you've broken the law unless you have a law degree specializing in speeding tickets?

You really think that way?

How about this example:

I went grocery shopping at 10:00 in a town with a population of ~150k. As you leave the parking lot to get back on the main road, there is a sign stating, "No Left Turn." There's no traffic on the road, so I turn left and get pulled over as a result.

My argument is this: that sign is there to prevent people from holding up traffic exiting the parking lot when the road is busy. If the road is not busy, the sign's purpose is moot. Had I received a ticket, I would have made an argument that the law was stupid and did not need to be followed in those circumstances.

Almost this exact example happened to me. I was in Virginia for a business trip, it was late at night, and I was hungry. The fast-food restaurants were to the left from my hotel, but it was a right turn only out of the hotel. I took the right turn and then planned to make a U-turn at the next available opportunity. When I hit the next intersection, I stopped and waited for the light to change. There was one other car facing the other way, but otherwise the six-lane highway and adjacent mall were empty. I proceeded to make the U-turn when I got the green arrow, and then was quickly pulled over by the police cruiser who was that other car. Apparently in my dazed state, I had seen the no U-turn sign but failed to register it.

So this was clearly a bullshit ticket, but what was there to fight? (Plus I wasn't flying back to Virginia for the privilege.) I wrote out the check to the "Nazis of Virginia", and it was cashed.

Sounds like you tried to do something unethical to keep the check from getting cashed. Fits in with this thread perfectly.

Your clairvoyance is astounding, because that was my thought process: "I bet they will be too scared to cash a check if I insult them." Or perhaps it was anger mixed with some small amount of hope that the police force would get feedback regarding its draconian enforcement of the laws?

This is a fascinating take on the event.  I recently ran a red light for the same reason -- I either didn't see it or it just didn't register it.  My take on it though was almost the exact opposite of yours.  I felt as if this was a good wake up call to be more attentive at all times, especially when I'm unfamiliar with the area.  In fact, I thought that paying the check would cause me enough psychological pain that I would be more careful in the future.  I wonder what it is that makes you feel as if they are unfairly and draconian-ly ticketing you, but I felt as if it was someone doing his job that may give me the opportunity to be less distracted and that may actually save my life or someone else's.  I was actually thankful that I got busted for running the light because if I hadn't, I would still think I never make mistakes behind the wheel. 

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #725 on: February 18, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
I know this is a thread for unethical ways to "save" money but some people might think this is an unethical way to make money. Not sure how people will take this but what the hell.

I'm sort of an "accidental pimp". At least that's what my wife calls me. I have a friend who is an escort. She posts regularly on various escort sites. She said she does it for the money and "adventure". She's quite intelligent and a bit of a free spirit. I'm not opposed to anyone willingly offering their services for money but I get concerned about the random strangers that seek her out over the internet. So one day we were out for drinks and I told her how I felt. She said "well, if you're so concerned then send me some referrals. I'm sure you know plenty of guys." I jokingly just said "Ok, I'll see what I can do" and we left it at that. Well anyway, fast forward just 2 weeks, I was talking to an old work colleague who said he went to one of those "asian massage" parlors, like the one Robert Kraft went to (we were actually at mutual friends house to watch a Patriots playoff game). I told him that some of those women probably have no choice or are not willing participants. He chose to act ignorant and said "well she seemed pretty happy and content with the tip I left". So I casually told this guy that I know a woman who is an escort (willingly). I told him I have no idea what she charges but she told me to send her referrals so that way she won't have to deal with as many creepy strangers from the internet. He said, "really?" I said, "yeah". So I gave him her number. Well, fast forward only 3 days and I get a text from my escort friend that said "hey, thanks for sending your friend, check your Venmo". Sure enough, there's $50 in my Venmo account and it says "referral fee". I told my wife and she said, "doesn't that make you a pimp, like an accidental pimp?" I said, "well, yeah, I guess I'm kind of pimped her out but I wasn't expecting any money". It doesn't stop there. About a month later, I saw a friend from college days walking out of a grocery store. We small talked for about 10 minutes near my car. He told me he got a divorce recently and it feels so good to be "free". I asked him if he's on dating sites or anything and he said "no, I'm just gonna have some fun for a while". I said "well, I kind of know someone that can help you with that if you're willing to pay" He said, "really? I said "yeah". Again, this time about a week later, I get another text from my escort friend that said "keep them cumming!$$" (I guess there was a pun intended there). Another deposit into my Venmo but this time it was $75. I assume my college buddy gave a bigger donation. So all of this was about 2 years ago. I won't continue to give you every scenario but since I started referring people to my escort friend, I've made about $600. My biggest deposit being $100. I didn't ask her how she determines how much she sends me and didn't want to know.  I told her I didn't feel right about taking the money but she insisted I keep it and suggested I donate it if I didn't want to keep it. I want to clear up one thing so you don't think I'm too much of a scumbag, I don't refer men that I know are married. I don't want to have a hand in potentially breaking up a marriage.

My friend also set me straight about sex workers in general. She said massage parlors can get "kind of shady" but most escorts are not desperate drug addicted women with daddy issues. Many of them that she knows, including herself, enjoy the line of work but admitted that it comes with risks but most guys are pretty cool about it and are also lonely.

So there you go. I guess I'm an accidental pimp.

(please don't ask me for her number. While you're probably a good person, you still fall into the category of "internet stranger", besides, if you're on this forum, it's not likely you're gonna pay for it unless you have a coupon or something)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:25:23 PM by Mrbeardedbigbucks »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: February 18, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
I took the airport access road (free) instead of the toll road (about $8) to visit my mom this weekend. It requires about 5 additional minutes of driving at 15 mph around the airport loop. 
I think I'm gonna do that again.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: February 18, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »
This is a fascinating take on the event.  I recently ran a red light for the same reason -- I either didn't see it or it just didn't register it.  My take on it though was almost the exact opposite of yours.  I felt as if this was a good wake up call to be more attentive at all times, especially when I'm unfamiliar with the area.  In fact, I thought that paying the check would cause me enough psychological pain that I would be more careful in the future.  I wonder what it is that makes you feel as if they are unfairly and draconian-ly ticketing you, but I felt as if it was someone doing his job that may give me the opportunity to be less distracted and that may actually save my life or someone else's.  I was actually thankful that I got busted for running the light because if I hadn't, I would still think I never make mistakes behind the wheel.

I guess I prefer for police to have some discretion when they hand out tickets. I was technically in the wrong, but considering the specifics of the case* and the fact that policemen generally don't give themselves tickets when they break every technical rule, I thought a warning to be more careful would have been appropriate. Hence, 'Nazis'.

*To include the fact that nobody was remotely in danger (at least anymore than usual when driving 4,000 lb steel cages).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: February 18, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »

I guess I prefer for police to have some discretion when they hand out tickets. I was technically in the wrong, but considering the specifics of the case* and the fact that policemen generally don't give themselves tickets when they break every technical rule, I thought a warning to be more careful would have been appropriate. Hence, 'Nazis'.

*To include the fact that nobody was remotely in danger (at least anymore than usual when driving 4,000 lb steel cages).

Maybe you can explain to me.  Here's what I read: 

You were at an intersection with a no U-turn sign, and you made a U-turn.  You believe that because you looked around and no one (except a police car) was around, you could make a U-turn.  You then are upset that you received a ticket. 

Here's the difference between externalizing and internalizing:  Externalizing:  you believe the police were in the wrong for doing their jobs at what was a marked intersection. 
Internalizing:  "oh wow, I didn't even notice that sign.  Come to think of it, I didn't notice the cop there either.  I was 'in my haze', so maybe I might have missed something else as well.  This is a wake up call and I got off lucky.  I'm glad I didn't hurt anyone." 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »

You were at an intersection with a no U-turn sign, and you made a U-turn.  You believe that because you looked around and no one (except a police car) was around, you could make a U-turn.  You then are upset that you received a ticket. 

Here's the difference between externalizing and internalizing:  Externalizing:  you believe the police were in the wrong for doing their jobs at what was a marked intersection. 
Internalizing:  "oh wow, I didn't even notice that sign.  Come to think of it, I didn't notice the cop there either.  I was 'in my haze', so maybe I might have missed something else as well.  This is a wake up call and I got off lucky.  I'm glad I didn't hurt anyone."

Absolutely right.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #730 on: February 18, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
I outright ignore traffic laws that I believe serve no purpose. I started this off by mentioning that I got pulled over for turning left out of a parking lot with a "No Left Turn" sign. I also frequently turn left at traffic lights where the light is green for people going straight, but for some reason have a red left arrow.

I'm fully prepared to stand before a judge and argue that I shouldn't have to follow a law that serves no purpose.

More often than not, the law serves a purpose at certain times of the day, such as when traffic is heavier. However, if the road is empty, I shouldn't have to sit at a red left arrow.

That's very different from running a red light because you weren't paying attention.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: February 18, 2020, 09:38:03 PM »
I know this is a thread for unethical ways to "save" money but some people might think this is an unethical way to make money. Not sure how people will take this but what the hell.

I'm sort of an "accidental pimp". At least that's what my wife calls me. I have a friend who is an escort. She posts regularly on various escort sites. She said she does it for the money and "adventure". She's quite intelligent and a bit of a free spirit. I'm not opposed to anyone willingly offering their services for money but I get concerned about the random strangers that seek her out over the internet. So one day we were out for drinks and I told her how I felt. She said "well, if you're so concerned then send me some referrals. I'm sure you know plenty of guys." I jokingly just said "Ok, I'll see what I can do" and we left it at that. Well anyway, fast forward just 2 weeks, I was talking to an old work colleague who said he went to one of those "asian massage" parlors, like the one Robert Kraft went to (we were actually at mutual friends house to watch a Patriots playoff game). I told him that some of those women probably have no choice or are not willing participants. He chose to act ignorant and said "well she seemed pretty happy and content with the tip I left". So I casually told this guy that I know a woman who is an escort (willingly). I told him I have no idea what she charges but she told me to send her referrals so that way she won't have to deal with as many creepy strangers from the internet. He said, "really?" I said, "yeah". So I gave him her number. Well, fast forward only 3 days and I get a text from my escort friend that said "hey, thanks for sending your friend, check your Venmo". Sure enough, there's $50 in my Venmo account and it says "referral fee". I told my wife and she said, "doesn't that make you a pimp, like an accidental pimp?" I said, "well, yeah, I guess I'm kind of pimped her out but I wasn't expecting any money". It doesn't stop there. About a month later, I saw a friend from college days walking out of a grocery store. We small talked for about 10 minutes near my car. He told me he got a divorce recently and it feels so good to be "free". I asked him if he's on dating sites or anything and he said "no, I'm just gonna have some fun for a while". I said "well, I kind of know someone that can help you with that if you're willing to pay" He said, "really? I said "yeah". Again, this time about a week later, I get another text from my escort friend that said "keep them cumming!$$" (I guess there was a pun intended there). Another deposit into my Venmo but this time it was $75. I assume my college buddy gave a bigger donation. So all of this was about 2 years ago. I won't continue to give you every scenario but since I started referring people to my escort friend, I've made about $600. My biggest deposit being $100. I didn't ask her how she determines how much she sends me and didn't want to know.  I told her I didn't feel right about taking the money but she insisted I keep it and suggested I donate it if I didn't want to keep it. I want to clear up one thing so you don't think I'm too much of a scumbag, I don't refer men that I know are married. I don't want to have a hand in potentially breaking up a marriage.

My friend also set me straight about sex workers in general. She said massage parlors can get "kind of shady" but most escorts are not desperate drug addicted women with daddy issues. Many of them that she knows, including herself, enjoy the line of work but admitted that it comes with risks but most guys are pretty cool about it and are also lonely.

(please don't ask me for her number. While you're probably a good person, you still fall into the category of "internet stranger", besides, if you're on this forum, it's not likely you're gonna pay for it unless you have a coupon or something)
Can't believe no one has commented on this post. Gave me my first big laugh of the day. And you're not really a pimp... pimps run girls. You're just referring business to an independant contractor.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #732 on: February 18, 2020, 09:43:38 PM »
So, unethical way to save money, also falls under 'complete asshat way to save money': ripping out the pages of the 'Top 100 Dividend Stocks' in the library's only copy of MoneySense magazine because you are too much of a cheap, shitty, asshat fuckwad to pay 10c each to copy them. OR BORROW the magazine FOR FREE and write them down at home on the back of discarded photocopies from the office like a proper badass would do.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #733 on: February 19, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
I outright ignore traffic laws that I believe serve no purpose. I started this off by mentioning that I got pulled over for turning left out of a parking lot with a "No Left Turn" sign. I also frequently turn left at traffic lights where the light is green for people going straight, but for some reason have a red left arrow.

I'm fully prepared to stand before a judge and argue that I shouldn't have to follow a law that serves no purpose.

More often than not, the law serves a purpose at certain times of the day, such as when traffic is heavier. However, if the road is empty, I shouldn't have to sit at a red left arrow.

That's very different from running a red light because you weren't paying attention.

Ah, I see you are one of the rare wonders that never makes a mistake.  Impossible that you would overlook another car with right of way and cause an accident.  Kudos.  For all the other normal people out there, we need to have extra layers of safety to reduce the chances of injury and death.  Otherwise we could simply replace all red lights everywhere with flashing yellow lights and everything would work out fine.  Red lights serve no purpose as long as people don't fuck up.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #734 on: February 19, 2020, 02:36:24 AM »

I'd like to watch this.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #735 on: February 19, 2020, 03:19:25 AM »

Can't believe no one has commented on this post. Gave me my first big laugh of the day. And you're not really a pimp... pimps run girls. You're just referring business to an independant contractor.

Thanks, happy you don't think I'm too much of a jerk. Some people can get a bit virtuous on these forums.

Pimping isn't for everyone but it's an easy part time income.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: February 19, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »

I'd like to watch this.

I mean, I spent 10 minutes arguing with a cop over the purpose of the "No Left Turn" sign leaving a Wal-Mart parking lot. He planned to only give a warning from the beginning, and I almost argued my way into a ticket.

I'm sorry if some cop can't understand context.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #737 on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:25 AM »
So, unethical way to save money, also falls under 'complete asshat way to save money': ripping out the pages of the 'Top 100 Dividend Stocks' in the library's only copy of MoneySense magazine because you are too much of a cheap, shitty, asshat fuckwad to pay 10c each to copy them. OR BORROW the magazine FOR FREE and write them down at home on the back of discarded photocopies from the office like a proper badass would do.
Or take a picture with your damn phone.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #738 on: February 19, 2020, 07:26:34 AM »

I'd like to watch this.

I mean, I spent 10 minutes arguing with a cop over the purpose of the "No Left Turn" sign leaving a Wal-Mart parking lot. He planned to only give a warning from the beginning, and I almost argued my way into a ticket.

I'm sorry if some cop can't understand context.

I get your intention, but honestly, this is the type of behavior that kids do.  My nephew used to want to argue absolutely everything in the world that didn't make sense and it was simply exhausting.  After a while, I just gave up and nodded.  Maybe that's your goal. 
Truthfully, sometimes I just follow rules, even if they don't make sense, so that someone else's day isn't ruined or their time wasted by having to enforce a stupid rule.  Sometimes society needs a disrupter and sometimes you just need to follow the rules.  I'm not the judge of you.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2020, 07:32:38 AM »

This sounds like a win/win. She gets vetted clients, you get to help your friends/acquaintances. Would you feel conflicted about a referral bonus if she was, like, a house cleaner? You probably wouldn't send anyone to her who was, like, a hoarder or had 20 cats and dogs, right? What you're doing is the same thing if you strip away the moralizing we have around sex work.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »

Thanks DadJokes for putting this better than I could have.

I'm trying to fully understand the flip side of the argument. I'm saying that context matters when applying the law; that cops are given discretion for when to apply the law for this reason; and that indiscriminate application of the law is counterproductive to a lawful society, particularly when the application no longer follows from the purpose of the law (in this case, public safety).

What I'm not saying is that one shouldn't respect the law. Or that one shouldn't respect law enforcement.

I'd like to watch this.

Though you weren't around to watch, I've done this. I was pulled over for "running a stop sign". I went to court, explained to the judge I didn't come to a complete stop though I slowed down close to zero, and that the reason I didn't come to a complete stop was because the three-way stop sign intersection was visibly clear so that I could proceed. Additionally, I felt this violation was not in the spirit of the law of running stop signs, especially considering the very large fine. The judge confirmed the facts with the cop, then dismissed him. He then told me he couldn't eliminate the infraction, but he significantly reduced my fine (to something like a third).

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »

Ah, I see you are one of the rare wonders that never makes a mistake.  Impossible that you would overlook another car with right of way and cause an accident.  Kudos.  For all the other normal people out there, we need to have extra layers of safety to reduce the chances of injury and death.  Otherwise we could simply replace all red lights everywhere with flashing yellow lights and everything would work out fine.  Red lights serve no purpose as long as people don't fuck up.

I know you're trying to be a smart ass there, but I find it odd how often people aren't paying attention on the road. Maybe it's years of riding a motorcycle where it feels like everyone is trying to kill you, but I really don't zone out on the road where mistakes get people killed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of 'zoning out'.  People are human, and we all make mistakes and suffer from poor judgement from time to time.  You might be the world's most attentive driver . . . and that will reduce the number of mistakes that you make, but it doesn't eliminate them.  Maybe you only make a mistake once in ten thousand times.  Don't let that admirable attentiveness and great track record give you a false sense of security that you then justify to erode the safety achieved by following the rules.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:19 AM »

This sounds like a win/win. She gets vetted clients, you get to help your friends/acquaintances. Would you feel conflicted about a referral bonus if she was, like, a house cleaner? You probably wouldn't send anyone to her who was, like, a hoarder or had 20 cats and dogs, right? What you're doing is the same thing if you strip away the moralizing we have around sex work.

Thank you, never thought if it that way. Maybe I’ll increase my network of escorts and make this a legitimate part time income. How on earth would I describe my part time income when I file taxes?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
Thank you, never thought if it that way. Maybe I’ll increase my network of escorts and make this a legitimate part time income. How on earth would I describe my part time income when I file taxes?

Recreational Services Liaison

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »

Nah.  It's just advertising.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »
Though you weren't around to watch, I've done this. I was pulled over for "running a stop sign". I went to court, explained to the judge I didn't come to a complete stop though I slowed down close to zero, and that the reason I didn't come to a complete stop was because the three-way stop sign intersection was visibly clear so that I could proceed. Additionally, I felt this violation was not in the spirit of the law of running stop signs, especially considering the very large fine. The judge confirmed the facts with the cop, then dismissed him. He then told me he couldn't eliminate the infraction, but he significantly reduced my fine (to something like a third).

I went to college in possibly the most crime-ridden city in the US at the time. I also worked as a waitress and drove home late at night.  I wracked up so many tickets (parking, running red lights, going the wrong way on one-way streets, etc)  I finally went to court and had them all dismissed because I explained to the judge that I was always cautious when I broke the rules, but I didn't want to be a sitting duck at a red light, or take the one-way because it forced me to drive behind my own building and out of sight.  All tickets were dismissed at once, with the judge saying he didn't blame me and wouldn't want his daughter to take risks either.  Looking back, I'm so ashamed that I didn't realize that I was using white privilege and I was the epitome of the "I'm cute and white" girl that we find so repulsive now.   To put it bluntly,  I knew I would get away with anything I did because of what I looked like and because I "came from a good family".  Never in a million years did I think I would pay for a single ticket and I never did.    I also wasted the court's time and made a mockery out of justice...something that I'm so vehemently opposed to today. 

I think if you want to overturn something, it might be more effective to find a way that helps everyone

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2020, 09:55:53 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of 'zoning out'.  People are human, and we all make mistakes and suffer from poor judgement from time to time.  You might be the world's most attentive driver . . . and that will reduce the number of mistakes that you make, but it doesn't eliminate them.  Maybe you only make a mistake once in ten thousand times.  Don't let that admirable attentiveness and great track record give you a false sense of security that you then justify to erode the safety achieved by following the rules.

As a cyclist, do you literally follow every rule?

For me, my bike doesn't trigger some of the street light sensors. Should I wait a long and unknown period of time for the next car to come behind me to trigger the light sensor? Or should I ensure there is no traffic coming before safely breaking the law?

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »

I went to college in possibly the most crime-ridden city in the US at the time. I also worked as a waitress and drove home late at night.  I wracked up so many tickets (parking, running red lights, going the wrong way on one-way streets, etc)  I finally went to court and had them all dismissed because I explained to the judge that I was always cautious when I broke the rules, but I didn't want to be a sitting duck at a red light, or take the one-way because it forced me to drive behind my own building and out of sight.  All tickets were dismissed at once, with the judge saying he didn't blame me and wouldn't want his daughter to take risks either.  Looking back, I'm so ashamed that I didn't realize that I was using white privilege and I was the epitome of the "I'm cute and white" girl that we find so repulsive now.   To put it bluntly,  I knew I would get away with anything I did because of what I looked like and because I "came from a good family".  Never in a million years did I think I would pay for a single ticket and I never did.    I also wasted the court's time and made a mockery out of justice...something that I'm so vehemently opposed to today. 

I think if you want to overturn something, it might be more effective to find a way that helps everyone.

I'm not suggesting any laws get overturned, only that discretion is used in enforcement of those laws. Sounds like the judge used discretion in your case, though it looks like he probably shouldn't have (at least to the extent that he did).

I don't think it is my (or your) responsibility to ensure a judge applies his judgments equitably, although I feel it is a necessary qualification for the job.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #749 on: February 19, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »

Nah.  It's just advertising.

But fancy words make better business cards.

ETA: Also I misread the question, not paying attention.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:17:21 PM by Davnasty »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!